FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Real action on climate

Real action on climate

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ackal1 OP   Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

The non appearance of the leaders of Russia and China at COP 26, along with pushbacks from vested interested countries such as Australia shows there are still huge problems with those countries taking our climate future seriously.

Is it now the time for us to make a statement and along with the rest of Western Europe start imposing very heavy import taxes on products made using coal fired energy?

Self righteous as we started it all but with those taxes we aid the poorer countries to develop clean fuels and hopefully force some manufacturing back to Europe. ( Yes Germany uses coal I know)

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

It's probably what needs to be done.

At the moment Europe (including the UK) are not reducing carbon.They are just exporting it.

We hamstring our own industry with green taxes and sky high energy charges but still import cheap goods from the worlds biggest polluters.

I'm all for cleaning up our act but (as one trade union leader recently put it) we can't import virtue and export jobs forever.

By *ackal1 OP   Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

Yes I agree with the union guy.

Business is moving towards green energy that’s fact but it’s economics that doing that.

So why not adjust the playing fields to favour green produced imported products. Electric cars are great but because the batteries are made in China or Germany the savings in carbon for an electric car against a petrol family car don’t start until after three years use. It’s a false impression that your electric car is massively greener. So tax the batteries of countries using coal . U.K. produced batteries would be cheaper.

» Add a new message to this topic