FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Barbados

Barbados

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ichiebig OP   Man  over a year ago

nenagh

So barbados has cut its final ties with the British crown and taken its place among the nations of the earth,a proud independent Republic, Prince Charles arrives, delivers a grovelling, but insincere apology for the wrongs of the past, then flies away never to be seen on those shores again, for the people of barbados, i say, this is your finest hour, and best wishes as you truly head for a genuine bright future

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Yet they still remain a member of the Commonwealth!

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

How are you so sure Prince Charles will never go back to Barbados ? Cliff Richard might invite him to his home there for Christmas

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

"So barbados has cut its final ties with the British crown and taken its place among the nations of the earth,a proud independent Republic, Prince Charles arrives, delivers a grovelling, but insincere apology for the wrongs of the past, then flies away never to be seen on those shores again, for the people of barbados, i say, this is your finest hour, and best wishes as you truly head for a genuine bright future "

Insincere? What you want walking over hot coals bear footed

Just more anti royal rubbish!

It’s about time they were independent not that they have actually even ruled over for quite a good many years now.

And Rihanna being called a National hero ffs she’s a multi millionaire pop star that’s it

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 01/12/21 08:38:21]

"So barbados has cut its final ties with the British crown and taken its place among the nations of the earth,a proud independent Republic, Prince Charles arrives, delivers a grovelling, but insincere apology for the wrongs of the past, then flies away never to be seen on those shores again, for the people of barbados, i say, this is your finest hour, and best wishes as you truly head for a genuine bright future

It’s about time they were independent not that they have actually even ruled over for quite a good many years now.

And Rihanna being called a National hero ffs she’s a multi millionaire pop star that’s it

"

She is very successful in business, has created a 1 billion pound business from nothing , far more impressive that anything the royal family have achieved

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

"So barbados has cut its final ties with the British crown and taken its place among the nations of the earth,a proud independent Republic, Prince Charles arrives, delivers a grovelling, but insincere apology for the wrongs of the past, then flies away never to be seen on those shores again, for the people of barbados, i say, this is your finest hour, and best wishes as you truly head for a genuine bright future "

I hope so as it’s a great place with lovely people. I’m worried they have sold their soul to China though. Huge construction projects on credit and China is bringing in their own labour which has already pissed off the locals as they were promised jobs.

Grantham

Prince Charles was given the Freedom of Barbados.

Interesting to read that this was done by Goverment decree, rather than the referendum that the people were promised.

The power lies with the Prime Minister, the President is just a figurehead. And the President is the former Queen's representative.

Barbados actually gained Independence in 1966.

Good luck to them.

Maldon

"How are you so sure Prince Charles will never go back to Barbados ? Cliff Richard might invite him to his home there for Christmas"

He’s a regular. I’ve often bumped into him at Sandy Lane.

By *al2001Man  over a year ago

kildare

"So barbados has cut its final ties with the British crown and taken its place among the nations of the earth,a proud independent Republic, Prince Charles arrives, delivers a grovelling, but insincere apology for the wrongs of the past, then flies away never to be seen on those shores again, for the people of barbados, i say, this is your finest hour, and best wishes as you truly head for a genuine bright future

"

They chose 1 of their own to honour,someone with talent who used it to get where they are in life

And they showed the queen and her talentless lot the door.

Did they strip her of all the profits of sla×€ry she still have in her coffers ?

Well done barbados.

Maldon

They chose 1 of their own to honour,someone with talent who used it to get where they are in life

Did they strip her of all the profits of sla×€ry she still have in her coffers ?

Well done barbados."

Or thank her for the role the UK, and in particular the Royal Navy played in ending it?

By *al2001Man  over a year ago

kildare

Well done barbados.

Or thank her for the role the UK, and in particular the Royal Navy played in ending it? "

Barbados should have thanked england for ending its sla^e trade????

Maldon

Well done barbados.

Or thank her for the role the UK, and in particular the Royal Navy played in ending it?

Barbados should have thanked england for ending its sla^e trade????"

Yes.

By *adetMan  over a year ago

Ipswich

Well done barbados.

Barbados should have thanked england for ending its sla^e trade????"

You seem to be forgetting about the large number of Irish who owned sl@ves and who were heavily compensated when England and America abolished it

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

Yes good for them, im all for countries who want to stand alone and indeed it is their finest hour just like the uk when it cut its ties with the eu and heads for a genuine bright future.I never thought we would ever agree.

By *or Fox SakeCouple  over a year ago

Thornaby

"So barbados has cut its final ties with the British crown and taken its place among the nations of the earth,a proud independent Republic, Prince Charles arrives, delivers a grovelling, but insincere apology for the wrongs of the past, then flies away never to be seen on those shores again, for the people of barbados, i say, this is your finest hour, and best wishes as you truly head for a genuine bright future Yes good for them, im all for countries who want to stand alone and indeed it is their finest hour just like the uk when it cut its ties with the eu and heads for a genuine bright future.I never thought we would ever agree. "

They don't want to "stand alone" - they've joined trade bodies

Barbados has signed and ratified the following trade agreements.

The CARICOM-Venezuela Trade and Investment Agreement. ...

The CARICOM-Colombia Trade, Economic and Technical Cooperation Agreement. ...

The CARICOM-Dominican Republic Free Trade Agreement. ...

The CARICOM-Cuba Trade and Economic Cooperation Agreement.

Ipswich

"So barbados has cut its final ties with the British crown and taken its place among the nations of the earth,a proud independent Republic, Prince Charles arrives, delivers a grovelling, but insincere apology for the wrongs of the past, then flies away never to be seen on those shores again, for the people of barbados, i say, this is your finest hour, and best wishes as you truly head for a genuine bright future Yes good for them, im all for countries who want to stand alone and indeed it is their finest hour just like the uk when it cut its ties with the eu and heads for a genuine bright future.I never thought we would ever agree.

The CARICOM-Cuba Trade and Economic Cooperation Agreement."

And don't forget the 400 million China has 'invested' as part of their Belt and Road initiative. AKA the 'debt trap'

Thornaby

"So barbados has cut its final ties with the British crown and taken its place among the nations of the earth,a proud independent Republic, Prince Charles arrives, delivers a grovelling, but insincere apology for the wrongs of the past, then flies away never to be seen on those shores again, for the people of barbados, i say, this is your finest hour, and best wishes as you truly head for a genuine bright future Yes good for them, im all for countries who want to stand alone and indeed it is their finest hour just like the uk when it cut its ties with the eu and heads for a genuine bright future.I never thought we would ever agree.

And don't forget the 400 million China has 'invested' as part of their Belt and Road initiative. AKA the 'debt trap' "

so not standing alone then

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

it’s natural a country wanting to go there own way good on them

Ipswich

And don't forget the 400 million China has 'invested' as part of their Belt and Road initiative. AKA the 'debt trap'

so not standing alone then"

Doesn't look like it but then I didn't say they were

Thornaby

Doesn't look like it but then I didn't say they were"

agreed, a country would have to be kind of daft to try and walk away from long established and functioning trade deals

By *iman2100Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

"grovelling, but insincere apology" - I know what he said. He did not grovel; he simply recognised the past.

He could have said "Count yourselves lucky Barbadians! You live in a comfortable homes, on a beautiful island, with jobs, in a safe stable democracy, built on years of beneficial British colonial rule and financial support. None of you here today have ever been sl*ves.

If my ancestors had not taken your ancestors from Africa you could be struggling to stay alive in war torn Cameroon, Somalia, South Sudan or the Central African Republic." Perhaps you would have rather he said that?

(Editors note: The above is Irony. The opinion expressed is not necessarily that of the author. Please do not engage in a long monologue on the evils of sl*very. Thank you.)

Ipswich

agreed, a country would have to be kind of daft to try and walk away from long established and functioning trade deals"

Maybe that's why they wanted to remain in the commonwealth

Thornaby

agreed, a country would have to be kind of daft to try and walk away from long established and functioning trade deals

Maybe that's why they wanted to remain in the commonwealth "

whilst the commonwealth facilitates some trade deals, thats not it's primary aim.

near ipswich

I hope so as it’s a great place with lovely people. I’m worried they have sold their soul to China though. Huge construction projects on credit and China is bringing in their own labour which has already pissed off the locals as they were promised jobs."

Its what china does and when they cant pay the repayments it takes the asset loan sharks on a national scale.

Ipswich

Maybe that's why they wanted to remain in the commonwealth

whilst the commonwealth facilitates some trade deals, thats not it's primary aim."

I know but on average 50% of trade that commonwealth countries do is with other commonwealth countries

Grantham

The amount that China is "loaning" the region is staggering, probably into the 10s of billions.

One of the conditions of this help, is that the recipient country cuts ties with Taiwan.

Worrying.

thornaby

"The amount that China is "loaning" the region is staggering, probably into the 10s of billions.

One of the conditions of this help, is that the recipient country cuts ties with Taiwan.

Worrying. "

sounds more like a bribe to me

Thornaby

"The amount that China is "loaning" the region is staggering, probably into the 10s of billions.

Worrying. sounds more like a bribe to me "

Chinas "belt asnd road initiative" - an attempt to create a sino-centric trading bloc.

Part of a much bigger picture, take a look at Mozambique and Angola

serious money getting thrown around

By *host63Man  over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

Well done Barbados. Now if only the UK coukd do the same

Grantham

Worrying. sounds more like a bribe to me

Chinas "belt asnd road initiative" - an attempt to create a sino-centric trading bloc.

serious money getting thrown around"

Closer to the EU, Montenegro is in hock to China for billions.

Its prompted the EU to try and set up a similar scheme.

Thornaby

Its prompted the EU to try and set up a similar scheme. "

And?

Grantham

And?"

And what? You don't understand the significance of Sino expansion?

Thornaby

And?

And what? You don't understand the significance of Sino expansion? "

Yes I understand the concept, I seem to recall posting about it.

I am struggling to see how a country at the end of the road and belt system is going to negatively be impacted, or its neighbours to be impacted. It does however remind me of Albanias flirtation with China.

Is your expectation Chinese air bases in Montenegro?

Grantham

And?

I am struggling to see how a country at the end of the road and belt system is going to negatively be impacted, or its neighbours to be impacted. It does however remind me of Albanias flirtation with China.

Is your expectation Chinese air bases in Montenegro?"

No, we knew about Sino expansion into Africa (mineral extraction), less so fringes of Europe (debt embarrassment) but now we get to know about the Carribean.

Whats their motive there? Why did Barbados forgo a promised referendum on becoming a republic?

Was it the promise of 490 million dollars from the Chinese?

I'm sure that the USA will view this foray into Barbados, Jamaica etc with some suspicion.

Thornaby

And?

Is your expectation Chinese air bases in Montenegro?

No, we knew about Sino expansion into Africa (mineral extraction), less so fringes of Europe (debt embarrassment) but now we get to know about the Carribean.

Whats their motive there? Why did Barbados forgo a promised referendum on becoming a republic?

Was it the promise of 490 million dollars from the Chinese?

I'm sure that the USA will view this foray into Barbados, Jamaica etc with some suspicion. "

Judging by the US previous behaviour as regards hostile states operating in the Carribbean, I don't think it's going to go down well.

nenagh

Its prompted the EU to try and set up a similar scheme. "

all very smug preaching to other countries the evils of being in dept to china for billions, when the uk is in hoc to china for trillons

Grantham

Its prompted the EU to try and set up a similar scheme. all very smug preaching to other countries the evils of being in dept to china for billions, when the uk is in hoc to china for trillons"

How many trillions does the UK owe China exactly?

Being in debt to another country isn't a problem per se. Its the ability to service that debt, and many of these countries do not and will not, have that facility.

nenagh

Its prompted the EU to try and set up a similar scheme. all very smug preaching to other countries the evils of being in dept to china for billions, when the uk is in hoc to china for trillons

Being in debt to another country isn't a problem per se. Its the ability to service that debt, and many of these countries do not and will not, have that facility. "

So the lecture continues, ok for the UK to have huge dept because "the UK is fit " to handle this dept, but you sit on your superior high horse and tu tu at how your former colonies are unfit to handle there own financial affairs

near ipswich

Its prompted the EU to try and set up a similar scheme. all very smug preaching to other countries the evils of being in dept to china for billions, when the uk is in hoc to china for trillons

Being in debt to another country isn't a problem per se. Its the ability to service that debt, and many of these countries do not and will not, have that facility. So the lecture continues, ok for the UK to have huge dept because "the UK is fit " to handle this dept, but you sit on your superior high horse and tu tu at how your former colonies are unfit to handle there own financial affairs "

I dont see it as a lecture or someone sitting on their high horse its a fact, if you cant repay your mortgage your house gets repossessed.Loan sharks come in all sizes.

Grantham

Being in debt to another country isn't a problem per se. Its the ability to service that debt, and many of these countries do not and will not, have that facility. So the lecture continues, ok for the UK to have huge dept because "the UK is fit " to handle this dept, but you sit on your superior high horse and tu tu at how your former colonies are unfit to handle there own financial affairs "

How many trillions does the UK owe China? You must know.

Its hardly a lecture, its a debate.

Did Barbados, wbich went independent in 1966, declare itself a republic due to Chinese money? A promised referendum didn't happen, and the Bajan's gad already rejected the idea twice before.

Cases like this start to shine a spotlight on Sino global expansion. Is it worrying to you, and are you just concerned with your usual anti-English agenda?

nenagh

Being in debt to another country isn't a problem per se. Its the ability to service that debt, and many of these countries do not and will not, have that facility. So the lecture continues, ok for the UK to have huge dept because "the UK is fit " to handle this dept, but you sit on your superior high horse and tu tu at how your former colonies are unfit to handle there own financial affairs

Did Barbados, wbich went independent in 1966, declare itself a republic due to Chinese money? A promised referendum didn't happen, and the Bajan's gad already rejected the idea twice before.

Cases like this start to shine a spotlight on Sino global expansion. Is it worrying to you, and are you just concerned with your usual anti-English agenda? "

i have been concerned with English interference in my country, and the country's of many of my friends all my life, the way the English continue to make agreements and break them before the ink is dry is a recurring feature of my country's history and indeed the history of every country that has the misfortune to be subject to Britain's cruel and unjust "Rule" you speak of the Chinese as they are empire building, exploring tyrants, but Britain has been the most cruel oppressors of small nations and peoples for the last 200 years, you fear the Chinese, and fear them you should, they especially have not forgotten the terrible things you did to there country, you English never remember the terrible things you have done, we who suffered those atrocities never forget,

Anyway ye are on your own now, on and up, bring on the sunny uplands, or some jibberish like that

Being in debt to another country isn't a problem per se. Its the ability to service that debt, and many of these countries do not and will not, have that facility. So the lecture continues, ok for the UK to have huge dept because "the UK is fit " to handle this dept, but you sit on your superior high horse and tu tu at how your former colonies are unfit to handle there own financial affairs

Cases like this start to shine a spotlight on Sino global expansion. Is it worrying to you, and are you just concerned with your usual anti-English agenda? i have been concerned with English interference in my country, and the country's of many of my friends all my life, the way the English continue to make agreements and break them before the ink is dry is a recurring feature of my country's history and indeed the history of every country that has the misfortune to be subject to Britain's cruel and unjust "Rule" you speak of the Chinese as they are empire building, exploring tyrants, but Britain has been the most cruel oppressors of small nations and peoples for the last 200 years, you fear the Chinese, and fear them you should, they especially have not forgotten the terrible things you did to there country, you English never remember the terrible things you have done, we who suffered those atrocities never forget,

Anyway ye are on your own now, on and up, bring on the sunny uplands, or some jibberish like that "

China invests money into places they know will not be paying back. It's what they do. They have done in Africa with mines. They have taken and now own a whole Port in some country after they couldnt pay stuff back.

They're not out to be your friends

Grantham

Cases like this start to shine a spotlight on Sino global expansion. Is it worrying to you, and are you just concerned with your usual anti-English agenda? i have been concerned with English interference in my country, and the country's of many of my friends all my life, the way the English continue to make agreements and break them before the ink is dry is a recurring feature of my country's history and indeed the history of every country that has the misfortune to be subject to Britain's cruel and unjust "Rule" you speak of the Chinese as they are empire building, exploring tyrants, but Britain has been the most cruel oppressors of small nations and peoples for the last 200 years, you fear the Chinese, and fear them you should, they especially have not forgotten the terrible things you did to there country, you English never remember the terrible things you have done, we who suffered those atrocities never forget,

Anyway ye are on your own now, on and up, bring on the sunny uplands, or some jibberish like that "

There's never been any doubt that UK colonialism has had many flaws. At one time we controlled one fifth of this planet, but the days of sending a gunboat are long over. After certain independence struggles after the second world war. we've never stopped any country that wants to leave our control from leaving.

Now we have 21st century colonialism in the form of China. It may not take a military form yet, although increasing incursions into Taiwan territory is worrying. Its more subtle, using economic might, exploiting weaker countries, building up influence in far corners of the world.

We only have to look at Hong Kong to see a broken agreement.

Sl*ve labour and genocide? Try the Chinese province of Xinjiang.

Are you seeing the parallels yet?

And to answer the question you can't or won't answer. The UK does not owe China trillions.

I hope so as it’s a great place with lovely people. I’m worried they have sold their soul to China though. Huge construction projects on credit and China is bringing in their own labour which has already pissed off the locals as they were promised jobs."

It'll be full of Chinese in a few years, big Chinese flag flying over Bridgetown, big island expansion by China, statue of Rihanna and American gunboats posturing

Bristol

I hope so as it’s a great place with lovely people. I’m worried they have sold their soul to China though. Huge construction projects on credit and China is bringing in their own labour which has already pissed off the locals as they were promised jobs.

It'll be full of Chinese in a few years, big Chinese flag flying over Bridgetown, big island expansion by China, statue of Rihanna and American gunboats posturing"

Yup just watch the Chinese billionaires building multimillion $ homes there

By *irtylittletramp100TV/TS  over a year ago

Notts

I heard it was changing its name to Chibados with a new language and a new flag

Bristol

"I heard it was changing its name to Chibados with a new language and a new flag "

We all know that the average Barbadian will not benefit at all from the Chinese money

thornaby

"I heard it was changing its name to Chibados with a new language and a new flag "
pmsl

Notts

"I heard it was changing its name to Chibados with a new language and a new flag

We all know that the average Barbadian will not benefit at all from the Chinese money "

it will be interesting if hong kong and chibados want to join forces in 10 years?

Bridgetown to Brijingtown

Dont be silly. It has always been chinese land.

"I heard it was changing its name to Chibados with a new language and a new flag

Dont be silly. It has always been chinese land. "

Lol those pesky Chinese

nenagh

Anyway ye are on your own now, on and up, bring on the sunny uplands, or some jibberish like that

There's never been any doubt that UK colonialism has had many flaws. At one time we controlled one fifth of this planet, but the days of sending a gunboat are long over. After certain independence struggles after the second world war. we've never stopped any country that wants to leave our control from leaving.

Now we have 21st century colonialism in the form of China. It may not take a military form yet, although increasing incursions into Taiwan territory is worrying. Its more subtle, using economic might, exploiting weaker countries, building up influence in far corners of the world.

We only have to look at Hong Kong to see a broken agreement.

Sl*ve labour and genocide? Try the Chinese province of Xinjiang.

Are you seeing the parallels yet?

And to answer the question you can't or won't answer. The UK does not owe China trillions. "

just stop for a moment, read back what you have just wrote above, take a deep breath, good,

Now explain to me why the rest of the world thing you English are a pack of clowns

Bristol

Someone does have a major chip on their shoulder don’t they

By *reavezMan  over a year ago

Bradford/ Leeds

Hope everyone is well here.

No offence to anyone but I couldn’t help but add to thread and sadly I’m disappointed by the thought process of some people.

I am a local to the island of Barbados.

I have seen the assistance and understand what life is under the monarchy and seen my island develop into where it’s at and the continuation of a lot antiquated polices and laws laid down by said monarch.

I don’t want to get into the politics of China US and UK but all is ask for you to take a step back and understand the perspective of a former colony… take a step back and ask what is life like there … take a step and think of us outside of your two week holiday destination

Appreciate everyone’s opinion here… stay fab and have great day ppls

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

A couple of things…

1) just because the queen isn’t head of state doesn’t mean they can’t be part of the commonwealth….

2) Caricom has been round for the best part of 50 years! Trade blocs based on the EU….

Notts

"Hope everyone is well here.

No offence to anyone but I couldn’t help but add to thread and sadly I’m disappointed by the thought process of some people.

I am a local to the island of Barbados.

I have seen the assistance and understand what life is under the monarchy and seen my island develop into where it’s at and the continuation of a lot antiquated polices and laws laid down by said monarch.

I don’t want to get into the politics of China US and UK but all is ask for you to take a step back and understand the perspective of a former colony… take a step back and ask what is life like there … take a step and think of us outside of your two week holiday destination

Appreciate everyone’s opinion here… stay fab and have great day ppls "

Ive taken a step back and think life is better there than on st lucia! hell hole, became independent 1979?

But in my limited experience of Caribbean islands, ive been to quite a few, the islands that had usa and brit input the taxis queued and the taxi drivers werent fighting each other and chasing customers into shops or blowing up foreigners boats! .... i have no idea ref interest rates, buying property or anything... but they seemed calmer!

Hope it works out for Barbados but sharks tend to circle if they see an opportunity

Maldon

Forgive my ignorance but does it make much difference to the people of Barbados whether HMQ was head of state or not?

By *reavezMan  over a year ago

Bradford/ Leeds

At the last stage the British influence is still heavy in our laws, school systems and general way of life as we were know as little England. The queens name still heads a lot of our public sector services.

So I ask what benefit does a ceremonial toe have. I’m sure generally we ask very little of the uk always underlying tones throughout our day to day life you may not be aware of …

Notts

"At the last stage the British influence is still heavy in our laws, school systems and general way of life as we were know as little England. The queens name still heads a lot of our public sector services.

So I ask what benefit does a ceremonial toe have. I’m sure generally we ask very little of the uk always underlying tones throughout our day to day life you may not be aware of … "

Ceremonial toe is like j lo saying your handbags are cool... it brings benefits. And I don't want to be rude, but don't you live in leeds?

Bristol

"Forgive my ignorance but does it make much difference to the people of Barbados whether HMQ was head of state or not? "

Only the ones who stand to make a fortune out of it, the average person will not even notice any difference

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

"Yet they still remain a member of the Commonwealth! "

Quite a few former colonies that are now republics and no longer have the Queen as head of state are still in the Commonwealth though right?

Grantham

"Yet they still remain a member of the Commonwealth!

Quite a few former colonies that are now republics and no longer have the Queen as head of state are still in the Commonwealth though right?"

Thats right. Its as if they don't quite want to let go completely.

near ipswich

"Yet they still remain a member of the Commonwealth!

Quite a few former colonies that are now republics and no longer have the Queen as head of state are still in the Commonwealth though right?

Thats right. Its as if they don't quite want to let go completely. "

Of course not there are still benefits of being in the commonwealth.

A Commonwealth citizen is not regarded to be a foreign citizen, or alien, by another respective Commonwealth government. This tradition descends from the older ‘British subject’ designation – though nothing but name has changed with regards to this concept other than name. Commonwealth citizens are technically British subjects; they can avail of the support of a British embassy or court in a country where their own nationhood is not represented.

Citizenship by investment schemes offer a supplemental commonweal citizenship. Further, an individual would automatically lose the status if that person is no longer a citizen of any Commonwealth country.

» Add a new message to this topic