FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Food shortages hitting Britons more than many in EU

Food shortages hitting Britons more than many in EU

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Survey suggests UK residents more likely to have faced shortages than those in France, Germany and Spain.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/dec/22/food-shortages-hitting-britons-more-than-many-in-eu-poll-finds?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

I have mentioned this in the past and always been told that the same shortages applied in France (where I live), Germany etc.

I have also been informed (on this very forum) that there are absolutely no shortages in the UK.

As I do not live in the UK, I can only accept that as being fact rather than doubt people's experiences on here.

This piece is from the Guardian which is not a popular source on the forum but it does quote a YouGov poll.

I am sure that many on here will dispute any of this and have seen no impact (to the UK) of Global shortages however, there is no smoke without fire.

Unfortunately, with the new customs checks coming into place, shortages are likely to get even worse.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

Sorry mate not seen that up here

"Sorry mate not seen that up here "

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Been hb Tesco herons today all shelves busting but I admit some stuff they don't do anymore because they can't get it from eu but always a substitute.asked about some of it hb manager says because short staff in eu as they buy surplus stock so only supplying regular customers.

Yep those YouGov polls - absolute rubbish.

The only countries with food shortages are those in the EU - the figures from the UK poll has only taken a small majority who have told lies.

You simply cannot trust the media or YouGov polls these days...

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

"Sorry mate not seen that up here "

Nothing to see here. Everything is fine. Stop asking questions!

Lol.

By *andy 1Couple  over a year ago

northeast

been to asda this morning and sainsburys they say there was a shortage of pickers but veg and salad stuff every where for only 19 or 20 p a packet

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

If I can’t get my Pigs in blankets- Christmas ruined!

I’m off to M&S a bit later.

"been to asda this morning and sainsburys they say there was a shortage of pickers but veg and salad stuff every where for only 19 or 20 p a packet"

Whatever can this mean?

golden fields

"If I can’t get my Pigs in blankets- Christmas ruined!

I’m off to M&S a bit later."

Stock up.

Pigs in blankets and stuffing are the best parts of Xmas dinner.

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

No problems shopping for food in Bristol

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

why are you so obsessed with stuff like this????

I can get everything i need here in Britain and i havnt heard from any of my friends in the eu who are having problems getting what they need either.

Is it your intention to try and make this about brexit ?

"why are you so obsessed with stuff like this????

I can get everything i need here in Britain and i havnt heard from any of my friends in the eu who are having problems getting what they need either.

Is it your intention to try and make this about brexit ?"

Quoting what everyone else can read in the Guardian who reference YouGov polls.

Take from it what you like.

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

My husband had a Peroni panic 3 days ago!

Turns out they had moved them to another part of the shelves. Phew!

Beyond that it's stacked to the ceiling shelves wherever I go.

And those short for Christmas Chickens and Turkeys have all handed themselves in and are in the poultry aisle of every supermarket I have visited.

Go figure.

near ipswich

"My husband had a Peroni panic 3 days ago!

And those short for Christmas Chickens and Turkeys have all handed themselves in and are in the poultry aisle of every supermarket I have visited.

Go figure. "

yeah its unbelievable turkeys everywhere and petrol to go and pick them up too. Who would have thought it.

"My husband had a Peroni panic 3 days ago!

Go figure. yeah its unbelievable turkeys everywhere and petrol to go and pick them up too. Who would have thought it. "

It's shocking I tell ya' lol.

By *irtylittletramp100TV/TS  over a year ago

Notts

well no one eats snails and frogs but the french, so they aint running out and no one eats sauerkraut but germans, and in norway they only eat herring..... and....

the brits are the only ones with a normal civilized diet

"well no one eats snails and frogs but the french, so they aint running out and no one eats sauerkraut but germans, and in norway they only eat herring..... and....

the brits are the only ones with a normal civilized diet "

It's funny to watch, but tell a French Person that people in the UK eat Beans on Toast and watch them howl with laughter.

near ipswich

"well no one eats snails and frogs but the french, so they aint running out and no one eats sauerkraut but germans, and in norway they only eat herring..... and....

It's funny to watch, but tell a French Person that people in the UK eat Beans on Toast and watch them howl with laughter."

yeah i can always remember the look i got when i made my ex spanish g/f a fried egg sandwich. priceless.

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

It's funny to watch, but tell a French Person that people in the UK eat Beans on Toast and watch them howl with laughter."

Yes and then watch them dip bread into a cup of coffee

thornaby

what do they have on toast snails lol

By *ebbie69Couple  over a year ago

milton keynes

"

Survey suggests UK residents more likely to have faced shortages than those in France, Germany and Spain.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/dec/22/food-shortages-hitting-britons-more-than-many-in-eu-poll-finds?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

I have mentioned this in the past and always been told that the same shortages applied in France (where I live), Germany etc.

I have also been informed (on this very forum) that there are absolutely no shortages in the UK.

As I do not live in the UK, I can only accept that as being fact rather than doubt people's experiences on here.

This piece is from the Guardian which is not a popular source on the forum but it does quote a YouGov poll.

I am sure that many on here will dispute any of this and have seen no impact (to the UK) of Global shortages however, there is no smoke without fire.

Unfortunately, with the new customs checks coming into place, shortages are likely to get even worse.

"

Just been to the shop's and did not see a single empty shelf, refrigerator or freezer. Apart from the odd bit of trolley rage its just like any other year and the prices surprising good too.

By *eanoCoolMan  over a year ago

wisbech

"

"

No issues where I am, just back from Xmas shop and had no issues with anything, plenty of pigs in blankets, beer or spirits and all the other things that were supposedly not going to be available this xmas, just the guardian being the guardian in my opinion.

golden fields

"

No issues where I am, just back from Xmas shop and had no issues with anything, plenty of pigs in blankets, beer or spirits and all the other things that were supposedly not going to be available this xmas, just the guardian being the guardian in my opinion."

In fairness, the Guardian is a woeful newspaper.

Not so much fruit in my local supermarket, there's been a shortage of satsumas. But I haven't been concerned enough about it to find out why.

Notts

"

No issues where I am, just back from Xmas shop and had no issues with anything, plenty of pigs in blankets, beer or spirits and all the other things that were supposedly not going to be available this xmas, just the guardian being the guardian in my opinion.

Not so much fruit in my local supermarket, there's been a shortage of satsumas. But I haven't been concerned enough about it to find out why. "

Yep guardian woeful, mail racist,please tell me where I can find a newspaper worthy of my attention, I read trans world

golden fields

"

Not so much fruit in my local supermarket, there's been a shortage of satsumas. But I haven't been concerned enough about it to find out why.

Yep guardian woeful, mail racist,please tell me where I can find a newspaper worthy of my attention, I read trans world "

I dunno, pick your own, why do you want a randomer to tell you what to read.

Oh, No!! Panic on now! No vol-au-vent cases in Morrisons!?! Cripes! Christmas is ruined!

Might try Tesco or Sainsbury.

Okay. That's it. There ARE food shortages. No Vol Au Vent Cases any place local.

But here's a thing. The last 7 deliveries I've had were driven by Polish drivers. So I bet that there are shortages in Poland!

Notts

"

Yep guardian woeful, mail racist,please tell me where I can find a newspaper worthy of my attention, I read trans world

I dunno, pick your own, why do you want a randomer to tell you what to read."

Because you were giving critique! Ok randomer I'll cross you off

Notts

"Oh, No!! Panic on now! No vol-au-vent cases in Morrisons!?! Cripes! Christmas is ruined!

Might try Tesco or Sainsbury. "

They are queuing outside M&S, for as long as 10 minutes, i handed out blankets and hot drinks... its like a third world country... what the hell is boris upto!!!!!

golden fields

"

I dunno, pick your own, why do you want a randomer to tell you what to read.

Because you were giving critique! Ok randomer I'll cross you off "

No offense intended. Crack on reading it to your heart's content.

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

"

"

Been to M&S, JS, Tesco, Morrisons, Adam, Aldi, Lidlington, et al today...

Looking for turkey, gammon, beef, lamb, crisps, beer, wine, biscuits, fruit and veg, bread, cold meats, milk, cream, cheese, in fact loads of stuff...

Not one shop with one empty shelf.

Damn you covid, damn you brexit....

"

Looking for turkey, gammon, beef, lamb, crisps, beer, wine, biscuits, fruit and veg, bread, cold meats, milk, cream, cheese, in fact loads of stuff...

Damn you covid, damn you brexit...."

Indeed. There’s not a food shortage by any stretch! There may be a few things hard to come buy either through supply issues or very high demand. But that’ll be very soecific items and always some reasonable substitute to be had.

Xmas cake was bot available in M&S, Waitrose or Tesco though. So there's deffo a shortage of that!

Inflation is definitely running rampant. A few staples like method cleaner up 10% almost!

milton keynes

I wonder if the scare stories were a clever sales drive to panic people into buying early and maybe far more than normal. Still not had a single problem finding anything. With the amounts still available in the shop's I would not be surprised to see it all reduced after boxing day to try and shift it

Notts

I couldnt find quail eggs in asda or lidl just sausage rolls! had to go all the way to the farm shop! At least 5 miles... same with the foie gras, its a bloody scandal and boris is to blame! Not a corn fed organic turkey in sight!!!!!

"I couldnt find quail eggs in asda or lidl just sausage rolls! had to go all the way to the farm shop! At least 5 miles... same with the foie gras, its a bloody scandal and boris is to blame! Not a corn fed organic turkey in sight!!!!! "

Just get a maccy D vis Uber Eats.

"Oh, No!! Panic on now! No vol-au-vent cases in Morrisons!?! Cripes! Christmas is ruined!

They are queuing outside M&S, for as long as 10 minutes, i handed out blankets and hot drinks... its like a third world country... what the hell is boris upto!!!!! "

They are queuing for shortages? lol.

Notts

"I couldnt find quail eggs in asda or lidl just sausage rolls! had to go all the way to the farm shop! At least 5 miles... same with the foie gras, its a bloody scandal and boris is to blame! Not a corn fed organic turkey in sight!!!!!

Just get a maccy D vis Uber Eats. "

maccy D is the only place they are queuing at the drive through... uber eats! I heard the drivers lick the burgers...or worse which is why the buns go limp

thornaby

They are queuing outside M&S, for as long as 10 minutes, i handed out blankets and hot drinks... its like a third world country... what the hell is boris upto!!!!!

They are queuing for shortages? lol."

exactly just more brexit bullshit lol

Well we wish EVERYBODY a 'SHORTAGE FREE' Christmas and New Year. (Just like we knew it would be).

"

Damn you covid, damn you brexit....

Indeed. There’s not a food shortage by any stretch! There may be a few things hard to come buy either through supply issues or very high demand. But that’ll be very soecific items and always some reasonable substitute to be had.

Xmas cake was bot available in M&S, Waitrose or Tesco though. So there's deffo a shortage of that!

Inflation is definitely running rampant. A few staples like method cleaner up 10% almost! "

Loads of xmas cake in either lidl or aldi

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

Supermarkets aren’t stupid

They know they need shelves to look full and for basics to be available..

I personally think the shortages in shops will be a shortage of choice. So product lines will be limited. Prices will rise even more. . Building products shortages will carry on due to logistics and cost.

There wasn’t a shortage of care workers apparently and yet her we are rushing out visas.

Why is that? I thought British workers would appreciate the pay and conditions which now must be on offer after those pesky Europeans have gone..

There’s no money in the pot which is the economic reality of care homes. Hospital beds full of old people who can’t be discharged because there aren’t enough care workers. Result ambulances queuing . .

Failing to see any upsides in all this.

thornaby

"Supermarkets aren’t stupid

I personally think the shortages in shops will be a shortage of choice. So product lines will be limited. Prices will rise even more. . Building products shortages will carry on due to logistics and cost.

There wasn’t a shortage of care workers apparently and yet her we are rushing out visas.

Why is that? I thought British workers would appreciate the pay and conditions which now must be on offer after those pesky Europeans have gone..

There’s no money in the pot which is the economic reality of care homes. Hospital beds full of old people who can’t be discharged because there aren’t enough care workers. Result ambulances queuing . .

"

someone’s had a shit crimbo lol

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

"Supermarkets aren’t stupid

someone’s had a shit crimbo lol"

Actually a great one thanks Foxy

Sadly a lot of people are suffering today because of the stupidity of the blind following of three word slogans.

Hope you’re having a good Christmas foxy.

After the event:

So. What food shortage did Christmas actually have for you?

I noted the Vol au Vent Cases (but I made them with jus-rol instead).

I could not identify anything else at all that was missing or in short supply.

By *lik and PaulCouple  over a year ago

Flagrante

We haven't experienced any food shortages but the more the media talk about it the more likely shortages will come as some people like to panic buy.

milton keynes

"After the event:

So. What food shortage did Christmas actually have for you?

I noted the Vol au Vent Cases (but I made them with jus-rol instead).

I could not identify anything else at all that was missing or in short supply.

"

Not a single shortage or even difficult to find item for me. Seems the survey mentioned by the OP was way off the mark

By *ack4NinaCouple  over a year ago

Carmarthen

The only shortages in JN Towers was the fecking sprouts which we had, but forgot to cook!

Great Xmas day with all the family round, but that was only part 1. Gonna do it again tomorrow at my mums. But it will be an Italian affair! Can’t wait. No shortages and even more wine and arguably much better food, gutted about the sprouts lol. Bacala!

So. Christmas Shortages in the UK?

"Nul Points"

By *inkywife1981Couple  over a year ago

A town near you

I've 2 brothers living in the UK and literally dozens of cousins.

I've yet to here one of them complain about empty shelves!

» Add a new message to this topic