FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Why do people hold political alleigances?

Why do people hold political alleigances?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *oo hot OP   Couple  over a year ago

North West

I can understand people supporting a football, rugby or cricket team, but why do so many ordinary people seem to attach themselves with super-glue to political allegiances?

I truly don’t understand why some people seem to attach themselves myopically to a political agenda instead of taking a personal evaluation of the pros and cons of a continuously changing political landscape?

Is it still the cloak of Brexit that is influencing otherwise pragmatic people to avoid rational thought processes?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

I agree Brexit has polarised people but I think with a lot of people their political allegiance is misguided aspirational belief.

A lot of labour supporters believe all wealthy people are bad and bosses are the devil but mostly they just want better fairer social equality. The extreme nationalise everything and pay everyone the same are just fantasists. Look at Russia and China to see how that pans out for the workers.

Tory supporters (not all so don’t get upset) have a slightly delusional view that they are middle class and the Tory party is their social equivalent.

Having a detached house may make you feel like you’ve arrived but the real wealth the Tory party protects is beyond 90% of their voters dreams. The fact that they may be better off with the labour or Lib Dems never registers because they are socially beneath their believed status.

Our media re-enforces these stereotypes daily.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I can understand people supporting a football, rugby or cricket team, but why do so many ordinary people seem to attach themselves with super-glue to political allegiances?

I truly don’t understand why some people seem to attach themselves myopically to a political agenda instead of taking a personal evaluation of the pros and cons of a continuously changing political landscape?

Is it still the cloak of Brexit that is influencing otherwise pragmatic people to avoid rational thought processes?

"

Because Humans are inherently Tribal

Nothing to do with Brexit

I also believe social media has alot to answer for

it's easy to be cunt when you are mostly anonymous

Look at twitter it's a cess pool of mentally deranged people who are somehow given credence by the medias use of twitter especially as a source of news and opinion. Only 45% of people in the UK use twitter yet it's used as some yard stick of public opinion

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"I agree Brexit has polarised people but I think with a lot of people their political allegiance is misguided aspirational belief.

A lot of labour supporters believe all wealthy people are bad and bosses are the devil but mostly they just want better fairer social equality. The extreme nationalise everything and pay everyone the same are just fantasists. Look at Russia and China to see how that pans out for the workers.

Tory supporters (not all so don’t get upset) have a slightly delusional view that they are middle class and the Tory party is their social equivalent.

Having a detached house may make you feel like you’ve arrived but the real wealth the Tory party protects is beyond 90% of their voters dreams. The fact that they may be better off with the labour or Lib Dems never registers because they are socially beneath their believed status.

"

So Labour voters are social justice warriors and Tories (in the main) are deluded. What a load of absolute bollocks.

You may just as well say that all Labour voters are cloth cap wearing Whippet breeders. I suppose if that were true it would beg the question, what on earth do they see in Starmer?

I've always voted Tory and if I still lived in the UK would continue to do so.

Not because of any kind of tribalism and certainly not because I'm in any way delighted with the performance of this government.

For me it is down to a set of core values that I believe in, and which party I trust to get as close as possible. Although these days it's getting much harder to find. Many on here will not share those beliefs. That is their choice and I would agree to disagree but I would never call them deluded. That only leads to more polarisation and division and sadly that does seem to be the way we are heading.

The smaller parties (Lib Dem Green Etc.) I see as nothing more than protest vote buckets. Fine if you want to poke the big boys in the eye but little use for anything else.

So for me it's down to either Labour who share none of my values and core beliefs or the Tories who at least do share some. Although with this current lot I sometimes wonder.

However, Hell would freeze over before I would ever vote Labour.

"I agree Brexit has polarised people but I think with a lot of people their political allegiance is misguided aspirational belief.

So Labour voters are social justice warriors and Tories (in the main) are deluded. What a load of absolute bollocks.

You may just as well say that all Labour voters are cloth cap wearing Whippet breeders. I suppose if that were true it would beg the question, what on earth do they see in Starmer?

Not because of any kind of tribalism and certainly not because I'm in any way delighted with the performance of this government.

For me it is down to a set of core values that I believe in, and which party I trust to get as close as possible. Although these days it's getting much harder to find. Many on here will not share those beliefs. That is their choice and I would agree to disagree but I would never call them deluded. That only leads to more polarisation and division and sadly that does seem to be the way we are heading.

The smaller parties (Lib Dem Green Etc.) I see as nothing more than protest vote buckets. Fine if you want to poke the big boys in the eye but little use for anything else.

So for me it's down to either Labour who share none of my values and core beliefs or the Tories who at least do share some. Although with this current lot I sometimes wonder.

However, Hell would freeze over before I would ever vote Labour."

What are your values and core beliefs ?

Costa Blanca Spain...

What are your values and core beliefs ? "

What they actually are is pretty irrelevant in this debate.

The OP was asking a much broader question and detailing them would only cause thread drift.

Figure it for yourself.

The OP was asking a much broader question and detailing them would only cause thread drift.

Figure it for yourself."

Fair enough , it is understandable why you wouldn’t want to answer my question, btw threads always ‘drift’ ,

Costa Blanca Spain...

Figure it for yourself.

Fair enough , it is understandable why you wouldn’t want to answer my question, btw threads always ‘drift’ , "

Maybe they do drift. However one on my fundamental beliefs is never to feed trolls.

Figure it for yourself.

Fair enough , it is understandable why you wouldn’t want to answer my question, btw threads always ‘drift’ ,

Maybe they do drift. However one on my fundamental beliefs is never to feed trolls."

Interesting, you are a bit tetchy ? are you calling me a troll?

Manchester

However, Hell would freeze over before I would ever vote Labour."

I was being provocative to a point with both parties to show the stereo types on purpose so calm yourself.

The protest vote buckets you mention are only that because we don’t have a democratic voting system. They usually account for 20-30% of the population but have absolutely no voice.

More people voted for other parties than the tories and yet they have absolute power.

You say core values ?? I was mostly a Tory voter due to being in business and thought they were for me.

It’s utter bollocks they are definitely not. They have made business harder and harder . They bang on about low tax, low red tape. It’s waffle.

Promises of Low tax are only beneficial if you make a lot of money and then you keep it. The country our society doesn’t benefit enough from that.

The same is true of high taxation from Harold Wilson’s / Callaghan day. People paying 83% tax just moved the money abroad. Again the country didn’t benefit.

I don’t believe the tories have any core values other than respect their paymasters. I think labour is a little lost and doesn’t quite know where to pitch itself. They will end up being either soft right/ left or extinct. Corbynist views are to extreme. We are I believe moving far too right at the moment.

As for delusion maybe mislead would be more appropriate I agree. The Daily Mail goes on about benefit cheats all the time but never mentions the billions handed to rich people every year in elite tax benefits. Maybe because the owner is one of those benefitting.

Also feel free to explain how much better off an average earner is from the last 30 years of Tory involvement? I’m curious to know how much they’ve done for that average hard worker who they claim is their priority. Mrs thatcher was the only benefit for above average earners. Cutting tax to 40%. Small time avoiders went back to paying tax in the U.K. Thats the reason I believe a fairer tax system will benefit the country so much more than all this avoidance.

London’s city boomed with de-regulation Mrs Thatcher again. (She was contrary to my above comment on red tape). and a small number made fortunes , but the rest of the country was left to fend in free markets without any support. If it wasn’t for our access to Europe we would have been a basket case long ago. The boom in London made fortunes but the greed and lack of oversight accounted for its crash dragging the country with it. The average worker had austerity for 10 years but the London bonus culture was back within two years.

Compare those average earners fortunes regarding healthcare , roads, schools, environment etc etc to the fortunes of the richest 2% in the country and see who are the real beneficiaries.

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

I don't.

I want the party in power to do the things it says it will do.

No such party (any) in my lifetime has delivered on a Party Manifesto. Ever.

But I also understand that no party can deliver a manifesto in the first five minutes of office - and sometimes not in the lifetime of one parliament.

But remember political allegiance is also in a sense 'hereditary' by way of early socialization and ongoing life experience.

Both can be mutually exclusive and inclusive at the same time.

Though we all live the long-game of life we also live in the moment-of-life too. We can get angry with a party for its current policy or behaviour but will remain in support in general too.

And this is a mistake that we keep making. In that if we don't like a Current Prime Minister then the 'Whole Party has to go'. We too often typically cut off our noses to spite the very face it is attached to.

At University, I was a protester of all thing unsocial (Labour) in later life and business I became more tempered and more annoyed at people who would not try and do for themselves. And bit-by-bit became Conservative.

I have watched the Labour Party implode so many times in my lifetime and not since Tony Blair (and we all know how that ended) have I seen that they have the ability to form a proper government. I still don't see that in Starmer or anyone else remotely close to him.

I also don't browbeat people with my political opinion either - I actually don't care what political opinion you have as long as it treats others with respect and dignity. As soon as someone starts name-calling, in my mind, they lose the right to debate, and I stop listening to them. After all there are so many more worth listening too.

Manchester

"I don't.

But I also understand that no party can deliver a manifesto in the first five minutes of office - and sometimes not in the lifetime of one parliament.

But remember political allegiance is also in a sense 'hereditary' by way of early socialization and ongoing life experience.

Though we all live the long-game of life we also live in the moment-of-life too. We can get angry with a party for its current policy or behaviour but will remain in support in general too.

And this is a mistake that we keep making. In that if we don't like a Current Prime Minister then the 'Whole Party has to go'. We too often typically cut off our noses to spite the very face it is attached to.

At University, I was a protester of all thing unsocial (Labour) in later life and business I became more tempered and more annoyed at people who would not try and do for themselves. And bit-by-bit became Conservative.

I have watched the Labour Party implode so many times in my lifetime and not since Tony Blair (and we all know how that ended) have I seen that they have the ability to form a proper government. I still don't see that in Starmer or anyone else remotely close to him.

I also don't browbeat people with my political opinion either - I actually don't care what political opinion you have as long as it treats others with respect and dignity. As soon as someone starts name-calling, in my mind, they lose the right to debate, and I stop listening to them. After all there are so many more worth listening too

"

Good point about the hereditary and social aspect Cat . I agree you’re right an environment and education can often cloud an clear, open view either way.

Should we teach more in schools about analysing political views? Reading a tabloid view is never a true picture either way.

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

"

Should we teach more in schools about analysing political views? Reading a tabloid view is never a true picture either way. "

Amen to that Jackal.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"I don't.

I also don't browbeat people with my political opinion either - I actually don't care what political opinion you have as long as it treats others with respect and dignity. As soon as someone starts name-calling, in my mind, they lose the right to debate, and I stop listening to them. After all there are so many more worth listening too

Good point about the hereditary and social aspect Cat . I agree you’re right an environment and education can often cloud an clear, open view either way.

Should we teach more in schools about analysing political views? Reading a tabloid view is never a true picture either way. "

Kids these days dont read tabloids just as they dont watch mainstream tv they would rather believe stuff they read on twitter,facebook or see on youtube.They dont need teaching politics in schools as most teachers these days are left wing what they need teaching is how to think for themselves and not believe everything they read.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

"

Should we teach more in schools about analysing political views? Reading a tabloid view is never a true picture either way.

Amen to that Jackal. "

100 billion % this.

And add in critical thinking, how to check sources, and potential bias in the author, or who funded the research etc etc.

Manchester

"I don't.

Should we teach more in schools about analysing political views? Reading a tabloid view is never a true picture either way. Kids these days dont read tabloids just as they dont watch mainstream tv they would rather believe stuff they read on twitter,facebook or see on youtube.They dont need teaching politics in schools as most teachers these days are left wing what they need teaching is how to think for themselves and not believe everything they read. "

Yes true about the tabloids Costa they do find their news from the likes of Twitter Facebook etc but they do get news online from tabloids still. I think analytical thinking could be a good thing to teach alongside life skills like how to budget for bills book an MOT or apply for a passport, change a tyre etc. It’s doesn’t have to have political bias but it could show how bias and stretching the truth work.

Boris said he wants to say sorry but he actually said he’s sorry about how people view his behaviour. There is a world of difference from that to actually being sorry for his behaviour. Apologies for dragging Boris into this post but it’s a good recent example of the political spin they “ALL” use.

By *ebbie69Couple  over a year ago

milton keynes

"I can understand people supporting a football, rugby or cricket team, but why do so many ordinary people seem to attach themselves with super-glue to political allegiances?

"

I don't understand the tribal thing either. Although I am more conservative in my votes I have voted Labour a few times and would always give them a fair hearing. Corbyn was not for me but think starmer is a great improvement though still not convinced as yet. Brexit did divide the country but not along party lines with both conservative and Labour badly split.

By *irtylittletramp100TV/TS  over a year ago

Notts

"

Amen to that Jackal.

100 billion % this.

And add in critical thinking, how to check sources, and potential bias in the author, or who funded the research etc etc."

My old headmaster was Jeremy Corbyn, in all but name! Can't imagine how he would have spun his teaching politics practices. Think dissecting literature covers it...

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

"

Actually, a number of studies which present policies blind end up with people choosing unexpectedly.

In a similar manner, when told that an opposition policy is from their own party they will approve of it and vice versa.

Go figure. Tribalism is easier.

By *TMA that man againMan  over a year ago

worester

"

So the voters in the "red wall" seats throughout Lancashire and the NE live in detached houses? Consider themselves "middle class"?

I don't think so!

It also shows that voters can and do change allegiances. (And a damn good job Corbyn and Abbott et Al were not in charge of dealing with Covid).

Boris has had a shit time dealing with the pandemic but given the latest revelations and having pissed on his chips his time is probably up. Maybe he could go and have a beer with hypocrite SKS under the guise of a "work drink"?

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

"

A lot of labour supporters believe all wealthy people are bad

"

At a certain level of wealth, they are.

You don't get to be a billionaire by being nice and kind and playing by the rules.

Manchester

"

A lot of labour supporters believe all wealthy people are bad

At a certain level of wealth, they are.

You don't get to be a billionaire by being nice and kind and playing by the rules. "

Indeed you are correct.

By *oo hot OP   Couple  over a year ago

North West

"

So the voters in the "red wall" seats throughout Lancashire and the NE live in detached houses? Consider themselves "middle class"?

I don't think so!

It also shows that voters can and do change allegiances. (And a damn good job Corbyn and Abbott et Al were not in charge of dealing with Covid).

Boris has had a shit time dealing with the pandemic but given the latest revelations and having pissed on his chips his time is probably up. Maybe he could go and have a beer with hypocrite SKS under the guise of a "work drink"?"

1) The change of allegiance at the last election was due to massive gaslighting exercise to spin Brexit as somehow being a good thing and the relentless attacks on Corbyn as being a clear and present danger to the country. The Tory supporting media were 100% responsible for this propaganda.

2) I have no time for Corbyn, but I think that you are wrong in your assertion that the pandemic would have been badly handled by a Corbyn administration. To start with, he would not have thrown £billions at private companies and would have instead invested it into the NHS so that it would be in a stronger position after the pandemic than it was before. You would not have had the stench of corruption lingering around Corbyn had he been PM during the pandemic.

I will try to break it down and give my own views on this.

1) Human beings are tribal in nature. We have been satisfying this tribal urge through nationalism and religion for a long time. As both these ideas are slowly losing credibility/support, we do not have an alternate group that we can have a feeling of belonging. As things stand, the next fallback option is political parties.

2) Social media - In the past, a typical conversation during elections goes like this:

Person A: I voted for party X. Who did you vote for?

Person B: No. I voted for Party Y. I thought their manifesto was good and X didn't handle certain issues well.

A: I don't believe Y's manifesto is realistic. Let's wait and see.

They both have drinks and move on. Same conversation happening between two people in social media:

A: I voted for party X because....

B: You stupid racist/snowflake/redneck/libtard/sickular

You see where I am going with? Not seeing each other's faces makes it easy to throw insult. Once insults are thrown, people automatically become strongly attached to whoever they were supporting.

3) Probably just a symptom and not the cause - My father used to read two newspapers, each with opposite political views. I remember most elders doing it. I don't think anyone does it nowadays.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

I have always liked the Monster raving looney party, at least you know what you are voting for.

» Add a new message to this topic