FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Politician quality

Politician quality

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ackal1 OP   Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

This is not a party political or bias question so please don’t treat it as such.

Given we all seem to be very underwhelmed by our MPs and their ability when they get into office (last 40 years so red, orange and blue ) is it time to revamp how we recruit MPs?

Do we need to pay a lot more and clear out the complicated expenses nonsense or are we resigned to the present set up which seems to be drop an idiot in here and there to make up the numbers?

Blind narrow simple minded loyalty over ability seems to be the norm these days across both sides of the house.

Am I alone in thinking it’s just not good enough and we deserve or in fact desperately need better? For those of you who have great MPs I agree there are some out there. Sone of whom I personally may not agree with but certainly respect.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"This is not a party political or bias question so please don’t treat it as such.

Given we all seem to be very underwhelmed by our MPs and their ability when they get into office (last 40 years so red, orange and blue ) is it time to revamp how we recruit MPs?

Do we need to pay a lot more and clear out the complicated expenses nonsense or are we resigned to the present set up which seems to be drop an idiot in here and there to make up the numbers?

Blind narrow simple minded loyalty over ability seems to be the norm these days across both sides of the house.

Am I alone in thinking it’s just not good enough and we deserve or in fact desperately need better? For those of you who have great MPs I agree there are some out there. Sone of whom I personally may not agree with but certainly respect. "

Things need to change , the behaviour in the HOC (on both sides) is pathetic at times, give them pay rises, stop second jobs and stop them from telling lies all the time

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

I think that ex-members of the Armed Forces make the best MPs. I'm thinking Tobias Ellwood, Dan Jarvis and James Heappy here, amongst others.

If we do away with second jobs, should we also stop Trades Union donations to MPs?

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

There are lots of ways politics could be reformed.

Firstly anyone who actually wants to be a politician should be automatically disqualified. Maybe each constituency should call up a list for election (a bit like jury service) whittle it down to a shortlist of 3 or 4 then put them to the electorate.

Failing that maybe a time limit could be invoked. The US president can only do 2 terms, so why not the same for MP's. That would get rid of the safe seat = job for life and out a lot of the fossilised shit hogging the back benches.

Just a couple of thoughts.

By *hybloke67Man  over a year ago

ROMFORD

Personally I don't think in general the quality of MP's has changed from what it always has been. Neither has the behaviour in the HOC changed much.

What has changed is now you can watch the HOC on live TV, MP's posting on twitter and because of this the media has now decided everything is headline news.

As for MP's, the Labour Party need to be non University educated MP's who have done 20 years in a regular job. That way they can at least relate to what they preach.

"Personally I don't think in general the quality of MP's has changed from what it always has been. Neither has the behaviour in the HOC changed much.

What has changed is now you can watch the HOC on live TV, MP's posting on twitter and because of this the media has now decided everything is headline news.

As for MP's, the Labour Party need to be non University educated MP's who have done 20 years in a regular job. That way they can at least relate to what they preach. "

And what background should Tory MPs be from? Eton?

ROMFORD

"Personally I don't think in general the quality of MP's has changed from what it always has been. Neither has the behaviour in the HOC changed much.

As for MP's, the Labour Party need to be non University educated MP's who have done 20 years in a regular job. That way they can at least relate to what they preach.

And what background should Tory MPs be from? Eton? "

A question from you, what a surprise.....NOT.!

Manchester

"I think that ex-members of the Armed Forces make the best MPs. I'm thinking Tobias Ellwood, Dan Jarvis and James Heappy here, amongst others.

If we do away with second jobs, should we also stop Trades Union donations to MPs? "

Each candidate gets an allowance to run for office locally. Receipted so no pocket filling.

Stop all donations to sitting MPs and pay a proper wage.

Fund a local office for all MPs no nepotism. Civil servants provided to help with admin.

Who’s in power gets the office,

Three bedroom flats provided while in office in London near Parliament for all MPs outside the M25 and they buy their own home in their constituency . The rest just commute like normal workers.

No funded foreign trips unless on a specific committee to do with destination and limited time with no family allowed. Absolutely no gifts or freebies including holidays. If they get caught they pay full tax on each gift at value and after three offences they are sacked.

Maybe if it’s less of a club more would get done.

And what background should Tory MPs be from? Eton?

A question from you, what a surprise.....NOT.!"

Can’t answer? What a surprise …… NOT.!

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

Oh please just ignore each other , this is getting tedious

"I think that ex-members of the Armed Forces make the best MPs. I'm thinking Tobias Ellwood, Dan Jarvis and James Heappy here, amongst others.

If we do away with second jobs, should we also stop Trades Union donations to MPs? "

Yes, all ‘donations’ directly to MPs should stop

ROMFORD

If we do away with second jobs, should we also stop Trades Union donations to MPs?

Each candidate gets an allowance to run for office locally. Receipted so no pocket filling.

Fund a local office for all MPs no nepotism. Civil servants provided to help with admin.

Three bedroom flats provided while in office in London near Parliament for all MPs outside the M25 and they buy their own home in their constituency . The rest just commute like normal workers.

No funded foreign trips unless on a specific committee to do with destination and limited time with no family allowed. Absolutely no gifts or freebies including holidays. If they get caught they pay full tax on each gift at value and after three offences they are sacked.

Maybe if it’s less of a club more would get done. "

Why would they need a three bedroom flat?

650 x 3 bedroom flats near Westminster would cost the tax payer a fortune and make it far too cosy for any MP to stay in London.

A studio flat would suit the purpose required and may make the MP want to spend time in his/her local area more.

Manchester

Maybe if it’s less of a club more would get done.

Why would they need a three bedroom flat?

650 x 3 bedroom flats near Westminster would cost the tax payer a fortune and make it far too cosy for any MP to stay in London.

A studio flat would suit the purpose required and may make the MP want to spend time in his/her local area more."

You’re probably right I was thinking they would claim family time is required so to stop it being an issue. And I’m thinking tower block not Knightsbridge mansions. They can still commute from Tower Hamlets . Might show them who really needs help.

Today they claim interest on mortgages so as long as property prices increase they are quids in.

Rental allowance if they rent increases with each child by I think £650 per child per month. Not bad eh,

I think politics in almost every country is stuck in a vicious circle. If you want to get into a party and become a major member, you need lot of cunningness. And once you do succeed becoming an MP, it turns out to be a thankless job. Of course, the money and fame are good. But there are people who will call you names no matter what you do. There are even guys looking for a chance to kill you because of political ideologies.

Now imagine a normal citizen who is quite talented and capable of running the government. Would that person be willing to be cunning enough to grow up within the party? Even if he did, would he prefer the job of running a government or running a profitable company that gives him a good pay and everyone respects him?

By design, politics repels capable people. The only way this could change is when people are more mature about discussing politicians.

Manchester

"I think politics in almost every country is stuck in a vicious circle. If you want to get into a party and become a major member, you need lot of cunningness. And once you do succeed becoming an MP, it turns out to be a thankless job. Of course, the money and fame are good. But there are people who will call you names no matter what you do. There are even guys looking for a chance to kill you because of political ideologies.

Now imagine a normal citizen who is quite talented and capable of running the government. Would that person be willing to be cunning enough to grow up within the party? Even if he did, would he prefer the job of running a government or running a profitable company that gives him a good pay and everyone respects him?

By design, politics repels capable people. The only way this could change is when people are more mature about discussing politicians."

Do you think common sense disappears too?

Liz Truss spending it is reported upwards of £500k on a trip to Australia . What disgusting waste of money . The defence was they could have private chats. They could have all flown first class and then taken over a hotel for privacy and still it would have been cheaper.

What crosses their minds to think that’s s good idea other than because I’m allowed I will.

Not endearing herself if she wants to be the new leader. Another self centred MP at the trough.

Remember all those complaints about the EU MEPs wasting our money on travel . Hmmm.

By *uddy laneMan  over a year ago

dudley

If you are not satisfied with your government you have the right to see your MP at their surgery and they may or may not treat your issue (s).

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

I had a similar conversation recently.

The general consensus was that last politicians who had the balls to do anything, was Neil Kinnock and Thatcher. No one named these two for what they did, but more they stood up to people and fought.

Since then politicians have bern yes men, or wet blankets.

By *mateur100Man  over a year ago

nr faversham

"I think politics in almost every country is stuck in a vicious circle. If you want to get into a party and become a major member, you need lot of cunningness. And once you do succeed becoming an MP, it turns out to be a thankless job. Of course, the money and fame are good. But there are people who will call you names no matter what you do. There are even guys looking for a chance to kill you because of political ideologies.

By design, politics repels capable people. The only way this could change is when people are more mature about discussing politicians.

Do you think common sense disappears too?

Liz Truss spending it is reported upwards of £500k on a trip to Australia . What disgusting waste of money . The defence was they could have private chats. They could have all flown first class and then taken over a hotel for privacy and still it would have been cheaper.

What crosses their minds to think that’s s good idea other than because I’m allowed I will.

Not endearing herself if she wants to be the new leader. Another self centred MP at the trough.

Remember all those complaints about the EU MEPs wasting our money on travel . Hmmm.

"

Since this isn't a politically biased thread I'm wondering if you're going to be posting anything that's Labour negative?

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

with the billions bandied about I think people wouldn’t mind paying a bit more if it was spent in the tight places. I’d vote for anyone who agreed to implement all of the following.

1. MPs to be salaried @180k-200k

2. No expenses at all.

3. PA’s & equipment to be supplied by the house & paid for by the house & returned to the house when you are no longer an MP.

4. Parliament to buy a secure location for the setting up of a highly secure hotel.

5. MP’s from above 60 miles away stay here for the same as a commuter ticket home.

6. MP’s from closer can stay IF a sitting WHICH THEY MUST ATTEND goes past 8pm. All others commute like every other faker with a job in London.

7. No career politicians. You can’t stand for parliament until age 35 & must have been employed for 10yrs minimum.

8. Pay rises will be in line with the NHS & other public sectors.

8. No second jobs or consultancy work.

9. Members of The House of Lords to sign in & out. Their daily £300 to be paid hourly based on an 8hr day. Sleeping in chambers is not work & will not be paid.

10. No highly subsidised bar, a £ off a pint or glass of wine is enough.

How’s that for starters?

Or should we just burn it down & start again?

S

nr faversham

"with the billions bandied about I think people wouldn’t mind paying a bit more if it was spent in the tight places. I’d vote for anyone who agreed to implement all of the following.

2. No expenses at all.

3. PA’s & equipment to be supplied by the house & paid for by the house & returned to the house when you are no longer an MP.

4. Parliament to buy a secure location for the setting up of a highly secure hotel.

5. MP’s from above 60 miles away stay here for the same as a commuter ticket home.

6. MP’s from closer can stay IF a sitting WHICH THEY MUST ATTEND goes past 8pm. All others commute like every other faker with a job in London.

7. No career politicians. You can’t stand for parliament until age 35 & must have been employed for 10yrs minimum.

9. Members of The House of Lords to sign in & out. Their daily £300 to be paid hourly based on an 8hr day. Sleeping in chambers is not work & will not be paid.

How’s that for starters?

S"

Not happy with the salary for starters! £180k+? Halve it

"with the billions bandied about I think people wouldn’t mind paying a bit more if it was spent in the tight places. I’d vote for anyone who agreed to implement all of the following.

2. No expenses at all.

How’s that for starters?

S

Not happy with the salary for starters! £180k+? Halve it "

They are over 80k now, and the 180k would include expenses, I think it’s a good idea

By *uddy laneMan  over a year ago

dudley

2. No expenses at all.

How’s that for starters?

S

Mps and councillors have the lowest status in your community,, they do your bidding.

West Wales

2. No expenses at all.

How’s that for starters?

S

Cheaper than a lot of them cost now so be fair on that much they still get a good thing going, pay much less & the house will fill up with people who possibly couldn’t run a tap but with the gift of the gab. You’ll still want people with some business sense & you’ll possibly need those to leave good jobs to be an MP. See rule 7.

West Wales

Just to put it out there the highest expenses this past year were £244k. Quite a few are over £200k That’s expenses. Not including their pay.

S

nr faversham

2. No expenses at all.

How’s that for starters?

S

Not happy with the salary for starters! £180k+? Halve it

They are over 80k now, and the 180k would include expenses, I think it’s a good idea "

Good for you...I don't

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle under Lyme

It's not just MP's that are the problem, it's the civil service, courts, police and media, the whole system of control. Look at the salaries they pay themselves and tell yourself with a straight face that they do a harder job than a doctor who does surgery. Same goes for BBC salaries. The entire system is rotten, just as much as Putin's Russia.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

"

i couldn't disagree more. ex-services are so far removed from reality that it most certainly causes unecessary problems in functionality of civilian life. the number of ex-services allowed into politics should be severely limited or just prevented alogether.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

"If we do away with second jobs, should we also stop Trades Union donations to MPs? "

no, that's comparing apples to potatos ... second jobs is a separate issue to donations from trade unions to the representative party which they founded with their own money. the trade off should be business and the wealthy being prevented from donating or gifting to politicians or political parties.

» Add a new message to this topic