FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > U.K. economy sees best annual growth since world war 2

U.K. economy sees best annual growth since world war 2

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *oxychick35 OP   Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

U.K. economy sees best annual growth since world war 2 in 2021 some good news for a change eh ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ammskiMan  over a year ago

lytham st.annes

"U.K. economy sees best annual growth since world war 2 in 2021 some good news for a change eh ?"

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Growth... after a period of decline

thornaby

"Growth... after a period of decline"
yes and despite brexit and worst world pandemic in living memory it’s great news don’t you think

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

I found £20 today. Result.

I lost £50 yesterday, but let’s not talk about that eh.

thornaby

"I found £20 today. Result.

I lost £50 yesterday, but let’s not talk about that eh."

let me guess your not happy that it’s the best growth since ww2 so what would you prefer to read that it’s biggest decline since ww2 lol

North West

"U.K. economy sees best annual growth since world war 2 in 2021 some good news for a change eh ?"

When you were preparing to post this, did you even pause to consider anything more than the headline? Did you wonder what the background might be and how it fits in with the U.K. having the worst economic results from the pandemic.

It is so sweet that you celebrate good news like this without seemingly understanding why this happened.

Some people here have become so indoctrinated by this Governments methods of gaslighting that they have become immune to thinking for themselves.

The bounce back was inevitable because of the size of the crash preceding it. But the suggestion that it is anything but a bounce back is as ridiculous as Johnson’s claim about the fastest growing economy in the G7.

North West

"Growth... after a period of declineyes and despite brexit and worst world pandemic in living memory it’s great news don’t you think "

You are embarrassing yourself.

Just stop lol

thornaby

"U.K. economy sees best annual growth since world war 2 in 2021 some good news for a change eh ?

When you were preparing to post this, did you even pause to consider anything more than the headline? Did you wonder what the background might be and how it fits in with the U.K. having the worst economic results from the pandemic.

It is so sweet that you celebrate good news like this without seemingly understanding why this happened.

Some people here have become so indoctrinated by this Governments methods of gaslighting that they have become immune to thinking for themselves.

The bounce back was inevitable because of the size of the crash preceding it. But the suggestion that it is anything but a bounce back is as ridiculous as Johnson’s claim about the fastest growing economy in the G7."

so atleast your admitting it is a bounce back that’s something then so do you think it’s bad news then ? or arnt we allowed to post anything positive on here should it be the same old shit moaning about brexit ?

thornaby

The economy is forecast to grow faster than the other G7 nations this year aswell but some see this as bad news wonder why that is eh lol

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

dont post anything possitive about the UK mate the doom mongers will be on you like a shot.

thornaby

"dont post anything possitive about the UK mate the doom mongers will be on you like a shot."
they already started bless em they don’t do positive must be a scream at swingers clubs lol

near ipswich

"dont post anything possitive about the UK mate the doom mongers will be on you like a shot. they already started bless em they don’t do positive must be a scream at swingers clubs lol"
still it keeps the Samaritans going.

By *ayturners turn hayMan  over a year ago

Wellingborugh

Great news for everyone apart from the merchants of doom and gloom whose only pleasure in life seems to be constantly running their country down .

If you worked for a company and constantly took such a negative view of the companies objectives , you would be dismissed .

Not only do we have record growth, the FTSE100 is close to an all time high so no one can claim that the growth is a fluke or manipulation of data . This is great news for pensioners and those prepared to invest in the future .

Contrary to popular belief it looks like Boris Johnson has management of the economy firmly under control . The newspaper article below indicates that we will continue to out perform other G7 nations

After suffering a deeper pandemic recession than its major peers, contracting 9.4% in 2020, the U.K. has enjoyed a stronger recovery, aided by billions of pounds of government aid to support jobs and firms through the crisis. The economy is forecast to outperform other Group of Seven nations once again this year.

Glad to see that the economy is doing well and that those who support Johnson and indeed supported leaving the EU are happy.

Statistics are what you make of them and all the statements that I have read in the thread are true.

Good economic growth is fantastic for business, it encourages employment and it should increase investment in the UK from abroad.

I doubt very much if the UK growth will outperform the others in the G7 this year as inflation will take its toll but we shall see.

The FTSE is back on track and back to what it was pre Brexit. Other World markets have however out performed it. Others have not (China).

It would be silly to complain about this growth but also silly to make it sound like the UK is outperforming everyone else when that is simply not true.

By *eanoCoolMan  over a year ago

wisbech

Brilliant news for everyone, the UK economy is doing really well considering the battering it has taken. My own companies sales figures show the growth in the uk at the end of last year was above almost all markets apart from the USA, China and Europe are still pretty flat apart from Germany which also showed decent growth. Inflation could be a problem as the other poster mentioned but inflation is rising everywhere, and the UK is no worse than many others so there is no reason to believe it will have anymore of a negative effect on the uk than any other countries at this time.

near ipswich

It seems non eu trade out performed eu trade too.

North West

My football team lost every game last season apart from the last one when they drew 0-0.

Despite being relegated I couldn’t understand why no-one was cheering on the 0-0 draw. I mean it was the best result of the season.

I don’t understand why people weren’t celebrating.

I wonder if they think I was stupid for celebrating the best result of the season?

By *leasure domMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

If practising deception by the selective use of statistics were against the law, Sunak and Johnson-Kemal would be behind bars. Office of Budget Responsibility has already reprimanded Johnson over this.

For honest analysis of such matters, listen to Tim Harford on Radio 4, More or Less

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

Very good news. Yes it has to be taken in context. No one is suggesting 2021 was a normal year and we know the UK had more ground to make up than many other places. It's good to see we are making up that ground at a very good pace. Unfortunately the Omicron had an effect otherwise growth would have been even stronger. I do see predictions that the UK will do well again this year but that has to be seen - hopefully they are correct

milton keynes

"It seems non eu trade out performed eu trade too. "

Its been changing throughout the year as companies are finding alternatives for both buying and selling product. It remains to be seen if this is a short term thing or more longer term

thornaby

"My football team lost every game last season apart from the last one when they drew 0-0.

Despite being relegated I couldn’t understand why no-one was cheering on the 0-0 draw. I mean it was the best result of the season.

I don’t understand why people weren’t celebrating.

I wonder if they think I was stupid for celebrating the best result of the season?"

well atleast you can drown your sorrows with a glass of red while lazing in your hot tub looking up at the aeroplanes in the sky aw wait you predicted they be all grounded never mind lol

I am unsure what the significance of EU and non EU trade is in this thread.

The figures to look at are the trade deficit (balance of trade).

I am sure that the EU have traded less with the UK this year - so what?

As we have left the EU and the common market, is it a surprise that there is less trade with the EU or am I missing something?

I think that the important thing is as already been discussed in that the UK economy had had a good year and is almost back to where it was pre Brexit and pandemic.

"U.K. economy sees best annual growth since world war 2 in 2021 some good news for a change eh ?

Brilliant news for everyone, the UK economy is doing really well considering the battering it has taken. My own companies sales figures show the growth in the uk at the end of last year was above almost all markets apart from the USA, China and Europe are still pretty flat apart from Germany which also showed decent growth. Inflation could be a problem as the other poster mentioned but inflation is rising everywhere, and the UK is no worse than many others so there is no reason to believe it will have anymore of a negative effect on the uk than any other countries at this time. "

I think UK has more national debt that many others, it also has a much larger trade deficit than many others. I think that means it will be worse impacted by inflation and interest rate rises than many others.

near ipswich

"I am unsure what the significance of EU and non EU trade is in this thread.

As we have left the EU and the common market, is it a surprise that there is less trade with the EU or am I missing something?

I think that the important thing is as already been discussed in that the UK economy had had a good year and is almost back to where it was pre Brexit and pandemic."

yes you are missing something the uk is moving on from being in the eu and i expect non eu trade to increase year on year as companies find an alternative.This was the whole point of getting out of a restrictive market that was shrinking year on year.

North West

"I am unsure what the significance of EU and non EU trade is in this thread.

I think that the important thing is as already been discussed in that the UK economy had had a good year and is almost back to where it was pre Brexit and pandemic.yes you are missing something the uk is moving on from being in the eu and i expect non eu trade to increase year on year as companies find an alternative.This was the whole point of getting out of a restrictive market that was shrinking year on year. "

We had trade deals via the EU with all the country’s that Liz Truss has made roll-over deals with. In some cases, the deals that she has made are the same as what we had before and in other cases they are worse for this country.

It is astonishing that you say the EU was a restrictive market when there was literally no restrictions in place compared to what we have now.

There is no economic model in the world that would suggest that placing restrictions on trade with your closest neighbours in order to try to increase trade with people thousands of miles away would bring success.

Brexit has cost the country as much as £230 billion (Bloomberg) in lost growth since 2016 and your celebration yesterday of a 7.6% growth (off the back of a 10% loss in 2020) only suggests a lack of awareness as to what is really going on.

You do understand that if you started 2020 with a reference point of say 100, the end of 2020 would be 90 (with a 10% loss). 7.6% of 90 is about 6.8, and so by the end of 2021, we were back up to 96.8% and now in 2022 we are facing massive energy hikes, large inflationary rises and a cost of living crisis.

Hence I don’t get excited at figures that get taken out of context.

As for Brexit, there will of course be occasional snippets of good and even better news, in the same way that there will be snippets of bad, and worse news. The issue is that the general trajectory is only in one direction and that is down. It’s just down to simple economics.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

Lolz so now we're celebrating the attempt to claw back to were we were prior to brexit.

Excellent work. Lol.

By *ornucopiaMan  over a year ago

Bexley

"The economy is forecast to grow faster than the other G7 nations this year aswell but some see this as bad news wonder why that is eh lol"

Possibly because massive rises in utility bills and just about everything else would appear to be signalling that most of us are likely to be worse off than ever before.

Of course, 'fastest growing' could merely be because we have got so far behind that there is more catching up for us to do than in the other G7 countries.

Good news, how much has it increased by this year?

Lolz so now we're celebrating the attempt to claw back to were we were prior to brexit.

Excellent work. Lol."

Indeed , why is the pound still so weak compared with the euro?

wisbech

Brilliant news for everyone, the UK economy is doing really well considering the battering it has taken. My own companies sales figures show the growth in the uk at the end of last year was above almost all markets apart from the USA, China and Europe are still pretty flat apart from Germany which also showed decent growth. Inflation could be a problem as the other poster mentioned but inflation is rising everywhere, and the UK is no worse than many others so there is no reason to believe it will have anymore of a negative effect on the uk than any other countries at this time. I think UK has more national debt that many others, it also has a much larger trade deficit than many others. I think that means it will be worse impacted by inflation and interest rate rises than many others."

I agree with you regarding the trade deficit but not on the debt front, greece, Italy, Portugal,Spain, Belgium, France and USA all have a higher ratio of debt to gdp than the uk, although I do agree ours is pretty horrendous and needs improvement.

Wellingborugh

I think we can safely dismiss the predictions of Bloomberg . You can adjust a models input to get any result that you like . Models predicting the number of Covid19 deaths have been proved wrong time and time ago .

The article below probably proves the point .

A salutary lesson in the dangers of allowing argument to dictate the assessment of evidence

A recent piece in Bloomberg repeated tired claims about the supposed underperformance of the British economy due to Brexit. The story focused on the OBR’s projections of what growth would have been had Britain not left the EU, and the Treasury Report’s estimates from 2018. Most egregiously, the piece treats these predictions as fact, rather than as hypotheticals.

We’ve dealt with these kinds of projections before – in brief, they involve substantial assumptions about the benefits of trade deals not backed up my much hard evidence, or (alternatively) ‘doppelganger’ analyses of comparator countries. Supporters of Brexit can expect these kinds of claims to persist. By nature, they are inherently unfalsifiable, and support the preconceptions of those who espouse them. This kind of economics may be dismal, but it is not the dismal science.

golden fields

"I think we can safely dismiss the predictions of Bloomberg . You can adjust a models input to get any result that you like . Models predicting the number of Covid19 deaths have been proved wrong time and time ago .

A salutary lesson in the dangers of allowing argument to dictate the assessment of evidence

A recent piece in Bloomberg repeated tired claims about the supposed underperformance of the British economy due to Brexit. The story focused on the OBR’s projections of what growth would have been had Britain not left the EU, and the Treasury Report’s estimates from 2018. Most egregiously, the piece treats these predictions as fact, rather than as hypotheticals.

We’ve dealt with these kinds of projections before – in brief, they involve substantial assumptions about the benefits of trade deals not backed up my much hard evidence, or (alternatively) ‘doppelganger’ analyses of comparator countries. Supporters of Brexit can expect these kinds of claims to persist. By nature, they are inherently unfalsifiable, and support the preconceptions of those who espouse them. This kind of economics may be dismal, but it is not the dismal science."

Lol, copy and pasted from "briefings for Britain".

That's very funny. It's a farcical anti-British website.

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

We also had the biggest trade deficit ever. Boris won’t bang on about that though.

near ipswich

"We also had the biggest trade deficit ever. Boris won’t bang on about that though."
i think most countries have suffered due to covid France has just recorded a record trade deficit in 2021 you dont hear much about that either unless you watch french tv.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

it's not particularly difficult to post positive growth figures when a countries economy has been all but shut down for two years ... it's not really newsworthy; the background story of the article being pressed so forcefully by a failed far right government that is in deep trouble from it's institutional criminality which is being investigated by the police is the actual story here.

North West

"I think we can safely dismiss the predictions of Bloomberg . You can adjust a models input to get any result that you like . Models predicting the number of Covid19 deaths have been proved wrong time and time ago .

We’ve dealt with these kinds of projections before – in brief, they involve substantial assumptions about the benefits of trade deals not backed up my much hard evidence, or (alternatively) ‘doppelganger’ analyses of comparator countries. Supporters of Brexit can expect these kinds of claims to persist. By nature, they are inherently unfalsifiable, and support the preconceptions of those who espouse them. This kind of economics may be dismal, but it is not the dismal science."

Safely dismiss Bloomberg and then copies another article from Bloomberg.

Top quality.

I sense another profile change coming soon.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Sort of…..

Yes it went up by 7.5% from the year previously… 2020 saw a drop of 9.4% on the year before that!

Context…..

but but but but - brexit (shhh, don't mention it) - and horrible meany weany Tories, and parties and climate change (did I mention brexit yet?) won't someone please blame brexit, for the love of Sir Keir

"but but but but - brexit (shhh, don't mention it) - and horrible meany weany Tories, and parties and climate change (did I mention brexit yet?) won't someone please blame brexit, for the love of Sir Keir "

Eh?

thornaby

Sort of…..

Yes it went up by 7.5% from the year previously… 2020 saw a drop of 9.4% on the year before that!

Context….. "

yes also set to grow again this year despite covid great news

Sort of…..

Context….. yes also set to grow again this year despite covid great news "

What are the growth figures for the last quarter ?

thornaby

Sort of…..

Context….. yes also set to grow again this year despite covid great news

What are the growth figures for the last quarter ? "

please tell ?

Sort of…..

What are the growth figures for the last quarter ? please tell ?"

1 %

thornaby

Sort of…..

What are the growth figures for the last quarter ? please tell ?

1 % "

so your not expecting growth this year then lol

North West

This is such a weird thread.

Energy bills are just about to go through the roof. National Insurance and Council Taxes going up, food inflation currently at 7% and expected to hit 10%.

Whilst ordinary people are going to get hammered, we need to celebrate an economic rebound that is less than the previous years fall.

Are the people of this country somehow less important than some figures that are being twisted to put Boris Johnson and his useless Government in a good light?

Seriously!!

Sort of…..

What are the growth figures for the last quarter ? please tell ?

1 % so your not expecting growth this year then lol"

If it continues at 1 % a quarter then it will be less than inflation

milton keynes

Sort of…..

Context….. "

The context has been mentioned several times on this thread by others and myself. No one is hiding the context just saying its good to have some good news. If the economy was not strong enough to rebound I'm sure that would be pointed out widely

milton keynes

Sort of…..

What are the growth figures for the last quarter ? please tell ?"

1% for the last quarter. According to the ONS that was pretty healthy given the omicron spread. I think this year will be challenging again with inflation ect. Hopefully no more covid variants to deal with this year

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Oliver Jameson, head of FInancial Review, a business think tank, checked the numbers, before the pandemic, our economy was at 9%, but now its at 7%, and considering the shafting we all are going to get in April the good news ain’t going to last, but it’s the little things I suppose.

milton keynes

Oliver Jameson, head of FInancial Review, a business think tank, checked the numbers, before the pandemic, our economy was at 9%, but now its at 7%, and considering the shafting we all are going to get in April the good news ain’t going to last, but it’s the little things I suppose."

When you say our economy was at 9% before the pandemic, what does that mean? Are they saying yearly growth was 9% before the pandemic? Or does it relate to something else?

By *rLibertineMan  over a year ago

North Suffolk

Oliver Jameson, head of FInancial Review, a business think tank, checked the numbers, before the pandemic, our economy was at 9%, but now its at 7%, and considering the shafting we all are going to get in April the good news ain’t going to last, but it’s the little things I suppose.

When you say our economy was at 9% before the pandemic, what does that mean? Are they saying yearly growth was 9% before the pandemic? Or does it relate to something else?"

our economy has been shrinking the last 2 years. The only country in the G7 who’s economy shrunk more was Japan. It’s great it’s now rising but we are starting from a much lower starting point so you would expect a quicker recovery (initially)

milton keynes

When you say our economy was at 9% before the pandemic, what does that mean? Are they saying yearly growth was 9% before the pandemic? Or does it relate to something else?

our economy has been shrinking the last 2 years. The only country in the G7 who’s economy shrunk more was Japan. It’s great it’s now rising but we are starting from a much lower starting point so you would expect a quicker recovery (initially)

"

Indeed, myself and several others have pointed this our and that its good our economy is strong enough to rebound. However, with respect that does not answer my question to the other poster about Oliver Jamison

Wellingborugh

Maybe we should include other news just to ensure that this good news is not a fluke result .

The FTSE100 is close to an all time high ( so great for every working person who is a member of a pension fund ) . Dividend income is around 4.1 % so another good result despite Covid 19 .

Just to be on the safe side unemployment figures should to checked . These are at an all time low .

The UK unemployment rate went down to 4.1% in the three months to November 2021, the lowest since the three months to June 2020 and below market expectations of 4.2%. The unemployment rate had generally been falling since late 2013 until the start of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic from December 2019 to February 2020. It has increased since then, but has fallen since the end of 2020. The decrease in unemployment over the latest three-month period was driven by those who were unemployed for up to 12 months, with those unemployed for up to six months decreasing to slightly below pre-coronavirus levels. Those who were unemployed for between 6 and 12 months continued to decrease from the peak reached in early 2021. Long-term unemployment saw the second decrease over a three-month period since May to July 2020. The report also showed the number of employees on payroll rose by 184,000 in December, the most on record, while job vacancies hit a new record of 1.247 million. source: Office for National Statistics

"Maybe we should include other news just to ensure that this good news is not a fluke result .

The FTSE100 is close to an all time high ( so great for every working person who is a member of a pension fund ) . Dividend income is around 4.1 % so another good result despite Covid 19 .

Just to be on the safe side unemployment figures should to checked . These are at an all time low .

The UK unemployment rate went down to 4.1% in the three months to November 2021, the lowest since the three months to June 2020 and below market expectations of 4.2%. The unemployment rate had generally been falling since late 2013 until the start of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic from December 2019 to February 2020. It has increased since then, but has fallen since the end of 2020. The decrease in unemployment over the latest three-month period was driven by those who were unemployed for up to 12 months, with those unemployed for up to six months decreasing to slightly below pre-coronavirus levels. Those who were unemployed for between 6 and 12 months continued to decrease from the peak reached in early 2021. Long-term unemployment saw the second decrease over a three-month period since May to July 2020. The report also showed the number of employees on payroll rose by 184,000 in December, the most on record, while job vacancies hit a new record of 1.247 million. source: Office for National Statistics"

PMSL

thornaby

"Maybe we should include other news just to ensure that this good news is not a fluke result .

The UK unemployment rate went down to 4.1% in the three months to November 2021, the lowest since the three months to June 2020 and below market expectations of 4.2%. The unemployment rate had generally been falling since late 2013 until the start of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic from December 2019 to February 2020. It has increased since then, but has fallen since the end of 2020. The decrease in unemployment over the latest three-month period was driven by those who were unemployed for up to 12 months, with those unemployed for up to six months decreasing to slightly below pre-coronavirus levels. Those who were unemployed for between 6 and 12 months continued to decrease from the peak reached in early 2021. Long-term unemployment saw the second decrease over a three-month period since May to July 2020. The report also showed the number of employees on payroll rose by 184,000 in December, the most on record, while job vacancies hit a new record of 1.247 million. source: Office for National Statistics"

for gods sake don’t post more good news the squad will go into meltdown there hearing only bad news on radio remain

golden fields

Copied and pasted from trading economics. Com.

This is a really weird approach you take. Copying and pasting barely related text from weird sources.

What's the purpose?

North West

The UK unemployment rate went down to 4.1% in the three months to November 2021, the lowest since the three months to June 2020 and below market expectations of 4.2%. The unemployment rate had generally been falling since late 2013 until the start of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic from December 2019 to February 2020. It has increased since then, but has fallen since the end of 2020. The decrease in unemployment over the latest three-month period was driven by those who were unemployed for up to 12 months, with those unemployed for up to six months decreasing to slightly below pre-coronavirus levels. Those who were unemployed for between 6 and 12 months continued to decrease from the peak reached in early 2021. Long-term unemployment saw the second decrease over a three-month period since May to July 2020. The report also showed the number of employees on payroll rose by 184,000 in December, the most on record, while job vacancies hit a new record of 1.247 million. source: Office for National Statistics

This is a really weird approach you take. Copying and pasting barely related text from weird sources.

What's the purpose?"

It’s a pattern with some posters.

Some posters do this until their profile becomes toxic and they re-spawn with a new profile.

This particular poster has unique syntax and so gets outed regularly and quickly.

Who knows why people do this? It’s just bizarre.

Wellingborugh

What's the purpose?"

Surely unemployment figures must be very relevant to economic growth. If you can check both economic growth and unemployment figures in illustrates that the growth is not a fluke result. I guess some people on here only want people to post bad news about the UK

thornaby

What's the purpose? Surely unemployment figures must be very relevant to economic growth. If you can check both economic growth and unemployment figures in illustrates that the growth is not a fluke result. I guess some people on here only want people to post bad news about the UK "

ain’t that the truth it’s bizarre

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

More or less.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00146b6

The Prime Minister lying about unemployment and crime despite being corrected.

The UK economy has grown strongly after falling the most sharply.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60344573.amp

The comparison over one year when we performed so poorly at the start is more flattering than if compared to pre-Covid.

It is very much to the good that the economy is growing. Nothing to brag about, given the context, but good.

I'll repeat that for those who wish to infer something else.

IT'S GOOD THAT THE ECONOMY IS GROWING

By *inkywife1981Couple  over a year ago

A town near you

We're well jel over here.

My brother lives in the UK and drivee a truck for the past 25 years, the last 2 years he has never earned so much/nett pay per week.

Construction companies in the UK are recruiting in Ireland offering very enticing wages!

By *ebbie69Couple  over a year ago

milton keynes

That's a lot of figures lol. I was somewhat sceptical about some of them especially the amount of people in employment. I was not sure what source you used so had a look at the ONS report. It appears your figure of 184,000 more people employed is accurate. What I found more surprising is that they say compared to February 2020 pre pandemic level there is 409,000 more people on pay roles. What with furlough ended I was not expecting that. What they don't make clear is if these are people in full time or part time jobs. Don't get me wrong, it's good news more are employed, I was just curious on the context

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

That's a lot of figures lol. I was somewhat sceptical about some of them especially the amount of people in employment. I was not sure what source you used so had a look at the ONS report. It appears your figure of 184,000 more people employed is accurate. What I found more surprising is that they say compared to February 2020 pre pandemic level there is 409,000 more people on pay roles. What with furlough ended I was not expecting that. What they don't make clear is if these are people in full time or part time jobs. Don't get me wrong, it's good news more are employed, I was just curious on the context"

If you listen to the More or Less link you will see that it has been a slight-of-hand using figures in permanent employment many of whom switched from self-employment due the change in tax rules. So no actual increase to speak of.

milton keynes

That's a lot of figures lol. I was somewhat sceptical about some of them especially the amount of people in employment. I was not sure what source you used so had a look at the ONS report. It appears your figure of 184,000 more people employed is accurate. What I found more surprising is that they say compared to February 2020 pre pandemic level there is 409,000 more people on pay roles. What with furlough ended I was not expecting that. What they don't make clear is if these are people in full time or part time jobs. Don't get me wrong, it's good news more are employed, I was just curious on the context

If you listen to the More or Less link you will see that it has been a slight-of-hand using figures in permanent employment many of whom switched from self-employment due the change in tax rules. So no actual increase to speak of."

Thank you. I was thinking more along the lines of part time or zero hour jobs instead. Sound like a politicians worked on this. I wish the ONS would make it clear how many are new jobs and how many are ex self employed. Trouble is that if a politician says there are more people on pay rolls than before the pandemic they are factually correct but conveniently don't mention how that happened

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

"We're well jel over here.

My brother lives in the UK and drivee a truck for the past 25 years, the last 2 years he has never earned so much/nett pay per week.

Construction companies in the UK are recruiting in Ireland offering very enticing wages!"

my european job agencies are booming with recruits from the EU working on the NE freeport project and renewables projects, and all the property i snapped up from mortgage defaulters in the region over the last 20 years has come in handy for giving the EU craftsmen and women a local postcode address. it's win win for everyone.

By *andy 1Couple  over a year ago

northeast

"dont post anything possitive about the UK mate the doom mongers will be on you like a shot."

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

It's good news - not great news. Its comparison to post-WW2 recovery ought to tell you something - it's recovery from a disaster.

While we're celebrating, we should consider that rationing lasted for 10 years after WW2 ended and it took us a lot longer than that to pay off our debts to the USA.

So, to continue the comparison - you can bet that foodbanks are going to be a fixture in UK life for a decade and it's going to take further decades to pay off the Covid debt.

You're not wrong to highlight an improvement - but don't expect anyone with any intelligence at all to ignore the wider picture.

By *ity_BoyMan  over a year ago

London

A rise of 7.5% after a fall of 9.4%. So a net slowdown of 1.9%

golden fields

"A rise of 7.5% after a fall of 9.4%. So a net slowdown of 1.9%"

Welcome to the UK 2022, a place where you're attacked for not celebrating a 1.9% drop in the economy.

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

It’s actually worse than that as the 9.4% drop is a bigger base figure than what the 7-4% is based on.

This is a pop song from 1991 by the wonderful Stereolab. For years I was humming along without really listening to the lyrics.

It's alright 'cause the historical pattern has shown

How the economical cycle tends to revolve

In a round of decades three stages stand out in a loop

A slump and war then peel back to square one and back for more

Bigger slump and bigger wars and a smaller recovery

Huger slump and greater wars and a shallower recovery

You see the recovery always comes 'round again

There's nothing to worry for things will look after themselves

It's alright recovery always comes 'round again

There's nothing to worry if things can only get better

There's only millions that lose their jobs and homes and sometimes their sense.

There's only millions that die in their bloody wars, it's alright

It's only their lives and the lives of their next of kin that they are losing

It's only their lives and the lives of their next of kin that they are losing

Don't worry be happy things will get better naturally

Don't worry shut up sit down go with it and be happy

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"A rise of 7.5% after a fall of 9.4%. So a net slowdown of 1.9%

It’s actually worse than that as the 9.4% drop is a bigger base figure than what the 7-4% is based on. "

Yep… works out it is about 2.6% worse overall that it would have been originally

milton keynes

It’s actually worse than that as the 9.4% drop is a bigger base figure than what the 7-4% is based on.

Yep… works out it is about 2.6% worse overall that it would have been originally "

As you mentioned earlier context is important. Shame it's conveniently forgotten now

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Yep… works out it is about 2.6% worse overall that it would have been originally "

milton keynes

It’s actually worse than that as the 9.4% drop is a bigger base figure than what the 7-4% is based on. "

That was my initial thoughts but turns out its not quite correct. I remember that in November the uk briefly got back to pre pandemic levels but with a covid resurgence fell back in December. So if the uk is currently at minus 2% it means we lost 2% in December alone. This did not seem correct and indeed it turns out not to be correct. The growth figures are not straightforward (well not for me anyway). For instance the final quarter growth was 1%. I assumed this was compared to the same period the previous year but it is actually 1% growth from the previous quarter which itself is calculated from its previous quarter. Anyway it turns out the official figure is the UK is 0.4% below pre pandemic level. My explanation might not be great for which I apologize but the 0.4% is what they say

Wellingborugh

Pay increases and recruitment ar showing positives as well . The article below provides some detail . It is great to see more good news in addition to that already reported .

UK employers are planning the biggest pay hikes of the last decade, but wages for workers will still be below the rate of inflation, a new report says.

While the Bank of England (BoE) signalled worries over an overheating labour market and rampant wage gains, the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) found employers expect to award pay rises of 3% in 2022.

Britain's pay growth has increased sharply higher compared to pre-COVID, thanks in part to the pace of the economic recovery following lockdowns at the onset of the pandemic in 2020.

Some 70% of employers plan to recruit in the first quarter of 2022 and 11% plan to make redundancies. CIPD noted that redundancy intentions were significantly higher prior to COVID — at 16% in winter 2019-2020.

However, while recruitment intentions remain strong, 46% of UK employers report having job vacancies that are hard-to-fill. Meanwhile, two thirds (64%) expect to have problems filling jobs in the next six months, with 33% expecting these problems to be "significant".

wisbech

That was my initial thoughts but turns out its not quite correct. I remember that in November the uk briefly got back to pre pandemic levels but with a covid resurgence fell back in December. So if the uk is currently at minus 2% it means we lost 2% in December alone. This did not seem correct and indeed it turns out not to be correct. The growth figures are not straightforward (well not for me anyway). For instance the final quarter growth was 1%. I assumed this was compared to the same period the previous year but it is actually 1% growth from the previous quarter which itself is calculated from its previous quarter. Anyway it turns out the official figure is the UK is 0.4% below pre pandemic level. My explanation might not be great for which I apologize but the 0.4% is what they say"

Your explanation is fine, maybe some of the other posters on the forum should of checked there figures. I wonder how many others will apologise for there factually incorrect posts above

North West

"Pay increases and recruitment ar showing positives as well . The article below provides some detail . It is great to see more good news in addition to that already reported .

UK employers are planning the biggest pay hikes of the last decade, but wages for workers will still be below the rate of inflation, a new report says.

While the Bank of England (BoE) signalled worries over an overheating labour market and rampant wage gains, the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) found employers expect to award pay rises of 3% in 2022.

Britain's pay growth has increased sharply higher compared to pre-COVID, thanks in part to the pace of the economic recovery following lockdowns at the onset of the pandemic in 2020.

Some 70% of employers plan to recruit in the first quarter of 2022 and 11% plan to make redundancies. CIPD noted that redundancy intentions were significantly higher prior to COVID — at 16% in winter 2019-2020.

However, while recruitment intentions remain strong, 46% of UK employers report having job vacancies that are hard-to-fill. Meanwhile, two thirds (64%) expect to have problems filling jobs in the next six months, with 33% expecting these problems to be "significant"."

It seems clear from your propensity to copy and paste and offer no personal opinion of historical relevance, I will simply point out this section from your latest copy and paste...

"UK employers are planning the biggest pay hikes of the last decade, but wages for workers will still be below the rate of inflation, a new report says."

This crucial segment has historical relevance and the fight for wages to keep up with inflation is what did for the United Kingdom in the 1970's.

There is absolutely nothing to celebrate large pay increases when inflation is also accelerating as this simply adds fuel to the fire, as has been proven time and time again through history.

Much as it is a bitter pill to swallow, the best way of controlling inflation is to resist it by avoiding large pay increases and moderating the consumption of produce that is inflated in price.

Unfortunately, it is not human nature to consider the greater good - just think back to toilet rolls in the first lockdown.

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

all around

"Pay increases and recruitment ar showing positives as well . The article below provides some detail . It is great to see more good news in addition to that already reported .

However, while recruitment intentions remain strong, 46% of UK employers report having job vacancies that are hard-to-fill. Meanwhile, two thirds (64%) expect to have problems filling jobs in the next six months, with 33% expecting these problems to be "significant".

It seems clear from your propensity to copy and paste and offer no personal opinion of historical relevance, I will simply point out this section from your latest copy and paste...

"UK employers are planning the biggest pay hikes of the last decade, but wages for workers will still be below the rate of inflation, a new report says."

This crucial segment has historical relevance and the fight for wages to keep up with inflation is what did for the United Kingdom in the 1970's.

There is absolutely nothing to celebrate large pay increases when inflation is also accelerating as this simply adds fuel to the fire, as has been proven time and time again through history.

Much as it is a bitter pill to swallow, the best way of controlling inflation is to resist it by avoiding large pay increases and moderating the consumption of produce that is inflated in price.

Unfortunately, it is not human nature to consider the greater good - just think back to toilet rolls in the first lockdown."

Unfortunately we have a prime minister who openly states he wants wages to rise

"The economy is forecast to grow faster than the other G7 nations this year aswell but some see this as bad news wonder why that is eh lol"

With inflation running at 7% it would be hard not to

Manchester

That was my initial thoughts but turns out its not quite correct. I remember that in November the uk briefly got back to pre pandemic levels but with a covid resurgence fell back in December. So if the uk is currently at minus 2% it means we lost 2% in December alone. This did not seem correct and indeed it turns out not to be correct. The growth figures are not straightforward (well not for me anyway). For instance the final quarter growth was 1%. I assumed this was compared to the same period the previous year but it is actually 1% growth from the previous quarter which itself is calculated from its previous quarter. Anyway it turns out the official figure is the UK is 0.4% below pre pandemic level. My explanation might not be great for which I apologize but the 0.4% is what they say"

So who said the economy was fully recovered?? I’ve not seen that anywhere.

The surge you refer to I am guessing ( can’t prove as it’s various reports) was the release of pent up spending catching up in a big buying wave from reading the commons library. So it was a very positive blip in the real picture .

It’s another case of statistics being measured in a positive way by excluding a longer or real picture.

“600 k more in work”is actually more on the payroll when in fact it’s 600k less jobs.

All parties both labour and Tory do this stats manipulation but sone in the Tory party actually turn it into a blatant lie.

There is no clear way to measure the loss other than over a longer time . The economy is smaller now than it was which isn’t disputed and that’s the reality .

ONS said today now even less in work and yet Boris won’t admit he’s wrong to lie to Parliament,

The speaker is avoiding this for some reason.

So in conclusion I’m not saying you are wrong in but I will maintain we are much worse off than minus 0.4%

Manchester

"The economy is forecast to grow faster than the other G7 nations this year aswell but some see this as bad news wonder why that is eh lol

With inflation running at 7% it would be hard not to "

By adding inflation our GDP is up 200B plus so it will be spun and claimed we are back where we started . Does everyone feel they are back where they started and things like fuel is the same , food is the same , electricity is the same?

Wages are underperforming inflation so someone’s worse off . Truck drivers can still afford a fry up so that’s good.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

The bounce back was inevitable because of the size of the crash preceding it. But the suggestion that it is anything but a bounce back is as ridiculous as Johnson’s claim about the fastest growing economy in the G7."

This headline was pulled apart the other day by a statistician on the radio. If you measure growth in past period only it’s high, but that’s because last period was so bad, if you measure since before Covid it’s slowest growth out of all G7 countries, so we are the worst. He lies , you should know this by now….

milton keynes

That was my initial thoughts but turns out its not quite correct. I remember that in November the uk briefly got back to pre pandemic levels but with a covid resurgence fell back in December. So if the uk is currently at minus 2% it means we lost 2% in December alone. This did not seem correct and indeed it turns out not to be correct. The growth figures are not straightforward (well not for me anyway). For instance the final quarter growth was 1%. I assumed this was compared to the same period the previous year but it is actually 1% growth from the previous quarter which itself is calculated from its previous quarter. Anyway it turns out the official figure is the UK is 0.4% below pre pandemic level. My explanation might not be great for which I apologize but the 0.4% is what they say

The surge you refer to I am guessing ( can’t prove as it’s various reports) was the release of pent up spending catching up in a big buying wave from reading the commons library. So it was a very positive blip in the real picture .

It’s another case of statistics being measured in a positive way by excluding a longer or real picture.

“600 k more in work”is actually more on the payroll when in fact it’s 600k less jobs.

All parties both labour and Tory do this stats manipulation but sone in the Tory party actually turn it into a blatant lie.

There is no clear way to measure the loss other than over a longer time . The economy is smaller now than it was which isn’t disputed and that’s the reality .

ONS said today now even less in work and yet Boris won’t admit he’s wrong to lie to Parliament,

So in conclusion I’m not saying you are wrong in but I will maintain we are much worse off than minus 0.4% "

Allow me to say I am not making any claims or saying something is good or bad, I am simply saying what I have discovered on the subject. As I say my initial thoughts and rough calculations were similar to yours and others on here. However I could not work out how that tallied with November's figures that showed pre pandemic levels. You ask where I saw this, well personally I saw it on the BBC but it's also reported by the guardian, FT, Reuters, Bloomberg ect. The official figure is currently minus 0.4% . The fact people may not feel like that is of course for them but it is the figure I'm afraid. The UK was not all one in this with USA and France also doing the same. Germany not quite there yet but expect it will soon. As for the employment you will from my earlier post that I was sceptical and another poster kindly informed me it was due to people moving from self employment to employment as opposed to any real new jobs. I do hope I am not offending anyone with these figures but I used to see all sorts of claims from odd sources and they were told you need to use official figures. So that's all I have done. Again , no claims being made good or bad

Manchester

[Removed by poster at 15/02/22 21:11:34]

Manchester

So in conclusion I’m not saying you are wrong in but I will maintain we are much worse off than minus 0.4%

Allow me to say I am not making any claims or saying something is good or bad, I am simply saying what I have discovered on the subject. As I say my initial thoughts and rough calculations were similar to yours and others on here. However I could not work out how that tallied with November's figures that showed pre pandemic levels. You ask where I saw this, well personally I saw it on the BBC but it's also reported by the guardian, FT, Reuters, Bloomberg ect. The official figure is currently minus 0.4% . The fact people may not feel like that is of course for them but it is the figure I'm afraid. The UK was not all one in this with USA and France also doing the same. Germany not quite there yet but expect it will soon. As for the employment you will from my earlier post that I was sceptical and another poster kindly informed me it was due to people moving from self employment to employment as opposed to any real new jobs. I do hope I am not offending anyone with these figures but I used to see all sorts of claims from odd sources and they were told you need to use official figures. So that's all I have done. Again , no claims being made good or bad"

Good post and don’t wish to argue your points. It’s about statistics all the way.

I was partially corrected the other day as I didn’t allow for inflation so wonder if your figures do?

I suppose it’s about how you measure.

Long term is bad I think that is a definite.

I just wish politicians weee sacked if they lie. Also we need as a country to have set measurements so politicians can’t spin so easily.

milton keynes

Allow me to say I am not making any claims or saying something is good or bad, I am simply saying what I have discovered on the subject. As I say my initial thoughts and rough calculations were similar to yours and others on here. However I could not work out how that tallied with November's figures that showed pre pandemic levels. You ask where I saw this, well personally I saw it on the BBC but it's also reported by the guardian, FT, Reuters, Bloomberg ect. The official figure is currently minus 0.4% . The fact people may not feel like that is of course for them but it is the figure I'm afraid. The UK was not all one in this with USA and France also doing the same. Germany not quite there yet but expect it will soon. As for the employment you will from my earlier post that I was sceptical and another poster kindly informed me it was due to people moving from self employment to employment as opposed to any real new jobs. I do hope I am not offending anyone with these figures but I used to see all sorts of claims from odd sources and they were told you need to use official figures. So that's all I have done. Again , no claims being made good or bad

Good post and don’t wish to argue your points. It’s about statistics all the way.

I was partially corrected the other day as I didn’t allow for inflation so wonder if your figures do?

I suppose it’s about how you measure.

Long term is bad I think that is a definite.

I just wish politicians weee sacked if they lie. Also we need as a country to have set measurements so politicians can’t spin so easily. "

That is most gracious of you - thank you

The figures alas are not mine but from places like the ONS. They are a direct comparison between 2 points in time. First is just before the pandemic and second is present day with reference to November 2021. That I guess is the last time we had figures not affected by covid. It's the same for all countries who are also recovering at various rates.The method of calculation of the figures has not changed so it's a fair comparison. Sadly politicians will always spin wherever possible which is one reason why I prefer facts/results

Whilst the news is worth celebrating, maybe not a cause to get carried away. The real cause for celebration will be when the wider population in general see an increase in their standard of living - a rebalance of wages to cost of living. That should be a more meaningful measure for most than bullshit about “GDP” which can serve to hide a multitude of ‘sins’ within the economy. Such as gross disparity in the beneficiaries if the ‘growth’. Putting lipstick on a pig does not improve the taste of the bacon

Wellingborugh

In addition to all the points already mentioned house owners will have benefitted from a 10 % annual increase in the value of their property . Whilst the increase may be academic it gives many people a feeling of security. Sadly it is of little benefit to first time buyers so maybe a question of swings and roundabouts. It is also worth mentioning that mortgage interest rates are at an all time low and many people have benefitted from this.

By *uddy laneMan  over a year ago

dudley

"In addition to all the points already mentioned house owners will have benefitted from a 10 % annual increase in the value of their property . Whilst the increase may be academic it gives many people a feeling of security. Sadly it is of little benefit to first time buyers so maybe a question of swings and roundabouts. It is also worth mentioning that mortgage interest rates are at an all time low and many people have benefitted from this. "

But only if you have a mortgage, if you have savings you earn next to nothing them with low interest rates.

"In addition to all the points already mentioned house owners will have benefitted from a 10 % annual increase in the value of their property . Whilst the increase may be academic it gives many people a feeling of security. Sadly it is of little benefit to first time buyers so maybe a question of swings and roundabouts. It is also worth mentioning that mortgage interest rates are at an all time low and many people have benefitted from this.

But only if you have a mortgage, if you have savings you earn next to nothing them with low interest rates."

Hence why so much of the nation/ “savings” has been diverted into “property investment” - further ramping up prices, distorting the market and exposing the country to ever greater risk from a future credit crunch.

Imagine trying to cure a crack addict by introducing them to heroine!

Wellingborugh

"In addition to all the points already mentioned house owners will have benefitted from a 10 % annual increase in the value of their property . Whilst the increase may be academic it gives many people a feeling of security. Sadly it is of little benefit to first time buyers so maybe a question of swings and roundabouts. It is also worth mentioning that mortgage interest rates are at an all time low and many people have benefitted from this.

But only if you have a mortgage, if you have savings you earn next to nothing them with low interest rates."

Very true. Anyone putting money on deposit has suffered a raw deal in the last twenty years.

Manchester

But only if you have a mortgage, if you have savings you earn next to nothing them with low interest rates.

Hence why so much of the nation/ “savings” has been diverted into “property investment” - further ramping up prices, distorting the market and exposing the country to ever greater risk from a future credit crunch.

Imagine trying to cure a crack addict by introducing them to heroine! "

Giving up the gold standard and the wanton printing of money has added to this as the extra money in circulation is always going towards the better off and will be used to further invest in property and increase prices. Especially while interest rates offered very little reward.

Compare the rise in property to average wages over the last 50 years.

Manchester

"Whilst the news is worth celebrating, maybe not a cause to get carried away. The real cause for celebration will be when the wider population in general see an increase in their standard of living - a rebalance of wages to cost of living. That should be a more meaningful measure for most than bullshit about “GDP” which can serve to hide a multitude of ‘sins’ within the economy. Such as gross disparity in the beneficiaries if the ‘growth’. Putting lipstick on a pig does not improve the taste of the bacon "

Yes GDP has doubled in 40 years and are most of the population better off? No they’re not. Where’s the cash??

As the old saying goes money goes to money especially when the tax system is always in their favour.

The compound effect of wealth leaves most of the population just running faster and faster on that treadmill as usual.

Wellingborugh

"Whilst the news is worth celebrating, maybe not a cause to get carried away. The real cause for celebration will be when the wider population in general see an increase in their standard of living - a rebalance of wages to cost of living. That should be a more meaningful measure for most than bullshit about “GDP” which can serve to hide a multitude of ‘sins’ within the economy. Such as gross disparity in the beneficiaries if the ‘growth’. Putting lipstick on a pig does not improve the taste of the bacon

Yes GDP has doubled in 40 years and are most of the population better off? No they’re not. Where’s the cash??

As the old saying goes money goes to money especially when the tax system is always in their favour.

The compound effect of wealth leaves most of the population just running faster and faster on that treadmill as usual. "

. However we can safely ignore the rich and the impact of taxation on them.

What matters is the standard of living of ordinary working people. Technology and mechanisation has removed the necessity for a lot tedious and mundane work.

Car ownership and airline travel are an illustration of the vast improvement on the standard of living of most people. This is shared accross all sections of society . The government has ensured that the disabled also benefit. There are currently 620,000 members of the motability scheme which all qualifying people ( the disabled ) to have a brand new car .

Laptops and mobile phones are no longer regarded as a luxury .

Any member of a pension fund can now self manage and is not compelled to buy an annuity . This has lead to an increase in wealth for a significant number of families .

The most important wealth is not monetary , it is family values and your spiritual well being. No amount of money or taxation can buy this

Manchester

"Whilst the news is worth celebrating, maybe not a cause to get carried away. The real cause for celebration will be when the wider population in general see an increase in their standard of living - a rebalance of wages to cost of living. That should be a more meaningful measure for most than bullshit about “GDP” which can serve to hide a multitude of ‘sins’ within the economy. Such as gross disparity in the beneficiaries if the ‘growth’. Putting lipstick on a pig does not improve the taste of the bacon

The compound effect of wealth leaves most of the population just running faster and faster on that treadmill as usual. . However we can safely ignore the rich and the impact of taxation on them.

What matters is the standard of living of ordinary working people. Technology and mechanisation has removed the necessity for a lot tedious and mundane work.

Car ownership and airline travel are an illustration of the vast improvement on the standard of living of most people. This is shared accross all sections of society . The government has ensured that the disabled also benefit. There are currently 620,000 members of the motability scheme which all qualifying people ( the disabled ) to have a brand new car .

Laptops and mobile phones are no longer regarded as a luxury .

Any member of a pension fund can now self manage and is not compelled to buy an annuity . This has lead to an increase in wealth for a significant number of families .

The most important wealth is not monetary , it is family values and your spiritual well being. No amount of money or taxation can buy this "

Yes son the use of technology as opposed to labour I agree it’s affected jobs. We as a country however do not have jobs to replace the mundane so those people are left behind. Unemployed trains schemes don’t give you a data science degree.

Think you’ll find the cost of flights and holidays and laptops has come down relative to peoples income not wealth gone up.

Yes car buying disability benefit for some who need it and some who sponge it.

Regarding benefits however, please explain to those who are declared fit for work who blatantly can’t work. My friends wife is bed ridden and unable to construct a sentence. Her doctor has written to the benefits office four times and yet they insisted on an interview in her bedroom to check if she was fit for work. They have still 18 months later not agreed to a career allowance. The generous benefits you mention are not as generous as you claim as can be seen by the massive uptake in the use of food banks.

Increase in pension wealth or just cash temporarily in their wallet? Most people don’t know how to invest the cash so I would suggest whilst I can’t prove they are worse off you certainly can’t claim they are wealthier.

The ability to cash in has also reduced savings in this country to the point that added to the shortfall of contributions so we have a possible £1.5 Trillion black hole in pension funding. That’s going well isn’t it.

As for the emotional wealth that’s a nice thought but not sure if your heatings off and there’s no food in the house it’s much of a comfort.

By *ack4NinaCouple  over a year ago

Carmarthen

Great news. Anything is better than nothing . But, my Lawn grows faster than expected. It has just been cut back though and it is spring.

By *uddy laneMan  over a year ago

dudley

That must be tax year 2020 to 2021 which is promising, if 2021 to 2022 is the same great.

By *quirtyndirty!Couple  over a year ago

Nottingham

This post hasn't aged well

Bexley

"This post hasn't aged well"

It seems to keep Boris going with his standard retort at PMQs.

By *mateur100Man  over a year ago

nr faversham

"This post hasn't aged well

It seems to keep Boris going with his standard retort at PMQs."

The figures would indicate the UK economy continues to grow, faster than the EU.

milton keynes

The figures would indicate the UK economy continues to grow, faster than the EU."

Above pre pandemic level according to the BBC. Could be some difficult months ahead with all that's happening but good news all the same

milton keynes

The figures would indicate the UK economy continues to grow, faster than the EU."

It's good that the UK has returned to growth after December blip and by more than predicted. Glad to see it also confirms my previous posts about how we were all (myself included) looking at the figures incorrectly. Considering the UK had more ground to make up than most other countries in the same time it's also a relief. I think quite a mixture in the EU with some also back to early 2020 levels while others still to get there. Germany seem to be slower than expected but I understand they are more of a production economy and suffering from supply chain problems. Coupled with the Ukrainian situation some are predicting they could slip into recession this year which I hope is not the case. As others say there will be difficult times ahead

Bexley

I am glad that one or two of you have unwavering confidence in the situation but it doesn't sit very well with me as someone on a fixed income watching all my expenses going through the roof.

Ayr

I suppose it is good news. Although, as others have mentioned, it's not actually growth, it's recovery - and it's by no means assured to continue.

Do you believe it's good enough to balance out all the bad news?

Are you one of those people happy to ignore increases in the prices of gas, electricity, petrol, diesel - and food?

Do you think that the effect of these items rising in price faster than increases in wages, pensions and benefits, combined with the increase in inflation - probably to a minimum of 7% - is going to be negated by overall economic growth?

I'm not doom mongering. I'm asking you to justify your optimism; beyond your personal finances and lack of critical thinking.

Ayr

The arithmetic the OP - and all Tories - just refuse to do.

By *entadreadMan  over a year ago

Essex

I suppose it is good news. Although, as others have mentioned, it's not actually growth, it's recovery - and it's by no means assured to continue.

Are you one of those people happy to ignore increases in the prices of gas, electricity, petrol, diesel - and food?

Do you think that the effect of these items rising in price faster than increases in wages, pensions and benefits, combined with the increase in inflation - probably to a minimum of 7% - is going to be negated by overall economic growth?

I'm not doom mongering. I'm asking you to justify your optimism; beyond your personal finances and lack of critical thinking."

I am sure the OP has a different outlook now, since starting the thread 5 weeks ago.

Wellingborugh

I'm not doom mongering. I'm asking you to justify your optimism; beyond your personal finances and lack of critical thinking."

. The difference might be that the price of gas , electricity and food is controlled by world markets over which the UK has little control.The growth as reported is a very good result.

milton keynes

The arithmetic the OP - and all Tories - just refuse to do."

The arithmetic shown is incorrect. If you scroll up this thread I posted about it after making the same arithmetic error myself. The latest ONS figures confirm this. Like most if not all countries the UK has been in recovery and as many correctly say the UK economy dropped further in covid than most so had more recovery to do. Fortunately the UK has recovered to now be above pre pandemic levels. If I recall correctly I think France and America are too (I'm sure there are many others). Germany is a little surprising in that despite not falling as far they are still below pre pandemic levels. I expect the Ukrainian situation is not helping in the slightest. I too am sceptical about the rest of this year and the predictions by financial people. Even before Ukraine happened, like most countries we were suffering supply chain problems, inflation, rising fuel and energy prices so I am not sure how they come to the conclusions.

Wellingborugh

The arithmetic the OP - and all Tories - just refuse to do."

. The highest growth of any G7 major economies. There is nothing to complain about.

» Add a new message to this topic