FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Ukraine v Afghanistan

Ukraine v Afghanistan

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *inCity Blues OP   Man  over a year ago

London

I don't know about you, but I have found the defiance of the Ukrainian people awe-inspiring.

They are facing a superpower with one of the world's most formidable military machines, yet they refuse to be bowed. Their president - a former TV actor FFS - is inspiring the world with his actions and rhetoric.

They are up against aerial bombardment, helicopters, missiles and artillery, and they are fighting back, and inflicting casualties. Civilians could be facing tanks, and they are preparing petrol bombs.

Ukrainian men kiss their women and children goodbye at the border, and return to their cities to take up arms against the invader. An incredible, moving and hugely humbling sight.

Contrast this with Afghanistan. The president, instead of standing defiant, inspiring and rallying his people, at the first sign of the enemy, stole as much money as he could from the country's treasury - tens of millions of dollars, apparently - and made sure he was on the first flight out, fleeing the country in a cash-stuffed helicopter.

The Afghan Army - trained and equipped at a cost of 83 billion dollars - vastly outnumbered the Taliban, and were far better equipped, yet threw up their arms and surrendered that equipment and weapons, not to the forces of a global superpower, but to a bunch of fucking goat herders with AK-47s.

Afghan "men" push the women and children out of the way in their efforts to get out of the country (notice how the genuine refugees feeling from Ukraine are mostly women, children and old people, whereas the "refugees" turning up at Calais and in the Dover Dinghies are nearly always young men.)

Genuine refugees fleeing war vs economic migrants just looking for a better life.

Surely this experience proves that the West's ventures into the Third World just aren't worth it. Their leaders are corrupt thieves, bullies and cowards, their peoples have no sense of national pride or loyalty, their identities and loyalties being based on ethnic and religious lines and tribal affiliation, rather than any national solidarity.

The trillions of dollars that the West pissed up the wall in Iraq and Afghanistan could have been spent building up our own and our allies' defences against Russian and China (think what the Ukrainians could do with 83 billion dollars worth of equipment!)

And that's not counting the most tragic waste of all, the thousands of young men and women who gave their lives fighting for people who, in the end, were not willing to fight for themselves.

What a tragedy.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I don't know about you, but I have found the defiance of the Ukrainian people awe-inspiring.

They are facing a superpower with one of the world's most formidable military machines, yet they refuse to be bowed. Their president - a former TV actor FFS - is inspiring the world with his actions and rhetoric.

They are up against aerial bombardment, helicopters, missiles and artillery, and they are fighting back, and inflicting casualties. Civilians could be facing tanks, and they are preparing petrol bombs.

Ukrainian men kiss their women and children goodbye at the border, and return to their cities to take up arms against the invader. An incredible, moving and hugely humbling sight.

Contrast this with Afghanistan. The president, instead of standing defiant, inspiring and rallying his people, at the first sign of the enemy, stole as much money as he could from the country's treasury - tens of millions of dollars, apparently - and made sure he was on the first flight out, fleeing the country in a cash-stuffed helicopter.

The Afghan Army - trained and equipped at a cost of 83 billion dollars - vastly outnumbered the Taliban, and were far better equipped, yet threw up their arms and surrendered that equipment and weapons, not to the forces of a global superpower, but to a bunch of fucking goat herders with AK-47s.

Afghan "men" push the women and children out of the way in their efforts to get out of the country (notice how the genuine refugees feeling from Ukraine are mostly women, children and old people, whereas the "refugees" turning up at Calais and in the Dover Dinghies are nearly always young men.)

Genuine refugees fleeing war vs economic migrants just looking for a better life.

Surely this experience proves that the West's ventures into the Third World just aren't worth it. Their leaders are corrupt thieves, bullies and cowards, their peoples have no sense of national pride or loyalty, their identities and loyalties being based on ethnic and religious lines and tribal affiliation, rather than any national solidarity.

The trillions of dollars that the West pissed up the wall in Iraq and Afghanistan could have been spent building up our own and our allies' defences against Russian and China (think what the Ukrainians could do with 83 billion dollars worth of equipment!)

And that's not counting the most tragic waste of all, the thousands of young men and women who gave their lives fighting for people who, in the end, were not willing to fight for themselves.

What a tragedy."

Where did you copy and paste this from?

By *inCity Blues OP   Man  over a year ago

London

"Where did you copy and paste this from? "

I wrote it myself, it's my view. Cut and paste a paragraph and do a Google search. Some ppl on here can write, instead of just posting childish one-line replies.

"Where did you copy and paste this from?

I wrote it myself, it's my view. Cut and paste a paragraph and do a Google search. Some ppl on here can write, instead of just posting childish one-line replies. "

I see, and why do you feel the need to compare Ukraine with Afghanistan ?

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

I wrote it myself, it's my view. Cut and paste a paragraph and do a Google search. Some ppl on here can write, instead of just posting childish one-line replies. "

I believe you wrote it yourself and I agree with a lot of it.

This is one of your paragraphs:

"They are facing a superpower with one of the world's most formidable military machines, yet they refuse to be bowed."

Like it, or not - and I'd guess not, from the rest of what you've written - your words can also be used to describe the Afghan people, too.

The Taliban certainly aren't the good guys but the might of the USA and its many allies - plus, as you rightly point out, all that money spent over 20 years - didn't defeat them.

Maybe starving their women and children to death by denying them a functioning economy might make them see that we were right, all along, to invade their country - but I doubt it.

The Ukrainians aren't the only people who have fought hard for their country - and whilst I'd agree with you that they're setting a far better example than the previous Afghan government did, they're not a special case, just because they're European.

I'd also agree that getting involved, militarily, in other countries - wherever they are - is a massive waste of time, money and (as you say) human life.

Sadly, Vietnam taught the USA fuck all - and Afghanistan taught the Soviet Union / Russia fuck all.

Btw, climate change - that's still a thing.

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

I wrote it myself, it's my view. Cut and paste a paragraph and do a Google search. Some ppl on here can write, instead of just posting childish one-line replies.

"They are facing a superpower with one of the world's most formidable military machines, yet they refuse to be bowed."

Like it, or not - and I'd guess not, from the rest of what you've written - your words can also be used to describe the Afghan people, too.

The Taliban certainly aren't the good guys but the might of the USA and its many allies - plus, as you rightly point out, all that money spent over 20 years - didn't defeat them.

Maybe starving their women and children to death by denying them a functioning economy might make them see that we were right, all along, to invade their country - but I doubt it.

The Ukrainians aren't the only people who have fought hard for their country - and whilst I'd agree with you that they're setting a far better example than the previous Afghan government did, they're not a special case, just because they're European.

I'd also agree that getting involved, militarily, in other countries - wherever they are - is a massive waste of time, money and (as you say) human life.

Sadly, Vietnam taught the USA fuck all - and Afghanistan taught the Soviet Union / Russia fuck all.

Btw, climate change - that's still a thing."

Yes you are right.

All those Russian missiles and bombs can't be helping "Net Zero"

And just think how much diesel a tank drinks.

"I don't know about you, but I have found the defiance of the Ukrainian people awe-inspiring.

What a tragedy."

Main problem was the taliban are afghans too, so issues with killing own countrymen, especially for a puppet government with Western foreign ideology

Afghanistan was a civil war not a invasion by a foreign power. The invaders were the U.S, so your comparing apples and oranges.

Yes you are right.

And just think how much diesel a tank drinks. "

Gretta is on the front line with some banners..'stop stealing my thunder '

and...'my apocalypse is bigger than yours'

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Didn't Rambo sort out Afghanistan?

If it’s football then 3-3 at full time

By *ustintime69Man  over a year ago

Bristol

Read “the politics of geography” and you’ll maybe get an idea of why these places are best avoided. Military adventurism and Political posturing is centuries old, it just wears a different badge to suit the circumstance

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

Yes you are right.

And just think how much diesel a tank drinks.

Gretta is on the front line with some banners..'stop stealing my thunder '

and...'my apocalypse is bigger than yours'

"

LOL Love it.

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

What a tragedy."

Well that argument turned pretty racist, pretty quick!

Understand the waste of money, but this who deserved to be saved and not be saved based on ethnicity, its quite lame.

gotta understand people don't want to die, from what I saw it wasn't Just Ukrainian women and children there were Men also, in the same respect there are Afghani women and Children that are also refugees with the men.

I accept patriotic duty for many, can't deny it, rather be defending our country than running away from it. But it's human nature to move away from Danger.

But I guess its all about Optics, people also want to see what they want to see, classic example, if your have a ford mondeo car, you will always see ford mondeo's, and will always be on the lookout for ford mondeo's, and then you would be thinking why are there are so many ford mondeo's? That's psychology.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

"

Main problem was the taliban are afghans too, so issues with killing own countrymen, especially for a puppet government with Western foreign ideology "

that, and the fact that they handed the russians their own arses

Gloucestershire

"

Main problem was the taliban are afghans too, so issues with killing own countrymen, especially for a puppet government with Western foreign ideology

that, and the fact that they handed the russians their own arses"

So in some weird way, Afghanistan could be considered as a prime example of Resistance against a superior force? Same with Vietnam, superior force, US got the same. Israel same thing against superior Arab forces, we Brits got our ass handed to us by the USA. Same with the Soviets (which I may add Ukrainians partisan resistance handed the Nazi's their ass) and Germany in WW2.

David vs. Goliath is not uncommon. What I don't understand with all these examples from History, why the hell did Pootin think he had chance?

Slava Ukraini!

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

Yes you are right.

And just think how much diesel a tank drinks. "

The smashed up Air Conditioners are are concerning.. 1kg of the liquid in each is the equivalent of 4000kg CO2 Global Warming Effect and stays in the atmosphere for over 100 years increasing the trapped heat.

There is nearly a 3/4kg in each unit you see broken up.

Every house or apartment has an outside unit on it..

By *ovegames42Man  over a year ago

london

"Didn't Rambo sort out Afghanistan?"

LoL

By *x cplCouple  over a year ago

North of Oxford

There are many major differences between the conflicts that occurred in Afghanistan and what is now occurring in Ukraine. The two biggest are terrain and the fact that combatants in Ukraine wear uniforms, when only one side did in Afghanistan. In Afghanistan the only way to tell taliban from local was a gun most of the time. The Ukrainian army has also received training from Western countries to bring it up to modern standards. Most of the Russian forces are poorly trained and lead conscripts. Add a 3rd point ukraine has spent (funded a lot by the USA and Europe) on modernisation and maintainance of its equipment after Russia annexed the crimea whilst Russia has poured money in R and D to develop thier new aircraft and tanks which Luckily they haven't hit the battlefield yet. Russian military doctrine hasn't changed much since early soviet times, surround an objective and then use artillery to beat it into Submission. Seen in WW2, Budapest and other risings during soviet occupation. Last seen in Chechnya and syria let us hope that Ukraine cities don't soon resemble those.

By *itzi999Woman  over a year ago

Slough

What a tragedy."

The Afghan army rolled over and submitted to the Taliban pitiful!!!!

What a tragedy.

Understand the waste of money, but this who deserved to be saved and not be saved based on ethnicity, its quite lame.

gotta understand people don't want to die, from what I saw it wasn't Just Ukrainian women and children there were Men also, in the same respect there are Afghani women and Children that are also refugees with the men.

I accept patriotic duty for many, can't deny it, rather be defending our country than running away from it. But it's human nature to move away from Danger.

But I guess its all about Optics, people also want to see what they want to see, classic example, if your have a ford mondeo car, you will always see ford mondeo's, and will always be on the lookout for ford mondeo's, and then you would be thinking why are there are so many ford mondeo's? That's psychology.

"

Who is this “ford mondeo” chap and what car does he drive?

Gloucestershire

What a tragedy.

Who is this “ford mondeo” chap and what car does he drive? "

Psychology in action, point proven.

By *oAnCouple  over a year ago

Wandsworth

Afghanistan’s citizens have been fighting a war for many more years than us in Ukraine, also many men here in the UK have NOT gone back to fight. It is the law to go and fight in Ukraine and men are physically taken away from families at the border to go and fight. But as I said this is a new war whereas the Afghanistan people have fought wars since Alexander the Great, through the British, Soviet Union, and the UK/US-NATO coalition. – Anastasia

What a tragedy.

Main problem was the taliban are afghans too, so issues with killing own countrymen, especially for a puppet government with Western foreign ideology "

Taliban is full of Mercenaries from other nations

By *ancy38Woman  over a year ago

galway

"

What a tragedy."

This was planned to keep going thst long and that amount spent. Profit and making people rich is what matters.

» Add a new message to this topic