FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > We simply can't stop importing Russian gas n oil

We simply can't stop importing Russian gas n oil

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Okay Boris.

That's my central heating turned off for the time being.

Not even a pilot light.

Hope that helps

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

all around

[Removed by poster at 08/03/22 16:32:05]

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

all around

What might happen is that china will do a deal to buy more of their oil at a lower cost from Russia so we will replace our Russian oil with the stuff china isn't buying from Saudi and it will all be rosy

Might take a few weeks for them to figure this out though.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

Britain can Europe cant and wont even though the millions they are sending russia every day is funding he war machine.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Well the Russians have threatened to cut off gas supplies to Europe so its only a matter of time before this war escalates

near ipswich

Well thats a start Britain will phase out Russian imports of oil and oil products by the end of 2022, business minister Kwasi Kwarteng said on Tuesday, calling on businesses to use the transition period to ensure a smooth transition.

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

"Well thats a start Britain will phase out Russian imports of oil and oil products by the end of 2022, business minister Kwasi Kwarteng said on Tuesday, calling on businesses to use the transition period to ensure a smooth transition."

A smooth transition?

Given how many small businesses barely survived the pandemic - how many do you think will survive the next six months, the next year?

A combination of energy prices and a steep drop of disposable income from customers are going to make a transition alright.

But it won't be smooth. That's just wishful thinking - as usual - from our overpromising and underdelivering government.

Maybe they could use the windfall from higher oil prices to get all the shopkeepers and plumbers through another disaster?

near ipswich

"Well thats a start Britain will phase out Russian imports of oil and oil products by the end of 2022, business minister Kwasi Kwarteng said on Tuesday, calling on businesses to use the transition period to ensure a smooth transition.

A smooth transition?

Given how many small businesses barely survived the pandemic - how many do you think will survive the next six months, the next year?

A combination of energy prices and a steep drop of disposable income from customers are going to make a transition alright.

But it won't be smooth. That's just wishful thinking - as usual - from our overpromising and underdelivering government.

Maybe they could use the windfall from higher oil prices to get all the shopkeepers and plumbers through another disaster?"

so what keep importing Russian oil??????????

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

"Well thats a start Britain will phase out Russian imports of oil and oil products by the end of 2022, business minister Kwasi Kwarteng said on Tuesday, calling on businesses to use the transition period to ensure a smooth transition."

If I'm reading it correctly it looks like America have gone for a ban immediately

near ipswich

"Well thats a start Britain will phase out Russian imports of oil and oil products by the end of 2022, business minister Kwasi Kwarteng said on Tuesday, calling on businesses to use the transition period to ensure a smooth transition.

If I'm reading it correctly it looks like America have gone for a ban immediately"

It seems so, i wonder how long before they lift the sanctions on Venezuela? they have a similar grade of oil that is needed to keep the refineries in the gulf going.

By *ighty_tightyMan  over a year ago

Norfolk/Suffolk

If I'm reading it correctly it looks like America have gone for a ban immediately"

Did I read the US only import about 10% from Russia and have already approached the Saudis to cover it

milton keynes

If I'm reading it correctly it looks like America have gone for a ban immediately

Did I read the US only import about 10% from Russia and have already approached the Saudis to cover it"

That sounds about right. The UK import even less than that from Russia at 8%. It all helps bit by bit and I would think 10% of American consumption is quite alot

near ipswich

Did I read the US only import about 10% from Russia and have already approached the Saudis to cover it

That sounds about right. The UK import even less than that from Russia at 8%. It all helps bit by bit and I would think 10% of American consumption is quite alot"

Nothing like the consumption from Europe i have no idea how they are going to wean themselves off Russian oil and gas although some are much more exposed than others. Merkel fucked Germany by not going nuclear and relying on her ties with Putin they will probably suffer the most.

"Okay Boris.

Not even a pilot light.

Hope that helps"

If all the oil producing countries around the world joined forces we could stop Putin in his tracks.

Ayr

A smooth transition?

Maybe they could use the windfall from higher oil prices to get all the shopkeepers and plumbers through another disaster? so what keep importing Russian oil??????????"

As always - not answering the question you were asked. I'm fine with not importing Russian oil.

What are the consequences going to be for small businesses?

Do you think there won't be any - because the transition will be so smooth?

Ayr

If I'm reading it correctly it looks like America have gone for a ban immediatelyIt seems so, i wonder how long before they lift the sanctions on Venezuela? they have a similar grade of oil that is needed to keep the refineries in the gulf going. "

Even if sanctions are lifted on Venezuela, why would they help the West out?

Norfolk/Suffolk

That sounds about right. The UK import even less than that from Russia at 8%. It all helps bit by bit and I would think 10% of American consumption is quite alot"

If we only import 8% I'm assuming it's just because it's a specific type of crude? Surely we will just consume more of our own rather than export it?

milton keynes

That sounds about right. The UK import even less than that from Russia at 8%. It all helps bit by bit and I would think 10% of American consumption is quite alot

If we only import 8% I'm assuming it's just because it's a specific type of crude? Surely we will just consume more of our own rather than export it?"

I don't know for sure but do not think the Russians oil is any different from our own or elsewhere. I think we consume far more than we produce so import the balance from several world locations including Russia. I'm assuming that between now and the end of the year the people involved will be sourcing more from non Russian suppliers to make up for that 8%. I read that the government may be looking at more oil exploration in the north sea to increase our own production

Norfolk/Suffolk

If we only import 8% I'm assuming it's just because it's a specific type of crude? Surely we will just consume more of our own rather than export it?

I don't know for sure but do not think the Russians oil is any different from our own or elsewhere. I think we consume far more than we produce so import the balance from several world locations including Russia. I'm assuming that between now and the end of the year the people involved will be sourcing more from non Russian suppliers to make up for that 8%. I read that the government may be looking at more oil exploration in the north sea to increase our own production"

We export more than we use.

According to gov.uk, the Russian oil is primarily for diesel.

Exploration in the North Sea suits me, will keep me in a job lol

near ipswich

A smooth transition?

Maybe they could use the windfall from higher oil prices to get all the shopkeepers and plumbers through another disaster? so what keep importing Russian oil??????????

As always - not answering the question you were asked. I'm fine with not importing Russian oil.

What are the consequences going to be for small businesses?

Do you think there won't be any - because the transition will be so smooth?"

What small businesses are importing Russian oil?

near ipswich

If I'm reading it correctly it looks like America have gone for a ban immediatelyIt seems so, i wonder how long before they lift the sanctions on Venezuela? they have a similar grade of oil that is needed to keep the refineries in the gulf going.

Even if sanctions are lifted on Venezuela, why would they help the West out?"

Have you seen the state of venezuela since the Usa put sanctions on them? they would love to be able to sell crude to the USA again the place is a shithole now.

By *ellhungvweMan  over a year ago

Cheltenham

"

I don't know for sure but do not think the Russians oil is any different from our own or elsewhere. I think we consume far more than we produce so import the balance from several world locations including Russia. I'm assuming that between now and the end of the year the people involved will be sourcing more from non Russian suppliers to make up for that 8%. I read that the government may be looking at more oil exploration in the north sea to increase our own production"

Oil is VERY different depending on where it comes from and those differences mean it has different uses and value.

It has varying amounts of sulphur and different gravity (basically how dense it is). Different combinations mean that you use different oils for different things. It impacts how the refinery works and how much processing is needed.

A lot of commodities are like this - depending on the type of wheat you can use some for high quality bread and others would barely be usable for animal feed.

near ipswich

"

I don't know for sure but do not think the Russians oil is any different from our own or elsewhere. I think we consume far more than we produce so import the balance from several world locations including Russia. I'm assuming that between now and the end of the year the people involved will be sourcing more from non Russian suppliers to make up for that 8%. I read that the government may be looking at more oil exploration in the north sea to increase our own production

Oil is VERY different depending on where it comes from and those differences mean it has different uses and value.

It has varying amounts of sulphur and different gravity (basically how dense it is). Different combinations mean that you use different oils for different things. It impacts how the refinery works and how much processing is needed.

A lot of commodities are like this - depending on the type of wheat you can use some for high quality bread and others would barely be usable for animal feed. "

Exactly you cant just refine any old oil the refineries are geared up for particular ones.

near ipswich

Well it seems Venezuela and the Usa were in talks about lifting sanctions at the weekend a win win they get to sell oil again and the usa get them to break their ties with russia.

Venezuela's oil production has plummeted over the last two decades, down from roughly 3 million barrels per day in 2002 to fewer than 800,000 barrels per day at the start of this year, according to OPEC. Even so, the country's crude exports could offset the fallout from a possible oil embargo against Russia. The South American country is also Russian President Vladimir Putin's strongest ally in the Western Hemisphere.

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

So I read somewhere that Biden wanted to speak to Saudi and the Gulf States about upping output to offset Russia being sanctioned. Apparently they didn’t speak to him choosing to speak to Putin/Russia instead!

milton keynes

Exploration in the North Sea suits me, will keep me in a job lol"

I never knew we were self sufficient in oil, every day a school day I guess

Its not an if its a when every second we delay would make the crash worse

Russia will push us to a complete boycott soon better to do it now so we can weather the storm

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

I never knew we were self sufficient in oil, every day a school day I guess"

Well we could have been or at least established a sovereign wealth fund like Norway buuuut...Thatcher and the Tories and something about free market economics (and enriching shareholders instead of citizens/the state).

milton keynes

Well we could have been or at least established a sovereign wealth fund like Norway buuuut...Thatcher and the Tories and something about free market economics (and enriching shareholders instead of citizens/the state)."

The other poster said we export more than we use. I assume they mean present day so take that as not reliant on other countries. I agree about the wealth fund. Not sure why Labour did not opt for doing it either during their time in office

Norfolk/Suffolk

Well we could have been or at least established a sovereign wealth fund like Norway buuuut...Thatcher and the Tories and something about free market economics (and enriching shareholders instead of citizens/the state).

The other poster said we export more than we use. I assume they mean present day so take that as not reliant on other countries. I agree about the wealth fund. Not sure why Labour did not opt for doing it either during their time in office"

Labour couldn't. Once everything was sold off it's a bit too late to reign it all back in again.

We wouldn't have been as prosperous as Norway. They have more reserves than us and a lower population. It still would have benefitted though.

milton keynes

The other poster said we export more than we use. I assume they mean present day so take that as not reliant on other countries. I agree about the wealth fund. Not sure why Labour did not opt for doing it either during their time in office

Labour couldn't. Once everything was sold off it's a bit too late to reign it all back in again.

We wouldn't have been as prosperous as Norway. They have more reserves than us and a lower population. It still would have benefitted though."

So I take it then that's the reason why all governments since Labour did not do it either

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

"Okay Boris.

Not even a pilot light.

Hope that helps"

Don't think we're going to have that choice as I think it's going to be made for us.

A few weeks ago, I was accused of over reaction, paranoia, prepping,

hysteria and many others.

Now that the War I said was coming has started that many denied, the US has already banned oil imports, Russia have threatened (and they will) shut off our gas supply via Europe in retaliation. Although we don't buy direct (pay attention to that term - DIRECT). We do buy gas from Europe who in turn buy cheap from Russia to sell to us.

We use that gas for heat, chemical processes and stupidly, to generate electricity - lots of electricity.

If the EU looses Russian supply, we are directly affected in that electricity will be rationed (we no longer have coal fired power stations - they blew them all up). Gas will be restricted, first by winding down industrial use - unless its needed for the 'war effort'.

It's time for everyone to WAKE UP, this is real and will affect us here in the UK.

https://m.fabswingers.com/forum/politics/1277367#message_30922359

Longridge

Search "Tony Blair energy security speach 2006" and see what a 16 year failure they've allowed.

Energy Security - a great hollow sound bite ALL parties have failed on.

By *mateur100Man  over a year ago

nr faversham

"Okay Boris.

Not even a pilot light.

Hope that helps

Don't think we're going to have that choice as I think it's going to be made for us.

A few weeks ago, I was accused of over reaction, paranoia, prepping,

hysteria and many others.

Now that the War I said was coming has started that many denied, the US has already banned oil imports, Russia have threatened (and they will) shut off our gas supply via Europe in retaliation. Although we don't buy direct (pay attention to that term - DIRECT). We do buy gas from Europe who in turn buy cheap from Russia to sell to us.

We use that gas for heat, chemical processes and stupidly, to generate electricity - lots of electricity.

If the EU looses Russian supply, we are directly affected in that electricity will be rationed (we no longer have coal fired power stations - they blew them all up). Gas will be restricted, first by winding down industrial use - unless its needed for the 'war effort'.

It's time for everyone to WAKE UP, this is real and will affect us here in the UK.

https://m.fabswingers.com/forum/politics/1277367#message_30922359

"

What are you suggesting?

Longridge

[Removed by poster at 11/03/22 03:28:40]

Longridge

Did you not read it?

Easy to read version.. one day the fecking gas is going to be turned off which in turn reduces our ability to generate electricity as Germany sacked off thier Nuclear plants and we sacked off our coal plants, so burning shit loads of cheapo Russian gas, with no proper planning for:

Energy Security if it ever got switched off.

By *6travellerMan  over a year ago

Tayside and Midlands

At only 3percent of UK oil from Russia and 8 percent gas - YES WE CAN!

Norfolk/Suffolk

"At only 3percent of UK oil from Russia and 8 percent gas - YES WE CAN!"

Other way round. 8% oil.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

"At only 3percent of UK oil from Russia and 8 percent gas - YES WE CAN!

Other way round. 8% oil."

Would be easy to make that up via renewables. If only the government wasn't in the pocket of the fossil fuels industry.

By *arakiss12TV/TS  over a year ago

Bedford

Isn't there a 12 year old around n the west who can hack their nuclear capabilities and fuck them up.

We don't buy oil or gas from a host of countries and they are not waging war on us.

Putin can claim all sorts but the reality is if the world doesn't like him he's fucked and he's most definitely fucked.

By *uddy laneMan  over a year ago

dudley

"At only 3percent of UK oil from Russia and 8 percent gas - YES WE CAN!

Other way round. 8% oil.

Would be easy to make that up via renewables. If only the government wasn't in the pocket of the fossil fuels industry."

97 % home made british gas sold to energy companies who sell it at Russian gas prices for the 3% deficit we have.

It would be the same for fracked gas sold to energy companies.

By *d4ugirlsMan  over a year ago

Green Cove Springs

"So I read somewhere that Biden wanted to speak to Saudi and the Gulf States about upping output to offset Russia being sanctioned. Apparently they didn’t speak to him choosing to speak to Putin/Russia instead!"

Yep, Saudis are treating him like the little idiot he is.

Sad state of affairs with him and the tag along idiot kamala at the helm for the US

By *aster Andy and subslutCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

If someone tells you that the U.S. is naive...

"Most fascinating thing about the Ukraine war is the sheer number of top strategic thinkers who warned for years that it was coming if we continued down the same path.

No-one listened to them and here we are."

Small compilation ?? of these warnings, from Kissinger to Mearsheimer by @RnaudBertrand*

1. George Kennan, America's foreign policy strategist, the architect of the U.S. cold war strategy. As early as 1998 he warned that NATO expansion was a "tragic mistake" that ought to ultimately provoke a "bad reaction from Russia".

2. Kissinger, in 2014. He warned that "to Russia, Ukraine can never be just a foreign country" and that the West therefore needs a policy that is aimed at "reconciliation". He was also adamant that "Ukraine should not join NATO"

3. John Mearsheimer - Arguably the leading geopolitical scholar in the US today said in 2015: "The West is leading Ukraine down the primrose path and the end result is that Ukraine is going to get wrecked [...] What we're doing is in fact encouraging that outcome."

4. Jack F. Matlock Jr., US Ambassador to the Soviet Union from 1987-1991, warning in 1997 that NATO expansion was "the most profound strategic blunder, [encouraging] a chain of events that could produce the most serious security threat [...] since the Soviet Union collapsed."

5. Clinton's defense secretary William Perry explained, in his memoir, that to him NATO enlargement is the cause of "the rupture in relations with Russia" and that in 1996 he was so opposed to it that "in the strength of my conviction, I considered resigning."

6. Stephen Cohen, a famed scholar of Russian studies, warning in 2014 that "if we move NATO forces toward Russia's borders [...] it's obviously gonna militarize the situation [and] Russia will not back off, this is existential"

7. CIA director Bill Burns* in 2008: "Ukrainian entry into NATO is the brightest of all redlines for [Russia]" and "I have yet to find anyone who views Ukraine in NATO as anything other than a direct challenge to Russian interests". (He was then Ambassador to Moscow in 2008 when he wrote this memo). He is now director of the CIA. ‘08 memo ‘Nyet Means Nyet: Russia's NATO Enlargement Redlines’

8. Russian-American journalist Vladimir Pozner, in 2018, stated that: NATO expansion in Ukraine is unacceptable to the Russian, that there has to be a compromise where "Ukraine, guaranteed, will not become a member of NATO."

9. Malcolm Fraser, 22nd prime minister of Australia, warned in 2014 that "the move east [by NATO is] provocative, unwise and a very clear signal to Russia". He adds that this leads to a "difficult and extraordinarily dangerous problem".

10. Paul Keating, former Australian PM, in 1997: expanding NATO is "an error which may rank in the end with the strategic miscalculations which prevented Germany from taking its full place in the international system [in early 20th]"

11. Former US defense secretary Bob Gates in his 2015 memoirs: "Moving so quickly [to expand NATO] was a mistake. [...] Trying to bring Georgia and Ukraine into NATO was truly overreaching [and] an especially monumental provocation"

12. Pat Buchanan, in his 1999 book A Republic, Not an Empire: "By moving NATO onto Russia's front porch, we have scheduled a twenty-first-century confrontation."

13. In 1997, a group of individuals including Robert McNamara, Bill Bradley & Gary Hart wrote a letter to Bill Clinton warning the "US led effort to expand NATO is a policy error of historic proportions" and would "foster instability" in Europe. Today it's fringe, traitorous position.

14. Pat Buchanan, in his 1999 book A Republic, Not an Empire: "By moving NATO onto Russia's front porch, we have scheduled a twenty-first-century confrontation."

15. Dmitriy Trenin expressed concern that Ukraine was, in the LT, the most potentially destabilizing factor in US-Russian relations, given the level of emotion & neuralgia triggered by its quest for NATO membership.

16. Sir Roderic Lyne, former British ambassador to Russia, warned a year ago that "[pushing] Ukraine into NATO [...] is stupid on every level." He adds "if you want to start a war with Russia, that's the best way of doing it."

By *d4ugirlsMan  over a year ago

Green Cove Springs

https://fortune.com/2022/03/09/biden-saudi-arabia-venezuela-oil-energy-prices-russia-ukraine/

Little joey, has plenty of oil he can tap from the US, and Canada.

Having a corrupt president with ties to Ukraine corruption is not helping the US or Europe through this crisis

https://nypost.com/2021/05/26/hunter-bidens-ukraine-salary-was-cut-after-joe-biden-left-office/

By *aster Andy and subslutCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

America is upto its neck Russia brought proof of biological labs in Ukraine now the oval office are trying to cover these labs up

Norfolk/Suffolk

"America is upto its neck Russia brought proof of biological labs in Ukraine now the oval office are trying to cover these labs up "

Crikey, there's some crackpots on here

Longridge

"At only 3percent of UK oil from Russia and 8 percent gas - YES WE CAN!"

18% of our refined diesel is from Russia, although 3 to 5% of gas is shipped directly to us as LNG from Russia.

Europe buys gas from Russia via Ukrainian, Nordstream 1 and other pipelines and sells to us via pioelines.. Other countries then supply us LNG which is at risk of being sold to the highest bidder.

Don't be led the lie that we are not reliant on Russian gas or oil. We are, and a lot of it is used for electricity generation.

Government are about to run another push on Heat Pumps, which in turn will create a higher demand for electricity, especially on cold days where Heat Pump COP falls off below the point, that it's actually cheaper to switch on resistive heaters.

The BBC were claiming we should be driving at 55mph to conserve fuel. Thus was true in the 80s when cars had 4 ot 5 speed gearboxes. Have you tried driving a 6 speed high pressure diesel at 55mph. Engine is labouring, dual torque flywheel and gearbox is getting hammered and 65mph is the the speed they'll cruise at.

Although the sentiment is right, the speeds stated are out dated for newer vehicles.

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

"America is upto its neck Russia brought proof of biological labs in Ukraine now the oval office are trying to cover these labs up "

What are you taking about

There is no proof that Ukraine and the USA were developing biological weapons.

There are however old soviet state labs that are leftovers from the old USSR days but you don’t expect Russia to add that but do you ?

Stop reading what’s on twatter or facecloth

» Add a new message to this topic