FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > would you or would you not?

would you or would you not?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *lder A Wiser Passion OP   Woman  over a year ago

morecambe

With the cost of living going up to all time high not seen since the 70s

Now would you sell you soul to the devil to get oil from countrys with low human right records

Or what you not

Would you buy oil from only countrys that have good human rights but pay a higher price at the cashier desk in the suppermaket

I open this see what folk have to say

But I think that most on here we say like i do how can you buy oil from those nations that abuse their people

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *r SproutMan  over a year ago

the middle somewhere

I buy my oil from Tesco.

It’s gone up a few pence but I can’t justify selling my soul to the devil for it…. Just yet

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Mine is electric but where does the electricity come from to charge it?

Most oil producing nations have a poor human rights record. In this country, we don't pay for it at the forecourts. It's mostly through the other products we buy that are derived from oil. Plastic, bottles, energy, etc.

I would say I would try to cut back on buying these products instead of creating the demand that drives their prices higher and damages the environment. Like Covid lockdowns, this oil-shock may force us into life-changing habits

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

The only good thing that seems might be coming out of our government being reduced to buying oil from absolutely anybody - looks like Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe is going to be released by the Iranians. The uk is so desperate for oil that the government have gone begging to Iran and paid off the £400 million debt to them that they have been withholding for years. Nazanin has now had her passport returned and it is hoped she will shortly be able to leave the country.

It is shocking that our government have allowed uk citizens to be held hostage to this debt for years, maintaining that it was absolutely impossible to pay the money because of usa sanctions on Iran. Then the minute that the uk runs a bit short of oil, miraculously the debt can in fact be paid!

Next week when Johnson claims to be a hero for negotiating Nazanin's release, just remember that he is the one that has actually left her imprisoned for years. It seems that a few buckets full of crude oil is worth more to the tories than the lives of uk citizens.

"The only good thing that seems might be coming out of our government being reduced to buying oil from absolutely anybody - looks like Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe is going to be released by the Iranians. The uk is so desperate for oil that the government have gone begging to Iran and paid off the £400 million debt to them that they have been withholding for years. Nazanin has now had her passport returned and it is hoped she will shortly be able to leave the country.

It is shocking that our government have allowed uk citizens to be held hostage to this debt for years, maintaining that it was absolutely impossible to pay the money because of usa sanctions on Iran. Then the minute that the uk runs a bit short of oil, miraculously the debt can in fact be paid!

Next week when Johnson claims to be a hero for negotiating Nazanin's release, just remember that he is the one that has actually left her imprisoned for years. It seems that a few buckets full of crude oil is worth more to the tories than the lives of uk citizens."

Would you prefer we were held ransom to these other governments who imprison our citizens to force our hand? The sanctions were in place and the debt 'not paid' in part for the reason of poor human rights there. Now, it's which is the lesser evil we must choose. The one that has aggressively invaded another country or the one that has kept the poor record within their own borders and ki dnaps foreigners on trumped up changes to try and get their way?

"With the cost of living going up to all time high not seen since the 70s

Now would you sell you soul to the devil to get oil from countrys with low human right records

Or what you not

Would you buy oil from only countrys that have good human rights but pay a higher price at the cashier desk in the suppermaket

But I think that most on here we say like i do how can you buy oil from those nations that abuse their people "

The World can be evil place .

I believe we shouldn’t personally I believe we shouldn’t do deals with tyrants.Also its the americans alliance not ours why should we have to drag ourselves down.

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

Which countries have the most ethically produced oil and which the worst ?

I’d sell my soul to the highest bidder.

Fuel is fuel.

Also, you can’t pick and choose when to apply this logic.

What about other products aside from oil that come from countries with human rights violations?

Even Nike had sweat shops.

My heating has gone up 60%

Take my soul, leave my money.

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan  over a year ago

Aylesbury

Ideally we need to end our addiction to fossil fuels, but reality dictates otherwise unfortunately.

It's not just oil. Vast amounts of stuff on Amazon comes from China, which is as bad as any Gulf state on human rights. Even "western" countries such as the US, Poland, Hungary have issues with women's and LGBT rights. You'd struggle to get by without sourcing from the dodgier countries.

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

"

Fuel is fuel.

Also, you can’t pick and choose when to apply this logic.

What about other products aside from oil that come from countries with human rights violations?

Even Nike had sweat shops."

This

By *hoirCouple  over a year ago

Bury St Edmunds/Clacton

"Mine is electric but where does the electricity come from to charge it?

Most oil producing nations have a poor human rights record. In this country, we don't pay for it at the forecourts. It's mostly through the other products we buy that are derived from oil. Plastic, bottles, energy, etc.

I would say I would try to cut back on buying these products instead of creating the demand that drives their prices higher and damages the environment. Like Covid lockdowns, this oil-shock may force us into life-changing habits"

Wait until you find about the mines and the labour used for those batteries.

C

I guess that personal wealth must come into this.

It is much easier to buy goods from sources which do not impinge on human rights if you can afford to do so.

By *otMe66Man  over a year ago

Terra Firma

Great question!

If we have morals that outweigh our human needs then the government can stop the negotiation right now.

Morals on the left and needs on the right please, who will win?

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

"It's not just oil. Vast amounts of stuff on Amazon comes from China, which is as bad as any Gulf state on human rights. Even "western" countries such as the US, Poland, Hungary have issues with women's and LGBT rights. You'd struggle to get by without sourcing from the dodgier countries."

That's a very good point. How can it be ok to buy billions of pounds of goods from places like China but not ok to buy oil from the Saudi's. Also why is it all of a sudden a problem. We have been buying fuel from Russia for years (not as much as some countries) so why was that not a problem pre war

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Our over reliance on fossil fuels was not out of choice. Powerful interest groups made sure that technologies which would wean us off gas, coal and oil were prevented to develop properly. All in the name of profit.

Even at the precipice of major global climate change, we still need it.

Those who are calling for fracking or returning to coal, or even more oil and gas exploration, to ensure energy independence, you’re just swapping one group of people who control us to another group.

Real independence comes from renewables such as solar, wind, tidal, hydroelectric.

Why pay for something that will invariably run out, when you Harness something which will never run out in our lifetime or later generations?

By *oubleswing2019Man  over a year ago

Colchester

"Our over reliance on fossil fuels was not out of choice. Powerful interest groups made sure that technologies which would wean us off gas, coal and oil were prevented to develop properly. All in the name of profit.

Even at the precipice of major global climate change, we still need it.

Those who are calling for fracking or returning to coal, or even more oil and gas exploration, to ensure energy independence, you’re just swapping one group of people who control us to another group.

Real independence comes from renewables such as solar, wind, tidal, hydroelectric.

Why pay for something that will invariably run out, when you Harness something which will never run out in our lifetime or later generations?"

The thought of generating my own electricity for heat and electric warms my heart. If millions of others did the same, we could end our reliance on oil and natural gas. Bye bye energy companies, your days are numbered and recent events will hasten their demise.

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

I would hope there is a short term strategy fir expediency that by the nature of the current situation may be less palatable then most would like.

Followed by a long term strategy to become energy independent (and ensure if not state owned then mechanisms are in place to benefit the state and citizens not shareholders - looking at you Norway and your Sovereign Wealth Fund)

By *appyPandaMan  over a year ago

Kilkenny, but Dublin is more fun

We honestly need to be off oil and coal as soon as we possibly can. I know we've become so dependent on them in recent decades and this life of overconsumption so lost in this fake world of our own imaginings but it's not normal and not sustainable.

I don't really have much optimism in our current interconnected global civilisation surviving the century, no matter what climate change actions we put in place, but we need to focus on degrowth and be less dependent on far away goods so we're at least prepared when the collapse comes.

The less ruined the planet is, the more likely humanity is to rebuild and maybe form a better society further down the line.

And even if we don't, at least we can be optimistic that mass extinctions have happened before, and life finds a way to flourish again on this incredibly beautiful planet that we unfortunately thought was just for us

By *itzi999Woman  over a year ago

Slough

Or what you not

But I think that most on here we say like i do how can you buy oil from those nations that abuse their people "

More than half the world does not have the freedoms we have in the west, but they provide us with what we need (oil from Saudi Arabia, Manufacturing from China etc). Unless we are able to have alternative energy (solar, wind, hydro electric etc) we will have to rely on them

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

Or what you not

But I think that most on here we say like i do how can you buy oil from those nations that abuse their people

More than half the world does not have the freedoms we have in the west, but they provide us with what we need (oil from Saudi Arabia, Manufacturing from China etc). Unless we are able to have alternative energy (solar, wind, hydro electric etc) we will have to rely on them "

But what if they are anti-semitic?

» Add a new message to this topic