FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Daylight Saving Time - Time to ditch it?

Daylight Saving Time - Time to ditch it?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *bernath OP   Couple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

So the clocks went forward one hour. We lost an hour, a whole hour, aint getting that time back.

A little backstory, its an artificial decree from our past during WW1, surmising that we get to work earlier to increase productivity in order to help with the war effort. Well that war ended over 100 years ago, and we've been too lazy to end the practice.

In the US they have abandoned the practice, and the EU have also.

So why in hell do we need it for?. We need a referendum this will be bigger than Brexit soon, crazy but true.

Who wants their hour back?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ilkynmyzzyCouple  over a year ago

Bridlington

We do get the hour back later in the year but why the powers that be decide the natural order of things need tampering within beyond me

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

"So the clocks went forward one hour. We lost an hour, a whole hour, aint getting that time back.

A little backstory, its an artificial decree from our past during WW1, surmising that we get to work earlier to increase productivity in order to help with the war effort. Well that war ended over 100 years ago, and we've been too lazy to end the practice.

So why in hell do we need it for?. We need a referendum this will be bigger than Brexit soon, crazy but true.

Who wants their hour back? "

It always seemed an odd thing to call if daylight saving. Surely it does not matter what your clock says the amount of daylight will be the same. I have heard several reasons for its introduction including a traffic accident in Scotland with school children. Anyway the hour is not lost and returned when the clocks go back 1 hour latter in the year

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

I prefer summer time. Longer and brighter evenings

I'd leave it on BST.

By *vbride1963TV/TS  over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

Just move it back half an hour next time keep it in the middle .

By *iman2100Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

"I prefer summer time. Longer and brighter evenings

I'd leave it on BST."

Erm, summer days are longer because of the sun angle not the effect of BST.

Gloucestershire

"So the clocks went forward one hour. We lost an hour, a whole hour, aint getting that time back.

It always seemed an odd thing to call if daylight saving. Surely it does not matter what your clock says the amount of daylight will be the same. I have heard several reasons for its introduction including a traffic accident in Scotland with school children. Anyway the hour is not lost and returned when the clocks go back 1 hour latter in the year"

They could just start school earlier and finish earlier in the winter,

You’re messing with natural sleep patterns when you put DST in.

Darker evenings are better than darker mornings. When people should actually be sleeping

Plus for most people they are forced to start work earlier, which has been mentioned as another cause of road traffic accidents.

Just another example of how governments can even change laws so you suffer from lack of proper sleep.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 28/03/22 00:12:30]

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Why does a number on a dial or screen dictate when you get up or go to bed? Do what ya got to do: if dark buy a fucking head torch!

golden fields

"I prefer summer time. Longer and brighter evenings

I'd leave it on BST.

Erm, summer days are longer because of the sun angle not the effect of BST. "

Indeed. But still finish work at 5pm regardless. So BST gives longer evenings.

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

It always seemed an odd thing to call if daylight saving. Surely it does not matter what your clock says the amount of daylight will be the same. I have heard several reasons for its introduction including a traffic accident in Scotland with school children. Anyway the hour is not lost and returned when the clocks go back 1 hour latter in the year

Darker evenings are better than darker mornings. When people should actually be sleeping

Plus for most people they are forced to start work earlier, which has been mentioned as another cause of road traffic accidents.

Just another example of how governments can even change laws so you suffer from lack of proper sleep. "

I'm not sure if the school thing is the actual reason behind it just something I recall hearing on the radio ages ago. Someone else mentioned it has something to do with WW1. I heard today that in Spain they also put their clocks forward 1 hour yesterday

By *9alMan  over a year ago

Bridgend

I would prefer the clocks left on GMT winter time, there is plenty of daylight in the summer so why get up an hour early?

golden fields

"I would prefer the clocks left on GMT winter time, there is plenty of daylight in the summer so why get up an hour early? "

But if the winter was one BST. You'd have some sunlight after work.

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Just another example of how governments can even change laws so you suffer from lack of proper sleep.

I'm not sure if the school thing is the actual reason behind it just something I recall hearing on the radio ages ago. Someone else mentioned it has something to do with WW1. I heard today that in Spain they also put their clocks forward 1 hour yesterday"

fairly sure (tho not positive) the accident effect wears off pretty quickly. It's due to a losing an hour's sleep rather than the dark.

By *alking HeadMan  over a year ago

Bolton

"Just move it back half an hour next time keep it in the middle . "

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

they did an experiment where they didnt change the clocks in the 70s resulted in most of scotland staying dark untill mid morning .there was a road accident involving a number of school children in scotland and after the outcry the experiment was stopped

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Who wants their hour back? "

Actually the US hasn’t yet… they do it a few weeks before we do!

But there is a bill going through to get rid of the practice and stay on “summertime” all year round.. and in a rare show of bipartisanship it passed in the senate uncontested (100-0) …

So now it goes to the house, and if they decide to progress it and it passes, Biden has already said he will sign the bill if it gets to his desk!

Gloucestershire

Actually the US hasn’t yet… they do it a few weeks before we do!

But there is a bill going through to get rid of the practice and stay on “summertime” all year round.. and in a rare show of bipartisanship it passed in the senate uncontested (100-0) …

So now it goes to the house, and if they decide to progress it and it passes, Biden has already said he will sign the bill if it gets to his desk! "

Here’s hoping.

Gloucestershire

"they did an experiment where they didnt change the clocks in the 70s resulted in most of scotland staying dark untill mid morning .there was a road accident involving a number of school children in scotland and after the outcry the experiment was stopped

"

Well, let’s see what happens now, just like we had a referendum on Europe in the 70’s , time we had a referendum on dayexit. GMT forever! Daylight Savings time?, never!

I am sure a lot people will be happy to reclaim our hour back during the summer months.

» Add a new message to this topic