FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Air conditioning

Air conditioning

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Anyone else taken the plunge to install a system given the past few hot summers we’ve had?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

"Anyone else taken the plunge to install a system given the past few hot summers we’ve had? "

The cost of leccy now an electric fan is going to have to do

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

We have two portable units. (one up, one down) used the upstairs one all summer last year and the year before.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

"Anyone else taken the plunge to install a system given the past few hot summers we’ve had? "

Nah, too expensive. Plus use shit loads of power, burning more fossil fuels, heating the planet further.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

Nope dries my throat didnt even have it when ive lived in hot countries.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Yes it came with my garden office.

Prefer to open the doors though.

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

Same open doors and windows enjoy fresh air

By *00STERMan  over a year ago

nearby

Got one installed last year, especially working from home these days as well as being able to sleep. Best thing I bought last year ! So much more comfortable in the house

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

We have A/C in our house in Spain and in our rental properties.

As long as you have the modern type (I think they call it condenser) then they are not expensive to run.

However our old one (I think they called those compressor) which we replaced a few years ago would be horrendous nowadays.

The old ones were much cheaper to buy but I think they are now illegal to sell in the EU.

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

Struggling to see the political angle here (unless we are going for cost of living and climate change)

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

"Struggling to see the political angle here (unless we are going for cost of living and climate change) "

Leeds

We could debate what it would be like if Corbyn installed air conditioning.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

"We could debate what it would be like if Corbyn installed air conditioning."

It's the EU's fault.

near ipswich

or blame it on brexit that seems to be the go to excuse.

Leeds

Will the air conditioning waft Angela Rayner's dress provocatively to reveal her stocking tops ?

Both our Air cons are rated energy A. So not that bad.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"We could debate what it would be like if Corbyn installed air conditioning."

Actual lol on the train to work. Thanks for that laugh.

near ipswich

"Will the air conditioning waft Angela Rayner's dress provocatively to reveal her stocking tops ?"
I do hope not.

For those on a budget. I suggest bulk buying magnum ice creams instead

"Will the air conditioning waft Angela Rayner's dress provocatively to reveal her stocking tops ?"

Hahahahaha

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

Had it for years and use 9 months of the year. The actual benefit is Spring and Autumn and not Summer.

Have an 18,000 BTU on Landing, 12,000 BTU in Dining room. This allows 'flooding' of the house with Heat or cool depending on requirements. Just bought replacement for downstairs as 10 yrs old for £295 delivered. The 18,000 was fitted last year and cost £379 delivered.

Cooling in Summer is a byproduct. If you haven't already, get Solar/battery installed. This means you can use them for free heating in Autumn/ Spring and 'Warmer' days of Winter and free cooling in Summer.

Depending on your tariffs, it could be cheaper to use than gas for Spring/ Autumn heating. I've not used gas for 3 weeks, using Air Conditioners for heat and boost during day to 26 degrees.

They really should be now sold as cheaper, more efficient heating (Heat Pumps) as cooling is 20-30 days per year. They are not expensive to buy for the benefits.

Although I have 2x single-split units due to layout of house, the multi-splits are superb allowing two to four rooms from one outside box and cost £900 for two room with £120 per additional room.

"We have two portable units. (one up, one down) used the upstairs one all summer last year and the year before.

"

At nearly 40Ks they are not really portable. But do the job

"Struggling to see the political angle here (unless we are going for cost of living and climate change)

"

FFs Global warming, energy crisis innt!

Do I need to draw a picture

"We could debate what it would be like if Corbyn installed air conditioning.

It's the EU's fault. "

Sure is. Unit cam from Germany!

Only if she parks her fanny on my lounge.

"Anyone else taken the plunge to install a system given the past few hot summers we’ve had?

Had it for years and use 9 months of the year. The actual benefit is Spring and Autumn and not Summer.

Have an 18,000 BTU on Landing, 12,000 BTU in Dining room. This allows 'flooding' of the house with Heat or cool depending on requirements. Just bought replacement for downstairs as 10 yrs old for £295 delivered. The 18,000 was fitted last year and cost £379 delivered.

Cooling in Summer is a byproduct. If you haven't already, get Solar/battery installed. This means you can use them for free heating in Autumn/ Spring and 'Warmer' days of Winter and free cooling in Summer.

Depending on your tariffs, it could be cheaper to use than gas for Spring/ Autumn heating. I've not used gas for 3 weeks, using Air Conditioners for heat and boost during day to 26 degrees.

They really should be now sold as cheaper, more efficient heating (Heat Pumps) as cooling is 20-30 days per year. They are not expensive to buy for the benefits.

Although I have 2x single-split units due to layout of house, the multi-splits are superb allowing two to four rooms from one outside box and cost £900 for two room with £120 per additional room."

Fk me that gave me a headache!

Just bought it, switch on when needed and live life. WTF’s got the time to calculate all that shite and site there measuring KWHs and BTUs?

Longridge

And probably paid silly money to..

Quite simple really.. To convert BTU to kW simply multiply by 0.000293. To convert kW to BTU simply multiply by 3414.

9000 2.5kw

12000 3.5kw

18000 5.3kw

Longridge

Then there's the Samsung 12,000 BTU I have in the shed. Just taken it 15 mins to warm from 8 degrees to 21..

3.5kw heat, 900watts to run.

Cosy..

"Then there's the Samsung 12,000 BTU I have in the shed. Just taken it 15 mins to warm from 8 degrees to 21..

3.5kw heat, 900watts to run.

Cosy.."

My point was not about the difficulty if the maths. My comment was tongue in cheek. Have worked in energy distribution and trading industry for a good decades - but even so - CBA calculating all that. Just buy the best efficiency rating and use it.

I equate all that to audiophiles who spend more time measuring the impedance of their speaker cables than listening to music.

How can someone enjoy a movie if you’re sitting there calculating how much energy the telly uses in HDR mode or whether running it on gas or unicorn piss would be more efficient.

I don’t give a toss. Just want to enjoy the movie. Same goes for heat, light and cooling.

Longridge

Sorry, thought you were just bragging you'd got Air Conditioning!!

Had a few meets based on access to the Air Conditioned shed during hot summers in my time but it no longer impresses potential guests..

I was actually trying to say Air Conditioners are a big answer to Climate Change and energy hikes. On days above 6 degrees, a very cheap way to heat a house, especially when powered by..

Dare I say it, FREE Solar

Not run boiler for 5 weeks, house and shed are cosy at a power demand of 1.2kw which is free. I was being naughty, using your post to inform others, it's not just about taking the plunge - it's actually a financially better option for heating.

I can run a 1kw electric fire or as you say, having a COP rating of 4.5 during heating, that same kw can give me 4.5kw equivalent heat, which why the whole house has it to free up power to also heat Hot Water and charge the batteries simultaneously.

Many hear the crap about Heat Pumps assuming those that heat water, Air to Water, but a more efficient 'Heat Pump' is Air to Air (Air Conditioner).

Do you not measure a Willy before you use it? Or just sit n enjoy them too. (Sarcasm)

If not, I might be in with a chance

Am I be forgiven?

No bragging. Was just curious if others were using them.

Nothing to forgive. You have your hobby same as anyone else.

Longridge

[Removed by poster at 29/04/22 12:38:32]

Longridge

Bloody phone - Typos

Yes..

It's good saving myself and others a fortune, doing my bit for Climate Change and earning a few quid at the same time.

Just dumped half days Solar production into house that's now sitting at 28 degrees. Washers on its 3rd FREE run if the day.

It'll be just right when home later and another night Putin can shove his gas where the sun don't shine.

4kw at moment, will be 9kw in a few weeks. Thinking of gerting a Hot Tub.

Roll on Summer.

Longridge

As for others using them, it should be a legal requirement on new builds..

Longridge

I get asked a lot why run during the day. Getting back to COP, they are 5x more efficient during the day than 3x during a chilly night.

It also allows time for fixtures to warm up to store it, so doesn't drop quick when turned off at night..

Actually has been a good investment. The act of buying it seems to have pissed off the gods of climate change. Not had to have it on since it was delivered!

Fuck you warm weather!

Longridge

Use it for heating, it's 4 times cheaper than electrical heating and half the price of gas central heating – saves you money and keeps you even warmer!

On max output for 3 hours yesterday, house 22 degrees last night with no boiler input again. Solar wasn't great yesterday, so Grid supplied 1/4 of the power.

Give it a try..

There is nothing wrong per se with air-con. But there is a lot wrong with heating a house that hasn't been properly insulated. It contributes more to climate change than air con ever could.

Yes although I had mine installed for years now Window openings

Longridge

Used it yet?

Drowning in 45kw per day here. Can't use it all.

New Electric Vehicle on order, due in 2 months.. charger and drive being rented out during the day soon. That should cover winter power costs.

"Used it yet?

Drowning in 45kw per day here. Can't use it all.

New Electric Vehicle on order, due in 2 months.. charger and drive being rented out during the day soon. That should cover winter power costs."

Yes - it was on a couple of times the past week. Quite effective. Stick it ok for 1h first thing in am and then again over lunch and it keep the home office cool enough. Will get another unit soon for another room. They are not portable on a day to day basis as weigh too much and are a bit bulky. But will only be needed 3 or 4 months of the year so easy enough to out away put of sight once summer months have passed.

Thanks for asking

Longridge

[Removed by poster at 15/05/22 15:20:22]

Longridge

Look at multi splits on fleabay.

Buy it Direct regularly have 20% off. Got a 3.5kw for £290 delivered cpl months ago from them, that's going up next week to replace a 10yr old unit that's starting to sound like a tug boat.

Two room units £900, 3 rooms £1200 - all from single outside unit. Was running for heating until this week, now they're cooling.

They are also cheap from Italy, just have to allow for Duty on price.

Keep an eye on the drains, had a bad experience at my mother's many years ago in air conditioned garage play room. Was on the bed having 3some fun when the fricking thing started spraying freezing cold water over us on the bed!!

Damn spiders - connect vacuum cleaner to outside pipe at start of each year to suck em clear.

» Add a new message to this topic