FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > 2 year MOTs

2 year MOTs

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *rFunBoy OP   Man  over a year ago

Longridge

Is it honestly right to extend the time period of a proper safety check of a vehicle to every 24 from 12 months?

The state of many vehicles on the roads today, lights out, damages, bald tyres and now they talk of 2 years for MOTS.

I dread MOT but at least I know the car has been checked by a qualified mechanic once a year and any serious defects reported and fixed before there is chance it can kill someone.

I also know most other vehicles I share the road with has, or should have been checked for roadworthy condition.

Where is this stupidity coming from?

If there is to be any changes, it should not be allowed to use the same MOT station 3 years in a row to stop 'dodgy tickets'.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

“Where is this stupidity coming from?”

One guess

The Cabinet Ministers.

That’s right, our glorious, amazing, talented, not in the least corrupt or avoiding taxes, intelligent, talented crop of Ministers running our country!

By *coptoCouple  over a year ago

Côte d'Azur & Great Yarmouth

Is it right? Is it wrong?

Irrelevant... it's the usual "leak", i.e. if the majority think it's a good idea Boris will introduce it as his innovative brainwave, if there's a general outcry like yours: "Nah, it never happened".

The modern politician's idea of leadership is to find out what people want and walk in front of them. And even if it's only a minority (racists, tree-huggers, flat-earthers, whatever), it'll generate enough publicity to start a "political party" and rake in contributions, get yourself on talk shows, sell a few newspaper articles or even a book...

Or, if you're Nigel Farage, get people to pay for birthday greetings on the radio!

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

Italy, France, Portugal have a biennial MOT's so not that unusual.

Longridge

"“Where is this stupidity coming from?”

One guess

The Cabinet Ministers.

That’s right, our glorious, amazing, talented, not in the least corrupt or avoiding taxes, intelligent, talented crop of Ministers running our country!"

Spot on.. sheer stupidity.

I don't like annual MOT but at least we know vehicles are safe. Maybe just reduce the cost 50%, if the issue is cost of living.

Oh, they wouldn't do that..

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

[Removed by poster at 27/04/22 11:17:12]

Costa Blanca Spain...

"Italy, France, Portugal have a biennial MOT's so not that unusual. "

Also Germany.

In Spain it is every 2 years until the car is 10 years old then it is annually.

Personally I think the Spanish have got it about right.

I don't think modern cars need it every year while they are still quite young. But as they get older then there is an argument for it.

The current system in the UK goes back decades to the days when at 10 years old most cars were clapped out old bangers nearly ready for the scrap yard.

These days a 10 year old car is still relatively young.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"“Where is this stupidity coming from?”

One guess

The Cabinet Ministers.

That’s right, our glorious, amazing, talented, not in the least corrupt or avoiding taxes, intelligent, talented crop of Ministers running our country!

Spot on.. sheer stupidity.

I don't like annual MOT but at least we know vehicles are safe. Maybe just reduce the cost 50%, if the issue is cost of living.

Oh, they wouldn't do that.."

Good point, decrease the cost, keep the garages busy , make sure the cars are safe

Longridge

[Removed by poster at 27/04/22 11:31:52]

Longridge

"Italy, France, Portugal have a biennial MOT's so not that unusual.

Also Germany.

I don't think modern cars need it every year while they are still quite young. But as they get older then there is an argument for it.

The current system in the UK goes back decades to the days when at 10 years old most cars were clapped out old bangers nearly ready for the scrap yard.

These days a 10 year old car is still relatively young."

Can't agree..

1 to 3 yrs- no MOT

3 to 5 - every 2 years

5+ - every year.

10 years is not young for a car.

Coastal areas, cars suffer excessive corrosion, especially underneath. Salt used over winter corrodes cheaper manufactured suspension components.

Roads are full of pot holes and suspension, especially control arms, ball joints and bushes wear quicker.

With experience working in garages, most cars need substantial at work 5 to 10 years - 50,000 to 100,000 miles.

Costa Blanca Spain...

Also Germany.

Can't agree..

1 to 3 yrs- no MOT

3 to 5 - every 2 years

5+ - every year.

Coastal areas, cars suffer excessive corrosion, especially underneath. Salt used over winter corrodes cheaper manufactured suspension components.

Roads are full of pot holes and suspension, especially control arms, ball joints and bushes wear quicker.

With experience working in garages, most cars need substantial at work 5 to 10 years - 50,000 to 100,000 miles."

You should see the pot holes in Spain

Not sure about your coastal car theory either.

As someone who lived on the coast and was 25 years in the motor trade I saw it the other way around.

While salt air isn't perfect it seemed to do a lot less harm (corrosion) to the underside of cars than the grit from roads on higher ground that were gritted a lot more often.

Besides the days of cars needing welding work for MOT are almost gone. Fitting new sills on an 8-10 year old car was almost standard in the 70's. These days it's almost unheard of.

In Germany our business has a fleet of 16 cars of varying ages, youngest being almost new to our 14 year old Fiat Punto.

When that last went for TUV (MOT) I looked under it myself and it was as clean as a whistle, even the brake pipes were in decent nick.

In Spain our 2 cars are from 2005 and 2009. Both started life (and spent some time) in snowy salty Germany. The older one (Mercedes C class) still has its original exhaust.

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

And...helps exacerbate the cost of living crisis for garage/MOT centre owners by halving their business!

By *edonistsatplayCouple  over a year ago

Portsmouth, North Brittany, France

One of the differences in France and (i think) Germany is that you go to an actual test centre not a garage so there is no chance of any "yeah you're gonna need new brakes/suspension/ad finitum, mate"

You just get a result and a list of recommendations, you then choose where to go if any work is needed.

You are required to keep your vehicle in a road worthy condition, so even if you have a current control technique, you can still get pulled and done by the gendarmarie if they arent happy with something

Costa Blanca Spain...

"One of the differences in France and (i think) Germany is that you go to an actual test centre not a garage so there is no chance of any "yeah you're gonna need new brakes/suspension/ad finitum, mate"

You just get a result and a list of recommendations, you then choose where to go if any work is needed.

You are required to keep your vehicle in a road worthy condition, so even if you have a current control technique, you can still get pulled and done by the gendarmarie if they arent happy with something"

Yes that is pretty much the same in Germany.

Testers sometimes do days out at selected garages but most are done at the test centre.

Garages using the MOT to tout for business was always a problem in the UK.

By *rincessvenusCouple  over a year ago

Hull

if they want top help us get a bit more cash sort out the petrol and diesel price there is no shortage yet prices are still sky high

"Is it honestly right to extend the time period of a proper safety check of a vehicle to every 24 from 12 months?

The state of many vehicles on the roads today, lights out, damages, bald tyres and now they talk of 2 years for MOTS.

I dread MOT but at least I know the car has been checked by a qualified mechanic once a year and any serious defects reported and fixed before there is chance it can kill someone.

I also know most other vehicles I share the road with has, or should have been checked for roadworthy condition.

Where is this stupidity coming from?

If there is to be any changes, it should not be allowed to use the same MOT station 3 years in a row to stop 'dodgy tickets'."

Do not under any circumstances believe MOT testers are qualified mechanics. They are not. A month ago at a station I witnessed a tester tell a woman the test on her car was abandoned due to a brake pipe rupturing and leaking fluid. This moron then told her it was ok to drive home as long as she “ didn’t use the brakes too much”. Testing should be more regular in my opinion and test centres should be Government owned to stop cowboy outfits quoting unnecessary work.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Also Germany.

Can't agree..

1 to 3 yrs- no MOT

3 to 5 - every 2 years

5+ - every year.

With experience working in garages, most cars need substantial at work 5 to 10 years - 50,000 to 100,000 miles."

I don’t think I am too far off your suggestion… do the mot at 3,5 and 7… then annually after that

Lots of cars come with 7-8 year warranty anyway…. So that would cover that

By *ulaMan  over a year ago

Hitchin

Also Germany.

Can't agree..

1 to 3 yrs- no MOT

3 to 5 - every 2 years

5+ - every year.

With experience working in garages, most cars need substantial at work 5 to 10 years - 50,000 to 100,000 miles.

I don’t think I am too far off your suggestion… do the mot at 3,5 and 7… then annually after that

Lots of cars come with 7-8 year warranty anyway…. So that would cover that "

Not for wear and tear it wont.

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

So why is it a problem for the UK to do the same thing or have these other countries got it wrong

By *ulaMan  over a year ago

Hitchin

So why is it a problem for the UK to do the same thing or have these other countries got it wrong"

If its not broke dont mend it

Longridge

[Removed by poster at 27/04/22 18:36:55]

Longridge

It does depend on mileage more than age. I run 25k to 35k per year. I don't use new cars for this. I pick up at 80k and run to 220k then get rid. I use EV at weekends to keep mileage off the lease.

I would never buy a car again 45 to 79k as they cost a fortune in wear and tear servicing. At 80k, most has been done already, especially clutches, tyres and most suspension items.

I am light on clutch, even towing and never needed to have one on any car I've had when purchased at 80k taken to 220k.

One thing I have learnt, regularly change oil and other essentials. The rest is 'as and when' as its not hard to know to realise something is wrong and any MOT advisory or defect gets fixed before leaving the garage.

By *omerset tvTV/TS  over a year ago

Weston-super-Mare

[Removed by poster at 27/04/22 19:00:14]

By *omerset tvTV/TS  over a year ago

Weston-super-Mare

My car is a 1 litre petrol 2003 model and done 182,000 miles i had my front shock absorbers changed a month ago and mechanic told me the orginal 1s were still on car since it was built and only just needed changing

So JRM can’t even claim this as a Brexit Bonus? He must be gutted

Longridge

"My car is a 1 litre petrol 2003 model and done 182,000 miles i had my front shock absorbers changed a month ago and mechanic told me the orginal 1s were still on car since it was built and only just needed changing "

Not same for every car, hence need for regular qualified mechanic to check every year.

I've had cars at 200k with little done but others with ball joints wearing, wishbones cracked.

Is it not worth £40 a year for peace of mind? If cost of living argument is avoiding necessary repair bills, then that's morally wrong and dangerous.

An MOT is a check of vital components of a vehicle and anything highlighted is safety to occupants or other road users.

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

Also Germany.

These days a 10 year old car is still relatively young."

sounds good to me

By *amantha TSWoman  over a year ago

Swindon

"One of the differences in France and (i think) Germany is that you go to an actual test centre not a garage so there is no chance of any "yeah you're gonna need new brakes/suspension/ad finitum, mate"

You just get a result and a list of recommendations, you then choose where to go if any work is needed."

I believe most councils here offer this as well

Longridge

[Removed by poster at 27/04/22 22:35:01]

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

So why is it a problem for the UK to do the same thing or have these other countries got it wrong"

Those countries are in the EU; for plenty in these forums, that's wrong enough. Leaving the EU just to adopt EU regulations on vehicle safety? LOL

Maybe a change might work. I'm not sure.

Two things might complicate it - more people are going to hold onto older cars because they can't afford to replace them.

And how is the used EV market going to go?

Lots of people on low incomes might get priced out of driving altogether; that would impact the economy.

I think it's maybe going to take more than a biennial MoT.

» Add a new message to this topic