FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > So. Should they shut the Parliaments Bars?

So. Should they shut the Parliaments Bars?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *atEvolution OP   Couple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

Yes. I think they should.

There are many private sector contracts of employment that require employees to be sober at all times.

There are dozens of bars near the Parliamentary Estate the Members could frequent, and probably already do. But the rule should be not in your lunch break and not on Parliamentary grounds.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

Title typo correction

'Parliamentary Bars'

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

They should not serve alcohol in any workplace. OnLy exception being a formal banquet/ Dinner for visiting dignitaries. All U.K. only meets no booze.

To close them all together I don’t agree with. One reason they are centres of negotiation. A second if there’s no where to eat we can’t complain when Liz Truss goes to an outside restaurant and spends £3k of our money on lunch.

Why is she not using government catering?

"They should not serve alcohol in any workplace. OnLy exception being a formal banquet/ Dinner for visiting dignitaries. All U.K. only meets no booze.

To close them all together I don’t agree with. One reason they are centres of negotiation. A second if there’s no where to eat we can’t complain when Liz Truss goes to an outside restaurant and spends £3k of our money on lunch.

Why is she not using government catering? "

Good point - forgot about the food - so just no alcohol served then? I would agree with that.

I remember being in the Stranger's Bar with two friends and there were more than a few d*unks and one who was thrown out for trying to fight with a bar girl. It never occurred to me then (21yo on a Cultural Exchange) that most of the people there would be working MP's and Staffers.

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

"They should not serve alcohol in any workplace. OnLy exception being a formal banquet/ Dinner for visiting dignitaries. All U.K. only meets no booze.

Why is she not using government catering?

Good point - forgot about the food - so just no alcohol served then? I would agree with that.

I remember being in the Stranger's Bar with two friends and there were more than a few d*unks and one who was thrown out for trying to fight with a bar girl. It never occurred to me then (21yo on a Cultural Exchange) that most of the people there would be working MP's and Staffers.

"

I’ve been a guest a few times. I don’t think I was allowed in certain “tea” rooms. When I’ve been for formal functions there is always someone loud and possibly d*unk. I’m not saying they were all MPs but in my opinion it’s not the place for heavy drinking.

I wonder how many MPs and staff actually have a drink problem due to the culture there. The observer stated there are thirty bars in the whole estate.

I realise that most business is done in committees but as a result isn’t it time the boorish culture in the chamber was stopped? The loud jeering and shouting makes us look like we are run by a bunch of archaic public school boys all having a jolly old fashioned jape. It’s embarrassing.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

does that mean that the bars in the various police headquaters must also be closed down?

Not on the OP - but if you like.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

control freakery, standard.

By *eavenscentitCouple  over a year ago

barnstaple

Years ago London Hospitals had social clubs, essentially bars in Hospitals. They no longer have alcohol on their premises. Why should Parliament have alcohol especially subsidised. Remove the alcohol, serve them soft drinks, tea & coffee and make them pay full price.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

Definitely it seems they are all on a big piss up. Mary kelly foy d*unkenly berated and grabbed Richard Holden on the terrace for pressing the police to re investigate beergate.Close all the bars and maybe we will not get such bad behaviour and it might also stop Rayner giving out her distraction secrets.

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

I bet the mps nearly spat out their g&ts when someone mentioned closing the bar

"I bet the mps nearly spat out their g&ts when someone mentioned closing the bar "

G&T's all over their shoes lol.

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

Thing to consider is that if the bars are shut wouldn't MPs find somewhere else to drink after work like a public bar? Not sure I'd feel good about state secrets or policy being discussed in such a place.

"Thing to consider is that if the bars are shut wouldn't MPs find somewhere else to drink after work like a public bar? Not sure I'd feel good about state secrets or policy being discussed in such a place. "

Or an alcohol ban while working?

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

"Thing to consider is that if the bars are shut wouldn't MPs find somewhere else to drink after work like a public bar? Not sure I'd feel good about state secrets or policy being discussed in such a place.

Or an alcohol ban while working?"

That's far too sensible- it'd never catch on!

By *oubleswing2019Man  over a year ago

Colchester

Yes. Close them down. No alcohol at work policy.

It's an anachronism that needs to end in the modern day and age.

Time to clean up their act and set a higher bar on professional standards.

By *ittleAcornMan  over a year ago

"Thing to consider is that if the bars are shut wouldn't MPs find somewhere else to drink after work like a public bar? Not sure I'd feel good about state secrets or policy being discussed in such a place.

"

I'm reasonably sure they have meeting rooms available in the HoC for that sort of thing?

Plus I am also reasonably sure most MPs don't get anywhere near state secrets. There are also things like the Official Secrets Act that makes that sort of behaviour illegal.

I've worked for some quite secretive organisations, and also managed to go to the pub without giving all the secrets away.

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

"Thing to consider is that if the bars are shut wouldn't MPs find somewhere else to drink after work like a public bar? Not sure I'd feel good about state secrets or policy being discussed in such a place. "

This is, actually, pretty sensible.

Our politicians have proven countless times over generations that they are not particularly discrete and would almost certainly end up babbling loudly about any number of sensitive matters in public bars after a few drinks.

Great for journalists and lobbyists and spies. Not for the rest of us.

Keep them in Parliament when they have been drinking.

Bars only open after the final vote of the day.

Very small subsidy to encourage them to stay in the House for drinks. I don't care if it provides them a small privilege. I care that it prevents unguarded information leaks. Deliberate ones are another matter...

West London

I'm reasonably sure they have meeting rooms available in the HoC for that sort of thing?

Plus I am also reasonably sure most MPs don't get anywhere near state secrets. There are also things like the Official Secrets Act that makes that sort of behaviour illegal.

I've worked for some quite secretive organisations, and also managed to go to the pub without giving all the secrets away.

"

You aren't a narcissistic MP...

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Is the UK unique in having subsidised bars in parliment..?

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Anyone see the film Druk? Splendid film about working with a certain level of alcohol in your blood.

Ends in disaster of course.

Perhaps we should try and encourage them to get d*unk they may improve.

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

Yes.

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

Our politicians have proven countless times over generations that they are not particularly discrete and would almost certainly end up babbling loudly about any number of sensitive matters in public bars after a few drinks.

Very small subsidy to encourage them to stay in the House for drinks. I don't care if it provides them a small privilege. I care that it prevents unguarded information leaks. Deliberate ones are another matter..."

Or, how about talking about confidential matters in a public place brings a very heavy fine, and repeated offences is a dismissal?

Don't see why allowances should be made for MPs unprofessionalism. They're not children.

Ban second jobs as well, and maybe we'll get MPs who actually want to do the job and take it seriously, and aren't just there for a drink and a laugh whilst they fill their pockets elsewhere.

West London

Very small subsidy to encourage them to stay in the House for drinks. I don't care if it provides them a small privilege. I care that it prevents unguarded information leaks. Deliberate ones are another matter...

Or, how about talking about confidential matters in a public place brings a very heavy fine, and repeated offences is a dismissal?

Don't see why allowances should be made for MPs unprofessionalism. They're not children.

Ban second jobs as well, and maybe we'll get MPs who actually want to do the job and take it seriously, and aren't just there for a drink and a laugh whilst they fill their pockets elsewhere.

"

How are you going to know if they are overheard and the information is used?

Some things you have to deal with the reality of. In this case, d*unk people.

I have no problem with anyone having a drink and a laugh after work. Whoever they are.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Yes. I think they should.

There are many private sector contracts of employment that require employees to be sober at all times.

There are dozens of bars near the Parliamentary Estate the Members could frequent, and probably already do. But the rule should be not in your lunch break and not on Parliamentary grounds.

"

Agree in totality these idiots as they are sober are in charge of making huge decisions War etc imagine trying to make these decisions whilst under the influence!

» Add a new message to this topic