FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > The Beergate Gambit - prelude to a Snap Election

The Beergate Gambit - prelude to a Snap Election

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *bernath OP   Couple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Things are looking desperate for Boris, the Beergate thing looks like it’s whipped up his base, is he planning to do a snap election to put his problems behind him.

Everyone knows that this is probably the only avenue left for him to ensure he is keeps his precious premiership. Put it to a vote.

Biggest problem is that there might be a revolt, this is going to be a really interesting week ahead.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *iman2100Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Things are looking desperate for Boris, the Beergate thing looks like it’s whipped up his base, is he planning to do a snap election to put his problems behind him.

Everyone knows that this is probably the only avenue left for him to ensure he is keeps his precious premiership. Put it to a vote.

Biggest problem is that there might be a revolt, this is going to be a really interesting week ahead."

As I recall we have fixed term parliaments now so snap elections are a thing of the past. We have to ride down with the sinking Boris ship.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"Things are looking desperate for Boris, the Beergate thing looks like it’s whipped up his base, is he planning to do a snap election to put his problems behind him.

Biggest problem is that there might be a revolt, this is going to be a really interesting week ahead.

As I recall we have fixed term parliaments now so snap elections are a thing of the past. We have to ride down with the sinking Boris ship. "

No.

I think that Fixed term Parliaments were abolished a couple of months ago as I recall.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

Biggest problem is that there might be a revolt, this is going to be a really interesting week ahead."

I don't think so, the distraction techniques are working well on Conservative voters.

We had some blaming immigrants. We have had the "but Starmer ate some pizza or curry", there will be a few more and it will all blow over with no consequences for the Tories, just like every other scandal/sleaze.

Gone is the time when we can expect any form of integrity from the government.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Politics has become such a farcical soap opera. BBC Parliament should actually have an omnibus episode on Sunday’s

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

vote of confidence before an election imo.

However, the upcoming period of hardship may make an early election more attractive. You can already see HMG signposting that any shiystorm down the road isnt their fauly, honest. See: levelling up.

By *heshbifellaMan  over a year ago

Crewe

As I recall we have fixed term parliaments now so snap elections are a thing of the past. We have to ride down with the sinking Boris ship.

No.

I think that Fixed term Parliaments were abolished a couple of months ago as I recall. "

Correct. The Dissolution and Calling of Parliament Act was granted Royal Assent on 24 March 2022, repealing the Fixed Term Parliaments Act of 2011.

The Prime Minister can call a General Election any time he wants. Not as convinced as the OP a 'snap' election is imminent though

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

Maybe if starmer and rayner get fined and have to fall off their moral high horse and resign it could be a good time to call one. The infighting for the leadership that normally happens will trump any policies they have and they will come across to the public as the same old labour with no ideas.

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Maybe if starmer and rayner get fined and have to fall off their moral high horse and resign it could be a good time to call one. The infighting for the leadership that normally happens will trump any policies they have and they will come across to the public as the same old labour with no ideas."
on the otherhand I wonder how profiteering on SKS stepping down would look, given partygate.

"Maybe if starmer and rayner get fined and have to fall off their moral high horse and resign it could be a good time to call one. The infighting for the leadership that normally happens will trump any policies they have and they will come across to the public as the same old labour with no ideas.on the otherhand I wonder how profiteering on SKS stepping down would look, given partygate. "

Terminal. That's why the Tories suddenly backpedalled on the Starmer attacks when he did the thing Johnson never would: showed some integrity.

near ipswich

"Maybe if starmer and rayner get fined and have to fall off their moral high horse and resign it could be a good time to call one. The infighting for the leadership that normally happens will trump any policies they have and they will come across to the public as the same old labour with no ideas.on the otherhand I wonder how profiteering on SKS stepping down would look, given partygate. "
I want to hear what a government is going to do and think most are like me and want the same,what im saying is the focus would be on electing a new leader and all the infighting that goes along with it taking all the headlines over policies.

By *heshbifellaMan  over a year ago

Crewe

"Maybe if starmer and rayner get fined and have to fall off their moral high horse and resign it could be a good time to call one. The infighting for the leadership that normally happens will trump any policies they have and they will come across to the public as the same old labour with no ideas.on the otherhand I wonder how profiteering on SKS stepping down would look, given partygate. I want to hear what a government is going to do and think most are like me and want the same,what im saying is the focus would be on electing a new leader and all the infighting that goes along with it taking all the headlines over policies. "

Apart from a windfall tax, which the Tories first did years ago, I haven't seen much of policy ideas from Labour to win the next election. Their intention seems to be to drag the Tories down over Partygate and see if that will do it.

The problem there is Partygate is a 'sleaze' issue and those old enough to remember the Blair years, will recall it in spades. £1m donation to Labour from Putin-loving Bernie Eccleston anyone? Tony's cronies? Hinduja passports? Keith Vaz? Ron Davies on Clapham Common? Cash for honours? Mandelson and his mortgage application. It never stopped from 97 to 2010.

Labour might have some success, in the 2024 election, promoting the Tories as the party of corruption. But it is hard to avoid the sense that a world-weary voter of say 50 and above has simply come to expect it of all of them, and not without good reason.

So then you go back to policy and what are Labour offering?

near ipswich

"Maybe if starmer and rayner get fined and have to fall off their moral high horse and resign it could be a good time to call one. The infighting for the leadership that normally happens will trump any policies they have and they will come across to the public as the same old labour with no ideas.on the otherhand I wonder how profiteering on SKS stepping down would look, given partygate. I want to hear what a government is going to do and think most are like me and want the same,what im saying is the focus would be on electing a new leader and all the infighting that goes along with it taking all the headlines over policies.

Apart from a windfall tax, which the Tories first did years ago, I haven't seen much of policy ideas from Labour to win the next election. Their intention seems to be to drag the Tories down over Partygate and see if that will do it.

The problem there is Partygate is a 'sleaze' issue and those old enough to remember the Blair years, will recall it in spades. £1m donation to Labour from Putin-loving Bernie Eccleston anyone? Tony's cronies? Hinduja passports? Keith Vaz? Ron Davies on Clapham Common? Cash for honours? Mandelson and his mortgage application. It never stopped from 97 to 2010.

Labour might have some success, in the 2024 election, promoting the Tories as the party of corruption. But it is hard to avoid the sense that a world-weary voter of say 50 and above has simply come to expect it of all of them, and not without good reason.

So then you go back to policy and what are Labour offering? "

This is my point unless labour start to come up with some credible policies they will not win, just trying to discredit the opposition will not be enough to win.

"Maybe if starmer and rayner get fined and have to fall off their moral high horse and resign it could be a good time to call one. The infighting for the leadership that normally happens will trump any policies they have and they will come across to the public as the same old labour with no ideas.on the otherhand I wonder how profiteering on SKS stepping down would look, given partygate. I want to hear what a government is going to do and think most are like me and want the same,what im saying is the focus would be on electing a new leader and all the infighting that goes along with it taking all the headlines over policies.

So then you go back to policy and what are Labour offering? This is my point unless labour start to come up with some credible policies they will not win, just trying to discredit the opposition will not be enough to win."

credible policies like the windfall tax you mean? The policy the government were eventually dragged into doing, kicking + screaming.

PS the idea opposition parties have to work to discredit the Tories is laughable. The Tories are discrediting themselves v well on their own...

near ipswich

So then you go back to policy and what are Labour offering? This is my point unless labour start to come up with some credible policies they will not win, just trying to discredit the opposition will not be enough to win.

credible policies like the windfall tax you mean? The policy the government were eventually dragged into doing, kicking + screaming."

It wasnt even a labour idea the nicked it off the lib/dems who banged on about it 1st.

So then you go back to policy and what are Labour offering? This is my point unless labour start to come up with some credible policies they will not win, just trying to discredit the opposition will not be enough to win.

credible policies like the windfall tax you mean? The policy the government were eventually dragged into doing, kicking + screaming.It wasnt even a labour idea the nicked it off the lib/dems who banged on about it 1st. "

Labour pushed it hard while the Tories spent ages denying the policy. They even voted against it before being forced into a screeching uturn.

near ipswich

credible policies like the windfall tax you mean? The policy the government were eventually dragged into doing, kicking + screaming.It wasnt even a labour idea the nicked it off the lib/dems who banged on about it 1st.

Labour pushed it hard while the Tories spent ages denying the policy. They even voted against it before being forced into a screeching uturn."

Of course they did but it wasn't their idea in the first place thats my point they have no policies.

credible policies like the windfall tax you mean? The policy the government were eventually dragged into doing, kicking + screaming.It wasnt even a labour idea the nicked it off the lib/dems who banged on about it 1st.

Labour pushed it hard while the Tories spent ages denying the policy. They even voted against it before being forced into a screeching uturn.Of course they did but it wasn't their idea in the first place thats my point they have no policies."

You could look up their policies if you want instead of repeating something you heard. But whatever...

near ipswich

Labour pushed it hard while the Tories spent ages denying the policy. They even voted against it before being forced into a screeching uturn.Of course they did but it wasn't their idea in the first place thats my point they have no policies.

You could look up their policies if you want instead of repeating something you heard. But whatever...

"

repeating something i heard you could point some of them out to me because i havnt seen any since they lost the last election.

Anyone know of any labour policies for their manifesto in the next election? Anyone?

Labour pushed it hard while the Tories spent ages denying the policy. They even voted against it before being forced into a screeching uturn.Of course they did but it wasn't their idea in the first place thats my point they have no policies.

repeating something i heard you could point some of them out to me because i havnt seen any since they lost the last election.

Anyone know of any labour policies for their manifesto in the next election? Anyone?"

there was a manifesto with policies in it. But I know you don't care & won't read it. So, again, whatever...

near ipswich

Anyone know of any labour policies for their manifesto in the next election? Anyone?

there was a manifesto with policies in it. But I know you don't care & won't read it. So, again, whatever..."

I look At all the manifestos before i vote mate the policies that best suit me i vote for,you never get 100% so you have to pick out the main ones.Its not like a football team or shouldnt be although some think it is it seems.

Where is this manifesto? all i can find is a slogan "stronger together" oh and a forum for ideas for policies.

there was a manifesto with policies in it. But I know you don't care & won't read it. So, again, whatever...I look At all the manifestos before i vote mate the policies that best suit me i vote for,you never get 100% so you have to pick out the main ones.Its not like a football team or shouldnt be although some think it is it seems.

Where is this manifesto? all i can find is a slogan "stronger together" oh and a forum for ideas for policies. "

whatever...

near ipswich

there was a manifesto with policies in it. But I know you don't care & won't read it. So, again, whatever...I look At all the manifestos before i vote mate the policies that best suit me i vote for,you never get 100% so you have to pick out the main ones.Its not like a football team or shouldnt be although some think it is it seems.

Where is this manifesto? all i can find is a slogan "stronger together" oh and a forum for ideas for policies.

whatever..."

Yes i thought so you dont know.

whatever...Yes i thought so you dont know. "

whatever...

By *uddy laneMan  over a year ago

dudley

whatever...Yes i thought so you dont know.

whatever..."

You sound like you do not care.

whatever...Yes i thought so you dont know.

whatever...

You sound like you do not care. "

Lovely little bit of spin there.

» Add a new message to this topic