FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Unjust criticism in politics

Unjust criticism in politics

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *mateur100 OP   Man  over a year ago

nr faversham

Tory MP criticised for suggesting people should learn to budget and to cook rather than use food banks. He's apparently out of touch claims Labour MP

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

"Tory MP criticised for suggesting people should learn to budget and to cook rather than use food banks. He's apparently out of touch claims Labour MP

"

Yes for 30p you can buy a turnip to feed your family for the day. No need to use food banks.

Vote Tory for Victorian serf diets all round.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

Mr Anderson invited MPs to visit a food bank in his Nottinghamshire constituency where he said people "have to register for a budgeting course and a cooking course" if they receive parcels.

"We show them how to cook cheap and nutritious meals on a budget," he added. "We can make a meal for about 30p a day and this is cooking from scratch."

I think this is an excellent idea you get the ingredients and are shown how to cook them.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"Mr Anderson invited MPs to visit a food bank in his Nottinghamshire constituency where he said people "have to register for a budgeting course and a cooking course" if they receive parcels.

"We show them how to cook cheap and nutritious meals on a budget," he added. "We can make a meal for about 30p a day and this is cooking from scratch."

I think this is an excellent idea you get the ingredients and are shown how to cook them. "

Maybe we should just live in a country where people don’t need to beg - at all, ever.

near ipswich

"Mr Anderson invited MPs to visit a food bank in his Nottinghamshire constituency where he said people "have to register for a budgeting course and a cooking course" if they receive parcels.

I think this is an excellent idea you get the ingredients and are shown how to cook them.

Maybe we should just live in a country where people don’t need to beg - at all, ever."

Not many of those in the world in fact i cant think of one that ive been to and ive travelled alot.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I think this is an excellent idea you get the ingredients and are shown how to cook them. "

I've cooked from scratch my whole cooking life and I would genuinely struggle to produce consistently nutritous, filling and palatable meals for 30p.

Is it per serving, what meal is it dinner, breakfast, lunch, what about the other two meals, what are the ingredients?

near ipswich

I've cooked from scratch my whole cooking life and I would genuinely struggle to produce consistently nutritous, filling and palatable meals for 30p.

Is it per serving, what meal is it dinner, breakfast, lunch, what about the other two meals, what are the ingredients?"

I did say in the other thread about it that 30p seems a bit low to me too unless its soup i did make 4 bowls of carrot and ginger for 29p the other day though which i freeze for a snack.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Is it per serving, what meal is it dinner, breakfast, lunch, what about the other two meals, what are the ingredients?I did say in the other thread about it that 30p seems a bit low to me too unless its soup i did make 4 bowls of carrot and ginger for 29p the other day though which i freeze for a snack."

That's great, how much did the fuel to cook it cost?

near ipswich

Is it per serving, what meal is it dinner, breakfast, lunch, what about the other two meals, what are the ingredients?I did say in the other thread about it that 30p seems a bit low to me too unless its soup i did make 4 bowls of carrot and ginger for 29p the other day though which i freeze for a snack.

That's great, how much did the fuel to cook it cost?"

no idea, pennies i guess carrots dont take long and blending neither.

nr faversham

For goodness sake!!! Tesco advertising how to make a weeks worth of meals for £25... is that slagged off? Might I refer some of you to the proverb "give a man a fish..." Or is that sexist too?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"For goodness sake!!! Tesco advertising how to make a weeks worth of meals for £25... is that slagged off? Might I refer some of you to the proverb "give a man a fish..." Or is that sexist too?"

I have no problem with teaching people the basics required for healthy eating on a budget, it's a useful skill to have and one I'm glad I have. But 30p a meal!

near ipswich

"For goodness sake!!! Tesco advertising how to make a weeks worth of meals for £25... is that slagged off? Might I refer some of you to the proverb "give a man a fish..." Or is that sexist too?

I have no problem with teaching people the basics required for healthy eating on a budget, it's a useful skill to have and one I'm glad I have. But 30p a meal!"

I agree it seems cheap but it seems the Nottinghamshire foodbank can.

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

Cookstown

I'm not going to run down people using food banks or those having other misfortunes but Mrs and I actually were in M&S today and I rather like their scotch eggs so she suggested I get them.

I went over and found them and saw the price £1.50 and I'm pretty sure they were £1.00 last year so I put them back.

We looked at the price of a few other things (cooked BBQ ribs were nearly double from last year) and we decided that the reason we haven't noticed any real increase in our weekly shop is that we mostly shop in Lidl and we rarely buy ready meals as Mrs cooks most of our meals from scratch.

I realize that we are lucky enough to have the time to prepare our own meals and many people can't but there is a lot of truth that you can feed a family very cheaply if you try

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

Cookstown

Is it per serving, what meal is it dinner, breakfast, lunch, what about the other two meals, what are the ingredients?I did say in the other thread about it that 30p seems a bit low to me too unless its soup i did make 4 bowls of carrot and ginger for 29p the other day though which i freeze for a snack.

That's great, how much did the fuel to cook it cost?"

Probably a similar amount as reheating a £1 tin of Heinz soup ?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"For goodness sake!!! Tesco advertising how to make a weeks worth of meals for £25... is that slagged off? Might I refer some of you to the proverb "give a man a fish..." Or is that sexist too?

I have no problem with teaching people the basics required for healthy eating on a budget, it's a useful skill to have and one I'm glad I have. But 30p a meal!I agree it seems cheap but it seems the Nottinghamshire foodbank can. "

Great. We've been really poor in our time and had a tiny food budget. It's boring, repetitive, dreary and soul destroying. I feel very sorry for anybody facing the prospect of this while being told by those in authority that it's ok.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

That's great, how much did the fuel to cook it cost?

Probably a similar amount as reheating a £1 tin of Heinz soup ?"

If a meal is really going to cost 30p the cost of actually cooking it needs to be factored in.

near ipswich

I have no problem with teaching people the basics required for healthy eating on a budget, it's a useful skill to have and one I'm glad I have. But 30p a meal!I agree it seems cheap but it seems the Nottinghamshire foodbank can.

Great. We've been really poor in our time and had a tiny food budget. It's boring, repetitive, dreary and soul destroying. I feel very sorry for anybody facing the prospect of this while being told by those in authority that it's ok. "

It doesn't have to be these days there is so much on the net it doesnt have to be boring or repetitive.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Tory MP criticised for suggesting people should learn to budget and to cook rather than use food banks. He's apparently out of touch claims Labour MP

"

Given the slating I received for suggesting people should have basic maths skills I’m not surprised.

Maybe we should just live in a country where people don’t need to beg - at all, ever."

There are 1.3m jobs going begging. Why not beg for one of those. Companies are desperate. Most employers are snapping the hands off anyone with a pulse who isn’t barking at the moon!

nr faversham

I have no problem with teaching people the basics required for healthy eating on a budget, it's a useful skill to have and one I'm glad I have. But 30p a meal!I agree it seems cheap but it seems the Nottinghamshire foodbank can.

Great. We've been really poor in our time and had a tiny food budget. It's boring, repetitive, dreary and soul destroying. I feel very sorry for anybody facing the prospect of this while being told by those in authority that it's ok. It doesn't have to be these days there is so much on the net it doesnt have to be boring or repetitive. "

So why is suggesting ways out such an issue with people? If Sainsbury's is too expensive, use Lidl or Aldi! Cut the sky, mobiles, fags, beers, takeaways. Live within your means!!!!

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Great. We've been really poor in our time and had a tiny food budget. It's boring, repetitive, dreary and soul destroying. I feel very sorry for anybody facing the prospect of this while being told by those in authority that it's ok. It doesn't have to be these days there is so much on the net it doesnt have to be boring or repetitive. "

I'll wager 30p per meal would be a pretty difficult budget to provide variety.

near ipswich

Great. We've been really poor in our time and had a tiny food budget. It's boring, repetitive, dreary and soul destroying. I feel very sorry for anybody facing the prospect of this while being told by those in authority that it's ok. It doesn't have to be these days there is so much on the net it doesnt have to be boring or repetitive.

I'll wager 30p per meal would be a pretty difficult budget to provide variety. "

ive already agreed with you twice on that one.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Great. We've been really poor in our time and had a tiny food budget. It's boring, repetitive, dreary and soul destroying. I feel very sorry for anybody facing the prospect of this while being told by those in authority that it's ok. It doesn't have to be these days there is so much on the net it doesnt have to be boring or repetitive.

I'll wager 30p per meal would be a pretty difficult budget to provide variety. ive already agreed with you twice on that one."

well a third won't hurt

Forum Mod

East Sussex

So why is suggesting ways out such an issue with people? If Sainsbury's is too expensive, use Lidl or Aldi! Cut the sky, mobiles, fags, beers, takeaways. Live within your means!!!!"

Ok.

I'll wager 30p per meal would be a pretty difficult budget to provide variety. "

Probably.

nr faversham

Probably. "

Too much to expect someone to do something about it I suppose???

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Probably.

Too much to expect someone to do something about it I suppose???"

What's your point here?

nr faversham

Probably.

What's your point here?"

My point is that advice is being offered and treated as shit by political opponents and if people don't like the situation they are in, do something about it...most are able to

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Probably.

What's your point here?

My point is that advice is being offered and treated as shit by political opponents and if people don't like the situation they are in, do something about it...most are able to "

Advice is being offered and people are disagreeing with it. If the people dishing out the advice don't like criticism or disagreement I fear politics might be the wrong job for them.

nr faversham

Probably.

What's your point here?

My point is that advice is being offered and treated as shit by political opponents and if people don't like the situation they are in, do something about it...most are able to

Advice is being offered and people are disagreeing with it. If the people dishing out the advice don't like criticism or disagreement I fear politics might be the wrong job for them."

How is the advice incorrect? If Martin Lewis offered it, as he does in a non political way, people love it

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Probably.

What's your point here?

Advice is being offered and people are disagreeing with it. If the people dishing out the advice don't like criticism or disagreement I fear politics might be the wrong job for them.

How is the advice incorrect? If Martin Lewis offered it, as he does in a non political way, people love it"

Who's said it's incorrect?

nr faversham

Probably.

What's your point here?

How is the advice incorrect? If Martin Lewis offered it, as he does in a non political way, people love it

Who's said it's incorrect?"

Do you're just argumentative?

Probably.

What's your point here?

Do you're just argumentative?"

Why are you answering a question with a question

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Probably.

What's your point here?

Do you're just argumentative?"

Ok, I'll discuss no further with you.

Good evening

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Lets put it into context, how can you cook when you have no food?

The MP is moron, its like the Conservative party scrape the barrel when they choose their candidates.

All useful idiots in some shape or form.

You know in France when someone said something in that similar vein, it became a trigger for a revolution.

Like Pigs in the wild, see how quickly they become feral when they they are forced to survive.

"Lets put it into context, how can you cook when you have no food?

The MP is moron, its like the Conservative party scrape the barrel when they choose their candidates.

You know in France when someone said something in that similar vein, it became a trigger for a revolution.

Like Pigs in the wild, see how quickly they become feral when they they are forced to survive. "

Global Britain, where the serfs get to eat turnips , it’s like the 1800s

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

Like Pigs in the wild, see how quickly they become feral when they they are forced to survive.

Global Britain, where the serfs get to eat turnips , it’s like the 1800s"

As a Baldrick fan I have tear in my eye!!

Oh the romance of it all. Maybe a Michelin chef can suggest Turnip four ways?

By *itzi999Woman  over a year ago

Slough

"

What did you expect from Labour?

Oh the romance of it all. Maybe a Michelin chef can suggest Turnip four ways? "

Ha, we will be throwing our own shit into the streets next to save money on water bills, the ‘good old days’ brigade will love it

Slough

" Maybe we should just live in a country where people don’t need to beg - at all, ever."

Get rid of ALL foreign aid and spend that on the British public, ie, the people paying the taxes should be spent in the country!

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

What did you expect from Labour?"

Maybe Labour should have suggested they survive on 20p a day.

Half a turnip between a whole family.

Manchester

What did you expect from Labour?"

Please feel free to share a food plan for 30p per day!! We are all ears as you obviously claim it’s possible as the labour spokesman is wrong.

Oh the romance of it all. Maybe a Michelin chef can suggest Turnip four ways?

Ha, we will be throwing our own shit into the streets next to save money on water bills, the ‘good old days’ brigade will love it "

Less food = less shit.

Tories love economies of scale!

" Maybe we should just live in a country where people don’t need to beg - at all, ever.

Get rid of ALL foreign aid and spend that on the British public, ie, the people paying the taxes should be spent in the country! "

Including the money we are sending to the Ukraine

nr faversham

Do you not see how many people have chosen to become benefits dependent and how shite that is?

"

Well I haven't seen ready meals shown in a food bank, though I'm lucky enough to not need to use one.

Secondly, cooking requires expensive electric or gas

Thirdly z does he Cook or does his servants do that for him.

Typical Tory twat!

"Do you not see how many people have chosen to become benefits dependent and how shite that is?"

How many people have ‘chosen’ to become dependent on benefits?

"Do you not see how many people have chosen to become benefits dependent and how shite that is?

How many people have ‘chosen’ to become dependent on benefits? "

I honestly doubt it is many. As the quality of life is shit. The Daily Mail and Express magnify the rare edge case and the gullible and butter lap it up. Yet defend loopholes that cost the counts orders of magnitude more. Dunces will be dunces: that’s why the elite love them. Their buttons are daily pushed.

"Do you not see how many people have chosen to become benefits dependent and how shite that is?

I honestly doubt it is many. As the quality of life is shit. The Daily Mail and Express magnify the rare edge case and the gullible and butter lap it up. Yet defend loopholes that cost the counts orders of magnitude more. Dunces will be dunces: that’s why the elite love them. Their buttons are daily pushed. "

This!

I honestly doubt it is many. As the quality of life is shit. The Daily Mail and Express magnify the rare edge case and the gullible and butter lap it up. Yet defend loopholes that cost the counts orders of magnitude more. Dunces will be dunces: that’s why the elite love them. Their buttons are daily pushed. "

I remember dodgy David Cameron using an extreme case of mick philpot case to cut benefits and label all claimers as scroungers.. the tory shit

I remember when a politician was dared to live for a week with a family on benefits, they walked off the show on day 2.

I work with people who are under the poverty line, and to cook for 30p a day is stupid just plain stupid why the cost of cooking it, especially when a person has a pre paid meter which is taking back a overpayment and please do not forget the standing charge.

It is disgusting that companies are making vast profits while people have to beg to eat, we are to blame because we accept it and as long as we accept it, this behaviour will continue.

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

"

I remember dodgy David Cameron using an extreme case of mick philpot case to cut benefits and label all claimers as scroungers.. the tory shit"

Mick Philpott who killed six of his children in an arson attack ?

By *ornagainchristianMan  over a year ago

all over the UK

"

If someone raking in a kings salary (with regular raises) while claiming everything they could on expenses told you, a single parent with children to feed and a mortgage to pay in a deprived area on one minimum wage salary, that the problem wasn’t that they’d cut all support and raised the cost of living beyond coping means, but that you simply “can’t budget” or “don’t know how to cook”, then suggested you can make a meal on 30p a day, wouldn’t you be pissed off too?

Slough

How many people have ‘chosen’ to become dependent on benefits? "

Lots - you have the teenage single mums who want their own place for independence and get everything handed to them on a plate… to the lazy who would rather sit at home watching daytime tv than go to work, and then you get the benefit cheats who do all…

Slough

" Maybe we should just live in a country where people don’t need to beg - at all, ever.

Get rid of ALL foreign aid and spend that on the British public, ie, the people paying the taxes should be spent in the country!

Including the money we are sending to the Ukraine "

Yes - the money should be spent on the British public eg social housing for the homeless

Yes - the money should be spent on the British public eg social housing for the homeless "

I see, you better tell your Hero Boris then, he seems very keen on giving money to Ukraine, has your family always lived in the UK?

Lots - you have the teenage single mums who want their own place for independence and get everything handed to them on a plate… to the lazy who would rather sit at home watching daytime tv than go to work, and then you get the benefit cheats who do all…"

I want facts and figures, not some ranty made up nonsense

By *ustintime69Man  over a year ago

Bristol

Lots - you have the teenage single mums who want their own place for independence and get everything handed to them on a plate… to the lazy who would rather sit at home watching daytime tv than go to work, and then you get the benefit cheats who do all…"

What a load of old cobblers!

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Yes - the money should be spent on the British public eg social housing for the homeless "

won't that encourage people to become homeless so gehy can game the system ... Slightly /s

Slough

Lots - you have the teenage single mums who want their own place for independence and get everything handed to them on a plate… to the lazy who would rather sit at home watching daytime tv than go to work, and then you get the benefit cheats who do all…

I want facts and figures, not some ranty made up nonsense "

Google it - you’ll find all of it….

Slough

What a load of old cobblers! "

It’s true. Have a look on google and read the article of your choice to find out if it’s true or not. There are many, many people like that.

By *ulaMan  over a year ago

Hitchin

A tory coming up with an idea that should have come from a labour MP is what's up set them.

By *xposedInTheSunCouple  over a year ago

Cambridgeshire

" Get rid of ALL foreign aid and spend that on the British public, ie, the people paying the taxes should be spent in the country! "

That's the same moral position as saying that rich people shouldn't pay more tax than poor people.

It's funny how many people's morality just happens to coincide with what's in their own interest.

"

I remember dodgy David Cameron using an extreme case of mick philpot case to cut benefits and label all claimers as scroungers.. the tory shit

Mick Philpott who killed six of his children in an arson attack ?"

Yep, he was claiming benefits and was used as an example of a typical type of scrounger

So why is suggesting ways out such an issue with people? If Sainsbury's is too expensive, use Lidl or Aldi! Cut the sky, mobiles, fags, beers, takeaways. Live within your means!!!!"

maybe you should see how much aldi prices are increasing in line with the rest your talking utter bollox cut a contracted bill that generally works out well so your plan for living life in 2022 is as simple as surviving until you die then while the silver spoon brigade live it up wow great plan hell im a hunter and a world like that seems 2% better than death i didnt survive covid to live like a damn monk and have big business rob me of my hard earned savings iv worked hard to build and watch my kids and elderly relatives stave and freeze to death in there frozen homes come winter you enjoy that life of living death just wait until the poor strike back the coming crime wave will be a marvel

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

a weeks food shopping for £4.50? ..... the tory idiot for ashfield and his supporters are grossly out of touch to the point of being moronic.

Bristol

"a weeks food shopping for £4.50? ..... the tory idiot for ashfield and his supporters are grossly out of touch to the point of being moronic. "

That’s the cost of a pint these days! I don’t see how anyone can live on 30p a day unless you go dumpster crawling and eat the rubbish that shops and restaurants chuck out. The guy must be a complete dick and his supporters must be heartless and thick too

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

30p per day?.... this shopping budget has turned into a dutch auction!

exactly how many weeks does the fascist for ashfield think a person can survive for on a weekly food shop of £2.10?! It's beyond moronic now.

I wonder how much the food and drinks for Party Gate cost, and were they at taxpayers expense.

But here are some facts about his 30p quote.

1. The figure is from an event at his local foodbank, where he claims they cooked 170 healthy nutritional meals for £50. He does not say whether this was the food cost alone or included energy costs too.

2. The event obviously was able to purchase at wholesale prices, where as most households are not. So substantial maybe upto 50% savings.

3. The event took place in November 2021. The food price rise in April alone was 11%. Factor in electricity and gas price rises. My electricity bill alone has risen from £59 a month to nearly £300.

Anyone who believes Lee Anderson use of the 30p figure are either stupid or gullible, or both. Or maybe just partisan politics.

There is an inflation crisis going on especially in food and energy. I have associates in the hotels and restaurant businesses, they all say the same thing. Even though they are busy. They aren't able to make money because of rising costs. They can't or won't risk putting prices up each month like they probably need to do, to stay profitable.

This might have been a stupid comment by Lee Anderson or a very clever one. Because instead of talking about the actual crisis, we seem to talking about the 30p.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I wonder how much the food and drinks for Party Gate cost, and were they at taxpayers expense.

1. The figure is from an event at his local foodbank, where he claims they cooked 170 healthy nutritional meals for £50. He does not say whether this was the food cost alone or included energy costs too.

2. The event obviously was able to purchase at wholesale prices, where as most households are not. So substantial maybe upto 50% savings.

3. The event took place in November 2021. The food price rise in April alone was 11%. Factor in electricity and gas price rises. My electricity bill alone has risen from £59 a month to nearly £300.

Anyone who believes Lee Anderson use of the 30p figure are either stupid or gullible, or both. Or maybe just partisan politics.

There is an inflation crisis going on especially in food and energy. I have associates in the hotels and restaurant businesses, they all say the same thing. Even though they are busy. They aren't able to make money because of rising costs. They can't or won't risk putting prices up each month like they probably need to do, to stay profitable.

This might have been a stupid comment by Lee Anderson or a very clever one. Because instead of talking about the actual crisis, we seem to talking about the 30p."

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"I wonder how much the food and drinks for Party Gate cost, and were they at taxpayers expense.

This might have been a stupid comment by Lee Anderson or a very clever one. Because instead of talking about the actual crisis, we seem to talking about the 30p."

I think stupid comment. His background suggest he actually gives a shit here. He quoted a number based on his experience may did banks but didn't, as you say, factor any adjustments into his numbers. I suspect he's pissed off ppl are focussing on this rather than the budgetimg side of his point or the work his food bank is doing.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

This might have been a stupid comment by Lee Anderson or a very clever one. Because instead of talking about the actual crisis, we seem to talking about the 30p.I think stupid comment. His background suggest he actually gives a shit here. He quoted a number based on his experience may did banks but didn't, as you say, factor any adjustments into his numbers. I suspect he's pissed off ppl are focussing on this rather than the budgetimg side of his point or the work his food bank is doing. "

I expect he is pissed off but not half as pissed off as the people who are genuinely frightened about what the near future holds for them. Many of those people will know how to budget and are very well able to cook from scratch but as Jack Monroe said in relation to this "the square root of fuck all is still fuck all".

You can cook from scratch all you like but if you're on a fixed income, your energy bill has doubled and your food bill has increased your 12 year old son grows out of his school trousers and shoes every 8 weeks and you need a winter coat what are you going to do? This is why people get angry at remarks such as this mp has made, it's patronising and assumes that anybody on a limited income is stupid

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

This might have been a stupid comment by Lee Anderson or a very clever one. Because instead of talking about the actual crisis, we seem to talking about the 30p.I think stupid comment. His background suggest he actually gives a shit here. He quoted a number based on his experience may did banks but didn't, as you say, factor any adjustments into his numbers. I suspect he's pissed off ppl are focussing on this rather than the budgetimg side of his point or the work his food bank is doing.

I expect he is pissed off but not half as pissed off as the people who are genuinely frightened about what the near future holds for them. Many of those people will know how to budget and are very well able to cook from scratch but as Jack Monroe said in relation to this "the square root of fuck all is still fuck all".

You can cook from scratch all you like but if you're on a fixed income, your energy bill has doubled and your food bill has increased your 12 year old son grows out of his school trousers and shoes every 8 weeks and you need a winter coat what are you going to do? This is why people get angry at remarks such as this mp has made, it's patronising and assumes that anybody on a limited income is stupid "

I'd need to rewatch the speach but I don't think that was the implication at all. More that budgeting can help some people. As could learning to cook... That could help some people. I don't think either of those positions are wrong or patronising.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

This might have been a stupid comment by Lee Anderson or a very clever one. Because instead of talking about the actual crisis, we seem to talking about the 30p.I think stupid comment. His background suggest he actually gives a shit here. He quoted a number based on his experience may did banks but didn't, as you say, factor any adjustments into his numbers. I suspect he's pissed off ppl are focussing on this rather than the budgetimg side of his point or the work his food bank is doing.

You can cook from scratch all you like but if you're on a fixed income, your energy bill has doubled and your food bill has increased your 12 year old son grows out of his school trousers and shoes every 8 weeks and you need a winter coat what are you going to do? This is why people get angry at remarks such as this mp has made, it's patronising and assumes that anybody on a limited income is stupid I'd need to rewatch the speach but I don't think that was the implication at all. More that budgeting can help some people. As could learning to cook... That could help some people. I don't think either of those positions are wrong or patronising. "

I could be wrong but I understood that the particular food bank he's associated with requires clients to sign up for the courses. I need to reread the speech too. But if I needed a food bank and they asked me to sign up for a budgeting and cookery course I'd feel insulted and patronised, unless they were asking me to teach it.

You can cook from scratch all you like but if you're on a fixed income, your energy bill has doubled and your food bill has increased your 12 year old son grows out of his school trousers and shoes every 8 weeks and you need a winter coat what are you going to do? This is why people get angry at remarks such as this mp has made, it's patronising and assumes that anybody on a limited income is stupid I'd need to rewatch the speach but I don't think that was the implication at all. More that budgeting can help some people. As could learning to cook... That could help some people. I don't think either of those positions are wrong or patronising. "

Sensible and achievable budget advice is a good idea, he provided neither

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

You can cook from scratch all you like but if you're on a fixed income, your energy bill has doubled and your food bill has increased your 12 year old son grows out of his school trousers and shoes every 8 weeks and you need a winter coat what are you going to do? This is why people get angry at remarks such as this mp has made, it's patronising and assumes that anybody on a limited income is stupid I'd need to rewatch the speach but I don't think that was the implication at all. More that budgeting can help some people. As could learning to cook... That could help some people. I don't think either of those positions are wrong or patronising.

I could be wrong but I understood that the particular food bank he's associated with requires clients to sign up for the courses. I need to reread the speech too. But if I needed a food bank and they asked me to sign up for a budgeting and cookery course I'd feel insulted and patronised, unless they were asking me to teach it. "

I believe that is true. It's a referral food bank so maybe that puts a different angle on it? Taking the position it is patronising, it sounds like its the fiood bank that's being patronising, and he's just the messenger.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

You can cook from scratch all you like but if you're on a fixed income, your energy bill has doubled and your food bill has increased your 12 year old son grows out of his school trousers and shoes every 8 weeks and you need a winter coat what are you going to do? This is why people get angry at remarks such as this mp has made, it's patronising and assumes that anybody on a limited income is stupid I'd need to rewatch the speach but I don't think that was the implication at all. More that budgeting can help some people. As could learning to cook... That could help some people. I don't think either of those positions are wrong or patronising.

I could be wrong but I understood that the particular food bank he's associated with requires clients to sign up for the courses. I need to reread the speech too. But if I needed a food bank and they asked me to sign up for a budgeting and cookery course I'd feel insulted and patronised, unless they were asking me to teach it. I believe that is true. It's a referral food bank so maybe that puts a different angle on it? Taking the position it is patronising, it sounds like its the fiood bank that's being patronising, and he's just the messenger. "

I agree the food bank is being patronising and he is the messenger but by passing the message on under the guise of government approval gives it credibility and is a sign of his support for it in my opinion.

I understand that all Trussell Trust food banks require a referral it's iniatives such as community pantries etc that don't.

By *9alMan  over a year ago

Bridgend

I cook most of my food from scratch & do not buy expansive ingredients I would struggle to produce a heathy nutritional balanced meal for less than £1, even beans on toast could cost more than 30p unless you can buy in bulk & store excess so not wasted

Maybe we should just live in a country where people don’t need to beg - at all, ever.

There are 1.3m jobs going begging. Why not beg for one of those. Companies are desperate. Most employers are snapping the hands off anyone with a pulse who isn’t barking at the moon! "

Why are you assuming those using food banks aren't already working?

Which bit of the criticism against Lee Andersen is unjust?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

There are 1.3m jobs going begging. Why not beg for one of those. Companies are desperate. Most employers are snapping the hands off anyone with a pulse who isn’t barking at the moon!

Why are you assuming those using food banks aren't already working? "

I suspect because along with "the poor are feckless" it's what those in power would have us believe.

Manchester

It’s true. Have a look on google and read the article of your choice to find out if it’s true or not. There are many, many people like that. "

I googled it and then read the governments library of actual statistics. It’s not true at all.

Turns out £1B is paid to jobseekers per year of which between 1.5% and 3% is suspected by the government to be fraud. So the claim there’s loads of them choosing to be on jobseekers is factually utter rubbish. The government themselves say virtually all claimants don’t choose to be on jobseekers.

So the legal jobseeker claimants total up to £1B. In comparison legal tax avoidance is between £2B and £6B depending on whether you include offshore U.K. dominions. Illegal tax evasion is estimated to be twice that of legal avoidance . So £4- 12B

Yes those fuckers ripping us off for £30m jobseekers really do need to try harder to catch up! It’s costing just less than 50p a year for each of us. The tax evaders however cost us at least £56 each.

The biggest loss to government in regards to benefits is a net £0.8B in over payments for pensions and housing benefit. Errors caused solely by by the benefits office and not claimants totalled over £8B in over payments and £2.5B in under payments . Obviously they attempt to recover the over payments and it was then reduced to a net of £0.8B

Google it yourself and read some “facts”.

Total benefits paid were £212B the majority of which goes to pensions then social healthcare disability etc followed by tax credits for low income workers and then housing benefit .

Jobseekers come at the end of a very long list.

To infer the country is awash with benefit cheats is just plain wrong and it is only portrayed as such by the bias media feeding into the prejudice of their readers. ie you.

Do you ever question your blind beliefs which you’ve been fed with by reading the actual reality?

Manchester

[Removed by poster at 14/05/22 15:00:00]

It’s true. Have a look on google and read the article of your choice to find out if it’s true or not. There are many, many people like that.

I googled it and then read the governments library of actual statistics. It’s not true at all.

Turns out £1B is paid to jobseekers per year of which between 1.5% and 3% is suspected by the government to be fraud. So the claim there’s loads of them choosing to be on jobseekers is factually utter rubbish. The government themselves say virtually all claimants don’t choose to be on jobseekers.

So the legal jobseeker claimants total up to £1B. In comparison legal tax avoidance is between £2B and £6B depending on whether you include offshore U.K. dominions. Illegal tax evasion is estimated to be twice that of legal avoidance . So £4- 12B

Yes those fuckers ripping us off for £30m jobseekers really do need to try harder to catch up! It’s costing just less than 50p a year for each of us. The tax evaders however cost us at least £56 each.

The biggest loss to government in regards to benefits is a net £0.8B in over payments for pensions and housing benefit. Errors caused solely by by the benefits office and not claimants totalled over £8B in over payments and £2.5B in under payments . Obviously they attempt to recover the over payments and it was then reduced to a net of £0.8B

Total benefits paid were £212B the majority of which goes to pensions then social healthcare disability etc followed by tax credits for low income workers and then housing benefit .

To infer the country is awash with benefit cheats is just plain wrong and it is only portrayed as such by the bias media feeding into the prejudice of their readers. ie you.

Do you ever question your blind beliefs which you’ve been fed with by reading the actual reality? "

Great stuff

Do you ever question your blind beliefs which you’ve been fed with by reading the actual reality? "

Yes...eh...but. When you were asked to Google it.... nobody actually thought you really would

Bristol

The defence of “just being the messenger” is absolutely what’s wrong with this government. Anyone could tell that the figure of 30p was ludicrous for a nutritional cooked meal and the sheer recklessness of stating that in parliament made him look foolish. There are so many useful idiots in thrall to Boris and he uses them to talk lies and half truths like the rags he used to work for. Despicable

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"The defence of “just being the messenger” is absolutely what’s wrong with this government. Anyone could tell that the figure of 30p was ludicrous for a nutritional cooked meal and the sheer recklessness of stating that in parliament made him look foolish. There are so many useful idiots in thrall to Boris and he uses them to talk lies and half truths like the rags he used to work for. Despicable "
I agree it was a silly number. But TBF, it appears he pulled that number from his experience with his food bank or homeless shelter. Of course, that's a sensible number to use. But I do feel this whole episode has come from a (ex labour) MP who appears to give a shit about the issue. Rather than a Boris shill.

Manchester

"The defence of “just being the messenger” is absolutely what’s wrong with this government. Anyone could tell that the figure of 30p was ludicrous for a nutritional cooked meal and the sheer recklessness of stating that in parliament made him look foolish. There are so many useful idiots in thrall to Boris and he uses them to talk lies and half truths like the rags he used to work for. Despicable I agree it was a silly number. But TBF, it appears he pulled that number from his experience with his food bank or homeless shelter. Of course, that's a sensible number to use. But I do feel this whole episode has come from a (ex labour) MP who appears to give a shit about the issue. Rather than a Boris shill. "

Turns out the figure is from when some professional cooks provided a meal for 150 people at the same time using cheap bulk purchase ingredients which calculated back to 30p .

So as long as you’re household has around 150 members you will be fine at 30p for one meal a day.

Although no mention was made of any other meals or energy use or in fact commercial ovens needed to provide so many meals .

Also not sure if housing benefit covers 150 people either???

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"The defence of “just being the messenger” is absolutely what’s wrong with this government. Anyone could tell that the figure of 30p was ludicrous for a nutritional cooked meal and the sheer recklessness of stating that in parliament made him look foolish. There are so many useful idiots in thrall to Boris and he uses them to talk lies and half truths like the rags he used to work for. Despicable I agree it was a silly number. But TBF, it appears he pulled that number from his experience with his food bank or homeless shelter. Of course, that's a sensible number to use. But I do feel this whole episode has come from a (ex labour) MP who appears to give a shit about the issue. Rather than a Boris shill.

Turns out the figure is from when some professional cooks provided a meal for 150 people at the same time using cheap bulk purchase ingredients which calculated back to 30p .

So as long as you’re household has around 150 members you will be fine at 30p for one meal a day.

Although no mention was made of any other meals or energy use or in fact commercial ovens needed to provide so many meals .

Also not sure if housing benefit covers 150 people either??? "

I agree. It was silly. It wasn't completely made up, and came from (I believe) him being involved with the issue. Doesn't make it less wrong. But isn't from being out of touch as tends to be put out there.

Jack Monroe has now said she will sue him (Anderson) for maligning her. Haha.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Jack Monroe has now said she will sue him (Anderson) for maligning her. Haha. "

She's notoriously protective of herself.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Jack Monroe has now said she will sue him (Anderson) for maligning her. Haha. "
that spat has no winners. What has Anderson's colour or gender have to do with this. And I do wonder who has the bigger bank balance ...

"Jack Monroe has now said she will sue him (Anderson) for maligning her. Haha. that spat has no winners. What has Anderson's colour or gender have to do with this. And I do wonder who has the bigger bank balance ...

"

When was his colour / gender mentioned?

"Jack Monroe has now said she will sue him (Anderson) for maligning her. Haha.

She's notoriously protective of herself. "

Good for her

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Jack Monroe has now said she will sue him (Anderson) for maligning her. Haha.

She's notoriously protective of herself.

Good for her "

Yep

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Jack Monroe has now said she will sue him (Anderson) for maligning her. Haha. that spat has no winners. What has Anderson's colour or gender have to do with this. And I do wonder who has the bigger bank balance ...

When was his colour / gender mentioned? "

The quote Ive just seen is she called him a "rich, white privileged male"

His retort (which I think is the libel) was

“I’m giving my time & my money to help the people in Ashfield. She’s taking money off some of the most vulnerable in society.”

“I’m giving my time & my money to help the people in Ashfield. She’s taking money off some of the most vulnerable in society.”"

She referred to men as there are several she's going after. And they are all of those things and decided to attack her - she's defending those that they're attacking and those most affected by austerity are not white and not men.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

“I’m giving my time & my money to help the people in Ashfield. She’s taking money off some of the most vulnerable in society.”

She referred to men as there are several she's going after. And they are all of those things and decided to attack her - she's defending those that they're attacking and those most affected by austerity are not white and not men. "

i don't have the context. I took at as being against an individual given man not men in the quote.

And look, I am not Tory, but I'm not sure how much she's seen his party and made a judgement, and not his background. I judged before I read about him and watched the speach. He's from a mining family. Not some Etonian.

Also, I've just read single male households are the most common household type to use food banks. I suspect that your point is more that the ones she is defending don't "look like" most Tory MPs. But thats part of why I'd be wary of calling out gender. imo it divides whereas we should be looking to work together to help here.

She referred to men as there are several she's going after. And they are all of those things and decided to attack her - she's defending those that they're attacking and those most affected by austerity are not white and not men. i don't have the context. I took at as being against an individual given man not men in the quote.

And look, I am not Tory, but I'm not sure how much she's seen his party and made a judgement, and not his background. I judged before I read about him and watched the speach. He's from a mining family. Not some Etonian.

Also, I've just read single male households are the most common household type to use food banks. I suspect that your point is more that the ones she is defending don't "look like" most Tory MPs. But thats part of why I'd be wary of calling out gender. imo it divides whereas we should be looking to work together to help here.

"

This goes back a few days and Anderson has been roundly criticised for saying that people don't need food banks, they just need to know how to budget and cook from scratch. She replied "You can’t cook meals from scratch with nothing. You can’t buy cheap food with nothing. The issue is not ‘skills’, it’s 12 years of Conservative cuts to social support."

She has been attacked by several Tory MPs before and surprise they're all white men. And earning £84K p.a. - doesn't matter what his background is. She is a food poverty campaigner. She knows her stuff and pointed out he was wrong and then he turns around and accuses her of taking advantage of vulnerable people. Fair dues.

She referred to men as there are several she's going after. And they are all of those things and decided to attack her - she's defending those that they're attacking and those most affected by austerity are not white and not men. i don't have the context. I took at as being against an individual given man not men in the quote.

This goes back a few days and Anderson has been roundly criticised for saying that people don't need food banks, they just need to know how to budget and cook from scratch. She replied "You can’t cook meals from scratch with nothing. You can’t buy cheap food with nothing. The issue is not ‘skills’, it’s 12 years of Conservative cuts to social support."

She has been attacked by several Tory MPs before and surprise they're all white men. And earning £84K p.a. - doesn't matter what his background is. She is a food poverty campaigner. She knows her stuff and pointed out he was wrong and then he turns around and accuses her of taking advantage of vulnerable people. Fair dues. "

It also doesn't matter whether he's a typical Tory MP. He has voted for austerity measures for 12 years. It's his party. He chose to stay with a party that has overseen the biggest rise in food poverty ever seen.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

She has been attacked by several Tory MPs before and surprise they're all white men. And earning £84K p.a. - doesn't matter what his background is. She is a food poverty campaigner. She knows her stuff and pointed out he was wrong and then he turns around and accuses her of taking advantage of vulnerable people. Fair dues. "

I absolutely agree that if you really care, aligning yourself with the Tories is like thinking you will lose weight while eating cake on a treadmill. There is plenty to attack him about his overall position being incongruent.

I'm not trying to defend him on the bigger picture here.

I do believe that budgeting is a key skill. As are some basic home skills. So I'm kinda aligned with some of his points. I don't believe everyone who is going to food banks is because they can't cook/budget (I don't think his point is this either).

Tbh, Id rather there was a lot more focus on the deeper reasons than debate how he got to 30p (wrongly), or if it's a tenner a week (a year ago) or if it's now 15 quid. As many have said we should be aiming a lot higher than this. Just surviving is a shitty low bar to aspire to.

She has been attacked by several Tory MPs before and surprise they're all white men. And earning £84K p.a. - doesn't matter what his background is. She is a food poverty campaigner. She knows her stuff and pointed out he was wrong and then he turns around and accuses her of taking advantage of vulnerable people. Fair dues. I absolutely agree that if you really care, aligning yourself with the Tories is like thinking you will lose weight while eating cake on a treadmill. There is plenty to attack him about his overall position being incongruent.

I do believe that budgeting is a key skill. As are some basic home skills. So I'm kinda aligned with some of his points. I don't believe everyone who is going to food banks is because they can't cook/budget (I don't think his point is this either).

Tbh, Id rather there was a lot more focus on the deeper reasons than debate how he got to 30p (wrongly), or if it's a tenner a week (a year ago) or if it's now 15 quid. As many have said we should be aiming a lot higher than this. Just surviving is a shitty low bar to aspire to. "

Any comments by Tories on food banks will get the same response. Others have said daft, divisive stuff. Food poverty is a reality for millions more in just a month after energy increases - yes, would be good to see some higher level discussion.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I think anyone with a modicum of forethought, political experience and common sense would have realised that comments of the type being discussed here would incite anger and upset.

Of course budgeting advice and help with cookery skills are useful for some people along with suggestions on how to keep warm and cut down on other living expenses. However being given this advice from people who are clearly in a very privileged position is never going to be well received whatever their background. I also feel that there is a subtle shift towards food banks being seen as the answer and somehow a government initiative rather than charitable while *still* demonising the people that use them as wasters who only need them due to their own failings

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

She has been attacked by several Tory MPs before and surprise they're all white men. And earning £84K p.a. - doesn't matter what his background is. She is a food poverty campaigner. She knows her stuff and pointed out he was wrong and then he turns around and accuses her of taking advantage of vulnerable people. Fair dues. I absolutely agree that if you really care, aligning yourself with the Tories is like thinking you will lose weight while eating cake on a treadmill. There is plenty to attack him about his overall position being incongruent.

Tbh, Id rather there was a lot more focus on the deeper reasons than debate how he got to 30p (wrongly), or if it's a tenner a week (a year ago) or if it's now 15 quid. As many have said we should be aiming a lot higher than this. Just surviving is a shitty low bar to aspire to.

Any comments by Tories on food banks will get the same response. Others have said daft, divisive stuff. Food poverty is a reality for millions more in just a month after energy increases - yes, would be good to see some higher level discussion. "

to twist the topic, what should HMG be doing. What levers would be effective quickly here ...

Bristol

Any comments by Tories on food banks will get the same response. Others have said daft, divisive stuff. Food poverty is a reality for millions more in just a month after energy increases - yes, would be good to see some higher level discussion. to twist the topic, what should HMG be doing. What levers would be effective quickly here ... "

Improving the amount of universal credit low earners or those on benefits receive….stopping frigging about with ludicrous rabble rousing bullshit to cover more sinister agendas (Rwanda, NI Protocol, criminalising the right to protest). Boris has surrounded himself with useful idiots to conceal his authoritarian agenda and his fellow right wing press corp are fooling the public to enable his plans. I am not some woke lefty rabble rouser btw but I see an agenda which is populist, nationalist and undemocratic at work here….watch the attack on the civil service being used as another method of removing people who know what they are talking about from government and reducing everything to stupid soundbites.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

^^

I've typed out several answers to the above but they all seem ridiculous.

Basically it needs money and a shift in attitude on both sides.

I don't have answers.

I've just been reading about the early 1800s where children's growth was stunted because of a sudden increase in poverty. Nothing ever changes

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"^^

I don't have answers.

I've just been reading about the early 1800s where children's growth was stunted because of a sudden increase in poverty. Nothing ever changes "

I'm similar. It's years of head in the sand miss management. Couoled with (it seems) increasing numbers of people willing to vote for miss management (and arguably voting to shoot themselves in the foot).

The trouble is it's very hard to row back from previously held positions .... So infeat for the next few years ...

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"^^

I don't have answers.

I've just been reading about the early 1800s where children's growth was stunted because of a sudden increase in poverty. Nothing ever changes I'm similar. It's years of head in the sand miss management. Couoled with (it seems) increasing numbers of people willing to vote for miss management (and arguably voting to shoot themselves in the foot).

The trouble is it's very hard to row back from previously held positions .... So infeat for the next few years ... "

Do you think it would help if they actually consulted with people like Jack Monroe? As I see it despite protestations to the contrary the people in charge are so far out of touch that enough barge poles to reach don't exist. Would getting people like her on side increase willingness to engage with some of the solutions being presented or even result in some workable ideas?

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"^^

I don't have answers.

I've just been reading about the early 1800s where children's growth was stunted because of a sudden increase in poverty. Nothing ever changes I'm similar. It's years of head in the sand miss management. Couoled with (it seems) increasing numbers of people willing to vote for miss management (and arguably voting to shoot themselves in the foot).

The trouble is it's very hard to row back from previously held positions .... So infeat for the next few years ...

Do you think it would help if they actually consulted with people like Jack Monroe? As I see it despite protestations to the contrary the people in charge are so far out of touch that enough barge poles to reach don't exist. Would getting people like her on side increase willingness to engage with some of the solutions being presented or even result in some workable ideas?

"

using people on the ground are certainly part of what's needed. They see the symptoms and will be able to call out of ideas have obvious holes. You also need other types of experts to make sure things are workable and don't have unintended consequences. I'd always go for diversity of thought in a collaborative environment as being the best approach. Unfortunately everyone tends to talk and no one listens. On all sides.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

^^ yep.

By *L RogueMan  over a year ago

London

Great. We've been really poor in our time and had a tiny food budget. It's boring, repetitive, dreary and soul destroying. I feel very sorry for anybody facing the prospect of this while being told by those in authority that it's ok. "

This.

Hard to find nutritional balance living on the same shit on different days.

It's shocking that people think that this is ok and justify it.

By *L RogueMan  over a year ago

London

It’s true. Have a look on google and read the article of your choice to find out if it’s true or not. There are many, many people like that. "

Tax evasion and avoidance is probably double/triple the amount in Benefit fraud.

But that's none of my business...

By *appy nakedMan  over a year ago

Merseyside

If an MP think’s you can eat for 30p then there’s no need to subsidise MP’s meals or drinks in the commons.

"If an MP think’s you can eat for 30p then there’s no need to subsidise MP’s meals or drinks in the commons. "

Someone who uses Twitter should twist his words into a new policy for MP expenses and spin it as something the same MP is advocating. See how they react to that

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Although she probably didn't actually say it the quote "Qu’ils mangent de la brioche” or "let them eat cake"

attributed to Marie Antoinette probably sums up the attitude I'm seeing from certain members of the government and probably goes some way to explaining the resistance to the advice they're giving

By *xposedInTheSunCouple  over a year ago

Cambridgeshire

Is that what she said when they ran out of burger buns?

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

30p/head is certainly an exaggeration but a meal can certainly be done for a lot less than a Deliveroo

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

"Although she probably didn't actually say it the quote "Qu’ils mangent de la brioche” or "let them eat cake"

attributed to Marie Antoinette probably sums up the attitude I'm seeing from certain members of the government and probably goes some way to explaining the resistance to the advice they're giving "

Well Carrie Antoinette did get her hubby some cake

» Add a new message to this topic