FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Free money for all!

Free money for all!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Do we really need this?

Why ‘waste’ taxpayer money giving everyone a dole out?

Why not give the poorer more and have a cutoff at the higher rate threshold (for example)?

Of just keep same and use less money?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"Do we really need this?

Why not give the poorer more and have a cutoff at the higher rate threshold (for example)?

Of just keep same and use less money? "

Is that not what they did with the council tax bands for receiving payment then?

"Do we really need this?

Of just keep same and use less money? Is that not what they did with the council tax bands for receiving payment then?"

I have no idea. Something about bend D. But not sure how that links to affordability and means.

By *mateur100Man  over a year ago

nr faversham

"Do we really need this?

Of just keep same and use less money? Is that not what they did with the council tax bands for receiving payment then?

I have no idea. Something about bend D. But not sure how that links to affordability and means. "

I'm inclined to agree but as with any cut-off point there's always someone who misses out and won't they let you know it!

Personally ai’d rather they had a means threshold and either reduced the tax ‘burden’ of the initiative or gave more to those who actually need it.

Paying for a week’s swimming pool heating for the well iff is a but pointless.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Printing money today = inflation = More pain in future.

I think the Tories gave fucked up again by giving everyone a handout.

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

"Do we really need this?

I think the energy bills part is for everyone regardless though May be wrong. On top of that there are lump sum payments to those on means tested benefits and pensions I think

"Do we really need this?

Of just keep same and use less money?

I think the energy bills part is for everyone regardless though May be wrong. On top of that there are lump sum payments to those on means tested benefits and pensions I think"

Reading further seems you’re right.

near ipswich

"Personally ai’d rather they had a means threshold and either reduced the tax ‘burden’ of the initiative or gave more to those who actually need it.

Paying for a week’s swimming pool heating for the well iff is a but pointless. "

so i guess like the tories you didnt go along with labours idea to cut VAT which as they said would benefit the rich as well as the poor.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

It's being paid to all, as this is more cost effective than trying to means test it.

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

People on benefit’s will automatically get it though their payments, the £400 will come in the form of discounted energy bills.

I think pre payment meter users will have to claim it but not too sure in that.

Energy companies could have done this up front without having to be made to

Bristol

Ah just read that pre payment meter users will have it automatically added to their account

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

"Personally ai’d rather they had a means threshold and either reduced the tax ‘burden’ of the initiative or gave more to those who actually need it.

Paying for a week’s swimming pool heating for the well iff is a but pointless. "

iv got to agree I think anything like this should be means tested same as buss pass tv license winter fuel payments and pensions

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

"Do we really need this?

There also the other big feckin failure, of an elephant in the room.

They are Windfalling only 25%, not 50%, 75% or 100% on the condition 25% is matched by North Sea Gas and Oil exploration. What the fuck happened to COP last year in Glasgow.

NOT A SINGLE mention that a single penny of these profits should be used against investnent in renewables.

It is a travesty that more fossil fuel is to be found and burnt when £7billion could supply a lot of Solar panels on the houses of those struggling with energy bills or Wind farms to reduce gas demand for Grid electricity generation and bring prices down.

They've got off lightly, especially as the money they've left them with, they get 91pence in the pound as a tax rebate - only if used to find more DinoFuel.

Complete bollox for the planet, our long term future and lowering the bills in the first place. Just keep giving handouts and not fix the problem.

"Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime."

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

"It's being paid to all, as this is more cost effective than trying to means test it."

I think if you’re on 45% tax rate you should be excluded. It’s not going to hurt higher incomes.

"People on benefit’s will automatically get it though their payments, the £400 will come in the form of discounted energy bills.

I think pre payment meter users will have to claim it but not too sure in that.

Energy companies could have done this up front without having to be made to "

I've just read something about prepayment metres and no it doesn't have to be claimed, It will either take the form of being added to the metre (smartmeters) or a voucher being sent.

Longridge

Why are pre payment meter users paying a disproportionate amount of Standing Charges in order for OFGEM to recoup the money they paid to cover the Credits racked up and lost through the bankruptcies of energy companies.

Wholly unfair that disadvantaged part of the population have to subsidise a higher proportion of the losses.

It should have been put on the KWh rate, not fixed daily charges.

A millionaire pays the same amount of Standing Charges, yet uses 10x the daily energy and paying less than those on pre-pay.

near ipswich

"It's being paid to all, as this is more cost effective than trying to means test it.

I think if you’re on 45% tax rate you should be excluded. It’s not going to hurt higher incomes. "

you can always give it to someone who needs it you don't have to keep it.

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Look at this, tories complaining about their own,, so you agree the slob must go? But for entirely different reasons to many other people?

Paying for a week’s swimming pool heating for the well iff is a but pointless. so i guess like the tories you didnt go along with labours idea to cut VAT which as they said would benefit the rich as well as the poor."

I honestly did not see the policy idea. But VAT does hit the poorest harder than the rich so I would in principle not have ideological discontent with reducing it essentials like food, clothing and fuel. Say lowering the rate to 10 or 15 percent but offsetting that by increasing the VAT Rate on non essentials.

Does that answer you question?

"It's being paid to all, as this is more cost effective than trying to means test it.

I think if you’re on 45% tax rate you should be excluded. It’s not going to hurt higher incomes. "

Precisely. If I had to fill in a form to claim I’d not bother would cost me more in time than they payment would be worth. I’d rather they gave the £400 I’d receive ri a more deserving family.

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

I think if you’re on 45% tax rate you should be excluded. It’s not going to hurt higher incomes. you can always give it to someone who needs it you don't have to keep it.

"

Yes absolutely I can and tell me something. Do you think the top 5% of earners will even notice they have it?

Longridge

[Removed by poster at 27/05/22 00:27:26]

"Why are pre payment meter users paying a disproportionate amount of Standing Charges in order for OFGEM to recoup the money they paid to cover the Credits racked up and lost through the bankruptcies of energy companies.

Wholly unfair that disadvantaged part of the population have to subsidise a higher proportion of the losses.

It should have been put on the KWh rate, not fixed daily charges.

A millionaire pays the same amount of Standing Charges, yet uses 10x the daily energy and paying less than those on pre-pay."

Standing charge is a scam. And it has gone up for all. It should be scrapped and the cost spread over the per unit consumption charge. It is a failing of BEIS, Ofgem, the government and the whole industry that the standing charge impacts all consumers as it impacts the poor to a far greater extent than the better off as it is a far higher proportion if their ‘energy’ spend. I’ve advocated to ministers and industry execs on more that one occasion that it should be scrapped!

Longridge

My energy bill for the whole year has just been slashed by 75% to £170.

Not sure how I'll find £170. Have to shake 'like pink piggy a little more..

If he scraps VAT, £160.

"My energy bill for the whole year has just been slashed by 75% to £170.

If he scraps VAT, £160."

What’s the point of this post? Are you having a wank every time your meter ticks over a Kw? This js about helping people with their bills. How is your post doing that?

By *itzi999Woman  over a year ago

Slough

"It's being paid to all, as this is more cost effective than trying to means test it."

This

This "

Exactly and it's the same with the Winter fuel allowance for pensioners.

This "

If that were true, why is it cost effective to have multiple tax rates.

Before you answer - consider that I’m asking from the perspective of having very detailed inside knowledge of the operational and IT systems involved in tax collection - having earnt a small fortune designing it

Longridge

If he scraps VAT, £160.

What’s the point of this post? Are you having a wank every time your meter ticks over a Kw? This js about helping people with their bills. How is your post doing that? "

Well, if someone told me their bills were £170 for the year, it would make me think..

"How the hell is he getting that"?

Might give others the incentive to do the same. I've put that info in other places tonight and meeting 11 people over the weekend to explain how I have a £170 annual bill.

Rather than wanking, I'd say I'd done a good job of helping others do exactly the same as me, so meeting to help them get it done. My meter doesn't move, so my balls would have exploded by next April with few KWs going through it!

Problem with some people, they need a shock to act instead of moaning.

It worked, you reacted - Hook, line and sinker.

Take that to the ministers, I've tried and they don't feckin listen. Introduce me, I have many solutions and all viable, including how to fund it at no cost to government and make it affordable.

Martin Lewis on YouTube tonight, again spouting his verbal name dropping diarrhoea, he told people to stay put in February. I put a post here saying go to Scottish Power, whether anyone listened- I have no idea - probably not.

Two family members of mine, took my advice and locked in in March. Not the best deal but £760 and £1200 they'll respectively save over the next 18 months based on OFGEMs announcement this week.

If anyone reading this wants to know how, my door is open. Drop me a line.

If he scraps VAT, £160.

What’s the point of this post? Are you having a wank every time your meter ticks over a Kw? This js about helping people with their bills. How is your post doing that?

Well, if someone told me their bills were £170 for the year, it would make me think..

"How the hell is he getting that"?

Might give others the incentive to do the same. I've put that info in other places tonight and meeting 11 people over the weekend to explain how I have a £170 annual bill.

Rather than wanking, I'd say I'd done a good job of helping others do exactly the same as me, so meeting to help them get it done. My meter doesn't move, so my balls would have exploded by next April with few KWs going through it!

Problem with some people, they need a shock to act instead of moaning.

It worked, you reacted - Hook, line and sinker.

Take that to the ministers, I've tried and they don't feckin listen. Introduce me, I have many solutions and all viable, including how to fund it at no cost to government and make it affordable.

Martin Lewis on YouTube tonight, again spouting his verbal name dropping diarrhoea, he told people to stay put in February. I put a post here saying go to Scottish Power, whether anyone listened- I have no idea - probably not.

Two family members of mine, took my advice and locked in in March. Not the best deal but £760 and £1200 they'll respectively save over the next 18 months based on OFGEMs announcement this week.

If anyone reading this wants to know how, my door is open. Drop me a line."

Your 2nd post was far more informative than your first. I’m not convinced people come to a swinging site for money tips though.

And energy is still dirt cheap - compared tk what it costs the planet. Coming from an architect of NETA

Longridge

You'd be amazed.. not many come to a this swingers site, to actually swing. More fun dogging than here.

Plenty advice given here for FREE where normally there is a consultation fee.

45% to 65% UK Electricity generated from Gas. Might be cheap to you, but for many, it's deadly.

3,000- 4,000 tonnes CO2 per hour for our electricity isn't exactly 'cheap' for our planet and Climate. I make no apologies as things need to change.

A post moaning about who gets, who doesn't get isn't exactly helping anyone.

If you really know ministers, then help me get to them, we'd change the world together.

Best hurry, as I'm getting to the "I'm OK, fuck everyone else that won't listen stage". As you read earlier, I'm OK. £720 per year was manageable, but £170 is frickin awesome.

Two changes coming this year, if I'd done it last year, my bill for this year would be -£280.

Kicking myself now.

Anyway, time to go pull one off.

"You'd be amazed.. not many come to a this swingers site, to actually swing. More fun dogging than here.

Plenty advice given here for FREE where normally there is a consultation fee.

45% to 65% UK Electricity generated from Gas. Might be cheap to you, but for many, it's deadly.

3,000- 4,000 tonnes CO2 per hour for our electricity isn't exactly 'cheap' for our planet and Climate. I make no apologies as things need to change.

A post moaning about who gets, who doesn't get isn't exactly helping anyone.

If you really know ministers, then help me get to them, we'd change the world together.

Best hurry, as I'm getting to the "I'm OK, fuck everyone else that won't listen stage". As you read earlier, I'm OK. £720 per year was manageable, but £170 is frickin awesome.

Two changes coming this year, if I'd done it last year, my bill for this year would be -£280.

Kicking myself now.

Anyway, time to go pull one off."

You’ll only get to the minister through lobbyists. I used to work in the industry back in the day when they were lobbying fir deregulation, the dash for gash and all that. Know all the info you’re sharing. For those in the know it is old news. Decades old.

It is very good info you’re sharing btw. Can’t argue with it to be fair. Govt won’t budge until they get their cut or those that call the shots get their. Always been the way with energy. After all it is the rooot of the economy.

Energy cannot be created or destroyed only changed. So those that control it have absolute power. No pun intended.

I’ve given up that game as the game has moved on. Tech now has the power that old energy used to have. So that is where the bug game is at.

Longridge

Energy cannot be created or destroyed only changed..

There's only one problem with TriassicFuel, it's releasing the very same gas that was locked up millions of years ago that let life flourish on our planet.

Is destroying our planet really 'cheap'?

Don't quite subscribe to the old news. Many listen to self righteous muppets like Martin Lewis who still claims Solar has 35yr payback, batteries 12yrs, and devalues your property when real world experience of using it and exporting nothing has significant effects on bills.

There are a few in the know, but unfortunately, these you see driving around with panels on their roofs. The rest are either ignorant, uninformed, believe what they are told or just simply don't know or realise the potential.

At today's rates, payback on my system is 12 years, but with a caveat- nominally, people have 5kw 13kw of batteries where I have 40kw. If I had 5kw, payback would be 4 to 5yrs, then another 30yrs free energy.

In my area, less than 1% of roofs have panels on, that would be so much different if they knew the true figures, hence I will be telling many over the next few weeks of the £170 bill I face this year.

Many -ve comments here like obsolete technology, panels damage the planet - yet, I see the results everytime I load up the app to whack one off.

Things have changed as it appears this 'obsolete technology' plus new is going to take me well into retirement, paying good money along the way sharing with others what I've learnt- then they'll be less time for here.

Great news, I hear. Saying that, most of the time I'm here I am sat in dark car parks with radio on hoping to get lucky.

As Lavrov famously said of Liz Truss - not sure can't repeat it.

Anyway:

Never "ASSUME" as one day it may make an ASS out of U and ME!!

Grantham

If he scraps VAT, £160."

Can we assume that you'll give your £400 to charity then?

Grantham

The charity, Natonal Energy Action, will welcome all donations from those who wish to donate.

[Removed by poster at 27/05/22 05:50:18]

near ipswich

Paying for a week’s swimming pool heating for the well iff is a but pointless. so i guess like the tories you didnt go along with labours idea to cut VAT which as they said would benefit the rich as well as the poor.

I honestly did not see the policy idea. But VAT does hit the poorest harder than the rich so I would in principle not have ideological discontent with reducing it essentials like food, clothing and fuel. Say lowering the rate to 10 or 15 percent but offsetting that by increasing the VAT Rate on non essentials.

Does that answer you question? "

There is no vat on food

By *onghMan  over a year ago

cardiff

All food? Really?

By *rDiscretionXXXMan  over a year ago

Gilfach

"Many -ve comments here like obsolete technology, panels damage the planet ..."

Nobody here is commenting that solar panels are obsolete, or damaging the planet.

The only reason that we don't all have them is that they're expensive.

Gilfach

"Why are pre payment meter users paying a disproportionate amount of Standing Charges in order for OFGEM to recoup the money they paid to cover the Credits racked up and lost through the bankruptcies of energy companies."

Where do you get that idea?

Not the bit about pre-payment users paying higher standing charges, but the idea that it's because OfGem are taking the money.

By *ulaMan  over a year ago

Hitchin

If you don't want or need the money the tax people will happily take it back.

"If you don't want or need the money the tax people will happily take it back."

You must be livid with the Tories now

Longridge

If he scraps VAT, £160.

Can we assume that you'll give your £400 to charity then? "

Nope.

It's going towards the £750 car charger I've just paid for that will put all surplus into the car.

Yes, it's cheap but not without up-front costs to get to this stage.

near ipswich

"If you don't want or need the money the tax people will happily take it back.

You must be livid with the Tories now "

why would he be? its good news

Longridge

"Why are pre payment meter users paying a disproportionate amount of Standing Charges in order for OFGEM to recoup the money they paid to cover the Credits racked up and lost through the bankruptcies of energy companies.

Where do you get that idea?

Not the bit about pre-payment users paying higher standing charges, but the idea that it's because OfGem are taking the money."

If you take a moment to understand the energy market, that's corrupt and broken - people really should check the facts before putting out wild statements..

When companies went to the wall last year, many accounts were in credit. This 'credit loss' has to be covered by OFGEM and given to the new energy company to compensate customers. This meant no customer lost any built up credit during the transfer.

The issue: OFGEM then have to then recover this money and it is via Standing Charges, not a surcharge on KW rate so those that use more, contribute more. There should also be a limit of how much credit an account can be allowed to have as its everyone else that ends up repaying it.

This was then put on the backs of those already struggling to pay their bills. So, if you were in credit, to stop you loosing out, others with less means disproportionately pay more to compensate.

Another question, why did London getting away with 2/3rds the cost of standing charges than the rest of the country? "Search Octopus Rates Table"

It's not an idea, it's fact and darn right unfair we ALL have to pick up the tab, moreso Pre-Pay customers. This is why BULB was bailed out, as it would have ran into £billions and the government shit themselves:

----------

When the energy price cap rises on Friday, most households will face an increase of at least 80% in the standing charges they pay for electricity, with much of the extra cost a result of the failure of 30 suppliers during 2021.

The standing charge is applied daily, and is charged regardless of how much energy the customer uses.

In a letter to Ofgem, Fuel Poverty Action said the poorest consumers were “paying for negligent policymaking”, and that the “injustice of the standing charge must urgently be addressed”.

The Fuel Poverty Action co-director, Ruth London, said: “Why have Ofgem decided to make the poorest customers pay for their bad decisions and for bad practice in the industry? This huge injustice must be urgently reversed.”

She added: “Prepayment meters are another way that people with the least resources – and often with the leakiest, most poorly insulated homes – are forced to pay the highest price for fuel.

You must be livid with the Tories now why would he be? its good news"

I agree, it is good news . But Dula kept staying it was such a bad idea, in fact many tory MPs are against the idea as well

Longridge

Later on in the year, my boiler's being converted to LPG as for what little I use and I want assured supply off-grid due to potential shortages in Winter.

I'm NOT prepared to pay extortionate Standing Charges (50% off my gas bill) to contribute to to other people's failures.

They can go screw themselves as ain't subscribing to that crap.

Longridge

[Removed by poster at 27/05/22 11:35:37]

Longridge

"Many -ve comments here like obsolete technology, panels damage the planet ...

Nobody here is commenting that solar panels are obsolete, or damaging the planet- some have!!

The only reason that we don't all have them is that they're expensive."

I get that. But if Johnson pulled his big finger out if his arse and took additional Windfall funds to 50% to set up £7billion Solar / Battery buying scheme.

I assume you understand how Student Loans work? Government covers the cost of the expensive Solar, install second Meter. Submit two meter readings and pay bill as normal.

However, the bill has two elements.

Solar - rated at cheaper KW, say 12p to 15p/kwp.

Grid - rated at 28p to 42p/kw

You pay the "cheaper" bill, but the payment of the Solar part is paid back to the government pot. After 7 to 10 years, you get a congratulations letter saying you've covered the initial cost and from then on, only pay for Grid supplied energy.

Self funding, no hand outs, benefits Climate change and reduces bills if use high demand appliances during the day.

That's exactly how I paid for mine. Offset savings against a cheap loan and paid for in 5yrs and that was when electricity was 5p/kw.

Otherwise, stick £7k on a loan, balance transfer Credit Card or put on mortgage. The government should be supporting (not paying for) such a scheme though.

Gilfach

"Why are pre payment meter users paying a disproportionate amount of Standing Charges in order for OFGEM to recoup the money they paid to cover the Credits racked up and lost through the bankruptcies of energy companies."

"Where do you get that idea?

... the idea that it's because OfGem are taking the money."

"When companies went to the wall last year, many accounts were in credit. This 'credit loss' has to be covered by OFGEM and given to the new energy company to compensate customers. ... The issue: OFGEM then have to then recover this money ..."

OfGem don't take any money from the companies.

The way it works is that OfGem choose a "supplier of last resort" to handle the customers of those companies that went bust. That SoLR then claims a "Last Resort Supplier Payment" from the distribution companies, who increase their charges to the energy suppliers, who pass it on to the customers.

So we both agree on the end effect, just not on the mechanism.

"Another question, why did London getting away with 2/3rds the cost of standing charges than the rest of the country?"

Because London is densely packed. People being close to each other means that the distribution companies need a lot less cable, and that each piece of infrastructure gets fully utilised.

That's also why pre-pay customers pay higher standing charges, because the companies have to provide the infrastructure to monitor, deplete, and refill the pre-pay mechanism in real time.

I agree with you that pre-pay charges are higher, and that this hits the worst off more heavily, and that we should do something about that. But the idea that pre-pay customers are paying a disproportionate standing charge because of bankrupt energy suppliers is just wrong.

Gilfach

"I get that. But if Johnson pulled his big finger out if his arse and took additional Windfall funds to 50% to set up £7billion Solar / Battery buying scheme."

That's a good idea.

One problem I can see with it is that, if the government is paying the up-front fees, there will be huge demand, and we don't have enough suppliers at the moment.

The other problem is that many people have higher energy usage than you do. For an average family the pay-off time really is closer to 25 years. There will be a lot of people that only just finish paying for it by the time it's worn out and due for replacement.

Longridge

Standing Charges cover the losses of handing over customers to new suppliers, including and Credits that were lost with the previous company failing.

The value is then spread across every other bill payer ad Standing Charges. Don't make up answers, it is on OFGEMs website and in documents sent to me in regard a complaints against Octopus, who'd mislead pricing in an email.

When you wake up to the fact you are paying someone else's compensation - you'll start to get pissed as to why you're paying £75 per year extra for other people's failures.

Google is your friend.

https://www-express-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.express.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/1588395/Martin-Lewis-energy-standing-charge-gas-electricity-bills/amp?amp_gsa=1&_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D

In respect to lack of the scheme, £7billion will put Solar on 1 Million homes, setup training and help people get those "better paying" jobs the government want us to. A carousel of payments and repayment, reinvesting the money vying returned. If there isn't enough money, snatch more offvthe energy companies. Always a reason not to, a barrier, a negative. No wonder this world's so phucked up.

Do we just give up as unworkable then, or make a start?

Longridge

Anyway..

I am OK - not wasting time on nitty gritty, need to go plug car in as Sun's come out and want to drive some free miles over the weekend.

near ipswich

"Anyway..

I am OK - not wasting time on nitty gritty, need to go plug car in as Sun's come out and want to drive some free miles over the weekend."

Still enjoying all those free NHS covid tests you stocked up on before having to buy them too ?

Gilfach

"Standing Charges cover the losses of handing over customers to new suppliers, including and Credits that were lost with the previous company failing."

That's a misleading statement.

Standing charges were originally a mechanism for the Distribution Network Operator (DNO) to recover the costs of supplying and maintaining the network. This means paying for cables, sub-stations, overhead lines, meter reading etc.

When the energy supply market was opened up, customers no longer went directly to their DNO, they chose an energy supplier instead. That means that the DNOs now charge the energy suppliers for the hard infrastructure (cables and sub-stations), and the energy supplier adds its own costs for services (meter reading and billing). That's what the service charge is for.

In addition to all that, DNOs pay to support the Supplier of Last Resort scheme, and they add the fees for that to their charges to the energy suppliers.

So yes, Standing Charges do cover the losses of handing over customers, but that's not their primary purpose.

"Don't make up answers"

I'm not the one making it up. Here's a link to an NPower site which explains the SoLR system: https://npowerbusinesssolutions.com/resources/energy-company-failures-last-resort-supplier-payment

"it is on OFGEMs website"

Where? Give us a link.

"Google is your friend.

https://www-express-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.express.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/1588395/Martin-Lewis-energy-standing-charge-gas-electricity-bills/amp?amp_gsa=1&_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D"

That link doesn't work. I'm assuming that you mean this story: https://www.express.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/1588395/Martin-Lewis-energy-standing-charge-gas-electricity-bills

If so, you'll find that it contains the words "This is because the standing charge covers the cost of the supplying of gas and electricity to a person’s property".

So, standing charges are to cover the cost of supplying the energy. One part of that cost, but not most of it, is to cover customers whose suppliers went bust.

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

This

Exactly and it's the same with the Winter fuel allowance for pensioners. "

how can it be more cost effective than trying to means test it’s 2022 ffs

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

that'll cover the repayment of the ompulsary loan that evryone was forced to take then. more robbing of peter to pay paul.

Hitchin

You must be livid with the Tories now why would he be? its good news

I agree, it is good news . But Dula kept staying it was such a bad idea, in fact many tory MPs are against the idea as well "

You're right I think its a bad idea but it's done now so either use it or pay it back everyone has a choice,but what he does people moan there never Happy.

I agree, it is good news . But Dula kept staying it was such a bad idea, in fact many tory MPs are against the idea as well

You're right I think its a bad idea but it's done now so either use it or pay it back everyone has a choice,but what he does people moan there never Happy. "

I will spend mine wisely

The windfall tax is a one-time tax payment whereas people's gas and electric bills are continuous...

Woul be better spent by insulating houses for those who need it

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

You're right I think its a bad idea but it's done now so either use it or pay it back everyone has a choice,but what he does people moan there never Happy.

I will spend mine wisely "

Classic furniture from Holland, rugby tickets or malt whisky ????

Longridge

"The windfall tax is a one-time tax payment whereas people's gas and electric bills are continuous...

Woul be better spent by insulating houses for those who need it"

Although I agree. The biggest saving of £1000's is elsewhere and most are already done.

Cutting Grid reliance is the key for many.

Longridge

"Standing Charges cover the losses of handing over customers to new suppliers, including and Credits that were lost with the previous company failing.

Standing charges were originally a mechanism for the Distribution Network Operator (DNO) to recover the costs of supplying and maintaining the network. This means paying for cables, sub-stations, overhead lines, meter reading etc.

When the energy supply market was opened up, customers no longer went directly to their DNO, they chose an energy supplier instead. That means that the DNOs now charge the energy suppliers for the hard infrastructure (cables and sub-stations), and the energy supplier adds its own costs for services (meter reading and billing). That's what the service charge is for.

In addition to all that, DNOs pay to support the Supplier of Last Resort scheme, and they add the fees for that to their charges to the energy suppliers.

So yes, Standing Charges do cover the losses of handing over customers, but that's not their primary purpose.

Don't make up answers

I'm not the one making it up. Here's a link to an NPower site which explains the SoLR system: https://npowerbusinesssolutions.com/resources/energy-company-failures-last-resort-supplier-payment

it is on OFGEMs website

Where? Give us a link.

Google is your friend.

https://www-express-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.express.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/1588395/Martin-Lewis-energy-standing-charge-gas-electricity-bills/amp?amp_gsa=1&_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D

That link doesn't work. I'm assuming that you mean this story: https://www.express.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/1588395/Martin-Lewis-energy-standing-charge-gas-electricity-bills

If so, you'll find that it contains the words "This is because the standing charge covers the cost of the supplying of gas and electricity to a person’s property".

So, standing charges are to cover the cost of supplying the energy. One part of that cost, but not most of it, is to cover customers whose suppliers went bust."

It would be an inflation rise if not for millions in reimbursements.

Think I'll give up on this one..

Ofgem has been urged to stop alleged ‘discriminatory policies’ over standing charges.

Campaigners from Fuel Poverty Action have sent a letter to the energy regulator claiming the administrative costs of taking on customers from failed energy suppliers, which are loaded on the standing charge element of energy bills, put lives at further risk.

Hitchin

I will spend mine wisely "

How ?

I will spend mine wisely

How ?"

Baby milk powder.

Hitchin

I will spend mine wisely

How ?

Baby milk powder."

Wrong country

Bristol

"Standing Charges cover the losses of handing over customers to new suppliers, including and Credits that were lost with the previous company failing.

Don't make up answers

it is on OFGEMs website

Where? Give us a link.

Google is your friend.

So, standing charges are to cover the cost of supplying the energy. One part of that cost, but not most of it, is to cover customers whose suppliers went bust."

Yup you can sit in the dark and freeze your nutz off with everything turned off at the mains and they still charge you for it

just another way of scamming you out of youre cash.

They could quite easily combine that standing charge into the cost of the product but will not because its garanteed money.

Longridge

And be much fairer when it comes to paying back losses. Use more contribute more.

My mother's paying 42p per day Electricity Standing Charge.

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

"Do we really need this?

This government has to be able to sell their socialism to their base.

The way they do that is by giving them something, too. The way you get a gift for the sibling whose birthday it isn't, to prevent a tantrum. Pretty childish stuff - but they know it works for their tribe.

The faithful have to believe that their needs are still - and always will be - more important than those of the poor.

Luckily for them, they have a government that very much believes that is true.

Quite a few Tory MPs are outraged that their leaders are taxing the profiteers, in order to help the poor avoid even deeper poverty - and even hunger - due to a lack of means; which, in no way, is their own fault.

It's not difficult to hold them in contempt for that, alone - never mind their unwillingness to vote Boris out of office.

Gilfach

"And be much fairer when it comes to paying back losses. Use more contribute more."

The more people you have in a house, the more electricity you use. Your scheme would mean that families would have to pay more, while a rich couple would pay less. And the rich couple would pay nothing at all on their second home.

Is that fairer?

Hitchin

So wind fall tax is 5 billion ÷ that by 70 million people ok more like 90 million and its how much per person?

"So wind fall tax is 5 billion ÷ that by 70 million people ok more like 90 million and its how much per person?"

Where do you get 70 and 90m from?

Gilfach

"So wind fall tax is 5 billion ÷ that by 70 million people ok more like 90 million and its how much per person?"

"Where do you get 70 and 90m from? "

The good old, always reliable, ONS estimated the population to be 67,081,000 in 2020. It's currently rising, so 70m isn't a terrible guess.

My question is why is he asking for someone else to do the simple maths for him?

» Add a new message to this topic