FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > A question about the eu

A question about the eu

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ostafun OP   Man  over a year ago

near ipswich

If as i have been told on here numerous times that every country in the eu has the power over their own country why has the eu had to compromise over banning russian oil? They are only banning oil arriving by sea because Hungary objected to it being banned arriving through a pipeline.Why is not every individual country banning it through a pipeline if they have the power to do that and saying to Hungary you do what you want? Is it a case its an easy excuse for the eu to carry on importing or a case of them bowing to something they dont want to keep "the integrity" of the EU?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Tbh, not read much on this yet, but bbc suggests that Germany and Poland have volunteered to wind down their pipeline imports

BBC News - Russian oil: EU agrees compromise deal on banning imports

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61638860

I'd that what you were hoping for ?

near ipswich

"Tbh, not read much on this yet, but bbc suggests that Germany and Poland have volunteered to wind down their pipeline imports

I'd that what you were hoping for ?"

Im not hoping for anything personally i just wanted someone who kept telling me that eu countries governments still had the power over their countries why they are bowing to Hungary and not putting a total ban on it.Its a simple question nothing more.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Tbh, not read much on this yet, but bbc suggests that Germany and Poland have volunteered to wind down their pipeline imports

I'd that what you were hoping for ?Im not hoping for anything personally i just wanted someone who kept telling me that eu countries governments still had the power over their countries why they are bowing to Hungary and not putting a total ban on it.Its a simple question nothing more."

from what I can see, it looks like they do.

near ipswich

I'd that what you were hoping for ?Im not hoping for anything personally i just wanted someone who kept telling me that eu countries governments still had the power over their countries why they are bowing to Hungary and not putting a total ban on it.Its a simple question nothing more.from what I can see, it looks like they do. "

It seems to me because putin has a friendly country in the EU that country can basically make the eu compromise and not do exactly what it wants otherwise pipeline imports would have been banned too or am i missing something? or maybe its just a good excuse not to inconvenience themselves too much.Anyway the point is if individual countries have the power why dont they do it and say fuck you hungary you do what you want?

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

I'd that what you were hoping for ?Im not hoping for anything personally i just wanted someone who kept telling me that eu countries governments still had the power over their countries why they are bowing to Hungary and not putting a total ban on it.Its a simple question nothing more.from what I can see, it looks like they do. It seems to me because putin has a friendly country in the EU that country can basically make the eu compromise and not do exactly what it wants otherwise pipeline imports would have been banned too or am i missing something? or maybe its just a good excuse not to inconvenience themselves too much.Anyway the point is if individual countries have the power why dont they do it and say fuck you hungary you do what you want? "

isn't that what Germany and Poland are doing?

The countries kicking up a fuss are the ones that have a big reliance on Russia due to being landlocked and next door.

It's easy to take the moral high ground when only a small amount comes from Russia. And the cynic in me says that decision was driven by geography not morality.

And from what I can see, our pledge to remove Russia from our imports is on the same time sacked as those with a larger reliance.

And I can't see how different the outcome would be if each country made a load of individual decisions here. I suspect the EU will say the upside is they can manage depand faulry across their members. Rather than each country negotiating new deals with new suppliers and so driving costs and prices up. They probably can turn to Norway too ... Irrc there is a priority trigger under membership.

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

[Removed by poster at 31/05/22 11:09:53]

Manchester

They can all do as they like which is why Hungary are doing just that.

The message to Putin would have been far better from a united front don’t you agree?

Just as sone Russian soldiers breaking ranks and refusing to fight can give the impression there are underlying issues with the Russian army when in fact it’s just ‘some’ soldiers don’t want to fight . The army is still dying though isn’t it.

near ipswich

"They can all do as they like which is why Hungary are doing just that.

The message to Putin would have been far better from a united front don’t you agree?

Just as sone Russian soldiers breaking ranks and refusing to fight can give the impression there are underlying issues with the Russian army when in fact it’s just ‘some’ soldiers don’t want to fight . The army is still dying though isn’t it. "

So why are the other countries not doing what they want why havnt they put a total ban on Russian energy ? it seems to me they cant all for the sake of the EU mantra "unity"

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Just as sone Russian soldiers breaking ranks and refusing to fight can give the impression there are underlying issues with the Russian army when in fact it’s just ‘some’ soldiers don’t want to fight . The army is still dying though isn’t it. So why are the other countries not doing what they want why havnt they put a total ban on Russian energy ? it seems to me they cant all for the sake of the EU mantra "unity""

you're making this claim they haven't. Yet the article I linked to suggested Germany and Poland had. Why do you think this is the most any that country is doing ? Or that the EU are preventing countries from going further ?

near ipswich

I'd that what you were hoping for ?Im not hoping for anything personally i just wanted someone who kept telling me that eu countries governments still had the power over their countries why they are bowing to Hungary and not putting a total ban on it.Its a simple question nothing more.from what I can see, it looks like they do. It seems to me because putin has a friendly country in the EU that country can basically make the eu compromise and not do exactly what it wants otherwise pipeline imports would have been banned too or am i missing something? or maybe its just a good excuse not to inconvenience themselves too much.Anyway the point is if individual countries have the power why dont they do it and say fuck you hungary you do what you want? isn't that what Germany and Poland are doing?

The countries kicking up a fuss are the ones that have a big reliance on Russia due to being landlocked and next door.

It's easy to take the moral high ground when only a small amount comes from Russia. And the cynic in me says that decision was driven by geography not morality.

And from what I can see, our pledge to remove Russia from our imports is on the same time sacked as those with a larger reliance.

And I can't see how different the outcome would be if each country made a load of individual decisions here. I suspect the EU will say the upside is they can manage depand faulry across their members. Rather than each country negotiating new deals with new suppliers and so driving costs and prices up. They probably can turn to Norway too ... Irrc there is a priority trigger under membership. "

why would they worry about negotiating a good price as a group if they were putting a total ban on it,we are only talking about oil here the eu will have a much bigger disagreement when it comes to gas.All russia will do is up the supply through its pipelines which are not running at full capacity to compensate for the ban on ships.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

I'd that what you were hoping for ?Im not hoping for anything personally i just wanted someone who kept telling me that eu countries governments still had the power over their countries why they are bowing to Hungary and not putting a total ban on it.Its a simple question nothing more.from what I can see, it looks like they do. It seems to me because putin has a friendly country in the EU that country can basically make the eu compromise and not do exactly what it wants otherwise pipeline imports would have been banned too or am i missing something? or maybe its just a good excuse not to inconvenience themselves too much.Anyway the point is if individual countries have the power why dont they do it and say fuck you hungary you do what you want? isn't that what Germany and Poland are doing?

And I can't see how different the outcome would be if each country made a load of individual decisions here. I suspect the EU will say the upside is they can manage depand faulry across their members. Rather than each country negotiating new deals with new suppliers and so driving costs and prices up. They probably can turn to Norway too ... Irrc there is a priority trigger under membership. why would they worry about negotiating a good price as a group if they were putting a total ban on it,we are only talking about oil here the eu will have a much bigger disagreement when it comes to gas.All russia will do is up the supply through its pipelines which are not running at full capacity to compensate for the ban on ships."

I meant new prices with new non russian suppliers.

But again, if countries like Germany and Poland are stopping pipeline imports as well, what benefit is there to russia in piling more thru pipes. Outside a few dependant countries, no one will be buying.

I agree gas will be a bigger challenge. But I wonder how the outcome will be different to if there was no EU.

Manchester

Just as sone Russian soldiers breaking ranks and refusing to fight can give the impression there are underlying issues with the Russian army when in fact it’s just ‘some’ soldiers don’t want to fight . The army is still dying though isn’t it. So why are the other countries not doing what they want why havnt they put a total ban on Russian energy ? it seems to me they cant all for the sake of the EU mantra "unity""

You’re arguing against yourself! The fact is the EU isn’t a dictatorship so if a country wants to ban oil they can if they don’t then they don’t have to.

The fact they “chose” to act together is a sign of a unified message.

Bit like family sticking together even though they all know grandad shouted racist comments in the pub they talk louder or keep quiet but act differently.

They may not agree with grandad and can walk out to do their own thing but acting as one is better don’t you agree?

Do you really think Boris would have sent weapons to the Ukraine quite so quickly if he hadn’t spoken to the Americans first?

Unified message but different speeds and levels of support but the same message from two independent countries.

That’s the way

near ipswich

Just as sone Russian soldiers breaking ranks and refusing to fight can give the impression there are underlying issues with the Russian army when in fact it’s just ‘some’ soldiers don’t want to fight . The army is still dying though isn’t it. So why are the other countries not doing what they want why havnt they put a total ban on Russian energy ? it seems to me they cant all for the sake of the EU mantra "unity"

You’re arguing against yourself! The fact is the EU isn’t a dictatorship so if a country wants to ban oil they can if they don’t then they don’t have to.

The fact they “chose” to act together is a sign of a unified message.

Bit like family sticking together even though they all know grandad shouted racist comments in the pub they talk louder or keep quiet but act differently.

They may not agree with grandad and can walk out to do their own thing but acting as one is better don’t you agree?

Do you really think Boris would have sent weapons to the Ukraine quite so quickly if he hadn’t spoken to the Americans first?

Unified message but different speeds and levels of support but the same message from two independent countries.

That’s the way "

Im not arguing against myself im asking a question which no one seems to have answered and that is why has the eu had to compromise on its oil ban because of Hungary? surly if they all can make independent decisions on there own country why are they bowing down to them. Putin must be loving it seeing how one friendly country can fuck the other 26 wishes.Wait for the chaos when they start a convention on gas supplies.

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

"If as i have been told on here numerous times that every country in the eu has the power over their own country why has the eu had to compromise over banning russian oil? They are only banning oil arriving by sea because Hungary objected to it being banned arriving through a pipeline.Why is not every individual country banning it through a pipeline if they have the power to do that and saying to Hungary you do what you want? Is it a case its an easy excuse for the eu to carry on importing or a case of them bowing to something they dont want to keep "the integrity" of the EU? "

On the BBC article it seems some of the problem is that if Hungary continue to get Russian oil and the rest have to find new suppliers it could give Hungary an economic advantage over their fellow EU members. It seems the Russian oil is cheaper as it just goes through the pipe where as getting it from places like Saudi means paying shipping on top. Lots of spin all around so not easy at all. I did see Hungary claiming this is their victory over the EU but suspect that's just bluster

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

"If as i have been told on here numerous times that every country in the eu has the power over their own country why has the eu had to compromise over banning russian oil? They are only banning oil arriving by sea because Hungary objected to it being banned arriving through a pipeline.Why is not every individual country banning it through a pipeline if they have the power to do that and saying to Hungary you do what you want? Is it a case its an easy excuse for the eu to carry on importing or a case of them bowing to something they dont want to keep "the integrity" of the EU? "

Every EU country is free to purchase oil from whomsoever they wish.

However, all of the EU nations including those that were costing up to Russia have decided, together, that an invasion of a neighbouring state is not acceptable and represents a threat to the EU.

They therefore want to act together to have maximum impact. Just like a union does in wage negotiations.

Working together to achieve a common goal requires compromise.

What do you not understand about that?

» Add a new message to this topic