It’s an Irish takeover

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *oo hot OP   Couple  over a year ago

North West

[Removed by poster at 22/06/22 20:07:59]

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

North West

Astonishing reporting by the Independent.

In 2016, 47 MP’s and Lord’s held Irish passports as well as British one’s.

By 2021 there were 227 and incredibly this year there are 321 with Irish passports.

Is it a velvet takeover of our political institutions by the Irish? Or is it the high and mighty making sure that unlike us mere Plebs - they get to retain the benefits of being in the EU??

It’s a strange one.

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

So much for working for te people.

Fuck you I’m alright Jack . I can have free movement but you plebs can’t.

North West

"So much for working for te people.

Fuck you I’m alright Jack . I can have free movement but you plebs can’t. "

Unless it is an Irish Trojan Horse? Irish Agents manoeuvring for a take-over of the British political hierarchy.

Seems more plausible than them just trying to maintain their EU rights and benefits.

Manchester

Unless it is an Irish Trojan Horse? Irish Agents manoeuvring for a take-over of the British political hierarchy.

Seems more plausible than them just trying to maintain their EU rights and benefits. "

Hmmm no I’m sticking with the feee movement

It’s a whole building full of sleaze and corruption. The stench is becoming unbearable.

Manchester

How many are brexiteers I wonder.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

maybe they were all remainers who applied which I wouldn't be surprised, you would need a breakdown of there votes to make your statement right.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I can’t blame them tbh, I wish I could get an Irish passport

near ipswich

I can’t blame them tbh, I wish I could get an Irish passport "

what would you be doing different if you had one of those?

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

I can’t blame them tbh, I wish I could get an Irish passport what would you be doing different if you had one of those?"

Unrestricted travel in EU for a start. Able to settle / retire, live & work in EU countries. I want one!

near ipswich

I can’t blame them tbh, I wish I could get an Irish passport what would you be doing different if you had one of those?

Unrestricted travel in EU for a start. Able to settle / retire, live & work in EU countries. I want one! "

so would you be off for unrestricted travel tomorrow if you had one and for how long?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I can’t blame them tbh, I wish I could get an Irish passport what would you be doing different if you had one of those?"

Freedom of movement

North West

I can’t blame them tbh, I wish I could get an Irish passport what would you be doing different if you had one of those?

Unrestricted travel in EU for a start. Able to settle / retire, live & work in EU countries. I want one! so would you be off for unrestricted travel tomorrow if you had one and for how long?"

The very biggest issue for a lot of retirees is their inability to now snowbird in Spain over Winter.

Our neighbour used to go the the Costa Blanca in November and come back at the end of March and reckoned it cost her less to do that than staying here in Manchester.

She is not alone. Now anyone who travels to the EU has to calendar watch, particularly if they have other travel plans within three months of them returning home.

For wealthier people who dreamed of buying a crash pad in the sun to use in their twilight years - that too is now a bit of a pointless exercise.

However, there is some good news. Really wealthy people can simply buy the access that they need whenever they need it. So that is one good result eh?

Maldon

Unrestricted travel in EU for a start. Able to settle / retire, live & work in EU countries. I want one! so would you be off for unrestricted travel tomorrow if you had one and for how long?"

I would be retired in France.

Maldon

Unrestricted travel in EU for a start. Able to settle / retire, live & work in EU countries. I want one! so would you be off for unrestricted travel tomorrow if you had one and for how long?

The very biggest issue for a lot of retirees is their inability to now snowbird in Spain over Winter.

Our neighbour used to go the the Costa Blanca in November and come back at the end of March and reckoned it cost her less to do that than staying here in Manchester.

She is not alone. Now anyone who travels to the EU has to calendar watch, particularly if they have other travel plans within three months of them returning home.

For wealthier people who dreamed of buying a crash pad in the sun to use in their twilight years - that too is now a bit of a pointless exercise.

However, there is some good news. Really wealthy people can simply buy the access that they need whenever they need it. So that is one good result eh?"

While we all know Brexit is the root cause, and we all know there was never an “oven ready “ deal, other countries are not helping. There are plenty of French people here that have also had travel / stay restrictions imposed. There is nothing to stop France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece etc offering free 12 month visas , it would have to be reciprocal of course.

We can’t afford to fill up the car, can’t use the train, who wants to suffer an airport? Can’t fuck off to France- it’s like still being in lockdown! My bicycle is all I have - who wants to join me on a three month ride to Istanbul? Thanks to Brexit though we will have to leave the bikes there and fly back.

Manchester

Fuck you I’m alright Jack . I can have free movement but you plebs can’t. maybe they were all remainers who applied which I wouldn't be surprised, you would need a breakdown of there votes to make your statement right. "

My statement is correct either way as they are enjoying the privilege whether they are leavers or remainers . It is a benefit they should be working on for all of us regardless off their views.

If it’s good for them it’s good for us don’t you agree?

near ipswich

Fuck you I’m alright Jack . I can have free movement but you plebs can’t. maybe they were all remainers who applied which I wouldn't be surprised, you would need a breakdown of there votes to make your statement right.

My statement is correct either way as they are enjoying the privilege whether they are leavers or remainers . It is a benefit they should be working on for all of us regardless off their views.

"

no I don’t the eu has rules and we all knew what it meant to leave and what the rules were.If people are eligible for a duel passport that’s their good fortune nothing more.

Manchester

Fuck you I’m alright Jack . I can have free movement but you plebs can’t. maybe they were all remainers who applied which I wouldn't be surprised, you would need a breakdown of there votes to make your statement right.

no I don’t the eu has rules and we all knew what it meant to leave and what the rules were.If people are eligible for a duel passport that’s their good fortune nothing more."

But that’s the point . It’s good for them so why don’t they work on it to make it good for us all?

It’s a Brexit benefit isn’t it to be able to work on something good for us all. Mogg said a Brexit benefit is to be freely able to work on reducing border check costs for our international trade with Europe.

By *itzi999Woman  over a year ago

Slough

Anyone with a parent or grand parent who is Irish can apply for Irish citizenship. I’ve got friends of mine who are dual British and Irish citizens, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Manchester

"Anyone with a parent or grand parent who is Irish can apply for Irish citizenship. I’ve got friends of mine who are dual British and Irish citizens, and there is nothing wrong with that. "

No there’s isn’t

It’s a good thing to have access to the EU you’re right.

By *elanie de la CoeurTV/TS  over a year ago

Dublin

*Melanie strolls into the room waving her Irish passport*

Oh hai boys, better put a ring on it if you want one of these

By *inkywife1981Couple  over a year ago

A town near you

There must be literally millions of people in England who qualify for an Irish passport through a parent, grandparent or spouse.

By *ayturners turn hayMan  over a year ago

Wellingborugh

"Astonishing reporting by the Independent.

By 2021 there were 227 and incredibly this year there are 321 with Irish passports.

Is it a velvet takeover of our political institutions by the Irish? Or is it the high and mighty making sure that unlike us mere Plebs - they get to retain the benefits of being in the EU??

It’s a strange one."

. However there is nothing unusual about having both an Irish and a UK passport. Should you loose one it saves a lot of hassle and you are not under so much pressure to get a replacement. If you are entitled to one it is prudent to apply for one . You simply pay £100 and provide your parents birth certificates. It is hardly startling news.

By *isandhers691127Couple  over a year ago

Bournemouth

Yeh the timing is just a massive coincidence

Manchester

"Astonishing reporting by the Independent.

It’s a strange one.. However there is nothing unusual about having both an Irish and a UK passport. Should you loose one it saves a lot of hassle and you are not under so much pressure to get a replacement. If you are entitled to one it is prudent to apply for one . You simply pay £100 and provide your parents birth certificates. It is hardly startling news. "

It’s not unusual for people to have entitlement to other country’s passports however, most people didn’t bother to take them up as they were not needed.

Yet here we are with around fifty percent of an institution which has removed free movement from the vast majority the population taking up that option.

Fifty percentage?? Now that is unusual.

By averages or demographics there is no way they are all remainers so a lot and possibly 50% are Brexiteers in those numbers. Hypocrisy of the greatest order.

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

"Anyone with a parent or grand parent who is Irish can apply for Irish citizenship. I’ve got friends of mine who are dual British and Irish citizens, and there is nothing wrong with that. "

Agree, but is it not strange a 'British National' would reverse apply for 'Irish Nationality' where there us no good reason?

And the Ireland is still.in the EU with benefits.

By *aptain Caveman41Man  over a year ago

Home

Everyone wants to be Irish

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle under Lyme

Likely for the EU perks. It was in the news a while back lots of folk applying for passports in other EU nations so they could keep their citizenship.

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

all around

"Everyone wants to be Irish "

I think you'll find the majority wish to remain in the EU

» Add a new message to this topic