FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Cost of living Vs Ukraine

Cost of living Vs Ukraine

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *mateur100 OP   Man  over a year ago

nr faversham

I read on the ever reliable BBC that 3 of the G7 are moving to the opinion that Ukraine should cede territory to end the war and therefore help reduce the cost of living crisis. No surprises for guessing which countries and I think it's absolutely shameful

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I read on the ever reliable BBC that 3 of the G7 are moving to the opinion that Ukraine should cede territory to end the war and therefore help reduce the cost of living crisis. No surprises for guessing which countries and I think it's absolutely shameful "

Why aren't others' viewpoints valid?

I, personally, would like to see the end of the conflict as the potential to leading to WWIII is too damn scary to even contemplate.

"I read on the ever reliable BBC that 3 of the G7 are moving to the opinion that Ukraine should cede territory to end the war and therefore help reduce the cost of living crisis. No surprises for guessing which countries and I think it's absolutely shameful

I, personally, would like to see the end of the conflict as the potential to leading to WWIII is too damn scary to even contemplate."

Yeah a conflict ending in favour of an aggressive imperialist nation which murders its critics and presides over state sanctioned domestic abuse

They’ll stop if I just give in to them

By *ary_ArgyllMan  over a year ago

Argyll

That is the danger, depends also if Putin is now actually looking for an exit strategy where he can claim to have won but looks at moment like their strategy is just to grind eastern Ukraine into the dust.

"I read on the ever reliable BBC that 3 of the G7 are moving to the opinion that Ukraine should cede territory to end the war and therefore help reduce the cost of living crisis. No surprises for guessing which countries and I think it's absolutely shameful

I, personally, would like to see the end of the conflict as the potential to leading to WWIII is too damn scary to even contemplate.

Yeah a conflict ending in favour of an aggressive imperialist nation which murders its critics and presides over state sanctioned domestic abuse

They’ll stop if I just give in to them"

So your only alternative to this carrying on until Russia is pushed out of Ukraine. It may never happen or could take years and years.

Or maybe Nato should go in directly and make it a World War basically.

What about these sanctions that were supposed to bring Russia to its knees. The Russian Rouble is at a 7 years high against the USD and Euro. While our currency falls.

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

When all this kicked off, I got slagged off for suggesting it would be a long war, like when the Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan.

Like that, it was never going to work, due to the size of the country being invaded, the level of resistance to it - and the backing of the West, in support of the defenders.

I made the point that the two invasions were not exactly parallel but certainly similar enough for the situation to last for years - possibly beyond the next U.S. general election.

There is a remote possibility that Trump returns to office before the war is concluded.

I don't actually think that will happen - God forbid - but the chances of a change in U.S. government in that timescale is realistic.

A change in UK leadership within two years is also on the cards.

Meanwhile, the Russians - a people hardened by decades (if not centuries) of suffering, to a level that you'd have to be Afghan to comprehend, are still in the game, unimpressed by our sanctions and military aid.

Ultimately, as in Afghanistan, last century, Russia cannot win - it lacks the resources to do so.

But the notion that they'll give up either the Crimea, or any time soon - is unsupported by fact.

Removing them by military force, via a full scale NATO attack, is a possibility - but with one outcome; a full scale nuclear war between (at least) Russia and all the NATO countries. Putin, for sure, is unstable enough to start one.

Sadly, that's the impasse Ukraine is going to suffer under for years - because it's the lesser of two evils.

nr faversham

"That is the danger, depends also if Putin is now actually looking for an exit strategy where he can claim to have won but looks at moment like their strategy is just to grind eastern Ukraine into the dust."

Why would he need an exit strategy though? £96bn rec'd from the EU alone in payments since this began. China now his biggest customer. The West "alliance" looking more likely to splinter. Ukraine was screwed when he took Crimea and they'll be screwed again.

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle under Lyme

You don't cede territory to nations like Russia. That is cowardice and too many people have died in previous wars for the current generation to show weakness at a time like this.

nr faversham

"You don't cede territory to nations like Russia. That is cowardice and too many people have died in previous wars for the current generation to show weakness at a time like this."

By *eanoCoolMan  over a year ago

wisbech

So your only alternative to this carrying on until Russia is pushed out of Ukraine. It may never happen or could take years and years.

What about these sanctions that were supposed to bring Russia to its knees. The Russian Rouble is at a 7 years high against the USD and Euro. While our currency falls."

The 96 billion in payments from certain eu countries for oil and gas has been what has propped up the rouble and helped mitigate the effectiveness of the sanctions imposed upon Russia and whilst it continues he never will stop his blood thirsty rampage.

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

What about these sanctions that were supposed to bring Russia to its knees. The Russian Rouble is at a 7 years high against the USD and Euro. While our currency falls.

The 96 billion in payments from certain eu countries for oil and gas has been what has propped up the rouble and helped mitigate the effectiveness of the sanctions imposed upon Russia and whilst it continues he never will stop his blood thirsty rampage."

I read today that although the Russian rouble is stable the war is very expensive with much of the oil money needed to pay for it. Also looks likely they they will default on their interest payments this month. That's more to do with routes to pay than not having the money but defaulting can impact how much they pay in the future I'm told

The 96 billion in payments from certain eu countries for oil and gas has been what has propped up the rouble and helped mitigate the effectiveness of the sanctions imposed upon Russia and whilst it continues he never will stop his blood thirsty rampage."

£96 billion to a country the size of Russia is pea nuts,

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

The 96 billion in payments from certain eu countries for oil and gas has been what has propped up the rouble and helped mitigate the effectiveness of the sanctions imposed upon Russia and whilst it continues he never will stop his blood thirsty rampage.

£96 billion to a country the size of Russia is pea nuts, "

no it’s not Russia are a poor country

By *rDiscretionXXXMan  over a year ago

Gilfach

"£96 billion to a country the size of Russia is pea nuts,"

"no it’s not Russia are a poor country "

Russia's GDP is about USD1.8tn, so EUR96bn (USD101bn) is just over 5% of their GDP.

wisbech

£96 billion to a country the size of Russia is pea nuts, "

Why don't you tell that to all the dead Ukrainians families, am sure they will see it that way. Those 96 billion "peanuts" are propping up his war effort or do you disagree with such a blatant fact? Why you even trying to defend this is beyond me.

wisbech

"£96 billion to a country the size of Russia is pea nuts,

Russia's GDP is about USD1.8tn, so EUR96bn (USD101bn) is just over 5% of their GDP."

Yes and add on all the other revenue from China, India and the others that are still buying oil and gas from them too and this adds up to a considerable amount of there total GDP income.

Russia's GDP is about USD1.8tn, so EUR96bn (USD101bn) is just over 5% of their GDP."

18 trillion is 18,000 billion 101 billion is 0.6 % Like I said, pea nuts, and let’s be honest, that money won’t be going to the Russian people anyway

wisbech

Russia's GDP is about USD1.8tn, so EUR96bn (USD101bn) is just over 5% of their GDP.

18 trillion is 18,000 billion 101 billion is 0.6 % Like I said, pea nuts, and let’s be honest, that money won’t be going to the Russian people anyway "

No your right its its going to buy weapons to kill innocent people instead.

18 trillion is 18,000 billion 101 billion is 0.6 % Like I said, pea nuts, and let’s be honest, that money won’t be going to the Russian people anyway

No your right its its going to buy weapons to kill innocent people instead. "

Who from? 101 billion is nothing, just means a few oligarchs will miss out on a few billion each, Putin doesn’t care about his people, he is deranged, unfortunately the only way to stop this horrific war is to give him a ‘saving face ‘ option ,

wisbech

Who from? 101 billion is nothing, just means a few oligarchs will miss out on a few billion each, Putin doesn’t care about his people, he is deranged, unfortunately the only way to stop this horrific war is to give him a ‘saving face ‘ option , "

He is using the money to resupply his army to kill Ukrainians, this is not about the Russian people getting it. You keep saying its peanuts (which i find abhorrent when innocent people are dying), but how many rounds of ammunition would that 101 billion enable them to produce, how many extra rockets or tank shells does that get them to kill more innocent people with. Without that 101 billion it would be less munitions and less dead people. I bet if it was the uk government handing that cash over you would have a completely different view on the matter.

Who from? 101 billion is nothing, just means a few oligarchs will miss out on a few billion each, Putin doesn’t care about his people, he is deranged, unfortunately the only way to stop this horrific war is to give him a ‘saving face ‘ option ,

He is using the money to resupply his army to kill Ukrainians, this is not about the Russian people getting it. You keep saying its peanuts (which i find abhorrent when innocent people are dying), but how many rounds of ammunition would that 101 billion enable them to produce, how many extra rockets or tank shells does that get them to kill more innocent people with. Without that 101 billion it would be less munitions and less dead people. I bet if it was the uk government handing that cash over you would have a completely different view on the matter."

I will ask you again, who is he buying these weapons from?

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

Give him an inch and he’ll take a mile

Why stop at Ukraine? Why wouldn’t he just do it again somewhere else

wisbech

He is using the money to resupply his army to kill Ukrainians, this is not about the Russian people getting it. You keep saying its peanuts (which i find abhorrent when innocent people are dying), but how many rounds of ammunition would that 101 billion enable them to produce, how many extra rockets or tank shells does that get them to kill more innocent people with. Without that 101 billion it would be less munitions and less dead people. I bet if it was the uk government handing that cash over you would have a completely different view on the matter.

I will ask you again, who is he buying these weapons from? "

Where ever he can no doubt, most will be made in Russia as you very well know i am sure, and it costs money to build them doesn't it. So his "peanuts" make things that kill innocent Ukrainians which you clearly have no problem with. I am attending a fund raiser tonight for a refugee charity to help some of those displaced by this war, shame you cannot attend and speak to some of these people and hear there stories and see the horror in there eyes it may change your view point. Enjoy the rest of your evening.

Where ever he can no doubt, most will be made in Russia as you very well know i am sure, and it costs money to build them doesn't it. So his "peanuts" make things that kill innocent Ukrainians which you clearly have no problem with. I am attending a fund raiser tonight for a refugee charity to help some of those displaced by this war, shame you cannot attend and speak to some of these people and hear there stories and see the horror in there eyes it may change your view point. Enjoy the rest of your evening."

It costs fuck all if they are made in Russia, Putin is a dictator, people will be forced to make them fii kik r nothing if required Btw, why are you so keen on blaming the EU, after all Zelensky loves the EU, he is trying to join them ,why?

By *TMA that man againMan  over a year ago

worester

"You don't cede territory to nations like Russia. That is cowardice and too many people have died in previous wars for the current generation to show weakness at a time like this."

It was ceding territory to Hitler (Austria/Sudetenland) that emboldened him to invade Poland (next on Putin's list?).

What Ukraine needs is heavier artillery, tanks, planes etc.

Russian army is a shambles...but sadly they currently outgun Ukraine....NATO doesn't need to go in directly...but they do need to grow a pair and give Zelenski what he has been asking for for months. Platitudes are of no use at all.

Where ever he can no doubt, most will be made in Russia as you very well know i am sure, and it costs money to build them doesn't it. So his "peanuts" make things that kill innocent Ukrainians which you clearly have no problem with. I am attending a fund raiser tonight for a refugee charity to help some of those displaced by this war, shame you cannot attend and speak to some of these people and hear there stories and see the horror in there eyes it may change your view point. Enjoy the rest of your evening.

It costs fuck all if they are made in Russia, Putin is a dictator, people will be forced to make them fii kik r nothing if required Btw, why are you so keen on blaming the EU, after all Zelensky loves the EU, he is trying to join them ,why? "

For nothing

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

We should continue to support Ukraine and their efforts to defend their homeland, but at the same time transitioning as fast as possible to alternative sources of energy and food production. But this useless government can’t seem to do two things at the same time, preferring to concentrate on the support of Ukraine because it’s “sexy”, and grabs headlines and neglecting preparations for energy self reliance because it’s boring, difficult and they have no clue, plus it’s doesn’t score well with the catheter brigade.

If we increase production of renewables, we further support Ukraine as we reduce the strength of the Russian war machine.

nr faversham

The issue is the report that 3/7 of the G7 are wavering in their support due to problems at home.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan  over a year ago

Gilfach

"£96 billion to a country the size of Russia is pea nuts,"

"no it’s not Russia are a poor country"

"Russia's GDP is about USD1.8tn, so EUR96bn (USD101bn) is just over 5% of their GDP."

"18 trillion is 18,000 billion 101 billion is 0.6 % Like I said, pea nuts"

No, not 18tn, it's 1.8tn, which is 1800bn, so 101bn is just over 5%.

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

Texas is higher than the whole of Russia.

By *amish SMan  over a year ago

Eastleigh

Putin is clear in that the soviet countries are Russia, clearly he wants them back. To cede territory would just encourage him to take more elsewhere.

Russia had failed in Ukraine, and they will shortly be at the mercy of the Ukrainian forces. Dig deeper in the news feeds and you will see why. Little reported, but the first strike of Himars hit 96 vehicles various in one engagement, no wonder he hit back at Kyiv, armoured vehicles, tankers, etc destroyed. Hungry troops with sore feet will find it hard to march on and take ground. Checkpoints being fought over by Russian forces, so called separatists turning on the Russians.

There is no point ending this war, Russia will regroup rebuild and come back, better to tie them in to a longer war controlled by Ukraine and NATO, whilst Russia are stupid enough to keep sending troops and hardware to the front line for them to pick off. This will also give NATO time to build and bolster it manpower and equipment.

China sits on the fence, clearly hoodwinked by Putin, if Russia crosses another recognised border I very much doubt the Chinese will sit on the fence, Russia could lose their support.

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

"Putin is clear in that the soviet countries are Russia, clearly he wants them back. To cede territory would just encourage him to take more elsewhere.

Russia had failed in Ukraine, and they will shortly be at the mercy of the Ukrainian forces. Dig deeper in the news feeds and you will see why. Little reported, but the first strike of Himars hit 96 vehicles various in one engagement, no wonder he hit back at Kyiv, armoured vehicles, tankers, etc destroyed. Hungry troops with sore feet will find it hard to march on and take ground. Checkpoints being fought over by Russian forces, so called separatists turning on the Russians.

There is no point ending this war, Russia will regroup rebuild and come back, better to tie them in to a longer war controlled by Ukraine and NATO, whilst Russia are stupid enough to keep sending troops and hardware to the front line for them to pick off. This will also give NATO time to build and bolster it manpower and equipment.

China sits on the fence, clearly hoodwinked by Putin, if Russia crosses another recognised border I very much doubt the Chinese will sit on the fence, Russia could lose their support. "

Or China just stay on the fence while enjoying their cheap Russian oil and gas and continuing to eyeball Taiwan!

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

"You don't cede territory to nations like Russia. That is cowardice and too many people have died in previous wars for the current generation to show weakness at a time like this.

It was ceding territory to Hitler (Austria/Sudetenland) that emboldened him to invade Poland (next on Putin's list?).

What Ukraine needs is heavier artillery, tanks, planes etc.

Russian army is a shambles...but sadly they currently outgun Ukraine....NATO doesn't need to go in directly...but they do need to grow a pair and give Zelenski what he has been asking for for months. Platitudes are of no use at all."

Even Putin isn’t mad enough to invade a NATO/EU country. Poland is safe. Former Soviet Union territory less so.

milton keynes

18 trillion is 18,000 billion 101 billion is 0.6 % Like I said, pea nuts

No, not 18tn, it's 1.8tn, which is 1800bn, so 101bn is just over 5%."

It's an expensive business even for Russia. Reports say that Russia lost 7.5 billion of assets in the first 4 days of the war. Apparently it cost many 10's of millions every day just to keep the war going and billions in further lost assets.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

It's an expensive business even for Russia. Reports say that Russia lost 7.5 billion of assets in the first 4 days of the war. Apparently it cost many 10's of millions every day just to keep the war going and billions in further lost assets."

Russia have earned 35 billion for energy from the eu alone since the war started i dont think they care about sanctions when they are pulling that much in.

By *uffolkJohnMan  over a year ago

Newmarket

"I read on the ever reliable BBC that 3 of the G7 are moving to the opinion that Ukraine should cede territory to end the war and therefore help reduce the cost of living crisis. No surprises for guessing which countries and I think it's absolutely shameful "

As if the cost of living has anything to do with Russia/Ukraine. We have been printing money ad nauseam since 2008. £3 trillion in debt. What a farce and what great distraction from the truth Putin is (that doesn't mean I support him by the way).

milton keynes

It's an expensive business even for Russia. Reports say that Russia lost 7.5 billion of assets in the first 4 days of the war. Apparently it cost many 10's of millions every day just to keep the war going and billions in further lost assets.Russia have earned 35 billion for energy from the eu alone since the war started i dont think they care about sanctions when they are pulling that much in."

I heard a snip on the daily politics program that according to the ONS the UK is now exporting more to the EU than ever before. The sudden rise is connected to the war in Ukraine and Russian gas supplies to the EU. It seems the UK is importing vast amounts of LNG and selling it onto EU storage facilities using the existing pipes. No idea if it will be enough should Russia completely cut supplies but it should help.

By *itzi999Woman  over a year ago

Slough

"The issue is the report that 3/7 of the G7 are wavering in their support due to problems at home. "

Which of the 3 G7 countries?

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Have you got the link ? Is it this one?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61940007

As this jumps from g7 to a cross Europe poll. So it's not the countries leaders are of the opinion, but the people are. It's slight semantics maybe.

It's only the UK (where we are swing so a bit of both) and Poland (want justice) that don't have a majority for "peace" (eg accept concessions). Even in the UK more ppl want "peace" than "justice" (clear defeat of Russia)

Maybe we shouldn't throw stones quite yet...

Slough

As this jumps from g7 to a cross Europe poll. So it's not the countries leaders are of the opinion, but the people are. It's slight semantics maybe.

It's only the UK (where we are swing so a bit of both) and Poland (want justice) that don't have a majority for "peace" (eg accept concessions). Even in the UK more ppl want "peace" than "justice" (clear defeat of Russia)

"

Thanks for the link Hovis

From that article “Some voices - particularly in France, Germany and Italy - have asked if it might not be better for the war to end, even if it came at the cost of Ukraine having to cede territory. A recent cross-Europe opinion poll suggested some voters put solving the cost-of-living crisis ahead of punishing Russia.”

I agree with France, Germany & Italy. The reason Putin went to war in the first place was to protect the ethnic Russian Ukrainians.

Don’t believe everything you see the media either. Friends of mine have just come back from Thailand. There were an awful lot of Ukrainian passports used by men! Thought they were all conscripts?

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

From that article “Some voices - particularly in France, Germany and Italy - have asked if it might not be better for the war to end, even if it came at the cost of Ukraine having to cede territory. A recent cross-Europe opinion poll suggested some voters put solving the cost-of-living crisis ahead of punishing Russia.”

I agree with France, Germany & Italy. The reason Putin went to war in the first place was to protect the ethnic Russian Ukrainians.

Don’t believe everything you see the media either. Friends of mine have just come back from Thailand. There were an awful lot of Ukrainian passports used by men! Thought they were all conscripts?

"

I do not follow that last comment. Can you explain ?

Slough

I do not follow that last comment. Can you explain ?"

Hi Hovis - the Ukrainian men are supposedly ALL conscripts - yet how are they able to go on holiday in Thailand en masse?

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Hi Hovis - the Ukrainian men are supposedly ALL conscripts - yet how are they able to go on holiday in Thailand en masse? "

how do your friends know their passports ...and how many ppl did they meet ?

Not sure if those living outside ukraine had to return...

And not sure what I'm not meant to believe even if this is true !!

Slough

Hi Hovis - the Ukrainian men are supposedly ALL conscripts - yet how are they able to go on holiday in Thailand en masse? how do your friends know their passports ...and how many ppl did they meet ?

And not sure what I'm not meant to believe even if this is true !!"

My friends saw lots of them at the airport in Thailand on holiday….. don’t believe all the propaganda you see in the western media.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Hi Hovis - the Ukrainian men are supposedly ALL conscripts - yet how are they able to go on holiday in Thailand en masse? how do your friends know their passports ...and how many ppl did they meet ?

And not sure what I'm not meant to believe even if this is true !!

My friends saw lots of them at the airport in Thailand on holiday….. don’t believe all the propaganda you see in the western media. "

how could they tell they are ukranaian?

What's the propoganda here? That every ukranaian is fighting?

» Add a new message to this topic