FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Crowd at Glastonbury chanting Fuck the Tories

Crowd at Glastonbury chanting Fuck the Tories

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *osephSamuel90 OP   Man  over a year ago

Bracknell

I'm a Labour voter but I just find this sort of thing pathetic and completely unhelpful. Also add on top of that 90% of the people there are either middle or upper class. Tickets are about £250 for the weekend, plus the costs for travel and alcohol etc. The country is in the midst of a cost of living crisis yet these guys are splashing hundreds of quid on a festival. If you were a working-class swing voter or Tory who was considering changing your vote at the next election because you'd finally had enough of BoJo and his mates I think this would actually garner more support for him

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

It’s become a meme now to hate the tories

I’m clueless, so I dunno what to think about politics

But I’ve found these days, especially around young people, the more vocal they are about “fuck the tories”, the less they know.

Do it yourself, the next time you see someone saying “no tories” or whatever, just ask them why. 90% of the time they don’t have an answer. It’s just a fun meme at the moment they blindly follow along with

Bracknell

"It’s become a meme now to hate the tories

But I’ve found these days, especially around young people, the more vocal they are about “fuck the tories”, the less they know.

Do it yourself, the next time you see someone saying “no tories” or whatever, just ask them why. 90% of the time they don’t have an answer. It’s just a fun meme at the moment they blindly follow along with "

Too true. A lot of them also claim that all Tory voters are posh wankers. It's so all 14 million people who voted Tory at the last election are 'posh wankers'?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Do it yourself, the next time you see someone saying “no tories” or whatever, just ask them why. 90% of the time they don’t have an answer. It’s just a fun meme at the moment they blindly follow along with "

No different from the ones that blindly follow BJ.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

Probably the same lot who were singing oh Jeremy corbyn the other year when he turned up on stage the other year.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

Do it yourself, the next time you see someone saying “no tories” or whatever, just ask them why. 90% of the time they don’t have an answer. It’s just a fun meme at the moment they blindly follow along with

Too true. A lot of them also claim that all Tory voters are posh wankers. It's so all 14 million people who voted Tory at the last election are 'posh wankers'? "

Definitely not. Lots of poor people vote themselves into more poverty by putting a tick in a box next to a picture of a posh Tory wanker.

I only saw kendrick Lamar, so didn't hear it. but I saw a banner taking the mick out of BJ.

Bracknell

Too true. A lot of them also claim that all Tory voters are posh wankers. It's so all 14 million people who voted Tory at the last election are 'posh wankers'?

Definitely not. Lots of poor people vote themselves into more poverty by putting a tick in a box next to a picture of a posh Tory wanker."

Labour has a lot of its own posh wankers. Momentum is full of them. Also what you're saying seems like the old argument that the only reason working-class people would vote tory is because they're stupid, which is just as insulting

Definitely not. Lots of poor people vote themselves into more poverty by putting a tick in a box next to a picture of a posh Tory wanker."

that's so true poor people voting for more poverty am I missing something.

By *hybloke67Man  over a year ago

ROMFORD

Have you ever voted at all in your life?

The ballot voting papers never have the actual picture of the person just the party they represent.

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle under Lyme

Rich mummies and daddies, not really surprised they find the idea of spending other people's money appealing.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

People pay their hard earned money to go and listen to music for a bit of escapism and get away from the everyday shit that goes on. They don’t go to listen to opinionated wankers spouting politics.

golden fields

"I only saw kendrick Lamar, so didn't hear it. but I saw a banner taking the mick out of BJ."

The "this is a work event" banner was funny.

golden fields

Definitely not. Lots of poor people vote themselves into more poverty by putting a tick in a box next to a picture of a posh Tory wanker.

Labour has a lot of its own posh wankers. Momentum is full of them. Also what you're saying seems like the old argument that the only reason working-class people would vote tory is because they're stupid, which is just as insulting "

I'm not saying they're stupid. That's ridiculous thing to say.

They maybe made a stupid choice. That's completely different.

It isn’t really surprising, the tories , especially Boris, are very unpopular right now, in fact they are hated

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

For a party that appears to be universally hated they have a lot of shadow Tories voting for them but not admitting it.

Just like on FAB.

"For a party that appears to be universally hated they have a lot of shadow Tories voting for them but not admitting it.

Just like on FAB. "

When? They have lost 2 by elections, got thrashed at the council elections, ‘right now’ they are unpopular

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

"For a party that appears to be universally hated they have a lot of shadow Tories voting for them but not admitting it.

Just like on FAB.

When? They have lost 2 by elections, got thrashed at the council elections, ‘right now’ they are unpopular "

I am referring to the “Shy Tory” factor.

Just like on FAB.

When? They have lost 2 by elections, got thrashed at the council elections, ‘right now’ they are unpopular

I am referring to the “Shy Tory” factor.

"

Ah ok, the people who are to ‘embarrassed’ to admit they vote Tory??

By *rDiscretionXXXMan  over a year ago

Gilfach

"I am referring to the “Shy Tory” factor. "

"Ah ok, the people who are to ‘embarrassed’ to admit they vote Tory??"

I suspect he means 'the people that vote Tory, but don't want to have an argument about it'.

You do like your loaded phrasing.

"I am referring to the “Shy Tory” factor.

I suspect he means 'the people that vote Tory, but don't want to have an argument about it'.

You do like your loaded phrasing."

I will stick to my original post, you do like your ‘pedantry’

golden fields

"I am referring to the “Shy Tory” factor.

You do like your loaded phrasing."

Why don't they want to argue or discuss it?

I will say that the majority on here are Tories and they're all very open about it.

By *isandhers691127Couple  over a year ago

Bournemouth

When was the last time bozo was out on the streets. Seems like he hasn't been seen since he was booed at the jubilee.

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

Utterly shocked to see the usual 'free speech!' people getting upset at some people using their free speech.

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

"I'm a Labour voter but I just find this sort of thing pathetic and completely unhelpful. Also add on top of that 90% of the people there are either middle or upper class. Tickets are about £250 for the weekend, plus the costs for travel and alcohol etc. The country is in the midst of a cost of living crisis yet these guys are splashing hundreds of quid on a festival. If you were a working-class swing voter or Tory who was considering changing your vote at the next election because you'd finally had enough of BoJo and his mates I think this would actually garner more support for him "

The idea that working class people can't save £250 for something they're passionate about is pretty snobby, my friend.

Bracknell

"I'm a Labour voter but I just find this sort of thing pathetic and completely unhelpful. Also add on top of that 90% of the people there are either middle or upper class. Tickets are about £250 for the weekend, plus the costs for travel and alcohol etc. The country is in the midst of a cost of living crisis yet these guys are splashing hundreds of quid on a festival. If you were a working-class swing voter or Tory who was considering changing your vote at the next election because you'd finally had enough of BoJo and his mates I think this would actually garner more support for him

The idea that working class people can't save £250 for something they're passionate about is pretty snobby, my friend. "

Not really. At a time when everyone is struggling because of historic high costs of living a lot of people don't have that much disposable cash to throw around. Plus most of those in attendance will be going to other festivals for festival season and spending even more. It's not controversial to point out that most people who attend like this are from wealthier backgrounds because they're the ones with disposable income for 'things they're passionate about'.

"I'm a Labour voter but I just find this sort of thing pathetic and completely unhelpful. Also add on top of that 90% of the people there are either middle or upper class. Tickets are about £250 for the weekend, plus the costs for travel and alcohol etc. The country is in the midst of a cost of living crisis yet these guys are splashing hundreds of quid on a festival. If you were a working-class swing voter or Tory who was considering changing your vote at the next election because you'd finally had enough of BoJo and his mates I think this would actually garner more support for him

The idea that working class people can't save £250 for something they're passionate about is pretty snobby, my friend.

Not really. At a time when everyone is struggling because of historic high costs of living a lot of people don't have that much disposable cash to throw around. Plus most of those in attendance will be going to other festivals for festival season and spending even more. It's not controversial to point out that most people who attend like this are from wealthier backgrounds because they're the ones with disposable income for 'things they're passionate about'. "

Have you ever been to a music festival?

By *otMe66Man  over a year ago

Terra Firma

Not really. At a time when everyone is struggling because of historic high costs of living a lot of people don't have that much disposable cash to throw around. Plus most of those in attendance will be going to other festivals for festival season and spending even more. It's not controversial to point out that most people who attend like this are from wealthier backgrounds because they're the ones with disposable income for 'things they're passionate about'. "

I think the majority of tickets were actually purchased in 2019 and honoured for 2022.

By *hocolate37Man  over a year ago

Heathrow

"People pay their hard earned money to go and listen to music for a bit of escapism and get away from the everyday shit that goes on. They don’t go to listen to opinionated wankers spouting politics."

I don't know if you or the OP are aware of the origins of Glastonbury...spoiler alert, it was "music and politics" - from the late 70s/early 80s, the proceeds were given to social and political causes, such as the CND, Children's World Charity, Oxfam and WaterAid...and OMG, they even support diversity and anti-sl*very, the caring buggers!!

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/an-introduction-to-glastonbury-festival/the-festivals-objectives/

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

OMG Fab Forums are a funny old place. You gotta love how some people are trying to explain away the reasons the chanters couldn’t possibly be either justified or legitimate in wanting to say “fuck the Tories”!

Whatever their reasons, whether they were middle class folks with a bit of money or working class folks who saved up for ages (or still live at home with parents and have few outgoings) or whatever (does it actually matter?)...the fact remains the crowd WERE chanting “fuck the Tories” and I would say they are reflecting the growing mood in the country as a whole.

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

And as Mr Hay will no doubt say...it looks like the silent majority are becoming less silent!

"I only saw kendrick Lamar, so didn't hear it. but I saw a banner taking the mick out of BJ.

The "this is a work event" banner was funny."

I think its good to see that others have views and are prepared to air them at popular places which get tv coverage, like that guy in parliament square who I see sometimes on the news

Bracknell

"OMG Fab Forums are a funny old place. You gotta love how some people are trying to explain away the reasons the chanters couldn’t possibly be either justified or legitimate in wanting to say “fuck the Tories”!

Whatever their reasons, whether they were middle class folks with a bit of money or working class folks who saved up for ages (or still live at home with parents and have few outgoings) or whatever (does it actually matter?)...the fact remains the crowd WERE chanting “fuck the Tories” and I would say they are reflecting the growing mood in the country as a whole."

But it's just performative politics and doesn't actually achieve anything. Yeh most people don't like the Tories at the moment, so hopefully at the next election they'll be voted out. But how does chanting at a music festival help get rid of them? It's just so they can post it on social media to seem edgy and right on. Didn't exactly work out when they all chanted Corbyns name

"OMG Fab Forums are a funny old place. You gotta love how some people are trying to explain away the reasons the chanters couldn’t possibly be either justified or legitimate in wanting to say “fuck the Tories”!

Whatever their reasons, whether they were middle class folks with a bit of money or working class folks who saved up for ages (or still live at home with parents and have few outgoings) or whatever (does it actually matter?)...the fact remains the crowd WERE chanting “fuck the Tories” and I would say they are reflecting the growing mood in the country as a whole."

Whatever their reasons, whether they were middle class folks with a bit of money or working class folks who saved up for ages (or still live at home with parents and have few outgoings) or whatever (does it actually matter?)...the fact remains the crowd WERE chanting “fuck the Tories” and I would say they are reflecting the growing mood in the country as a whole.

But it's just performative politics and doesn't actually achieve anything. Yeh most people don't like the Tories at the moment, so hopefully at the next election they'll be voted out. But how does chanting at a music festival help get rid of them? It's just so they can post it on social media to seem edgy and right on. Didn't exactly work out when they all chanted Corbyns name"

I remember lots of different cities having parties and letting off fireworks when thatcher died, that's a whole lot of hate.

Not really. At a time when everyone is struggling because of historic high costs of living a lot of people don't have that much disposable cash to throw around. Plus most of those in attendance will be going to other festivals for festival season and spending even more. It's not controversial to point out that most people who attend like this are from wealthier backgrounds because they're the ones with disposable income for 'things they're passionate about'.

I think the majority of tickets were actually purchased in 2019 and honoured for 2022.

"

Glastonbury is incredibly good value compared to individual gigs. You're looking to pay at least £50 a ticket for a mid priced artist.

Not been to Glastonbury but other festival's I've been to have been a mix of people from different backgrounds.

By *alking HeadMan  over a year ago

Bolton

"I'm a Labour voter but I just find this sort of thing pathetic and completely unhelpful. Also add on top of that 90% of the people there are either middle or upper class. Tickets are about £250 for the weekend, plus the costs for travel and alcohol etc. The country is in the midst of a cost of living crisis yet these guys are splashing hundreds of quid on a festival. If you were a working-class swing voter or Tory who was considering changing your vote at the next election because you'd finally had enough of BoJo and his mates I think this would actually garner more support for him "

If you had been born ten years earlier, you would have seen the same thing at any comedy or music event. Twas ever thus. Young people do tend to be more left leaning, even the middle classes. It's only when they get older that they want all their money for themselves.

I was just surprised to learn that Glory Days was a McCartney song!

» Add a new message to this topic