FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Now barristers are on strike

Now barristers are on strike

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I look forward to the Mail/Express trying to call them lefties & Marxists.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

Yes I heard the one outside the court in Bristol saying that they need higher rates so they can defend the local scrotes who nick cars cause accidents drink and drive and then get defended by a breaf all payed for by legal aid

"Yes I heard the one outside the court in Bristol saying that they need higher rates so they can defend the local scrotes who nick cars cause accidents drink and drive and then get defended by a breaf all payed for by legal aid "

You make them sound terribly eloquent.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Yes I heard the one outside the court in Bristol saying that they need higher rates so they can defend the local scrotes who nick cars cause accidents drink and drive and then get defended by a breaf all payed for by legal aid "

Who is Nick Cars?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Yes I heard the one outside the court in Bristol saying that they need higher rates so they can defend the local scrotes who nick cars cause accidents drink and drive and then get defended by a breaf all payed for by legal aid

You make them sound terribly eloquent."

That must have been a ‘righty’ barrister

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

The only bit I read on this said they were offered a 15% rise but turned it down. I think because it does not kick in until next year, maybe the end of next year. Did not see if the was an interim raise

By *alking HeadMan  over a year ago

Bolton

Junior barristers start on around 12k according to R4 this morning.

By *coptoCouple  over a year ago

Côte d'Azur & Great Yarmouth

When I was a kid growing up in the East End of London, an uncle who lived with us was quite involved in the Dockers’ Unions and one day Jack Dash - yeah, what a name, you couldn’t make it up - came to our house. The dockers had just turned down a big pay rise (I honestly can’t remember what it was, let’s say for the point of the story 20%). My father, who was earning peanuts, was disgusted and took the opportunity to tell them both what he thought of them.

Jack Dash calmly said: ‘Imagine your boss brought you and three of your co-workers (he probably said “Brothers”) into his office, lined you all up and said to one of them “You, you’re getting a 20% rise. You, you and you, you’re fired” Now, do you think that’s acceptable? Do you think a Trade Union should agree to it? But when it doesn’t, that’s what’ll make the headlines”

It shut my father up, and I’ve never since criticised the rejection of a salary increase without knowing some of the other details of the offered “package”

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Junior barristers start on around 12k according to R4 this morning. "

Which is pretty shit tbh..

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

"Junior barristers start on around 12k according to R4 this morning. "

Yep that tallys with the BBC website. They say with expenses it can drop to £9,000. Seems a very low start but quite rewarding as they progress. Apparently the 15% it will give the typical barrister around £7,000 extra per year. They are after 25% as a minimum.

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"The only bit I read on this said they were offered a 15% rise but turned it down. I think because it does not kick in until next year, maybe the end of next year. Did not see if the was an interim raise "
they have had at least a 24% drop in real pay over last ten years have been offered 15% that doesent kick in untill 2023 and will not be payed for any of the 60k+ backlog of cases awaiting court time due to the tory cuts closures and general mismanagement of the court estate prior to the pandemic which have been exsasabated by covid . look up the secret barrister on twatter hes been railing against this for at least the last four years

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

all around

Same as the rail workers, if they don't like their pay then fk off and get a better paid job

By *rDiscretionXXXMan  over a year ago

Gilfach

"Same as the rail workers, if they don't like their pay then fk off and get a better paid job "

That's what a lot of them are doing. There will be none left if the government don't up the pay and reform the antiquarian system.

By *eandmrsjones69Couple  over a year ago

Middle England

Just give everyone 25%. At the same time all prices, costs, interest rates and taxes rise by the same amount.

Doesn't it just become a vicious inflationary cycle?

By *otMe66Man  over a year ago

Terra Firma

"Same as the rail workers, if they don't like their pay then fk off and get a better paid job "

Should nobody ever ask for a rise in their pay? What you enter the company on is what you leave on?

By *uddy laneMan  over a year ago

dudley

"Same as the rail workers, if they don't like their pay then fk off and get a better paid job

Should nobody ever ask for a rise in their pay? What you enter the company on is what you leave on?"

What happens is people do f@@k off over pay, then to stop the infection of others leaving the employer puts up wages or rates, so the person who just f@@ked off from the one job over pay gets employed at another place were the wages rates have incressed to stop more leaving.

"When I was a kid growing up in the East End of London, an uncle who lived with us was quite involved in the Dockers’ Unions and one day Jack Dash - yeah, what a name, you couldn’t make it up - came to our house. The dockers had just turned down a big pay rise (I honestly can’t remember what it was, let’s say for the point of the story 20%). My father, who was earning peanuts, was disgusted and took the opportunity to tell them both what he thought of them.

Jack Dash calmly said: ‘Imagine your boss brought you and three of your co-workers (he probably said “Brothers”) into his office, lined you all up and said to one of them “You, you’re getting a 20% rise. You, you and you, you’re fired” Now, do you think that’s acceptable? Do you think a Trade Union should agree to it? But when it doesn’t, that’s what’ll make the headlines”

It shut my father up, and I’ve never since criticised the rejection of a salary increase without knowing some of the other details of the offered “package”"

Certain people on here should really read your post.

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"The only bit I read on this said they were offered a 15% rise but turned it down. I think because it does not kick in until next year, maybe the end of next year. Did not see if the was an interim raise they have had at least a 24% drop in real pay over last ten years have been offered 15% that doesent kick in untill 2023 and will not be payed for any of the 60k+ backlog of cases awaiting court time due to the tory cuts closures and general mismanagement of the court estate prior to the pandemic which have been exsasabated by covid . look up the secret barrister on twatter hes been railing against this for at least the last four years

"

came here to signpost this. As ever, the headlines are half the story.

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Just give everyone 25%. At the same time all prices, costs, interest rates and taxes rise by the same amount.

Doesn't it just become a vicious inflationary cycle?"

isn't this about what they get paid as defending barristers. So the argument is akin to pensioners payrises.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

It’s going to kick off everywhere in the coming months. Ten years of austerity cuts after 2010 kept wages that are related to the public purse depressed and in effect, most of those people are now earning less in real terms than they did in 2010. Along comes another couple of crises in 2020 and 2021 and then we have the war in Ukraine and a cost of living crisis that hasn’t even started to bite yet.

Millions genuinely cannot cope now and millions more will not be coping in fairly short order.

The playbook answer is to target those on strike and seek to create divisions in society. Blaming higher paid workers for striking is tantamount to arguing that everyone should be paid a pittance.

Something big will have to give way because free market capitalism only works when the sun is shining. Big Government is always needed because storms, cyclones and disasters are an inevitable fact of life.

» Add a new message to this topic