FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Scottish independence: 19 October 2023 proposed as date for referendum

Scottish independence: 19 October 2023 proposed as date for referendum

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ay40 OP   Man  over a year ago

Kinross

Nicola Sturgeon has set a date for a referendum that may not happen.

That's because she's making clear it can only go ahead if it is considered legal by judges in the UK Supreme Court - and that's far from certain.

The first minister has decided to adapt her plans to test the powers of the Scottish Parliament before trying to pass a referendum bill.

That is obviously a gamble but probably less messy than risking a bill being struck down in court.

So, will she get permission and do you really care.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

I don’t really care but that’s the only purpose of the SNP and their only trick

But if she does go ahead and it falls flat it would be hilarious

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

Won’t happen because the UK courts have to agree.

They’ll vote, it’ll go through, the courts will reject it. Then in the 2024 elections they’ll use “they stole our independence” as a voting slogan

I think that actually benefits the conservatives too, if I’ve understood it correctly. Because it means a labour minority would have to work with SNP. And tories will just push on how awful that would be

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

SNP can’t really lose with this. Whatever the response from Westminster it will be good for the SNP. A Denial of their right to seek freedom from Westminster will do more to help the cause of the SNP than anything else.

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

"Won’t happen because the UK courts have to agree.

They’ll vote, it’ll go through, the courts will reject it. Then in the 2024 elections they’ll use “they stole our independence” as a voting slogan

I think that actually benefits the conservatives too, if I’ve understood it correctly. Because it means a labour minority would have to work with SNP. And tories will just push on how awful that would be "

Just watched the BBC news on this. They say if the court rules against the vote it means no referendum this term. Then they fight the GE on that one issue hoping to get a large majority and therefore mandate from the people. However although it mounts pressure on whoever is PM it does not change the legal ruling and it can in theory still be denied

» Add a new message to this topic