FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Blackout Plans - Indefinite periods

Blackout Plans - Indefinite periods

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *rFunBoy OP   Man  over a year ago

Longridge

BBC are planning Public Service Announcements in the event of prolonged Total Power Loss.

This could be caused by a number of factors, loss off Gas supply from Norway or the EU, loss of undersea interconnects supplying electricity, lack of wind and solar at a time unloading the Grid wasn't possible.

Brits would be advised to use car radios or battery-powered receivers to listen to emergency broadcasts on FM and long-wave frequencies usually reserved for Radio 2 and Radio 4, according to a Guardian report.

One draft script, seen by the paper, warns a blackout could last for as long as two days, with hospitals and police put under “extreme pressure”.

Another states: “The government has said it’s hoped power will be restored in the next 36 to 48 hours. Different parts of Britain will start to receive intermittent supplies before then.”

If the BBC are planning for it then although it is not certain, there is the possibility or risk of it..

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

Longridge

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/oct/18/bbc-prepares-secret-scripts-for-possible-use-in-winter-blackouts

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

What will the BBC tell us in these broadcasts ?

By *rDiscretionXXXMan  over a year ago

Gilfach

"Brits would be advised to use car radios or battery-powered receivers to listen to emergency broadcasts on FM and long-wave frequencies usually reserved for Radio 2 and Radio 4"

I wonder how many cars still have equipment capable of tuning in to long wave broadcasts.

Longridge

"What will the BBC tell us in these broadcasts ? "

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/oct/18/bbc-prepares-secret-scripts-for-possible-use-in-winter-blackouts

I am unaware of any vehicle that usnt fitted with a Radio capable of AM broadcast reception. AM covers covers a range of bands.

My 4 week old NISSAN with DAB, has AM.

Longridge

Priority is to ensure gas supply as 80% UK homes have gas as a primary source of heat.

If you havev70's 80's gas heaters, you'll be fine.

However, if you heating whether gas heater or boiler requires 230volts to operate - you NEED to find a way to power it.

This might be Inverter Generator, EV Vehicle 2 Load or portable Battery Power Station. If the boiler has no power, it cannot run. Condensing boilers need around 80w to 150watts depending on the pump it has fitted.

So, if loosing heat during a power cut is a concern, plan to powerbit a different way.

Rhetoric here is based on 'unknowns' and suggest having a plan, regardless of whether it actually happens or not - is it not best to at least- have a plan?

By *exy_HornyCouple  over a year ago

Leigh

Whilst not joining the tin foil hat brigade it is sensible to have a plan. We have serviced the generator (had it anyway as we take it with us if we are off grid in the motorhome in winter) and ensured we have enough fuel for a few days. Found another generator in the back of the garage which will go on Ebay if we can get it running.

Also made sure we have enough dry wood for the log burner, and batteries for lighting. Keep the power banks charged.

Keep enough basic dry and tinned food for a while so allocated another cupboard to it at the start of covid and therefore the panics and shortages didn't affect us. Will be the same this winter.

Running the generator for 3 hours a day is sufficient in prolonged blackouts as it will allow the boiler to heat a tank of water and will ensure that the fridge and freezer keep cold.

So, plan with minimal / no cost.

Hopefully the utility companies have also planned so that water etc. keeps coming. Biggest potential problem is civil unrest and or social breakdown if there are prolonged problems and those who have not planned get desperate.

By *hropshireGentMan  over a year ago

shropshire

"Whilst not joining the tin foil hat brigade it is sensible to have a plan. We have serviced the generator (had it anyway as we take it with us if we are off grid in the motorhome in winter) and ensured we have enough fuel for a few days. Found another generator in the back of the garage which will go on Ebay if we can get it running.

Also made sure we have enough dry wood for the log burner, and batteries for lighting. Keep the power banks charged.

Keep enough basic dry and tinned food for a while so allocated another cupboard to it at the start of covid and therefore the panics and shortages didn't affect us. Will be the same this winter.

Running the generator for 3 hours a day is sufficient in prolonged blackouts as it will allow the boiler to heat a tank of water and will ensure that the fridge and freezer keep cold.

So, plan with minimal / no cost.

Hopefully the utility companies have also planned so that water etc. keeps coming. Biggest potential problem is civil unrest and or social breakdown if there are prolonged problems and those who have not planned get desperate."

I would be interested in buying that generator off you even if you can’t get it started. I have tried to send you a message but your filters won’t allow it

Longridge

Be careful buying and selling on here. Not something I do, but been accused if it.

I am not about project fear. As you rightly suggest, you have a generator as most campers do. So rather than just use the generator over summer, have it available with a plan to get through Winter - if by chance it is needed.

It's nothing to do with tin-hats, it's using what's available to help. In Florida, they plan for Hurricanes and you'd be considered 'a fool' for not having a plan AND a generator.

I offer to help here by sharing knowledge, ideas and practical solutions. People just might pick up information that could help them in a sticky situation.

What's to say power outage isn't caused by nothing more than a bad Storm, like Alwen last year. Those people were freezing at home without any Russian input.

To accuse me of cashing in on disaster when every DIY store or other shop are selling products to alleviate a bad Winter is somehow strange. Many here are either employed or run their own business, I run my own and it's based on Energy.

ALDI and LIDL sell electric blankets, slow cookers - are they cashing in or practicing good business sense?

I've passed on information I believe is relevant, whether anyone takes note is up to them, but getting involved with silly tit for tat - I'm done with.

I got fed up with cleaning out dirty carburettors on petrol generators, so there is a 6kw diesel sat in a box in case it's needed. If not, after two years, someone will no doubt take it off me.

At least its big enough to charge the car.

If connecting to a house, ensure its through a Transfer Switch, the Neutral-Earth is Bonded and that it is Inverter or AVR. Not a nasty cheap DIY one that can destroy electronics.

By *exy_HornyCouple  over a year ago

Leigh

"If connecting to a house, ensure its through a Transfer Switch, the Neutral-Earth is Bonded and that it is Inverter or AVR. Not a nasty cheap DIY one that can destroy electronics.

"

For our generator (900w) although a transfer switch is desirable it is not essential. We will manually switch off grid power before connecting the generator in the unlikely event that it is required. It will be connected properly and is an inverter unit.

The old one is an unregulated 2 stroke unit hence the Ebay comment.

Longridge

Just don't forget the main breaker else jail time if someone got hurt.

900w would chuff-out at trying to power your street, so you'll know pretty quick if you forgot.

Gas boilers only need 100w, fridge around 120w when running, LED lights so it's more than enough, you'd even be able to watch TV. Main thing is you'll not be cold this January though for sake of a little planning.

Just driven back from one of the last Free 3 hour Charging Sessions at Tesco before then end of the month, and flicked Radio to AM.

693mhz, 909mhz, 1089mhz still going strong with Talk Radio and Five Live and some French stations in the Static. All programmed on presets in case. From Shortwave days, I think that covers Long Wave and Medium Wave frequencies.

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

all around

[Removed by poster at 23/10/22 13:04:21]

all around

"What will the BBC tell us in these broadcasts ? "

They won't it's a secret lol only the newspapers are informed of government secrets

Longridge

Did they learn nothing from 50 years of Cold War?

In the worst-case scenario outlined in the plan, only analogue FM radios would work, with just BBC Radio 2 and 4 broadcasting, and uncertainties around local radio as some stations only have a few hours of backup generator cover.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/nov/01/government-tests-energy-blackout-emergency-plans-as-supply-fears-grow

By *oldswarriorMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

Essex Tom, is that you?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Personally I never watch or listen to the BBC. And it doesn't sound like its programming has improved much.

Longridge

At least Strictly and that Awful Wheel program will be off-air.

Family time around the candles..

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Well its upto the weather now, if we have a lovely mild winter this year it might not happen.

So a benefit of global warming?

Longridge

Global warming usually causes extremities. We can live in hope, however, the long term forecast is cold, still calm overcast days.

Pray there is no Polar Vortex over the UK or EU.

For anyone wanting cheap heat while 'leccy is on. Check out LIDL as they've got heated mattress covers back in on Thursday deals and selling like hot cakes last night.

Toasty warm bed for 30watts - 30plus hours for 34p - Bargain.

Got one last year and Alexa turns me, sorry, it on and awesome.

Longridge

Just added a Camping Cooker top to the Blackout kit. Voucher on fleabay got me some discount.

Better than the flimsy camping fold up one's you'd normally use. Looks like a real enamelled cooker hob.

I'll take it camping next year too.

Arrived this morning.

Strangely, Generator Transfer Switches are getting hard to find and doubled in price this week.

all around

"Just added a Camping Cooker top to the Blackout kit. Voucher on fleabay got me some discount.

Better than the flimsy camping fold up one's you'd normally use. Looks like a real enamelled cooker hob.

I'll take it camping next year too.

Arrived this morning.

Strangely, Generator Transfer Switches are getting hard to find and doubled in price this week."

Is that in case your generator, solar panels, batteries, gas bottles and god knows what else run out lol

Longridge

Bang on.. Belt and braces..

Especially as there are plans for 7 day complete outages. I need to buy sh#t loads of gas, petrol and diesel.

Charger has made £15 profit this week over 3 days. Second one will be running 7 days, so £45 per week will sure knock back the ROI.

That's £2.3K in my reckoning per year until September '24. Even more by setting total export Solar against charging.

"Greener car charging"- might be some marketing there.

Longridge

Don't think 27x 12kg to 15kg bottles Butane will run out too soon. Strange price per litre Butane is 12p less on smaller bottles.

135 hours on setting one

70 hours on two

39 hours on three

And I have three.. toasty or what? Already been using them in work areas to boost before Sun Rises.

Longridge

You forgot to mention the Air Conditioners which I've just turned off as not very efficient today - must be cold outside.

Looks like resistive heaters from the batteries and some 4p/kwh main gas input tonight for 45 mins.

all around

Tell me about it, our sauna is roasting. The pool is a bit cool must turn it up later.

Longridge

Awesome..

Longridge

For those that might be interested..

Planned power outages, water might still be available if electricity supply can be separated. It may also be possible with notice that water companies can move around generators.

In regards to unplanned, other factors come into play.

Water supply and sewage treatment will be affected. Stock up on water containers with potable water in. You could change water daily on bottles while available but better from fresh, sealed bottles.

Local TV, FM and DAB will likely go off-Air after a few hours depending on plans with Auxiliary power which may be prioritised to larger Stations.

FreeSat will still be available if you get Satellite signal as your TV source.

Mobile phone mast batteries were observed failing after a couple of days. BT exchanges can also run for short periods on battery. It might be possible that Broadband is off to conserve power to ensure telephone service is maintained.

Data centres have backup power and have had negotiations with government with intention to keep powered. However, don't rely on Internet being available if unplanned natonal outages occur.

Also, fridge and freezer contents may be lost after extended outage with mitigation or alternative power

Just some things to bear in mind.

all around

"For those that might be interested..

Planned power outages, water might still be available if electricity supply can be separated. It may also be possible with notice that water companies can move around generators.

Water supply and sewage treatment will be affected. Stock up on water containers with potable water in. You could change water daily on bottles while available but better from fresh, sealed bottles.

Local TV, FM and DAB will likely go off-Air after a few hours depending on plans with Auxiliary power which may be prioritised to larger Stations.

Mobile phone mast batteries were observed failing after a couple of days. BT exchanges can also run for short periods on battery. It might be possible that Broadband is off to conserve power to ensure telephone service is maintained.

Data centres have backup power and have had negotiations with government with intention to keep powered. However, don't rely on Internet being available if unplanned natonal outages occur.

Also, fridge and freezer contents may be lost after extended outage with mitigation or alternative power

Just some things to bear in mind."

Don't forget to buy a bucket to shit in folks !!

all around

Oh and before I forget, make sure you have two shapes of bucket

Square one to wash dishes and round one to poop in, and please don't mix them up

"Oh and before I forget, make sure you have two shapes of bucket

Square one to wash dishes and round one to poop in, and please don't mix them up"

damn zombie apocalypse

Longridge

Nightmare isn't it!!

all around

"Nightmare isn't it!!"

Only if you believe lol

By *uddy laneMan  over a year ago

dudley

Just some things to bear in mind."

Question.. would an outage disable a banks cctv.

Just some things to bear in mind.

Question.. would an outage disable a banks cctv. "

lol good one

Longridge

Keep laughing.. enjoy it

Althpugh soon, it may not be a laughing matter.. it's on a knife-edge and falling the wrong way - unprepared people will die.

Falling the right way, what's it cost, a thousand quid for a generator that's already £450 more today than when I bought it, £850 on the diesel. So doubt I'd loose a penny, I'd make a profit so it's a good job foresaw and bought 2x diesels with intention of selling one.

Oh no, profiteering on doom again. Yep, bring it on.

Banks.. dunno, you'd have to ask. They might handle fraudulent grant cheques though!

He who laughs last, laughs the longest.

Oh, I see NationalGrid's planning is being announced and paying for offload is in there. Need to find the application form.

It's a shame people believe a government that treats its population like mushrooms. It leads to bad decisions.

Mushrooms and Lettuces - what a year, maybe cabbages in January.

By *uddy laneMan  over a year ago

dudley

The end is nigh.

Longridge

You know,

It may just well be..

By *-4pleasureCouple  over a year ago

Belfast

"Keep laughing.. enjoy it

Althpugh soon, it may not be a laughing matter.. it's on a knife-edge and falling the wrong way - unprepared people will die.

Falling the right way, what's it cost, a thousand quid for a generator that's already £450 more today than when I bought it, £850 on the diesel. So doubt I'd loose a penny, I'd make a profit so it's a good job foresaw and bought 2x diesels with intention of selling one.

Oh no, profiteering on doom again. Yep, bring it on.

Banks.. dunno, you'd have to ask. They might handle fraudulent grant cheques though!

He who laughs last, laughs the longest.

Oh, I see NationalGrid's planning is being announced and paying for offload is in there. Need to find the application form.

It's a shame people believe a government that treats its population like mushrooms. It leads to bad decisions.

Mushrooms and Lettuces - what a year, maybe cabbages in January."

Am I the only one who feels this gent is getting a sexual kick fantasising about a black out?

It’s a common trait of survivalists to believe they’re more intelligent than the “sheeple”.

They then love to outline at length to those same “sheeple” just how more intelligent they are.

We’ll continue to enjoy life, family, and holidays and leave that wet dream of a dystopian future for yourself and your fellow travellers to savour.

Longridge

I enjoy life too.

Definitely no sexual kick at the prospect of seeing people freeze to death at home or in Care Home due to days without power.

Enjoy January, you might just realise there was something in it.

It's in the data..

Longridge

It is strange how uninformed people prefer personal insults over joining a debate and discussion.

Seems to be the way of the World these days.

Trumpism or COVIDism?

If you disagree, I am more than happy to listen and view your evidence, maybe you'd even change my way of thinking, if I am incorrect. Debating I believe?

all around

"It is strange how uninformed people prefer personal insults over joining a debate and discussion.

Seems to be the way of the World these days.

Trumpism or COVIDism?

If you disagree, I am more than happy to listen and view your evidence, maybe you'd even change my way of thinking, if I am incorrect. Debating I believe?"

It ok, keep making this stuff up it is quite enjoyable lol

Meanwhile I need to think wether I should leave the pool heating on when we are away in the canaries or turn it off, last time the staff seemed quite upset about the steam coming out of the pool house most of the winter and nobody using it.

Longridge

Your money, your choice. A paddling pool doesn't use much anyway.

In a recent survey asking "do you believe their will be disruption to energy supply this winter".

54% - believed there will be

22% - absolutely not

24% - were unsure

So, if over 54% believe there could be ussues such as 3 hour rationing, 10 hour failure or days of complete loss.

I don't think I'm alone.

Many are blinkered in government Rose Tinted spin. Others are preparing but many have no idea what to do or where to start.

Money would not be offered avoid consuming electricity if there wasn't an underlying concern. That being, there is too much load on the Grid at tines the wind is blowing and the sun had set reducing Solar input.

Add to this no Import from Norway or France at times of high demand. Magic hats won't cut it as simply put, there is not enough generation capacity in this country to stand-alone from Europe.

National Grid know it and unfortunately, so does Putin. Regardless of damage to undersea infrastructure, there is not enough system capacity and 9 days Gas storage won't cut it.

We only just scraped Summer:

40°C heatwave pushed UK grid to the brink of blackouts with electricity demand close to outstripping supply.

Outstrip supply, the results are inevitable.. Blackouts.

Longridge

Last week, I had a conversation with a guy, convinced Y2K - the Millennium Bug was a money making Press Conspiracy.

Aircraft didn't fall out the sky Sewage didn't polute the rivers, water remained running from taps, electricity stayed on and many other things the so called 'prophets of room were suggesting".

I got paid £3000 on 31st December 1999 to be on stand-by for one of the UKs largest Utility companies involved in water and electricity supply.

Why didn't these awful things happen?

Simple- preparation, as 6 months prior, myself and another small team went around every water and Sewage treatment works identifying and testing any piece if kit with a clock in it.

Setting the date to 31/12/1999 and 11:55pm, 23:55 and wait 10 minutes with contingency in case the kit failed such as manual overrides.

Many PLCs were changed for updated, many timers were changed - all months before the real event.

So, getting back yo the conversation with Conspiracy Guy. Was Y2K a Press instilled panic or did it make people sit down, check and prepare.

I know the only reason river's were not polluted or water supply remained on the 1st Jan 2000 was that in the background, a lot of work was done to make it the "non event" it was. I argued that paying £3000 wasn't necessary but they insisted for us to remain sober and available.

I did end up giving telephone support to Severn Trent water where it was decided to switch off a timer and set to manual, where I drive down on the third and changed a time switch as we had one and back order was long waiting.

Preparation and mitigation was key.

Was Y2K real - yes it was.

all around

"Your money, your choice. A paddling pool doesn't use much anyway.

In a recent survey asking "do you believe their will be disruption to energy supply this winter".

54% - believed there will be

22% - absolutely not

24% - were unsure

So, if over 54% believe there could be ussues such as 3 hour rationing, 10 hour failure or days of complete loss.

I don't think I'm alone.

Many are blinkered in government Rose Tinted spin. Others are preparing but many have no idea what to do or where to start.

Money would not be offered avoid consuming electricity if there wasn't an underlying concern. That being, there is too much load on the Grid at tines the wind is blowing and the sun had set reducing Solar input.

Add to this no Import from Norway or France at times of high demand. Magic hats won't cut it as simply put, there is not enough generation capacity in this country to stand-alone from Europe.

National Grid know it and unfortunately, so does Putin. Regardless of damage to undersea infrastructure, there is not enough system capacity and 9 days Gas storage won't cut it.

We only just scraped Summer:

40°C heatwave pushed UK grid to the brink of blackouts with electricity demand close to outstripping supply.

Outstrip supply, the results are inevitable.. Blackouts.

"

You seem to be very afraid, that's a pity, most people learned from COVID that worrying isn't good and led to many other mental issues.

Perhaps it's time to seek some professional help and not try to burden yourself with the problems of the world.

The vast majority of people survived blackouts during the two world wars and many other times so don't fret, you'll be fine.

Longridge

I'm afraid if nothing, I'm prepared for off grid- remember.

My only concern is vulnerable people who rely on heating and electricity to survive and 7 days without either could be life threatening to them.

Storm Arwen - days without power, old people with hyperthermia that was completely unnecessary?

Longridge

I'm happy to debate with anyone.

But personal attacks such as my mental status isn't unnecessary and not really a grown up conversation.

all around

"I'm happy to debate with anyone.

But personal attacks such as my mental status isn't unnecessary and not really a grown up conversation."

Seeing offers of concern as a personal attack isn't healthy.

You really shouldn't get so wound up, the forums are meant to be fun, and until now I thought you were just having a laugh but it getting more and more worrying.

At the end of the day, if your attack on pipelines were to come true then we would be at war with Russia and a few days without electric will be the least of our worries. The nuclear winter will be a lot worse.

Just as well it's all propaganda that the rest of us are ignoring, no point getting yourself all stressed about something that probably won't happen and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it even if it does.

Anyway, I'll leave it there and just hope you do try to focus on something a bit more positive in life

Longridge

My attack on the pipelines? If I did that, I would be charged and probably shot for Treason - plus I don't own a ship or submarine and I'd prefer to have UK power remaining on.

Propaganda, a strange term for articles in the regulated press, freely available to all to read, from mostly reputable outlets and easily cross checked.

I, personally would be more concerned at why for the whole of summer the government line has been carry on as normal as we have a robust and diverse energy system. Then those that are actually involved with supply and generation start leaking the truth to the press, the government didn't want in the domain.

If, a big if it did happen. It will be more sanctions as Putin probably already worked out we wouldn't go Nuclear over loosing 40% of Gas supply.

2 months ago, Liz Truss was claiming no rationing and certainly no risk of power cuts to now find there are plans for controlled outage, uncontrolled outage and potentially complete system failure - if there is input from a foreign actor.

We've had 9 months to prepare. Yesterday, I was at a local B&Q, an elderly couple was in front of me with a Gas Heater (dam, I said those words - the thought police), on their trolley.

Jokingly, I said, are you expecting a cold Winter. The lady in her 80's said "no, we think we're going to need it as we lived through the 70s blackouts and it was horrible, I want to be warm and this is just in case".

Smiling to myself, I asked if she meant possibly of power cuts to which a further conversation as to where they can find gas bottles struck up.

At this point, the check out operator asked me "are these not being bought as it's cheaper than running a boiler, as we've never sold so many. 50 will arrive and they are sold out within a couple of days".

Pointing at the pallet in the middle of the store where you walk in and only two left, I explained why I believe they are selling so many and she was taken a-back.

Before leaving, she called over two other colleagues to hear again why I think they should have one. I know one of the staff has taken one as she took one in the back to pay for later, and take home.

"I had not realised that during power cuts, the boiler won't run" was her words. I'd been there 20 minutes and didn't want to get into defrosted freezers, so left.

Walk in any B&Q and more than likely they are near the checkouts on pallets in Green/White boxes in the centre of the aisle in a prominent position. They have been so for the last 3 or 4 weeks.

On Saturday within 30miles of me, there were over 120 in stock in stores, last night it was down to around 20 with many sold out. They suspended Click and Collect 5 weeks ago. I'd put the product code but could be at risk of being accused of a service.

So, I think my mental state is in good stead and there has been only one person has suggested there may be a problem, others I've spoken to over the summer are now saying "you were right, have you seen the news". Do they think I haven't?

I worry about the those that stick their heads in the sand believing and telling others there is nothing to be concerned about, even going as far as comments I've seen previously.

Comments that are provable truth labelled "BS", I don't need an EV Tariff to charge a car. 12p/kwh for 4 hours overnight to then be 42p/kwh during the day. Even EV drivers are switching to flat Tariffs like the 19.9/kwh I have for another two years, although theirs is 34p/kwh until April.

I was always told "forewarned is forearmed" and the drip-drip news that is coming out is in direct conflict to the government line.

I have seen graver posts on this Forum which attract little attention and being a Politics forum, is the discussion not about politics and how political decisions affect us?

Is it the subject or author attracting the attention?

Thanks for the concern, but I think I'm OK for the moment.

Low Frequency Grid Disconnection- now that's an interesting subject. Details later.

Excellent video on the Grid and distribution here for anyone interested in power distribution. Since then, the stated 3000 EVs has risen to 1million this year.

https://youtu.be/vX0G9F42puY

In the last 12 years, we've 100% switched dirty coal to clean gas - with a problem built in - Supply!!

all around

Theres a lot worse things happening in the world than some poor person having to wait a few hours to boil a kettle or missing Coronation Street no matter how much it's exaggerated.

Longridge

Yes, like dying of avoidable hyperthermia!

Longridge

We're lucky, we can mitigate.

4.5 million Ukrainians can't.

all around

"Yes, like dying of avoidable hyperthermia!"

Mostly through fuel poverty unfortunately, not conspiracy stories

By *ornucopiaMan  over a year ago

Bexley

"Yes, like dying of avoidable hyperthermia!"

Easy to avoid by turning the heat down.

By *unbunsCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

Suggest you stop watching the BBC news until it has something positive to broadcast. Don’t forget, we may also have no turkeys this year because panic buying is around the corner, caused yet again by BBC sensationalist journalism.

"Yes, like dying of avoidable hyperthermia!

Easy to avoid by turning the heat down."

lol

» Add a new message to this topic