FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Food banks are running out of food.

Food banks are running out of food.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hagTonight OP   Man  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

We know one who works as a volunteer at a food bank which is a nice thing to do and he is saying that they are running out of food, as I understand it, could the reason be because of the living crisis and those who give food to food banks cant as much, because they need the food more than before themselves?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It’s probably that reason sadly

By *ackandtheunicornCouple  over a year ago

liverpool

People have less and less money thanks to the economy.

Well most people anyway.

By *lephantisMan  over a year ago

Oxford

I'm sure it is that. What a revolting little country we are. And neither of the two main parties are offering remotely the policies to tackle the multiple, existential crises affecting us all.

Still, the important thing is that Bad Enoch will kick trans people as Equalities Minister and Braverman will send desperate refugees to die in Rwanda, so at least all the very worst people in Britain will continue to get what the Daily Mail tells them they want.

For those who ARE able to donate to the Trussell Trust, etc, don't forget to pop in a bit of chocolate or nice fruit among the sensible pasta, tins, etc. People having a hard time of it deserve treats as well as sustenance - and isn't making a stranger happy the reason we are all on Fab?

By *host63Man  over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

If people are struggling to meet their own day to day needs then it's hard to give.

Sadly the way it is.

By *host63Man  over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

If people are struggling to meet their own day to day needs then it's hard to give.

Sadly the way it is.

By *ssex_tomMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

"If people are struggling to meet their own day to day needs then it's hard to give.

Sadly the way it is."

You can say that again..

By *astandtheCurious2Couple  over a year ago

letchworth

Less people able to give at a time when more people than ever are having to use them

"If people are struggling to meet their own day to day needs then it's hard to give.

Sadly the way it is.

You can say that again.."

Sadly the way it is.

People also don't have such a big disposable income this time of year. It's having an effect on everyone.

Apparently there’s no need for food banks, people just can’t cook!

https://youtu.be/2ieCX-Mn1W8

By *ohn KanakaMan  over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

"Apparently there’s no need for food banks, people just can’t cook!

https://youtu.be/2ieCX-Mn1W8"

Plus to quote a post from another thread, people could just get a better paid job or work longer hours!

It's terrifying, we are approaching a winter where people won't be able to afford to eat, will have limited handouts available and not be able to afford heating either.

At what point do we accept that 12 years of Tory austerity has forced a huge amount of people in to poverty, that rising interests rates and inflation are going to do the same to many middle income families and recognise something desperately needs to change.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"It's terrifying, we are approaching a winter where people won't be able to afford to eat, will have limited handouts available and not be able to afford heating either.

At what point do we accept that 12 years of Tory austerity has forced a huge amount of people in to poverty, that rising interests rates and inflation are going to do the same to many middle income families and recognise something desperately needs to change. "

Some of us have already realised. The majority never will I'm afraid.

"Apparently there’s no need for food banks, people just can’t cook!

https://youtu.be/2ieCX-Mn1W8

Plus to quote a post from another thread, people could just get a better paid job or work longer hours!

"

It’s just so obvious. People are just too lazy these days!!

"It’s probably that reason sadly "
Yes, it is very sad too.

"It's terrifying, we are approaching a winter where people won't be able to afford to eat, will have limited handouts available and not be able to afford heating either.

At what point do we accept that 12 years of Tory austerity has forced a huge amount of people in to poverty, that rising interests rates and inflation are going to do the same to many middle income families and recognise something desperately needs to change. "

Every European Country has food banks, as do the US and Canada, with every type of Government. Amazing the influence these Tories have .

At what point do we accept that 12 years of Tory austerity has forced a huge amount of people in to poverty, that rising interests rates and inflation are going to do the same to many middle income families and recognise something desperately needs to change.

Some of us have already realised. The majority never will I'm afraid. "

Yes. I would also say that 12 years of the torys have led to this situation and you are right there too that the majority wont realise that the torys are mostly for the rich and not for the average earners, until they do then a change could come.

By *asycouple1971Couple  over a year ago

midlands

We used to give to food banks but have stopped due to the increase in cost of living and the uncertainty for next year.

Will try and do some before XMas depending on what this Govt decides.

Every European Country has food banks, as do the US and Canada, with every type of Government. Amazing the influence these Tories have .

"

Remond me how many we had in 2011?

Remind me how many people live on poverty?

Remind me how many children live in poverty and go hungry?

And obviously that's not the party who have held power for the last 12 years and who launched savage public sector cuts that would always hit the poorest and most vulnerable harderst's fault, then who exactly would you hold accountable?

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

Some of us have already realised. The majority never will I'm afraid. "

People will continue to vote themselves into poverty. No sign of the end of the Tories reign.

By *otMe66Man  over a year ago

Terra Firma

I'm starting to form an opinion on the way food banks are operating, mainly down to threads like this that have encouraged me to look into things a little more.

What I have found and was not surprised by, is the structure of the organisations running food banks. They have regional and are managers, local managers, head of graphic design, chief financial officer and so on, the salaries are readily available if you were to dig about.

Many charities go this route, in a bid to build a bigger better charity, run better whilst improving services and reach.

But is it really the best way? The food bank started from a shed in Salisbury, it obviously worked, now there are so many rules and regs I wonder if it could be reversed back to a more simple community donation.

I don't know if that would be a move for good or bad, but it has got me thinking more deeply about food banks, the need for them and how people need to seek permission for referral.

Pass me the wand

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

all around

"I'm starting to form an opinion on the way food banks are operating, mainly down to threads like this that have encouraged me to look into things a little more.

What I have found and was not surprised by, is the structure of the organisations running food banks. They have regional and are managers, local managers, head of graphic design, chief financial officer and so on, the salaries are readily available if you were to dig about.

Many charities go this route, in a bid to build a bigger better charity, run better whilst improving services and reach.

But is it really the best way? The food bank started from a shed in Salisbury, it obviously worked, now there are so many rules and regs I wonder if it could be reversed back to a more simple community donation.

I don't know if that would be a move for good or bad, but it has got me thinking more deeply about food banks, the need for them and how people need to seek permission for referral.

Pass me the wand"

So are you saying the food banks have now morphed into a business ?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I'm starting to form an opinion on the way food banks are operating, mainly down to threads like this that have encouraged me to look into things a little more.

Pass me the wand"

It's difficult. On the one hand to run efficiently and successfully you need to attract good start on the other I feel slightly uncomfortable that the organisation depends on donations and volunteers to operate, it seems contradictory to me.

I think it's right that you need a referral because there are a minority who would take advantage of the situation.

I think the scale of need and the organisation required is too huge now to be run by people with no accountability or job specification from a shed.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

*good staff

Pass me the wand"

A cursory Google suggests that list foodbanks have ine salaried employee, I suspect that many of the other roles are simply because many foodbanks fall under the umbrella of larger charities.

But let's not forget that there are tens of thousands of volunteers helping at them.

And the fact that we have gome from hardly any food banks, to small volunteer led initiatives to registered charities and paid employees in little more than a decade is a damming reflection of our society.

I'm nit sure if you are implying that foodbanks are profiteering, but that's really not the case

Terra Firma

Pass me the wand

It's difficult. On the one hand to run efficiently and successfully you need to attract good start on the other I feel slightly uncomfortable that the organisation depends on donations and volunteers to operate, it seems contradictory to me.

I think it's right that you need a referral because there are a minority who would take advantage of the situation.

I think the scale of need and the organisation required is too huge now to be run by people with no accountability or job specification from a shed."

It needs good staff and organisation if it grows beyond the shed.

My thoughts are, do we need all the sheds to be part of the same link / organisation, or can areas simply have a shed where people can donate and take food, nothing fancy and nothing controlled. Would that help? Yes it could be abused, but to be honest if I dropped off some tins, cereals or pasta and it was taken it is not the end of the world.

Can food distribution from those who have spare, be made easier. Would donating food be easier if it was more local and you could do it whenever you wanted to?

I'm not saying the way it is done today is wrong, just is it over engineered?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Pass me the wand

I think the scale of need and the organisation required is too huge now to be run by people with no accountability or job specification from a shed.

It needs good staff and organisation if it grows beyond the shed.

My thoughts are, do we need all the sheds to be part of the same link / organisation, or can areas simply have a shed where people can donate and take food, nothing fancy and nothing controlled. Would that help? Yes it could be abused, but to be honest if I dropped off some tins, cereals or pasta and it was taken it is not the end of the world.

Can food distribution from those who have spare, be made easier. Would donating food be easier if it was more local and you could do it whenever you wanted to?

I'm not saying the way it is done today is wrong, just is it over engineered?"

No I don't think it's over engineered. Something of the scale these have now become needs organisation

All big charities resemble big businesses with the same dynamics of continual growth and careerism. They can still do great work of course.

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Time for soylent green?

Ok it's not a joking matter but I wonder how many years away we are from a science fiction style future in a Logan's run future those over 40 are culled to curb the population.

Soylent green food to feed the masses free and cheap.

Till they discover its made from recycling dead people!!

Ok all a bit far fetched.

However if I were a conspiracy theorist covid was invented to reduce the ageing population.

Same could be said from energy crisis prevent elderly staying warm.

Look this is all a bit tongue in cheek but after all the that's going on at the moment, nothing would surprise me.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Time for soylent green?

Ok it's not a joking matter but I wonder how many years away we are from a science fiction style future in a Logan's run future those over 40 are culled to curb the population.

However if I were a conspiracy theorist covid was invented to reduce the ageing population.

Look this is all a bit tongue in cheek but after all the that's going on at the moment, nothing would surprise me."

Something has to give. Is the problem not enough food or too many people? Is the solution more food or fewer people?

Can we raise the culling age to 100 for me please I haven't finished what I came here for

By *exy_HornyCouple  over a year ago

Leigh

"Time for soylent green?

Look this is all a bit tongue in cheek but after all the that's going on at the moment, nothing would surprise me.

Something has to give. Is the problem not enough food or too many people? Is the solution more food or fewer people?

Can we raise the culling age to 100 for me please I haven't finished what I came here for "

The problem is lack of affordable housing caused by successive governments inability to balance housing demand and supply.

Whether that is achieved by reducing population or increasing housing supply is a debate for another thread.

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

[Removed by poster at 26/10/22 15:43:44]

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

"It’s probably that reason sadly "

Will be the only reason.

My daughter asked me to give some harvest festival tins to her for her friend to take in. She was so embarrassed about not being able to.

She was worried about being singled out.

The UK in 2022, really?

Goverment should help supply food banks.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Apparently from today if you go into Morrisons cafe and ask for Henry you get a free jacket potato with Heinz beans.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"It’s probably that reason sadly

Will be the only reason.

My daughter asked me to give some harvest festival tins to her for her friend to take in. She was so embarrassed about not being able to.

The UK in 2022, really?

Goverment should help supply food banks."

Should they? Or should they be working towards people being able to earn enough to feed themselves?

"Less people able to give at a time when more people than ever are having to use them"
Yes and also food products like pasta have gone up to 60%, so expensive to buy as well.

"It’s probably that reason sadly

Will be the only reason.

The UK in 2022, really?

Goverment should help supply food banks."

No the government should be working to eliminate poverty and the need for foodbanks rather than have policies thst exacerbate the need for them

Most food banks particularly those that are not part of one of the big networks like the tussle trust rely on harvest festivals and Christmas to keep stocks up. In my local area donations have actually gone up however I do live in an affluent part of London.

The food bank where I used to live in Southampton has been posting recently that they have noticed a significant decline in donations particularly during the harvest festival season which as I said above they normally rely on.

There is still an unbelievable level of food waste in this country. It's a shame better systems aren't in place to address this.

"There is still an unbelievable level of food waste in this country. It's a shame better systems aren't in place to address this. "
Yes there is and also from supermarkets, maybe they could do more and give the left overs to the food banks, that would be a good start I think too

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"There is still an unbelievable level of food waste in this country. It's a shame better systems aren't in place to address this. Yes there is and also from supermarkets, maybe they could do more and give the left overs to the food banks, that would be a good start I think too "

Many of them do already

Terra Firma

[Removed by poster at 26/10/22 19:17:49]

Terra Firma

"There is still an unbelievable level of food waste in this country. It's a shame better systems aren't in place to address this. Yes there is and also from supermarkets, maybe they could do more and give the left overs to the food banks, that would be a good start I think too "

there is a genuine issue of cutting back food waste.

If the manufacture of produce is cut back as food waste begins to lesson, the need of production becomes less, the costs of the products will rise.

If we can keep the cost of the product low by producing slightly more, not massively more, it is within our reach to purchase and share.

As for better food waste management at the store level, turning that fresh produce into meals that can extend the life of the food and provide nutritious meals for people who need them, is an option that is under utilised in this country.

In the US, it has been known for restaurants to receive food coming to its end date and making big batches of food from them, providing the food to the homeless and people in need. It works there, I can't see why it can't work here with the right motivation and backers.

By *os19Man  over a year ago

Edmonton

On another thread someone asked the question if you were donating food to the food bank would you donate a known brand say something like Heinz baked beans or a supermarket own brand.I always donate own brands as you get more for your money than by helping out more people.Could it be that food banks are running low on food because people don’t want to donate supermarket own brands as they feel it’s inferior quality , if they won’t eat it why should anyone else , don’t want to look cheap etc etc

By *0shadesOfFilthMan  over a year ago

nearby

No ban on the non dom scheme was announced by the prime minster; £3.2bn escaping HMRC annually. No lectures on hard times please

Most already do this and word with charities such as fairshare

"On another thread someone asked the question if you were donating food to the food bank would you donate a known brand say something like Heinz baked beans or a supermarket own brand.I always donate own brands as you get more for your money than by helping out more people.Could it be that food banks are running low on food because people don’t want to donate supermarket own brands as they feel it’s inferior quality , if they won’t eat it why should anyone else , don’t want to look cheap etc etc "

I don't think so as I have worked in food banks and the majority of the items are supermarket own.

Edmonton

"On another thread someone asked the question if you were donating food to the food bank would you donate a known brand say something like Heinz baked beans or a supermarket own brand.I always donate own brands as you get more for your money than by helping out more people.Could it be that food banks are running low on food because people don’t want to donate supermarket own brands as they feel it’s inferior quality , if they won’t eat it why should anyone else , don’t want to look cheap etc etc

I don't think so as I have worked in food banks and the majority of the items are supermarket own. "

. Ok fair enough as you have worked in food banks you have a better understanding and knowledge than most.

"On another thread someone asked the question if you were donating food to the food bank would you donate a known brand say something like Heinz baked beans or a supermarket own brand.I always donate own brands as you get more for your money than by helping out more people.Could it be that food banks are running low on food because people don’t want to donate supermarket own brands as they feel it’s inferior quality , if they won’t eat it why should anyone else , don’t want to look cheap etc etc

I don't think so as I have worked in food banks and the majority of the items are supermarket own. . Ok fair enough as you have worked in food banks you have a better understanding and knowledge than most."

I think the general rule of thumb is not to donate things that you wouldn't eat yourself but rather than the brand more about the quality. So for example we would not ever give out food that was out of date in a food parcel, However we would put it on a table and if people wanted to take it then they were welcome to do so. Same with fresh fruit and veg that had definitely seen better days it would not go in the food parcel but if people wanted it they could choose to take it.

Edmonton

I don't think so as I have worked in food banks and the majority of the items are supermarket own. . Ok fair enough as you have worked in food banks you have a better understanding and knowledge than most.

I think the general rule of thumb is not to donate things that you wouldn't eat yourself but rather than the brand more about the quality. So for example we would not ever give out food that was out of date in a food parcel, However we would put it on a table and if people wanted to take it then they were welcome to do so. Same with fresh fruit and veg that had definitely seen better days it would not go in the food parcel but if people wanted it they could choose to take it. "

. I tend to keep it simple baked beans & pasta don’t think you can go far wrong with those and yes these are things that I eat.

Chelmsford

Is the answer for the food banks to balance the books. It sounds like they are giving more out than they take in ..

"Is the answer for the food banks to balance the books. It sounds like they are giving more out than they take in .."

I don't think you understand what a food bank does. They physically cannot give out more food than they have can they.

"There is still an unbelievable level of food waste in this country. It's a shame better systems aren't in place to address this. Yes there is and also from supermarkets, maybe they could do more and give the left overs to the food banks, that would be a good start I think too

Most already do this and word with charities such as fairshare"

That's good to hear but still, 200,000 tonnes thrown away just from supermarkets!

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/feb/22/supermarkets-wasting-200000-tonnes-of-food-that-could-go-to-needy-say-charities

Chelmsford

"There is still an unbelievable level of food waste in this country. It's a shame better systems aren't in place to address this. Yes there is and also from supermarkets, maybe they could do more and give the left overs to the food banks, that would be a good start I think too

That's good to hear but still, 200,000 tonnes thrown away just from supermarkets!

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/feb/22/supermarkets-wasting-200000-tonnes-of-food-that-could-go-to-needy-say-charities"

Most of it rotting.. the poor to be given rotting food and be grateful.. ?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/feb/22/supermarkets-wasting-200000-tonnes-of-food-that-could-go-to-needy-say-charities

Most of it rotting.. the poor to be given rotting food and be grateful.. ?"

Unless you have ever been in a food bank and seen the quality of the food they give out you really don't get to comment on whether it's rotten or not because I can assure you it isn't.

Terra Firma

Unless you have ever been in a food bank and seen the quality of the food they give out you really don't get to comment on whether it's rotten or not because I can assure you it isn't. "

Nice reply... anyone should be able to comment, you can maybe educate based on your experience, assuming its legit.

Or pull the "I know better than you card"

Unless you have ever been in a food bank and seen the quality of the food they give out you really don't get to comment on whether it's rotten or not because I can assure you it isn't.

Nice reply... anyone should be able to comment, you can maybe educate based on your experience, assuming its legit.

Or pull the "I know better than you card" "

I have been inside several food banks, I have worked with organisations that collect food from supermarkets and I was telling him very clearly rotten food is not given out as part of a food parcel, also I have tried to educate him and others on the matter. Maybe if you have some knowledge you could do the same rather than criticising people that do know what they're talking about.

By *hropshireGentMan  over a year ago

shropshire

I think good banks are great idea but the media is publicising them too much.

I know one individual that has a wife and 3 kids, drives a Porsche and has his own business and 2 houses he rents out.

He boasts about how he can feed his whole family for free from the food bank.

By *essie.Woman  over a year ago

Serendipity

I’m not surprised and am sure it’s down to the rise in the cost of living.

There is a rise in the working poor using food banks. I was talking to an energy adviser who works with the most vulnerable about this the other day.

The Government needs to do more, but I won’t hold my breath based on the circus performance of the past few weeks!

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

"I’m not surprised and am sure it’s down to the rise in the cost of living.

There is a rise in the working poor using food banks. I was talking to an energy adviser who works with the most vulnerable about this the other day.

The Government needs to do more, but I won’t hold my breath based on the circus performance of the past few weeks! "

The circus performance has been going on for 12 years.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I think good banks are great idea but the media is publicising them too much.

I know one individual that has a wife and 3 kids, drives a Porsche and has his own business and 2 houses he rents out.

He boasts about how he can feed his whole family for free from the food bank. "

How does he access the vouchers?

I can smell BS

Forum Mod

East Sussex

How does he access the vouchers?"

Also the idea of food banks is that you can feed your family. Maybe he is in financial difficulty and doesn't want you to know

I highly doubt this. He would need to be involved with an organisation to get a voucher and they would know his situation.

Also anybody that claims they can feed an entire family well from a food bank isn't telling the truth.

Just so you know for a family of 4 they would receive

4 tins of soup

Packet of rice

Packet pasta

Tea or coffee

Packet of Cereal

2 tins of fish

3 tins of vegetables

2 tins of tomatoes

5 tins ff meat like hot dogs or tinned minced beef ect

2 tens of fruit

2 tins of custard or rice pudding

Jar of Jam or spread

2 packets of biscuits or chocolate.

Some food banks if they have availability will also give family things like long life milk, Sugar, Flour ect

They may also have bread and fresh fruit and vegetables and possibly eggs this very much depends on the food bank and if they Ve been able to get any waste food from supermarkets.

I highly doubt this. He would need to be involved with an organisation to get a voucher and they would know his situation.

Also anybody that claims they can feed an entire family well from a food bank isn't telling the truth.

4 tins of soup

Packet of rice

Packet pasta

Tea or coffee

Packet of Cereal

2 tins of fish

3 tins of vegetables

2 tins of tomatoes

2 tens of fruit

Jar of Jam or spread

Some food banks if they have availability will also give family things like long life milk, Sugar, Flour ect

They may also have bread and fresh fruit and vegetables and possibly eggs this very much depends on the food bank and if they Ve been able to get any waste food from supermarkets. "

I forgot 2 to 3 tins of beans and 2 packets of noodles.

Terra Firma

[Removed by poster at 27/10/22 10:05:58]

Terra Firma

4 tins of soup

Packet of rice

Packet pasta

Tea or coffee

Packet of Cereal

2 tins of fish

3 tins of vegetables

2 tins of tomatoes

2 tens of fruit

Jar of Jam or spread

They may also have bread and fresh fruit and vegetables and possibly eggs this very much depends on the food bank and if they Ve been able to get any waste food from supermarkets.

I forgot 2 to 3 tins of beans and 2 packets of noodles. "

In my local supermarket they used to give out lists of most in need, and not in need food items, I have not seen them do this for ages! I thought it was a great idea as normally I see the cages were the food is left full of the same things or items that are not suitable.

I have also noticed that the supermarket discounts the fresh food at a specific time in the evening, it attracts a lot of the same faces, who tend to take most of the items quickly. Apparently, no item will be priced above 50p with most items prices at 10p.

Is this experience unique or replicated nationally?

4 tins of soup

Packet of rice

Packet pasta

Tea or coffee

Packet of Cereal

2 tins of fish

3 tins of vegetables

2 tins of tomatoes

2 tens of fruit

Jar of Jam or spread

I forgot 2 to 3 tins of beans and 2 packets of noodles.

In my local supermarket they used to give out lists of most in need, and not in need food items, I have not seen them do this for ages! I thought it was a great idea as normally I see the cages were the food is left full of the same things or items that are not suitable.

I have also noticed that the supermarket discounts the fresh food at a specific time in the evening, it attracts a lot of the same faces, who tend to take most of the items quickly. Apparently, no item will be priced above 50p with most items prices at 10p.

Is this experience unique or replicated nationally?

"

Most supermarkets heavily discount food that has expiry dates that day. We often buy reduced items if we are going to eat them that day or the next or can freeze them.

I currently have 3 bags of diced chicken in the freezer I picked up for £1.23 each

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

4 tins of soup

Packet of rice

Packet pasta

Tea or coffee

Packet of Cereal

2 tins of fish

3 tins of vegetables

2 tins of tomatoes

2 tens of fruit

Jar of Jam or spread

They may also have bread and fresh fruit and vegetables and possibly eggs this very much depends on the food bank and if they Ve been able to get any waste food from supermarkets. "

Lots of the small charity and church food banks refuse to "discriminate people in need by asking for proof of their need" (their quote, not mine) and hand out food bags to anyone who lines up for it. Yes the Trussell trust asks for only reffered people in need, but many many others don't

Chelmsford

4 tins of soup

Packet of rice

Packet pasta

Tea or coffee

Packet of Cereal

2 tins of fish

3 tins of vegetables

2 tins of tomatoes

2 tens of fruit

Jar of Jam or spread

Eating like kings to be fair then..

4 tins of soup

Packet of rice

Packet pasta

Tea or coffee

Packet of Cereal

2 tins of fish

3 tins of vegetables

2 tins of tomatoes

2 tens of fruit

Jar of Jam or spread

Eating like kings to be fair then.."

It really isn't though is it.

Chelmsford

Tom cannot afford that as a weekly shop..

It's a feast fit for a king . .

4 tins of soup

Packet of rice

Packet pasta

Tea or coffee

Packet of Cereal

2 tins of fish

3 tins of vegetables

2 tins of tomatoes

2 tens of fruit

Jar of Jam or spread

Eating like kings to be fair then.."

Seriously, nothibg fresh? Every basic? How's that fit fir a king?

"Tom cannot afford that as a weekly shop..

It's a feast fit for a king . ."

That's for 4 people not one.

Chelmsford

And lots left over..

A family of 4 can easily love on that or Toms name is Jack Rabbit

"And lots left over..

A family of 4 can easily love on that or Toms name is Jack Rabbit"

Eh?

"And lots left over..

A family of 4 can easily love on that or Toms name is Jack Rabbit

Eh? "

He's right. A family could love on that. They could mix it all together in a big paddling pool, spread it all over each other and hug extra hard.

By *hropshireGentMan  over a year ago

shropshire

I can smell BS "

It isn’t BS. There are two local food bank charities, you don’t need vouchers with them apparently.

Chelmsford

Has using a good bank become the ultimate taboo?

"Has using a good bank become the ultimate taboo?"

No

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

I can smell BS

It isn’t BS. There are two local food bank charities, you don’t need vouchers with them apparently. "

do you know how much food they give out our person?

I wouldn't want to reduce the publicity just because some twats take advantage. (I'm assuming here they are abusing the system as it sounds like they are bragging).

And if they are skrimping on food to afford a lifestyle they can't support then that's also a pretty sad place to be.

I can smell BS

It isn’t BS. There are two local food bank charities, you don’t need vouchers with them apparently. "

Then they are not food banks but community pantries or similar.

Chelmsford

Food banks are not running out of food.. people are getting greedier

"Food banks are not running out of food.. people are getting greedier "

Indeed they are, what do you weigh?

Chelmsford

"Food banks are not running out of food.. people are getting greedier

Indeed they are, what do you weigh? "

Tom weighs up the facts

Tom weighs up the facts "

That is Debatable, anyway, I know it’s a personal question but following in from your ‘people are getting greedier’ maybe you can tell us what you weigh?

Chelmsford

Tom weighs up the facts

That is Debatable, anyway, I know it’s a personal question but following in from your ‘people are getting greedier’ maybe you can tell us what you weigh? "

Well Tom has not weighed himself in years..

Those who do are often weight conduct.. no offence meant but you look a bit flabby in your photos

By *0shadesOfFilthMan  over a year ago

nearby

Number of people receiving three days' worth of emergency food by Trussell Trust foodbanks in the United Kingdom from 2008/09 to 2021/22

61,468 in 2010/11

2,173,158 in 2021/22

Nothing to do with Tory government

Chelmsford

Wether they need it or not..

Build it and they will come

Chelmsford

Tom weighs up the facts

That is Debatable, anyway, I know it’s a personal question but following in from your ‘people are getting greedier’ maybe you can tell us what you weigh? "

Not as flabby as some my friend...

"Number of people receiving three days' worth of emergency food by Trussell Trust foodbanks in the United Kingdom from 2008/09 to 2021/22

61,468 in 2010/11

2,173,158 in 2021/22

Nothing to do with Tory government "

There is a denial that this is anything to do with the tories earlier on the thread.

But stats like that they ignore!

Chelmsford

And what could possibly be the cause of that statistic?

"Number of people receiving three days' worth of emergency food by Trussell Trust foodbanks in the United Kingdom from 2008/09 to 2021/22

61,468 in 2010/11

2,173,158 in 2021/22

Nothing to do with Tory government "

Who could guess that free food would be popular ?

Chelmsford

It's a growth industry

Free food .. Read all about it...

"It's a growth industry

Free food .. Read all about it..."

Head of Policy job going at The Trussel Trust, 80k pa working from home.

Tom weighs up the facts

That is Debatable, anyway, I know it’s a personal question but following in from your ‘people are getting greedier’ maybe you can tell us what you weigh?

Well Tom has not weighed himself in years..

Those who do are often weight conduct.. no offence meant but you look a bit flabby in your photos "

I am carrying a few extra pounds, currently weighing in at 212 lbs, what is ‘weight conduct ‘ ?

Chelmsford

So a charity worker earns 80k a year to tell people to donate more food..

You could not make it up..

"So a charity worker earns 80k a year to tell people to donate more food..

You could not make it up.. "

You just did

Chelmsford

Let's pay the charity worker 40 and spend the other 40 on food for the hungry..

"Let's pay the charity worker 40 and spend the other 40 on food for the hungry.. "

Or you could do the job for nothing?

Chelmsford

"Let's pay the charity worker 40 and spend the other 40 on food for the hungry..

Or you could do the job for nothing? "

Tom has other commitments..

The flabster could take it on..

"Let's pay the charity worker 40 and spend the other 40 on food for the hungry..

The flabster could take it on.. "

Thanks for the offer but I will have to politely decline , it would be better if we left the person in question in the job

Chelmsford

Thanks for the offer but I will have to politely decline , it would be better if we left the person in question in the job "

On 80k..

Here lies the problem..

Thanks for the offer but I will have to politely decline , it would be better if we left the person in question in the job

On 80k..

Here lies the problem..

"

Yes, on 80k , do you know what their job role is?

By *mateur100Man  over a year ago

nr faversham

On 80k..

Here lies the problem..

Yes, on 80k , do you know what their job role is? "

Why does it matter

Chelmsford

Not sure what the job role is but the hungry want bread rolls

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Food Banks were practically unheard of before the tories came into power. Now they are in every constituency within the country.

This country is a regressing fast, before you know it we’ll be like some third world country, due to the permacrisis inflicted on us the tories.

Chelmsford

Ever the optimist eh?

"Not sure what the job role is but the hungry want bread rolls "

Are you a baker

He added that the majority of the food now comes from the supermarkets

By *ustintime69Man  over a year ago

Bristol

Let me tell you a story….a friend of mine was having coffee with a friend of hers the other day and told my friend that they had a Ukrainian mother and child staying with them while the father stayed in Ukraine. The child has been given a place (for free) at a private school with uniform etc thrown in and the mother was telling this friend that she was going to use the local food bank. The friend objected to this saying she should not be abusing the system and they had a bit of a fight about it. Then the mother went on a short break to the Ukraine to see family but came back having had a facelift operation!

Now this friend who is pretty well off and likes to help out charities etc is feeling absolutely used by this so called refugee and does not know what to do.

I think it’s terrible that the friend’s generosity is being taken advantage of and that this mother has no thought for the impact her behaviour has upon the plight of other refugees. I bet if she decided to stay here she would vote Tory too!

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"Let me tell you a story….a friend of mine was having coffee with a friend of hers the other day and told my friend that they had a Ukrainian mother and child staying with them while the father stayed in Ukraine. The child has been given a place (for free) at a private school with uniform etc thrown in and the mother was telling this friend that she was going to use the local food bank. The friend objected to this saying she should not be abusing the system and they had a bit of a fight about it. Then the mother went on a short break to the Ukraine to see family but came back having had a facelift operation!

Now this friend who is pretty well off and likes to help out charities etc is feeling absolutely used by this so called refugee and does not know what to do.

I think it’s terrible that the friend’s generosity is being taken advantage of and that this mother has no thought for the impact her behaviour has upon the plight of other refugees. I bet if she decided to stay here she would vote Tory too!"

Yep, I have a very similar experiencr at the private school I coach at.

No doubt there are some very needy folks who we are helping.. And no doubt some will abuse that help to the max.

"Let me tell you a story….a friend of mine was having coffee with a friend of hers the other day and told my friend that they had a Ukrainian mother and child staying with them while the father stayed in Ukraine. The child has been given a place (for free) at a private school with uniform etc thrown in and the mother was telling this friend that she was going to use the local food bank. The friend objected to this saying she should not be abusing the system and they had a bit of a fight about it. Then the mother went on a short break to the Ukraine to see family but came back having had a facelift operation!

I think it’s terrible that the friend’s generosity is being taken advantage of and that this mother has no thought for the impact her behaviour has upon the plight of other refugees. I bet if she decided to stay here she would vote Tory too!"

I struggle with this sort of anecdotal story, even of its true, its not representative of refugees ahd not connected to food banks.

We need to end the myth that people in poverty are fraudulent just because a very small minority are and start to accept that millions of people in this country are now living in poverty and work towards eliminating that rather than ridiculous 'whatifisms' demonising them.

Tin town

I think it’s terrible that the friend’s generosity is being taken advantage of and that this mother has no thought for the impact her behaviour has upon the plight of other refugees. I bet if she decided to stay here she would vote Tory too!

I struggle with this sort of anecdotal story, even of its true, its not representative of refugees ahd not connected to food banks.

We need to end the myth that people in poverty are fraudulent just because a very small minority are and start to accept that millions of people in this country are now living in poverty and work towards eliminating that rather than ridiculous 'whatifisms' demonising them.

"

Nobody had said poor people in need are fraudulent. Those are your words.

I have volunteered for a food pantry the cost is 2.50 per visit 2 visits a week max per person, proof of benefits are required to use the pantry.

also sold is second hand furniture and clothing.

I also collect the food from Aldi, I was shocked to see the charity which I volunteer for paying the full price for the food.

they depend on donations from the public and get this funding from the government, the government fund the charity I volunteer for wow.

not all pantries and food banks receive this government support they have to feed a certain number of people to receive this funding.

I am surprised to see the Government supporting this way of living and not saying anything about it.

By *penbicoupleCouple  over a year ago

Northampton

"Goverment should help supply food banks."

Absolutely disagree.

The Govt should be working to eliminate the need for food banks.

Northampton

"I am surprised to see the Government supporting this way of living and not saying anything about it."

They love it. This situation is a perfect example of Cameron's "big society."

It's effectively semi-privatised welfare. Things will only keep going further in that direction.

"People have less and less money thanks to the economy.

Well most people anyway. "

People have less and less money thanks to the Tories..

Nobody had said poor people in need are fraudulent. Those are your words. "

In an anecdote about a refuge using a foodbank while their kid goes to private school and they fly home fir cosmetic surgery, the insinuation is clear. It doesn't always have to be said explicitly

Tin town

In an anecdote about a refuge using a foodbank while their kid goes to private school and they fly home fir cosmetic surgery, the insinuation is clear. It doesn't always have to be said explicitly "

Haha don't be silly. You can't make up words and put them in people's mouths just because you choose to see what you wish to see. The words weren't said. You made them up. And if you stop making them up then the narrative will go away.

In an anecdote about a refuge using a foodbank while their kid goes to private school and they fly home fir cosmetic surgery, the insinuation is clear. It doesn't always have to be said explicitly "

Yes, the anecdote is always about the fraudulent isn't it?

Let me tell you a story.

In London, someone told me the old chestnut about a person who sees an elderly Arab man drop his wallet. After thanking him profusely he says: "don't be in such-and-such next Friday". The implication is of a terrorist attack.

I moved away from London and at work a lady told me the same story had happened to her friend in that town.

I said "ah, no that's an apocryphal story, I heard exactly the same thing in London."

She glared at me. "Are you calling my friend a liar?"

Northampton

Doesnt seem like a genuine story to me - and she would be unlikely to be a refugee. However, I'm unclear how she was actually abusing the system.

I'm also very unclear why she would use a food bank. Did the friend of a friend not feed her?

In an anecdote about a refuge using a foodbank while their kid goes to private school and they fly home fir cosmetic surgery, the insinuation is clear. It doesn't always have to be said explicitly

Let me tell you a story.

In London, someone told me the old chestnut about a person who sees an elderly Arab man drop his wallet. After thanking him profusely he says: "don't be in such-and-such next Friday". The implication is of a terrorist attack.

I moved away from London and at work a lady told me the same story had happened to her friend in that town.

I said "ah, no that's an apocryphal story, I heard exactly the same thing in London."

"

And the nig issue seller who lives in a mansion, the person begging who drives a BMW, we could go on couldn't we?

Northampton

"Let me tell you a story.

She glared at me. "Are you calling my friend a liar?""

Just so I'm clear - should we be in town next friday or not?

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

wait, tehy are doing plastic surgery in Ukraine ?

Even if we take this story as true, there will always be cases where ppl take the piss. Be it food banks, or refugee schemes, or cash in hand tax dodges.

Does that mean we should just give up and fuck over those that need help ?

Perfection is the enemy of the food and all that.

Let me tell you a story.

And the nig issue seller who lives in a mansion, the person begging who drives a BMW, we could go on couldn't we?

"

These stories are told to stir up hatred and to smear by association all of the members of the chosen scapegoat group. After a few of these doing the rounds all refugees/homeless/brown skinned people begin to seem slightly dodgy. It's horrible, and very human.

By *ittlemisschezWoman  over a year ago

England

There are far too many people like this that use food banks that don't need them!

Northampton

"There are far too many people like this that use food banks that don't need them! "

There really isn't.

Northampton

"I know one individual that has a wife and 3 kids, drives a Porsche and has his own business and 2 houses he rents out.

He boasts about how he can feed his whole family for free from the food bank."

Who does his referral for him? Because I suspect he's full of shit.

There are far too many people like this that use food banks that don't need them! "

Like who?

People will always pull out these anecdotal stories. Almost always they are from a friend of a friend or they know someone who knows someone.

Bristol

Just to make things clear I am not attacking refugees and the story is true. I know the people who are hosting the Ukrainian and they are probably what used to be called champagne socialists and they are finding it very difficult to rationalise the way they feel about the situation with their morals. This story is just one example of how refugees stories and behaviours are not always as deserving as they appear to be and it’s also meant as an indictment of the nice people who are so willing to help a white Northern European refugee while ignoring the plight of say a Syrian or a Kurd

"Just to make things clear I am not attacking refugees and the story is true. I know the people who are hosting the Ukrainian and they are probably what used to be called champagne socialists and they are finding it very difficult to rationalise the way they feel about the situation with their morals. This story is just one example of how refugees stories and behaviours are not always as deserving as they appear to be and it’s also meant as an indictment of the nice people who are so willing to help a white Northern European refugee while ignoring the plight of say a Syrian or a Kurd"

You Ve gone from them being a friend of a friend to personally knowing them. You have absolutely no idea if this is true or whether you are being Told the full story.

I find it very hard to believe a Ukrainian refugee returned back to their war torn country, That can barely provide the basics for their population right now went to Ukraine for a face lift!

The people you describe seem to be the kind of people that say they want to help people but actually they don't, they want to judge them.

Northampton

"Just to make things clear I am not attacking refugees and the story is true. I know the people who are hosting the Ukrainian and they are probably what used to be called champagne socialists and they are finding it very difficult to rationalise the way they feel about the situation with their morals. This story is just one example of how refugees stories and behaviours are not always as deserving as they appear to be and it’s also meant as an indictment of the nice people who are so willing to help a white Northern European refugee while ignoring the plight of say a Syrian or a Kurd"

Your friends are lying to you. Far too much of that doesn't make sense.

Firstly, they are not refugees.

Additionally, can your friends explain why their guests even had to use a food bank?

Finally, went back to the Ukraine for cosmetic surgery, in the middle of a war?

But, hey, glad you got to use this as a lesson of how we should not trust "refugee" stories.

Nope.

It's ironic that someone says they are not attacking refugees whilst attacking refugees.

I hate to break this to you, butnyiu very much are attacking refugees.

As others have said, your attempt to double down on the legitimacy of this story has only exposed the holes in it

A quick Google tells me that since the 15th of March all non essential medical procedures have been stopped in the Ukraine.

Tin town

"Just to make things clear I am not attacking refugees and the story is true. I know the people who are hosting the Ukrainian and they are probably what used to be called champagne socialists and they are finding it very difficult to rationalise the way they feel about the situation with their morals. This story is just one example of how refugees stories and behaviours are not always as deserving as they appear to be and it’s also meant as an indictment of the nice people who are so willing to help a white Northern European refugee while ignoring the plight of say a Syrian or a Kurd

Additionally, can your friends explain why their guests even had to use a food bank?

But, hey, glad you got to use this as a lesson of how we should not trust "refugee" stories.

Nope."

Yeah I know Ukrainian refugees who went back to Kiev for half term holidays.

"Just to make things clear I am not attacking refugees and the story is true. I know the people who are hosting the Ukrainian and they are probably what used to be called champagne socialists and they are finding it very difficult to rationalise the way they feel about the situation with their morals. This story is just one example of how refugees stories and behaviours are not always as deserving as they appear to be and it’s also meant as an indictment of the nice people who are so willing to help a white Northern European refugee while ignoring the plight of say a Syrian or a Kurd

Nope.

Yeah I know Ukrainian refugees who went back to Kiev for half term holidays. "

But presumably they didn't have cosmetic surgery?

Nope.

Did they come back with a face lift?

I know of 4 local refugee families from Ukraine who went back to Ukraine for a week With supplies, They went back as a group and was supported by the local community to do so. Whilst there they helped to bring over 4 other people who were either elderly or disabled who had host families here but could not do the trip alone. I'm sure if any Ukrainians have gone back it is to check on loved ones or to take supplies. I'm not sure what any of this has to do with food banks.

Nope."

Amd let's not forget, very very Ukrainians have ended up in a private school.

Nope.

"

I will say where we live there is a high proportion of private schools as we live in a very affluent part of London. I know several of the private schools have sponsored Ukrainian refugees as well as children from other countries. You are right though it is very rare but I don't understand what any of this has got to do with food banks. If the Ukrainian family benched above did use a food bank while their child was being given a free private school place but I don't see the correlation.

Tin town

Nope.

I will say where we live there is a high proportion of private schools as we live in a very affluent part of London. I know several of the private schools have sponsored Ukrainian refugees as well as children from other countries. You are right though it is very rare but I don't understand what any of this has got to do with food banks. If the Ukrainian family benched above did use a food bank while their child was being given a free private school place but I don't see the correlation. "

True. I think it went off piste with the news some people take advantage of the free stuff.

Nope.

I will say where we live there is a high proportion of private schools as we live in a very affluent part of London. I know several of the private schools have sponsored Ukrainian refugees as well as children from other countries. You are right though it is very rare but I don't understand what any of this has got to do with food banks. If the Ukrainian family benched above did use a food bank while their child was being given a free private school place but I don't see the correlation.

True. I think it went off piste with the news some people take advantage of the free stuff. "

Threads like this always go that way and of course some people take advantage however I find some of the stories on here very hard to believe. Even if they are true we don't know any background or any other information. I have worked and volunteered in food banks and you get All sorts of different people in all sorts of different situations through the doors.

I remember one lady came in very well dressed in what was clearly very expensive clothing, When I helped her to her car with her food parcel it was a very nice expensive car. Easy to judge looking at her thinking well she doesn't need a food bank right?

Her referral was from women's aid, The day before she had fled her abusive husband taking with her a small bag of clothing and the car. All the finances were in his name or completely controlled by him and all money had been denied to her. It's easy to judge based on very little information or 2nd hand stories though isn't it.

Tin town

Nope.

True. I think it went off piste with the news some people take advantage of the free stuff.

Threads like this always go that way and of course some people take advantage however I find some of the stories on here very hard to believe. Even if they are true we don't know any background or any other information. I have worked and volunteered in food banks and you get All sorts of different people in all sorts of different situations through the doors.

I remember one lady came in very well dressed in what was clearly very expensive clothing, When I helped her to her car with her food parcel it was a very nice expensive car. Easy to judge looking at her thinking well she doesn't need a food bank right?

Her referral was from women's aid, The day before she had fled her abusive husband taking with her a small bag of clothing and the car. All the finances were in his name or completely controlled by him and all money had been denied to her. It's easy to judge based on very little information or 2nd hand stories though isn't it. "

Indeed. It's way to easy to judge and its an unusual person who is able to remain neutral. But a great skill to have.

Nope.

Her referral was from women's aid, The day before she had fled her abusive husband taking with her a small bag of clothing and the car. All the finances were in his name or completely controlled by him and all money had been denied to her. It's easy to judge based on very little information or 2nd hand stories though isn't it.

Indeed. It's way to easy to judge and its an unusual person who is able to remain neutral. But a great skill to have. "

I genuinely believe the majority of people that think most people Who use food banks don't need it is because they are scared. My thinking behind that is if they genuinely believe people are just on the fiddle then it can't happen to them can it? The people that need food banks are people that just don't help themselves or spend money on other things they don't need rather than out of absolute necessity. Of course there are people that could do more to help themselves but the whole point of food banks is to help people out of a tricky situation regardless of how they got there.

Bristol

It’s all true and the reason I didn’t want to mention how much knowledge I have of the situation is that I worry that it would be very easy to trace the story. So getting back to the point of this, it is my opinion that the Ukrainian mother was taking unfair advantage of the charity that she was given and the hosts feel disturbed and confused by her actions. You all seem to think that this is refugee baiting whereas my point is that given all the charity she has been given it seems astonishing that she thinks it’s ok to use food banks when she is housed and fed and sheltered for free but more importantly that she should go and have a face lift at this time is just impossible to rationalise. Maybe she has mental health problems, maybe she’s taking the piss, I have no idea, but the confusion I am trying to expose is that not everyone who needs help is nice and that putting out pat answers like the nasty man is trying to say all refugees are bad is frankly lazy. Life is complex and facing up to that is important even for lefties like me

By *ete5050Man  over a year ago

ipswich

Running out because people who don’t need them are taking food

Same people live on benefit’s smoking drinking drugs and say they can’t feed there kids

Rising intrest rates lol I remember when it was 14 per cent

"It’s all true and the reason I didn’t want to mention how much knowledge I have of the situation is that I worry that it would be very easy to trace the story. So getting back to the point of this, it is my opinion that the Ukrainian mother was taking unfair advantage of the charity that she was given and the hosts feel disturbed and confused by her actions. You all seem to think that this is refugee baiting whereas my point is that given all the charity she has been given it seems astonishing that she thinks it’s ok to use food banks when she is housed and fed and sheltered for free but more importantly that she should go and have a face lift at this time is just impossible to rationalise. Maybe she has mental health problems, maybe she’s taking the piss, I have no idea, but the confusion I am trying to expose is that not everyone who needs help is nice and that putting out pat answers like the nasty man is trying to say all refugees are bad is frankly lazy. Life is complex and facing up to that is important even for lefties like me "

I'm sorry but it's not true that a woman had cosmetic surgery for non medical reasons in the Ukraine since the war has broken out. Every time you post you change the story.

Northampton

Nope.

That's nice.

Bristol

"It’s all true and the reason I didn’t want to mention how much knowledge I have of the situation is that I worry that it would be very easy to trace the story. So getting back to the point of this, it is my opinion that the Ukrainian mother was taking unfair advantage of the charity that she was given and the hosts feel disturbed and confused by her actions. You all seem to think that this is refugee baiting whereas my point is that given all the charity she has been given it seems astonishing that she thinks it’s ok to use food banks when she is housed and fed and sheltered for free but more importantly that she should go and have a face lift at this time is just impossible to rationalise. Maybe she has mental health problems, maybe she’s taking the piss, I have no idea, but the confusion I am trying to expose is that not everyone who needs help is nice and that putting out pat answers like the nasty man is trying to say all refugees are bad is frankly lazy. Life is complex and facing up to that is important even for lefties like me

I'm sorry but it's not true that a woman had cosmetic surgery for non medical reasons in the Ukraine since the war has broken out. Every time you post you change the story. "

How have I changed the story? The essence of it is still the same. If you don’t want to believe it because it doesn’t fit with your values then that’s your choice. As for the facelift all I can tell you is that she came back from Ukraine with one….she may have stopped off somewhere else on the way back? Poland is very close and a friend of mine travels there to get his dental work done so maybe she went there?

Nope.

Indeed. It's way to easy to judge and its an unusual person who is able to remain neutral. But a great skill to have.

I genuinely believe the majority of people that think most people Who use food banks don't need it is because they are scared. My thinking behind that is if they genuinely believe people are just on the fiddle then it can't happen to them can it? The people that need food banks are people that just don't help themselves or spend money on other things they don't need rather than out of absolute necessity. Of course there are people that could do more to help themselves but the whole point of food banks is to help people out of a tricky situation regardless of how they got there. "

See my thoughts are the people who claim that people using foodbanks don't need to are trying to deflect from the guilt and shame of voting fir a government that is responsible for it.

It must be difficult accepting that by voting tory you are responsible for this mess while recognising foodbanks should never be neccesary. Much easier to convince yourself that the users are liars and scroungers rather then desperate and poor

Northampton

"How have I changed the story? The essence of it is still the same."

Those two statements together demonstrate that you should just let it go.

No one - including yourself - believes it's true.

And now it might be Poland?!

Please, save yourself.

"It’s all true and the reason I didn’t want to mention how much knowledge I have of the situation is that I worry that it would be very easy to trace the story. So getting back to the point of this, it is my opinion that the Ukrainian mother was taking unfair advantage of the charity that she was given and the hosts feel disturbed and confused by her actions. You all seem to think that this is refugee baiting whereas my point is that given all the charity she has been given it seems astonishing that she thinks it’s ok to use food banks when she is housed and fed and sheltered for free but more importantly that she should go and have a face lift at this time is just impossible to rationalise. Maybe she has mental health problems, maybe she’s taking the piss, I have no idea, but the confusion I am trying to expose is that not everyone who needs help is nice and that putting out pat answers like the nasty man is trying to say all refugees are bad is frankly lazy. Life is complex and facing up to that is important even for lefties like me "

1. She's not a refugee

2. She wouldn't be eligible to use a food bank

3. According to Google its not possible to get cosmetic surgery in the Ukraine at present

This is why people are struggling to believe this anecdote.

And the lazy suggestion that she might have mental health issues is really quite offensive.

"It’s all true and the reason I didn’t want to mention how much knowledge I have of the situation is that I worry that it would be very easy to trace the story. So getting back to the point of this, it is my opinion that the Ukrainian mother was taking unfair advantage of the charity that she was given and the hosts feel disturbed and confused by her actions. You all seem to think that this is refugee baiting whereas my point is that given all the charity she has been given it seems astonishing that she thinks it’s ok to use food banks when she is housed and fed and sheltered for free but more importantly that she should go and have a face lift at this time is just impossible to rationalise. Maybe she has mental health problems, maybe she’s taking the piss, I have no idea, but the confusion I am trying to expose is that not everyone who needs help is nice and that putting out pat answers like the nasty man is trying to say all refugees are bad is frankly lazy. Life is complex and facing up to that is important even for lefties like me

I'm sorry but it's not true that a woman had cosmetic surgery for non medical reasons in the Ukraine since the war has broken out. Every time you post you change the story.

How have I changed the story? The essence of it is still the same. If you don’t want to believe it because it doesn’t fit with your values then that’s your choice. As for the facelift all I can tell you is that she came back from Ukraine with one….she may have stopped off somewhere else on the way back? Poland is very close and a friend of mine travels there to get his dental work done so maybe she went there?"

First off you claimed it was a friend of a friend then you claimed to personally know them. Now apparently it might not have been Ukraine it might have been Poland.

1. She's not a refugee

2. She wouldn't be eligible to use a food bank

3. According to Google its not possible to get cosmetic surgery in the Ukraine at present

This is why people are struggling to believe this anecdote.

And the lazy suggestion that she might have mental health issues is really quite offensive.

"

People from Ukraine who have been granted temporary visas are considered Refugees and yes If she has no income or limited money she would be eligible for a food parcel.

Northampton

"It’s all true and the reason I didn’t want to mention how much knowledge I have of the situation is that I worry that it would be very easy to trace the story."

In retrospect, does that seem at all believable?

Can you please explain WHY she would use a food bank? That seems like quite an easy question to answer.

And don't bring up Mental health. You're better than that.

Northampton

"People from Ukraine who have been granted temporary visas are considered Refugees and yes If she has no income or limited money she would be eligible for a food parcel. "

Nope.

"People from Ukraine who have been granted temporary visas are considered Refugees and yes If she has no income or limited money she would be eligible for a food parcel.

Nope."

Nope what?

Bristol

So I am going to give up on this because I can’t see the point in pursuing it further but I would like to say that I am not an apologist for this horrendous government and I have enormous sympathy for refugees and those of us who are being pushed into poverty by the stupidity of the right wingers. I am a life long socialist and I hate seeing the poor being disadvantaged.

Tin town

Do all food banks operate the same and access to them policed exactly the same.?

"Do all food banks operate the same and access to them policed exactly the same.? "

Food banks yes pretty much. There are some projects that offer free food no questions asked or referral. There are also places like community pantrys, shops, fridges and markets where you normally pay a small amount or have to be a member.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"So I am going to give up on this because I can’t see the point in pursuing it further but I would like to say that I am not an apologist for this horrendous government and I have enormous sympathy for refugees and those of us who are being pushed into poverty by the stupidity of the right wingers. I am a life long socialist and I hate seeing the poor being disadvantaged."
fair enough. I was going to ask what you were seeking to show by mentioning this example.

Id also hope you'd emoatjises with why a very specific example about refugees may look like it has hidden motives. Especially when some parts (eg kid being private schooled, presumably for free) weren't irrelevant

"Do all food banks operate the same and access to them policed exactly the same.?

Food banks yes pretty much. There are some projects that offer free food no questions asked or referral. There are also places like community pantrys, shops, fridges and markets where you normally pay a small amount or have to be a member. "

Tin town

"So I am going to give up on this because I can’t see the point in pursuing it further but I would like to say that I am not an apologist for this horrendous government and I have enormous sympathy for refugees and those of us who are being pushed into poverty by the stupidity of the right wingers. I am a life long socialist and I hate seeing the poor being disadvantaged.fair enough. I was going to ask what you were seeking to show by mentioning this example.

Id also hope you'd emoatjises with why a very specific example about refugees may look like it has hidden motives. Especially when some parts (eg kid being private schooled, presumably for free) weren't irrelevant "

He's already explained many times over what he's seeking to introduce to the discussion thread.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"So I am going to give up on this because I can’t see the point in pursuing it further but I would like to say that I am not an apologist for this horrendous government and I have enormous sympathy for refugees and those of us who are being pushed into poverty by the stupidity of the right wingers. I am a life long socialist and I hate seeing the poor being disadvantaged.fair enough. I was going to ask what you were seeking to show by mentioning this example.

Id also hope you'd emoatjises with why a very specific example about refugees may look like it has hidden motives. Especially when some parts (eg kid being private schooled, presumably for free) weren't irrelevant

He's already explained many times over what he's seeking to introduce to the discussion thread. "

that's what's confusing me. In a thread about food banks he introduces where the point is that some refugees take advantage of systems. He also briefly was whistling towards Brits being more willing to help Europeans than syrians... But not the person in his example who was conflicted.

I may have missed the post which explained how this this was about food banks rather than foodbanks being the link to refugees.

Imo, a post that says some people take advantage of a system doesn't help the wiser conversation but derails. I'd be interested in their views about foodbanks, why we have got to where we are etc.

He's already explained many times over what he's seeking to introduce to the discussion thread. that's what's confusing me. In a thread about food banks he introduces where the point is that some refugees take advantage of systems. He also briefly was whistling towards Brits being more willing to help Europeans than syrians... But not the person in his example who was conflicted.

I may have missed the post which explained how this this was about food banks rather than foodbanks being the link to refugees.

Imo, a post that says some people take advantage of a system doesn't help the wiser conversation but derails. I'd be interested in their views about foodbanks, why we have got to where we are etc. "

I first noticed the rise in food banks for working people when public sector pay was frozen, whilst prices rose, hence more referrals.

Since then ive noticed more working people, professionals and those on middle incomes, debt plays a part, the rise in mortgages have brought more from middle income families, to seek support.

Bristol

I think it’s appalling that in the 6th largest economy in the world that there is a need for so many food banks and that need is ever increasing because of 12 years of Tory stagnation. I have never understood why there is so much selfishness and hatred towards poor people or why they are forced to jump through ever more degrading hoops to get universal credit or assistance with food and heating. There is a massive disconnect between the Tory Party )and its donors) and the lived experience of the working poor with fascist agitators like Farage and the Daily Mail turning the poor against themselves and immigrants which unfortunately is not solely a UK experience. I blame the scum who work out of Tufton St, the ERG and their foreign backers….traitors is not too strong a word to describe them!

I hope that helps explain my general point but the refugee thing was also about how the sabre rattling at Putin and the aid given to a Ukrainian refugee by the nice Tory voters of a public school is tainted by the whiteness of the recipient and you could call that refugee-washing

Not an easy subject but trying to express the hypocrisy of the situation as I see it

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

"I'm sure it is that. What a revolting little country we are. And neither of the two main parties are offering remotely the policies to tackle the multiple, existential crises affecting us all.

Still, the important thing is that Bad Enoch will kick trans people as Equalities Minister and Braverman will send desperate refugees to die in Rwanda, so at least all the very worst people in Britain will continue to get what the Daily Mail tells them they want.

For those who ARE able to donate to the Trussell Trust, etc, don't forget to pop in a bit of chocolate or nice fruit among the sensible pasta, tins, etc. People having a hard time of it deserve treats as well as sustenance - and isn't making a stranger happy the reason we are all on Fab? "

I worked with these guys setting up some of the very first food backs and also in project in Eastern Europe. I found them very unhelpful tbh , they promised me many trucks into the midlands to take building materials and hampers to Eastern Europe then pulled out. We had to finance it ourselves. They are very politically motivated and keep changing the rules on who can access food banks meaning it’s become a secondary benefits system rather than emergency temp relief . I no longer support then and work with charities doing street work and that stay out of politics

Free stuff is popular.

Chelmsford

Product shrinkage is affecting us all...

"Free stuff is popular. "

But food banks have been around for 20 years so why are people using them more now and people donate less. I think we all know the answer.

Chelmsford

"Free stuff is popular.

But food banks have been around for 20 years so why are people using them more now and people donate less. I think we all know the answer. "

Because people are fed up of being conned ?

"Free stuff is popular.

But food banks have been around for 20 years so why are people using them more now and people donate less. I think we all know the answer.

Because people are fed up of being conned ?"

Guess again

By *ik MMan  over a year ago

Lancashire

"Free stuff is popular.

Because people are fed up of being conned ?

Guess again"

Because you can’t put toothpaste back in the tube

Its been an interesting discussion about this topic everyone