FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Interest rate rise

Interest rate rise

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hropshireGent OP   Man  over a year ago

shropshire

I have heard it from a few good sources that the interest rate will rise on Thursday. I have a feeling this will be the start of more.

Interesting times coming that’s for sure

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I have heard it from a few good sources that the interest rate will rise on Thursday. I have a feeling this will be the start of more.

Interesting times coming that’s for sure "

How much do you think it will rise?

shropshire

I was told it could jump to 3.5% tomorrow.

Doing a quick bit of Googling just now and it seems that it’s likely

"I have heard it from a few good sources that the interest rate will rise on Thursday. I have a feeling this will be the start of more.

The Bank of England has been far too slow to raise interest rates, and we are paying the price through higher inflation than was necessary. It's gross incompetence on the BofE's part, and I'm amazed that Bailey still has a job. Though nowadays I'm not sure why I'm surprised, incompetence is endemic in the public sector.

It's going to be tough for people who have stretched their mortgages to the hilt, but in today's climate I'd fully expect the government to start paying everyone's mortgage before they let any homes get repossessed. They are already paying everything else so an extra couple of trillion can't hurt.

The US Fed has raised by 0.75 today and Bailey has been criticised for not following the US's upward trajectory.

By *uddy laneMan  over a year ago

dudley

If you have a fixed rate debt then there is nothing to worry about, if you have no debt and save there is nothing to worry about.

"I was told it could jump to 3.5% tomorrow.

Doing a quick bit of Googling just now and it seems that it’s likely "

I doubt it will be the last this year

shropshire

"If you have a fixed rate debt then there is nothing to worry about, if you have no debt and save there is nothing to worry about."

Yes, a lot of people predicted this coming for years ago and fixed mortgages on low rates for long terms when they had the money to pay it off. Keeping the money in the bank and when the interest rate goes up it will give better returns

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle under Lyme

Since the financial crisis of 2008 interest rates have ben pretty much stuck at 1% or less until very recently. Rates of 5% or 6% were normal.

A central bank cannot leave interest rates low indefinitely, at some point they need tom come up. It does suck for those who overstretched on their mortgage borrowing but at the end of the day that's on them.

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

Yep think that's a given. Only question is by how much I guess. Just watching the news now and their saying in America rates will continue to rise but may be at a slower pace than recently. Think the ECB are also doing it. Seems to be the weapon of choice in most countries - hope they are right

The question I ask myself, is exactly how many are affected straight off the bat, would most with mortgages not have fixed rates, so, little short term effect.. those with savings get the greater benefit straight away.. I just don’t know what proportion of people with mortgages in uk have gambled on variable rates..

What it will do for definite is deter new mortgages being taken out for higher values than affordable and bring house prices down, seen it before and history does repeat…

"The question I ask myself, is exactly how many are affected straight off the bat, would most with mortgages not have fixed rates, so, little short term effect.. those with savings get the greater benefit straight away.. I just don’t know what proportion of people with mortgages in uk have gambled on variable rates..

What it will do for definite is deter new mortgages being taken out for higher values than affordable and bring house prices down, seen it before and history does repeat… "

True, house prices are far to high so this will be a good thing

shropshire

House prices will fall slightly, maybe 5% at most but I can’t see them falling any more as there is a massive shortage!

"House prices will fall slightly, maybe 5% at most but I can’t see them falling any more as there is a massive shortage! "

Quite, interest rates are only part of the picture in house prices. In the main that is driven by supply and demand. In the UK we have too many people chasing too few houses, which is the main thing driving prices higher.

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

Yep. A drop in house prices will only be a short term market adjustment due people getting twitchy over increased borrowing costs. Ultimately the only way to consistently stop house price inflation is to build more houses!

"Yep. A drop in house prices will only be a short term market adjustment due people getting twitchy over increased borrowing costs. Ultimately the only way to consistently stop house price inflation is to build more houses!"

Or to reduce the number of people looking for them.

"Yep. A drop in house prices will only be a short term market adjustment due people getting twitchy over increased borrowing costs. Ultimately the only way to consistently stop house price inflation is to build more houses!

Or to reduce the number of people looking for them. "

Are you suggesting a cull..

"Yep. A drop in house prices will only be a short term market adjustment due people getting twitchy over increased borrowing costs. Ultimately the only way to consistently stop house price inflation is to build more houses!

Are you suggesting a cull.. "

Estate agent knocking of enquiring customers and being compensated for lost fees by the government.

Its a very original idea.

Or to reduce the number of people looking for them. "

Birth control or a mass killing ?

"House prices will fall slightly, maybe 5% at most but I can’t see them falling any more as there is a massive shortage!

Quite, interest rates are only part of the picture in house prices. In the main that is driven by supply and demand. In the UK we have too many people chasing too few houses, which is the main thing driving prices higher."

We have people who need houses chasing too few houses

Brighton

Birth control or a mass killing ? "

Was tempted to carry on the tongue-in-cheek pensioner thread here but doubt it will go down well!

But then...

All people over age of 80 MUST enter a care home freeing up their home for sale.

Birth control or a mass killing ? "

Well with net immigration above 300k there are probably less drastic ways of reducing demand.

Still, no doubt those welcoming all the Albanian doctors and school children with open arms will be happy to pay the higher mortgage costs. It's a small price to pay for some virtue signalling.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

Well with net immigration above 300k there are probably less drastic ways of reducing demand.

Still, no doubt those welcoming all the Albanian doctors and school children with open arms will be happy to pay the higher mortgage costs. It's a small price to pay for some virtue signalling."

Yes definitely a small number of Albanians that are causing all our problems.

Still, no doubt those welcoming all the Albanian doctors and school children with open arms will be happy to pay the higher mortgage costs. It's a small price to pay for some virtue signalling.

Yes definitely a small number of Albanians that are causing all our problems. "

I'm glad you have a plan to house 300k extra immigrants a year on top of the usual natural births.

Personally every time I see the immigration figures I go laughing all the way to the bank.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

I'm glad you have a plan to house 300k extra immigrants a year on top of the usual natural births.

Personally every time I see the immigration figures I go laughing all the way to the bank."

No plan. I don't work for the government or in the housing sector.

Just poking fun at people who blame things on a small group of foreigners.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Personally every time I see the immigration figures I go laughing all the way to the bank."

Really…. Because if you ask the CBI what is the one thing holding businesses back … it’s that they can’t get people they need in … at the moment there are more jobs available than people who can take them up

Brighton

Yes definitely a small number of Albanians that are causing all our problems. "

Wait a minute!!!! Was Liz Truss and Kwasi Kwartang Albanian? What about the rest of the Tory Cabinet Ministers these past 12 years? All Albanians causing all our problems!!!!!!

Why do you ‘laugh all the way to the bank’?

Still, no doubt those welcoming all the Albanian doctors and school children with open arms will be happy to pay the higher mortgage costs. It's a small price to pay for some virtue signalling."

Are you paying higher mortgage costs?

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Well the pound is now on a doom loop.

Can’t Rishi just remove the whip from Liz Truss? They’ve got enough MP’s to spare in the house, one less isn’t going to make a difference.

Personally every time I see the immigration figures I go laughing all the way to the bank.

Why do you ‘laugh all the way to the bank’? "

Supply and demand isn't difficult to understand.

Supply and demand isn't difficult to understand."

Are you a people trafficker?

Supply and demand isn't difficult to understand.

Are you a people trafficker? "

are you dense?

Really…. Because if you ask the CBI what is the one thing holding businesses back … it’s that they can’t get people they need in … at the moment there are more jobs available than people who can take them up "

So what's that got to do with housing demand and pricing?

Let's assume that the 300k extra people this year are all highly skilled, immediately employable, and hard working readily assimilating citizens. In what way will their arrival reduce house prices?

» Add a new message to this topic