By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

"Watching it or boycotting it?"

No just no interest in it, it’s all about the money

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Watching it or boycotting it?

No just no interest in it, it’s all about the money "

What isn't, I take it you don't watch any big sports events..?

Premier League, Champions league etc..?

Kopp said it right last week. People had 12 years to talk about this and change it. Now everyone is getting on their high horse.

I am not interested at all in football so won't watch for that reason.

If I were interested in football I would watch it. Qatar isn't a British colony so doesn't have to do things the way the UK does.

The worst thing about watching it would probably be having to put up with the po faced pomposity of British commentators, obviously safe in their studios in the UK. Real bravery.

Watching it as much as I can

By *amish SMan  over a year ago

Eastleigh

Boycotting, not that interested in football, less so when played by overpaid players.

"Boycotting, not that interested in football, less so when played by overpaid players. "

How are they overpaid..?

By *oubleswing2019Man  over a year ago

Colchester

"Boycotting, not that interested in football, less so when played by overpaid players.

How are they overpaid..?"

By people who value them more than, I dunno, nurses, other low-wage staff, etc.

Society (in general) seems to value the people who matter the most the least, and those who matter the least the most.

Bread and circuses...

"Boycotting, not that interested in football, less so when played by overpaid players.

How are they overpaid..?

By people who value them more than, I dunno, nurses, other low-wage staff, etc.

Society (in general) seems to value the people who matter the most the least, and those who matter the least the most.

Bread and circuses..."

For that you can blame the capitalist system. The footballers that are paid fortunes are the cream of the crop. They have been dedicated and worked hard to get there. Just check what Ronaldo was like. But they are a fraction of all the footballers around the world. Also their careers are usually quite short compared to others, one serious injury and its very short.

I doubt the vast majority are overpaid. There are YouTubers making millions some by doing random silly pranks. There's even a guy on YouTube called Mr Beast I believe, who they say is going to become the first YouTube billionaire.

I don't know why people single out footballers, its the system we live in. Either your for Capitalism and its market forces or your not.

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

No just no interest in it, it’s all about the money

What isn't, I take it you don't watch any big sports events..?

Premier League, Champions league etc..?"

No None of it it's just not for me not even the olympics ect i just watch soemething else and let otherrs get on with it.

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

I'll check the results, maybe read a match report or two and I suppose it will be difficult to completely avoid the TV coverage.

However I will not be watching any full games. I will not be cheering England (or Wales) on and I would prefer both to get knocked out in the group stages (No I'm not Scottish LOL)

As a small boy I remember when England won the World Cup. I've waited 56 years to see it repeated. But not this time.

This (for many reasons) will always be the tainted World Cup.

Instead of stitching another star on the eventual winners shirt, I would suggest a blood stain framed with dollar bills.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

I'll check the results, maybe read a match report or two and I suppose it will be difficult to completely avoid the TV coverage.

However I will not be watching any full games. I will not be cheering England (or Wales) on and I would prefer both to get knocked out in the group stages (No I'm not Scottish LOL)

As a small boy I remember when England won the World Cup. I've waited 56 years to see it repeated. But not this time.

Instead of stitching another star on the eventual winners shirt, I would suggest a blood stain framed with dollar bills. "

Nailed it, pretty much spot on and ditto with how I intend to ignore it which goes against my instincts when such tournaments are on..

It's never going to happen but would love if there was a boycott by the players out there ..

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

Not watched a game of football since the first lockdown and wont be tuning in to the world cup either

By *alking HeadMan  over a year ago

Bolton

I can't boycott something that I wouldn't watch even if it was played at the end of our street.

By *os19Man  over a year ago

Edmonton

Looks like I am in a minority but as a sports fan I will be watching the World Cup depending on what time the matches are been played as I believe Qatar is 3 hours ahead of us and also my working pattern will dictate how many matches I watch live on BBC or ITV and I guess there will be a highlight package so I can always watch that. I think Argentina can win it and if they do the real debate will start who is the best footballer of all time Messi , Maradona , Pele.If England make the semifinals then they can consider it a good World Cup

I will be watching but I am not as excited as I usually would be before a big football tournament.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Be watching it. I had thought of going as I have been back and forth over the years and enjoyed my time there.

Incidentally after a Qatar World Cup ambassador described homosexuality as a disease of the brain a well know European club unveiled a giant banner with words of solidarity to him. Saying they were with him.

It’s not just old backward Qatar with these views.

North Bucks

"Be watching it. I had thought of going as I have been back and forth over the years and enjoyed my time there.

Incidentally after a Qatar World Cup ambassador described homosexuality as a disease of the brain a well know European club unveiled a giant banner with words of solidarity to him. Saying they were with him.

It’s not just old backward Qatar with these views. "

*supporters of the club I hasten to add. Not the club itself.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

"Be watching it. I had thought of going as I have been back and forth over the years and enjoyed my time there.

*supporters of the club I hasten to add. Not the club itself. "

Which club was that?

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

*supporters of the club I hasten to add. Not the club itself.

Which club was that?"

Lazio

(And their ultras).

According to their Twitter it's meant to be "ironic". Will the wild condemn them or the qatari who said the words.

Hard to know with ultras tho.

By *coptoCouple  over a year ago

Côte d'Azur & Great Yarmouth

“By people who value them more than, I dunno, nurses, other low-wage staff, etc.”

Not the old overpaid footballer chestnut again!

How many nurses are there in the world, and what can they do that can’t be taught? The highest paid footballers are few and have a natural talent - like the best artists and musicians - that can’t be taught, only bought. If you were scouted by an under-10s Premier League squad and could score 114 goals in 29 games you’d end up as rich as Wayne Rooney. They’re paid commensurate with the millions they bring in for their clubs: market rate, nothing more, nothing less.

By *oungsoul96Man  over a year ago

Worcester

Qatar*

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

all around

Why boycott it ?

Original thread question " will you be watching or boycotting".

If you normally don't watch football and wouldn't be watching, its not actually a boycott.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

"Why boycott it ?"

People are boycotting it because of human rights and environmental concerns in Qatar, and the way they treated the workers building the stadiums, how many died during the construction etc.

By *ornucopiaMan  over a year ago

Bexley

"Original thread question " will you be watching or boycotting".

If you normally don't watch football and wouldn't be watching, its not actually a boycott. "

Very true. I shall be boycotting it because I don't like any sport.

Even more the case as I don't have a telly.

However, had I the ability or the desire to watch it, I probably wouldn't, out of solidarity with the protestors!

By *idnight RamblerMan  over a year ago

Pershore

At the first sound of that cringy Three Lions song I'm running for the hills.

By *lumber53Man  over a year ago

brean

Def boycott feel hypocrit watching it

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

Instead of stitching another star on the eventual winners shirt, I would suggest a blood stain framed with dollar bills.

Nailed it, pretty much spot on and ditto with how I intend to ignore it which goes against my instincts when such tournaments are on..

It's never going to happen but would love if there was a boycott by the players out there ..

"

I expect there will be some kind of protest from some players. But I don't think it will be on a large scale.

Usually for a World Cup i'm in a pub/bar cheering on England with the best.

But I really can't bring myself to do it this time.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

I expect there will be some kind of protest from some players. But I don't think it will be on a large scale.

Usually for a World Cup i'm in a pub/bar cheering on England with the best.

But I really can't bring myself to do it this time."

It's very weird, bit like when countries boycotted the Olympics..

Almost like a void tournament but the record will say so and so won it..

Lessons need to be learned but till the biggest sponsors do more than just pay lip service to human rights etc it won't change much..

North Bucks

Anyone see the Danish Tv reporter broadcasting only for security to rock up on a golf buggy and threaten to break the camera.

Off to a good start

By *JB1954Man  over a year ago

Reading

Now no alcohol at stadiums. What other agreements between Fifa and Qatar will be broken ?

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Now no alcohol at stadiums. What other agreements between Fifa and Qatar will be broken ? "
looks like it was "agreed"

This may help bring some "respect their customs" discussions to a new audiance.

By *enny PR9TV/TS  over a year ago

Southport

"Now no alcohol at stadiums. What other agreements between Fifa and Qatar will be broken ? looks like it was "agreed"

This may help bring some "respect their customs" discussions to a new audiance. "

What's next, Banning Hollands meat pies and Bovril.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Now no alcohol at stadiums. What other agreements between Fifa and Qatar will be broken ? looks like it was "agreed"

What's next, Banning Hollands meat pies and Bovril."

if it's against their customs, why not ?

It will be like watching forest green rovers.

By *enny PR9TV/TS  over a year ago

Southport

What's next, Banning Hollands meat pies and Bovril.if it's against their customs, why not ?

It will be like watching forest green rovers. "

I knew these Arabs had a different take on human rights, but to force England supporters to watch England play whilst being completely sober is torture the Spanish Inquisition would have been proud of.

By *itty9899Man  over a year ago

Craggy Island

Not interested. England won't last long anyway.

Bexley

Could somebody who is interested in football please tell me what time of day the 'Weld Cup' is on the telly. I need to know when the supermarkets will be quietest.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Could somebody who is interested in football please tell me what time of day the 'Weld Cup' is on the telly. I need to know when the supermarkets will be quietest."
10am, 1am, 4pm, 7pm on most days to start with

Bexley

"Could somebody who is interested in football please tell me what time of day the 'Weld Cup' is on the telly. I need to know when the supermarkets will be quietest.10am, 1am, 4pm, 7pm on most days to start with "

Thanks!

By *L RogueMan  over a year ago

London

I will be watching but I am not as excited as I usually would be before a big football tournament. "

this!

Boycotting it. It just shows that money talks and morals walks. Fucking disgraceful.

North Bucks

Bit weird sitting in front of the fire waiting for the World Cup to come on.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Watching it while feeling a bit guilty.

I'm angry as fuck FIFA have out us in this position.

However I'm hoping this may be a springboard to discuss our relationship with parts of the world who we have concerns about.

Because let's face it Qatar are hosting because we have pumped billions into their economy for many many years. And it wasn't many months ago many were smug we didn't rely on war mongering Russia.. happily ignoring the regimes we were supporting.

"Watching it while feeling a bit guilty.

I'm angry as fuck FIFA have out us in this position.

However I'm hoping this may be a springboard to discuss our relationship with parts of the world who we have concerns about.

Because let's face it Qatar are hosting because we have pumped billions into their economy for many many years. And it wasn't many months ago many were smug we didn't rely on war mongering Russia.. happily ignoring the regimes we were supporting. "

The death toll of workers, forced labour etc.. and that's on top of human rights abuses.

And Al the while, people advertising the events like David Beckham etc.. fucking apauling

By *adCherriesCouple  over a year ago

Cheshire/Northwest

Boycotting

» Add a new message to this topic