FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > France v Italy

France v Italy

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *mateur100 OP   Man  over a year ago

nr faversham

I read today of a "disagreement" between the two over the issue of immigration. Italy refusing to allow a rescue ship to dock in their waters and announcing that France would accept them before France announced it. Now being reported that France is implementing border checks and controls with Italy. I didn't think shengen or the EU charter allowed this? Am I wrong?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I read today of a "disagreement" between the two over the issue of immigration. Italy refusing to allow a rescue ship to dock in their waters and announcing that France would accept them before France announced it. Now being reported that France is implementing border checks and controls with Italy. I didn't think shengen or the EU charter allowed this? Am I wrong?"

The only country that cared about adhering to EU rules was the UK. That's why we ended up leaving.

nr faversham

"I read today of a "disagreement" between the two over the issue of immigration. Italy refusing to allow a rescue ship to dock in their waters and announcing that France would accept them before France announced it. Now being reported that France is implementing border checks and controls with Italy. I didn't think shengen or the EU charter allowed this? Am I wrong?

The only country that cared about adhering to EU rules was the UK. That's why we ended up leaving."

I'm sure there are those who would agree, just as there are more vocal individuals who would not

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"I read today of a "disagreement" between the two over the issue of immigration. Italy refusing to allow a rescue ship to dock in their waters and announcing that France would accept them before France announced it. Now being reported that France is implementing border checks and controls with Italy. I didn't think shengen or the EU charter allowed this? Am I wrong?"
I would guess they can stop ppl they believe don't have a valid Schengen visa. Or are smuggling such.

It also seemed to be at least some of the argument is around law of the sea. Which isn't an EU rule.

Similar to us trying to not apply other treqtiea we sign up to.

Countries, like people, tens to push laws as far as they can on their favour.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

Didn't they all close their borders during the initial covid lockdowns?

nr faversham

"I read today of a "disagreement" between the two over the issue of immigration. Italy refusing to allow a rescue ship to dock in their waters and announcing that France would accept them before France announced it. Now being reported that France is implementing border checks and controls with Italy. I didn't think shengen or the EU charter allowed this? Am I wrong?

Didn't they all close their borders during the initial covid lockdowns?"

I have no idea

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

I have no idea "

I don't know for sure either but would imagine there are certain circumstances where they can close boarders. If that is the case then just depends on if this falls into the allowed circumstances. This situation could be repeated as the Italian new leaders campaigned on addressing their immigration concerns.

golden fields

I have no idea "

They did.

nr faversham

I have no idea

They did. "

But not to those claiming asylum or for other humanitarian issues

golden fields

I have no idea

They did.

But not to those claiming asylum or for other humanitarian issues "

Honestly, not sure. They closed their borders to eachother though. So it's definitely possible.

nr faversham

I have no idea

They did.

Honestly, not sure. They closed their borders to eachother though. So it's definitely possible. "

Asylum and humanitarian were exceptions

golden fields

I have no idea

They did.

Honestly, not sure. They closed their borders to eachother though. So it's definitely possible.

Asylum and humanitarian were exceptions"

» Add a new message to this topic