From April 25, EV vehicles will no longer be vehicle excise duty exempt

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *abio OP   Man  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Stamp duty cut only until March 25

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"From April 25, EV vehicles will no longer be vehicle excise duty exempt "

Yes that's interesting. I also expect cities and towns that have congestion charges and ULEZ zones to make changes so more cars pay the fees.

The bit about benefits was interesting. Very much looks like the pension age is going to go up next year.

Newcastle and Gateshead

"The bit about benefits was interesting. Very much looks like the pension age is going to go up next year. "

Working age and state pension benefits are going up in line with inflation… but tax threshold personal allowances are being frozen.. so anyone earning more than £12500 is already worse off in real terms

"The bit about benefits was interesting. Very much looks like the pension age is going to go up next year.

Working age and state pension benefits are going up in line with inflation… but tax threshold personal allowances are being frozen.. so anyone earning more than £12500 is already worse off in real terms "

That's true. I do think however they have kept their promise of the most vulnerable being protected but there are a lot of people that are in the middle that are really gonna struggle.

For us personally this is a mixed bag but on the whole we have got away fairly unscathed. We are on non means tested benefits, The raise in the minimum living wage will help as a part time worker, the cap on social rent will also help. It's not ideal because for us where we have been given with one hand it's been taken away with the other but it leaves us roughly in a similar situation as we are now and it could have been a lot worse.

By *ustintime69Man  over a year ago

Bristol

Just listened to an interview with the head of a think tank on LBC who (summing up what he said) appeared to be saying that because of the unequal way councils support tenants with housing benefit that there is the potential for many to find that they will be 5 per cent worse off than they would appear to be and that is only the case for social housing - private rented could be much worse.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

Can't believe benefit is going up on line with inflation but Nurses, police, fire, ambulance etc are expected to except 3% to 5% it will be strikes all round it's so going to hit the NHS

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Can't believe benefit is going up on line with inflation but Nurses, police, fire, ambulance etc are expected to except 3% to 5% it will be strikes all round it's so going to hit the NHS"

Fire service were offered 2%..

Has HS2 nonsense been shelved?

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

I've said this before; before Vlad invaded Ukraine, and well before the Truss-Kwarteng disaster - they're finally coming for the middle class (if not the very wealthy) because the rest of us have nothing left, after 12 years of their rule.

Even if you make the argument that what Hunt is trying to do is the right thing - and it may well be - you don't get to deny that you weren't in power when you fucked everything up, or that you voted to prop up the utter incompetents responsible.

Nobody should give them a pat on the back for taking an axe to the UK's skull and telling it it can have a dressing for the wound - but it will have to pay for one.

Never forget who these people are and what they actually represent.

Btw, TINO - it's actually a good thing, if it means you're not really a Tory.

By *exy_HornyCouple  over a year ago

Leigh

"Has HS2 nonsense been shelved?"

Unfortunately not.

Hastings

"Can't believe benefit is going up on line with inflation but Nurses, police, fire, ambulance etc are expected to except 3% to 5% it will be strikes all round it's so going to hit the NHS

Fire service were offered 2%.."

It just can't be serstanable 2% when benefits get 10.5%

Don't know what the forces got offered lol

By *hybloke67Man  over a year ago

ROMFORD

"Has HS2 nonsense been shelved?"

Nonsense in your eyes, 30,000 employed people may have a different opinion.

"Just listened to an interview with the head of a think tank on LBC who (summing up what he said) appeared to be saying that because of the unequal way councils support tenants with housing benefit that there is the potential for many to find that they will be 5 per cent worse off than they would appear to be and that is only the case for social housing - private rented could be much worse. "

I'm not sure what you mean by supporting Tenants with housing benefit as every single authority has a local housing allowance which determines how much the housing benefit is. This is set by the government not the council.

"Can't believe benefit is going up on line with inflation but Nurses, police, fire, ambulance etc are expected to except 3% to 5% it will be strikes all round it's so going to hit the NHS"

The difference is it will be difficult for everybody however if benefits hadn't gone up with inflation people literally wouldn't be able to eat. People on benefits are not going to have it easy by any stretch of the imagination but this will save lives.

"Can't believe benefit is going up on line with inflation but Nurses, police, fire, ambulance etc are expected to except 3% to 5% it will be strikes all round it's so going to hit the NHS

Fire service were offered 2%..

It just can't be serstanable 2% when benefits get 10.5%

Don't know what the forces got offered lol "

Benefit claimants are getting 10.1% but seeing as a single adult on benefits gets £77 pounds a week you can see why that is needed. That is an adult on ESA which means they are off sick.

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

Making EV owners pay road tax was unexpected (by me) though I assume they will be at the bottom of the scale. Hopefully it won't put people of buying EV's. I personally think if you can afford an EV, you can afford to pay road tax like others

By *9alMan  over a year ago

Bridgend

"Making EV owners pay road tax was unexpected (by me) though I assume they will be at the bottom of the scale. Hopefully it won't put people of buying EV's. I personally think if you can afford an EV, you can afford to pay road tax like others "
I think it will reduce the number of EV on the road anyone on a budget will just run an old diesel car .

"Making EV owners pay road tax was unexpected (by me) though I assume they will be at the bottom of the scale. Hopefully it won't put people of buying EV's. I personally think if you can afford an EV, you can afford to pay road tax like others I think it will reduce the number of EV on the road anyone on a budget will just run an old diesel car ."

That will depend on where you live because in areas with congestion and ULEZ charges you will pay a lot more although I am expecting there to be changes to that too at some point.

"Has HS2 nonsense been shelved?

Nonsense in your eyes, 30,000 employed people may have a different opinion. "

They could be employed doing something useful instead of that Controversial Money spinning con.

They could be employed doing something useful instead of that Controversial Money spinning con."

Like what?

Hastings

HS2 is a hard call

A mate is working on it as it's such good money he left a local company to work on it.

But I do think at the moment the county can't afford it. And it will go at least 25% over it's costing

ROMFORD

"HS2 is a hard call

A mate is working on it as it's such good money he left a local company to work on it.

But I do think at the moment the county can't afford it. And it will go at least 25% over it's costing "

Longer you leave it the more it will cost.

Hastings

"HS2 is a hard call

But I do think at the moment the county can't afford it. And it will go at least 25% over it's costing

Longer you leave it the more it will cost."

True but the more you borrow the more it will cost.

Do you dave for what you want or just borrow more it's the same for government.

ROMFORD

They could be employed doing something useful instead of that Controversial Money spinning con."

Benefits of HS2, extra capacity would mean improved rail services for 73 stations on existing network.

73 stations on the existing rail network stand to benefit from improved passenger services as a direct result of the capacity released by HS2, including 54 stations with no direct HS2 services;

Evidence submitted to the Oakervee HS2 Review by Midlands Connect;

High-speed line will take long-distance rail journeys off the existing network, providing capacity for new routes, as well as faster and more frequent local and inter-regional services;

HS2 will create space for 576,000 extra seats per day on the high-speed network, reducing overcrowding on existing lines;

Released capacity essential to deliver major regional transport plans Midlands Engine Rail and Northern Powerhouse Rail;

HS2 frees up space for 144 extra freight trains per day, enough to transport over 2.5million more lorries’ worth of cargo on our railways each year.

Hastings

They could be employed doing something useful instead of that Controversial Money spinning con.

Benefits of HS2, extra capacity would mean improved rail services for 73 stations on existing network.

73 stations on the existing rail network stand to benefit from improved passenger services as a direct result of the capacity released by HS2, including 54 stations with no direct HS2 services;

High-speed line will take long-distance rail journeys off the existing network, providing capacity for new routes, as well as faster and more frequent local and inter-regional services;

HS2 will create space for 576,000 extra seats per day on the high-speed network, reducing overcrowding on existing lines;

Released capacity essential to deliver major regional transport plans Midlands Engine Rail and Northern Powerhouse Rail;

HS2 frees up space for 144 extra freight trains per day, enough to transport over 2.5million more lorries’ worth of cargo on our railways each year."

But with the cost of living crises how will be able to afford a ticket on it.

And with no gas how will it be powerd if electricity costs more the train will cost more.

As for goods that might help if people are buying goods I don't see support for HS2 to move coal to power stations just to power it.

HS2 frees up space for 144 extra freight trains per day, enough to transport over 2.5million more lorries’ worth of cargo on our railways each year."

Sacking project managers who blew the whistle on projected spiralling costs. Thats the taxpayer s money being blown!

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

[Removed by poster at 17/11/22 21:42:34]

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

Just snuck out in the small print, fuel duty to increase to higher than it was before Sunak lowered it. Raising fuel by 12p pl.

Kept that hidden didn’t he?

S

"Just snuck out in the small print, fuel duty to increase to higher than it was before Sunak lowered it. Raising fuel by 12p pl.

S"

Hastings

Must be diferant up north as now in the south post covid service have been cut as trains just wernt full and making a loss. But guess if all trains in the North are over crowded then they are making money. London to Sheffield return for tomorrow £218.50 or anytime £236 return

First class is £400 that's a lot of fule

Hastings

"Just snuck out in the small print, fuel duty to increase to higher than it was before Sunak lowered it. Raising fuel by 12p pl.

S

"

Rush out now and fill up then guess it will be over £2/litre tomorow

S

Rush out now and fill up then guess it will be over £2/litre tomorow "

increase is coming from march 2023

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Making EV owners pay road tax was unexpected (by me) though I assume they will be at the bottom of the scale. Hopefully it won't put people of buying EV's. I personally think if you can afford an EV, you can afford to pay road tax like others "

It won’t just affect EV’s…. It’s going to affect hybrids as well… so we shall see.. and it’s not till April 25 anyway

Leigh

"Making EV owners pay road tax was unexpected (by me) though I assume they will be at the bottom of the scale. Hopefully it won't put people of buying EV's. I personally think if you can afford an EV, you can afford to pay road tax like others I think it will reduce the number of EV on the road anyone on a budget will just run an old diesel car ."

He should have got rid of the anomaly introduced by Gordon Brown which means old polluting cars pay less tax than new ones. 15 year old diesels are horrible things and should be taxed punitively.

As a minimum, all cars should pay the standard rate. Older, more polluting ones should really pay much more.

Leigh

But who on earth wants to go to London anyway? Much better to spend 1/4 of the amount putting full fibre broadband into every property.

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

S"

I was wondering why this did not get much of a mention to but I just read the BBC report on it which says this is only a prediction that it will go up. It seems that as he did not specifically rule out an increase then the OBR say they think it's because he will announce it on the full budget next year. The amount of any increase is also a prediction. The BBC state they simply don't know what will happen to it next year and it's just as possible it will be frozen again

ROMFORD

HS2 frees up space for 144 extra freight trains per day, enough to transport over 2.5million more lorries’ worth of cargo on our railways each year.

But who on earth wants to go to London anyway? Much better to spend 1/4 of the amount putting full fibre broadband into every property."

If you bothered to read it's not all about going to London. Freeing up track for other services is a major part.

Plus if you want full fibre broadband in your house you should pay for it yourself.

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

Considering where we are, rather than how we got there, it's a reasonably centrist policy.

The really poor are protected, bearing in mind that they really are on a financial knife-edge.

Public service pay cuts, and they are cuts, on top of previous ones are horrendous though. Still the same rhyming slang Jeremy Hunt as Secretary of Health.

The wealthy have got away without more taxes because the middle have been squeezed with threshold changes. I think this group can live with that loss. Personally, my inclination would have been to move the top rate even lower to take a little off the lower middle. Someone on over a £120k can afford £1k, let alone someone on £150k

Windfall tax on oil forms, bit the right-offs they get may neuter that. If they could only offset against renewable investment then that would have been a win.

I think the EV road tax is small beans, but the reality is EV is now a set future so no incentives needed now.

The classical Tory trickle down is the big reduction in Financial sector taxes and removal of banker's salary caps.

Also nominal public spending cuts delayed with a hope that they may not happen (and also not be felt before an election). Funding will still fall in real terms though.

The other option is borrow a bit and tax more and invest in education, health and infrastructure. Perhaps a gamble but maintaining growth and if coordinated with the BoE might not force an interest rate hike. This is not demand led inflation. Tricky though as the BoE has few levers to control inflation with...

Leigh

But who on earth wants to go to London anyway? Much better to spend 1/4 of the amount putting full fibre broadband into every property.

If you bothered to read it's not all about going to London. Freeing up track for other services is a major part.

Plus if you want full fibre broadband in your house you should pay for it yourself."

So, thinking about it, HS2 will link Birmingham and Manchester with London. Very few stations on the route. To "free up track" people have to want to use the service to get between these few stations. Most are likely to go to London. So the question stands, who on earth wants to go to London anyway? Horrible dirty polluted place full of people.

As for full fibre broadband, many would pay for it if it was available. It isn't universally available. The investment would make it available to every property.

Full fibre synchronous broadband would allow many more people to work from home. There is no reason at all for people to go into an office these days.

ROMFORD

Plus if you want full fibre broadband in your house you should pay for it yourself.

So, thinking about it, HS2 will link Birmingham and Manchester with London. Very few stations on the route. To "free up track" people have to want to use the service to get between these few stations. Most are likely to go to London. So the question stands, who on earth wants to go to London anyway? Horrible dirty polluted place full of people.

As for full fibre broadband, many would pay for it if it was available. It isn't universally available. The investment would make it available to every property.

Full fibre synchronous broadband would allow many more people to work from home. There is no reason at all for people to go into an office these days."

What a load of complete rubbish. There are plenty of reasons to go to an office.

By *instonandLadyAstorCouple  over a year ago

Not where we seem to be...

Full fibre synchronous broadband would allow many more people to work from home. There is no reason at all for people to go into an office these days."

I go into London every day. I also regularly travel to the Northern shires.

My job can't be done from home.

HS2 will be a godsend for many, with the added knock on benefits for other lines and services.

And yes, it will go over budget, huge projects like this with so many unknowns and unforeseens always do.

Winston

Leigh

"What a load of complete rubbish. There are plenty of reasons to go to an office."

Such as what? I very rarely go into the office, once a year is too much.

The team I work with are nominally based across multiple offices so if I picked one, the whole team wouldn't be there anyway even if they were compelled to go to the office. As they can choose whether to go in or not, most don't. Some live too far from the office to commute, some live abroad in Europe, some in Asia.

With modern technology I can talk to any of them, with video if necessary (although we usually don't bother). Most client meetings are also remote and the only time we usually meet a client face to face is if we need to do a site visit.

Before covid people were asked to go into the office a couple of times a week if they lived near enough. Once that commuting requirement was removed, productivity increased slightly.

By *instonandLadyAstorCouple  over a year ago

Not where we seem to be...

"What a load of complete rubbish. There are plenty of reasons to go to an office.

The team I work with are nominally based across multiple offices so if I picked one, the whole team wouldn't be there anyway even if they were compelled to go to the office. As they can choose whether to go in or not, most don't. Some live too far from the office to commute, some live abroad in Europe, some in Asia.

With modern technology I can talk to any of them, with video if necessary (although we usually don't bother). Most client meetings are also remote and the only time we usually meet a client face to face is if we need to do a site visit.

Before covid people were asked to go into the office a couple of times a week if they lived near enough. Once that commuting requirement was removed, productivity increased slightly."

Your job can be done without going into an office.

That doesn't mean all jobs can be done without an office.

You don't want to go into London or use HS2 lines.

That doesn't mean no-one else wants to.

Winston

Leigh

"What a load of complete rubbish. There are plenty of reasons to go to an office.

Before covid people were asked to go into the office a couple of times a week if they lived near enough. Once that commuting requirement was removed, productivity increased slightly.

Winston

"

I did say "many more people" in the first post.

I maintain that most knowledge based jobs, which tend to be office based, can be done remotely.

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

Winston

I maintain that most knowledge based jobs, which tend to be office based, can be done remotely."

They can if you are already experienced.

Incredibly hard to start and learn in this sort of arrangement.

There is also a loss of undirected conversations (chatting rather than meetings) that leads to creativity and unexpected ideas.

That's my experience, anyway.

Leigh

Winston

I maintain that most knowledge based jobs, which tend to be office based, can be done remotely.

There is also a loss of undirected conversations (chatting rather than meetings) that leads to creativity and unexpected ideas.

That's my experience, anyway."

It depends on the company culture. I encourage all team members, from the most junior graduate to people who have worked with us for years to "ask, not struggle". I do expect them to use their initiative and not ask about absolutely everything but if they are struggling they know they can call any member of staff, from their peers to the directors, to obtain help. And they do that. Advice or training can then be provided, usually on the spot.

This works well as we have less than 100 employees, larger organisations may not want everyone calling the top directors but a similar more limited scheme would work.

In terms of random conversations, they are the most prevalent Teams calls. Formal meetings are rare.

The above makes for a welcoming environment where all can learn and thrive, whether in the office or not. Some staff prefer to be in the office, mainly the junior staff who may not have adequate dedicated space at home to work. If that is their choice then they are free to commute in.

It is a jobseekers market so why would anyone work for an organisation with a poor culture?

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle under Lyme

Honestly, we can manage an extra £5 a month on council tax. The freeze on the 20% PAYE threshold won't be too bad for us as it was already set to last until 2026 anyway.

The real test is fuel prices, inflation, and interest rates due to having a mortgage. Though many others will no doubt be in the same position.

ROMFORD

Winston

That's my experience, anyway.

It depends on the company culture. I encourage all team members, from the most junior graduate to people who have worked with us for years to "ask, not struggle". I do expect them to use their initiative and not ask about absolutely everything but if they are struggling they know they can call any member of staff, from their peers to the directors, to obtain help. And they do that. Advice or training can then be provided, usually on the spot.

This works well as we have less than 100 employees, larger organisations may not want everyone calling the top directors but a similar more limited scheme would work.

In terms of random conversations, they are the most prevalent Teams calls. Formal meetings are rare.

The above makes for a welcoming environment where all can learn and thrive, whether in the office or not. Some staff prefer to be in the office, mainly the junior staff who may not have adequate dedicated space at home to work. If that is their choice then they are free to commute in.

It is a jobseekers market so why would anyone work for an organisation with a poor culture?"

Well it seems you have changed your tune and contradicted yourself.

"There is no reason at all for people to go into an office these days."

Was what you posted now you have posted some staff do.!

Leigh

There is no business reason for them to go into the office however they choose to do so.

With full fibre broadband to every house, more would not want to commute.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Cebu City

"There is no business reason for them to go into the office however they choose to do so.

With full fibre broadband to every house, more would not want to commute."

When I’m in Dubai I go into an office most days and require my teams to. When I’m in the UK they can work from home or meet up, it’s up to them how they organise when I’m not around.

Work is about much more than than getting the job done. Loyalty & trust is built spending quality time together,, having fun, mentoring, etc.

» Add a new message to this topic