FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Good news for charities , pensioners and all workers who pay into pensions

Good news for charities , pensioners and all workers who pay into pensions

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ne Pass drilling OP   Man  over a year ago

Northampton

Bad news for all the merchants of doom and gloom. Dividend payments are set to be an all time high . This year they will be 85.8 billion compare to 79 billion in the previous year .

Charities will benefit from increased investment income as will all savers including pensioners . The only downside is that due to Rish Sunak more tax will be paid on this income . Had Liz Truss remained in power savers would not have been penalised .

This income is measurable and something that flows through your bank account. We should thank these companies and all their workers for increasing the standards of living of many of the less well off in society.

These are the companies that fund the public sector via Corporatiion Tax and collect VAT on behalf of the government.

Sadly the government have penalised charities and pensioners by introducing a windfall tax .

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *hropshireGentMan  over a year ago

shropshire

Finally, some positive news in the politics section

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Bad news for all the merchants of doom and gloom. Dividend payments are set to be an all time high . This year they will be 85.8 billion compare to 79 billion in the previous year .

Charities will benefit from increased investment income as will all savers including pensioners . The only downside is that due to Rish Sunak more tax will be paid on this income . Had Liz Truss remained in power savers would not have been penalised .

This income is measurable and something that flows through your bank account. We should thank these companies and all their workers for increasing the standards of living of many of the less well off in society.

These are the companies that fund the public sector via Corporatiion Tax and collect VAT on behalf of the government.

Sadly the government have penalised charities and pensioners by introducing a windfall tax . "

Some good news. Although it's not quite inflationary matching. And similar forecasts are for profit to slow and halt. Dividends are not perfectly correlated to company performance and GDP.

Most pensioners have locked on their income via annuities or have a DB scheme. They don't care. They may have cared of their scheme went under.

Those with DC schemes also care about capital. That fell c 10pc under truss. I think many would take a slightly higher tax hit rather than a 10pf hit on their pension.

Do charities even pay tax on dividends ?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Bad news for all the merchants of doom and gloom. Dividend payments are set to be an all time high . This year they will be 85.8 billion compare to 79 billion in the previous year .

Sadly the government have penalised charities and pensioners by introducing a windfall tax . "

Liz Truss was sacked as PM for being thick as shit, I don’t like Sunak but he was right about Truss

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

"Finally, some positive news in the politics section "

Yes. A very minor increase in dividends (which were way way down). That will maybe potentially benefit some people with those specific shares in their funds.

Ironically, the bad news part of this mentioned by the OP, is the good news. More tax collected. Just a shame the Tories will mismanage is and/or give it to their mates.

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

The 56 yr old staring at his pension pot finally reveals why he actually was/is such an advocate of Liz Truss. Screw all the turmoil and damage she caused that has impacted everyone, my pension pot will benefit.

Northampton

Sadly the government have penalised charities and pensioners by introducing a windfall tax .

The 56 yr old staring at his pension pot finally reveals why he actually was/is such an advocate of Liz Truss. Screw all the turmoil and damage she caused that has impacted everyone, my pension pot will benefit."

. Your comment fails on the very first point. Sometimes in life you need to do a little investigation. I never referred to my own persion pot , I was referring to at least 13 million people in defined benefit schemes. You made a very strange assumption. For all you know I may not even by a member of a pension scheme but I wish the best of luck to those who are .

Brighton

The 56 yr old staring at his pension pot finally reveals why he actually was/is such an advocate of Liz Truss. Screw all the turmoil and damage she caused that has impacted everyone, my pension pot will benefit.. Your comment fails on the very first point. Sometimes in life you need to do a little investigation. I never referred to my own persion pot , I was referring to at least 13 million people in defined benefit schemes. You made a very strange assumption. For all you know I may not even by a member of a pension scheme but I wish the best of luck to those who are ."

Ha ha ha the Lady Doth Protest Too Much. You are totally focused on your pension. Just a by-product that it allows you to look concerned about lots of others. BTW what “investigation” is needed?

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

The 56 yr old staring at his pension pot finally reveals why he actually was/is such an advocate of Liz Truss. Screw all the turmoil and damage she caused that has impacted everyone, my pension pot will benefit.. Your comment fails on the very first point. Sometimes in life you need to do a little investigation. I never referred to my own persion pot , I was referring to at least 13 million people in defined benefit schemes. You made a very strange assumption. For all you know I may not even by a member of a pension scheme but I wish the best of luck to those who are ."

does it help them? It's better than a poke in the eye... But it's no huge great windfall. They possibly expect correlation between dividends and inflation.

Not an ALM expert, but I suspect the higher interest rates are a bigger win for scheme funding. Provided they weren't balls deep in LDI.

And the ftse drop during truss may also have been an issue.

This all assumes of course a high equity content. As many are maturing I suspect they are fast shifting to fixed interest.

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

"Finally, some positive news in the politics section "

I agree. It nice to have some good news especially this time of year

Liz Truss cost the UK economy £30 billion

Northampton

The 56 yr old staring at his pension pot finally reveals why he actually was/is such an advocate of Liz Truss. Screw all the turmoil and damage she caused that has impacted everyone, my pension pot will benefit.. Your comment fails on the very first point. Sometimes in life you need to do a little investigation. I never referred to my own persion pot , I was referring to at least 13 million people in defined benefit schemes. You made a very strange assumption. For all you know I may not even by a member of a pension scheme but I wish the best of luck to those who are .

Ha ha ha the Lady Doth Protest Too Much. You are totally focused on your pension. Just a by-product that it allows you to look concerned about lots of others. BTW what “investigation” is needed?"

. Your comment is simply bizarre and far removed from the world of reality . If you were looking for any fault in the post what you should have said is that the reference should also include defined contribution schemes. I am confident that any member of a pension scheme will regard this as very good news That includes all the people in these schemes, not just those drawing pensions from them

By *9alMan  over a year ago

Bridgend

don't get too excited about this OP the government & the pension firms will find a way to steal any extra money that might be in our pension pots

Northampton

"don't get too excited about this OP the government & the pension firms will find a way to steal any extra money that might be in our pension pots "
. Those are actual dividend payments and are easy to both monitor and measure .

golden fields

Couldn't find anything about this in the news OP. Can you direct us to the source, so we can read up.

Northampton

"Couldn't find anything about this in the news OP. Can you direct us to the source, so we can read up."
. It is in the press today .

Brighton

The 56 yr old staring at his pension pot finally reveals why he actually was/is such an advocate of Liz Truss. Screw all the turmoil and damage she caused that has impacted everyone, my pension pot will benefit.. Your comment fails on the very first point. Sometimes in life you need to do a little investigation. I never referred to my own persion pot , I was referring to at least 13 million people in defined benefit schemes. You made a very strange assumption. For all you know I may not even by a member of a pension scheme but I wish the best of luck to those who are .

Ha ha ha the Lady Doth Protest Too Much. You are totally focused on your pension. Just a by-product that it allows you to look concerned about lots of others. BTW what “investigation” is needed?. Your comment is simply bizarre and far removed from the world of reality . If you were looking for any fault in the post what you should have said is that the reference should also include defined contribution schemes. I am confident that any member of a pension scheme will regard this as very good news That includes all the people in these schemes, not just those drawing pensions from them "

Except of course my reference was to your support of Truss and her unfunded tax cuts. You said “Had Liz Truss remained in power savers would not have been penalised” so clearly your own vested interest is on your pension. I bet you have paid off your mortgage so couldn’t care less about rate rises.

golden fields

"Couldn't find anything about this in the news OP. Can you direct us to the source, so we can read up.. It is in the press today . "

Any further clues beyond "press"?

Normally a Google of your text shows where you got it from. But nothing this time.

Northampton

Ha ha ha the Lady Doth Protest Too Much. You are totally focused on your pension. Just a by-product that it allows you to look concerned about lots of others. BTW what “investigation” is needed?. Your comment is simply bizarre and far removed from the world of reality . If you were looking for any fault in the post what you should have said is that the reference should also include defined contribution schemes. I am confident that any member of a pension scheme will regard this as very good news That includes all the people in these schemes, not just those drawing pensions from them

Except of course my reference was to your support of Truss and her unfunded tax cuts. You said “Had Liz Truss remained in power savers would not have been penalised” so clearly your own vested interest is on your pension. I bet you have paid off your mortgage so couldn’t care less about rate rises."

. I made a specific quote concerning savers , pensioners and pension funds . Maybe re read the various posts on this matter. I have never at any stage mentioned my own personal financial circumstances, I referred to at least 13 million people who are members of various pension schemes. This will include both those currently working and those drawing pensions.

Northampton

"Couldn't find anything about this in the news OP. Can you direct us to the source, so we can read up.. It is in the press today .

Normally a Google of your text shows where you got it from. But nothing this time. "

Today's Daily Telegrapgh .

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Couldn't find anything about this in the news OP. Can you direct us to the source, so we can read up.. It is in the press today .

Normally a Google of your text shows where you got it from. But nothing this time. "

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-11570245/Dividends-hit-record-high-Shareholders-pocket-86bn-2023.html

golden fields

Normally a Google of your text shows where you got it from. But nothing this time. Today's Daily Telegrapgh . "

Searched the Telegraph's website. Nothing comes up. Can you link?

golden fields

Normally a Google of your text shows where you got it from. But nothing this time. https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-11570245/Dividends-hit-record-high-Shareholders-pocket-86bn-2023.html

"

As thank you.

Brighton

Ha ha ha the Lady Doth Protest Too Much. You are totally focused on your pension. Just a by-product that it allows you to look concerned about lots of others. BTW what “investigation” is needed?. Your comment is simply bizarre and far removed from the world of reality . If you were looking for any fault in the post what you should have said is that the reference should also include defined contribution schemes. I am confident that any member of a pension scheme will regard this as very good news That includes all the people in these schemes, not just those drawing pensions from them

Except of course my reference was to your support of Truss and her unfunded tax cuts. You said “Had Liz Truss remained in power savers would not have been penalised” so clearly your own vested interest is on your pension. I bet you have paid off your mortgage so couldn’t care less about rate rises.. I made a specific quote concerning savers , pensioners and pension funds . Maybe re read the various posts on this matter. I have never at any stage mentioned my own personal financial circumstances, I referred to at least 13 million people who are members of various pension schemes. This will include both those currently working and those drawing pensions. "

Oh dear Pat it really shouldn’t be this hard.

I know this particular thread was primarily focused on some positive news for dividends. Not denying that. But across multiple threads (and also referenced in this one) you have been clear on your unwavering support for Liz Truss. This thread made it clear why you felt that way. Tax cuts that would have benefitted you even though they crashed the economy purely by being announced.

Northampton

Except of course my reference was to your support of Truss and her unfunded tax cuts. You said “Had Liz Truss remained in power savers would not have been penalised” so clearly your own vested interest is on your pension. I bet you have paid off your mortgage so couldn’t care less about rate rises.. I made a specific quote concerning savers , pensioners and pension funds . Maybe re read the various posts on this matter. I have never at any stage mentioned my own personal financial circumstances, I referred to at least 13 million people who are members of various pension schemes. This will include both those currently working and those drawing pensions.

I know this particular thread was primarily focused on some positive news for dividends. Not denying that. But across multiple threads (and also referenced in this one) you have been clear on your unwavering support for Liz Truss. This thread made it clear why you felt that way. Tax cuts that would have benefitted you even though they crashed the economy purely by being announced."

. The tax cuts to which you refer were designed to stimulate growth in the economy. Whilst the borrowing was unfunded the projected growth would eventually have generated sufficient growth to repay the borrowing. The economy hardly crashed , you cannot pass judgement on what happens in the space of a month. . Sadly we may now have missed the opportunity of a lifetime.

golden fields

Except of course my reference was to your support of Truss and her unfunded tax cuts. You said “Had Liz Truss remained in power savers would not have been penalised” so clearly your own vested interest is on your pension. I bet you have paid off your mortgage so couldn’t care less about rate rises.. I made a specific quote concerning savers , pensioners and pension funds . Maybe re read the various posts on this matter. I have never at any stage mentioned my own personal financial circumstances, I referred to at least 13 million people who are members of various pension schemes. This will include both those currently working and those drawing pensions.

I know this particular thread was primarily focused on some positive news for dividends. Not denying that. But across multiple threads (and also referenced in this one) you have been clear on your unwavering support for Liz Truss. This thread made it clear why you felt that way. Tax cuts that would have benefitted you even though they crashed the economy purely by being announced.. The tax cuts to which you refer were designed to stimulate growth in the economy. Whilst the borrowing was unfunded the projected growth would eventually have generated sufficient growth to repay the borrowing. The economy hardly crashed , you cannot pass judgement on what happens in the space of a month. . Sadly we may now have missed the opportunity of a lifetime. "

We may have. But more likely we missed out on more ruinous policy and more fracking to make fossil fuels companies very rich.

Still, Truss being torn apart on local radio was fun.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

I know this particular thread was primarily focused on some positive news for dividends. Not denying that. But across multiple threads (and also referenced in this one) you have been clear on your unwavering support for Liz Truss. This thread made it clear why you felt that way. Tax cuts that would have benefitted you even though they crashed the economy purely by being announced.. The tax cuts to which you refer were designed to stimulate growth in the economy. Whilst the borrowing was unfunded the projected growth would eventually have generated sufficient growth to repay the borrowing. The economy hardly crashed , you cannot pass judgement on what happens in the space of a month. . Sadly we may now have missed the opportunity of a lifetime. "

did they ever do a projection ?

Still plenty of time for another party to promote Tuftonomics. I'm sure they are buying up MPs as we speak.

Brighton

The markets disagreed with her (and you) and the UK economy took a £30bn hit. Once again Pat you skirt around certainty or being definitive with a “we MAY now have missed...” we haven’t. It was bonkers.

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

On the face of it, it sounds good for the few as usual. But underneath this, it’s not going to make a blind bit of difference to the rest of the country.

Whilst making record amounts of money, take into consideration the weak pound and the levels of inflation in real terms it’s piss poor, because the money being made is being eaten up by rising costs.

It’s like dog shit covered in glitter, looks sparkly but it’s still dog shit.

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle under Lyme

We all already pay more than enough tax. It's telling that there is skuttlebut about adding 12p duty to what we buy at the pump in the future. Not surprising as prices are starting to drop a little, can't miss out on shaking us down as much as they can.

Northampton

"On the face of it, it sounds good for the few as usual. But underneath this, it’s not going to make a blind bit of difference to the rest of the country.

Whilst making record amounts of money, take into consideration the weak pound and the levels of inflation in real terms it’s piss poor, because the money being made is being eaten up by rising costs.

It’s like dog shit covered in glitter, looks sparkly but it’s still dog shit."

. For a few ? It looks like you are a bit out on your estimate .There are 22.4 million people who are members of defined contribution schemes and 18.3 million in definite benefit schemes [ as at 2019 ) . It impacts the majority of the population

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"On the face of it, it sounds good for the few as usual. But underneath this, it’s not going to make a blind bit of difference to the rest of the country.

It’s like dog shit covered in glitter, looks sparkly but it’s still dog shit.. For a few ? It looks like you are a bit out on your estimate .There are 22.4 million people who are members of defined contribution schemes and 18.3 million in definite benefit schemes [ as at 2019 ) . It impacts the majority of the population "

tbf the pound weakening has given UK denominated funds a boost above and beyond other currencies. Of course, this will be reversed if the pound strengthens again.

But DC in particular care a lot less about a years worth of dividends, and more about capital growth. Irrc FTSE has bounced back from it's drop in September ish time. So good news we got last whatever caused that blip . Higher inter rates probably feed through to lower market valuations.

It's a positive, albeit hard to tell of this is record breaking profits... Or a bit of releasing pent up cash from covid.

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

During a period of below inflation pay rises, who is paying for these record dividends, do you think.

You seem to be implying that a reduction in the wages of those working being transferred to those not working or "earning" through owning rather than doing is a good thing.

Sadly this is a zero sum game. A pension funds gain (after making up for its losses in Gilts) is a wage earners loss. In fact, they lose twice because their employer pension contributions would also be lower than they would be had their wages increased instead of being taken as profit by their employers...

Northampton

"During a period of below inflation pay rises, who is paying for these record dividends, do you think.

You seem to be implying that a reduction in the wages of those working being transferred to those not working or "earning" through owning rather than doing is a good thing.

Sadly this is a zero sum game. A pension funds gain (after making up for its losses in Gilts) is a wage earners loss. In fact, they lose twice because their employer pension contributions would also be lower than they would be had their wages increased instead of being taken as profit by their employers... "

. The payroll cost in probabl

y irrelevant to the argument. If companies were not paying the going rate employees would simply leave and go elsewhere.

I can see any employee who is a member of a companies shareholder scheme complaining. Good news for both the company, employees and shareholders. The success is shared by everyone.

Brighton

Probably. Possibly. Maybe. Could be. Might be. Etc

"During a period of below inflation pay rises, who is paying for these record dividends, do you think.

Sadly this is a zero sum game. A pension funds gain (after making up for its losses in Gilts) is a wage earners loss. In fact, they lose twice because their employer pension contributions would also be lower than they would be had their wages increased instead of being taken as profit by their employers... . The payroll cost in probabl

y irrelevant to the argument. If companies were not paying the going rate employees would simply leave and go elsewhere.

I can see any employee who is a member of a companies shareholder scheme complaining. Good news for both the company, employees and shareholders. The success is shared by everyone.

"

We currently face the biggest drop in living standards for over 40 years

golden fields

"Probably. Possibly. Maybe. Could be. Might be. Etc"

Any rational person would bank on a possible maybe.

What a crock, what a load of dribble, I won't even be pulled into that rubbish, as that statement only benefits those who are already well-off in life.

The government are gone they know it, but will not step aside, a kinda of dictatorship using a majority that no longer exists to stay in power and continue the transition of wealth, Good News my ..........

Northampton

Sadly this is a zero sum game. A pension funds gain (after making up for its losses in Gilts) is a wage earners loss. In fact, they lose twice because their employer pension contributions would also be lower than they would be had their wages increased instead of being taken as profit by their employers... . The payroll cost in probabl

We currently face the biggest drop in living standards for over 40 years "

. I cannot see many people bein bothered about that . Living standards are still very good and everyone is aware of the impact of the Russian war on the world economy. Maybe take a walk down the high street and see for yourself.

Northampton

The 56 yr old staring at his pension pot finally reveals why he actually was/is such an advocate of Liz Truss. Screw all the turmoil and damage she caused that has impacted everyone, my pension pot will benefit."

. You would have no idea if I have a pension pot or for that matter my financial circumstences . The post was aimed at those paying into pension pots regardless of whether they were defined contribution or defined benefit schemes . I think there are about 30 million members in total.

Brighton

The 56 yr old staring at his pension pot finally reveals why he actually was/is such an advocate of Liz Truss. Screw all the turmoil and damage she caused that has impacted everyone, my pension pot will benefit.. You would have no idea if I have a pension pot or for that matter my financial circumstences . The post was aimed at those paying into pension pots regardless of whether they were defined contribution or defined benefit schemes . I think there are about 30 million members in total. "

Of course you have a pension pot. You also appear to have properties in several places across the UK and spend a fairly substantial amount of time in Cap each summer. It is quite clear from posts you have done over the years that you are mortgage free (therefore would have been unaffected by Trussonomics) and it is now all about your pension.

There is nothing wrong with looking after your financial future but just be honest about it

Northampton

The 56 yr old staring at his pension pot finally reveals why he actually was/is such an advocate of Liz Truss. Screw all the turmoil and damage she caused that has impacted everyone, my pension pot will benefit.. You would have no idea if I have a pension pot or for that matter my financial circumstences . The post was aimed at those paying into pension pots regardless of whether they were defined contribution or defined benefit schemes . I think there are about 30 million members in total.

Of course you have a pension pot. You also appear to have properties in several places across the UK and spend a fairly substantial amount of time in Cap each summer. It is quite clear from posts you have done over the years that you are mortgage free (therefore would have been unaffected by Trussonomics) and it is now all about your pension.

There is nothing wrong with looking after your financial future but just be honest about it "

. Maybe you need to read the actual title of the post and its contents . It refers to charities , pensioners and those who pay into pensions . Last time I checked about 29 million people paid into pension pots and a lot of charities have legacy income . The post made no reference to my personal circumstances. It was aimed at the majority of the UK population.

If you were seeking to find fault maybe you should have stated that while there are 29 million people who are members of pension schemes the size of the pension pot for some members is so small it will have little impact on future retirement income .

West London

We currently face the biggest drop in living standards for over 40 years . I cannot see many people bein bothered about that . Living standards are still very good and everyone is aware of the impact of the Russian war on the world economy. Maybe take a walk down the high street and see for yourself. "

You cannot see many people being bothered about a fall in their living standards?

Interesting view on the world.

You should have a walk down a few more high streets.

One of my local high streets is Oxford Street. It's not looking at all "good". The same is repeated throughout the country.

You just seem to lie.

golden fields

We currently face the biggest drop in living standards for over 40 years . I cannot see many people bein bothered about that . Living standards are still very good and everyone is aware of the impact of the Russian war on the world economy. Maybe take a walk down the high street and see for yourself. "

Yes, any rational person would welcome the drastic drop in living standards.

Brighton

The 56 yr old staring at his pension pot finally reveals why he actually was/is such an advocate of Liz Truss. Screw all the turmoil and damage she caused that has impacted everyone, my pension pot will benefit.. You would have no idea if I have a pension pot or for that matter my financial circumstences . The post was aimed at those paying into pension pots regardless of whether they were defined contribution or defined benefit schemes . I think there are about 30 million members in total.

There is nothing wrong with looking after your financial future but just be honest about it . Maybe you need to read the actual title of the post and its contents . It refers to charities , pensioners and those who pay into pensions . Last time I checked about 29 million people paid into pension pots and a lot of charities have legacy income . The post made no reference to my personal circumstances. It was aimed at the majority of the UK population.

If you were seeking to find fault maybe you should have stated that while there are 29 million people who are members of pension schemes the size of the pension pot for some members is so small it will have little impact on future retirement income . "

I have a few pensions pots myself (no I do not think consolidating them is a good idea as I prefer to spread risk). Nobody is disputing whether increases in dividends is good for pension funds.

The point being made is that by you focusing in on this, by the nature of your responses and posts both in this thread and many many others, you have revealed a lot about your personal priorities.

It is perhaps not surprising given your age, but for folks in their 20s/30s right now, increased company revenue leading to increased profits leading to increased dividends are not either tangible or important as they struggle with the cost of living!

West London

"

You believe that payroll costs have no connection profits and therefore dividends?

Interesting theory.

Employees are leaving and going elsewhere. There are also reasons why that is not possible for many people.

Many people are not offered not are members of a company shareholder scheme.

There is, however, an implication from your comment, that it is better for the wider population for a company to have higher dividends that benefit shareholders, of which some proportion are pension funds, than to receive a higher salary. Also that people don't mind below inflation pay rises of it increases dividend payments to other people.

Is that your proposition?

Why are we currently facing the biggest drop in living standards for over 40 years??

golden fields

We currently face the biggest drop in living standards for over 40 years . I cannot see many people bein bothered about that . Living standards are still very good and everyone is aware of the impact of the Russian war on the world economy. Maybe take a walk down the high street and see for yourself.

Why are we currently facing the biggest drop in living standards for over 40 years?? "

He "...cannot see many people bein bothered about that"

Any rational person should be thankful that the Tories don't yet hunt us in the streets, and they just try to kill us off through poverty.

By *uddy laneMan  over a year ago

dudley

We currently face the biggest drop in living standards for over 40 years . I cannot see many people bein bothered about that . Living standards are still very good and everyone is aware of the impact of the Russian war on the world economy. Maybe take a walk down the high street and see for yourself.

Why are we currently facing the biggest drop in living standards for over 40 years?? "

People need to educate themselves on how the financial markets operate and get involved and use their personal capital gains allowance of over 12k of extra money supply in these times of hardship. The removal of the banker bonus cap is a big clue to how the markets are going to perform.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Why are we currently facing the biggest drop in living standards for over 40 years??

People need to educate themselves on how the financial markets operate and get involved and use their personal capital gains allowance of over 12k of extra money supply in these times of hardship. The removal of the banker bonus cap is a big clue to how the markets are going to perform. "

shouldnt these ppl be getting into ISAs before worryomg about chasing CGT allowances.

dudley

People need to educate themselves on how the financial markets operate and get involved and use their personal capital gains allowance of over 12k of extra money supply in these times of hardship. The removal of the banker bonus cap is a big clue to how the markets are going to perform. shouldnt these ppl be getting into ISAs before worryomg about chasing CGT allowances.

"

People fear or worry about what they do not understand and we have a huge financial industry in the uk so why not get involved. What happens to the money invested in an isa.. it is used by the financial industry on the markets.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

People need to educate themselves on how the financial markets operate and get involved and use their personal capital gains allowance of over 12k of extra money supply in these times of hardship. The removal of the banker bonus cap is a big clue to how the markets are going to perform. shouldnt these ppl be getting into ISAs before worryomg about chasing CGT allowances.

People fear or worry about what they do not understand and we have a huge financial industry in the uk so why not get involved. What happens to the money invested in an isa.. it is used by the financial industry on the markets. "

you're assuming I don't know.

Im all for saving and investing. Just do it via an ISA first (and then probably pension) before working about cgt-able investments.

And diversify.

Northampton

Any rational person should be thankful that the Tories don't yet hunt us in the streets, and they just try to kill us off through poverty. "

. It sounds like you might need to brush up on your knowledge of the benefits system. We have half a million cars on the disability mobility scheme , anyone unemployed in rented accommodation will have their rent paid for by the government and more than eight million low income houdeholds who claim various benefits will receive a £650 one off payment. It seems that the government are doing a lot to help the needy. We should be extremely greatfull for all the help given.

By *instonandLadyAstorCouple  over a year ago

Not where we seem to be...

Any rational person should be thankful that the Tories don't yet hunt us in the streets, and they just try to kill us off through poverty. . It sounds like you might need to brush up on your knowledge of the benefits system. We have half a million cars on the disability mobility scheme , anyone unemployed in rented accommodation will have their rent paid for by the government and more than eight million low income houdeholds who claim various benefits will receive a £650 one off payment. It seems that the government are doing a lot to help the needy. We should be extremely greatfull for all the help given. "

There's a maximum cap on the amount that's paid towards rent, if you're a single person it's based on local rent costs for a 1 bedroom property.

God forbid if you live in anything bigger with a higher rent, the full rental cost won't be paid.

Winston

dudley

People fear or worry about what they do not understand and we have a huge financial industry in the uk so why not get involved. What happens to the money invested in an isa.. it is used by the financial industry on the markets. you're assuming I don't know.

Im all for saving and investing. Just do it via an ISA first (and then probably pension) before working about cgt-able investments.

And diversify. "

Folks there is nothing to fear from education and the personal gains from using the markets yourself.

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

So sone businesses like the oil companies report huge profits due to Ukraine and pass on some benefit to their shareholders .

What a shame that 75% of both the big U.K. majors BP and Shell shares are owned by American investment funds not U.K. pension funds..

The only U.K. pension fund with any substantial holding in BP is the U.K. civil service union pension but only a small part of their portfolio.

Great news for pensioners I must agree but such a shame they are mostly American. Oh well maybe next time.

Northampton

"So sone businesses like the oil companies report huge profits due to Ukraine and pass on some benefit to their shareholders .

What a shame that 75% of both the big U.K. majors BP and Shell shares are owned by American investment funds not U.K. pension funds..

The only U.K. pension fund with any substantial holding in BP is the U.K. civil service union pension but only a small part of their portfolio.

Great news for pensioners I must agree but such a shame they are mostly American. Oh well maybe next time. "

. However most of these dividends are not from oil companies . The highest payers are as listed. Shell. £6 billion , Glencore £5.7 billion , Rio Tinto £5.6 billion , BAT £5.3 billion, HSBC £4.9 billion , Astra Zeneca, £3.8 billion , Unilever. £3.7 billion , BP £3.4 billion , GSK £2.4 billon and Vodafone £2.1 billon.

West London

"So sone businesses like the oil companies report huge profits due to Ukraine and pass on some benefit to their shareholders .

Great news for pensioners I must agree but such a shame they are mostly American. Oh well maybe next time. . However most of these dividends are not from oil companies . The highest payers are as listed. Shell. £6 billion , Glencore £5.7 billion , Rio Tinto £5.6 billion , BAT £5.3 billion, HSBC £4.9 billion , Astra Zeneca, £3.8 billion , Unilever. £3.7 billion , BP £3.4 billion , GSK £2.4 billon and Vodafone £2.1 billon. "

Are these companies maintaining their employees' standards of living during a period of high inflation or are these dividends being paid whilst their staff become poorer?

Manchester

Great news for pensioners I must agree but such a shame they are mostly American. Oh well maybe next time. . However most of these dividends are not from oil companies . The highest payers are as listed. Shell. £6 billion , Glencore £5.7 billion , Rio Tinto £5.6 billion , BAT £5.3 billion, HSBC £4.9 billion , Astra Zeneca, £3.8 billion , Unilever. £3.7 billion , BP £3.4 billion , GSK £2.4 billon and Vodafone £2.1 billon. "

Please see who owns the majority of their shares

Top ten shareholders in each company

Riot Tinto - All USA based

BAT - All USA based

Vodafone - UAE x 1 , Norway x 1, rest USA

Astra Zeneca - U.K x 1 rest USA

Unilever - top ten 1 x U.K. 9 USA

Glencore - Qatar x 1 rest USA

HSBC - Norway x 1 rest USA

GSK - top ten USA

So much U.K. pension winning !!

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Great news for pensioners I must agree but such a shame they are mostly American. Oh well maybe next time. . However most of these dividends are not from oil companies . The highest payers are as listed. Shell. £6 billion , Glencore £5.7 billion , Rio Tinto £5.6 billion , BAT £5.3 billion, HSBC £4.9 billion , Astra Zeneca, £3.8 billion , Unilever. £3.7 billion , BP £3.4 billion , GSK £2.4 billon and Vodafone £2.1 billon.

BAT - All USA based

GSK - top ten USA

"

tbf the "market cap" of the largest UK dB is probably not top 10. I'm guessing Norway is their wealth fund ?

I'd also guess some smaller DC pensions invest in the us funds.

But that's all a distraction. There's been five years of lost dividends. So the good news is we are back to 2018 levels (in nominal terms) albeit possibly propped up by some retained cash.

It's better than a poke in the eye. It's probably too soon to call it a complete recovery. Schemes who rely on dividends will still be behind a fair bit.

Manchester

[Removed by poster at 27/12/22 15:48:46]

Manchester

Great news for pensioners I must agree but such a shame they are mostly American. Oh well maybe next time. . However most of these dividends are not from oil companies . The highest payers are as listed. Shell. £6 billion , Glencore £5.7 billion , Rio Tinto £5.6 billion , BAT £5.3 billion, HSBC £4.9 billion , Astra Zeneca, £3.8 billion , Unilever. £3.7 billion , BP £3.4 billion , GSK £2.4 billon and Vodafone £2.1 billon.

BAT - All USA based

GSK - top ten USA

tbf the "market cap" of the largest UK dB is probably not top 10. I'm guessing Norway is their wealth fund ?

I'd also guess some smaller DC pensions invest in the us funds.

But that's all a distraction. There's been five years of lost dividends. So the good news is we are back to 2018 levels (in nominal terms) albeit possibly propped up by some retained cash.

It's better than a poke in the eye. It's probably too soon to call it a complete recovery. Schemes who rely on dividends will still be behind a fair bit. "

I agree with your comment and it is a somewhat spiders web mess of structures but the vast majority of the benefit of the dividends is sent overseas. Sadly .

Added to this the tax due on said dividends is paid into the country of receipt. Again not the U.K.

Yes you are also correct it’s the Norwegian Wealth fund.

By *abrina59TV/TS  over a year ago

submissive land

It must be so heartening to those nurses, etc & worst off in our society who having to use food banks to live, that their huge share portfolio has increased the amount of dividends they can expect to receive

Northampton

BAT - All USA based

GSK - top ten USA

"

. I cannot see many UK fund managers complaining about this performance . It is simply good news for everyone regardless of whether they hold the shares dirctly or indirectly

Ed Legget and Ambrose Faulks, elite managers of the Artemis UK Select fund, started building a position in Shell, now their top holding at 5.7% of their portfolio, last year. ‘With free cashflow yields in the mid-teens and given... sensitivity to rising energy prices, the relative and absolute value opportunity was too compelling for us to ignore,’ they said in their fund’s latest annual report.

golden fields

BAT - All USA based

GSK - top ten USA

. I cannot see many UK fund managers complaining about this performance . It is simply good news for everyone regardless of whether they hold the shares dirctly or indirectly

Ed Legget and Ambrose Faulks, elite managers of the Artemis UK Select fund, started building a position in Shell, now their top holding at 5.7% of their portfolio, last year. ‘With free cashflow yields in the mid-teens and given... sensitivity to rising energy prices, the relative and absolute value opportunity was too compelling for us to ignore,’ they said in their fund’s latest annual report."

Lol. And what does this mean for the few of us who are not hedge fund managers?

Brighton

BAT - All USA based

GSK - top ten USA

Ed Legget and Ambrose Faulks, elite managers of the Artemis UK Select fund, started building a position in Shell, now their top holding at 5.7% of their portfolio, last year. ‘With free cashflow yields in the mid-teens and given... sensitivity to rising energy prices, the relative and absolute value opportunity was too compelling for us to ignore,’ they said in their fund’s latest annual report."

Somebody’s been keeping a close eye on their pension fund aye Pat? Good for you.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

BAT - All USA based

GSK - top ten USA

Ed Legget and Ambrose Faulks, elite managers of the Artemis UK Select fund, started building a position in Shell, now their top holding at 5.7% of their portfolio, last year. ‘With free cashflow yields in the mid-teens and given... sensitivity to rising energy prices, the relative and absolute value opportunity was too compelling for us to ignore,’ they said in their fund’s latest annual report.

Lol. And what does this mean for the few of us who are not hedge fund managers?"

not much in the context of this thread.

Fund managers who can only pick UK stocks have picked a UK stock for *reasons*. They big up their pick as they want to encourage ppl to invest in their fund. Depending on the range of companies they can buy, 5.7pc feels like they may even be underweight in them (meaning shell makes up less of their fund as a percentage as shall makes up of the FTSE)

West London

BAT - All USA based

GSK - top ten USA

You need to practise your empathy.

It's also very clear that you only "answer" the questions that you can most easily change the subject on.

It's strange then that the average pension fund seems to have suffered losses of 12% in such an amazingly good environment for pensions.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/value-private-pension-schemes-uk-suffer-double-digit-drop-113931855.html

There are, of coursez always great upside opportunities when the market is tanking and we are heading into a global recession with China unable to spend us out this time...

Manchester

BAT - All USA based

GSK - top ten USA

Did you understand what you copied and pasted?

Yes 5.7% of their U.K. portfolio but not a large holding compared to the likes of Fisher, Blackrock and Franklin etc.

For comparison Ambrose Faulks total U.K. investment fund is just over £1.2B so they have only £68m worth of shell shares. The tenth ranked Shell stockholder Franklin Advisors have £368m worth of stock. The largest holder Fisher have £1.2Billion. Seventeen times as much in dividends for just that one US company compared to Ambrose Faulks.

Six of the top ten stock holders have purchased in the last few weeks an additional batch of shares worth five times as much as Ambrose’s total shell holdings.

Interestingly the other two Ambrose managed funds have the majority of their high income fund invested with foreign governments and foreign businesses. In addition only 8% of their global fund is invested in U.K. equities. Obviously not huge confidence in the U.K. there then from a U.K. based investor.

You are missing or choosing to ignore the obvious point completely that the financial benefit of the vast majority of those dividends whilst generated in the U.K. are in fact leaving the U.K. to benefit other country’s citizens.

It is only a small fraction of that number which is staying in the U.K.

Brighton

STOP THE PRESS: Shock revelation that Pat is gaslighting again!

» Add a new message to this topic