FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Turnips V Tomatoes

Turnips V Tomatoes

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *oo hot OP   Couple  over a year ago

North West

Personally, I’m with Coffrey on this. Who the fuck wants to eat tomatoes in winter when turnips are so readily available?

Expecting a wide choice of high quality fresh food and veg all year round is just woke and lefty.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Personally, I’m with Coffrey on this. Who the fuck wants to eat tomatoes in winter when turnips are so readily available?

Expecting a wide choice of high quality fresh food and veg all year round is just woke and lefty.

"

I have a Florida house. Tomatoes available every day of the year. Geopolitical attitudes suck. Don't you agree?

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Personally I think she is a turnip.

By *exy_HornyCouple  over a year ago

Leigh

The general public have got too used to having fresh food which is out of season in the UK available in supermarkets all year round.

Also, food in the UK is much cheaper than in other countries such as France.

We should pay British farmers a sustainable amount for their produce and eat more seasonal food. This reduces the food miles and makes the supply chain more resilient.

North West

"The general public have got too used to having fresh food which is out of season in the UK available in supermarkets all year round.

Also, food in the UK is much cheaper than in other countries such as France.

We should pay British farmers a sustainable amount for their produce and eat more seasonal food. This reduces the food miles and makes the supply chain more resilient."

Yes. More expensive food. That’s also something else that we should welcome right?

There was a guy calling into various LBC shows yesterday also claiming that “European” food was more expensive and if we paid more we too would not have shortages.

Unfortunately for him, two people called in later (one from Caen in France and then a woman from Portugal) and proved him completely wrong. There was no significant difference other than “summer” veg was the same or cheaper in France and Portugal whereas winter veg was broadly the same other than cauliflower that was the same price in France but more expensive in Portugal.

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

Utterly ridiculous. Are we living in some kind of Orwellian dystopia?

For decades we have had international trade and just in time food shelf stocking meaning a whole generation (or two) have no concept (or need) of eating only local seasonal produce.

So much winning!

By *astandFeistyCouple  over a year ago

Bournemouth

Another rant

Do you ever start positive threads?

Anyway, who fucking cares if you can't get tomatoes for a few days, even weeks?

Maybe it's the way we are these days, entitled and expect everything to be readily available.

You'll live without your tomatoes.

Brighton

"Another rant

Maybe it's the way we are these days, entitled and expect everything to be readily available.

You'll live without your tomatoes."

To be fair to the OP (and my point above) I doubt the point is actually access to fresh fruit and veg. The point is we have not experienced that while being members of the EU. It is a retrograde step and symptomatic of a reduction in existing living standards that we have enjoyed for more than a generation.

Bournemouth

"Another rant

To be fair to the OP (and my point above) I doubt the point is actually access to fresh fruit and veg. The point is we have not experienced that while being members of the EU. It is a retrograde step and symptomatic of a reduction in existing living standards that we have enjoyed for more than a generation."

I'll agree its a retrograde step, however, we never ever ever ran out of anything whilst in the EU.

I'm struggling 'to be fair to the OP', all I ever see from the particular poster is doom. This is the second thread started by the OP on the same subject in matter in 2 days.

By *otMe66Man  over a year ago

Terra Firma

"Another rant

To be fair to the OP (and my point above) I doubt the point is actually access to fresh fruit and veg. The point is we have not experienced that while being members of the EU. It is a retrograde step and symptomatic of a reduction in existing living standards that we have enjoyed for more than a generation."

That is the focus here for sure, which leads me on to 2 question...

1) If the rules on fruit and veg imports haven't changed and won't until 2024, how would this situation be different if we were still in the EU?

2)The fruit and veg have been badly effected by frosts and bad weather, fuel prices are sky high. If poor quality produce was to travel to the UK at the already higher prices due to inflation and fuel costs, is it better to have that poor quality and expensive fruit on the shelves for sale in the UK or distribute closer to source to maintain the quality of the produce and keep the costs down?

By *uninlondon69Man  over a year ago

Lewisham

On the plus side, if I fancy a BLT it's still possible. Got my doubts about turnip ketchup though.

By *ichaelangelaCouple  over a year ago

notts

"Another rant

To be fair to the OP (and my point above) I doubt the point is actually access to fresh fruit and veg. The point is we have not experienced that while being members of the EU. It is a retrograde step and symptomatic of a reduction in existing living standards that we have enjoyed for more than a generation.

I'll agree its a retrograde step, however, we never ever ever ran out of anything whilst in the EU.

I'm struggling 'to be fair to the OP', all I ever see from the particular poster is doom. This is the second thread started by the OP on the same subject in matter in 2 days. "

We never ran out before we joined the EU either,

We grew our own veg

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Personally, I’m with Coffrey on this. Who the fuck wants to eat tomatoes in winter when turnips are so readily available?

I have a Florida house. Tomatoes available every day of the year. Geopolitical attitudes suck. Don't you agree? "

Do you have them air freighted to where you live?

I have a Florida house. Tomatoes available every day of the year. Geopolitical attitudes suck. Don't you agree?

Do you have them air freighted to where you live?"

if I wanted to yes doesn't cost a lot for overnight freight. Done it before just ask the neighbors down there to pick some and send.

By *uietbloke67Man  over a year ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

"Another rant

I'm struggling 'to be fair to the OP', all I ever see from the particular poster is doom. This is the second thread started by the OP on the same subject in matter in 2 days. "

No man would turnip their nose at you.....

I'll see myself out

North West

"Another rant

You'll live without your tomatoes."

maybe you don't watch the news?

This thread is particularly about the words that were uttered by Theresa Coffrey yesterday.

Perhaps I should send you drafts of my planned posts before posting them so that you can vet their suitability for this esteemed, yet anonymous, social outlet.

My next posts will either be about the Poll Tax riots and the economic/societal drivers of them and if those socioeconomic circumstances are different today

OR

it will be about how Jacob Rees Mogg should actually be hero-worshipped for having all of our best interests at heart.

By *uietbloke67Man  over a year ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

Turnips ....neeps and tatties.

Even when Nicola is retiring she has Scotland ahead of the game .....

Bournemouth

"Another rant

This thread is particularly about the words that were uttered by Theresa Coffrey yesterday.

Perhaps I should send you drafts of my planned posts before posting them so that you can vet their suitability for this esteemed, yet anonymous, social outlet.

My next posts will either be about the Poll Tax riots and the economic/societal drivers of them and if those socioeconomic circumstances are different today

OR

it will be about how Jacob Rees Mogg should actually be hero-worshipped for having all of our best interests at heart. "

So yet more negativity? Thanks for answering my first question.

As far as watching the news goes, no, I definitely do not watch TV news.

This thread, whilst under the guise of Coffeys words is definitely about lack of fruit and veg, the same as the other one you started

North West

"Another rant

OR

it will be about how Jacob Rees Mogg should actually be hero-worshipped for having all of our best interests at heart.

This thread, whilst under the guise of Coffeys words is definitely about lack of fruit and veg, the same as the other one you started"

You seem to have a habit of knowing exactly what is going through the minds of other posters on here and then making a point of attacking/criticising them for it. I am not the first.

Maybe you should just scroll on by rather than criticising posters and adding nothing to the thread? Just a thought.

FWIW I thought Coffrey’s words were hilarious yesterday and once again encapsulated the entire nonsense of Brexit ideology in a few sentences.

I personally do not think that that having a smaller choice of fruit and vegetables that is more expensive is somehow a step forwards for this nation. Technology and super-efficient supply chains had given us a first world grocery shopping experience and going back to the 1950’s again to enjoy only seasonal produce is probably not something that very many people were expecting a Government Minister to suggest.

Bournemouth

"Another rant

OR

This thread, whilst under the guise of Coffeys words is definitely about lack of fruit and veg, the same as the other one you started

You seem to have a habit of knowing exactly what is going through the minds of other posters on here and then making a point of attacking/criticising them for it. I am not the first.

Maybe you should just scroll on by rather than criticising posters and adding nothing to the thread? Just a thought.

FWIW I thought Coffrey’s words were hilarious yesterday and once again encapsulated the entire nonsense of Brexit ideology in a few sentences.

I personally do not think that that having a smaller choice of fruit and vegetables that is more expensive is somehow a step forwards for this nation. Technology and super-efficient supply chains had given us a first world grocery shopping experience and going back to the 1950’s again to enjoy only seasonal produce is probably not something that very many people were expecting a Government Minister to suggest. "

As long as you keep writing ridiculous threads I'll keep seeing them for what they are.

Imagine telling me to scroll by, you're welcome to ignore me all the same, neither of us control these forums

Brighton

I think at this rate Mrs B will need to pull out a Head Mistress / Dom outfit and put all you naughty bickering children over her knee for a good spanking

Anyway, retrograde step, less choice of fruit & veg, more expensive, rationing what there is! So much winning!

By *heshbifellaMan  over a year ago

Crewe

"I think at this rate Mrs B will need to pull out a Head Mistress / Dom outfit and put all you naughty bickering children over her knee for a good spanking

Anyway, retrograde step, less choice of fruit & veg, more expensive, rationing what there is! So much winning!"

So much whining, you mean! Got to admire certain people linking this to Brexit! The kind of remoaners who think that had we stayed in the EU, covid would have only circulated outside of the EU and Putin would not have invaded Ukraine.

Even though the salad shortage is linked to bad weather, I'm surprised the link is not made to alleged climate change, as that's another fashionable bandwagon the wokerati left like to board at every opportunity. Labour by the way banning all major road building in Wales, so stand by for UK rollout of this policy from '25 onwards.

Anyway, I've given up tomatoes for lent and it's been surprisingly easy so far

By *inkywife1981Couple  over a year ago

A town near you

Tomatoes are easily grown even in Ireland. For best results a polytunnel or greenhouse are handy.

Though I usually just buy tinned tomatoes for 49c in Aldi lol

"Tomatoes are easily grown even in Ireland. For best results a polytunnel or greenhouse are handy.

Though I usually just buy tinned tomatoes for 49c in Aldi lol"

God forid if you want tomatoes and you get them out of a tin. Blasphemy.

The reason there is no tomatoes is because the supermarkets refused to pay the price to turn the heating on, nothing to do with climate change its simply all early crops are grown artificially.

By *ornucopiaMan  over a year ago

Bexley

"Tomatoes are easily grown even in Ireland. For best results a polytunnel or greenhouse are handy.

Though I usually just buy tinned tomatoes for 49c in Aldi lol God forid if you want tomatoes and you get them out of a tin. Blasphemy. "

The skins are a lot more palatable

Gloucestershire

Look we’ve got no salad veg, but honestly how many people in here eat a salad on a regular basis?

I suspect Theresa coffeys shares in turnip futures have skyrocketed.

Bexley

"Look we’ve got no salad veg, but honestly how many people in here eat a salad on a regular basis?

I suspect Theresa coffeys shares in turnip futures have skyrocketed."

I try to include salad every day but

I don't eat 'effing turnips, ever!

By *ottom charlieMan  over a year ago

washington

"Personally I think she is a turnip."
i can see a nice pair of turnips now lol

By *9alMan  over a year ago

Bridgend

"Look we’ve got no salad veg, but honestly how many people in here eat a salad on a regular basis?

I don't eat 'effing turnips, ever!"

I wonder if the house of commons canteen has got turnips on the menu?

Crewe

I wonder if the house of commons canteen has got turnips on the menu? "

No, but it has a few turncoats! After exhausting himself trying to get commie Corbyn into number 10, slippery Starmer has now abandoned him and his policies, in one of the most breathtaking and shameless u-turns ever seen politically!

A town near you

Hard to beat turnip boiled with the bacon. Great taste. Boiled bacon, cabbage and mashed turnip.

Also tomatoes grow in abundance around most sewage treatment plants in the UK and Ireland!

I wonder if the house of commons canteen has got turnips on the menu? "

Nah, they put all the turnips in the Cabinet these days.

"Hard to beat turnip boiled with the bacon. Great taste. Boiled bacon, cabbage and mashed turnip.

Also tomatoes grow in abundance around most sewage treatment plants in the UK and Ireland!"

People panic over the dumbest shit

By *rLibertineMan  over a year ago

North Suffolk

This has been debated at length in the press this week - read up on it.

Brexit is not the main cause but is a contributing factor - we know why british farmers haven’t grown enough but why is there no shortage in Europe - they have high energy costs and covid etc - it’s because European producers find it easier to keep their products within the EU because of the brexit paperwork.

Also bad weather in Morocco is cited as a cause - check how much fruit/veg we imported from Morocco pre-Brexit.

Gloucestershire

"Hard to beat turnip boiled with the bacon. Great taste. Boiled bacon, cabbage and mashed turnip.

Also tomatoes grow in abundance around most sewage treatment plants in the UK and Ireland! People panic over the dumbest shit "

You wouldn’t understand. It’s not about panic, it’s the state of the UK economy in general, we’ve faced actual challenges over the past few years. Some self inflicted others not.

So let the British worry about our country, you worry about yours.

A town near you

Also tomatoes grow in abundance around most sewage treatment plants in the UK and Ireland! People panic over the dumbest shit

You wouldn’t understand. It’s not about panic, it’s the state of the UK economy in general, we’ve faced actual challenges over the past few years. Some self inflicted others not.

So let the British worry about our country, you worry about yours."

It's a public forum so we're free to worry or discuss any country we want!

Bournemouth

No one us panicking. Its just another stick to beat Brexit with. I'd guess that most people aren't crying over not being able to get their tomato fix

Crewe

"No one us panicking. Its just another stick to beat Brexit with. I'd guess that most people aren't crying over not being able to get their tomato fix "

Hear hear! Far too much whining about a weather-related shortage of out-of-season fruit! Such a challenge! It's overplayed press prattle.

Anyway, I've given up tomatoes and Prime energy drinks for Lent and so far, it's been a piece of piss

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

I think some are missing the point regarding the Brexit references. Each of these small failures reflect the constant weakening of our economy.

The term “Death from a thousand cuts” is very apt.

According to a leading exporter Zeus Farsi Fehri from Morocco stated the easier markets are getting preferential service and no other routes are experiencing shortages like the U.K. That’s from the horses mouth. (Republic of Ireland is due to the U.K transit.)

Think about what I said before. We need to seriously take account of European companies who just can’t be arsed to deal with the U.K due to the extra hassle and costs.

Gloucestershire

Also tomatoes grow in abundance around most sewage treatment plants in the UK and Ireland! People panic over the dumbest shit

So let the British worry about our country, you worry about yours.

It's a public forum so we're free to worry or discuss any country we want! "

Good, you go for it.

Terra Firma

I'm sorry, but I'm not buying this at all. It is simply cheaper and more cost effective to supply mainland Europe with the "limited amount of stock" they have, it is that simple.

Consumers in the "UK will not pay the price of mainland Europe for fruit and veg" so there is no market here when the stocks are low and prices high.

The impact of this shortage is very low, it is not a story until the imaginary tie with Brexit is thrown in mix!

To say it is Brexit is hard to justify when the facts are the fruit and veg stopped arriving when poor yields from rare frosts in North Africa and Southern Spain decimated crops, adding to the issue is production delays in the uk as farmers work to reduce their costs.

If this was brexit it would have happened before now, but how convenient it is to ignore the actual facts and scatter a liberal amount of if's, but's and maybe's, followed by a squeeze of, it is an underlying nearly invisible repercussion of brexit.

I will also repeat, I wanted to remain and would love to turn the clock back, but my god, tenuous links and bitterness is overflowing to the point of blinding many.

Manchester

"I'm sorry, but I'm not buying this at all. It is simply cheaper and more cost effective to supply mainland Europe with the "limited amount of stock" they have, it is that simple.

Consumers in the "UK will not pay the price of mainland Europe for fruit and veg" so there is no market here when the stocks are low and prices high.

The impact of this shortage is very low, it is not a story until the imaginary tie with Brexit is thrown in mix!

To say it is Brexit is hard to justify when the facts are the fruit and veg stopped arriving when poor yields from rare frosts in North Africa and Southern Spain decimated crops, adding to the issue is production delays in the uk as farmers work to reduce their costs.

If this was brexit it would have happened before now, but how convenient it is to ignore the actual facts and scatter a liberal amount of if's, but's and maybe's, followed by a squeeze of, it is an underlying nearly invisible repercussion of brexit.

I will also repeat, I wanted to remain and would love to turn the clock back, but my god, tenuous links and bitterness is overflowing to the point of blinding many."

You’re right this is not started by Brexit but in an indirect way it is.

We did a trade deal with Morocco outside of the EU and the supermarkets in the U.K. always looking for the cheapest sources started getting replacement stock from southern Morocco turning off EU suppliers.

Then when the weather caused a shortage they couldn’t compete for the limited stock in Morocco because the dealers prefer the easier cheaper routes into the EU.

Brexit didn’t start the problem that’s fact. Brexit made the problem worse than it needed to be.

The supermarkets have compounded the problem but will not admit it. Another great trade deal result.

North West

"

It is simply cheaper and more cost effective to supply mainland Europe with the "limited amount of stock" they have, it is that simple. "

And the reason that it is cheaper and more cost-effective to supply the rest of the EU than the U.K. has got nothing whatsoever to do with the added delays, bureaucracy and paperwork that came with Brexit along with the the loss of return leg freight loads because of the drop off in exports from the U.K. to the EU. Right?

Manchester

As a commentator at the economist stated.

“Brexit is a slow puncture on the economy of the UK.”

How very true.

As the air leaks out it becomes more and more difficult to turn that wheel.

Terra Firma

"

It is simply cheaper and more cost effective to supply mainland Europe with the "limited amount of stock" they have, it is that simple.

And the reason that it is cheaper and more cost-effective to supply the rest of the EU than the U.K. has got nothing whatsoever to do with the added delays, bureaucracy and paperwork that came with Brexit along with the the loss of return leg freight loads because of the drop off in exports from the U.K. to the EU. Right?

"

you are missing the reality of the situation by a country mile!

Produce will roll in as it did once the produce is there to supply. Nothing has changed in the last 3 weeks other than the weather and the availability of stock.

Nobody, literally nobody in the media or elsewhere other than a few on this forum are blaming Brexit.

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

"

It is simply cheaper and more cost effective to supply mainland Europe with the "limited amount of stock" they have, it is that simple.

Produce will roll in as it did once the produce is there to supply. Nothing has changed in the last 3 weeks other than the weather and the availability of stock.

Nobody, literally nobody in the media or elsewhere other than a few on this forum are blaming Brexit.

"

I don't understand why you are so emphatic that Brexit has no influence on this at all.

Of course the reduced supply due to weather and energy costs are the root cause, but Brexit is the proximate cause as to why the UK has bigger problems than France and Holland and Belgium.

Moroccan food exports to the UK rose 40% after Brexit. We are more dependent on Moroccan food than we used to be.

However, when it comes down to it, it is easier and cheaper for them to export into the EU with a much larger market.

If supplies are tight, as they are now, when Morocco takes the path of least resistance the food flows to the EU. If we were within the EU it would have included us. It does not.

Do you really believe that Brexit is not a contributory factor at all?

Sainsbury's former CEO seems to think that it is

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-food-supermarkets-ration-b2287198.html

Crewe

"I'm sorry, but I'm not buying this at all. It is simply cheaper and more cost effective to supply mainland Europe with the "limited amount of stock" they have, it is that simple.

I will also repeat, I wanted to remain and would love to turn the clock back, but my god, tenuous links and bitterness is overflowing to the point of blinding many."

What a sensible post, all the more so since it comes from a Remain supporter who has the intelligence to look at this objectively

Or as Jim Royle would say 'Brexit, my arse!'

Crewe

"

"

100%

Just like the semi conductor chip shortage was caused by the pandemic, there was always one remoaner fool down the pub who managed to bung Brexit into the blame blender!

Crewe

"

I don't understand why you are so emphatic that Brexit has no influence on this at all.

Of course the reduced supply due to weather and energy costs are the root cause, but Brexit is the proximate cause as to why the UK has bigger problems than France and Holland and Belgium.

Moroccan food exports to the UK rose 40% after Brexit. We are more dependent on Moroccan food than we used to be.

However, when it comes down to it, it is easier and cheaper for them to export into the EU with a much larger market.

If supplies are tight, as they are now, when Morocco takes the path of least resistance the food flows to the EU. If we were within the EU it would have included us. It does not.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-food-supermarkets-ration-b2287198.html"

Proximate and root cause are the same thing, so as is so often the case, this post makes no sense.

Proximate cause is the main cause having the most significant impact in bringing about the loss, usually in insurance/law. Brexit is definitely not the main cause having the most significant impact in bringing about the loss (shortage).

West London

"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-food-supermarkets-ration-b2287198.html

Proximate and root cause are the same thing, so as is so often the case, this post makes no sense.

Proximate cause is the main cause having the most significant impact in bringing about the loss, usually in insurance/law. Brexit is definitely not the main cause having the most significant impact in bringing about the loss (shortage). "

No, proximate and root causes are not the same thing.

Brexit is the main cause of our specific problem which the EU is not seeing despite the same root cause.

What a dumb thing to pick a fight over after already having it explained to you.

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

The sense I have is that brexit hindered any mitigating actions to a non brexit issue.

Given many leavers trumpet the "world beating (TM) vaccine roll out" as a brexit benefit, despite it having only weak connections to brexit, I feel this is one that they also have to own.

After all, bit the world and brexit is complicated. Very little upside or downside will be 100pc brexit/EU related.

Terra Firma

"The sense I have is that brexit hindered any mitigating actions to a non brexit issue.

Given many leavers trumpet the "world beating (TM) vaccine roll out" as a brexit benefit, despite it having only weak connections to brexit, I feel this is one that they also have to own.

After all, bit the world and brexit is complicated. Very little upside or downside will be 100pc brexit/EU related. "

I think it is time to move on and put brexit to bed, it is what it is and simply blaming everything on a vote that didn't or did go your way is counter productive.

The time has come to look closely at how we as a country manage ourselves, which the country voted for! We need to develop, improve and make better deals and then and only then will we start to see benefits.

Point out where it is broken, and think of a solution is good, however, the effort and change seems too much for some, and throw out childish soundbites at anything they can make brexit related.

I don't understand if these types are getting a buzz out of life by saying I told you so, or if they are very angry people who can't let go.

We need team UK players for success now.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"The sense I have is that brexit hindered any mitigating actions to a non brexit issue.

After all, bit the world and brexit is complicated. Very little upside or downside will be 100pc brexit/EU related.

I think it is time to move on and put brexit to bed, it is what it is and simply blaming everything on a vote that didn't or did go your way is counter productive.

The time has come to look closely at how we as a country manage ourselves, which the country voted for! We need to develop, improve and make better deals and then and only then will we start to see benefits.

Point out where it is broken, and think of a solution is good, however, the effort and change seems too much for some, and throw out childish soundbites at anything they can make brexit related.

I don't understand if these types are getting a buzz out of life by saying I told you so, or if they are very angry people who can't let go.

"

I'm not sure why I've been quoted on this .... But will reply regardless.

Imo it needs both sides to move past the partisan arguments and "winning". And that needs leavers to be able to say where brexit is currently not working. I sense some get the same buzz from reminding everyone they are on the "winning" side as you see in some remainers in "told you so".

Tbh, the EU was such a small part of our lives before and after brexit it's a distraction from what is causing the bulk of the issues. I sense this isntakce has been caused by supermarkets squeezing supplier so hard there is no give for shocks in the system. That's not brexit or the EU but a UK issue. But spending so much time fucking around with brexit is not allowing us to even look at these issues.

Brighton

"

I think for the vast majority of people it isn’t actually “I told you so” or “wah we lost a vote” it is actually the very real damage that has been caused and continues to be caused. Of course not everything going wrong is because we have left the EU, but a lot is and much of the rest is being made worse if not being the direct cause.

I still think telling people telling remainers that it is time to move on because it is what it is, is analogous to domestic abusers saying “I know I hurt you and have left you with some permanent scars, but that has happened now and it is time we moved on and made the best of the situation!”

West London

"

You do not fix or improve anything until you can actually identify the problems, so pretending that there are zero consequences to Brexit is as equally foolish as claiming that every problem is due to Brexit.

It is not possible until we finish negotiating over the starting point of the relationship with the EU.

If the NI Protocol is finally resolved then Brexit can be put to bed.

That allows us to start to discuss what areas of cooperation are possible, such as Horizon research funding, defence etc.

West London

I wonder if the house of commons canteen has got turnips on the menu?

No, but it has a few turncoats! After exhausting himself trying to get commie Corbyn into number 10, slippery Starmer has now abandoned him and his policies, in one of the most breathtaking and shameless u-turns ever seen politically! "

I believe that's what Johnson did to May and Truss and Sunak did to Johnson.

You may need to readjust your perspective.

Terra Firma

You do not fix or improve anything until you can actually identify the problems, so pretending that there are zero consequences to Brexit is as equally foolish as claiming that every problem is due to Brexit.

It is not possible until we finish negotiating over the starting point of the relationship with the EU.

That allows us to start to discuss what areas of cooperation are possible, such as Horizon research funding, defence etc."

You are talking big boy stuff and I agree with what you are saying. I'm talking about a grass roots level the media, political groups and people in general. Time to let go, although I do know I have just thrown 10 seconds and a few pixel's down the drain eve n thinking that we could get to any sort of harmony....

West London

According to the Daily Mail you can get your tomatoes growing from sewage on the beach:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11789799/Struggling-buy-tomatoes-growing-SEWAGE-beach.html

Good to know that Terese Coffey allowing water companies to dump raw sewage into our waterways has been part of a coordinated Government policy...

Terra Firma

"According to the Daily Mail you can get your tomatoes growing from sewage on the beach:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11789799/Struggling-buy-tomatoes-growing-SEWAGE-beach.html

Good to know that Terese Coffey allowing water companies to dump raw sewage into our waterways has been part of a coordinated Government policy..."

Would it be a bad thing if people actually tried to grow whatever foods the could? And before you get down to the point of people visiting sewage on the beach to get their fertiliser, no I don't mean that

"According to the Daily Mail you can get your tomatoes growing from sewage on the beach:

Good to know that Terese Coffey allowing water companies to dump raw sewage into our waterways has been part of a coordinated Government policy..."

They should serve those tomatoes in the House of Commons. No need to wash em.

West London

That allows us to start to discuss what areas of cooperation are possible, such as Horizon research funding, defence etc.

You are talking big boy stuff and I agree with what you are saying. I'm talking about a grass roots level the media, political groups and people in general. Time to let go, although I do know I have just thrown 10 seconds and a few pixel's down the drain eve n thinking that we could get to any sort of harmony.... "

The problem is that those people who having been in control of Government and supposed to be acting like grown-ups have generated much of the individual reactions.

If there had been an acceptance that the referendum was a tight decision and negotiations had been based around that with some attempt to build consensus within the country, then we would not have the rift that we have now.

That is not what happened. The adults did not behave like adults.

Hopefully that is finally changing, but what a waste of time and energy in the meantime!

West London

Good to know that Terese Coffey allowing water companies to dump raw sewage into our waterways has been part of a coordinated Government policy...

Would it be a bad thing if people actually tried to grow whatever foods the could? And before you get down to the point of people visiting sewage on the beach to get their fertiliser, no I don't mean that "

Yes, it would be a retrograde step.

Making do to compensate for circumstances that did not exist before.

Biochemists and automotive engineers should spend their time doing those things and not having to make time in their lives to grow their own vegetables unless they want to.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Would it be a bad thing if people actually tried to grow whatever foods the could? And before you get down to the point of people visiting sewage on the beach to get their fertiliser, no I don't mean that "

Dig for Sovereignty

Would help with climate change too... Albeit our diet may become less varied ...

Terra Firma

Would it be a bad thing if people actually tried to grow whatever foods the could? And before you get down to the point of people visiting sewage on the beach to get their fertiliser, no I don't mean that Dig for Sovereignty

Would help with climate change too... Albeit our diet may become less varied ..."

It does puzzle me how our carbon footprint and climate change takes a back seat when it comes to scoring a political point or wanting out of season foodstuffs all year.

It takes a celebrity chef or two to correct the nations sustainability consciousness

Brighton

Would it be a bad thing if people actually tried to grow whatever foods the could? And before you get down to the point of people visiting sewage on the beach to get their fertiliser, no I don't mean that Dig for Sovereignty

Would help with climate change too... Albeit our diet may become less varied ...

It does puzzle me how our carbon footprint and climate change takes a back seat when it comes to scoring a political point or wanting out of season foodstuffs all year.

It takes a celebrity chef or two to correct the nations sustainability consciousness "

The venn diagrams are not always neat and tidy though

Terra Firma

It takes a celebrity chef or two to correct the nations sustainability consciousness

The venn diagrams are not always neat and tidy though "

I'm thinking they probably resemble doughnuts in this instance

Crewe

"

Proximate cause is the main cause having the most significant impact in bringing about the loss, usually in insurance/law. Brexit is definitely not the main cause having the most significant impact in bringing about the loss (shortage).

Brexit is the main cause of our specific problem which the EU is not seeing despite the same root cause.

What a dumb thing to pick a fight over after already having it explained to you."

You should consult a decent dictionary! You'll see you've effectively said that Brexit is the event which is closest to, or immediately responsible for causing, some observed result - the tomato shortage!

I'll leave others to conclude how dumb that view is. But hey, you're a remoaner so you've a book of them.

West London

"

What a dumb thing to pick a fight over after already having it explained to you.

You should consult a decent dictionary! You'll see you've effectively said that Brexit is the event which is closest to, or immediately responsible for causing, some observed result - the tomato shortage!

I'll leave others to conclude how dumb that view is. But hey, you're a remoaner so you've a book of them. "

The observed result is the UK suffering a shortage of certain vegetables.

The EU is not seeing the same shortage.

Both the EU and the UK are victims to weather conditions and energy prices reducing supply.

Do explain why the outcomes are different, if you can.

By *rLibertineMan  over a year ago

North Suffolk

I mean seriously what the F… would Justin King know about the importation of fresh product by the supermarkets…….

oh yes he was the boss of sainsbury’s…

Bexley

Someone please whop this one up to 175, it's becoming boring.

Unfortunately it keeps coming up with a recent post on my list of topics I have posted to!

» Add a new message to this topic