FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > New ban on prepayment meters.

New ban on prepayment meters.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ove2pleaseseuk OP   Man  over a year ago

Hastings

I don't think they should be more expensive. But if energy providers cannot install them sum will just let debt run up.

Sum will look at CCJ to get what they can or I guess cutting off supply.

OFGEM are looking at raising the cap so we all pay more so company's don't lose out.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *exy_HornyCouple  over a year ago

Leigh

Why should those of us who pay our bills subsidise those who don't?

This will be the inevitable consequence of banning pre-payment meters.

By *uddy laneMan  over a year ago

dudley

"Why should those of us who pay our bills subsidise those who don't?

This will be the inevitable consequence of banning pre-payment meters."

People who pre pay for their energy can not get into debt, were people who pay quarterly pay after they have used it and can get into debt. So it will be pre pay customers who can not get into energy debt subbing non pre pay customers who can get into debt.

Hastings

People who pre pay for their energy can not get into debt, were people who pay quarterly pay after they have used it and can get into debt. So it will be pre pay customers who can not get into energy debt subbing non pre pay customers who can get into debt. "

But with the new ban of installation of pre payment meters for the over 85 and anyone with certen conditions. It will be up to the rest to pick up the cost.

Hence OFGEM are looking at rasing the price cap just as the wholesale prise is falling.

By *uddy laneMan  over a year ago

dudley

People who pre pay for their energy can not get into debt, were people who pay quarterly pay after they have used it and can get into debt. So it will be pre pay customers who can not get into energy debt subbing non pre pay customers who can get into debt.

But with the new ban of installation of pre payment meters for the over 85 and anyone with certen conditions. It will be up to the rest to pick up the cost.

Hence OFGEM are looking at rasing the price cap just as the wholesale prise is falling. "

The solution is to implement pre pay for everyone. That would stop energy debt straight away.

Leigh

Hence OFGEM are looking at rasing the price cap just as the wholesale prise is falling.

The solution is to implement pre pay for everyone. That would stop energy debt straight away."

Isn't that pretty much what all energy companies insist on for their direct debit customers?

They split the annual estimated bill into 12 equal installments so if you start paying in the spring you build up substantial credit, effectively pre paying hundreds of pounds towards the winter.

Hastings

The solution is to implement pre pay for everyone. That would stop energy debt straight away.

Isn't that pretty much what all energy companies insist on for their direct debit customers?

They split the annual estimated bill into 12 equal installments so if you start paying in the spring you build up substantial credit, effectively pre paying hundreds of pounds towards the winter."

Yep we are generally always in credit but we do get it cheaper then prepayment meter users

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Cebu City

If I was struggling on low pay with kids , because of bad government, I wouldn’t be the slightest concerned about paying the gas bills or that wealthier people pay more.

As always you deflect the problem to the poorest / most innocent

Leigh

"If I was struggling on low pay with kids , because of bad government, I wouldn’t be the slightest concerned about paying the gas bills or that wealthier people pay more.

As always you deflect the problem to the poorest / most innocent "

Having children requires a big investment in time and money.

If you can't afford them, don't have them.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Cebu City

"If I was struggling on low pay with kids , because of bad government, I wouldn’t be the slightest concerned about paying the gas bills or that wealthier people pay more.

If you can't afford them, don't have them."

What if your circumstances change ? You can’t just put them back where they came from.

With attitudes like that , UK gets exactly what it deserves from Tories, bojo etc no wonder your country is so shit these days

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

If you can't afford them, don't have them.

What if your circumstances change ? You can’t just put them back where they came from.

With attitudes like that , UK gets exactly what it deserves from Tories, bojo etc no wonder your country is so shit these days "

Well said

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Let's hope you don't fall on hard times.

What an attitude towards poorer people you have.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

Wow judgmental much... It does not take much to change circumstances

Hastings

Have to say I'm with you I made a choice with my wife that we did not want any due to cost and other factors. Lots of people are now having 3 or more then complain about the cost.

By *ornucopiaMan  over a year ago

Bexley

"

They split the annual estimated bill into 12 equal installments so if you start paying in the spring you build up substantial credit, effectively pre paying hundreds of pounds towards the winter."

Is that not a very crafty ruse being perpetrated on the direct debit customers?

Because they know that they are in credit all the time, they are far less likely to rebel against the prices because they know that they have enough balance to cushion the rises.

I have actually heard numerous people saying precisely that without realising that they have been duped into that way of thinking.

Are any of you forumites thinking that way?

I'm not because I still pay quarterly in arrears (probably at a more punitive rate, however).

Hastings

"

They split the annual estimated bill into 12 equal installments so if you start paying in the spring you build up substantial credit, effectively pre paying hundreds of pounds towards the winter.

Because they know that they are in credit all the time, they are far less likely to rebel against the prices because they know that they have enough balance to cushion the rises.

I have actually heard numerous people saying precisely that without realising that they have been duped into that way of thinking.

I'm not because I still pay quarterly in arrears (probably at a more punitive rate, however)."

No just think its an easy ballance pay more in summer get in front then when winter hits you don't worry. Now if you ask is good for the planet and global warming he'll NO as when the clold it's your in so much credit it not a problem to have heating on for longer.

By *nliveneTV/TS  over a year ago

Selby

This is just to help more the greedy energy companies.

For someone who lives alone, pay house rent , council tax , water , food , car costs etc et , all on its own is almost impossible to add one more bill for 12 months period .

For eople who live alone and their wages is between £1600 to 1800 a month they will have their life more difficult then already is

Bexley

"

I'm not because I still pay quarterly in arrears (probably at a more punitive rate, however).

No just think its an easy ballance pay more in summer get in front then when winter hits you don't worry.

..."

In a way you are reinforcing my point.

The energy companies are more likely to get away with price rises if people feel that having an excess in their account will cushion the blow.

If the ability to pay is always stretched and people don't ever find themselves in credit, then customer rebellion is more of a reality.

To avoid this happening, the companies are deliberately over billing direct debit customers in order to create the illusion of cushioning.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan  over a year ago

Gilfach

"If the ability to pay is always stretched and people don't ever find themselves in credit, then customer rebellion is more of a reality.

To avoid this happening, the companies are deliberately over billing direct debit customers in order to create the illusion of cushioning."

It seems to be that it's much simpler than that. If they over-charge you, they have some of your money in their bank. Do that to enough people, and you have a fund that you can invest to earn yourself some free money.

Bexley

"If the ability to pay is always stretched and people don't ever find themselves in credit, then customer rebellion is more of a reality.

To avoid this happening, the companies are deliberately over billing direct debit customers in order to create the illusion of cushioning.

It seems to be that it's much simpler than that. If they over-charge you, they have some of your money in their bank. Do that to enough people, and you have a fund that you can invest to earn yourself some free money."

Exactly. They win twice over!

» Add a new message to this topic