FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > France delays French language test

France delays French language test

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *deepdive OP   Man  over a year ago

France / Birmingham

for immigrants.

France, and in particular, the French Nationalists want to introduce French language tests for certain types of residency cards. Cards such as a 5 and 10 year residency permit.

This was strongly championed by the hardline interior minister Gérald Darmanin, the first debates on the bill have been delayed until at least the autumn, with the Prime Minister judging it too divisive.

Is there a requirement for immigrants coming into the UK and seeking temporary residency cards to sit an English language test?

To gain French nationality, a level of spoken and written French is mandatory and a certificate to prove you have attained this must be provided amongst other documentation.

The UK does something similar but what happens to immigrants who do not want to residency but still want a short term (5 year or more) residency permit?

In my opinion, if someone wants to live (and perhaps work) in another country and intends to apply for a residency card, they should be able to speak and understand the language (to a minimum level).

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *astandFeistyCouple  over a year ago

Bournemouth

In France this would only be applicable to people from outside the EU.

An Italian can easily move to France with no questions asked whether they speak the language or not.

France / Birmingham

"In France this would only be applicable to people from outside the EU.

An Italian can easily move to France with no questions asked whether they speak the language or not. "

Good point!

By *ichard574Man  over a year ago

West of Dfs

"

In my opinion, if someone wants to live (and perhaps work) in another country and intends to apply for a residency card, they should be able to speak and understand the language (to a minimum level).

"

Would you allow people born in the uk who lack the same level of language competence to stay, or should they be deported? If so, to where? And if not, why not? Or should we make exceptions for proper Brutish people but not foreigners?

We're all temporary visitors: it's just that some of us move a little faster more slowly than others.

By *ornLordMan  over a year ago

Wiltshire and London

Brutish. Never was a typo more apposite.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

We often sneer at the archetypal English person who goes to live in Spain, and wanders around in a football shirt, refuses to learn any Spanish for twenty years, and only eats British food. Sneering at them helps to establish our own social status.

If someone comes to the UK and does the opposite in reverse, refuses to learn English for decades, continues wearing their traditional clothing, and eats only their own traditional food, we praise the behaviour, call it multiculturalism, and our tolerance and "openness" helps to cement our social status.

Personally I like not being able to understand what people serving me, or trying to give me medical care, are saying, and having to resort to pointing and shouting like when I'm overseas.

It's like getting a genuine vacation experience without having to spend so much.

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"We often sneer at the archetypal English person who goes to live in Spain, and wanders around in a football shirt, refuses to learn any Spanish for twenty years, and only eats British food. Sneering at them helps to establish our own social status.

If someone comes to the UK and does the opposite in reverse, refuses to learn English for decades, continues wearing their traditional clothing, and eats only their own traditional food, we praise the behaviour, call it multiculturalism, and our tolerance and "openness" helps to cement our social status.

Personally I like not being able to understand what people serving me, or trying to give me medical care, are saying, and having to resort to pointing and shouting like when I'm overseas.

It's like getting a genuine vacation experience without having to spend so much."

having just come back from Solihull, I totally get what you are saying. Couldn't understand a word most were saying.

(I will leave the punchline unwritten).

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

"We often sneer at the archetypal English person who goes to live in Spain, and wanders around in a football shirt, refuses to learn any Spanish for twenty years, and only eats British food. Sneering at them helps to establish our own social status.

It's like getting a genuine vacation experience without having to spend so much."

The problem is that the archetype you describe cannot see the irony as inevitably they are the ones complaining about foreigners not integrating in the UK. Many are complete hypocrites. Many British immigrants living on the Costas also voted for Brexit then complained when that impacted on their ability to live on the Costas.

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle under Lyme

Whatever the French people decide is up to them. As far as we know, unlike the UK, French government and councils doesn't translate their offical forms into lots of different languages. Can't really encourage integration when folk can't speak the language.

By *ornucopiaMan  over a year ago

Bexley

About time France got to grips with using English on the same level as most other go-ahead countries

France / Birmingham

"About time France got to grips with using English on the same level as most other go-ahead countries"

Why?

By *ornucopiaMan  over a year ago

Bexley

"About time France got to grips with using English on the same level as most other go-ahead countries

Why?"

Because the sooner the entire world speaks one main language, the better and simpler life will become.

"About time France got to grips with using English on the same level as most other go-ahead countries

Why?

Because the sooner the entire world speaks one main language, the better and simpler life will become."

Plus the pure clarity of English sees it as the international language of air travel and big business.

France / Birmingham

Why?

Because the sooner the entire world speaks one main language, the better and simpler life will become."

That may well be the case but it won't happen and, even if it did, English is not the predominant language so why choose it?

..apart to appease the English!

France has every right to insist that people speak French and to try to hang onto French culture.

There is no reason to have documents translated into multiple languages - if people want to live there and integrate, they need to learn French!

Why?

Because the sooner the entire world speaks one main language, the better and simpler life will become.

That may well be the case but it won't happen and, even if it did, English is not the predominant language so why choose it?

France has every right to insist that people speak French and to try to hang onto French culture.

There is no reason to have documents translated into multiple languages - if people want to live there and integrate, they need to learn French!

"

So, just what is the "predominant language"..?

Genuinely interested.....

France / Birmingham

Why?

Genuinely interested..... "

According to a quick search on Google...

Chinese

Spanish then English

I am sure that you can also check this and perhaps find other sources but ..you did ask.

Anyway, back to the subject in hand.

France has, in my opinion, every right to expect people who want to live and settle there, to speak and understand French to a level where they can get by.

I would really expect every country to ask the same of someone wanting to settle there.

Why?

Chinese

Spanish then English

I am sure that you can also check this and perhaps find other sources but ..you did ask.

France has, in my opinion, every right to expect people who want to live and settle there, to speak and understand French to a level where they can get by.

I would really expect every country to ask the same of someone wanting to settle there."

Yes, I did ask and thank you.

Bournemouth

Why?

Chinese

Spanish then English

I would really expect every country to ask the same of someone wanting to settle there."

English is by far the world's most common language:

1. English 1.45 B

2. Mandarin 1.12 B

3. Hindi 602 M

4. Spanish 548 M

5. French 274 M

6. Arabic 274 M

7. Bengali 273 M

8. Russian 258 M

9. Portuguese 257 M

10. Urdu 231 M

France / Birmingham

"

1. English 1.45 B

2. Mandarin 1.12 B

3. Hindi 602 M

4. Spanish 548 M

5. French 274 M

6. Arabic 274 M

7. Bengali 273 M

8. Russian 258 M

9. Portuguese 257 M

10. Urdu 231 M"

Thank you for that information.

According to Babel

Top 10 Languages By Number Of Native Speakers is Chinese then Spanish then English.

Top 10 Languages By Total Number Of Speakers is indeed English.

Now that we have (hopefully settled that can we get back to the actual thread and if a discussion is required about what is the predominant language is required, start a new thread to discuss this?).

Thank you

Bournemouth

"

1. English 1.45 B

2. Mandarin 1.12 B

3. Hindi 602 M

4. Spanish 548 M

5. French 274 M

6. Arabic 274 M

7. Bengali 273 M

8. Russian 258 M

9. Portuguese 257 M

10. Urdu 231 M

Thank you for that information.

According to Babel

Top 10 Languages By Number Of Native Speakers is Chinese then Spanish then English.

Top 10 Languages By Total Number Of Speakers is indeed English.

Now that we have (hopefully settled that can we get back to the actual thread and if a discussion is required about what is the predominant language is required, start a new thread to discuss this?).

Thank you

"

You're welcome.

Now back to the topic, if France have 'every right' as you put it, what is their plan for EU nationals as I pointed out earlier in the thread.

By *exy_HornyCouple  over a year ago

Leigh

"for immigrants.

France, and in particular, the French Nationalists want to introduce French language tests for certain types of residency cards. Cards such as a 5 and 10 year residency permit.

This was strongly championed by the hardline interior minister Gérald Darmanin, the first debates on the bill have been delayed until at least the autumn, with the Prime Minister judging it too divisive.

Is there a requirement for immigrants coming into the UK and seeking temporary residency cards to sit an English language test?

To gain French nationality, a level of spoken and written French is mandatory and a certificate to prove you have attained this must be provided amongst other documentation.

The UK does something similar but what happens to immigrants who do not want to residency but still want a short term (5 year or more) residency permit?

"

We would like to live in France. If we do so, we expect to speak French for every interaction with French people (whether social or official). As such, we are expending considerable energy improving our language skills even though it will be years before we move there full time.

England should be the same. If you live here you should be able to speak the language. Translating leaflets on how to claim benefits etc. into multiple languages is madness.

By *an1978Woman  over a year ago

GONE/TIMEOUT (No DMs please)

[Removed by poster at 30/04/23 16:37:53]

By *an1978Woman  over a year ago

GONE/TIMEOUT (No DMs please)

I am with France on this one.

I have zero desire to visit there, but would be able to order food and drink, ask for directions, explain what pets and siblings I have and tell a doctor which body part hurts .. thanks to 1990s school French

I couldn't live and work there as I don't have the required standard of French.

(I'm in Mid/North Wales.

We have Afghan, Syrian, Iranian, Ukrainian refugees and migrants, thar have not only learned English, but many have also learned Welsh in the community.)

» Add a new message to this topic