FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Public Order Bill

Public Order Bill

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *irldn OP   Couple 43 weeks ago

Brighton

Interesting nugget this morning...

Baroness Jones has tabled a rare "fatal motion" to stop a Tory amendment to Public Order Bill.

Tories are changing ‘serious disruption’ of other people’s day-to-day activities to mean ‘anything more than minor’.

Lords opposed it. Tories using secondary legislation to get it back in without change.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *astandFeistyCouple 43 weeks ago

Bournemouth

Where are you seeing this info?

By *orleymanMan 43 weeks ago

Leeds

"Where are you seeing this info? "

Green party tabled the motion.

Will be quite interesting to see how it develops constitutionally.

By *astandFeistyCouple 43 weeks ago

Bournemouth

"Where are you seeing this info?

"

I see it now. No one is reporting it.

Leeds

"Where are you seeing this info?

I see it now. No one is reporting it."

Yeah seems it's the green party reporting it themselves and some people on twitter tweeting about it.

Maybe hoping to generate some publicity.

By *otMe66Man 43 weeks ago

Terra Firma

What does the term mean, "anything more than minor"?

Brighton

The key thing (regardless of who raised it or who reported it) is that the Govt are trying to use secondary legislation to reverse amendments required by the HoL. The Govt want the wording to return to being more vague and open to interpretation. I think it is right to challenge that. The police need specificity to execute their duties correctly.

Brighton

"What does the term mean, "anything more than minor"?

"

Nobody can answer that without a clear definition of what constitutes “minor”. It is a mess!

By *otMe66Man 43 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"What does the term mean, "anything more than minor"?

Nobody can answer that without a clear definition of what constitutes “minor”. It is a mess!"

are by way of physical obstruction prevented, or hindered to more than a minor degree, from carrying out—

(i)their day-to-day activities (including in particular the making of a journey),

(ii)construction or maintenance works, or

(iii)activities related to such works,

(b)are prevented from making or receiving, or suffer a delay that is more than minor to the making or receiving of, a delivery of a time-sensitive product, or

(c)are prevented from accessing, or suffer a disruption that is more than minor to the accessing of, any essential goods or any essential service.

By *wisted999Man 43 weeks ago

North Bucks

Looks like a little tweak to stop people slow walking in the road.

Leeds

"The key thing (regardless of who raised it or who reported it) is that the Govt are trying to use secondary legislation to reverse amendments required by the HoL. The Govt want the wording to return to being more vague and open to interpretation. I think it is right to challenge that. The police need specificity to execute their duties correctly. "

They aren't ammendments required by the house of Lords they are suggestions. The gov can send it back through parliament should it wish. But it creates the Salisbury issue.

By *eroy1000Man 43 weeks ago

milton keynes

"The key thing (regardless of who raised it or who reported it) is that the Govt are trying to use secondary legislation to reverse amendments required by the HoL. The Govt want the wording to return to being more vague and open to interpretation. I think it is right to challenge that. The police need specificity to execute their duties correctly.

They aren't ammendments required by the house of Lords they are suggestions. The gov can send it back through parliament should it wish. But it creates the Salisbury issue."

I don't know if the amendments are good or bad but either way isn't the HOC supposed to be the last word on any law and have the right to dismiss the HOL suggestions if they want to as they are elected. I know it's preferable to have both houses pass it. Not sure what the Salisbury issue is. I assume something connected to the HOC overruling the HOL

By *icolerobbieCouple 42 weeks ago

walsall

Well the just stop oil motions are giving the government all the ammunition that they need to get normal working class people to think that their proposals are a good idea.

Makes you wonder if these protests actually are of good use to some folk.

By *irldn OP   Couple 42 weeks ago

Brighton

"Well the just stop oil motions are giving the government all the ammunition that they need to get normal working class people to think that their proposals are a good idea.

Makes you wonder if these protests actually are of good use to some folk."

Agent Provocateurs?

» Add a new message to this topic