FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > DESPITE....

DESPITE....

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *orleyman OP   Man 45 weeks ago

Leeds

London is beating away the dire warnings that Brexit would knock it off its perch as Europe’s top finance hive and is even drawing in more investors amid high inflation and interest rates, a new report out today unveils.

Foreign investors pumped cash into 46 financial services projects in the capital last year, up from 39 in 2021, according to research by consultancy EY.

That rise pulled the Square Mile away from its continental rivals. Paris drew in outside investment for 35 finance proposals, down from 38, while Madrid generated 22 foreign investment projects in 2022 compared to 29 in 2021. Milan came fourth in EY’s rankings.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *eroy1000Man 45 weeks ago

milton keynes

"London is beating away the dire warnings that Brexit would knock it off its perch as Europe’s top finance hive and is even drawing in more investors amid high inflation and interest rates, a new report out today unveils.

Foreign investors pumped cash into 46 financial services projects in the capital last year, up from 39 in 2021, according to research by consultancy EY.

That rise pulled the Square Mile away from its continental rivals. Paris drew in outside investment for 35 finance proposals, down from 38, while Madrid generated 22 foreign investment projects in 2022 compared to 29 in 2021. Milan came fourth in EY’s rankings.

"

I did see this and thought it was good news, especially as it's sometimes said investment in this country bad. However, they say the amount of projects but not the value. 46 small projects, although welcome, might be worth less than 10 big projects. I could not see the value on the BBC report.

What I did see today though is walkers are investing in their place in Leicester as they will be moving the production of certain products from Europe to the UK

Leeds

"London is beating away the dire warnings that Brexit would knock it off its perch as Europe’s top finance hive and is even drawing in more investors amid high inflation and interest rates, a new report out today unveils.

I did see this and thought it was good news, especially as it's sometimes said investment in this country bad. However, they say the amount of projects but not the value. 46 small projects, although welcome, might be worth less than 10 big projects. I could not see the value on the BBC report.

What I did see today though is walkers are investing in their place in Leicester as they will be moving the production of certain products from Europe to the UK"

You can guarantee had the uk gone down in thatblist. The discussion would jave had 30 replies taong glee out of it.

Sadly we've become used to people only replying on the perceived negatives

milton keynes

What I did see today though is walkers are investing in their place in Leicester as they will be moving the production of certain products from Europe to the UK

You can guarantee had the uk gone down in thatblist. The discussion would jave had 30 replies taong glee out of it.

Sadly we've become used to people only replying on the perceived negatives "

That's probably very true, I was just curious if you had seen a more in depth report than the BBC. As well as the Walkers investment in the UK decision and more in line with the city theme, I see the boss of a company called We Soda is very happy to be listing in London. I guess this is one of the projects

By *AFKA HovisMan 45 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Tis good news. Shame we are going backwards in other areas.

Leeds

"Tis good news. Shame we are going backwards in other areas. "

Like where?

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Tis good news. Shame we are going backwards in other areas.

Like where?"

overall FDI is down.

From ey report last month

The UK recorded 929 Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) projects in 2022, down 6.4% from 993 in 2021 – France continued to lead Europe with Germany ranked third

Total FDI projects in Europe were up just 1.4% in 2022 – with the UK’s share of the European inward investment market down to 15.6% from 16.9% in 2021

By *otMe66Man 45 weeks ago

Terra Firma

Like where?overall FDI is down.

The UK recorded 929 Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) projects in 2022, down 6.4% from 993 in 2021 – France continued to lead Europe with Germany ranked third

Total FDI projects in Europe were up just 1.4% in 2022 – with the UK’s share of the European inward investment market down to 15.6% from 16.9% in 2021"

I take a good news story out of that, reading the brexit doomsday posts here I was expecting the UK to be dead last.

Leeds

Total FDI projects in Europe were up just 1.4% in 2022 – with the UK’s share of the European inward investment market down to 15.6% from 16.9% in 2021"

Despite a decline in overall project numbers, the UK continues to perform well on the value of projects it attracts, particularly with regards to job creation. For projects where expected job totals were reported, the UK led Europe on total jobs (47,000), ahead of Spain (39,000) and France (38,000). For the third year running, the UK (59) outperformed Germany (58) and France (33) on jobs per project. The UK also has a clear lead on large employment projects, with 103 projects that were expected to create over 100 jobs – a figure that falls to 89 projects in France, 62 in Spain and 48 in Germany.

New’ projects – as opposed to re-investments or extensions – are one way of assessing a country’s investment dynamism and ability to attract fresh investors, and the UK has retained its position as Europe’s leading country for new projects for a second year in a row. Of the UK’s 929 total projects in 2022, 646 were new. This was down 15.4% from 2021’s 764 new projects, although total European new projects were also down, by 8.5%. The UK’s 18.7% share of the new project market in 2022 was down slightly from its 20.3% share in 2021.

Guess this was left out by mistake.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Total FDI projects in Europe were up just 1.4% in 2022 – with the UK’s share of the European inward investment market down to 15.6% from 16.9% in 2021

Despite a decline in overall project numbers, the UK continues to perform well on the value of projects it attracts, particularly with regards to job creation. For projects where expected job totals were reported, the UK led Europe on total jobs (47,000), ahead of Spain (39,000) and France (38,000). For the third year running, the UK (59) outperformed Germany (58) and France (33) on jobs per project. The UK also has a clear lead on large employment projects, with 103 projects that were expected to create over 100 jobs – a figure that falls to 89 projects in France, 62 in Spain and 48 in Germany.

New’ projects – as opposed to re-investments or extensions – are one way of assessing a country’s investment dynamism and ability to attract fresh investors, and the UK has retained its position as Europe’s leading country for new projects for a second year in a row. Of the UK’s 929 total projects in 2022, 646 were new. This was down 15.4% from 2021’s 764 new projects, although total European new projects were also down, by 8.5%. The UK’s 18.7% share of the new project market in 2022 was down slightly from its 20.3% share in 2021.

Guess this was left out by mistake."

not at all. I was using the same metrics as the original post. If that was good news, then overall is bad news.

Your addition shows there are many angles to look at before deciding if news is good or not.

Is it projects, new projects, or jobs? Or some balanced score card?

By *asyukMan 45 weeks ago

West London

"

That sounds good. Somewhat emotive and artificially enthusiastic language, so I assume from an unattributed post or news article.

What are the "finance projects" being invested into? Difficult to know if this is Brexit related in any way. You may not be aware, but some things are independent of Brexit.

The UK is unfortunately a soft touch for money laundering, so who's investing and in what? There are a lot of wealthy Russians and Chinese trying to relocate money for "various reasons", I believe.

On the whole, more money into the UK economy is a good thing though.

West London

What I did see today though is walkers are investing in their place in Leicester as they will be moving the production of certain products from Europe to the UK"

I don't believe that Walker's are sold outside the UK. That implies that they are onshoring because it has become cheaper and/or less risky to serve our limited market with local production.

Certainly good from the perspective of investment and jobs here. Does the equipment end up being bought from domestic or foreign suppliers. Does it mean prices of crips come down?

I'm sure this will be characterised as "negative" because there seems to be a deep need to label without addressing the actual points raised.

Worth considering the complexity and reality of any headline.

By *astandFeistyCouple 45 weeks ago

Bournemouth

I don't believe that Walker's are sold outside the UK. That implies that they are onshoring because it has become cheaper and/or less risky to serve our limited market with local production.

Certainly good from the perspective of investment and jobs here. Does the equipment end up being bought from domestic or foreign suppliers. Does it mean prices of crips come down?

I'm sure this will be characterised as "negative" because there seems to be a deep need to label without addressing the actual points raised.

Worth considering the complexity and reality of any headline."

PepsiCo own Walkers and their crisps are sold worldwide under different brands, manufactured worldwide too.

West London

PepsiCo own Walkers and their crisps are sold worldwide under different brands, manufactured worldwide too."

I misunderstood the investment. It's not a transfer of production from the EU. Always made here. It is increasing domestic production and upgrading the factory to increase efficiency.

Wotsits, more Monster Munch and new "healthy" snacks for the UK.

UK investment for a domestic product, which seems sensible. The fact that it's owned by PepsiCo who sells other things in other places isn't relevant.

West London

PepsiCo own Walkers and their crisps are sold worldwide under different brands, manufactured worldwide too.

I misunderstood the investment. It's not a transfer of production from the EU. Always made here. It is increasing domestic production and upgrading the factory to increase efficiency.

UK investment for a domestic product, which seems sensible. The fact that it's owned by PepsiCo who sells other things in other places isn't relevant."

Oh no. My mistake. Original thought was correct. Onshoring to sell in the UK only.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-65779940.amp

Bournemouth

UK investment for a domestic product, which seems sensible. The fact that it's owned by PepsiCo who sells other things in other places isn't relevant."

I was specifically speaking of crisps, not 'other things'. 'Walkers crisps' are sold elsewhere branded as Lays but likely manufactured elsewhere too.

Regardless of the reason, surely its a good thing for our economy that PepsiCo have decided to move some production from elsewhere to the UK.

Terra Firma

UK investment for a domestic product, which seems sensible. The fact that it's owned by PepsiCo who sells other things in other places isn't relevant.

I was specifically speaking of crisps, not 'other things'. 'Walkers crisps' are sold elsewhere branded as Lays but likely manufactured elsewhere too.

Regardless of the reason, surely its a good thing for our economy that PepsiCo have decided to move some production from elsewhere to the UK. "

I'm keen to see the responses to this and how it will be twisted to be a nothing important deal and if it wasn't for brexit the investment would have been 10x bigger.

Leeds

That sounds good. Somewhat emotive and artificially enthusiastic language, so I assume from an unattributed post or news article.

What are the "finance projects" being invested into? Difficult to know if this is Brexit related in any way. You may not be aware, but some things are independent of Brexit.

The UK is unfortunately a soft touch for money laundering, so who's investing and in what? There are a lot of wealthy Russians and Chinese trying to relocate money for "various reasons", I believe.

On the whole, more money into the UK economy is a good thing though."

Its city am

Uk eoft touch on money laundering...based on what sorry

Is this more rhetoric..another unsubstantiated claim with no evidence.

Nothing new from you there i suppose.

Leeds

Worth considering the complexity and reality of any headline."

Jesus christ. Talk about a myopic uninformed view

West London

Regardless of the reason, surely its a good thing for our economy that PepsiCo have decided to move some production from elsewhere to the UK. "

I said that it was a good thing, so a non-argument.

The investment does not seem to be to export. It is to just service the UK market.

They are moving production of Walkers (UK) products, not shutting down or reducing output from the EU factories.

So, Brutish crisps for British buyers. Lower risk/admin/cost supply chains, as I said.

West London

Regardless of the reason, surely its a good thing for our economy that PepsiCo have decided to move some production from elsewhere to the UK.

I'm keen to see the responses to this and how it will be twisted to be a nothing important deal and if it wasn't for brexit the investment would have been 10x bigger.

"

It didn't need a "response" as I already said that it was a good thing.

Can you explain how that is "twisted"?

It seems like a perfectly sensible business decision based on the current circumstances.

I still don't know if that means we get cheaper crisps which would benefit the consumer. What do you think?

Leeds

Oh no. My mistake. Original thought was correct. Onshoring to sell in the UK only.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-65779940.amp"

Sorry what do you believe is the onshoring?

West London

Its city am

Nothing new from you there i suppose."

I'm not even saying that this is where this money has come from. I asked what these projects were. However, you seem a little naive about this, especially as I thought you were an expert on all things financial?

The Economist

Why Oligarchs choose London for their dirty money

https://youtu.be/IcT-byRlKrY

INSTITUTE OF CHARTERED ACCOUNTANTS IN ENGLAND AND WALES

"Londongrad: how the City became a money-laundering haven"

"Which key factors have conspired to make the UK capital synonymous with financial crime? Insights outlines the root causes, and ICAEW’s Michelle Giddings highlights emerging vulnerabilities."

West London

Sorry what do you believe is the onshoring?"

"Some of its crisps - such as Wotsits Giants and Monster Munch Giants, which are currently manufactured in Europe, will be made in Leicester once construction is completed in 2024."

That is pretty much the definition of onshoring. Made locally rather than abroad.

Again, I don't know if that makes them cheaper for the consumer or just better for the manufacturer.

Bournemouth

"Some of its crisps - such as Wotsits Giants and Monster Munch Giants, which are currently manufactured in Europe, will be made in Leicester once construction is completed in 2024."

That is pretty much the definition of onshoring. Made locally rather than abroad.

Again, I don't know if that makes them cheaper for the consumer or just better for the manufacturer."

Does it really matter if it makes them cheaper for the consumer? You seem to be clinging onto this but I can't imagine why.

Leeds

Its city am

Nothing new from you there i suppose.

I'm not even saying that this is where this money has come from. I asked what these projects were. However, you seem a little naive about this, especially as I thought you were an expert on all things financial?

The Economist

Why Oligarchs choose London for their dirty money

https://youtu.be/IcT-byRlKrY

INSTITUTE OF CHARTERED ACCOUNTANTS IN ENGLAND AND WALES

"Londongrad: how the City became a money-laundering haven"

"Which key factors have conspired to make the UK capital synonymous with financial crime? Insights outlines the root causes, and ICAEW’s Michelle Giddings highlights emerging vulnerabilities.""

Please some quantifiable evidence.

Leeds

Again, I don't know if that makes them cheaper for the consumer or just better for the manufacturer."

What about that is onshoring sorry?

Some of its crisps.

It lists those the consumers recognise.

Like saying walkers. Then not understanding lays being the same thing.

You're saying they won't export? Seems a lot of assumptions going on today from you easy.

West London

Again, I don't know if that makes them cheaper for the consumer or just better for the manufacturer.

Does it really matter if it makes them cheaper for the consumer? You seem to be clinging onto this but I can't imagine why."

I understand that you are disappointed that I have said that the factory investment here was a good thing, so you couldn't label me as negative.

I'm not "clinging" on to the price to the consumer, or where the hardware may be purchased from. I was making a point about the complexity behind the headline.

Is there complexity behind the headline as to who ultimately benefits from the investment?

Bournemouth

Does it really matter if it makes them cheaper for the consumer? You seem to be clinging onto this but I can't imagine why.

I understand that you are disappointed that I have said that the factory investment here was a good thing, so you couldn't label me as negative.

I'm not "clinging" on to the price to the consumer, or where the hardware may be purchased from. I was making a point about the complexity behind the headline.

Is there complexity behind the headline as to who ultimately benefits from the investment?"

You clearly don't understand so you can lose the condescending tone.

I'm in no way disappointed.

You've mentioned a few times now that you're not sure if it will make the product cheaper. Why does it matter?

Terra Firma

It seems like a perfectly sensible business decision based on the current circumstances.

I still don't know if that means we get cheaper crisps which would benefit the consumer. What do you think?"

Moving manufacturing from the EU to produce more of the product range in the UK is a significant investment and a vote of confidence in the UK as a whole. I expect the the raw ingredients to be sourced in the UK, an increase in UK logistics and an increase in staff.

Will the end product be cheaper? I wouldn't expect it to be as the investment needs to have a return and the products are low cost high quantity, cutting the cost would barely be noticed.

West London

Some of its crisps.

You're saying they won't export? Seems a lot of assumptions going on today from you easy.

"

I'm mystified why you might think that moving the production of products for UK consumption from the EU to the UK is a bad thing and why you do not think that is onshoring.

I'm sure that you can explain it to your own satisfaction, somehow. However, you do always seem to end up debating the meaning of individual words.

I'm sure that Walkers crisps "can" be exported anywhere that anyone might wish. So?

West London

Is there complexity behind the headline as to who ultimately benefits from the investment?

You've mentioned a few times now that you're not sure if it will make the product cheaper. Why does it matter?"

I clearly don't understand. Can you rephrase the question if you have one?

It matters because it will be a benefit to the consumer.

That used to be considered a good thing. Is it not preferable to crisps being more expensive to buy?

Will it be better if the capital equipment in the factory was UK built or comes from abroad?

Again, is there complexity behind the headline as to who ultimately benefits from the investment?

Bournemouth

You've mentioned a few times now that you're not sure if it will make the product cheaper. Why does it matter?

That used to be considered a good thing. Is it not preferable to crisps being more expensive to buy?

Will it be better if the capital equipment in the factory was UK built or comes from abroad?

Again, is there complexity behind the headline as to who ultimately benefits from the investment?"

I don't need to rephrase the question, you've now understood and answered it.

The consumer doesn't always need to benefit. There are obviously numerous benefits to investment though.

Why does it need to be preferable to a more expensive product, there is no indication that there will be price increases because of this move. You've made that part up.

Of course it will be better if equipment was UK built but again, it's not home/abroad.

There will clearly be investment in labour, equipment (unless you think every single component will come from abroad), fees etc. That's before we consider the benefits the staff see. Then we have the environmental benefits.

You see there can be lots of benefits to be had from this, the price of a bag of crisps to the consumer is way way down the list.

Again, of course there will be complexity behind the headline, unless you think a £58m investment comes without complexities.

Leeds

Some of its crisps.

I'm mystified why you might think that moving the production of products for UK consumption from the EU to the UK is a bad thing and why you do not think that is onshoring.

I'm sure that you can explain it to your own satisfaction, somehow. However, you do always seem to end up debating the meaning of individual words.

I'm sure that Walkers crisps "can" be exported anywhere that anyone might wish. So?"

Im mystified why it's 3 years after brexit they decided to do it. If they could have "on shored" for the last 6 years

There was nothing in the article saying

About onshoring. Just mentioned some of the uk favourites.

Sadly it seems as per usual you read what you want to read.

West London

I still don't know if that means we get cheaper crisps which would benefit the consumer. What do you think?

Moving manufacturing from the EU to produce more of the product range in the UK is a significant investment and a vote of confidence in the UK as a whole. I expect the the raw ingredients to be sourced in the UK, an increase in UK logistics and an increase in staff.

Will the end product be cheaper? I wouldn't expect it to be as the investment needs to have a return and the products are low cost high quantity, cutting the cost would barely be noticed. "

It is a significant investment, although it would only appear to be "a vote of confidence" in the British population wanting to eat a large quantity of crisps in the long term.

PepsiCo may be willing to reduce margin for. A while so that they retain market share. Depends how price sensitive crisp sales are. Up to them. I only made this point to indicate that benefits being multifaceted.

West London

Again, is there complexity behind the headline as to who ultimately benefits from the investment?

The consumer doesn't always need to benefit. There are obviously numerous benefits to investment though.

Why does it need to be preferable to a more expensive product, there is no indication that there will be price increases because of this move. You've made that part up.

Of course it will be better if equipment was UK built but again, it's not home/abroad.

There will clearly be investment in labour, equipment (unless you think every single component will come from abroad), fees etc. That's before we consider the benefits the staff see. Then we have the environmental benefits.

You see there can be lots of benefits to be had from this, the price of a bag of crisps to the consumer is way way down the list.

Again, of course there will be complexity behind the headline, unless you think a £58m investment comes without complexities."

I gave you the same answer worded differently. As long as you're happy. That's the main thing.

I didn't say that the product would be more expensive. I asked if it would be. You don't seem to mind if UK residents pay more for things. Fair enough.

I know that a large part of the money will be spent in the UK. Some may or may not.

So ultimately there is nothing for you to argue with me about. You could have just agreed that the benefits of an investment are complicated. Yet you have.

West London

Some of its crisps.

I'm sure that Walkers crisps "can" be exported anywhere that anyone might wish. So?

Im mystified why it's 3 years after brexit they decided to do it. If they could have "on shored" for the last 6 years

There was nothing in the article saying

About onshoring. Just mentioned some of the uk favourites.

Sadly it seems as per usual you read what you want to read.

"

You continue to be mystified about the trade agreement only having been signed in December 2020 and how much the UK and European demands for crisps and snacks may change before being considered a strong enough trend to commit £58m to.

As predicted, you arguing over the definition of a word.

Bournemouth

Again, of course there will be complexity behind the headline, unless you think a £58m investment comes without complexities.

I gave you the same answer worded differently. As long as you're happy. That's the main thing.

I didn't say that the product would be more expensive. I asked if it would be. You don't seem to mind if UK residents pay more for things. Fair enough.

I know that a large part of the money will be spent in the UK. Some may or may not.

So ultimately there is nothing for you to argue with me about. You could have just agreed that the benefits of an investment are complicated. Yet you have."

I told you earlier to lose the condescending tone. Or you could keep accusing others of 'arguing' with you without looking in the mirror.

As far as I can see, you've said 'yeah it's good' (couldn't really not, could you)

But what about this or that or that.

Always looking for negatives. I'm glad though, it gives me someone to 'argue' with

West London

So ultimately there is nothing for you to argue with me about. You could have just agreed that the benefits of an investment are complicated. Yet you have.

I told you earlier to lose the condescending tone. Or you could keep accusing others of 'arguing' with you without looking in the mirror.

As far as I can see, you've said 'yeah it's good' (couldn't really not, could you)

Always looking for negatives. I'm glad though, it gives me someone to 'argue' with "

You can "tell me" to do whatever you wish but your need to control conversations is a matter of indifference to me.

There we go, the label as predicted whenever any complexity is discussed beyond a headline which must be "good" or "bad". "With us" or "against us".

Not even able to accept that I think that this is good news without begrudging it.

You have, quite literally, argued over nothing and continue to. Get your last word in so that we can be done.

Bournemouth

Always looking for negatives. I'm glad though, it gives me someone to 'argue' with

You can "tell me" to do whatever you wish but your need to control conversations is a matter of indifference to me.

There we go, the label as predicted whenever any complexity is discussed beyond a headline which must be "good" or "bad". "With us" or "against us".

Not even able to accept that I think that this is good news without begrudging it.

You have, quite literally, argued over nothing and continue to. Get your last word in so that we can be done."

I can tell you, you can also do as you please. Let's be clear here, your condescension towards other doesn't say anything about me, that's on you.

Imagine you trying to tell me I need to 'control' the narrative, it's been quite the opposite ont his thread.

I've just told you that you accepted a positive whilst adding, but this or that. Is you keep adding buts then of course I'm think you begrudgingly accept good news.

You need to wake up and see it. Why do you think you spend more time arguing on these forums than agreeing?

milton keynes

I'm not sure about all these onshore or offshore quotes are about or who will supply what as it may well be UK supplied. What's important is that a product that was being made abroad is now to be made in the UK instead. Lots of investment, 100 ish new jobs, could be knock on benefits for the local community, possible benefits in the supply chain ect ect. However we may end up with Gary Liniker on our screens even more.

I wonder what the reaction would be if was happening in reverse and they were moving production out of the UK

Bournemouth

"I'm not sure about all these onshore or offshore quotes are about or who will supply what as it may well be UK supplied. What's important is that a product that was being made abroad is now to be made in the UK instead. Lots of investment, 100 ish new jobs, could be knock on benefits for the local community, possible benefits in the supply chain ect ect. However we may end up with Gary Liniker on our screens even more.

I wonder what the reaction would be if was happening in reverse and they were moving production out of the UK"

You know full well what the reaction would have been

Leeds

"I'm not sure about all these onshore or offshore quotes are about or who will supply what as it may well be UK supplied. What's important is that a product that was being made abroad is now to be made in the UK instead. Lots of investment, 100 ish new jobs, could be knock on benefits for the local community, possible benefits in the supply chain ect ect. However we may end up with Gary Liniker on our screens even more.

I wonder what the reaction would be if was happening in reverse and they were moving production out of the UK"

Basically easy made something up and claimed an article said something that it didn't.

West London

That's all that I said was happening.

Products that were being made abroad to sell here will now be made here. That is onshoring by most definitions.

The only caveat that I added was that it is possible that the headline figure for investment will not all find its way into the UK economy and we may not get more expensive crisps. I just said that it's complicated.

I don't think that's controversial.

If jobs were going to the EU from here then I would view that as a bad thing.

There was a time when nobody was too bothered about where in the EU investment was made because overall we would likely benefit. However, it has now become more of a zero sum game. If the EU gets it we don't.

milton keynes

I wonder what the reaction would be if was happening in reverse and they were moving production out of the UK

Products that were being made abroad to sell here will now be made here. That is onshoring by most definitions.

The only caveat that I added was that it is possible that the headline figure for investment will not all find its way into the UK economy and we may not get more expensive crisps. I just said that it's complicated.

There was a time when nobody was too bothered about where in the EU investment was made because overall we would likely benefit. However, it has now become more of a zero sum game. If the EU gets it we don't."

Well I'm pleased to hear of this excellent news for the UK and it sounds like most if not all agree. It is true that some new equipment may be made in China or something like that. Then again they may be made in the UK. Surely that's a caveat you could apply to most if not all investments in most if not all countries. It's not a comment I see when others are announcing investments in other countries. I have no idea of the price of crisps now let alone in the future but have no reason to think this move will make them increase. It may have the opposite effect.

West London

There was a time when nobody was too bothered about where in the EU investment was made because overall we would likely benefit. However, it has now become more of a zero sum game. If the EU gets it we don't.

Well I'm pleased to hear of this excellent news for the UK and it sounds like most if not all agree. It is true that some new equipment may be made in China or something like that. Then again they may be made in the UK. Surely that's a caveat you could apply to most if not all investments in most if not all countries. It's not a comment I see when others are announcing investments in other countries. I have no idea of the price of crisps now let alone in the future but have no reason to think this move will make them increase. It may have the opposite effect."

Absolutely, it's a caveat to all capital investments.

As an aside, the countries that got the worst deals are the ones which accepted belt-and-road funds from China. They borrowed the money which paid for Chinese staff to travel over and build with Chinese equipment and materials.

The price of crisp was not really to expected to get quite such an excitable response...

milton keynes

Well I'm pleased to hear of this excellent news for the UK and it sounds like most if not all agree. It is true that some new equipment may be made in China or something like that. Then again they may be made in the UK. Surely that's a caveat you could apply to most if not all investments in most if not all countries. It's not a comment I see when others are announcing investments in other countries. I have no idea of the price of crisps now let alone in the future but have no reason to think this move will make them increase. It may have the opposite effect.

Absolutely, it's a caveat to all capital investments.

As an aside, the countries that got the worst deals are the ones which accepted belt-and-road funds from China. They borrowed the money which paid for Chinese staff to travel over and build with Chinese equipment and materials.

The price of crisp was not really to expected to get quite such an excitable response..."

Well that's good news then if the only very very slight negative is that this investment shares the same caveat as virtually every other investment in virtually every other country then it's definitely excellent news

» Add a new message to this topic