FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > G20

G20

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP    34 weeks ago

In case you were wondering the "sustainable development" goals have little to nothing to do with environmental sustainability and everything to do with creating big tech public - private infrastructure that can harvest more data from you and surveil you more than ever before.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site) 34 weeks ago

"In case you were wondering the "sustainable development" goals have little to nothing to do with environmental sustainability and everything to do with creating big tech public - private infrastructure that can harvest more data from you and surveil you more than ever before."

They can surveil me as much as they like. I suspect they’ll not find much of interest.

By *enSiskoMan 34 weeks ago

Cestus 3

"In case you were wondering the "sustainable development" goals have little to nothing to do with environmental sustainability and everything to do with creating big tech public - private infrastructure that can harvest more data from you and surveil you more than ever before.

They can surveil me as much as they like. I suspect they’ll not find much of interest. "

That the sort of thing I would of said 6/10 years ago.

Recently my pass to play games on the internet has risen in price eyewatering

risen.

And yes I pay twice to play game, one for the regular internet, and a fee to pay on their servers, highway robbery yes but I still pay.

Anyway I discovered that it is my activity on the internet and the activity of other Sony users that lead to the price rise.

Why.

Well I buy products on line, games, controllers consoles and I read about games on line, all of this information is sold to data brokers who then sell my activity on line to Sony along with millions of other users.

Sony use this data in many ways, one way was to see how much we all spend and assume how much we can really pay.

leading to the price rise they know we can afford in the most.

So having my data harvested did nothing for me except to only pay more for a service I have used for 20 plus years.

By *irldnCouple 34 weeks ago

Brighton

Online advertising has been working that way for years. You are tracked to see what you look at, where you cane from and where you go on the internet. Advertisers use predictive analytics to then serve content to you that they think matches your interests and purchase preferences.

Cestus 3

"Online advertising has been working that way for years. You are tracked to see what you look at, where you cane from and where you go on the internet. Advertisers use predictive analytics to then serve content to you that they think matches your interests and purchase preferences."

Thank you, you are of course right but, there had to be a but when it comes to me.

Yes what you have said is correct, but what I found as I said above is that Sony has managed to collate this data to see how much spare cash I and other users have and then decided a price rise after analysing the data they have brought, based on that data, and the irony is that it was me that provided that data by signing their contract that enables me to use their services.

So this extreme price rise to use Sony services is of my doing including all other Sony users.

figure that.

By *exy_HornyCouple 34 weeks ago

Leigh

"Online advertising has been working that way for years. You are tracked to see what you look at, where you cane from and where you go on the internet. Advertisers use predictive analytics to then serve content to you that they think matches your interests and purchase preferences.

Thank you, you are of course right but, there had to be a but when it comes to me.

Yes what you have said is correct, but what I found as I said above is that Sony has managed to collate this data to see how much spare cash I and other users have and then decided a price rise after analysing the data they have brought, based on that data, and the irony is that it was me that provided that data by signing their contract that enables me to use their services.

So this extreme price rise to use Sony services is of my doing including all other Sony users.

figure that."

This is why people should avoid any products or services that require online accounts or subscriptions. Lured in by clever marketing then shafted when it is difficult to leave.

Also, make sure ad blockers and cookie settings are set up to minimise data collection and useless ads.

Don't really understand how advertising makes money, then again the general public is (generally) stupid so may see an advert and think that they really need whatever tat is being promoted.

"

Don't really understand how advertising makes money, then again the general public is (generally) stupid so may see an advert and think that they really need whatever tat is being promoted."

Nobody is immune to advertising.

Leigh

"

Nobody is immune to advertising. "

Really?

I can't think of one thing I have bought based on an advert. Certainly not in the past decade or so.

I tend to avoid seeing or watching adverts but when I am unsuccessful in this they are annoying and promote rubbish I wouldn't buy anyway.

"

Really?

I can't think of one thing I have bought based on an advert. Certainly not in the past decade or so.

I tend to avoid seeing or watching adverts but when I am unsuccessful in this they are annoying and promote rubbish I wouldn't buy anyway."

If I asked you to name a tool company, or a phone company, or an airline - one would immediately spring to mind without even considering it.

That’s advertising.

Brighton

"

Really?

I tend to avoid seeing or watching adverts but when I am unsuccessful in this they are annoying and promote rubbish I wouldn't buy anyway."

What toothpaste do you buy? (Bear with me).

Leigh

"

Really?

I tend to avoid seeing or watching adverts but when I am unsuccessful in this they are annoying and promote rubbish I wouldn't buy anyway.

If I asked you to name a tool company, or a phone company, or an airline - one would immediately spring to mind without even considering it.

That’s advertising. "

Haven't seen adverts for any of those recently.

All the adverts on TV seem to be for perfume (don't know why, it is way too early for Christmas, and Mother's Day has gone) or cleaning products, or equity release etc.

Don't see any adverts online due to ad blockers.

Leigh

"

Really?

What toothpaste do you buy? (Bear with me)."

One that is not advertised.

Brighton

"

Really?

One that is not advertised."

Which one?

Leigh

"

Really?

Which one?"

Kingfisher

Brighton

"

Really?

Which one?

Kingfisher "

What made you buy that brand the first time?

"

Really?

That’s advertising.

Haven't seen adverts for any of those recently.

All the adverts on TV seem to be for perfume (don't know why, it is way too early for Christmas, and Mother's Day has gone) or cleaning products, or equity release etc.

Don't see any adverts online due to ad blockers."

Advertising isn’t all on TV or online.

Leigh

"

Really?

Which one?

Kingfisher

What made you buy that brand the first time?"

Desperation. Almost all toothpaste is mint flavour, which makes me feel sick. The previous brand I used for 20 years stopped being produced. I then had to go to every possible shop to find a non mint brand. This one was the only one available at the time, however it is so unpopular that it is no longer stocked where I found it and I have to buy online. It was not advertised, or displayed prominently, I think I had to ask the shop assistant and it was on the bottom shelf in the corner.

No advertising or promotion.

Brighton

"

Really?

Which one?

Kingfisher

Desperation. Almost all toothpaste is mint flavour, which makes me feel sick. The previous brand I used for 20 years stopped being produced. I then had to go to every possible shop to find a non mint brand. This one was the only one available at the time, however it is so unpopular that it is no longer stocked where I found it and I have to buy online. It was not advertised, or displayed prominently, I think I had to ask the shop assistant and it was on the bottom shelf in the corner.

No advertising or promotion."

So presumably you asked in the shop if they had non-mint toothpaste? The shop would have stocked that brand in the first place based on product marketing activity to get retailers to buy stock.

Leigh

"

Really?

Which one?

Kingfisher

So presumably you asked in the shop if they had non-mint toothpaste? The shop would have stocked that brand in the first place based on product marketing activity to get retailers to buy stock."

That is different to buying directly from adverts. Also the product is no longer stocked so if there was sny advertising it wasn't effective.

By *astandFeistyCouple 34 weeks ago

Bournemouth

"

Really?

Which one?

Kingfisher

So presumably you asked in the shop if they had non-mint toothpaste? The shop would have stocked that brand in the first place based on product marketing activity to get retailers to buy stock."

Feels like you're trying to tie the poster in a knot over this...

Whilst I agree no one is immune to advertising, it's makes the world spin. They actually said they hadn't bought anything based on an advert.

It's like saying DeWalt run adverts which means I bought my drill because of an advert, I didn't.

By *melie LALWoman 34 weeks ago

Peterborough

For mash gets smashed.

As a kid loved the stuff. Hated real mash

Now it's a jacket potato with butter, yum.

And back to the G20

Cestus 3

"Online advertising has been working that way for years. You are tracked to see what you look at, where you cane from and where you go on the internet. Advertisers use predictive analytics to then serve content to you that they think matches your interests and purchase preferences.

figure that.

This is why people should avoid any products or services that require online accounts or subscriptions. Lured in by clever marketing then shafted when it is difficult to leave.

Also, make sure ad blockers and cookie settings are set up to minimise data collection and useless ads.

Don't really understand how advertising makes money, then again the general public is (generally) stupid so may see an advert and think that they really need whatever tat is being promoted."

Ok what I refer to is linked to advertising, but in my case as you said have ad blockers etc, with IOS this is the norm and has been for a time apple iOS even supply a vpn so that is not my issue.

It is Companies buying my data when I am off iOS, that's my issue really. and something I have no control over.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 34 weeks ago

Gilfach

"Ok what I refer to is linked to advertising, but in my case as you said have ad blockers etc, with IOS this is the norm and has been for a time apple iOS even supply a vpn so that is not my issue.

It is Companies buying my data when I am off iOS, that's my issue really. and something I have no control over."

Of course you have control over it. Just don't give them your data, and you can't be tracked. There are ad blockers available for all platforms.

Cestus 3

"Ok what I refer to is linked to advertising, but in my case as you said have ad blockers etc, with IOS this is the norm and has been for a time apple iOS even supply a vpn so that is not my issue.

It is Companies buying my data when I am off iOS, that's my issue really. and something I have no control over.

Of course you have control over it. Just don't give them your data, and you can't be tracked. There are ad blockers available for all platforms."

Ok my understanding is an AD blocker blocks Ad's that have been sent to me, that is the last step in the process.

my data and everyones else data is harvested off apps, like WhatsApp, instagrammed any app on your phone, and if you use android devices you have agreed to having your data taken, regardless of ad blockers

The reality is that you can’t avoid data mining unless you live off the grid.

Cestus 3

"The reality is that you can’t avoid data mining unless you live off the grid. "

Agreed, that is what I am realising.

By *otMe66Man 34 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"

Really?

Car manufacturers have some of the biggest advertising budgets in the world and are masters of their trade.

They’re everywhere, their badges, colours and style are not something you can avoid.

They can sell you a car based on budget, tech, ego, luxury, economy, and everything in between.

You might not think they’ve influenced you but they have, you will have an opinion of Ferrari, Skoda, BMW and Ford. You may never have owned one, but you will still know a lot more than nothing about them

By *mateur100Man 34 weeks ago

nr faversham

"In case you were wondering the "sustainable development" goals have little to nothing to do with environmental sustainability and everything to do with creating big tech public - private infrastructure that can harvest more data from you and surveil you more than ever before.

They can surveil me as much as they like. I suspect they’ll not find much of interest.

risen.

And yes I pay twice to play game, one for the regular internet, and a fee to pay on their servers, highway robbery yes but I still pay.

Anyway I discovered that it is my activity on the internet and the activity of other Sony users that lead to the price rise.

Why.

Well I buy products on line, games, controllers consoles and I read about games on line, all of this information is sold to data brokers who then sell my activity on line to Sony along with millions of other users.

Sony use this data in many ways, one way was to see how much we all spend and assume how much we can really pay.

So having my data harvested did nothing for me except to only pay more for a service I have used for 20 plus years."

Never mind all that Ben, did you ever fuck Jadzia?

Leigh

"

Really?

Car manufacturers have some of the biggest advertising budgets in the world and are masters of their trade.

They’re everywhere, their badges, colours and style are not something you can avoid.

They can sell you a car based on budget, tech, ego, luxury, economy, and everything in between.

You might not think they’ve influenced you but they have, you will have an opinion of Ferrari, Skoda, BMW and Ford. You may never have owned one, but you will still know a lot more than nothing about them "

I would agree if we were having this conversation 40 years ago, when car advertising was informative.

Now, as all cars are the same, the adverts I have seen don't tell me anything at all about the vehicle. They try and sell them as lifestyle choices not a means of transport.

I ordered my current car unseen before it was launched in the UK. No advertising (as the cars weren't available) and no dealer visit as no demonstrators were available.

First time I saw the car was when I picked it up after I had paid for it.

Gilfach

"Ok my understanding is an AD blocker blocks Ad's that have been sent to me, that is the last step in the process."

Ad blockers do indeed block ads. They also block 'breadcrumbs', which are the tracking cookies that companies use to follow you around the net.

"my data and everyones else data is harvested off apps, like WhatsApp, instagrammed any app on your phone, and if you use android devices you have agreed to having your data taken, regardless of ad blockers"

So stop using those things. Then you won't be tracked.

Leigh

"Ok my understanding is an AD blocker blocks Ad's that have been sent to me, that is the last step in the process.

Ad blockers do indeed block ads. They also block 'breadcrumbs', which are the tracking cookies that companies use to follow you around the net.

my data and everyones else data is harvested off apps, like WhatsApp, instagrammed any app on your phone, and if you use android devices you have agreed to having your data taken, regardless of ad blockers

So stop using those things. Then you won't be tracked."

You can't complain about data harvesting by "free" apps whose business model is to harvest and sell your data so ads can be targeted to you....

Don't like it? Don't use them.

Terra Firma

"

Really?

You might not think they’ve influenced you but they have, you will have an opinion of Ferrari, Skoda, BMW and Ford. You may never have owned one, but you will still know a lot more than nothing about them

I would agree if we were having this conversation 40 years ago, when car advertising was informative.

Now, as all cars are the same, the adverts I have seen don't tell me anything at all about the vehicle. They try and sell them as lifestyle choices not a means of transport.

I ordered my current car unseen before it was launched in the UK. No advertising (as the cars weren't available) and no dealer visit as no demonstrators were available.

First time I saw the car was when I picked it up after I had paid for it."

Unless you have some kind of super power, you must have known about the car you were purchasing or you would not have known the car exists.

Buying a new car is also likely to be the largest single purchase you make after your house, and I would expect some due diligence to have taken place, unless you have an amazing amount of trust in the brand.

How did you purchase the car, througth a dealer or online? I'm not arguing you don't get sucked into advertising as a rule, I'm saying there are adverts all around us that we absorb and unconsciously we begin to form opinions. Influencers are some of the most disingenuous advertisers out there at the moment

Cestus 3

risen.

Why.

So having my data harvested did nothing for me except to only pay more for a service I have used for 20 plus years.

Never mind all that Ben, did you ever fuck Jadzia? "

Hahah alas no my fab friend.

Cestus 3

"Ok my understanding is an AD blocker blocks Ad's that have been sent to me, that is the last step in the process.

So stop using those things. Then you won't be tracked."

Easy to say really, I thought I did stop using apps that track me and harvest my data, WhatsApp all the other popular ones.

I use a PS5 and that is the only data I give out, but that's enough it seems.

no bother anyway that's life now, I am just living in it.

Leigh

"Unless you have some kind of super power, you must have known about the car you were purchasing or you would not have known the car exists."

As I was thinking it was time to change the car I kept an eye open in various sources (mainly print magazines) as to what was available and what was coming soon. The magazines had pre-launch tests of left hand drive non-uk spec versions. Although this can be seen as a form of advertising I read all the reviews skeptically and try and read as many different points of view as possible.

"Buying a new car is also likely to be the largest single purchase you make after your house, and I would expect some due diligence to have taken place, unless you have an amazing amount of trust in the brand."

It is difficult to buy a really bad car these days. I read the reviews as above (although not of the specification or engine I bought as they weren't tested until long after I had got mine). I analysed the specifications and decided what I wanted. I love classic cars, but all modern cars are the same and leave me cold so the process was as exciting as buying a new washing machine.

"How did you purchase the car, througth a dealer or online? I'm not arguing you don't get sucked into advertising as a rule, I'm saying there are adverts all around us that we absorb and unconsciously we begin to form opinions. Influencers are some of the most disingenuous advertisers out there at the moment."

Go the the manufacturer's website. Enquire about the model you want and the local dealer contacts you. The cars are fixed price so no negotiation and the first time I went to the dealer was to pick the car up 6 months after ordering it. Sold the old car privately.

Don't know how "influencers" are so popular. They are vacuous airheads who have too high an opinion of themselves - people who watch and follow them are prime examples of the general stupidity of the population.

Terra Firma

"Unless you have some kind of super power, you must have known about the car you were purchasing or you would not have known the car exists.

As I was thinking it was time to change the car I kept an eye open in various sources (mainly print magazines) as to what was available and what was coming soon. The magazines had pre-launch tests of left hand drive non-uk spec versions. Although this can be seen as a form of advertising I read all the reviews skeptically and try and read as many different points of view as possible.

Buying a new car is also likely to be the largest single purchase you make after your house, and I would expect some due diligence to have taken place, unless you have an amazing amount of trust in the brand.

It is difficult to buy a really bad car these days. I read the reviews as above (although not of the specification or engine I bought as they weren't tested until long after I had got mine). I analysed the specifications and decided what I wanted. I love classic cars, but all modern cars are the same and leave me cold so the process was as exciting as buying a new washing machine.

How did you purchase the car, througth a dealer or online? I'm not arguing you don't get sucked into advertising as a rule, I'm saying there are adverts all around us that we absorb and unconsciously we begin to form opinions. Influencers are some of the most disingenuous advertisers out there at the moment.

Go the the manufacturer's website. Enquire about the model you want and the local dealer contacts you. The cars are fixed price so no negotiation and the first time I went to the dealer was to pick the car up 6 months after ordering it. Sold the old car privately.

Don't know how "influencers" are so popular. They are vacuous airheads who have too high an opinion of themselves - people who watch and follow them are prime examples of the general stupidity of the population."

Fair play, you made your decision based on the facts and what matched your requirements after research. I do that too, but I can be swayed by a positive write up that hits a particular point of interest for me. Is that a form of persuasion and subtle advertising? I do get a feel for some reviews that they are pushing certain features that will interest the readership / viewers.

YouTube must be one of the most targeted platforms in the world, they know exactly what you like and how much time you spend looking at the things you like and don't like.

Brighton

Well Sexy_Horny may be an exception but I can confidently say that the vast majority of people are influenced by marketing (note I did not say advertising).

While adverts are easy to recognise, marketing is far broader and more sophisticated. Marketers spend years, even decades, building their brand. The techniques are legion and in some cases amazingly subtle.

Whether people want to admit it or not, they/we all have preconceptions about brands. It works on both a conscious and subconscious level. Everything from blatant advertising, through PR, paid influencers, guerrilla marketing, experiential marketing, word of mouth, paid for customer reviews, product placement (tv/films/magazine shoots), celebrity endorsement, state endorsement, other trusted brand endorsement, retail positioning, social media, etc etc etc

20/30 years ago few people bought Skodas. They were a joke brand in the UK based on Eastern European/Communist product quality. When Volkswagen bought them they had a task on their hands to changed popularly held perceptions in the west. They’ve done it. While build quality is a big factor (basically rebadged VWs) but marketing played a huge role (not just advertising).

Advertising is about brand awareness. Marketing is about brand perceptions. (I am generalising).

Gilfach

"20/30 years ago few people bought Skodas. They were a joke brand in the UK based on Eastern European/Communist product quality. When Volkswagen bought them they had a task on their hands to changed popularly held perceptions in the west. They’ve done it. While build quality is a big factor (basically rebadged VWs) but marketing played a huge role (not just advertising)."

Today's Skoda is actually next year's Volkswagen. They try out the new ideas and manufacturing techniques on the Skoda brand, so that it won't hurt the VW brand if there's a problem. So, yes, a good example of marketing.

Terra Firma

"Well Sexy_Horny may be an exception but I can confidently say that the vast majority of people are influenced by marketing (note I did not say advertising).

While adverts are easy to recognise, marketing is far broader and more sophisticated. Marketers spend years, even decades, building their brand. The techniques are legion and in some cases amazingly subtle.

Whether people want to admit it or not, they/we all have preconceptions about brands. It works on both a conscious and subconscious level. Everything from blatant advertising, through PR, paid influencers, guerrilla marketing, experiential marketing, word of mouth, paid for customer reviews, product placement (tv/films/magazine shoots), celebrity endorsement, state endorsement, other trusted brand endorsement, retail positioning, social media, etc etc etc

20/30 years ago few people bought Skodas. They were a joke brand in the UK based on Eastern European/Communist product quality. When Volkswagen bought them they had a task on their hands to changed popularly held perceptions in the west. They’ve done it. While build quality is a big factor (basically rebadged VWs) but marketing played a huge role (not just advertising).

Advertising is about brand awareness. Marketing is about brand perceptions. (I am generalising)."

Great post!

Businesses spend millions upon millions to understand what the consumer wants, they don't simply manufacture something and hope it will sell, they know what will sell, too whom and most importantly how much someone is prepared to pay.

By *umbrian85Man 34 weeks ago

Cumbria

"In case you were wondering the "sustainable development" goals have little to nothing to do with environmental sustainability and everything to do with creating big tech public - private infrastructure that can harvest more data from you and surveil you more than ever before."

This user, posted a few conspiracy theories then disappeared... the truth is out there

Brighton

This user, posted a few conspiracy theories then disappeared... the truth is out there "

They got her! Agenda 21 has started. Only 7,999,999,999 to go!

Brighton

"Well Sexy_Horny may be an exception but I can confidently say that the vast majority of people are influenced by marketing (note I did not say advertising).

Advertising is about brand awareness. Marketing is about brand perceptions. (I am generalising).

Great post!

Businesses spend millions upon millions to understand what the consumer wants, they don't simply manufacture something and hope it will sell, they know what will sell, too whom and most importantly how much someone is prepared to pay.

"

Thanks. As Mr Discretion says, many groups use sister brands to pilot new ideas. They sacrifice one product line (cannibalise sales) to increase market share for the new thing (men’s razors being a classic example). They deliberately make the old version seem obsolete with the new version (iphones) when they are perfectly useable. They also buy up competitor brands to them put them out of business (after evolving the best products into the parent brand). Generally these are all marketing led initiatives (although M&A clearly has other drivers).

By *ust RachelTV/TS 33 weeks ago

Eastbourne

"

Really?

That’s advertising. "

I buy things due to personal experience.

Phone would be a nokia. As the nokia brick was my first phone.

Airline would be Germanwings, as they gave out the best chocolates to the gate staff at gatwick.

As for tool company, snap on, just cause I can't afford their stuff.

I try not to follow the trends in advertising, as most of it is over rated.

By *irldnCouple 33 weeks ago

Brighton

"

Really?

That’s advertising.

Airline would be Germanwings, as they gave out the best chocolates to the gate staff at gatwick.

I try not to follow the trends in advertising, as most of it is over rated."

In many companies (particularly successful companies) the customer experience and product experience is owned by the marketing department. They are the experts in knowing what makes customers tick/happy.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 33 weeks ago

Gilfach

"I buy things due to personal experience.

I try not to follow the trends in advertising, as most of it is over rated."

Good examples of marketing.

At the turn of the millennium Nokia phones were undoubtedly the best available. Today they are cheap low-quality android phones, made by a company called HMD Global. With no reputation, no one would buy an HMD Global phone, but stick a Nokia badge on the front and suddenly they have a loyal customer base. That's marketing.

Snap-On tools aren't actually the best available. They're good, but not great. There are plenty of tool comparison videos on YouTube that pit Snap-On against other brands, and Snap-On rarely wins. But the brand has been carefully nurtured with mechanics over the years and now people see the stickers and the big cabinets in garages, and they assume that they must be the best. That's marketing.

By *ust RachelTV/TS 32 weeks ago

Eastbourne

"I buy things due to personal experience.

Good examples of marketing.

At the turn of the millennium Nokia phones were undoubtedly the best available. Today they are cheap low-quality android phones, made by a company called HMD Global. With no reputation, no one would buy an HMD Global phone, but stick a Nokia badge on the front and suddenly they have a loyal customer base. That's marketing.

Snap-On tools aren't actually the best available. They're good, but not great. There are plenty of tool comparison videos on YouTube that pit Snap-On against other brands, and Snap-On rarely wins. But the brand has been carefully nurtured with mechanics over the years and now people see the stickers and the big cabinets in garages, and they assume that they must be the best. That's marketing."

After destroying most of my stuff when working on my old VW Beetle, the snap on tools I sourced from work, lasted longer than anything I had before. I can only go by my experiences.

By *ust RachelTV/TS 32 weeks ago

Eastbourne

"

Really?

That’s advertising.

In many companies (particularly successful companies) the customer experience and product experience is owned by the marketing department. They are the experts in knowing what makes customers tick/happy."

Not the case in everything though.

My cycling equipment is Campagnolo Record, as I broke so much shimano stuff, from crank arms, bottom bracket cups, axles, etc. There is no marketing hype there, just buying stuff that works.

My wheels are hand made 36 spoke rims and hubs, as I destroy anything with less spokes. That comes down to what I can source, as 36 hole rim and spokes are hard to find.

Everything else comes down to cost, and availability.

By *ustintime69Man 32 weeks ago

Bristol

"

Really?

That’s advertising.

In many companies (particularly successful companies) the customer experience and product experience is owned by the marketing department. They are the experts in knowing what makes customers tick/happy.

Not the case in everything though.

My cycling equipment is Campagnolo Record, as I broke so much shimano stuff, from crank arms, bottom bracket cups, axles, etc. There is no marketing hype there, just buying stuff that works.

My wheels are hand made 36 spoke rims and hubs, as I destroy anything with less spokes. That comes down to what I can source, as 36 hole rim and spokes are hard to find.

Everything else comes down to cost, and availability."

It sounds like you ride as hard as a friend of mine does and he had to give up on shimano too but then he’s also broken more frames than anyone else I know! All tools evolve and the fact that most are made in China now rather than Switzerland, the USA or even here as they used to be seems to have made hand tools less good but power tools better…. I guess that’s good?

» Add a new message to this topic