FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Foreign aid

Foreign aid

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *mateur100 OP   Man 33 weeks ago

nr faversham

It's long overdue this ongoing subsidy was stopped. And before the lefties cry racist I'll tell you why in my opinion. Stop giving to govts that, in many cases, don't need the money, certainly not if they have space or nuclear programmes. If we're going to borrow shed loads of money and pay the interest (unless someone's going to tell me we have £12bn sitting around) keep it and use it to help with natural disasters. That way it goes, hopefully, directly to those who need it and not corrupt politicians and govts and the UK would actually be recognised by those on the ground

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site) 33 weeks ago

"It's long overdue this ongoing subsidy was stopped. And before the lefties cry racist I'll tell you why in my opinion. Stop giving to govts that, in many cases, don't need the money, certainly not if they have space or nuclear programmes. If we're going to borrow shed loads of money and pay the interest (unless someone's going to tell me we have £12bn sitting around) keep it and use it to help with natural disasters. That way it goes, hopefully, directly to those who need it and not corrupt politicians and govts and the UK would actually be recognised by those on the ground"

Foreign aid = soft power.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan 33 weeks ago

Hastings

"It's long overdue this ongoing subsidy was stopped. And before the lefties cry racist I'll tell you why in my opinion. Stop giving to govts that, in many cases, don't need the money, certainly not if they have space or nuclear programmes. If we're going to borrow shed loads of money and pay the interest (unless someone's going to tell me we have £12bn sitting around) keep it and use it to help with natural disasters. That way it goes, hopefully, directly to those who need it and not corrupt politicians and govts and the UK would actually be recognised by those on the ground"

I do kind of agree support the red Cross etc, but giving it to other government is madness.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 33 weeks ago

Gilfach

"It's long overdue this ongoing subsidy was stopped. And before the lefties cry racist I'll tell you why in my opinion. Stop giving to govts that, in many cases, don't need the money, certainly not if they have space or nuclear programmes."

Which country with a space or nuclear programme do you think receives foreign aid from the UK?

By *0shadesOfFilthMan 33 weeks ago

nearby

£12bn a year is small beer

£1700bn has been added to the national debt in the last 13 years

By *astandFeistyCouple 33 weeks ago

Bournemouth

"It's long overdue this ongoing subsidy was stopped. And before the lefties cry racist I'll tell you why in my opinion. Stop giving to govts that, in many cases, don't need the money, certainly not if they have space or nuclear programmes. If we're going to borrow shed loads of money and pay the interest (unless someone's going to tell me we have £12bn sitting around) keep it and use it to help with natural disasters. That way it goes, hopefully, directly to those who need it and not corrupt politicians and govts and the UK would actually be recognised by those on the ground

£1700bn has been added to the national debt in the last 13 years "

Of which 12bn/year is nearly 10%.

Not exactly small beer.

By *otMe66Man 33 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"It's long overdue this ongoing subsidy was stopped. And before the lefties cry racist I'll tell you why in my opinion. Stop giving to govts that, in many cases, don't need the money, certainly not if they have space or nuclear programmes. If we're going to borrow shed loads of money and pay the interest (unless someone's going to tell me we have £12bn sitting around) keep it and use it to help with natural disasters. That way it goes, hopefully, directly to those who need it and not corrupt politicians and govts and the UK would actually be recognised by those on the ground

£1700bn has been added to the national debt in the last 13 years "

Any chance of providing context behind the numbers?

Gilfach

"£12bn a year is small beer"

"£1700bn has been added to the national debt in the last 13 years"

"Of which 12bn/year is nearly 10%.

Not exactly small beer."

You need some new batteries for your calculator.

Terra Firma

"£12bn a year is small beer

Not exactly small beer.

You need some new batteries for your calculator."

Take away the % miscalculation, what is your view on £12 billion? is it or is it not a significant amount of money?

By *ostindreamsMan 33 weeks ago

London

I read that the hotel cost for accommodating immigrants is coming from the foreign aid budget which means the the money actually going to other countries is reduced in the last couple of years. This is the source:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/asylum-hotels-migrants-aid-spending-b2309613.html

By *irldnCouple 33 weeks ago

Brighton

Not exactly small beer.

You need some new batteries for your calculator."

Assume Feisty was saying £12bn x 13 years = £156bn? That is 9.17% of £1700bn.

(That aside pretty sure the figure has not been a consistent £12bn each year of those 13 years?)

[Removed by poster at 18/09/23 00:39:38]

Not exactly small beer.

Take away the % miscalculation, what is your view on £12 billion? is it or is it not a significant amount of money?"

It’s about 6 weeks worth of Brexit losses, for context

Bournemouth

Not exactly small beer.

Assume Feisty was saying £12bn x 13 years = £156bn? That is 9.17% of £1700bn.

(That aside pretty sure the figure has not been a consistent £12bn each year of those 13 years?)"

That is correct. I didn't analyse the figures. Just used those given to work out the 10%.

Gilfach

"£12bn a year is small beer"

"£1700bn has been added to the national debt in the last 13 years

Not exactly small beer."

"You need some new batteries for your calculator."

"Assume Feisty was saying £12bn x 13 years = £156bn? That is 9.17% of £1700bn.

(That aside pretty sure the figure has not been a consistent £12bn each year of those 13 years?)"

"That is correct. I didn't analyse the figures. Just used those given to work out the 10%."

It's obvious now that it's been explained. That'll teach me to post things when I'm tired.

Having looked up the figures, foreign aid hasn't been consistent over the years (it's increasing), but it does average about £12bn per year over the past 13 years, so it is indeed close to 10% of the increase in national debt.

Gilfach

"I read that the hotel cost for accommodating immigrants is coming from the foreign aid budget which means the the money actually going to other countries is reduced in the last couple of years. This is the source:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/asylum-hotels-migrants-aid-spending-b2309613.html"

This is true. For 2022 the "in-donor" allocation was £3.7bn, with "in-donor" being the FCDO's phrase for aid given to foreigners that are inside the UK.

By *AFKA HovisMan 33 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

I get the argument. Does Aid reinforce bad behaviours and incentivise governments to not look after their own.

But I suspect that governments will still shit on (some) of their people without aid. Do we ignore this ?

The local analogy is saying we shouldn't donate to charity because we have a space and nuclear program and that we are encouraging HMG to not look after their own.

You may agree with that argument but it's unlikely your decision will change the mind of HMG. And people will suffer.

By *irldnCouple 33 weeks ago

Brighton

The idea that Foreign Aid is all altruistic and charitable is rather naive and silly.

While there is an element of that, a major driver is increasing UK influence in potential emerging markets to create favourable conditions for British trade and companies. Improve the living conditions in poor countries and eventually you create consumer markets.

China have done this (particularly in Africa) on a huge scale.

Terra Firma

Not exactly small beer.

Take away the % miscalculation, what is your view on £12 billion? is it or is it not a significant amount of money?

It’s about 6 weeks worth of Brexit losses, for context "

How do you work that out?

Gilfach

£1700bn has been added to the national debt in the last 13 years"

Not exactly small beer."

"It’s about 6 weeks worth of Brexit losses, for context"

"How do you work that out? "

I suspect that he hasn't worked it out at all, he's just quoted a random number that 'sounds about right'. I'd love to be proved wrong though.

Bournemouth

Not exactly small beer.

How do you work that out? "

He's using the 100b/year figure I suspect.

Gilfach

£1700bn has been added to the national debt in the last 13 years"

Not exactly small beer."

"It’s about 6 weeks worth of Brexit losses, for context"

"How do you work that out?"

"He's using the 100b/year figure I suspect."

That would be rather foolish. That figure has been shown to be incorrect, and there was a discussion about it in this forum recently, in which he took part. Using such a figure would show that he's not interested in facts, he just wants to vent his anger at a political decision that didn't go his way.

By *otlovefun42Couple 33 weeks ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"It's long overdue this ongoing subsidy was stopped. And before the lefties cry racist I'll tell you why in my opinion. Stop giving to govts that, in many cases, don't need the money, certainly not if they have space or nuclear programmes.

Which country with a space or nuclear programme do you think receives foreign aid from the UK?"

Last time I looked I think Britain was still giving foreign aid to India.

A nuclear power that has just landed a probe on the moon.

Bournemouth

Not exactly small beer.

That would be rather foolish. That figure has been shown to be incorrect, and there was a discussion about it in this forum recently, in which he took part. Using such a figure would show that he's not interested in facts, he just wants to vent his anger at a political decision that didn't go his way."

Come on mate, you're quite a smart guy

Not exactly small beer.

That would be rather foolish. That figure has been shown to be incorrect, and there was a discussion about it in this forum recently, in which he took part. Using such a figure would show that he's not interested in facts, he just wants to vent his anger at a political decision that didn't go his way."

You’re overthinking things. The emoji was the giveaway, mucker.

Gilfach

"It's long overdue this ongoing subsidy was stopped. And before the lefties cry racist I'll tell you why in my opinion. Stop giving to govts that, in many cases, don't need the money, certainly not if they have space or nuclear programmes."

"Which country with a space or nuclear programme do you think receives foreign aid from the UK?"

"Last time I looked I think Britain was still giving foreign aid to India.

A nuclear power that has just landed a probe on the moon."

You should look again. The UK stopped giving said money to the Indian government in 2015.

The FCDO does still invest in India, spending £33.4m in 'aid' last year, but that money goes as investments in companies with the intention of developing trade with the UK.

Gilfach

"You’re overthinking things. The emoji was the giveaway, mucker."

So just made-up numbers then. Thanks for helping me out.

"You’re overthinking things. The emoji was the giveaway, mucker.

So just made-up numbers then. Thanks for helping me out."

Yesterday you were policing who can reply to who, today you’re snapping off because someone makes a tongue-in-cheek post.

I thought Twitter was a bad place to chat politics, but it’s got nothing on fabs

Bournemouth

Yesterday you were policing who can reply to who, today you’re snapping off because someone makes a tongue-in-cheek post.

I thought Twitter was a bad place to chat politics, but it’s got nothing on fabs "

Or you were being fully serious, whilst dressing it up as tongue in cheek.

That's more you're style. Throw figures around often enough and people will believe them, as is evident with your figure

I thought Twitter was a bad place to chat politics, but it’s got nothing on fabs

That's more you're style. Throw figures around often enough and people will believe them, as is evident with your figure "

And you’re still very much on-brand assuming you know what others are posting and they don’t

Let’s tidy it up, shall we?

The £12bn figure is x number of weeks worth of Brexit losses, where x is the weekly loss incurred by the U.K due to leaving the EU.

That’s factually accurate, but it lacks the humour. I think I prefer the original

Bournemouth

That's more you're style. Throw figures around often enough and people will believe them, as is evident with your figure

And you’re still very much on-brand assuming you know what others are posting and they don’t

The £12bn figure is x number of weeks worth of Brexit losses, where x is the weekly loss incurred by the U.K due to leaving the EU.

That’s factually accurate, but it lacks the humour. I think I prefer the original "

Oops. Hook, line and sinker

That’s factually accurate, but it lacks the humour. I think I prefer the original

Oops. Hook, line and sinker "

Nah, just posting according to the fabs forum rules as set down by the authorities here. Don’t want to upset them lest they start policing the place further.

Gilfach

"Yesterday you were policing who can reply to who, today you’re snapping off because someone makes a tongue-in-cheek post."

"Snapping off"?

"I thought Twitter was a bad place to chat politics, but it’s got nothing on fabs"

I agree that this isn't the best place to discuss politics. There are too many talkers and not enough listeners. But you weren't talking politics were you, you were just having a dig.

Bournemouth

Oops. Hook, line and sinker

Nah, just posting according to the fabs forum rules as set down by the authorities here. Don’t want to upset them lest they start policing the place further. "

Nope. You missed the very emoji that you thought you were allowed to use but not I

Gilfach

"Let’s tidy it up, shall we?

That’s factually accurate, but it lacks the humour. I think I prefer the original"

That doesn't actually tidy it up. You've not mentioned where you got your weekly loss figure from. I see that you're claiming it as "factually accurate", so it's bound to be a rock solid source. Would you like to tell us what it is?

That doesn't actually tidy it up. You've not mentioned where you got your weekly loss figure from. I see that you're claiming it as "factually accurate", so it's bound to be a rock solid source. Would you like to tell us what it is?"

Brexit has a cost. We know that, you’ve admitted it yourself. So that cost, whatever it is, is x.

You’ve really gone too hard on an amusing throwaway comment, haven’t you?

Gilfach

That’s factually accurate, but it lacks the humour. I think I prefer the original"

"That doesn't actually tidy it up. You've not mentioned where you got your weekly loss figure from. I see that you're claiming it as "factually accurate", so it's bound to be a rock solid source. Would you like to tell us what it is?"

"Brexit has a cost. We know that, you’ve admitted it yourself. So that cost, whatever it is, is x.

You’ve really gone too hard on an amusing throwaway comment, haven’t you? "

So just to make sure I've understood you, you're saying that there's a cost, but you don't know what that cost is, so earlier on you just made some stuff up for a laugh.

Have I got that right?

By *idnight RamblerMan 33 weeks ago

Pershore

There would be a stronger argument if the money was put to good use. But much of it ends up in some despot's slush funds in a Swiss bank.

By *AFKA HovisMan 33 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"There would be a stronger argument if the money was put to good use. But much of it ends up in some despot's slush funds in a Swiss bank. "
are we talking foreign aid or brexit ?

By *eroy1000Man 33 weeks ago

milton keynes

That doesn't actually tidy it up. You've not mentioned where you got your weekly loss figure from. I see that you're claiming it as "factually accurate", so it's bound to be a rock solid source. Would you like to tell us what it is?

Brexit has a cost. We know that, you’ve admitted it yourself. So that cost, whatever it is, is x.

You’ve really gone too hard on an amusing throwaway comment, haven’t you? "

So we could say X=12 billion weeks I guess if we are just plucking figures

By *eroy1000Man 33 weeks ago

milton keynes

"It's long overdue this ongoing subsidy was stopped. And before the lefties cry racist I'll tell you why in my opinion. Stop giving to govts that, in many cases, don't need the money, certainly not if they have space or nuclear programmes.

Which country with a space or nuclear programme do you think receives foreign aid from the UK?

You should look again. The UK stopped giving said money to the Indian government in 2015.

The FCDO does still invest in India, spending £33.4m in 'aid' last year, but that money goes as investments in companies with the intention of developing trade with the UK."

I'm pretty sure the Indian space program pre dates 2015 which means the UK was giving aid to a country with a space program. Unless the aid was not standard foreign aid but instead investment

By *ostindreamsMan 33 weeks ago

London

The FCDO does still invest in India, spending £33.4m in 'aid' last year, but that money goes as investments in companies with the intention of developing trade with the UK.

I'm pretty sure the Indian space program pre dates 2015 which means the UK was giving aid to a country with a space program. Unless the aid was not standard foreign aid but instead investment"

India started phasing out receiving foreign aid in 2004. By 2016, India became a net donor. The space program of India started around 1969 itself. But India did not see the space program as a vanity project but as an investment.

By *oubleswing2019Man 33 weeks ago

Colchester

"It's long overdue this ongoing subsidy was stopped. And before the lefties cry racist I'll tell you why in my opinion. "

As Fun Fella said previously, it's all about Soft Power.

It's nothing to to with "lefties" or whatever hard-on you seem to derive from bashing liberal-minded folks.

Soft power is not a form of idealism or liberalism. It is simply a form of power, one way of getting desired outcomes.

To get other countries do to what we want, we use soft power. We co-opt, instead of coerce.

China are not investing massively in African countries out of the goodness of their heart. They are projecting soft power. I don't think anyone can reasonably call China "Liberal". Quite the reverse.

If we don't project soft power, countries ideologically opposed to us will.

If we really want to make a success of Brexit, we need to project even more power in the world, not less.

We told the EU we are Big Boys now, so we better start acting like the Superpower the Brexiters told us we were. Apparently.

Bournemouth

"It's long overdue this ongoing subsidy was stopped. And before the lefties cry racist I'll tell you why in my opinion.

As Fun Fella said previously, it's all about Soft Power.

It's nothing to to with "lefties" or whatever hard-on you seem to derive from bashing liberal-minded folks.

Soft power is not a form of idealism or liberalism. It is simply a form of power, one way of getting desired outcomes.

To get other countries do to what we want, we use soft power. We co-opt, instead of coerce.

China are not investing massively in African countries out of the goodness of their heart. They are projecting soft power. I don't think anyone can reasonably call China "Liberal". Quite the reverse.

If we don't project soft power, countries ideologically opposed to us will.

If we really want to make a success of Brexit, we need to project even more power in the world, not less.

We told the EU we are Big Boys now, so we better start acting like the Superpower the Brexiters told us we were. Apparently."

You were doing oh so well and then got the Brexit Bashing hard-on. Shame.

How is "foreign aid" defined, especially to India? Here's an interesting article:-

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2023/mar/14/uk-aid-india-human-rights-democracy-watchdog

Bess

By *oubleswing2019Man 33 weeks ago

Colchester

"You were doing oh so well and then got the Brexit Bashing hard-on. Shame. "

Lol ! I'm told that Remainers need to support Brexit. So it felt appropriate to say, "Well come on then, start projecting and acting like a Superpower. And Superpowers spend hard on soft-power. They don't let it go soft or flaccid.".

By *orleymanMan 33 weeks ago

Leeds

Foreign aid is meant to to sit around 0.7% of gdp I think

I jave bo problem using this money fkr asylum seekers and refugees its aid to people from foreign countries.

We do still give money to India for development. No problem with this butnwitha trade deal going forward shouldn't be necessary.

There's a fair bit of overlap from whay used to be dfid and foreign aid too.

And I think dfid has now rolled into another uk department.

If we are about 0.7% ( If I remember correctly) I don't care if we are a little bit or above.

By *coptoCouple 33 weeks ago

Côte d'Azur & Great Yarmouth

"How is "foreign aid" defined"

Taking money from poor people in rich countries and giving it to rich people in poor countries...

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple 32 weeks ago

Newcastle under Lyme

'Foreign Aid' is just politically correct speak for 'Bribe' or 'Weapons Dealing'

» Add a new message to this topic