FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Are Laws on Refugees fit for purpose?

Are Laws on Refugees fit for purpose?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *deepdive OP   Man 32 weeks ago

France / Birmingham

Braverman questions whether the current rules are still fit for purpose given the status of migrants crossing, not only to the UK and Europe but globally.

I tend to agree that the rules need to reviewed as things have changed since the 50's when they were put in place to save those being persecuted but that doesn't mean that we simply close our borders.

The whole global position with refugees moving due to climate change, persecution, wars etc. needs to be addressed as it simply cannot go on as it is currently.

We need a solution and to simply close borders is not the answer.

To open borders and welcome everyone won't work either so where do we go?

This needs a grown up discussion and a plan with the more wealthy countries are going to have to accept that they are going to have to either take in refugees or pay for some means to improve their lot where they live.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *illan-KillashMan 32 weeks ago

London/Sussex/Surrey/Berks/Hants

"Braverman questions whether the current rules are still fit for purpose given the status of migrants crossing, not only to the UK and Europe but globally.

I tend to agree that the rules need to reviewed as things have changed since the 50's when they were put in place to save those being persecuted but that doesn't mean that we simply close our borders.

The whole global position with refugees moving due to climate change, persecution, wars etc. needs to be addressed as it simply cannot go on as it is currently.

This needs a grown up discussion and a plan with the more wealthy countries are going to have to accept that they are going to have to either take in refugees or pay for some means to improve their lot where they live.

"

The subject definitely needs a grown up discussion. Probably not going to happen here though.

By *addad99Man 32 weeks ago

Rotherham /newquay

No there not fit for purpose some things need totally re writing.hopfully should help more people than hinder.

By *astandFeistyCouple 32 weeks ago

Bournemouth

Good luck

By *otMe66Man 32 weeks ago

Terra Firma

Like many things, society changes and with it the laws and ways of living.

It is certainly a time to revisit the criteria and sense check its effectiveness in modern day UK

By *deepdive OP   Man 32 weeks ago

France / Birmingham

"Like many things, society changes and with it the laws and ways of living.

It is certainly a time to revisit the criteria and sense check its effectiveness in modern day UK"

Not just the UK - this is not simply a UK issue

Terra Firma

It is certainly a time to revisit the criteria and sense check its effectiveness in modern day UK

Not just the UK - this is not simply a UK issue "

Isn’t that why Beaverman is asking the question to a wider audience?

And surely, It is okay for us as a country to question what is right or wrong? We can’t control other countries borders, only our own.

By *astandFeistyCouple 32 weeks ago

Bournemouth

Not just the UK - this is not simply a UK issue "

You're right. NY mayor previously said New York will always be a 'sanctuary city', now he says there's so many, it'll destroy New York.

No country or city in the world can sustain unlimited immigration.

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple 32 weeks ago

Newcastle under Lyme

No, they aren't. They came about after the industrial culling of Jews by Nazi Germany and modern migration reasons are not the same.

By *ustintime69Man 32 weeks ago

Bristol

I am afraid the reason Braverman is asking the question is because she want’s attention in the run up to the Tories losing the next general election. It’s got nothing to do with the problem and everything to do with her wanting to be the leader of a new even more right wing Tory party.

By *uietbloke67Man 32 weeks ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

"I am afraid the reason Braverman is asking the question is because she want’s attention in the run up to the Tories losing the next general election. It’s got nothing to do with the problem and everything to do with her wanting to be the leader of a new even more right wing Tory party."

Same old Tories....isn't not our fault its

Europe

UN

China

Councils

Ukraine war

Criminals.

French - Those French

Private companies

Labour - 14 years ago soon

Last Tory Governement - take your pic from the last tory government made up of this tory government -1

Look over there....that's your problem policy

By *exy_HornyCouple 32 weeks ago

Leigh

"I am afraid the reason Braverman is asking the question is because she want’s attention in the run up to the Tories losing the next general election. It’s got nothing to do with the problem and everything to do with her wanting to be the leader of a new even more right wing Tory party.

Europe

UN

China

Councils

Ukraine war

Criminals.

French - Those French

Private companies

Last Tory Governement - take your pic from the last tory government made up of this tory government -1

Look over there....that's your problem policy "

Whereas in reality it is the leftie wokie civil service and judicial blob that thwarts any good policies by inaction or legal challenge.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 32 weeks ago

golden fields

"I am afraid the reason Braverman is asking the question is because she want’s attention in the run up to the Tories losing the next general election. It’s got nothing to do with the problem and everything to do with her wanting to be the leader of a new even more right wing Tory party.

Europe

UN

China

Councils

Ukraine war

Criminals.

French - Those French

Private companies

Whereas in reality it is the leftie wokie civil service and judicial blob that thwarts any good policies by inaction or legal challenge."

Should this 'non-racist' blob that you've imagined into existence, allow illegal policies to be made into law?

Leigh

Europe

UN

China

Councils

Ukraine war

Criminals.

French - Those French

Private companies

Whereas in reality it is the leftie wokie civil service and judicial blob that thwarts any good policies by inaction or legal challenge.

Should this 'non-racist' blob that you've imagined into existence, allow illegal policies to be made into law?"

It has nothing to do with race.

What "illegal" policies are you specifically referring to?

By (user no longer on site) 32 weeks ago

Europe

UN

China

Councils

Ukraine war

Criminals.

French - Those French

Private companies

Whereas in reality it is the leftie wokie civil service and judicial blob that thwarts any good policies by inaction or legal challenge."

‘Leftie wokie civil service’

I love the high level political debate on this forum.

By *iman2100Man 32 weeks ago

Glasgow

Migration is as old as mankind. Humanity has always travelled from one place to another seeking a better life.

Nothing will prevent it totally as there is always a good number who will believe the grass is greener elsewhere.

Britain has long been viewed as a good place to live. Many migrants learn a bit of English in school so feel survival here is slightly easier. They hear we tend to treat migrants almost fairly.

Migration will however only increase exponentially in the future. Wars and political upheval will be augmented by, and then overcome by, the affects of climate change.

To keep them out the people will call for, and pass, stricter and stricter Laws. Ultimately only the draconian policy of summary execution at the border will remain.

And before you dismiss that out of hand remember how, within only a few years Germany went from a well balanced, multicultural, society to having ordinary German men summarily executing men, women and children. The near future is not looking like a good place to be at present.

golden fields

Europe

UN

China

Councils

Ukraine war

Criminals.

French - Those French

Private companies

Should this 'non-racist' blob that you've imagined into existence, allow illegal policies to be made into law?

"

Then why bring it into the conversation?

"

What "illegal" policies are you specifically referring to?"

No idea, you brought in the legal challenges.

By *oo hotCouple 32 weeks ago

North West

"Braverman questions whether the current rules are still fit for purpose given the status of migrants crossing, not only to the UK and Europe but globally.

"

In my opinion, the big takeaway from that speech was the absolutely ridiculous statement that "multiculturalism hasn't worked."

Leigh

"

"

I prefer the Urban Dictionary definition of Woke. People who consider themselves to be enlightened and compassionate while in reality having very closed minds, particularly to those who don't subscribe to the "progressive" brainwashing they peddle.

"

"

The legal challenges are made specifically to muddy the waters and play on the liberal judiciary who have taken increasingly wide interpretations of the law.

North West

"

I prefer the Urban Dictionary definition of Woke. People who consider themselves to be enlightened and compassionate while in reality having very closed minds, particularly to those who don't subscribe to the "progressive" brainwashing they peddle.

The legal challenges are made specifically to muddy the waters and play on the liberal judiciary who have taken increasingly wide interpretations of the law. "

Got to love a made-up explanation of the meaning of a word, rather than the actual definition of the meaning of the word.

By *addad99Man 32 weeks ago

Rotherham /newquay

In my opinion, the big takeaway from that speech was the absolutely ridiculous statement that "multiculturalism hasn't worked.""

some places it has others it's shit I for one don't believe it's worked

golden fields

"

"

Might be worth specifying this, otherwise we might assume you're using the real life dictionary definition.

"

The legal challenges are made specifically to muddy the waters and play on the liberal judiciary who have taken increasingly wide interpretations of the law. "

Do you have any examples of this?

You present an extremely bizarre view of the civil service, so it seems reasonable to ask for examples.

golden fields

In my opinion, the big takeaway from that speech was the absolutely ridiculous statement that "multiculturalism hasn't worked." some places it has others it's shit I for one don't believe it's worked "

It works perfectly well for all normal people.

By *melie LALWoman 32 weeks ago

Peterborough

In my opinion, the big takeaway from that speech was the absolutely ridiculous statement that "multiculturalism hasn't worked." some places it has others it's shit I for one don't believe it's worked "

Really?

Ever read history? There are very few true Britons, hint they (or their ancestors) speak Gaelic.

North West

If it hadn’t worked, she herself wouldn’t ups never have achieved the position that she has been put in to be able to make that speech. Similarly we wouldn’t have a Hindu Prime Minister and a Secretary of State for Business who is of Nigerian descent. Not to mention figures such as Nazadeem Zahawi and Kwasi Kwarteng who have both recently served in Government.

Last bit not least, if it wasn’t for multiculturism, Indian restaurants would not be our favourite eateries and Chicken Tikka Massala would not be the nations favourite dish.

By *uddy laneMan 32 weeks ago

dudley

It does not work, recently around by me, Nigerians in their national dress fighting with muslims, sikhs fighting with muslims, Lithuanians fighting with Romanians. sectarian violence on the street's is not wanted or asked for.

golden fields

"It does not work, recently around by me, Nigerians in their national dress fighting with muslims, sikhs fighting with muslims, Lithuanians fighting with Romanians. sectarian violence on the street's is not wanted or asked for. "

Is this real, sounds like you live in a UKIP promotional video.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 32 weeks ago

Gilfach

"I prefer the Urban Dictionary definition of Woke. People who consider themselves to be enlightened and compassionate while in reality having very closed minds, particularly to those who don't subscribe to the "progressive" brainwashing they peddle."

"Might be worth specifying this, otherwise we might assume you're using the real life dictionary definition."

Perhaps you should read a dictionary or two yourself, and realise that 'woke' and 'not-racist' are not synonyms, just as 'not woke' and 'racist' are not defined as being the same thing

golden fields

"I prefer the Urban Dictionary definition of Woke. People who consider themselves to be enlightened and compassionate while in reality having very closed minds, particularly to those who don't subscribe to the "progressive" brainwashing they peddle.

Might be worth specifying this, otherwise we might assume you're using the real life dictionary definition.

Perhaps you should read a dictionary or two yourself, and realise that 'woke' and 'not-racist' are not synonyms, just as 'not woke' and 'racist' are not defined as being the same thing "

Indeed, but it's a short hand way of summarising the meaning. Which is a lot closer than the rhubarb the other poster put in here. Which you didn't seem to pick up on.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 32 weeks ago

Gilfach

"I prefer the Urban Dictionary definition of Woke. People who consider themselves to be enlightened and compassionate while in reality having very closed minds, particularly to those who don't subscribe to the "progressive" brainwashing they peddle."

"Might be worth specifying this, otherwise we might assume you're using the real life dictionary definition."

"Perhaps you should read a dictionary or two yourself, and realise that 'woke' and 'not-racist' are not synonyms, just as 'not woke' and 'racist' are not defined as being the same thing."

"Indeed, but it's a short hand way of summarising the meaning. Which is a lot closer than the rhubarb the other poster put in here. Which you didn't seem to pick up on."

While the other bloke's definition was clearly intended to be humorous, there are many people that use the word 'woke' to mean roughly what he said. It is true that the wokest people I know are also among the most bigoted people I know.

English language dictionaries do not tell you how a word *should be* used, they record the way in which words *are* used. It won't be long before the dictionary definition of 'woke' gets a second paragraph.

golden fields

"I prefer the Urban Dictionary definition of Woke. People who consider themselves to be enlightened and compassionate while in reality having very closed minds, particularly to those who don't subscribe to the "progressive" brainwashing they peddle.

Perhaps you should read a dictionary or two yourself, and realise that 'woke' and 'not-racist' are not synonyms, just as 'not woke' and 'racist' are not defined as being the same thing.

Indeed, but it's a short hand way of summarising the meaning. Which is a lot closer than the rhubarb the other poster put in here. Which you didn't seem to pick up on.

While the other bloke's definition was clearly intended to be humorous, there are many people that use the word 'woke' to mean roughly what he said. It is true that the wokest people I know are also among the most bigoted people I know.

English language dictionaries do not tell you how a word *should be* used, they record the way in which words *are* used. It won't be long before the dictionary definition of 'woke' gets a second paragraph."

Many people also use the word as per the dictionary definition. Makes sense, seeing as it's the dictionary, and it's the definition.

But I agree. Lots of people who feel like their safe space to be prejudice against others based on nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation etc use "woke" to lash out against those who they feel are making it harder to be openly bigoted.

Often I’ve found those who use the words ‘woke’ and ‘snowflake’ as pejorative terms tend to be the most easily upset by simple things like sexual identity, race or workers rights

By *uddy laneMan 32 weeks ago

dudley

"It does not work, recently around by me, Nigerians in their national dress fighting with muslims, sikhs fighting with muslims, Lithuanians fighting with Romanians. sectarian violence on the street's is not wanted or asked for.

Is this real, sounds like you live in a UKIP promotional video."

I don't watch them myself, if they do show the kind of violence I stated, then yeah I guess I do live in a UKIP promotional video.

"

We Brits are a mongrel race who owe our very existence to multiculturalism.

Terra Firma

[Removed by poster at 27/09/23 18:51:53]

Terra Firma

"

In my opinion, the big takeaway from that speech was the absolutely ridiculous statement that "multiculturalism hasn't worked." some places it has others it's shit I for one don't believe it's worked

We Brits are a mongrel race who owe our very existence to multiculturalism."

Timeframes and how many is multi and how many together at anyone time?

"

In my opinion, the big takeaway from that speech was the absolutely ridiculous statement that "multiculturalism hasn't worked." some places it has others it's shit I for one don't believe it's worked

Timeframes and how many is multi and how many together at anyone time?"

Well the Romans took less than 50 years to take Brittania. Improved it immensely too

Terra Firma

"

Well the Romans took less than 50 years to take Brittania. Improved it immensely too "

Not disputing the Romans, French, Saxons etc. However they came as a group and there were large time frames in between invasions.

So not really multi, but definitely culturally

"It does not work, recently around by me, Nigerians in their national dress fighting with muslims, sikhs fighting with muslims, Lithuanians fighting with Romanians. sectarian violence on the street's is not wanted or asked for. "

I thought a good fight was part of British culture. Shouldn't you be happy they are trying to integrate.

Not just the UK - this is not simply a UK issue

Isn’t that why Beaverman is asking the question to a wider audience?

And surely, It is okay for us as a country to question what is right or wrong? We can’t control other countries borders, only our own.

"

Britain controls its borders, love it

golden fields

"

Well the Romans took less than 50 years to take Brittania. Improved it immensely too

Not disputing the Romans, French, Saxons etc. However they came as a group and there were large time frames in between invasions.

So not really multi, but definitely culturally "

And they weren't brown.

Terra Firma

"

And they weren't brown."

What has colour of skin got to do with armies and countries that have invaded Britain in the past?

golden fields

"

And they weren't brown.

What has colour of skin got to do with armies and countries that have invaded Britain in the past? "

I thought were were listing differences between people invading Britain in the past, and a few people in small boats cross the channel now-a-days.

"

So not really multi, but definitely culturally "

The Romans were very much multi-cultural in that their forces came from across Europe and Africa. Though all considered themselves Roman. Just as I suppose Brits regard themselves as Brits regardless of religion, skin colour or anything else.

Terra Firma

"

The Romans were very much multi-cultural in that their forces came from across Europe and Africa. Though all considered themselves Roman. Just as I suppose Brits regard themselves as Brits regardless of religion, skin colour or anything else."

True, but it was singular cultural change, over time

By *uietbloke67Man 32 weeks ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

Europe

UN

China

Councils

Ukraine war

Criminals.

French - Those French

Private companies

I think you are referring to the law.

Peterborough

"

And they weren't brown."

Cheddar man was.

Bristol

I guess the real problem we have is that there haven’t been any major wars in the EU since it was established and that makes it quite an attractive place if you are trying to escape a war zone….perhaps the best way of us stopping the boats is for us to go to war with the EU

By *ister temporary siteMan 32 weeks ago

stoke

I can't think of anything worse than discussing Suella Braverman on a swingers website...but if there's anyone who isn't to the right of Nigel Farage who's looking for similar, give us a shout. I don't know what it is with swingers, but too often I've met someone super sexy only to find later that our politics are too different for the long term.

Can you be sex goddess AND a progressive? Oh please god...

By *ister temporary siteMan 32 weeks ago

stoke

"It does not work, recently around by me, Nigerians in their national dress fighting with muslims, sikhs fighting with muslims, Lithuanians fighting with Romanians. sectarian violence on the street's is not wanted or asked for.

Is this real, sounds like you live in a UKIP promotional video.

I don't watch them myself, if they do show the kind of violence I stated, then yeah I guess I do live in a UKIP promotional video. "

It sounds horrible round your way.Everyone fighting in national dress you say? Sounds a bit weird. Maybe there's something in the water? I live in Manchester. There's folk of all colours and kinds and we mostly get on pretty well. Sometimes we even have sex with each other...wait a minute, isn't that what this site is for?

Bristol

"I can't think of anything worse than discussing Suella Braverman on a swingers website...but if there's anyone who isn't to the right of Nigel Farage who's looking for similar, give us a shout. I don't know what it is with swingers, but too often I've met someone super sexy only to find later that our politics are too different for the long term.

Can you be sex goddess AND a progressive? Oh please god..."

Now that would be a damn fine topic for the politics forum

Peterborough

"I can't think of anything worse than discussing Suella Braverman on a swingers website...but if there's anyone who isn't to the right of Nigel Farage who's looking for similar, give us a shout. I don't know what it is with swingers, but too often I've met someone super sexy only to find later that our politics are too different for the long term.

Can you be sex goddess AND a progressive? Oh please god..."

You called

» Add a new message to this topic