FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Hunt to slim down Civil Service

Hunt to slim down Civil Service

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *exy_Horny OP   Couple 33 weeks ago

Leigh

By cutting woke non-jobs first.

Good, but I'll believe it when I see it. The blob will fight back and try to thwart any good ideas along these lines.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site) 33 weeks ago

"By cutting woke non-jobs first.

Good, but I'll believe it when I see it. The blob will fight back and try to thwart any good ideas along these lines."

What’s a woke non-job? Any examples?

Leigh

Good, but I'll believe it when I see it. The blob will fight back and try to thwart any good ideas along these lines.

What’s a woke non-job? Any examples?"

Equality and diversity manager, or any similar rubbish for starters.

Equality and diversity manager, or any similar rubbish for starters."

Why is ensuring equality and diversity in the workplace ‘rubbish’, in your opinion?

Leigh

Why is ensuring equality and diversity in the workplace ‘rubbish’, in your opinion? "

Nobody should be discriminated against for any reason however we don't need the thought police to indoctrinate.

A whole industry has grown up on the back of perceived injustice.

Why is ensuring equality and diversity in the workplace ‘rubbish’, in your opinion?

Nobody should be discriminated against for any reason however we don't need the thought police to indoctrinate.

A whole industry has grown up on the back of perceived injustice."

Indoctrinate? Perceived injustice?

May I ask your particular experience of discrimination in the workplace?

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 33 weeks ago

golden fields

[Removed by poster at 04/10/23 08:26:30]

golden fields

"

Nobody should be discriminated against for any reason however"

Except the "woke". Those non-racists should never be allowed to work anywhere.

golden fields

"

A whole industry has grown up on the back of perceived injustice."

There was a recent report that shows 1 in 5 people in the UK have experienced discrimination in the work place.

Are you suggesting that this is:

A. Bollocks.

B. Not enough.

Leigh

"

There was a recent report that shows 1 in 5 people in the UK have experienced discrimination in the work place.

A. Bollocks.

B. Not enough."

Neither.

For A, if it is genuine discrimination then that is a poor reflection on society. If it is some snowflake setting out to be offended or look for signs of discrimination then it may be bollocks.

For B. As I said, nobody should be discriminated against. Any discrimination is too much however the culture of looking for offence and discrimination everywhere is also bollocks.

"

A. Bollocks.

B. Not enough.

Neither.

For A, if it is genuine discrimination then that is a poor reflection on society. If it is some snowflake setting out to be offended or look for signs of discrimination then it may be bollocks.

For B. As I said, nobody should be discriminated against. Any discrimination is too much however the culture of looking for offence and discrimination everywhere is also bollocks."

Do you have evidence that there is a ‘culture of looking for offence and discrimination everywhere’? - or is it something you’ve invented?

Leigh

"

A. Bollocks.

B. Not enough.

Neither.

For B. As I said, nobody should be discriminated against. Any discrimination is too much however the culture of looking for offence and discrimination everywhere is also bollocks.

Do you have evidence that there is a ‘culture of looking for offence and discrimination everywhere’? - or is it something you’ve invented?"

You don't need to look far on any news site to see examples.

Cancel culture is one, for example the only good cartoon in the paper was cancelled due to one stupid social media post. So I am struggling to find a desk calendar for next year.

"

A. Bollocks.

B. Not enough.

Neither.

Do you have evidence that there is a ‘culture of looking for offence and discrimination everywhere’? - or is it something you’ve invented?

Cancel culture is one, for example the only good cartoon in the paper was cancelled due to one stupid social media post. So I am struggling to find a desk calendar for next year."

No, why would you want evidence to back up your claims that there is a ‘culture of looking for offence and discrimination everywhere’?

I’m sure you can find a nice desk calendar with some snowflakes on it.

golden fields

"

A. Bollocks.

B. Not enough.

Neither.

For B. As I said, nobody should be discriminated against. Any discrimination is too much however the culture of looking for offence and discrimination everywhere is also bollocks."

What a bizarre view of the world you have.

Who are these people who you think are "snowflakes"?

Meanwhile in the real world, workplace discrimination is a real genuine problem.

golden fields

"

A. Bollocks.

B. Not enough.

Neither.

Cancel culture is one, for example the only good cartoon in the paper was cancelled due to one stupid social media post. So I am struggling to find a desk calendar for next year."

A cartoon?

You were talking about workplace discrimination not being real.

Leigh

"

A. Bollocks.

B. Not enough.

Neither.

Cancel culture is one, for example the only good cartoon in the paper was cancelled due to one stupid social media post. So I am struggling to find a desk calendar for next year.

A cartoon?

You were talking about workplace discrimination not being real."

It isn't, unless you are white, male and middle aged. In that case, discrimination against you will be rife.

"

A. Bollocks.

B. Not enough.

Neither.

A cartoon?

It isn't, unless you are white, male and middle aged. In that case, discrimination against you will be rife."

Now I know you’re trolling.

golden fields

"

A. Bollocks.

B. Not enough.

Neither.

A cartoon?

It isn't, unless you are white, male and middle aged. In that case, discrimination against you will be rife.

Now I know you’re trolling. "

Lol. Case closed.

I don't know if OP is for real or not.

But I am sure there are some Alf Garnets still out there feeling like they are a victim because they're no longer as privileged as they once were.

Leigh

"

Nobody should be discriminated against for any reason however

Except the "woke". Those non-racists should never be allowed to work anywhere. "

No, people should not be discriminated against at all however they should get a proper job not be one of the non-job parasites who infest society at the moment.

"

No, people should not be discriminated against at all however they should get a proper job not be one of the non-job parasites who infest society at the moment."

Maybe you should get a job as arbitrator of acceptable jobs.

Leigh

"

No, people should not be discriminated against at all however they should get a proper job not be one of the non-job parasites who infest society at the moment.

Maybe you should get a job as arbitrator of acceptable jobs."

Nope, it would not take very long to them out. An hour or two at the most, so not a long term career.

golden fields

"

Maybe you should get a job as arbitrator of acceptable jobs.

Nope, it would not take very long to them out. An hour or two at the most, so not a long term career."

I don't know, those pesky "wokes" might come back.

Maybe every workplace should have armed guards to shoot them if they try to apply for a job?

golden fields

"

No, people should not be discriminated against at all however they should get a proper job not be one of the non-job parasites who infest society at the moment."

Ironically, I think that people like you are why these jobs have to exist.

By *astandFeistyCouple 33 weeks ago

Bournemouth

Are we actually trying to argue that there isn't a culture of 'where there's blame, there's a claim'?

It's been happening in this country for at least 20-30 years. You'd have to have been asleep the whole time to not see it.

Leigh

"

Ironically, I think that people like you are why these jobs have to exist. "

Go on, I am interested in why?

I don't discriminate against anyone at all and treat everyone in exactly the same way.

So what can the thought police add to that?

golden fields

"

"

You seem outraged that there are some people employed to make sure discrimination doesn't happen in the workplace.

There is clearly a huge problem with workplace discrimination in this country.

"

I don't discriminate against anyone at all and treat everyone in exactly the same way.

"

Good work.

"

So what can the thought police add to that?"

Who are the thought police and what do you think they're telling you to do or think?

"Are we actually trying to argue that there isn't a culture of 'where there's blame, there's a claim'?

It's been happening in this country for at least 20-30 years. You'd have to have been asleep the whole time to not see it. "

My part partner worked in a bank and that had a procedure whenever that had to sack someone that wasn’t white

The race card was being pulled so often theyd delay sacking someone to give them time to gather evidence for why the sacking was justified

It all started after a higher up pulled the race card and it cost them over a million in court fees just to justify it

There is absolutely a play on using discrimination to get an advantage or pay out these days

Leigh

"

You seem outraged that there are some people employed to make sure discrimination doesn't happen in the workplace.

Good work.

Who are the thought police and what do you think they're telling you to do or think?

"

No outrage, just that it is clearly a complete waste of money.

Where is your evidence and examples of workplace discrimination? I have not seen it in any company where I have worked. Teams have been very diverse, with people of different backgrounds, skin colour, country of origin, religion, sex and sexuality. Nobody was discriminated against, they were measured by ability alone.

The thought police encompass a wide variety of non-jobs and virtue signallers whose business model is to look for and promote division. The amount of time and money wasted on pandering to this vocal minority affects productivity.

"

Good work.

Where is your evidence and examples of workplace discrimination? I have not seen it in any company where I have worked. Teams have been very diverse, with people of different backgrounds, skin colour, country of origin, religion, sex and sexuality. Nobody was discriminated against, they were measured by ability alone.

The thought police encompass a wide variety of non-jobs and virtue signallers whose business model is to look for and promote division. The amount of time and money wasted on pandering to this vocal minority affects productivity."

You know that not all discrimination is overt?

golden fields

"

Good work.

No outrage,

"

Fair enough. But you seem pretty passionate about not having people working towards less workplace discrimination.

"

just that it is clearly a complete waste of money.

"

Not to the people who think workplace discrimination needs to be tackled. Or to those who have been helped.

"

Where is your evidence and examples of workplace discrimination?

"

It's not "my" evidence as I'm not a reporter and don't work in this field.

There are many many reports and investigations into workplace discrimination.

If you're interested, you can start with:

Data collected by Savanta, and reported in August this year.

Ciphr article about 2021 statistics.

If you prefer case studies. Skillcast published a number in March this year.

"

I have not seen it in any company where I have worked. Teams have been very diverse, with people of different backgrounds, skin colour, country of origin, religion, sex and sexuality. Nobody was discriminated against, they were measured by ability alone.

"

Excellent, so the people in charge of making sure there is no discrimination in your workplace are doing a good job.

Yours is one of many workplaces in the country.

"

The thought police encompass a wide variety of non-jobs and virtue signallers whose business model is to look for and promote division. The amount of time and money wasted on pandering to this vocal minority affects productivity."

Never heard of these thought police, nor of any mention of them aside from here. As you asked me for evidence, do you have any for this claim?

Leigh

"

Good work.

The thought police encompass a wide variety of non-jobs and virtue signallers whose business model is to look for and promote division. The amount of time and money wasted on pandering to this vocal minority affects productivity.

You know that not all discrimination is overt?"

So, if people work in a team and all have the same opportunities (based on ability alone). Where is the discrimination? The thought police have to really go looking in that case.

Where there has been problems is as Feisty mentioned above, where someone is useless and the company tries to get rid of them, all sorts of accusations of bias are then made in some cases.

"

Good work.

You know that not all discrimination is overt?

So, if people work in a team and all have the same opportunities (based on ability alone). Where is the discrimination? The thought police have to really go looking in that case.

Where there has been problems is as Feisty mentioned above, where someone is useless and the company tries to get rid of them, all sorts of accusations of bias are then made in some cases."

This is a broad and interesting topic, bringing in subjects like un-conscious bias. It’s worth reading up on.

Leigh

Good, but I'll believe it when I see it. The blob will fight back and try to thwart any good ideas along these lines."

Anyway, back to the original thread.

By *AFKA HovisMan 33 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

From what I can see....

Hunts numbers are effectively to cut it down to pre brexit levels.

Meaning savings of 1bn pa

(Which helps to put a price on Brexit within CS)

He's said that all departments need to do an audit on inclusion staff to see if necessary.

So hasn't even made a definite statement. It's wooly and playing to the woke war crowd.

By *irldnCouple 33 weeks ago

Brighton

"From what I can see....

He's said that all departments need to do an audit on inclusion staff to see if necessary.

So hasn't even made a definite statement. It's wooly and playing to the woke war crowd.

"

It’s a false economy.

Leigh

"From what I can see....

It’s a false economy. "

Why?

Get rid of the non-jobs and improve productivity for the rest. Seems like a sensible plan.

Won't happen due to the resistance of the blob though.

Brighton

"From what I can see....

It’s a false economy.

Why?

Get rid of the non-jobs and improve productivity for the rest. Seems like a sensible plan.

Won't happen due to the resistance of the blob though."

Reducing the size of civil service not any specific “woke” job.

By *ostindreamsMan 33 weeks ago

London

If the focus is to remove the diversity officers or whatever they are called, I am all in favour of it.

Workplace discrimination is an issue that should be dealt with and you have human resource teams to do that.

As a person of colour myself, "diversity recruitment" is just outright discriminatory and patronising. In tech, asians are usually much highly represented than white people or black people. Should companies try to reduce hiring Asians and focus on hiring white and black people?

Not to mention that calling people "diversity hires" is outright insulting. If I got a job or promotion somewhere, it should be because of my performance and not because some patronising bureaucrat at the top decided to increase diversity based on skin colour.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"From what I can see....

It’s a false economy.

Why?

Won't happen due to the resistance of the blob though."

are woke jobs the non jobs ?

By *iman2100Man 33 weeks ago

Glasgow

The scenario is as old as the hills with the Conservatives so let me spell it out in simple steps.

1. For the Con Government to spend money they need Civil Servants to administrate it.

2. To improve popularity they promise to spend £ billions on popular projects.

3. They find some reason to reduce the size of the civil service.

4. They task the depleted Civil Service with spending the money.

5. The civil service fail due to lack of resources and staffing.

6. The conservatives blame the civil service.

7. The goverment announces the privitisation of sections of the civil service to solve the issue.

By *rBandMrsGCouple 33 weeks ago

Kilkenny

"The scenario is as old as the hills with the Conservatives so let me spell it out in simple steps.

1. For the Con Government to spend money they need Civil Servants to administrate it.

7. The goverment announces the privitisation of sections of the civil service to solve the issue.

"

100% spot on with the above, yet sadly many useful idiots think the torys are doing good things.

Brighton

"The scenario is as old as the hills with the Conservatives so let me spell it out in simple steps.

"

Not far off I would say. There’s another point to add...

The work doesn’t go away. So they hire contractors to do it. While day rates for contractors are higher they do not get any employee benefits and can be let go with very little notice. They appear on a different accounting line so govt can say “look we reduced size of civil service and saved £x salary related costs” but if you look over here you will see the savings offset by contingent labour. In addition, the big consultancies can gobble up more work to fill the gaps in civil service resources (which is even more expensive).

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

The work doesn’t go away. So they hire contractors to do it. While day rates for contractors are higher they do not get any employee benefits and can be let go with very little notice. They appear on a different accounting line so govt can say “look we reduced size of civil service and saved £x salary related costs” but if you look over here you will see the savings offset by contingent labour. In addition, the big consultancies can gobble up more work to fill the gaps in civil service resources (which is even more expensive)."

I'd tend to agree but this feels like even more politicking.

It's needed more to get brexit down. Brexit is done. So they are reverting back to size.

This isn't a ground breaking pledge. It's what always should have happened. It's like an employer acting all generous when they say you only have to work your contracted hours after a busy project with no OT. No shit.

And the woke bit is just bait. That they literally told us they'd be using on us.

Am I missing something ? Did they actually say they'd get rid of all woke jobs or was the detail more watered down than doggy pubs heiniken ? Have they promised to go much further than 2016 levels ?

By *astandFeistyCouple 33 weeks ago

Bournemouth

The work doesn’t go away. So they hire contractors to do it. While day rates for contractors are higher they do not get any employee benefits and can be let go with very little notice. They appear on a different accounting line so govt can say “look we reduced size of civil service and saved £x salary related costs” but if you look over here you will see the savings offset by contingent labour. In addition, the big consultancies can gobble up more work to fill the gaps in civil service resources (which is even more expensive).I'd tend to agree but this feels like even more politicking.

It's needed more to get brexit down. Brexit is done. So they are reverting back to size.

This isn't a ground breaking pledge. It's what always should have happened. It's like an employer acting all generous when they say you only have to work your contracted hours after a busy project with no OT. No shit.

And the woke bit is just bait. That they literally told us they'd be using on us.

Am I missing something ? Did they actually say they'd get rid of all woke jobs or was the detail more watered down than doggy pubs heiniken ? Have they promised to go much further than 2016 levels ? "

Hunt didn't use the word "woke".

He said: "I won't lift the hiring freeze until all public sector productivity improves. That means, amongst other things, changing our approach to equality and diversity initiatives. Smashing glass ceilings is everyone's job, not a box to be ticked by hiring a diversity manager."

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

The work doesn’t go away. So they hire contractors to do it. While day rates for contractors are higher they do not get any employee benefits and can be let go with very little notice. They appear on a different accounting line so govt can say “look we reduced size of civil service and saved £x salary related costs” but if you look over here you will see the savings offset by contingent labour. In addition, the big consultancies can gobble up more work to fill the gaps in civil service resources (which is even more expensive).I'd tend to agree but this feels like even more politicking.

Am I missing something ? Did they actually say they'd get rid of all woke jobs or was the detail more watered down than doggy pubs heiniken ? Have they promised to go much further than 2016 levels ?

He said: "I won't lift the hiring freeze until all public sector productivity improves. That means, amongst other things, changing our approach to equality and diversity initiatives. Smashing glass ceilings is everyone's job, not a box to be ticked by hiring a diversity manager.""

did he not talk about an audit of inclusion staff ? I'm going by newspapers ATM who tbf said 'woke' not "woke". It's still a bit of whistle to that election tactic tho, imo at least.

Brighton

Am I missing something ? Did they actually say they'd get rid of all woke jobs or was the detail more watered down than doggy pubs heiniken ? Have they promised to go much further than 2016 levels ? "

I can confidently say the Civil Service is understaffed in certain areas. UKVI and Border Force being just two examples. I am on rockier ground here but I believe the Civil Service was larger under Labour and was reduced between 2010 and 2016/19 then grew back due to Brexit.

It really is cyclical. As a generalisation Labour creates a bigger CS reducing reliance on suppliers and contractors and the Conservatives do the reverse (Brexit being a generational outlier).

Glasgow

He said: "I won't lift the hiring freeze until all public sector productivity improves. That means, amongst other things, changing our approach to equality and diversity initiatives. Smashing glass ceilings is everyone's job, not a box to be ticked by hiring a diversity manager.""

The beatings will continue until moral improves!!

Where is the evidence that "equality and diversity initiatives" have affected productivity?

The conservatives need no encouragement to reduce the size of the civil service. Their hiring freeze means that all the oldest and most experience civil servants retire and middle managers will replace them. Juniors then move up but no new juniors are taken on. The imbalance leads to inefficiency and thus to points 5, 6 and 7 above.

To quote Del Amitri, "The needle returns to the start of the song and we all sing along like before"

By *ip2Man 33 weeks ago

Near Maidenhead

"Hunts numbers are effectively to cut it down to pre brexit levels. "

That is ridiculous. The civil service has a "permanent increase in scope" because the UK gov now has to do things that were done by the EU.

Northern Ireland is exempt from the madness to some extent.

All the EU agencies and the European Commission staff made running the UK cheaper.

Two of the agencies were in London - the European Medicines Agency, and the European Banking Authority.

Now they're not. The EMA is in Amsterdam and the EBA is in Paris.

Hunt seems to want the practical benefits of being in the EU, while not being in it, at the same time?

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple 33 weeks ago

Newcastle under Lyme

Sack all the diversity and inclusion officers to start with. There's a job creation scheme if ever there was one.

Glasgow

"Sack all the diversity and inclusion officers to start with. There's a job creation scheme if ever there was one."

I suggest they repeal the Equality Act 2010 before they get rid of those folks.

» Add a new message to this topic