FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > £8m a day

£8m a day

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *deepdive OP   Man 28 weeks ago

France / Birmingham

Spent on hotels for migrants!

Paid by the taxpayer...

We need to stop this - not by closing borders but by stopping wars and as long as we continue to supply weapons and fund them (paid for my the taxpayer), we will continue to see refugees!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *iman2100Man 28 weeks ago

Glasgow

"Spent on hotels for migrants!

Paid by the taxpayer...

We need to stop this - not by closing borders but by stopping wars and as long as we continue to supply weapons and fund them (paid for my the taxpayer), we will continue to see refugees!"

I expect we make more by selling weapons than it costs to house migrants. I doubt if the hotel industry, their staff, food suppliers, etc. are too cut up about it either.

I also have no idea how we "stop wars" If we don't supply the weapons another country will. So it's a nice dream, but will never become reality.

By *irldnCouple 28 weeks ago

Brighton

Some of these hotel owners are doing very well out of these arrangements. Guaranteed occupancy for prolonged periods is a dream for many hoteliers.

By *wisted999Man 28 weeks ago

North Bucks

Paid by the taxpayer...

We need to stop this - not by closing borders but by stopping wars and as long as we continue to supply weapons and fund them (paid for my the taxpayer), we will continue to see refugees!"

Doubt very much they choose the Uk because we continue to supply weapons especially the Albanians who are increasing year on year.

It’s a nice thought though about stopping wars. Problem is how do you stop it? Kicking off all over the place at the moment where do you start?

By (user no longer on site) 28 weeks ago

I believe the hotel bills are paid from the foreign aid budget. Therefore the bills are not costing the taxpayer any extra.

Presumably the money given to hotels would then be subject to taxation in this country.

By *4bimMan 28 weeks ago

Farnborough Hampshire

i would hope the hotels are the ones with the worst reviews on trip advisor.

By *leasureseekers123Couple 28 weeks ago

Hythe

"I believe the hotel bills are paid from the foreign aid budget. Therefore the bills are not costing the taxpayer any extra.

Presumably the money given to hotels would then be subject to taxation in this country."

It does indeed come from the aid budget. 400 million in 2016 3.7 billion last year. If not spent on housing the asylum seekers, refugees, illegal immigrants etc it would be spent abroad. So the irony is that for all the people saying we should be spending it helping people in the uk, to a certain extent we are! All those hotel workers, translators, support workers etc are all being employed indirectly via the aid budget. Plus some of it comes back into the uk budget through taxation of the staff and businesses

By *melie LALWoman 28 weeks ago

Peterborough

"I believe the hotel bills are paid from the foreign aid budget. Therefore the bills are not costing the taxpayer any extra.

Presumably the money given to hotels would then be subject to taxation in this country.

It does indeed come from the aid budget. 400 million in 2016 3.7 billion last year. If not spent on housing the asylum seekers, refugees, illegal immigrants etc it would be spent abroad. So the irony is that for all the people saying we should be spending it helping people in the uk, to a certain extent we are! All those hotel workers, translators, support workers etc are all being employed indirectly via the aid budget. Plus some of it comes back into the uk budget through taxation of the staff and businesses "

Would I be right in assuming the foreign aid budget has increased in line with expenditure?

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 28 weeks ago

Gilfach

"Would I be right in assuming the foreign aid budget has increased in line with expenditure?"

You would not be right. UK foreign aid spending is fixed at 5% of GNI.

By *melie LALWoman 28 weeks ago

Peterborough

"Would I be right in assuming the foreign aid budget has increased in line with expenditure?

You would not be right. UK foreign aid spending is fixed at 5% of GNI. "

Thank you

By *eroy1000Man 28 weeks ago

milton keynes

I read today that the government are to stop using 50 hotels shortly but that still leaves a lot being used. It's not all great news for these hotels as some have had to lay off staff due to this and also the local economies suffer too as asylum seekers are not so likely to go to local attractions, gift shops and similar like holiday makers or other visitors

I hadn’t realised France was a war zone.

I’ve holidayed there a few times and found it quite pleasant. Maybe it’s gone down the drain since Macron has been in charge.

By *deepdive OP   Man 28 weeks ago

France / Birmingham

"I hadn’t realised France was a war zone.

I’ve holidayed there a few times and found it quite pleasant. Maybe it’s gone down the drain since Macron has been in charge."

I didn't realise it was a war zone either and I live on France.

Perhaps you could elaborate on where you read that "France was a war zone"?

By *anifestoMan 28 weeks ago

dublin and wexford

I suspect that there is more than a fair bit of gouging going on here by proprietors of these properties

By *0shadesOfFilthMan 28 weeks ago

nearby

Paid by the taxpayer...

Global migration of hundreds of millions via climate change will likely dwarf what we are currently seeing

By *0shadesOfFilthMan 28 weeks ago

nearby

Immigration and world poverty explained

https://youtu.be/l6tSqGCfoCI?si=zxB9npwKmk7_jIIY

By *orleymanMan 28 weeks ago

Leeds

Paid by the taxpayer...

We need to stop this - not by closing borders but by stopping wars and as long as we continue to supply weapons and fund them (paid for my the taxpayer), we will continue to see refugees!

Global migration of hundreds of millions via climate change will likely dwarf what we are currently seeing "

Nah.

"Would I be right in assuming the foreign aid budget has increased in line with expenditure?

Its actually 0.5%, not 5%.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-9224/

By *ostindreamsMan 28 weeks ago

London

News in the last 2 days in Europe

France to break ECHR rules and deport criminals and "dangerous individuals" before they can make ECHR appeal.

Sweden to reduce benefits for non-European immigrants.

Sweden foreign minister says they want to deport refugees who cannot be deported to a "third" country country(maybe Rwanda)

So entire Europe is following Braverman's playbook now?

Gilfach

"Would I be right in assuming the foreign aid budget has increased in line with expenditure?"

"You would not be right. UK foreign aid spending is fixed at 5% of GNI."

"Its actually 0.5%, not 5%.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-9224/"

I knew that figure looked wrong, but I couldn't see why. Thanks for the correction.

By *ercuryMan 28 weeks ago

Grantham

"News in the last 2 days in Europe

France to break ECHR rules and deport criminals and "dangerous individuals" before they can make ECHR appeal.

Sweden foreign minister says they want to deport refugees who cannot be deported to a "third" country country(maybe Rwanda)

So entire Europe is following Braverman's playbook now?"

I believe that it was Denmark that first proposed sending migrants to a third country.

By *idnight RamblerMan 28 weeks ago

Pershore

What should have been a simple matter of border policing a decade ago, has now turned into a full blow housing and social care crisis. God alone know what future security issues we have to face as a result.

By *AFKA HovisMan 28 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"News in the last 2 days in Europe

So entire Europe is following Braverman's playbook now?

I believe that it was Denmark that first proposed sending migrants to a third country.

"

I can't quite make head nor tail of the last paragraph.

But if Rwanda agreed to take this who failed to gain asylum, I'd possibly support. Braverman is wanting to send everyone there.

The second one isn't clear if it would apply to refugees... Or non-refugee immigrants. If it's non-refuees only, don't see an issue.

The first is one that I can see many line up behind. Even I'm 80pc of the way there. I'm almost 100pc the way there of it's terrorism offences.

By *ust RachelTV/TS 28 weeks ago

Eastbourne

"I read today that the government are to stop using 50 hotels shortly but that still leaves a lot being used. It's not all great news for these hotels as some have had to lay off staff due to this and also the local economies suffer too as asylum seekers are not so likely to go to local attractions, gift shops and similar like holiday makers or other visitors"

I can see a few of them going under to be honest, as there are about 3 hotels on the sea front that I know off were struggling financially after covid.

Hythe

"I hadn’t realised France was a war zone.

I’ve holidayed there a few times and found it quite pleasant. Maybe it’s gone down the drain since Macron has been in charge.

I didn't realise it was a war zone either and I live on France.

Perhaps you could elaborate on where you read that "France was a war zone"?"

I think it was a sarcastic way of saying “why don’t they all stay in France.” As in, unless France is a war zone then what are they escaping from by leaving France to come to the UK

NIMBYism

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 28 weeks ago

golden fields

Paid by the taxpayer...

That's a lot. About 7% of the daily cost of brexit.

Still, at least it helps people in need, instead of flushing money down the Brexit toilet.

By *otMe66Man 28 weeks ago

Terra Firma

Paid by the taxpayer...

Still, at least it helps people in need, instead of flushing money down the Brexit toilet."

How much has brexit cost us?

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 28 weeks ago

golden fields

Paid by the taxpayer...

Still, at least it helps people in need, instead of flushing money down the Brexit toilet.

How much has brexit cost us?"

Estimates vary of course.

There seems to be some consensus that it's about £109,000,000 a day.

By *mmmMaybeCouple 28 weeks ago

West Wales

How does that work with the figures given above?

2016 400m

2022 3.7billion

Has GNI had a nine fold increase in six years or have they just moved the goalposts?

S

Gilfach

"You would not be right. UK foreign aid spending is fixed at 5% of GNI."

"How does that work with the figures given above?

2016 400m

2022 3.7billion

Has GNI had a nine fold increase in six years or have they just moved the goalposts?"

As someone else posted above, I meant 0.5% not 5%. I must learn not to post when I'm feeling unwell.

By *mmmMaybeCouple 28 weeks ago

West Wales

[Removed by poster at 27/10/23 10:33:48]

Gilfach

"How does that work with the figures given above?

2016 400m

2022 3.7billion

Has GNI had a nine fold increase in six years or have they just moved the goalposts?"

"As someone else posted above, I meant 0.5% not 5%. I must learn not to post when I'm feeling unwell."

I should also add that back in 2016, UK Foreign Aid was set at 0.7% of GNI, which is the international recommended minimum level. We lowered it to 0.5% in 2020 as a 'temporary' measure to help with the CoViD effort.

Hythe

You would not be right. UK foreign aid spending is fixed at 5% of GNI.

How does that work with the figures given above?

2016 400m

2022 3.7billion

Has GNI had a nine fold increase in six years or have they just moved the goalposts?

S"

The 400m and 3.7 billion I quoted was the amount of the aid budget spent on asylum seekers/housing refugees etc in the uk.

It was not the total amount of the aid budget

By *ndycoinsMan 28 weeks ago

Buxton

Paid by the taxpayer...

I expect we make more by selling weapons than it costs to house migrants. I doubt if the hotel industry, their staff, food suppliers, etc. are too cut up about it either.

I also have no idea how we "stop wars" If we don't supply the weapons another country will. So it's a nice dream, but will never become reality. "

Hotel staff lose their jobs,Serco bring in their own agency staff,zero hours minimum wage,mostly under the income tax threshold.The original hotel staff lose out as does all the businesses that rely on tourism in that area.If hotel capacity is reduced,tourism is reduced,revenue is reduced.

By *ob198XaMan 27 weeks ago

teleford

Paid by the taxpayer...

People will always war. If they can’t access guns they use swords if they can’t access swords then knives sticks and stones are plentiful. Many migrations are not fleeing war but are economic migrants looking for a better life.

» Add a new message to this topic