FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > UN what's the point?

UN what's the point?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ackformore100 OP   Man 28 weeks ago

Tin town

What's the point in a un that sits on its hands and watches the slaughter of innocent civilians? The situation is beyond reprehensible and yet the in warble away in half arsed comments that help nobody

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 28 weeks ago

golden fields

"What's the point in a un that sits on its hands and watches the slaughter of innocent civilians? The situation is beyond reprehensible and yet the in warble away in half arsed comments that help nobody "

The US keeps vetoing them from doing anything.

I guess the problem is the structure and processes within the UN.

By *abioMan 28 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"What's the point in a un that sits on its hands and watches the slaughter of innocent civilians? The situation is beyond reprehensible and yet the in warble away in half arsed comments that help nobody

I guess the problem is the structure and processes within the UN."

The problem is nothing ever gets done in the security council is because the United States, Russia and China all have the power of permanent veto…

There is the “UNGM” get around (united nations general meeting) where all countries vote and there is no power of veto… but isn’t as legally binding

The fact the Israel have started a major operation during the UNGM which is due to vote on a resolution in the next hour is a giant FU!

By *irldnCouple 28 weeks ago

Brighton

And what exactly are they going to do. Israel isn’t a tinpot banana republic in Africa, it is one of the handful of nuclear powers. They’ll do what they want.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan 28 weeks ago

nearby

After 120,000 we’re killed and three and a half years of war in Bosnia, UN peacekeepers were sent in.

Long wait ahead yet

By *ndycoinsMan 28 weeks ago

Buxton

It's a talking shop and a jobs for the boys gravy train.Second longest UN deployment,Cyprus after the 1974 invasion,UN 'peacekeepers' unarmed,"what happens if Turkey advances,what do you do?" "Retreat,don't engage".So the point is? The number of UN departments is eye watering.Paid for by...?

By *mmmMaybeCouple 28 weeks ago

West Wales

"What's the point in a un that sits on its hands and watches the slaughter of innocent civilians? The situation is beyond reprehensible and yet the in warble away in half arsed comments that help nobody

The problem is nothing ever gets done in the security council is because the United States, Russia and China all have the power of permanent veto…

There is the “UNGM” get around (united nations general meeting) where all countries vote and there is no power of veto… but isn’t as legally binding

The fact the Israel have started a major operation during the UNGM which is due to vote on a resolution in the next hour is a giant FU!

"

What I don’t quite get is if the USA can arbitrarily send a war fleet to an area with no recourse to the UN beforehand why do we let them then veto within the UN? You only either work within the UN only it you don’t & leave.

I also think no one should have a veto & a vote win by numbers is a vote win by numbers & if you are on the losing side you can just not send your troops/aid etc.

As it stands at present it’s a total waste of time & money.

S

West Wales

"And what exactly are they going to do. Israel isn’t a tinpot banana republic in Africa, it is one of the handful of nuclear powers. They’ll do what they want."

I’d be forcing my way into Gaza from Egypt with aid etc but also with heavy duty protection including fighters & gunships & daring Israel to do fck all.

Bullies only understand bigger bullies. Not diplomacy.

S

By *otMe66Man 28 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"And what exactly are they going to do. Israel isn’t a tinpot banana republic in Africa, it is one of the handful of nuclear powers. They’ll do what they want.

I’d be forcing my way into Gaza from Egypt with aid etc but also with heavy duty protection including fighters & gunships & daring Israel to do fck all.

S"

Like a mission in call of duty?

By *abioMan 28 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

" What I don’t quite get is if the USA can arbitrarily send a war fleet to an area with no recourse to the UN beforehand why do we let them then veto within the UN? You only either work within the UN only it you don’t & leave.

I also think no one should have a veto & a vote win by numbers is a vote win by numbers & if you are on the losing side you can just not send your troops/aid etc.

S"

Swop the word US with Russia in your statement…. Think Ukraine.. and then you probably answer all your own questions!!

When china eventually invade Taiwan, we will ask the same question again…

By (user no longer on site) 28 weeks ago

"And what exactly are they going to do. Israel isn’t a tinpot banana republic in Africa, it is one of the handful of nuclear powers. They’ll do what they want."

Two points to this.

1. Only one country in the world has used nuclear weaponry.

2. Israel has never openly admitted to having nuclear arms, but if they do, bombing your neighbouring countries and living there is next to impossible given the size of Israel.

On a personal note my heart goes out to the people of Gaza tonight, who have had all phone and internet cut. This again leads to two thoughts.

1. There is going to be a bloodbath that the world cant see or hear about.

2. Emergency services like ambulances and hospitals will have no way to rescue or attend emergencies, which was becoming more difficult to do without fuel.

West Wales

"And what exactly are they going to do. Israel isn’t a tinpot banana republic in Africa, it is one of the handful of nuclear powers. They’ll do what they want.

S

Like a mission in call of duty? "

Why not? Gaza is not a State, it does not belong to Israel so go via Egypt & dare them. See how big their balls are against a proper military.

Or just send the fleet home & let them carry on but with the knowledge big brother is no longer there & see what happens?

Wonder if we could get a BOGOF on genocide & be done with it?

S

S

Why not? Gaza is not a State, it does not belong to Israel so go via Egypt & dare them. See how big their balls are against a proper military.

Or just send the fleet home & let them carry on but with the knowledge big brother is no longer there & see what happens?

S"

The 2 strike groups are not going anywhere. Not with so much support for Israel by the general public here. People still have 9/11 thoughts it's still a driving factor.

West Wales

S

S The 2 strike groups are not going anywhere. Not with so much support for Israel by the general public here. People still have 9/11 thoughts it's still a driving factor."

Huh huh, I don’t think it’s as 100% as you are making it sound, certainly not in the UK. Although Sunak has smelt the roses & at least didn’t vote against the UN resolution this time. Still a chicken shit abstention though.

S

West Wales

S

S The 2 strike groups are not going anywhere. Not with so much support for Israel by the general public here. People still have 9/11 thoughts it's still a driving factor.

Huh huh, I don’t think it’s as 100% as you are making it sound, certainly not in the UK. Although Sunak has smelt the roses & at least didn’t vote against the UN resolution this time. Still a chicken shit abstention though.

S"

By the way, your news channels are fucking hilarious, no wonder you follow the remit they may as well be reporting from a different planet!

S

S

S The 2 strike groups are not going anywhere. Not with so much support for Israel by the general public here. People still have 9/11 thoughts it's still a driving factor.

S"

UK might leave. We won't. That would look real good for a sitting president to abandon a ally. Excpecially with elections coming up. 7 in 10 Americans support Israel. Hence the voting in the UN.

By *abioMan 28 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

S

S"

The Israeli ambassador is not happy…. Basically calling The UN and UNRWA lying over their being any humanitarian crisis….

After hearing this… if they decided to bomb the Rafah crossing again to prevent aid going in I would not be surprised

West Wales

S

S UK might leave. We won't. That would look real good for a sitting president to abandon a ally. Excpecially with elections coming up. 7 in 10 Americans support Israel. Hence the voting in the UN. "

Strange turn of phrase really “Ally” in this relationship really. What do you do when it’s 5/10?

S

West Wales

S

S

The Israeli ambassador is not happy…. Basically calling The UN and UNRWA lying over their being any humanitarian crisis….

After hearing this… if they decided to bomb the Rafah crossing again to prevent aid going in I would not be surprised "

Fuck it, just let someone protect the crossing with better toys. No need to kill any IDF just neutralise their threat & kick the fcking door in to get the aid in. I’d shoot down every bomb/missile heading to the South too.

S

By *amish SMan 28 weeks ago

Eastleigh

S

S"

Egypt occupied Gaza in the past and gave up. They have no interest in reapeating the same mostake, says it all.

By *otMe66Man 28 weeks ago

Terra Firma

S

S

After hearing this… if they decided to bomb the Rafah crossing again to prevent aid going in I would not be surprised

Fuck it, just let someone protect the crossing with better toys. No need to kill any IDF just neutralise their threat & kick the fcking door in to get the aid in. I’d shoot down every bomb/missile heading to the South too.

S"

Did you finish work early today?

S

S UK might leave. We won't. That would look real good for a sitting president to abandon a ally. Excpecially with elections coming up. 7 in 10 Americans support Israel. Hence the voting in the UN.

Strange turn of phrase really “Ally” in this relationship really. What do you do when it’s 5/10?

S"

we are a ally of Israel

By *mateur100Man 28 weeks ago

nr faversham

Other than the various departments of the UN it's no different to its predecessor and, like such bodies as the ECHR it's a lovely idea in principle. Sadly, the UK and US will invariably veto any significant proposals by Russia and China and they will reciprocate...which makes it, in essence, toothless. Unfortunate, but true

Why hasn't Egypt or Jordan not opening their borders? They know Israel is not playing games anymore. At this point it's the "Humanitarian" thing to do. Is it not? The civilians would be safer in either countries. Let the IDF and Hamas settle this. Hamas knew this outcome it's on their heads the response.

West Wales

"Why hasn't Egypt or Jordan not opening their borders? They know Israel is not playing games anymore. At this point it's the "Humanitarian" thing to do. Is it not? The civilians would be safer in either countries. Let the IDF and Hamas settle this. Hamas knew this outcome it's on their heads the response. "

Why? I wouldn’t leave, I might send my kids out but no way would I leave, it’s my home, Israel are invaders & we all know what happens when Israel gets a foot in the door. So no I wouldn’t leave.

I might say, yeah that Hamas are here but I didn’t vote for them or give them power. No different to 70% of the Israeli population & BN really is it ?? & I actually think no matter what happens in the next Israeli election the right may as well not turn up. I mean they won’t be able to vote BN in because much like Trump as soon as he’s no longer leader he’ll be in court on corruption charges.

Or has everyone forgotten about that?

But given that many Palestinians feel the same if they left how do IDF differentiate between Hamas & just civilians saying “Fuck you, we are not going so you can steal our land & build fucking condo’s for your immigrants”.

I know the answer but I want to hear it from you.

S

West Wales

S

S UK might leave. We won't. That would look real good for a sitting president to abandon a ally. Excpecially with elections coming up. 7 in 10 Americans support Israel. Hence the voting in the UN.

S we are a ally of Israel "

Going back to the US support from the population I have just listened to a US reporter saying they sat in front of multiple TV screens for eight hours today & only one showed a small amount of footage from inside Gaza (CNN) & the damage in eight hours. One......The test showed distance footage all released by Israeli media/Gov.

If you don’t show people the full story about what is going on how can you say 7/10 support the full actions?

S

S

S we are a ally of Israel

Going back to the US support from the population I have just listened to a US reporter saying they sat in front of multiple TV screens for eight hours today & only one showed a small amount of footage from inside Gaza (CNN) & the damage in eight hours. One......The test showed distance footage all released by Israeli media/Gov.

If you don’t show people the full story about what is going on how can you say 7/10 support the full actions?

S"

I stated earlier. 9/11 there is your support. We sympathize with Israel.

By *abioMan 28 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Why hasn't Egypt or Jordan not opening their borders? They know Israel is not playing games anymore. At this point it's the "Humanitarian" thing to do. Is it not? The civilians would be safer in either countries. Let the IDF and Hamas settle this. Hamas knew this outcome it's on their heads the response. "

Israeli then clears out Gaza… cleansing under a different name!

I would say Israel would give back land.. but they didn’t in 48 or 67 so why would Palestinians believe them now

Isreal have already set up their excuses for what happens next…. Saying Hamas are in UN facilities, sayings there are tunnels under hospitals, denial of UNRWA claims of humanitarian issues, leaflets dropping saying if people don’t leave they will be treated as enemy combatants……

They are going to wipe out everything in northern Gaza

Oh by the way, UN personnel killed so far…. 53… and even Israel disputes that number!

By *oubleswing2019Man 28 weeks ago

Colchester

We need a UN with teeth, but fundamentally a UN is always going to have bias.

What we really need is an unbiased 3rd party. Let's choose aliens for example.

Land, provide a barrier between Israel and Gaza, for example. Enforce peace between both sides. Actively engage with either if either side starts trouble.

Provide aid to both. But will enforce peace.

"Why hasn't Egypt or Jordan not opening their borders? They know Israel is not playing games anymore. At this point it's the "Humanitarian" thing to do. Is it not? The civilians would be safer in either countries. Let the IDF and Hamas settle this. Hamas knew this outcome it's on their heads the response.

Israeli then clears out Gaza… cleansing under a different name!

I would say Israel would give back land.. but they didn’t in 48 or 67 so why would Palestinians believe them now

Isreal have already set up their excuses for what happens next…. Saying Hamas are in UN facilities, sayings there are tunnels under hospitals, denial of UNRWA claims of humanitarian issues, leaflets dropping saying if people don’t leave they will be treated as enemy combatants……

They are going to wipe out everything in northern Gaza

Oh by the way, UN personnel killed so far…. 53… and even Israel disputes that number! "

Again it's war. You can spout numbers all you want. What is our Number # 1 trusted institution again? If that institution says yes this needs to be done. Guess who follows. If that institution disputes any claims it's believed. Not news not any foreign nation.

Anyone figure out that answer?

Look at the UK most trusted compared to ours. You can see the major differences...2 majorly different comparisons.

West Wales

I laughed my head off when I read that Israel now consider the UN as in cahoots with a Nazi like regime.

& there was me thinking Israel are being the Nazi’s like regime in this conflict.

Just shows how the powers that be there do not live in the same world.

& by the way as we all know 9/11 was sponsored by Saudi Arabia when is the US attacking them? Or is it different when terrorists invest in your country or own your banks?

S

Tin town

[Removed by poster at 28/10/23 10:35:06]

Tin town

I just really struggle to get my head around what Israel are doing at the moment. While the world watches on.

"I just really struggle to get my head around what Israel are doing at the moment. While the world watches on. "
Deleting Hamas. They even stated their intentions.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple 28 weeks ago

in Lancashire

"I just really struggle to get my head around what Israel are doing at the moment. While the world watches on. "

Twas ever thus..

Just different belligerents and other innocent victims..

in Lancashire

"I just really struggle to get my head around what Israel are doing at the moment. While the world watches on. Deleting Hamas. They even stated their intentions."

Do you not think it's a bit of a coincidence that they were caught with their pants down on 7th October, one element being the incursion by para gliders..

No idea whatsoever it was planned let alone who was the Hamas commander and yet they now claim they have killed the head of the Hamas 'air operations'..

Maybe unlike any other terrorist organisation since year dot, the guy updated his social media for the kudos..?

"I just really struggle to get my head around what Israel are doing at the moment. While the world watches on. Deleting Hamas. They even stated their intentions.

Do you not think it's a bit of a coincidence that they were caught with their pants down on 7th October, one element being the incursion by para gliders..

No idea whatsoever it was planned let alone who was the Hamas commander and yet they now claim they have killed the head of the Hamas 'air operations'..

Maybe unlike any other terrorist organisation since year dot, the guy updated his social media for the kudos..?

"

Paragliders can fly under radar detection. So that is not implausible. Perfect timing for a attack too. A holiday. Hell our massive detection capabilities couldnt detect a Chinese weather balloon.

in Lancashire

"I just really struggle to get my head around what Israel are doing at the moment. While the world watches on. Deleting Hamas. They even stated their intentions.

Paragliders can fly under radar detection. So that is not implausible. Perfect timing for a attack too. A holiday. Hell our massive detection capabilities couldnt detect a Chinese weather balloon.

"

I know the specifics Blu, your ignoring the point that as the Israelis continue to bombard Gaza with the inevitable loss of innocent lives that with such actions are inevitable they just happen to trot out the 'news' about this guy..

It doesn't fit any rationale other than fake news to bolster the campaign..

It was a well planned attack by Hamas. Now they are on the receiving end of the IDFs attack. People can blame Hamas or Israel. Hamas knew the Repercussions and the carnage it would entail.

I know the specifics Blu, your ignoring the point that as the Israelis continue to bombard Gaza with the inevitable loss of innocent lives that with such actions are inevitable they just happen to trot out the 'news' about this guy..

It doesn't fit any rationale other than fake news to bolster the campaign.."

Both sides are going to use propaganda to bolster world opinion. The propaganda is working for both sides. Now Hamas and the Palestinians are painted as David vs Goliath. It's war it's a urban environment.

By *wosmilersCouple 28 weeks ago

Heathrowish

Hawkeye: War isn’t Hell. War is war, and Hell is Hell. And of the two, war is a lot worse.

Father Mulcahy: How do you figure that, Hawkeye?

Hawkeye: Easy, Father. Tell me, who goes to Hell?

Father Mulcahy: Sinners, I believe.

Hawkeye: Exactly. There are no innocent bystanders in Hell. War is chock full of them — little kids, cripples, old ladies. In fact, except for some of the brass, almost everybody involved is an innocent bystander.

Tin town

"It was a well planned attack by Hamas. Now they are on the receiving end of the IDFs attack. People can blame Hamas or Israel. Hamas knew the Repercussions and the carnage it would entail."

Isn't there a difference though? One is a terrorist organisation and one is a democracy that subscribes to the un and the articles of war. Killing and starving children indiscriminately can not be legitimised.

in Lancashire

"It was a well planned attack by Hamas. Now they are on the receiving end of the IDFs attack. People can blame Hamas or Israel. Hamas knew the Repercussions and the carnage it would entail.

Isn't there a difference though? One is a terrorist organisation and one is a democracy that subscribes to the un and the articles of war. Killing and starving children indiscriminately can not be legitimised. "

It's the might is right bullshit that some countries only think applies to them, how Israel can be allowed to blockade over 2.3 million people in an act that tears up every law they and other nations are obligated to abide by is plain wrong..

It's only serving to turn people away from their just cause in defeating Hamas..

Biden has facilitated it to a degree by resupplying them and providing defence capabilities..

He should have said lift the blockade, allow food and water and electricity to the medical facilities then we will assist..

Netanyahu needs checking..

By *oubleswing2019Man 28 weeks ago

Colchester

"It was a well planned attack by Hamas. Now they are on the receiving end of the IDFs attack. People can blame Hamas or Israel. Hamas knew the Repercussions and the carnage it would entail."

Did they expect the IDF to carpet bomb parts of Gaza however ?

That would be like Belfast (Northern Ireland) sending in the RAF to carpet-bomb Dublin (ROI). Even the British didn't go that far !

John Kirby who had previously ch*ked up while condemning Putin and describing the deaths of Ukrainian civilians by Russian military strikes.

Same man yesterday

This is war. It is combat. It is bloody. It is ugly, and it's going to be messy. And innocent civilians are going to be hurt going forward," Kirby told reporters. "I wish I could tell you something different. I wish that that wasn't going to happen, but it is going to happen."

"It was a well planned attack by Hamas. Now they are on the receiving end of the IDFs attack. People can blame Hamas or Israel. Hamas knew the Repercussions and the carnage it would entail.

That would be like Belfast (Northern Ireland) sending in the RAF to carpet-bomb Dublin (ROI). Even the British didn't go that far !"

Firstly Israel do not own any aircraft that can " Carpet Bomb".These are strikes to soften Hamas targets prior to the ground offensive. Hamas can surrender they choose not to so now Israel has to go in and root them out. Tell Hamas to surrender it will avoid more civilian casualties.

By *estivalMan 28 weeks ago

borehamwood

That would be like Belfast (Northern Ireland) sending in the RAF to carpet-bomb Dublin (ROI). Even the British didn't go that far !"

wouldnt bother likening it to ireland blus a yank they think the ira were freedom fighters not terrorists thats why the u.s had no problems with them fundraising in there country... Well until a load of afghan farmers knocked down there precious towers

By *estivalMan 28 weeks ago

borehamwood

Ooops i meant saudis not afghan farmers

By *oquars19458Man 28 weeks ago

sheffield

"I just really struggle to get my head around what Israel are doing at the moment. While the world watches on. Deleting Hamas. They even stated their intentions."

And all Palestinians

And all Palestinians"

And again Hamas can just as easily surrender to avoid Palestinian casualties.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 28 weeks ago

golden fields

And all Palestinians And again Hamas can just as easily surrender to avoid Palestinian casualties."

They won't though. They're just as bad as the IDF.

By *ools and the brainCouple 28 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

What I don’t quite get is if the USA can arbitrarily send a war fleet to an area with no recourse to the UN beforehand why do we let them then veto within the UN? You only either work within the UN only it you don’t & leave.

S"

Who the hell is going to tell the USA they can't do anything?

Really only China has the manpower and Hardwear to challenge and then why?

A huge chunk of their exports go to the states financially they'd be cutting their noses off to spite their face.

Let's be honest if the USA wanted Israel to stop just a flex of one bicep should suffice.

As for the UN they are the military equivalent of the st John's ambulance service.

Tin town

S

A huge chunk of their exports go to the states financially they'd be cutting their noses off to spite their face.

Let's be honest if the USA wanted Israel to stop just a flex of one bicep should suffice.

As for the UN they are the military equivalent of the st John's ambulance service."

It's not even their military impotence... Its their political irrelevance. They say nothing and do nothing and are beholden to them that fund them rather than the that need them. There clearly are war crimes being committed but... So what. Crack on....

West Wales

S

As for the UN they are the military equivalent of the st John's ambulance service."

I was thinking more within the UN. The USA send a fleet so they’ve picked their side already no matter what so I think combatants should lose voting rights while the war goes on. What if 80 countries voted to bust in & deliver aid & the only countries voting against were Israel & the USA.

In reality though the UN is a busted flush & a waste of time.

S

By *ndycoinsMan 28 weeks ago

Buxton

It doesn't fit any rationale other than fake news to bolster the campaign.."

Didn't Hamas attack Israeli civilians on Oct 7,don't Hamas continue to bombard Israel with 'the inevitable loss of innocent lives?'

By (user no longer on site) 27 weeks ago

The complicity of each and every Palestinian in the violent actions of their militant ruling authority was reportedly on full display Friday morning when dying Gazans received justified criticism for not using their last words to condemn Hamas. For example, instead of issuing a full-throated denunciation of the violent attacks by Hamas that have left over 1,300 Israelis dead, one dying woman holding her 6-year-old son who had just been killed in a bombing is said to have doubled down by telling her child she loved him. According to reports, such barbarism on the part of Palestinians was on full display across the Gaza Strip, where many men of fighting age could not muster a single world of reproof for Hamas’ actions while they coughed up blood. In war-ravaged Gaza City, a dying reporter was heard blatantly begging for help instead of labeling Hamas a terrorist organization. At press time, the Israeli Defense Forces Twitter account underscored the massive surge of contempt they were contending with by posting a video that featured the shocking savagery of a Palestinian corpse that refused to condemn Hamas even when kicked.

Didn't Hamas attack Israeli civilians on Oct 7,don't Hamas continue to bombard Israel with 'the inevitable loss of innocent lives?'"

Yes exactly. Don't know why the Palestinian and their supporters realise they are not the victims.

When will they realise that only Americans, Israelis and Europeans are allowed to be innocent victims.

They should know there place in the world, Muslims and darker skinned people only get killed because they deserve it. Is that so hard to understand

By *ouple in LancashireCouple 27 weeks ago

in Lancashire

Didn't Hamas attack Israeli civilians on Oct 7,don't Hamas continue to bombard Israel with 'the inevitable loss of innocent lives?'"

Fella keep up, that's not in question or what my point is..

By *resesse_MelioremCouple 27 weeks ago

Border of London

"Yes exactly. Don't know why the Palestinian and their supporters realise they are not the victims.

When will they realise that only Americans, Israelis and Europeans are allowed to be innocent victims.

They should know there place in the world, Muslims and darker skinned people only get killed because they deserve it. Is that so hard to understand "

All sarcasm and irony aside, are you suggesting that Muslims are dark skinned, Israelis are light skinned and that world support is in Israel's favour as a racial (predominantly skin colour) issue?

By *wisted999Man 27 weeks ago

North Bucks

Didn’t see the UN step in when thousands upon thousands of Yemenis were killed.

Compare the outrage between the two events were they the wrong kind of Muslims?

The UN are useless.

By *abioMan 27 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

And all Palestinians And again Hamas can just as easily surrender to avoid Palestinian casualties."

Hamas does not control the occupied West Bank… what’s Israel’s excuse there?

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 27 weeks ago

golden fields

"Didn’t see the UN step in when thousands upon thousands of Yemenis were killed.

The UN are useless. "

The UN are beholden to countries who can veto.

With the Yemen the US threatened to veto any motion for a ceasefire, but they got there in the end..

By *wisted999Man 27 weeks ago

North Bucks

"Didn’t see the UN step in when thousands upon thousands of Yemenis were killed.

The UN are useless.

With the Yemen the US threatened to veto any motion for a ceasefire, but they got there in the end.."

Let’s face it. There was a toothless ceasefire to this day people are still dying.

Useless.

By *luesky69Man 27 weeks ago

ballymena

not matter how thin you cut a loaf of bread there is always two sides to it.. am I right??

golden fields

The UN are useless.

With the Yemen the US threatened to veto any motion for a ceasefire, but they got there in the end..

Let’s face it. There was a toothless ceasefire to this day people are still dying.

Useless. "

Very much so. We still sell bombs to the Saudis to drop on Yemeni people.

A cynical person might suggest that countries with prominent arms industries care more about making money than they care about helping the UN to vote for ceasefires.

"Yes exactly. Don't know why the Palestinian and their supporters realise they are not the victims.

They should know there place in the world, Muslims and darker skinned people only get killed because they deserve it. Is that so hard to understand

All sarcasm and irony aside, are you suggesting that Muslims are dark skinned, Israelis are light skinned and that world support is in Israel's favour as a racial (predominantly skin colour) issue?"

There's definitely a pecking order of the value ( Western politicians , media and some members of the public ) put on human life.

Race, religion and wealth are definitely a large criteria. Its only people don't like to say or hear it.

The proof is there in front of your eyes. The civillian deaths of the Ukrainians and Israelis are met with so much horror and anger. While others are met with shrugs of the shoulders and well they asked for it and probably deserved it.

There are terrorists attacks going on in Africa nearly everyday and people getting killed. But you won't hear about it. The Yemen war has left around 377,000 dead, yet its never described has a holocaust.

If all the Israelis looked like other people from the region we would not give a shit about it. Its because they look and talk like someone from New York, which a lot them are , it a big deal. Its why so many of them are dual nationals, treating Israel like a little colony to hop back and forth from.

By *oversfunCouple 27 weeks ago

ayrshire

S

S we are a ally of Israel "

Any ally who sits back and does nothing are as bad as isreal,and as for that we prick sunak saying the british ppl back isreal and hope they win,well the wee tory scumbag dosent speak for me or quite alot of ppl

Anthony Blinken in a meeting with Quatari Prime Minister asked them to get Al Jazeera to tone down the coverage of the Gaza siege. Apparently its not helping the US, PR.

Border of London

"If all the Israelis looked like other people from the region we would not give a shit about it."

This is a really good point.

How does this explain all the attention at what Israel is doing in Gaza, in this case, compared to what is happening in other Arab/African countries? Why is Israel bearing the brunt of international outrage (which is currently extremely vociferous - protests in the USA and UK are bigger for this than any other conflict).

"If all the Israelis looked like other people from the region we would not give a shit about it.

How does this explain all the attention at what Israel is doing in Gaza, in this case, compared to what is happening in other Arab/African countries? Why is Israel bearing the brunt of international outrage (which is currently extremely vociferous - protests in the USA and UK are bigger for this than any other conflict)."

Because its the only country doing what its doing with the blessing of our governments. Its a protest against our governments support for what its doing. Obviously its all over the news and the awareness is greater.

"Anthony Blinken in a meeting with Quatari Prime Minister asked them to get Al Jazeera to tone down the coverage of the Gaza siege. Apparently its not helping the US, PR."
Good it will keep the Rehtoric down so as to not fan the fire and expand the conflict. Or would you prefer that?

Border of London

"If all the Israelis looked like other people from the region we would not give a shit about it.

How does this explain all the attention at what Israel is doing in Gaza, in this case, compared to what is happening in other Arab/African countries? Why is Israel bearing the brunt of international outrage (which is currently extremely vociferous - protests in the USA and UK are bigger for this than any other conflict).

Because its the only country doing what its doing with the blessing of our governments. Its a protest against our governments support for what its doing. Obviously its all over the news and the awareness is greater.

"

Ah, by "we", you meant Western governments.

By *ackformore100 OP   Man 27 weeks ago

Tin town

"Anthony Blinken in a meeting with Quatari Prime Minister asked them to get Al Jazeera to tone down the coverage of the Gaza siege. Apparently its not helping the US, PR."

Then we can get back to Ukraine/us v Russia / china / india

Tin town

I say again. How anyone can justify starving, removing hospital facilities, bombing and killing innocents including children is beyond me.

"Anthony Blinken in a meeting with Quatari Prime Minister asked them to get Al Jazeera to tone down the coverage of the Gaza siege. Apparently its not helping the US, PR. Good it will keep the Rehtoric down so as to not fan the fire and expand the conflict. Or would you prefer that?"

My preference is irrelevant. But the western values of free speech sound very hollow when put to the test.

Ah, by "we", you meant Western governments."

Yes I did. They are actually the we. The rest of us are just minions who tick a box every 5 years.

By *ools and the brainCouple 27 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

Alot of the issue's seem to revolve around who claims to have dominion over Jerusalem.

Appears to be the centre of all that is Holy for a few faith's.

Tin town

"Alot of the issue's seem to revolve around who claims to have dominion over Jerusalem.

Appears to be the centre of all that is Holy for a few faith's."

I'm not sure of all the issues how high that is on the list, the three religions that share it, I thought had a well oiled agreement about how the keys were handed over and timings of it etc. ... Building settlements on their land... Kicking them out of their homes...removing work and healthcare... I appreciate it's a very Complex issue which at the end of the day is what the un is there to help resolve.

"Anthony Blinken in a meeting with Quatari Prime Minister asked them to get Al Jazeera to tone down the coverage of the Gaza siege. Apparently its not helping the US, PR. Good it will keep the Rehtoric down so as to not fan the fire and expand the conflict. Or would you prefer that?

My preference is irrelevant. But the western values of free speech sound very hollow when put to the test."

The blackout seems to be working. No one is inflamed over body counts today. No daily report from forum users who bombed what and who is at fault.

"Anthony Blinken in a meeting with Quatari Prime Minister asked them to get Al Jazeera to tone down the coverage of the Gaza siege. Apparently its not helping the US, PR. Good it will keep the Rehtoric down so as to not fan the fire and expand the conflict. Or would you prefer that?

My preference is irrelevant. But the western values of free speech sound very hollow when put to the test. The blackout seems to be working. No one is inflamed over body counts today. No daily report from forum users who bombed what and who is at fault."

Yes great, reminds me Srebenica.

My preference is irrelevant. But the western values of free speech sound very hollow when put to the test. The blackout seems to be working. No one is inflamed over body counts today. No daily report from forum users who bombed what and who is at fault."

I would suggest you watch how to become a tyrant on netfllix or read clockwork orange. You have literally described one of the steps needed

Tin town

Can't be happening then. All is OK.

My preference is irrelevant. But the western values of free speech sound very hollow when put to the test. The blackout seems to be working. No one is inflamed over body counts today. No daily report from forum users who bombed what and who is at fault.

Yes great, reminds me Srebenica."

It is war in case you forgot. Would you prefer the conflict to expand ? That's the goal to contain it. You can't say there wouldn't be millions more at risk.

My preference is irrelevant. But the western values of free speech sound very hollow when put to the test. The blackout seems to be working. No one is inflamed over body counts today. No daily report from forum users who bombed what and who is at fault.

Yes great, reminds me Srebenica. It is war in case you forgot. Would you prefer the conflict to expand ? That's the goal to contain it. You can't say there wouldn't be millions more at risk."

When you say contain it. I only see one side being contained

golden fields

I find it bizarre that you actively want to have the news hidden from you. And not just from you, but from everyone.

Yes great, reminds me Srebenica. It is war in case you forgot. Would you prefer the conflict to expand ? That's the goal to contain it. You can't say there wouldn't be millions more at risk."

So Srebenica was justified was because its a war. So why were Radovan Karadžic and Ratko Mladic imprisoned for war crimes...?

I find it bizarre that you actively want to have the news hidden from you. And not just from you, but from everyone. "

and I find it bizarre that you would prefer a wider conflict. Take the hospital incident as a example. People chose sides according to what news sources they believe in. When no one has a definitive answer. I understand why there is a blackout in Gaza. Others are saying it's Israel hiding it's war crimes and that why there is a blackout. I understand the need for the blackout militarily. To other people it's more sinister. But it is war there are going to be deaths on both sides. No sense in expanding the conflict even more because of people's misconceptions. Unless the people complaining about the blackouts want to see expanded even more. That has yet be seen.

golden fields

I find it bizarre that you actively want to have the news hidden from you. And not just from you, but from everyone. and I find it bizarre that you would prefer a wider conflict.

"

I don't. No idea where you got this from.

"

Take the hospital incident as a example. People chose sides according to what news sources they believe in.

"

Okay. But it's good that we learned about the incident.

"

When no one has a definitive answer. I understand why there is a blackout in Gaza. Others are saying it's Israel hiding it's war crimes and that why there is a blackout.

"

For sure one of their reasons is to minimise the international pressure for them to stop bombing civilians.

"

I understand the need for the blackout militarily. To other people it's more sinister. But it is war there are going to be deaths on both sides. No sense in expanding the conflict even more because of people's misconceptions. Unless the people complaining about the blackouts want to see expanded even more. That has yet be seen."

I don't see how you're linking reports about what's happening in Gaza with expanding the conflict. Can you explain?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple 27 weeks ago

in Lancashire

Blu, one of the boxes that tyrants tick is the shutting down of the media, suppression means they can do what they want..

It's no surprise that in the period post WW 2 journalists in some countries have been killed or locked up often on spurious charges..

We may differ in opinions on what is going on but without a free press the truth is hidden, often from the very people who's taxes fund the conflicts.

Be careful what you wish for or are ok with accepting.

I find it bizarre that you actively want to have the news hidden from you. And not just from you, but from everyone. and I find it bizarre that you would prefer a wider conflict. Take the hospital incident as a example. People chose sides according to what news sources they believe in. When no one has a definitive answer. I understand why there is a blackout in Gaza. Others are saying it's Israel hiding it's war crimes and that why there is a blackout. I understand the need for the blackout militarily. To other people it's more sinister. But it is war there are going to be deaths on both sides. No sense in expanding the conflict even more because of people's misconceptions. Unless the people complaining about the blackouts want to see expanded even more. That has yet be seen."

So you mention war crimes. Do you believe even in war there can be crimes.

From your previous posts I thought you believed war was a no bars contest..?

Tin town

I find it bizarre that you actively want to have the news hidden from you. And not just from you, but from everyone. and I find it bizarre that you would prefer a wider conflict.

Take the hospital incident as a example. People chose sides according to what news sources they believe in.

When no one has a definitive answer. I understand why there is a blackout in Gaza. Others are saying it's Israel hiding it's war crimes and that why there is a blackout.

For sure one of their reasons is to minimise the international pressure for them to stop bombing civilians.

I understand the need for the blackout militarily. To other people it's more sinister. But it is war there are going to be deaths on both sides. No sense in expanding the conflict even more because of people's misconceptions. Unless the people complaining about the blackouts want to see expanded even more. That has yet be seen.

I don't see how you're linking reports about what's happening in Gaza with expanding the conflict. Can you explain?"

I think it's along the lines of.. If people don't know about it, they can't object to it or do anything to prevent the slaughter of innocent civilians. Which is so fucking ironic when you think of the ghettos in the 2nd world war

golden fields

I understand the need for the blackout militarily. To other people it's more sinister. But it is war there are going to be deaths on both sides. No sense in expanding the conflict even more because of people's misconceptions. Unless the people complaining about the blackouts want to see expanded even more. That has yet be seen.

I don't see how you're linking reports about what's happening in Gaza with expanding the conflict. Can you explain?

I think it's along the lines of.. If people don't know about it, they can't object to it or do anything to prevent the slaughter of innocent civilians. Which is so fucking ironic when you think of the ghettos in the 2nd world war"

That's certainly what it sounds like, but I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt and ask.

Not many mention this in the current debate. It happened just before 7th October.

https://youtu.be/97kZGloEsdc?si=7WizSraKOwC7VJ6A

» Add a new message to this topic