FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > How good is your GP service?

How good is your GP service?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ools and the brain OP   Couple 25 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

Our previous surgery closed a couple of years ago due to appalling service and a damning cqc report.

Our area is massively under provisioned for GP surgeries before this.

The surgery that we ended up joining had to take on an additional 5000 patients as a result.

The quality of service has been going from bad to worse.

Not allowed to walk in to book an appointment.

Not allowed to phone in unless emergency and then it has to be at 8am last time I was on hold for 1hr 45 mins only to be told I needed to fill in an e consultation.

Usually e consultation is only way to get in touch.

NOW if you try to do an E consultation it has to be in the morning between 8&12 not able to do after or before or weekends.

What's the point of a GP these days?

They just fob you off to another service anyway!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *otMe66Man 25 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"Our previous surgery closed a couple of years ago due to appalling service and a damning cqc report.

Our area is massively under provisioned for GP surgeries before this.

The surgery that we ended up joining had to take on an additional 5000 patients as a result.

The quality of service has been going from bad to worse.

Not allowed to walk in to book an appointment.

Not allowed to phone in unless emergency and then it has to be at 8am last time I was on hold for 1hr 45 mins only to be told I needed to fill in an e consultation.

Usually e consultation is only way to get in touch.

NOW if you try to do an E consultation it has to be in the morning between 8&12 not able to do after or before or weekends.

What's the point of a GP these days?

They just fob you off to another service anyway!"

Do many medical students want to be a GP? I have always thought of GP's like jack of all trades master of none.

It isn't a job I would particularly like to do and since covid the GP service seems not have got bck on its feet.

By *addad99Man 25 weeks ago

Rotherham /newquay

It used to be great the staff are brilliant but since they have changed to a phone waiting service it's gone down hill government have made it harder to book and get appointments.

By *umbrian85Man 25 weeks ago

Cumbria

[Removed by poster at 15/11/23 18:20:40]

By *ouple in LancashireCouple 25 weeks ago

in Lancashire

Ours is fine, no complaints..

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 25 weeks ago

Gilfach

"It used to be great the staff are brilliant but since they have changed to a phone waiting service it's gone down hill government have made it harder to book and get appointments."

What have the government done to make it harder to book appointments?

By *verysmileMan 25 weeks ago

CANTERBURY

No problems here....if I need an appointment, I go online and if there isn't anything available, I pop in explaining my reasons for needing something sooner and they give me a more appropriate time slot.

By *oversfunCouple 25 weeks ago

ayrshire

Ours is very good,can get seen the same day

By *mateur100Man 25 weeks ago

nr faversham

Usually 2 weeks wait....if you think that's good, fine

By *idnight RamblerMan 25 weeks ago

Pershore

Recently changed to online appointments only. Depending on the urgency you may (or may not) get an appointment. Possibly with a triage nurse not a doctor. Same with a recent consultant appointment recently - just seen by a nurse. There's so much wrong with healthcare in the UK, it's hard to know where to start.

By *estivalMan 25 weeks ago

borehamwood

My go been crap for ages, last dealings i had with them they got pharmacist to ring me back, who thought i had kidney infection and prescribed me anti biotics only for me to be rushed into surgery a few days later with a burst abcess in my stomach then spent 30 days in hospital with a 20 day stay in icu, even when i got let out it was near on impossible to get appointments to get the wound cleaned and dressed every three days like my surgeon wanted doing

By *wisted999Man 25 weeks ago

North Bucks

Village surgery. Really good service from them once you get passed the receptionists.

I fear it will change though as more and more strain gets put on it from the sheer number of development going on in the area.

By *anifestoMan 25 weeks ago

dublin and wexford

Absolutely perfect

Can phone between 730 and 1130 or 2 to 430

Can usually get seen same day or next day

They're open until 6pm

Costs me €50 a visit

Is it worth it? Absolutely.

By *addad99Man 25 weeks ago

Rotherham /newquay

"It used to be great the staff are brilliant but since they have changed to a phone waiting service it's gone down hill government have made it harder to book and get appointments.

What have the government done to make it harder to book appointments?"

the phone system is useless you are number 8 in the queue five minutes later your number 12

By *ired_upMan 25 weeks ago

ashton

There is a video online if you search Tony Blair GP 48 hours cspan.

This is Blair being given a roasting by a member of the public about how Terrible it was that he could only get n appointment at the GP within the next 48 hours.

Now you are waiting weeks if you can get in at all.

That's the sort of problem you had under new labour.

By *G LanaTV/TS 25 weeks ago

Gosport

[Removed by poster at 16/11/23 14:21:10]

By *G LanaTV/TS 25 weeks ago

Gosport

Terrible, but then it is probably the same GP Group if not the same surgery. As I have recently had the misfortune to find out the group's patients are also blocked from getting help with problems by the PALS service, who just refer you back to the GP groups own complaints process. I have then also be told that the independent commisioning board won't look at complaints whilst the groups investigation is ongoing, even if their blatently doing nothing but sitting on the complaint, this actively encourages them to do nothing as it makes them pretty much impervious to any scrutiny even when their not following either NHS or GMC guidance.

By *orleymanMan 25 weeks ago

Leeds

Depends on the surgery.

My one in Morley is brilliant.

My one in burley at a previous address was horrific.

Almost impossible to book an appointment post lockdown

By *panksspankedMan 24 weeks ago

Edinburgh

Mine is pretty good. Very accommodating with appointments and good service from both GPs and practice nurses

By (user no longer on site) 24 weeks ago

Awesome . You get what you pay for

Edinburgh

"Awesome . You get what you pay for "

I'm with the NHS

"Awesome . You get what you pay for

I'm with the NHS"

have at it

I'm with the NHS have at it "

I prefer the no wait

Urgent care is 58 minutes here compared to 3 hours there. I'll take mine. You get what you pay for.

Edinburgh

I'm with the NHS have at it I prefer the no wait "

Never had any issues

I'm with the NHS have at it I prefer the no wait

Never had any issues "

neither have I.

Never had any issues neither have I. "

I have shorter wait times in a emergency. I am estatic.

Edinburgh

Never had any issues neither have I. I have shorter wait times in a emergency. I am estatic."

Shame about your spelling

By *9alMan 24 weeks ago

Bridgend

GP service has gone down hill a lot in the past few years, I have some long term conditions that need treatment & monitoring . The surgeries seem arrogant & do not care how bad the service is. The doctors & nurses are ok it just seems to be the admin

By *coptoCouple 24 weeks ago

Côte d'Azur & Great Yarmouth

Even though a French GP doesn't have to put up with a typical UK consultation ("Doctor, I've got a cold" or "I get breathless when I walk" - wouldn't a Doctor just LOVE to say: "Rub some Vicks in your chest like your Granny used to do" or "Lose some weight you fat c..t"?), they're not without their problems and the possibility of strike action has been voiced.

To claim their 25 euro consultation fee - about the same as a NHS doctor - they have to upload and register the patients' National Insurance number (and top-up private insurance details if applicable) into the Goverment database. This can take up more time than face-to-face dealing with the patient, and they're obliged to do a minimum of 40 per day. Our local GP makes appointments up to 19:00 daily, is ALWAYS running late and I see her lights on until 20:00 most evenings.

The service is appalling.

Can never get an appointment just constantly told to call back the next day or turn up in person at 8 to see if there are any appointments available. It’s a sign of how clueless or entitled they are that they think working people can just drop everything and hang around GP surgeries each morning.

And often one has to see a GP for absolutely no reason, because they insist on pointlessly acting as gatekeeper for repeat prescriptions or mundane tests that they shouldn’t need to be involved in.

By *coptoCouple 24 weeks ago

Côte d'Azur & Great Yarmouth

"And often one has to see a GP... for repeat prescriptions or mundane tests"

Yes, but the Doctor DOES get paid a "consultancy fee" each time they do that! My (UK) practice used to insist that if I had two problems I reserved two time slots...

By *ools and the brain OP   Couple 24 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

You know back in the olden days,

When I was a nipper you didn't call the surgery for an appointment you turned up took a number and waited to be seen,ok it may have been 2,3 even 4 hours but you got see the same day!

I'd happily pay a nominal fee say £20 for this service to return.

By *melie LALWoman 24 weeks ago

Peterborough

"The service is appalling.

Can never get an appointment just constantly told to call back the next day or turn up in person at 8 to see if there are any appointments available. It’s a sign of how clueless or entitled they are that they think working people can just drop everything and hang around GP surgeries each morning.

And often one has to see a GP for absolutely no reason, because they insist on pointlessly acting as gatekeeper for repeat prescriptions or mundane tests that they shouldn’t need to be involved in."

Entitled

As for repeat prescriptions, no they don't have to see you. There are, however, periodic reviews of meds.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 24 weeks ago

Gilfach

"As for repeat prescriptions, no they don't have to see you. There are, however, periodic reviews of meds."

There are supposed to be. On my repeat prescription there is some small text that says "you can order this medicine 2 more times". It's said that for the past 18 months.

By *melie LALWoman 24 weeks ago

Peterborough

"As for repeat prescriptions, no they don't have to see you. There are, however, periodic reviews of meds.

There are supposed to be. On my repeat prescription there is some small text that says "you can order this medicine 2 more times". It's said that for the past 18 months."

Perhaps the box wasn't ticked. Neighbourhood teams (replaced CCGs) use different software. And sometimes staff aren't fully up on using the software.

You have the right to discuss review of meds.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan 24 weeks ago

nearby

20% appointments don’t turn up

37% patients overweight, 26% obese, 6+ million smokers, 3+ million on recreational drugs

Appointment service maybe alot better if ppl took more care of themselves.

» Add a new message to this topic