FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Autumn statement weds 22 nov

Autumn statement weds 22 nov

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *melie LAL OP   Woman 24 weeks ago

Peterborough

For all those budding chancellors out there, what do you hope will be in this budget update? What do hope won't be in it? What do you think will be in it? Finally, what should be in it for the country's sake?

Get your crystal balls out peeps

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

Peterborough

I watched Hunt on LK, but couldn't absorb anything he was saying. He was sending me to sleep (he has a soothing voice).

By *irldnCouple 24 weeks ago

Brighton

The magic money tree will start spouting green shoots as we head towards the General Election. Expect some modest(ish) tax giveaways this time and then a few more less modest ones in April. They’ll be talk of “headroom” too.

Peterborough

"The magic money tree will start spouting green shoots as we head towards the General Election. Expect some modest(ish) tax giveaways this time and then a few more less modest ones in April. They’ll be talk of “headroom” too."

Would increasing inheritance tax allowances be seen as modest when it'd only benefit the top 4%? If I recall correctly from LK

By *ony 2016Man 24 weeks ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

"The magic money tree will start spouting green shoots as we head towards the General Election. Expect some modest(ish) tax giveaways this time and then a few more less modest ones in April. They’ll be talk of “headroom” too.

Would increasing inheritance tax allowances be seen as modest when it'd only benefit the top 4%? If I recall correctly from LK "

it doesn't only benefit the top 4% , it also benefits the other 96% because they can play the lottery and one day they may win

Brighton

"The magic money tree will start spouting green shoots as we head towards the General Election. Expect some modest(ish) tax giveaways this time and then a few more less modest ones in April. They’ll be talk of “headroom” too.

Would increasing inheritance tax allowances be seen as modest when it'd only benefit the top 4%? If I recall correctly from LK "

That’s precisely why it is modest. The opposite would be reducing the basic rate of income tax.

By *ools and the brainCouple 24 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

It's all slight of hand card tricks.

Give you in one hand and steal from the other.

I can't see anything major happening to make a blind bit of difference, other than the proposed changes to inheritance tax which for the average person won't make a lot of difference.

I'd like to see better schemes for helping first time buyers,I'd rather they spent the money on that than some ridiculous smart motorway that no-one wants or another HS2 debacle.

By *panksspankedMan 24 weeks ago

Edinburgh

Don't expect anything really. He's hoping to win some votes next April prior to a May election

By *wosmilersCouple 24 weeks ago

Heathrowish

Use the apparent availability of funds to start dealing with the care problem, maybe by a 1%rise in NI?

However, if it has to be tax cuts, I would prefer tax cuts to be in the form of raising the personal allowance which would benefit every taxpayer but have a greater benefit on the lower earning taxpayers.

Of course, this doesn't help anyone earning below the level of the personal allowance.

By *wisted999Man 24 weeks ago

North Bucks

The big head turner will be inheritance tax.

By *panksspankedMan 24 weeks ago

Edinburgh

"The big head turner will be inheritance tax. "

That's not going to do much for most people.

Peterborough

Would increasing inheritance tax allowances be seen as modest when it'd only benefit the top 4%? If I recall correctly from LK

it doesn't only benefit the top 4% , it also benefits the other 96% because they can play the lottery and one day they may win "

By *idnight RamblerMan 24 weeks ago

Pershore

Inheritance tax, corporation tax, personal allowance, ISAs, state benefits. It's all been leaked to avoid the 'surprises' that brought Liz Truss down when she spooked the City.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 24 weeks ago

golden fields

"The big head turner will be inheritance tax.

That's not going to do much for most people."

It's not meant to.

Pershore

"The big head turner will be inheritance tax.

That's not going to do much for most people."

Currently 4% of estates pay IH, but it's set to rise to 7% as boomers fall off their perches. That's not insignificant.

By *exy_HornyCouple 24 weeks ago

Leigh

Reducing the ridiculously high tax burden should be in it.

Re-linking tax allowances to inflation would benefit most people.

I suspect that minor tinkering is all we'll get, including some changes to IHT.

By *uietbloke67Man 24 weeks ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

Free fish and chips on a Tuesday for all.

By *AFKA HovisMan 24 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

For me, the guy on QT sold business rate cuts. We should focus on why we want cuts and then work from there.

IHT does little imo to help kick-start the economy. It also needs a full review. If we are worried about boomers increase the nil rate residence element only.

As a poster says, we need to address care at soneo point. This is a huge one for me as it's a ticking time bomb... And also the bottle neck for the NHS today.

By *anifestoMan 24 weeks ago

dublin and wexford

All those with wages rising faster than prices as per Sunak's statement please step forward

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 24 weeks ago

Gilfach

"Reducing the ridiculously high tax burden should be in it."

We don't have a ridiculously high tax burden. Taxes today are slightly lower than they were back in 2010, before the Tories took over.

Leigh

"Reducing the ridiculously high tax burden should be in it.

We don't have a ridiculously high tax burden. Taxes today are slightly lower than they were back in 2010, before the Tories took over."

At over 33% it is high, and much of it is wasted.

By *AFKA HovisMan 24 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

We don't have a ridiculously high tax burden. Taxes today are slightly lower than they were back in 2010, before the Tories took over."

I agree it's not ridiculous but curious what measurement you are using to say it's lower than 2010.

(I'd also add tax is only half the equation and we need to factor in borrowing)

Gilfach

"Reducing the ridiculously high tax burden should be in it."

"We don't have a ridiculously high tax burden. Taxes today are slightly lower than they were back in 2010, before the Tories took over."

"At over 33% it is high, and much of it is wasted."

I can sympathise with that view. But none of the existing parties is going to make any significant reduction in taxation, or in levels of government.

By (user no longer on site) 24 weeks ago

Listening to Kwarteng being interviewed yesterday his view is that the group thinkers at the OBR and Treasury simply cannot accept that reducing the tax burden has any impact on economic growth, so it simply becomes a zero risk exercise of increasing taxes to fund more expenditure or reducing expenditure to cut taxes.

It’s not really surprising that we are stuck in some sort of zero growth death spiral when those who control the economic and fiscal levers are so devoid of ideas or ambition.

Leigh

We don't have a ridiculously high tax burden. Taxes today are slightly lower than they were back in 2010, before the Tories took over.

At over 33% it is high, and much of it is wasted.

I can sympathise with that view. But none of the existing parties is going to make any significant reduction in taxation, or in levels of government."

Unfortunately I think you are correct.

There are all sorts of stealth taxes in this country. The ones in the news this week are standing charges for gas and electricity, these are a complete travesty and should be banned. The cost of running the network should be added to the unit price (which should be based on the average not the most expensive generation cost). All of us having to pay for poorly regulated companies that went bust is a scandal. In fact, better nationalise the industry and only have one supplier.

Peterborough

"Free fish and chips on a Tuesday for all."

Woohoo

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 24 weeks ago

golden fields

"Free fish and chips on a Tuesday for all."

I'd vote the country further into the ground for free fish n chips!

Leigh

"Free fish and chips on a Tuesday for all.

I'd vote the country further into the ground for free fish n chips!"

With the price of fish n chips now, it would bankrupt the country very quickly.

By *ony 2016Man 24 weeks ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

"Free fish and chips on a Tuesday for all.

Woohoo"

AT LAST I knew Mogg would come true on his promise of cheaper food if we left The EU

By *ools and the brainCouple 24 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

"All those with wages rising faster than prices as per Sunak's statement please step forward "

(Takes three steps back)

Peterborough

"All those with wages rising faster than prices as per Sunak's statement please step forward

(Takes three steps back)"

I think that accounts for many of us. Especially public sector workers.

By *eroy1000Man 24 weeks ago

milton keynes

"All those with wages rising faster than prices as per Sunak's statement please step forward "

What is the inflation rate for the past 12 months to compare it too. I've seen the high point and seen some lower figures from earlier in the year but not sure what it works out as overall

By *ired_upMan 24 weeks ago

ashton

At over 33% it is high, and much of it is wasted."

How much is wasted and how have you come to that figure being waste?

Gilfach

"What is the inflation rate for the past 12 months to compare it too. I've seen the high point and seen some lower figures from earlier in the year but not sure what it works out as overall"

Inflation is currently at 4.7% according to the ONS (end of October figure). It's calculated by taking today's prices, and comparing them to a year ago, so the 4.7% figure covers the entire past year.

milton keynes

"What is the inflation rate for the past 12 months to compare it too. I've seen the high point and seen some lower figures from earlier in the year but not sure what it works out as overall

Inflation is currently at 4.7% according to the ONS (end of October figure). It's calculated by taking today's prices, and comparing them to a year ago, so the 4.7% figure covers the entire past year."

Thank you. I was thinking it would be an average of this year's inflation figures but if we can use the latest monthly figure then I'm definitely ahead of prices

Peterborough

I read an article about the DWP checking benefit claimants bank accounts.

Totally get why but will they have the ability to check accounts they haven't been informed about? Otherwise those claiming will just make other accounts,maybe under different names (like children).

Peterborough

And since I'm mentioning the DWP, why is it subcontracting to other companies who in turn also subcontract out. Surely this is more expensive than directly employing people?

By *oversfunCouple 24 weeks ago

ayrshire

"I read an article about the DWP checking benefit claimants bank accounts.

Totally get why but will they have the ability to check accounts they haven't been informed about? Otherwise those claiming will just make other accounts,maybe under different names (like children).

"

does the goverment have the authoraty to check anyones bank account? im asking as i dont know

By *wosmilersCouple 24 weeks ago

Heathrowish

does the goverment have the authoraty to check anyones bank account? im asking as i dont know"

Not without an application for a production order, an access order or a similar order through a court. However, a financial institution does have the obligation to report suspicious transactions or payments to law enforcement under various bits of money laundering legislation, which means that theoretically, anything is in the game. Smaller singular transactions are likely to be ignored as there really aren't enough investigation officers to look into these things.

ayrshire

does the goverment have the authoraty to check anyones bank account? im asking as i dont know

Not without an application for a production order, an access order or a similar order through a court. However, a financial institution does have the obligation to report suspicious transactions or payments to law enforcement under various bits of money laundering legislation, which means that theoretically, anything is in the game. Smaller singular transactions are likely to be ignored as there really aren't enough investigation officers to look into these things."

Thanks,i knew aboutreporting suspicious acctivity ,so why will they have the right to check benefit claimants and only them ?and if so then why is this being allowed ?

Peterborough

Not without an application for a production order, an access order or a similar order through a court. However, a financial institution does have the obligation to report suspicious transactions or payments to law enforcement under various bits of money laundering legislation, which means that theoretically, anything is in the game. Smaller singular transactions are likely to be ignored as there really aren't enough investigation officers to look into these things.

Thanks,i knew aboutreporting suspicious acctivity ,so why will they have the right to check benefit claimants and only them ?and if so then why is this being allowed ?"

We will find out today.

The rationale is to check whether people are lying or not. For example, if a single person has £16,000+ in savings, they are not entitled to claim.

Peterborough

Thanks,i knew aboutreporting suspicious acctivity ,so why will they have the right to check benefit claimants and only them ?and if so then why is this being allowed ?

We will find out today.

The rationale is to check whether people are lying or not. For example, if a single person has £16,000+ in savings, they are not entitled to claim."

Not entitled to claim universal credit.

ayrshire

We will find out today.

The rationale is to check whether people are lying or not. For example, if a single person has £16,000+ in savings, they are not entitled to claim.

Not entitled to claim universal credit."

Thanks, i just dont get why they will be allowed to check benefit claimants? Do you think the royals or mps will have their bank accounts checked as both also claim taxpayers money

Leigh

We will find out today.

Thanks, i just dont get why they will be allowed to check benefit claimants? Do you think the royals or mps will have their bank accounts checked as both also claim taxpayers money"

Why shouldn't they check the bank accounts of benefit claimants? Should also be able to check the accounts of anyone who is financially linked to the claimant if this makes a difference to eligibility.

If the benefit is means tested then those means need to be verified.

By *resesse_MelioremCouple 24 weeks ago

Border of London

"Thanks, i just dont get why they will be allowed to check benefit claimants? Do you think the royals or mps will have their bank accounts checked as both also claim taxpayers money"

When something is "means tested", then there needs to be a way to test the means, right?

Royals and MPs (and civil servants and people receiving NON-means-tested benefits) do not need their means to be tested, right?

Brighton

"Thanks, i just dont get why they will be allowed to check benefit claimants? Do you think the royals or mps will have their bank accounts checked as both also claim taxpayers money

When something is "means tested", then there needs to be a way to test the means, right?

Royals and MPs (and civil servants and people receiving NON-means-tested benefits) do not need their means to be tested, right?"

And whether we agree with or not, the Royals get an “allowance” or a “settlement” or a type of salary in return for their services to the nation. MPs are paid a salary and expenses for doing their job.

Not the same as benefits.

Pershore

We will find out today.

Thanks, i just dont get why they will be allowed to check benefit claimants? Do you think the royals or mps will have their bank accounts checked as both also claim taxpayers money"

I think it's reasonable to check a person's eligibility for receiving state benefits. This is public money after all, collected from taxes that many people can ill afford.

milton keynes

"Thanks, i just dont get why they will be allowed to check benefit claimants? Do you think the royals or mps will have their bank accounts checked as both also claim taxpayers money

Royals and MPs (and civil servants and people receiving NON-means-tested benefits) do not need their means to be tested, right?

And whether we agree with or not, the Royals get an “allowance” or a “settlement” or a type of salary in return for their services to the nation. MPs are paid a salary and expenses for doing their job.

Not the same as benefits."

The money for the royal's originates from the royal's in the first place

By *abioMan 24 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

So 6.7% for universal credit and 8.4% for the state pension….

Class 2 national insurance abolished for self employed… however if you want the state pension entitlement you can pay it voluntarily

By *abioMan 24 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"So 6.7% for universal credit and 8.4% for the state pension….

Class 2 national insurance abolished for self employed… however if you want the state pension entitlement you can pay it voluntarily

"

And the devil is going to be in the detail.. because if they then have to pay class 3…. Instead of looking at £170 they will be looking at about £1000

Living wage going up by 9.4%

By *astandFeistyCouple 24 weeks ago

Bournemouth

And the devil is going to be in the detail.. because if they then have to pay class 3…. Instead of looking at £170 they will be looking at about £1000

Living wage going up by 9.4%"

I don't think class 3 is gonna come into it with him cutting employee NI by 2%

By *abioMan 24 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Ooh national insurance down from 12% to 10%….. from jan 6…

That is an interesting one!

So a 30% tax burden instead of a 32% one for everyone earning between 12850 and 50000….

By *abioMan 24 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I don't think class 3 is gonna come into it with him cutting employee NI by 2%"

Self employed people won’t see the 2% cut

For those at the lower end of the self employed scale it will… I would have to do the sums… but I think the 1% cut in class 4 isn’t going to cover the class 2 to class 3 voluntary increase to keep up state pension contributions

Bournemouth

For those at the lower end of the self employed scale it will… I would have to do the sums… but I think the 1% cut in class 4 isn’t going to cover the class 2 to class 3 voluntary increase to keep up state pension contributions "

As you say, we'll have to wait for the detail. From what I heard, abolishing class 2 isn't going to affect entitlement. I don't quite know what that means yet.

By *abioMan 24 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

For those at the lower end of the self employed scale it will… I would have to do the sums… but I think the 1% cut in class 4 isn’t going to cover the class 2 to class 3 voluntary increase to keep up state pension contributions

As you say, we'll have to wait for the detail. From what I heard, abolishing class 2 isn't going to affect entitlement. I don't quite know what that means yet. "

In which case the argument is going to be that the self employed already paid a lot less to keep up state pension contributions (they were only paying 165 per year) if it is now the case they are going to pay nothing.. that is going to cause a backlash, conversely if they now have to pay class 3 ni contributions which will be about £1000 per year, that is going to hurt self employed people…

I did wonder one other thing….

Because he is going to rush in the employees ni cut to January instead of the normal April… possible spring general election?

By (user no longer on site) 24 weeks ago

As you say, we'll have to wait for the detail. From what I heard, abolishing class 2 isn't going to affect entitlement. I don't quite know what that means yet.

In which case the argument is going to be that the self employed already paid a lot less to keep up state pension contributions (they were only paying 165 per year) if it is now the case they are going to pay nothing.. that is going to cause a backlash, conversely if they now have to pay class 3 ni contributions which will be about £1000 per year, that is going to hurt self employed people…

Because he is going to rush in the employees ni cut to January instead of the normal April… possible spring general election?

"

I'm praying for a Spring election. I think they want to avoid an overlap with the US election, so it's possible.

The quicker we get this incompetent government out the better.

Bournemouth

"

There will always be arguments re. Employed vs self employed NI.

I do expect a May GE.

By *orleymanMan 24 weeks ago

Leeds

"For all those budding chancellors out there, what do you hope will be in this budget update? What do hope won't be in it? What do you think will be in it? Finally, what should be in it for the country's sake?

Get your crystal balls out peeps "

A nothing budget that doesn't address the debt to gdp nor encourage growth of the economy. Than what's already going on really.

Peterborough

"Ooh national insurance down from 12% to 10%….. from jan 6…

That is an interesting one!

So a 30% tax burden instead of a 32% one for everyone earning between 12850 and 50000…. "

That lower figure needs raising!

ayrshire

We will find out today.

Thanks, i just dont get why they will be allowed to check benefit claimants? Do you think the royals or mps will have their bank accounts checked as both also claim taxpayers money

Why shouldn't they check the bank accounts of benefit claimants? Should also be able to check the accounts of anyone who is financially linked to the claimant if this makes a difference to eligibility.

If the benefit is means tested then those means need to be verified."

But why just benefit claimants?mps claim expenses on top of their wages,and the royals are worth billions but still steal our taxes ,so they both should be means tested

ayrshire

We will find out today.

I think it's reasonable to check a person's eligibility for receiving state benefits. This is public money after all, collected from taxes that many people can ill afford."

But as i said above why just benefit claimants?

ayrshire

The money for the royal's originates from the royal's in the first place"

Dont get what you mean about originates from the royals ?

milton keynes

Dont get what you mean about originates from the royals ?"

They pay 100% of the profits from their crown estate business to the government. The government then hand back around 15 to 20% of it

Peterborough

Dont get what you mean about originates from the royals ?"

You need to look into this yourself. Google is your friends.

ayrshire

They pay 100% of the profits from their crown estate business to the government. The government then hand back around 15 to 20% of it "

Them crown estates were st_len centuries ago and im pretty sure they get tax payers money to run them

Brighton

[Removed by poster at 24/11/23 10:52:44]

Brighton

There is a little known law initially considered as an addendum to the Magna Carta that subsequently appeared in the small print of the Act of Settlement in 1701 whereby the monarch is paid a stipend in return for “closely listening to the will of their subjects with unwavering attention to aural discussion” that was believed to be enhanced by the size of their ears. Charles III is raking it in having ascended the throne!

milton keynes

They pay 100% of the profits from their crown estate business to the government. The government then hand back around 15 to 20% of it

Them crown estates were st_len centuries ago and im pretty sure they get tax payers money to run them "

The raining monarch automatically owns vast amounts of UK land and I think the sea bed too. They levy a fee on the use of the land which is paid to the crown estate, which administers all this land. 100% of the profits is paid to the government. Then the government pay back 15 to 20% and keep the remaining 80 to 85%. The fact that the monarch gets this land is a separate subject but those are the facts

» Add a new message to this topic