FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > BBC Christmas Day viewing

BBC Christmas Day viewing

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP    19 weeks ago

This year’s delights include Mrs Brown’s Boys, Eastenders, Call the Midwife, Ghosts Christmas Special, Michael McIntyre’s Christmas Wheel, Strictly, and a short story from Julie Donaldson. Not to mention ten minutes of eco-propaganda from the guy pretending to be our monarch.

It’s obviously nice that there is still a broadcaster around to pander to brainwashed low IQ Labour voters.

But seriously why are the rest of us still being forced to pay for this crap?

It’s 2023 not 1946.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *exy_HornyCouple 19 weeks ago

Leigh

"This year’s delights include Mrs Brown’s Boys, Eastenders, Call the Midwife, Ghosts Christmas Special, Michael McIntyre’s Christmas Wheel, Strictly, and a short story from Julie Donaldson. Not to mention ten minutes of eco-propaganda from the guy pretending to be our monarch.

It’s obviously nice that there is still a broadcaster around to pander to brainwashed low IQ Labour voters.

It’s 2023 not 1946."

Fully agree.

However none of the other terrestrial channels are any better.

By *icecouple561Couple 19 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

You don't have to pay for a television licence.

By *irldnCouple 19 weeks ago

Brighton

I’ll be watching Julia Donaldson though! Really sweet and reminds me when the kids were smaller. Won’t watch the rest! Soaps are awful depressing rubbish and hate gameshows.

Nintendo Switch is way to go with all the generations in our house this xmas.

By *melie LALWoman 19 weeks ago

Peterborough

"This year’s delights include Mrs Brown’s Boys, Eastenders, Call the Midwife, Ghosts Christmas Special, Michael McIntyre’s Christmas Wheel, Strictly, and a short story from Julie Donaldson. Not to mention ten minutes of eco-propaganda from the guy pretending to be our monarch.

It’s 2023 not 1946."

What should I, a Labour supporter with an incredibly high IQ, watch?

By *os19Man 19 weeks ago

Edmonton

I’m looking forward to Eastenders and when I return to work on the 28th December me and my two lady lunch buddies will have a lot of catching up to do as I have been off since 16th December.I may have to ask for a two hour lunch lol.

By *allySlinkyWoman 19 weeks ago

Leeds

"

What should I, a Labour supporter with an incredibly high IQ, watch?"

Maybe a lettuce to see if it lasts longer than Sunak ?

By *AFKA HovisMan 19 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

It’s 2023 not 1946."

what would you rather see? I'm gonna spend the day with my niece. not bothered what's on TV that day. And boxing day football ftw.

By *usybee73Man 19 weeks ago

in the sticks

Never paid for a license, so couldn't give 2 shits ... whole world outside the front door

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 19 weeks ago

Gilfach

It’s 2023 not 1946."

What's wrong with Ghosts?

Peterborough

"

What should I, a Labour supporter with an incredibly high IQ, watch?

Maybe a lettuce to see if it lasts longer than Sunak ?"

A Brussel sprout is more in keeping with the season (and he is little )

By *csheffMan 19 weeks ago

Sheffield

It’s 2023 not 1946.

What should I, a Labour supporter with an incredibly high IQ, watch?"

Channel 4 hehe

By *ewjordanMan 19 weeks ago

harrow

Love this

By *allySlinkyWoman 19 weeks ago

Leeds

"

A Brussel sprout is more in keeping with the season (and he is little )"

I agree it's a great comparison but he voted Brexit so Brussels won't want him to be their little sprout.

By (user no longer on site) 19 weeks ago

Low iq Labour voters hummmmm!! Bit of a cheap tory boy comment there and some of us have a bit more respect for our king if you don’t mind. Having said that the tv is crap Xmas Day always is since the last only fools aired but i always find looking at my kids faces in the morning followed by a bloody good turkey feeding few beers and the missus sitting her incredible vagina on my dick in the evening makes for a wonderful Xmas day. Merry Xmas all xx

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 19 weeks ago

golden fields

"Low iq Labour voters hummmmm!! Bit of a cheap tory boy comment there "

Especially from someone who describes science as "eco-propaganda".

Gilfach

"Low iq Labour voters hummmmm!! Bit of a cheap tory boy comment there"

"Especially from someone who describes science as "eco-propaganda". "

It seems very unlikely that the King will be giving us any science in his speech. If he touches on eco subjects at all I suspect it'll be more of his usual rambling, not a science lesson.

golden fields

"Low iq Labour voters hummmmm!! Bit of a cheap tory boy comment there

It seems very unlikely that the King will be giving us any science in his speech. If he touches on eco subjects at all I suspect it'll be more of his usual rambling, not a science lesson."

Are they not based in science, or is it just some propaganda?

Especially from someone who describes science as "eco-propaganda". "

Oh yes “The Science” TM. I’m sure you’ve already bought your Tesla and Heat Pump like the IPCC have told you. That is what The Science TM says no?

Though not quite sure how you are are managing to post on this forum without any electricity, plastic or oil.

Are you just another hypocrite?

Gilfach

"It seems very unlikely that the King will be giving us any science in his speech. If he touches on eco subjects at all I suspect it'll be more of his usual rambling, not a science lesson."

"Are they not based in science, or is it just some propaganda?"

Given the King's fondness for taking to his plants, and the recent appointment of a royal homeopath, I don't think that science looms large in Charles' mind.

golden fields

Oh yes “The Science” TM. I’m sure you’ve already bought your Tesla and Heat Pump like the IPCC have told you. That is what The Science TM says no?

"

What's TM?

But no, this is not what th science tells us.

"

Though not quite sure how you are are managing to post on this forum without any electricity, plastic or oil.

Are you just another hypocrite?"

Merry Christmas

golden fields

"It seems very unlikely that the King will be giving us any science in his speech. If he touches on eco subjects at all I suspect it'll be more of his usual rambling, not a science lesson.

Are they not based in science, or is it just some propaganda?

Given the King's fondness for taking to his plants, and the recent appointment of a royal homeopath, I don't think that science looms large in Charles' mind."

Good. We don't want any extreme far left bollocks like "science" giving us information about the climate.

By *wosmilersCouple 19 weeks ago

Heathrowish

While what we watch is a matter of personal taste, this does beg a much deeper issue.

Once the current funding model is replaced, where will the BBC look to for income.

When the licence was introduced, there was only one channel. Now there are thousands of sources of visual entertainment and many are outside of the necessity to pay for one.

Therefore, it is unlikely that the BBC can survive in its current structure, with its current output.

The BBC is its own worst enemy and has constantly failed to address structural and production issues.

No government or prospective government seems to want to address funding and governance and the issue is constantly being kicked into the long grass.

Peterborough

"

I agree it's a great comparison but he voted Brexit so Brussels won't want him to be their little sprout. "

Peterborough

"

I agree it's a great comparison but he voted Brexit so Brussels won't want him to be their little sprout.

"

Aldi has Kevin the carrot, does it he government have rishi the radish?

By *oversfunCouple 19 weeks ago

ayrshire

It’s 2023 not 1946."

Who is forcing you to pay ?

It’s 2023 not 1946.

Who is forcing you to pay ?"

Yeah sure I could not pay and not watch any live television. What an amazingly free choice I have there.

Look nobody is forcing you to pay the protection money but I’m just saying, this street is very dangerous. I wouldn’t want your shop to get burned out.

ayrshire

It’s 2023 not 1946.

Yeah sure I could not pay and not watch any live television. What an amazingly free choice I have there.

Look nobody is forcing you to pay the protection money but I’m just saying, this street is very dangerous. I wouldn’t want your shop to get burned out."

You do talk in riddles and try change the subject,so you willingly pay and no one forces you ,thanks for clearing that up

By *abioMan 19 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

It’s 2023 not 1946."

It basically costs you 60p per day to get something of the finest output.. plus it covers national and local radio, the iPlayer and the website….

Do you have to complain about everything… do you ever have a day off?

It’s 2023 not 1946.

It basically costs you 60p per day to get something of the finest output.. plus it covers national and local radio, the iPlayer and the website….

Do you have to complain about everything… do you ever have a day off? "

“Finest output”.

Mate the BBC is total shit. If you think its output is “fine” you are seriously deluded. Its just total biased parochial trash.

And to be honest nobody is forcing you to read anything I post. Stop boring the forum with your banal CNN take on the world.

It’s 2023 not 1946.

Look nobody is forcing you to pay the protection money but I’m just saying, this street is very dangerous. I wouldn’t want your shop to get burned out.

You do talk in riddles and try change the subject,so you willingly pay and no one forces you ,thanks for clearing that up"

I haven’t changed the subject at all. I pay for the licence fee like I pay all my other taxes. Nobody forces me to pay those either I guess. Presumably you aren’t actually as stupid as your comment suggests you are?

By *elanie de la CoeurTV/TS 19 weeks ago

Dublin

Mrs Browns Boys is our revenge on the British for 800 years of colonisation

ayrshire

It’s 2023 not 1946.

You do talk in riddles and try change the subject,so you willingly pay and no one forces you ,thanks for clearing that up

I haven’t changed the subject at all. I pay for the licence fee like I pay all my other taxes. Nobody forces me to pay those either I guess. Presumably you aren’t actually as stupid as your comment suggests you are?"

You tried to change the subject to prtection money ,and you are the said your being forced to pay for that crap ,surely your not that stupid to forget you said that

Peterborough

It’s 2023 not 1946.

“Finest output”.

Mate the BBC is total shit. If you think its output is “fine” you are seriously deluded. Its just total biased parochial trash.

And to be honest nobody is forcing you to read anything I post. Stop boring the forum with your banal CNN take on the world."

He isn't boring

Peterborough

It’s 2023 not 1946.

“Finest output”.

And to be honest nobody is forcing you to read anything I post. Stop boring the forum with your banal CNN take on the world."

By *wisted999Man 19 weeks ago

North Bucks

I might become one of the increasing amount who does not pay their licence fee in the New Year.

I use very little of its services and will cope without.

I did not watch traditional television at all yesterday. None of the listings appealed.

By *abioMan 19 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

It’s 2023 not 1946.

“Finest output”.

The natural history unit is world leading

The foreign news section… whether you like it or not.. wins international awards for its journalism

The children’s section makes more money for the bbc to reinvest than you probably realise

You may not like strictly for example… but because they own the format.. how many countries do you think they have sold that too?

Same with masterchef…..

You might not listen to your local bbc radio station… but millions do at some point during their week!

The national Radio stations… I listen to a bit of 4.. more of 5… 2 if I need some comfort music, and the proms coverage 3 does is outstanding!

Same with the service that the world service provides…

You might not like their sports coverage, but when for example both main channels are showing the same event, which are most people watching ? Olympic Games, euros 2024, and I am glad they are being more savvy about buying the highlights rather than getting into a bidding war with the pay tv providers!

Your M.O is always to piss on someone else’s chips and to rile up anyone you consider “lib” for shits and giggles

So rather than spout some pre fed line you have.. if you want to have an actual conversation then we can do that… I am all for that….

Choice is yours….. I really hope you step up, because there are more points …

There is a big part of me that thinks you actually won’t though….. it will be lib this, or woke that…..

Gilfach

I still want to know what's wrong with Ghosts. All those other shows I can think of reasons why someone might not like them, but I've never heard anyone say a bad word about Ghosts.

Brighton

"I still want to know what's wrong with Ghosts. All those other shows I can think of reasons why someone might not like them, but I've never heard anyone say a bad word about Ghosts."

Never watched it. Any good?

golden fields

"I still want to know what's wrong with Ghosts. All those other shows I can think of reasons why someone might not like them, but I've never heard anyone say a bad word about Ghosts.

Never watched it. Any good?"

It's pretty funny. Although non-snowflake, normal type people who are extremely easily outraged don't like it because one of the characters is the ghost of a sleazy Tory.

Brighton

"I still want to know what's wrong with Ghosts. All those other shows I can think of reasons why someone might not like them, but I've never heard anyone say a bad word about Ghosts.

It's pretty funny. Although non-snowflake, normal type people who are extremely easily outraged don't like it because one of the characters is the ghost of a sleazy Tory. "

Is Boris dead?

It's pretty funny. Although non-snowflake, normal type people who are extremely easily outraged don't like it because one of the characters is the ghost of a sleazy Tory. "

I’m shocked that you spend your extensive leisure time glued to the BBC. Very surprising.

golden fields

It's pretty funny. Although non-snowflake, normal type people who are extremely easily outraged don't like it because one of the characters is the ghost of a sleazy Tory.

I’m shocked that you spend your extensive leisure time glued to the BBC. Very surprising."

You claimed to be familiar with 8 BBC shows. You know I'm familiar with one show.

So just so I'm clear, you're saying.

Being familiar with one show = being glued to the BBC.

Being familiar with 8 shows = not being glued to th BBC.

By *eroy1000Man 19 weeks ago

milton keynes

"I might become one of the increasing amount who does not pay their licence fee in the New Year.

I did not watch traditional television at all yesterday. None of the listings appealed. "

Can you still watch non BBC on a tv without a license? Ages ago I was told that if you have a device capable of receiving BBC content then you need a license regardless of if you watch it or not. If you are allowed then do you have to prove you are not watching BBC content or do they have to prove you do?

golden fields

"I might become one of the increasing amount who does not pay their licence fee in the New Year.

I did not watch traditional television at all yesterday. None of the listings appealed.

Can you still watch non BBC on a tv without a license? Ages ago I was told that if you have a device capable of receiving BBC content then you need a license regardless of if you watch it or not. If you are allowed then do you have to prove you are not watching BBC content or do they have to prove you do?"

From Tvlicensing website FAQs:

"You can cancel your licence if you no longer: watch or record TV on any channel via any TV service (e.g. Sky, Virgin, Freeview, Freesat) watch live on streaming services (e.g. ITVX, Channel 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now, Sky Go)"

milton keynes

Can you still watch non BBC on a tv without a license? Ages ago I was told that if you have a device capable of receiving BBC content then you need a license regardless of if you watch it or not. If you are allowed then do you have to prove you are not watching BBC content or do they have to prove you do?

"You can cancel your licence if you no longer: watch or record TV on any channel via any TV service (e.g. Sky, Virgin, Freeview, Freesat) watch live on streaming services (e.g. ITVX, Channel 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now, Sky Go)""

Ok thank you, that's changed then to what I was told, mind you it was ages ago. So it's any tv channel as long as its live means you need a license. I thought it would have been more bbc focused but perhaps not. Still a difficult thing to either prove or disprove. I like the BBC personally but I do understand some people's frustration of the fee

By *abioMan 19 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

So roger….. question?

Do you actually believe in public service broadcasting?

Gilfach

"Can you still watch non BBC on a tv without a license? Ages ago I was told that if you have a device capable of receiving BBC content then you need a license regardless of if you watch it or not. If you are allowed then do you have to prove you are not watching BBC content or do they have to prove you do?"

"From Tvlicensing website FAQs:

"You can cancel your licence if you no longer: watch or record TV on any channel via any TV service (e.g. Sky, Virgin, Freeview, Freesat) watch live on streaming services (e.g. ITVX, Channel 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now, Sky Go)""

"Ok thank you, that's changed then to what I was told, mind you it was ages ago. So it's any tv channel as long as its live means you need a license. I thought it would have been more bbc focused but perhaps not. Still a difficult thing to either prove or disprove. I like the BBC personally but I do understand some people's frustration of the fee"

The law is that you need a TV Licence if you have "equipment capable of receiving a TV broadcast". But that was really badly worded since, technically, a piece of wire can 'receive' aTV signal.

In practice judges will not hear a case unless there's some proof that you actually watch, or record, live TV. Having a TV with a connected aerial is good enough for a prosecution, as is having some sort of recorder connected to the aerial. I can't find any case law involving streaming live TV, so that's an area where they can push their luck with judges.

milton keynes

"Can you still watch non BBC on a tv without a license? Ages ago I was told that if you have a device capable of receiving BBC content then you need a license regardless of if you watch it or not. If you are allowed then do you have to prove you are not watching BBC content or do they have to prove you do?

"You can cancel your licence if you no longer: watch or record TV on any channel via any TV service (e.g. Sky, Virgin, Freeview, Freesat) watch live on streaming services (e.g. ITVX, Channel 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now, Sky Go)"

Ok thank you, that's changed then to what I was told, mind you it was ages ago. So it's any tv channel as long as its live means you need a license. I thought it would have been more bbc focused but perhaps not. Still a difficult thing to either prove or disprove. I like the BBC personally but I do understand some people's frustration of the fee

The law is that you need a TV Licence if you have "equipment capable of receiving a TV broadcast". But that was really badly worded since, technically, a piece of wire can 'receive' aTV signal.

In practice judges will not hear a case unless there's some proof that you actually watch, or record, live TV. Having a TV with a connected aerial is good enough for a prosecution, as is having some sort of recorder connected to the aerial. I can't find any case law involving streaming live TV, so that's an area where they can push their luck with judges."

Ok so some of my original old information was correct-ish but I thought it was more bbc focused. If I understand you correctly then if I don't ever consume any BBC content but do watch non BBC channels live then I still need a license. If that's correct and if I am correct in saying the money from the license goes only to the BBC then it sounds unfair. Or does it get shared with other channels perhaps?.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple 19 weeks ago

in Lancashire

"So roger….. question?

Do you actually believe in public service broadcasting?"

It seems some others still do, nine of the top ten viewing figures for Christmas day were for on the BBC..

"So roger….. question?

It seems some others still do, nine of the top ten viewing figures for Christmas day were for on the BBC..

"

1. Is that surprising given the amount of subsidy given to the BBC compared to other broadcasters?

2. How do those figures relate to the population of the UK?

3. How does it justify forcing the vast majority of the population who were not watching those programmes to subside the viewing of the small percentage of the population that were watching the programmes?

I have no issue at all with people choosing to watch the BBC. If they want to watch it, fine they can pay for it.

I don’t expect people to subsidise my television viewing why do they expect me to subsidise theirs?

By *abioMan 19 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"So roger….. question?

1. Is that surprising given the amount of subsidy given to the BBC compared to other broadcasters?

3. How does it justify forcing the vast majority of the population who were not watching those programmes to subside the viewing of the small percentage of the population that were watching the programmes?

I have no issue at all with people choosing to watch the BBC. If they want to watch it, fine they can pay for it.

I don’t expect people to subsidise my television viewing why do they expect me to subsidise theirs?"

In various bits of my life I can guarantee that I am subsidising you… and you are probably subsidising mine

Have you ever heard of the phrase “for the greater good “ yeah… it’s one of those!!!

No one is holding a gun to your head making you watch or listen to any of their output!

Do you want to know how much BBC I watched or listened to on Xmas day… it was zero!!!

I admit I have recorded dr who which I will probably watch at some point today (a black dr who… who’d have funked it…)

But my day was spent with family eating way too much followed by being the taxi driver for relatives (me being the non alcoholic drinker) followed by eating too much.. followed by more taxi runs.. followed by more to eat

And when I did all that.. I watched half an NFL game on sky sports!

And I do not begrudge those who watched the BBC from breakfast to primetime a single penny!

"So roger….. question?

I don’t expect people to subsidise my television viewing why do they expect me to subsidise theirs?

In various bits of my life I can guarantee that I am subsidising you… and you are probably subsidising mine

Have you ever heard of the phrase “for the greater good “ yeah… it’s one of those!!!

No one is holding a gun to your head making you watch or listen to any of their output!

Do you want to know how much BBC I watched or listened to on Xmas day… it was zero!!!

I admit I have recorded dr who which I will probably watch at some point today (a black dr who… who’d have funked it…)

But my day was spent with family eating way too much followed by being the taxi driver for relatives (me being the non alcoholic drinker) followed by eating too much.. followed by more taxi runs.. followed by more to eat

And when I did all that.. I watched half an NFL game on sky sports!

And I do not begrudge those who watched the BBC from breakfast to primetime a single penny! "

Well that’s up to you. I am sure you will be free to subscribe to the BBC in the future and make additional voluntary contributions to top up their funding if you so wish.

I prefer not to.

Brighton

"So roger….. question?

1. Is that surprising given the amount of subsidy given to the BBC compared to other broadcasters? "

How does that influence what people actually watch?

"2. How do those figures relate to the population of the UK?"

TV viewing figures are compiled by BARB and are a representative sample of the entire UK population across all demographics.

"3. How does it justify forcing the vast majority of the population who were not watching those programmes to subside the viewing of the small percentage of the population that were watching the programmes?"

Without actual viewing figures we do not know whether it was a majority or a small percentage or not.

"I have no issue at all with people choosing to watch the BBC. If they want to watch it, fine they can pay for it.

I don’t expect people to subsidise my television viewing why do they expect me to subsidise theirs?"

You do understand that the TV Licence is not only there to fund popular TV programmes right? As an organisation with public service remit they are required to provide highly niche programming that would be unviable for any commercial entity. They have to provide learning/teaching resources. Radio stations with specific programming for each county. Etc

What is the licence fee anyway? £159 a year? Rog as a Tory supporter I had assumed you were fairly well off? That’s only the price of a nice meal for two with a mid menu bottle of wine!

in Lancashire

"So roger….. question?

By all means opt out, devote yourself to pay per view channels..

Pretty sure you'll find such gems like the Grinch on loop..

I'm guessing you won't because then you'd lose a topic to winge about instead of freeing yourself from the cost of however much it is and freedom to revel in the banal world of advertising..

Whatever you choose, enjoy..

Gilfach

"The law is that you need a TV Licence if you have "equipment capable of receiving a TV broadcast". But that was really badly worded since, technically, a piece of wire can 'receive' a TV signal.

In practice judges will not hear a case unless there's some proof that you actually watch, or record, live TV. Having a TV with a connected aerial is good enough for a prosecution, as is having some sort of recorder connected to the aerial. I can't find any case law involving streaming live TV, so that's an area where they can push their luck with judges."

"Ok so some of my original old information was correct-ish but I thought it was more bbc focused. If I understand you correctly then if I don't ever consume any BBC content but do watch non BBC channels live then I still need a license."

Correct. It's a TV licence, not a BBC-watching licence.

"If that's correct and if I am correct in saying the money from the license goes only to the BBC then it sounds unfair. Or does it get shared with other channels perhaps?."

No, all of the money goes to the BBC, along with all of the responsibility. No other broadcaster is required to provide radio services, or non-English language broadcasts, or a world-wide news network, or gets audited for impartiality.

Peterborough

"So roger….. question?

TV viewing figures are compiled by BARB and are a representative sample of the entire UK population across all demographics.

Without actual viewing figures we do not know whether it was a majority or a small percentage or not.

You do understand that the TV Licence is not only there to fund popular TV programmes right? As an organisation with public service remit they are required to provide highly niche programming that would be unviable for any commercial entity. They have to provide learning/teaching resources. Radio stations with specific programming for each county. Etc

What is the licence fee anyway? £159 a year? Rog as a Tory supporter I had assumed you were fairly well off? That’s only the price of a nice meal for two with a mid menu bottle of wine!"

Fuck me, you can take me out for meal anytime

Brighton

"So roger….. question?

What is the licence fee anyway? £159 a year? Rog as a Tory supporter I had assumed you were fairly well off? That’s only the price of a nice meal for two with a mid menu bottle of wine!

Fuck me, you can take me out for meal anytime "

In all honesty I can’t remember the last time I paid less than £100 for dinner for two. If you want a decent steak the prices are now astronomical.

By *usybee73Man 19 weeks ago

in the sticks

"The law is that you need a TV Licence if you have "equipment capable of receiving a TV broadcast". But that was really badly worded since, technically, a piece of wire can 'receive' a TV signal.

In practice judges will not hear a case unless there's some proof that you actually watch, or record, live TV. Having a TV with a connected aerial is good enough for a prosecution, as is having some sort of recorder connected to the aerial. I can't find any case law involving streaming live TV, so that's an area where they can push their luck with judges.

Ok so some of my original old information was correct-ish but I thought it was more bbc focused. If I understand you correctly then if I don't ever consume any BBC content but do watch non BBC channels live then I still need a license.

If that's correct and if I am correct in saying the money from the license goes only to the BBC then it sounds unfair. Or does it get shared with other channels perhaps?.

No, all of the money goes to the BBC, along with all of the responsibility. No other broadcaster is required to provide radio services, or non-English language broadcasts, or a world-wide news network, or gets audited for impartiality."

If it did go to court, you could argue that you haven't given permission for tv signals to enter your property

"So roger….. question?

What is the licence fee anyway? £159 a year? Rog as a Tory supporter I had assumed you were fairly well off? That’s only the price of a nice meal for two with a mid menu bottle of wine!"

Why do you think that Tory supporters are well off? Most Tory supporters nowadays are poorer and working class.

It’s the Labour Party that is the party of the urban graduate professional classes and it has been for decades.

I can always guarantee that whenever one criticises the BBC licence fee a whole load of Leftists will crawl out from under their rocks to defend it. Not difficult to work out why that is.

"So roger….. question?

I'm guessing you won't because then you'd lose a topic to winge about instead of freeing yourself from the cost of however much it is and freedom to revel in the banal world of advertising..

Whatever you choose, enjoy.. "

If you think BBC output is better than what one can get from other broadcast services then you are seriously living in a deluded little bubble.

Brighton

"So roger….. question?

Why do you think that Tory supporters are well off? Most Tory supporters nowadays are poorer and working class.

It’s the Labour Party that is the party of the urban graduate professional classes and it has been for decades.

I can always guarantee that whenever one criticises the BBC licence fee a whole load of Leftists will crawl out from under their rocks to defend it. Not difficult to work out why that is."

And yet you honestly think YOU are better off under a Tory govt? In what ways have they helped you personally that would have been worse for you under Labour?

"So roger….. question?

I can always guarantee that whenever one criticises the BBC licence fee a whole load of Leftists will crawl out from under their rocks to defend it. Not difficult to work out why that is.

And yet you honestly think YOU are better off under a Tory govt? In what ways have they helped you personally that would have been worse for you under Labour?"

2023 has been my best ever year financially so I am fine but thanks for your concern.

But yes despite the fact that I think the Tories are awful I do think that Labour will be worse. We can expect higher taxes, zero meaningful reform of our dismal public sector with even more falls in public sector productivity. Labour have zero vision on the economy, they seem to think that by attaching our stagnant economy to the even more stagnant eurozone we will somehow become an economic miracle. We can expect zero growth. Labour will continue to pursue the Net Zero delusion which will further diminish growth and increase national and personal debt. We will see the same or worse levels of immigration, the same levels of support for pointless foreign wars, more support for Hamas terrorists. We are going to see a crackdown on free speech as Labour will just follow what the Democrats are doing in the US.

So no I’m afraid I don’t see any possibility of the situation improving under Labour and expect my own financial, cultural and democratic position to be much worse.

Brighton

"So roger….. question?

And yet you honestly think YOU are better off under a Tory govt? In what ways have they helped you personally that would have been worse for you under Labour?

2023 has been my best ever year financially so I am fine but thanks for your concern.

But yes despite the fact that I think the Tories are awful I do think that Labour will be worse. We can expect higher taxes, zero meaningful reform of our dismal public sector with even more falls in public sector productivity. Labour have zero vision on the economy, they seem to think that by attaching our stagnant economy to the even more stagnant eurozone we will somehow become an economic miracle. We can expect zero growth. Labour will continue to pursue the Net Zero delusion which will further diminish growth and increase national and personal debt. We will see the same or worse levels of immigration, the same levels of support for pointless foreign wars, more support for Hamas terrorists. We are going to see a crackdown on free speech as Labour will just follow what the Democrats are doing in the US.

So no I’m afraid I don’t see any possibility of the situation improving under Labour and expect my own financial, cultural and democratic position to be much worse."

Thanks for your honesty. Are you certain your financial success in 2023 is due to the Tories or just your own hard work? Do you honestly think you would have done less well under a Labour govt?

Like you, 2023 has been a great year for me financially. I do not think the Tories have helped me achieve that in any way. In fact due to fiscal drag, personal allowance clawback, and child benefit clawback, reduction in dividend threshold, increase in corporation tax, etc the Tories have made it harder for me to improve my net income.

in Lancashire

"So roger….. question?

Whatever you choose, enjoy..

If you think BBC output is better than what one can get from other broadcast services then you are seriously living in a deluded little bubble."

I don't, despite your assumption..

There's much good about it and some not to my taste but that's the same with any of the providers one uses..

It does at the moment despite the attacks from those on the right in the pockets of their corporate masters give an excellent coverage across many areas of the media..

Peterborough

"So roger….. question?

I can always guarantee that whenever one criticises the BBC licence fee a whole load of Leftists will crawl out from under their rocks to defend it. Not difficult to work out why that is."

I'm a leftie and I'd prefer the money in my pocket. In the meantime I'll enjoy BBC (watching it now).

By *abioMan 19 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

If you think BBC output is better than what one can get from other broadcast services then you are seriously living in a deluded little bubble."

Ooh.. this should be interesting.. name one.. if facts.. let’s hear a few of these on your list?

Gilfach

"If it did go to court, you could argue that you haven't given permission for tv signals to enter your property "

Very few people have a strong enough signal to have an aerial inside their house. Most have it outside and, despite common opinion, you do not own the air outside your house.

By *oistvonlipwigMan 19 weeks ago

Lancaster

Why would you pay a television licence for a service you dislike? I've never once purchased a television license, nobody is forced to pay. This very much sounds like a you problem.

By *ony 2016Man 19 weeks ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

It’s 2023 not 1946."

If you obtain a list of every Labour voter there is , find out which of these people have the lowest IQ

This individual would still have had the intelligence not to vote Conservative

Peterborough

It’s 2023 not 1946.

If you obtain a list of every Labour voter there is , find out which of these people have the lowest IQ

This individual would still have had the intelligence not to vote Conservative

"

milton keynes

Ok so some of my original old information was correct-ish but I thought it was more bbc focused. If I understand you correctly then if I don't ever consume any BBC content but do watch non BBC channels live then I still need a license.

If that's correct and if I am correct in saying the money from the license goes only to the BBC then it sounds unfair. Or does it get shared with other channels perhaps?.

No, all of the money goes to the BBC, along with all of the responsibility. No other broadcaster is required to provide radio services, or non-English language broadcasts, or a world-wide news network, or gets audited for impartiality."

Your quite right, it is a TV license as opposed to a BBC license though if all the money goes to the BBC it might as well be called a BBC license. As I like the BBC it does not bother me but if I did not like the content but did like to watch other channels live I can see why some may feel aggrieved. One of those, for the greater good type situations I guess

Peterborough

"Your licence is issued on behalf of the BBC as the licensing authority under the Communications Act 2003".

Source: TV licensing.

It was always about the BBC (inc

radio) if you think back to the days of three channels, the independent channel ITV paid for itself via ads. BBC 1&2 by the licence.

Perhaps the update is to make it more difficult to get away with not paying.

By *idnight RamblerMan 19 weeks ago

Pershore

"Why would you pay a television licence for a service you dislike? I've never once purchased a television license, nobody is forced to pay. This very much sounds like a you problem.

"

Why? Because it's the law to have a TV licence if you use such device. (The Communications Act 2003). If we start becoming selective in which laws we obey, it's the road to anarchy.

By *addad99Man 18 weeks ago

Rotherham /newquay

"Why would you pay a television licence for a service you dislike? I've never once purchased a television license, nobody is forced to pay. This very much sounds like a you problem.

Why? Because it's the law to have a TV licence if you use such device. (The Communications Act 2003). If we start becoming selective in which laws we obey, it's the road to anarchy."

it won't be long anyway before society gives up but what fun along the way it will be

» Add a new message to this topic