FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > England has ‘twice as many empty homes as families stuck in B&Bs

England has ‘twice as many empty homes as families stuck in B&Bs

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *0shadesOfFilth OP   Man 19 weeks ago

nearby

Lib Dem’s say there are 121,327 families in short-term housing, while 261,189 homes are empty long-term.

While the government says the annual cost of temporary housing these same families in hotel/b&b/holiday let’s is £1.74bn

In addition the ONS reports there were 1,627,450 dwellings used as second addresses in England and 99,610 dwellings used as second addresses in Wales. In 2021, it was estimated that there were 172,545 dwellings in England and Wales that were second homes without usual residents on Census Day, 21 March 2021, (154,970 in England, 17,575 in Wales)

Whatever the methodology used to calculate the numbers, that appears to be a lot of house hoarding.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ssex_tomMan 19 weeks ago

Chelmsford

"Lib Dem’s say there are 121,327 families in short-term housing, while 261,189 homes are empty long-term.

While the government says the annual cost of temporary housing these same families in hotel/b&b/holiday let’s is £1.74bn

In addition the ONS reports there were 1,627,450 dwellings used as second addresses in England and 99,610 dwellings used as second addresses in Wales. In 2021, it was estimated that there were 172,545 dwellings in England and Wales that were second homes without usual residents on Census Day, 21 March 2021, (154,970 in England, 17,575 in Wales)

Whatever the methodology used to calculate the numbers, that appears to be a lot of house hoarding.

"

Should second homes be seized and distributed to the homeless ?

By *agan_PairCouple 19 weeks ago

portchester

Nope

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 19 weeks ago

Gilfach

"Lib Dem’s say there are 121,327 families in short-term housing, while 261,189 homes are empty long-term.

Whatever the methodology used to calculate the numbers, that appears to be a lot of house hoarding."

Let's assume that your numbers are correct. What problem do you see, and what do you think should be done to solve it?

By (user no longer on site) 19 weeks ago

Why are second homes the problem?

Many people live in houses that are too big for their needs too.

Maybe they should be forced to take in lodgers.

By *mateur100Man 19 weeks ago

nr faversham

Many people live in council houses that were allocated to them when they had a need for 2/3/4 bedrooms but they no longer have that need... public outcry when the council tries to downsize them

By *ust RachelTV/TS 19 weeks ago

Eastbourne

There is a block of studio apartments not far from, that are rented out to a company that uses it to put up staff when the they are being trained. The rest of the time the building is empty, to make matters worse the company wants the full block.

Chelmsford

Are we saying that those who have two homes or a spare bedroom be forced to share..

There are people who worked their fingers to the bone to buy an apartment in Spain or similar country... Are we saying they should hand this over to a homeless person ?

"Are we saying that those who have two homes or a spare bedroom be forced to share..

There are people who worked their fingers to the bone to buy an apartment in Spain or similar country... Are we saying they should hand this over to a homeless person ?"

It would seem to be the 'dream situation' of some of these silly leftists, Tom...!

As for the concept of 'working the fingers to the bone' or, merely simple working and saving, there are many who have no idea, the world owes them a living.

I have known quite a number of these people in my (earlier) life. One or two grew up, the rest are still what they are, bloody stupid.

Chelmsford

The Lord helps those who help themselves...

By *ools and the brainCouple 19 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

These homeless figures does that include asylum seekers?

Or are they not included due to the fact that they get priority when it comes to housing jumping the queue?

By *uck-RogersMan 19 weeks ago

Portland

"These homeless figures does that include asylum seekers?

Or are they not included due to the fact that they get priority when it comes to housing jumping the queue?"

They could put our ex servicemen that are living on the streets. In the migrant accommodation. While they are back home for Christmas.

nearby

Or are they not included due to the fact that they get priority when it comes to housing jumping the queue?They could put our ex servicemen that are living on the streets. In the migrant accommodation. While they are back home for Christmas. "

There are almost 10,000 long term empty MOD homes.

No links allowed here if you Google it several media reports confirm. Costs the taxpayer £25M annually in maintenance. And before anyone says they are in poor condition, a parliamentary briefing paper claims 95% of them exceed the decent homes plus standard.

nearby

Or are they not included due to the fact that they get priority when it comes to housing jumping the queue?They could put our ex servicemen that are living on the streets. In the migrant accommodation. While they are back home for Christmas. "

“Figures from 2021 show there are around 11,000 empty Ministry of Defence (MOD) homes in the UK and about 900 properties not being used in Scotland.

MOD housing near Dreghorn Barracks will be made available to help provide more suitable homes to people affected by homelessness and overcrowding in the city”.

Scotland leading from the front, what are England and wales proposals for the other 10,000 empties

"Are we saying that those who have two homes or a spare bedroom be forced to share..

There are people who worked their fingers to the bone to buy an apartment in Spain or similar country... Are we saying they should hand this over to a homeless person ?"

Anyone with 2+ houses for their personal use obviously are loaded and therefore should pay extra tax to put forward to housing those in need

By *JandJJCouple 19 weeks ago

Nuneaton

Just a thought, but there are plenty of caravans empty that are like homes!!.

There are people who worked their fingers to the bone to buy an apartment in Spain or similar country... Are we saying they should hand this over to a homeless person ?

Anyone with 2+ houses for their personal use obviously are loaded and therefore should pay extra tax to put forward to housing those in need "

They do. Income tax, CGT, national insurance, inheritance tax, Council tax, VAT etc etc.

By *addad99Man 19 weeks ago

Rotherham /newquay

Anyone with 2+ houses for their personal use obviously are loaded and therefore should pay extra tax to put forward to housing those in need "

why do you think that have they not worked hard for what they own.

nearby

"Are we saying that those who have two homes or a spare bedroom be forced to share.

"

Research says 25 million unoccupied bedrooms in British homes. This figure, released today by new campaign group the Intergenerational Foundation starkly highlights how much of Britain's housing is unused despite the desperate housing shortage that affects the younger generation

Rotherham /newquay

"Are we saying that those who have two homes or a spare bedroom be forced to share.

Research says 25 million unoccupied bedrooms in British homes. This figure, released today by new campaign group the Intergenerational Foundation starkly highlights how much of Britain's housing is unused despite the desperate housing shortage that affects the younger generation"

I live in a four bedroom house on my own it's what I wanted and worked hard to get it should I live in a one bedroom flat just so others can move in.

Chelmsford

Research says 25 million unoccupied bedrooms in British homes. This figure, released today by new campaign group the Intergenerational Foundation starkly highlights how much of Britain's housing is unused despite the desperate housing shortage that affects the younger generationI live in a four bedroom house on my own it's what I wanted and worked hard to get it should I live in a one bedroom flat just so others can move in."

According to some chancers on here I would say the answer is yes..

Rotherham /newquay

Research says 25 million unoccupied bedrooms in British homes. This figure, released today by new campaign group the Intergenerational Foundation starkly highlights how much of Britain's housing is unused despite the desperate housing shortage that affects the younger generationI live in a four bedroom house on my own it's what I wanted and worked hard to get it should I live in a one bedroom flat just so others can move in.

According to some chancers on here I would say the answer is yes.."

good luck

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 19 weeks ago

golden fields

Research says 25 million unoccupied bedrooms in British homes. This figure, released today by new campaign group the Intergenerational Foundation starkly highlights how much of Britain's housing is unused despite the desperate housing shortage that affects the younger generationI live in a four bedroom house on my own it's what I wanted and worked hard to get it should I live in a one bedroom flat just so others can move in."

Maybe some Palestinian refugees could move in with you?

Chelmsford

There are two types of people.

Workers and Shirkers. Those who go out and work hard and achieve are the workers. The shirkers and grifters expect everyone else to work and they expect a free ride..

Rotherham /newquay

Research says 25 million unoccupied bedrooms in British homes. This figure, released today by new campaign group the Intergenerational Foundation starkly highlights how much of Britain's housing is unused despite the desperate housing shortage that affects the younger generationI live in a four bedroom house on my own it's what I wanted and worked hard to get it should I live in a one bedroom flat just so others can move in.

Maybe some Palestinian refugees could move in with you?"

I'd rather burn it or have a nice Israeli family thanks

By *oubleswing2019Man 19 weeks ago

Colchester

"There are two types of people.

Workers and Shirkers. Those who go out and work hard and achieve are the workers. The shirkers and grifters expect everyone else to work and they expect a free ride..

"

I see it quite differently Tom.

There are those who exploit others, and those who are exploited.

The difference being, the type of exploitation.

For example, read up on George Cadbury and the Bournville Village Trust. He knew he needed workers but he set in to motion a scheme to greatly improve their living standard and opportunities. He did not need to do that. But he did.

That is positive exploitation.

How many bosses of corps are at that level ? Not many, that's for sure.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 19 weeks ago

golden fields

Maybe some Palestinian refugees could move in with you?I'd rather burn it or have a nice Israeli family thanks "

Some good old fashioned racism.

Top notch Christmas day action.

Chelmsford

"There are two types of people.

I see it quite differently Tom.

There are those who exploit others, and those who are exploited.

The difference being, the type of exploitation.

For example, read up on George Cadbury and the Bournville Village Trust. He knew he needed workers but he set in to motion a scheme to greatly improve their living standard and opportunities. He did not need to do that. But he did.

That is positive exploitation.

How many bosses of corps are at that level ? Not many, that's for sure.

"

Tom does not need advice on who to read up on..

He is very well read and thank you very much ??

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 19 weeks ago

Gilfach

I see the OP is keen to keep quoting figures, but less keen to explain what he thinks the problems is, or what he thinks should be done about it.

nearby

Homelessness among armed forces veterans in England rises by 14% says the guardian today

Figures show 2,110 households affected in 2022-23, up from 1,850 last year, despite government pledge and £8.8m housing fund

5 long term empty MOD homes for each affected homeless veteran family.

By *otMe66Man 19 weeks ago

Terra Firma

Those complaining about people with 2nd homes or more bedrooms than they need...

I can suggest China, Cuba, Laos, North Korea or Vietnam as reasonable places to go if you think it isn't fair what people spend their money on, you will fit right in.

By *irldnCouple 19 weeks ago

Brighton

"Those complaining about people with 2nd homes or more bedrooms than they need...

I can suggest China, Cuba, Laos, North Korea or Vietnam as reasonable places to go if you think it isn't fair what people spend their money on, you will fit right in. "

By *wisted999Man 19 weeks ago

North Bucks

"Those complaining about people with 2nd homes or more bedrooms than they need...

I can suggest China, Cuba, Laos, North Korea or Vietnam as reasonable places to go if you think it isn't fair what people spend their money on, you will fit right in. "

By *ophieslutTV/TS 19 weeks ago

Central

It does highlight that there are several things wrong with housing that could be addressed. And the current joke of the government are happy to receive massive donations from building companies

Rotherham /newquay

"It does highlight that there are several things wrong with housing that could be addressed. And the current joke of the government are happy to receive massive donations from building companies "
don't no why the government doesn't set up it's own house building not for profit o wait most are owned by them or there mates

"It does highlight that there are several things wrong with housing that could be addressed. And the current joke of the government are happy to receive massive donations from building companies don't no why the government doesn't set up it's own house building not for profit o wait most are owned by them or there mates "

Because they're elite toffs born with s silver spoon up their arses!

Out of touch scumbags with 0 sympathy

Chelmsford

Tom has rooms that he has not even been on in the last 12 months..

But he is not offering them to the homeless anytime soon ..

Colchester

[Removed by poster at 27/12/23 03:06:54]

Colchester

"Tom has rooms that he has not even been on in the last 12 months..

But he is not offering them to the homeless anytime soon .."

But he is not offering them to the homeless anytime soon .."

From a purely economic viewpoint, said rooms will either cost money to heat (if they are heated) and due to lack of use said heating is a wasteful cost, or if said rooms are not heated (and thus cold), will draw heat away from other heated rooms in the house (thermal transference...heat goes to cold), thus creating waste as well.

This suggests several possibilities.

The cost is irrelevant to you.

The property is too large.

The rooms are "haunted" and you avoid them.

You lost the keys to the doors.

The rooms are "off-limits" for a reason (Perhaps it's where you keep your First Person?).

Chelmsford

The cost is irrelevant to Tom.

By *orleymanMan 19 weeks ago

Leeds

"

Empty homes doesn't mean habitable.

By *orleymanMan 19 weeks ago

Leeds

Or are they not included due to the fact that they get priority when it comes to housing jumping the queue?They could put our ex servicemen that are living on the streets. In the migrant accommodation. While they are back home for Christmas.

There are almost 10,000 long term empty MOD homes.

No links allowed here if you Google it several media reports confirm. Costs the taxpayer £25M annually in maintenance. And before anyone says they are in poor condition, a parliamentary briefing paper claims 95% of them exceed the decent homes plus standard. "

They sold the MoD homes to a private company and rent them back.( agreed a disastrous policy was it majors or Blair government decision?

It doesn't mean the uk gov can home any one in them

By *ove2pleaseseukMan 19 weeks ago

Hastings

"Many people live in council houses that were allocated to them when they had a need for 2/3/4 bedrooms but they no longer have that need... public outcry when the council tries to downsize them "

There not council houses that is the problem most are now HOUSEING ASOSIATIONS and they don't really care how is in the property so long as the rent is paid.

Most are elderly that don't want to leave an old family home or can't afford to move with moving cost and redecoration down to them.

They could move out ov a nice 3 bed home to be put in a 1 bed flat with no cost to re carpet or decoration so why should they move and fot ghe bill..

Not saying this is good for society but councils use to help fund this sort of move. Now your on your own.

Hastings

No you worked to get where you are enjoy the fruits of you labour.

Hastings

"Homelessness among armed forces veterans in England rises by 14% says the guardian today

Figures show 2,110 households affected in 2022-23, up from 1,850 last year, despite government pledge and £8.8m housing fund

5 long term empty MOD homes for each affected homeless veteran family. "

Why is this so focused on armed forces vetrans. Its a fact that single men are at the bottom of the list when it comes to housing, not just ex armed forces surly when you in the forces you realise at some point you will need to go in to main stream society and save for yhe transition.

Chelmsford

Should we stop the boats to free up more housing ....

Hastings

"Should we stop the boats to free up more housing ...."

Lol we will never be able to stop economic migration. First it was in lorrys now the boats. Stop the boats and they will still come.

But the cost of living will slow migration as its now hard to earn enough to live and send money home.

As for housing it needs to go away from housing associations they waste money hand over foot. Giving poor service and don't have the resources to manage the housing stock they do have, this is not helped how some not meany residents treat the property they have to live in.

By *restonCouple555Couple 19 weeks ago

preston

Not strictly on topic but the percentage of people I know who have a holiday pad in the Costa Del Whatever (and I've met a fair few), who "worked their fingers to the bone" to afford it is negligible.

Most of them were variously born rich or inherited the money. To be fair a couple of them are nouveau riche, and made their money by being unscrupulous workaholics.

There are people in Britain who have "worked their fingers to the bone". They're not buying flats in tourist traps. They're signed off work with an industrial illness and being demonised by the tabloids for attempting to claim back some of the social safety net they've paid into their whole working lives.

» Add a new message to this topic