FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > General Election predictions

General Election predictions

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *orses and Ponies OP   Man 15 weeks ago

Ealing

Just predict who will win. As the SNP support has collapsed my prediction is that the Conservatives will win with a majority of 20. Hardly the stunning success of the 2019 election. Jeremy Hunt needs to have a voter friendly budget. Will check this again in a years time . Just a shame that Lizz Truss resigned before her policies were put into action . Np prize for the winner but let's see who is closest.

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site) 15 weeks ago

I’d guess a Labour majority of 100.

What will be just as interesting will be the turnout which I suspect will collapse. Last time it was 67% I reckon it will be down between 50-55% if that.

By *verysmileMan 15 weeks ago

CANTERBURY

After a period in power, a party will run out of steam (or people will see through the bs, depending on your viewpoint).

I think that point has come and we will see a change of government. It won't be a majority in the hundreds and will depend on how the SNP vote holds up.

I'm going to suggest a 20 or 30 majority for Labour and it will not be as clearcut as people may think.

By *oversfunCouple 15 weeks ago

ayrshire

"Just predict who will win. As the SNP support has collapsed my prediction is that the Conservatives will win with a majority of 20. Hardly the stunning success of the 2019 election. Jeremy Hunt needs to have a voter friendly budget. Will check this again in a years time . Just a shame that Lizz Truss resigned before her policies were put into action . Np prize for the winner but let's see who is closest. "
id say 35%-40%isnt a collapse

By *umbrian85Man 15 weeks ago

Cumbria

"Just predict who will win. As the SNP support has collapsed my prediction is that the Conservatives will win with a majority of 20. Hardly the stunning success of the 2019 election. Jeremy Hunt needs to have a voter friendly budget. Will check this again in a years time . Just a shame that Lizz Truss resigned before her policies were put into action . Np prize for the winner but let's see who is closest. "

Liz Truss had to resign from because here policies were put in place you utter clown.

By *eroy1000Man 15 weeks ago

milton keynes

Labour to win with a reasonable majority. I'm thinking around 40 ish seat majority

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 15 weeks ago

golden fields

I share your skepticism. Tory win.

By *astandFeistyCouple 15 weeks ago

Bournemouth

Labour majority, by quite a margin.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan 15 weeks ago

nearby

Labour 47%

Tory 20%

Reform 12%

Libdem 8%

Green 7%

Labour the sum of the other contenders.

Current Yougov 16/17 Jan 2024

By *ercuryMan 15 weeks ago

Grantham

Labour will win, such is the natural cyclic nature of these events.

Reform will take a chunk out of the Conservatives.

But....turnout will be poor. Especially if the campaigns are negative and drag on and on.

golden fields

"Labour 47%

Tory 20%

Reform 12%

Libdem 8%

Green 7%

Labour the sum of the other contenders.

Current Yougov 16/17 Jan 2024 "

Tories will claw this back when their extremely well funded PR machine kicks in.

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple 15 weeks ago

Newcastle under Lyme

Labour, purely from low voter turnout and people being annoyed at high taxes and high inflation under the fake Conservatives. To be fair whoever gets in won't change the course this country is on anyway.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple 15 weeks ago

in Lancashire

"Labour will win, such is the natural cyclic nature of these events.

Reform will take a chunk out of the Conservatives.

But....turnout will be poor. Especially if the campaigns are negative and drag on and on."

This..

Not entirely sure there will be much of a change on the whole for a large majority of the population..

Sort of same shit different day..

By *aribbean King 1985Man 15 weeks ago

South West London

While I hate the Tories, Keir Starmer must not become Prime Minister any cost to unleash more wokery ideologies. So Im hoping for a hung parliment

Cumbria

"While I hate the Tories, Keir Starmer must not become Prime Minister any cost to unleash more wokery ideologies. So Im hoping for a hung parliment"

What do you mean by Woke can you identify any such proposed policies?

By *usybee73Man 15 weeks ago

in the sticks

I gave up voting years ago as don't see the point, fag paper between the 2 and my life won't change.

Can see another coalition between Labour and snp to cross the line ...

"While I hate the Tories, Keir Starmer must not become Prime Minister any cost to unleash more wokery ideologies. So Im hoping for a hung parliment

What do you mean by Woke can you identify any such proposed policies?"

I’m going to predict no, he can’t.

By *oubleswing2019Man 15 weeks ago

Colchester

"While I hate the Tories, Keir Starmer must not become Prime Minister any cost to unleash more wokery ideologies. So Im hoping for a hung parliment"

Whenever you hear someone use the word "woke", replace it with, "Treat people with respect".

Then you will hear exactly what they are saying.

By *estivalMan 15 weeks ago

borehamwood

A coalition lab/lib that will fall apart after a cpl of years and everyone will vote again for watever clowns are up next time

By *ophieslutTV/TS 15 weeks ago

Central

Bingo! "Wokery". .

South West London

One example is when Keir Starmer cant you what a woman is because his afraid of offending people who are trans.

Cumbria

"One example is when Keir Starmer cant you what a woman is because his afraid of offending people who are trans. "

Is this your best example? The Tories have trashed the economy,the NHS,been corrupt, left us with the highest taxes for 70 years and this is a reason for thinking Starmer will be worse!

By *irldnCouple 15 weeks ago

Brighton

"One example is when Keir Starmer cant you what a woman is because his afraid of offending people who are trans. "

Can you remind me how Sunak responded to the same question please (honest question as I do not know).

Because it’s a stupid ‘gotcha’ question aimed at infuriating one side of a culture war rather than actually gaining any knowledge about the interviewee.

We all know what a biological man or woman is. We all know what a trans-man or woman is as well. It’s how we respect them that matters.

Brighton

"One example is when Keir Starmer cant you what a woman is because his afraid of offending people who are trans.

Because it’s a stupid ‘gotcha’ question aimed at infuriating one side of a culture war rather than actually gaining any knowledge about the interviewee.

We all know what a biological man or woman is. We all know what a trans-man or woman is as well. It’s how we respect them that matters. "

Well said.

Ealing

"One example is when Keir Starmer cant you what a woman is because his afraid of offending people who are trans.

We all know what a biological man or woman is. We all know what a trans-man or woman is as well. It’s how we respect them that matters. "

. Assuming ww all know the answer it makes Kier Starmer look even more cowardly. He was asked a simple question that any rational balanced period could answer yet became flustered with his answer and even said that the question was unfair. He has subsequently tried to back track .

Boris Johnson did not have any difficulty answering the question nor would most people . Maybe he needs to spend a little of his earnings as a barrister on biology book

It is hardly surprising that he is referred to as flip flop Kier . He appears to change hid policies all the time. When he was asked the question subsequently he gave a straight forward answer. He must have realised how stupid the original answer made him look

in Lancashire

This..

Bournemouth

It is a stupid question and he messed his answer.

The answer to the question is: what a stupid fucking question, next.

Ealing

Kier Starmer is actually on the front page of a major national newspaper today for defending organisations that are Woke . In addition he wants to penalise hard working parents who send their children to private schools .

Great to see that we have national newspapers exposing his policies and ideas.

golden fields

I can see why this is a top issue. Much more important than the economy, climate change, managing and running the country, dealing with inequality, education, healthcare etc.

golden fields

"Kier Starmer is actually on the front page of a major national newspaper today for defending organisations that are Woke . In addition he wants to penalise hard working parents who send their children to private schools .

Great to see that we have national newspapers exposing his policies and ideas. "

What's wrong with defending organisations that are aware of social injustice, especially racism?

"Kier Starmer is actually on the front page of a major national newspaper today for defending organisations that are Woke . In addition he wants to penalise hard working parents who send their children to private schools .

What's wrong with defending organisations that are aware of social injustice, especially racism?"

After all Starmer should be well aware of racist organisations he does work for one.

Brighton

We all know what a biological man or woman is. We all know what a trans-man or woman is as well. It’s how we respect them that matters. . Assuming ww all know the answer it makes Kier Starmer look even more cowardly. He was asked a simple question that any rational balanced period could answer yet became flustered with his answer and even said that the question was unfair. He has subsequently tried to back track .

Boris Johnson did not have any difficulty answering the question nor would most people . Maybe he needs to spend a little of his earnings as a barrister on biology book

It is hardly surprising that he is referred to as flip flop Kier . He appears to change hid policies all the time. When he was asked the question subsequently he gave a straight forward answer. He must have realised how stupid the original answer made him look "

Are there such thing as Trans Horses and Ponies?

Sorry that was a random thought!

Pat how do you define what a woman is?

in Lancashire

I can see why this is a top issue. Much more important than the economy, climate change, managing and running the country, dealing with inequality, education, healthcare etc."

Totally agree, the average mail reader won't have a clue about woke but will be happily deflected from the mess that is the NHS and cuts to local services because that labour bloke said something..

Ealing

We all know what a biological man or woman is. We all know what a trans-man or woman is as well. It’s how we respect them that matters. . Assuming ww all know the answer it makes Kier Starmer look even more cowardly. He was asked a simple question that any rational balanced period could answer yet became flustered with his answer and even said that the question was unfair. He has subsequently tried to back track .

It is hardly surprising that he is referred to as flip flop Kier . He appears to change hid policies all the time. When he was asked the question subsequently he gave a straight forward answer. He must have realised how stupid the original answer made him look

Pat how do you define what a woman is?"

. The answer is obvious . Just buy a biology book or a copy of the bible . The answer that Boris Johnson gave is good enough for me and most rational people agreed with him. My answer is not any different to 99.9 % of the population . I don't think you are allowed to upload pictures onto this forum otherwise I would upload drawings to prove the point. Hope that clarifies.

Brighton

Great to see that we have national newspapers exposing his policies and ideas. "

I wonder where most people stand on Private Schools and adding VAT to fees?

in Lancashire

Pat how do you define what a woman is?"

I think for a poster with multiple profiles who has on occasion posted in the same thread using two of them using one name might cause confusion..

Brighton

I think for a poster with multiple profiles who has on occasion posted in the same thread using two of them using one name might cause confusion..

"

Trans-Profile syndrome?

in Lancashire

Pat how do you define what a woman is?. The answer is obvious . Just buy a biology book or a copy of the bible . The answer that Boris Johnson gave is good enough for me and most rational people agreed with him. My answer is not any different to 99.9 % of the population . I don't think you are allowed to upload pictures onto this forum otherwise I would upload drawings to prove the point. Hope that clarifies. "

So if 99.9% of the population are in your opinion in agreement with you why are you stressing about the other 0.01%?

in Lancashire

Trans-Profile syndrome?"

Could work yes..

Brighton

Pat how do you define what a woman is?. The answer is obvious . Just buy a biology book or a copy of the bible . The answer that Boris Johnson gave is good enough for me and most rational people agreed with him. My answer is not any different to 99.9 % of the population . I don't think you are allowed to upload pictures onto this forum otherwise I would upload drawings to prove the point. Hope that clarifies. "

That was not an answer though was it. Are you being woke and trying not to offend anyone? If you 100% agree with what Johnson said then quote it. That will suffice

golden fields

So you can't answer either. Amazing.

in Lancashire

[Removed by poster at 23/01/24 10:18:49]

in Lancashire

You can put said images onto your profiles..

Ealing

I can see why this is a top issue. Much more important than the economy, climate change, managing and running the country, dealing with inequality, education, healthcare etc.

Totally agree, the average mail reader won't have a clue about woke but will be happily deflected from the mess that is the NHS and cuts to local services because that labour bloke said something.. "

. The average Daily Mail reader will be from a wide cross section of society and includes all nationalities and occupations. It is hardly going to be a winnerin the circulation war unless it is doing most things correctly.

The NHS is hardly a mess. Expenditure is at an all time high . Striking doctors have hardly helped the situation . Anyone with day to day contact with the NHS realises that it gets by despite immense demand . Pouring additional money in will hardly help.

Anyone who wants to actually improve the sevice as opposed to scoring political points would advocate a part privatised service as used in other European Countries including the South of Ireland .

Today the Daily Mail addresses Woke Issues . See pages 1 , 6 and 7. What has any other national newspaper done to address the issue ?

golden fields

Totally agree, the average mail reader won't have a clue about woke but will be happily deflected from the mess that is the NHS and cuts to local services because that labour bloke said something.. . The average Daily Mail reader will be from a wide cross section of society and includes all nationalities and occupations. It is hardly going to be a winnerin the circulation war unless it is doing most things correctly.

The NHS is hardly a mess. Expenditure is at an all time high . Striking doctors have hardly helped the situation . Anyone with day to day contact with the NHS realises that it gets by despite immense demand . Pouring additional money in will hardly help.

Anyone who wants to actually improve the sevice as opposed to scoring political points would advocate a part privatised service as used in other European Countries including the South of Ireland .

Today the Daily Mail addresses Woke Issues . See pages 1 , 6 and 7. What has any other national newspaper done to address the issue ? "

Maybe you could give us a summary of these "woke" issues for those of us who don't wish to purchase a copy.

By *hirley147TV/TS 15 weeks ago

Blackpool

We know what a woman is, a adult human female. It's biological reality. Not all trans people agree with this absurd erasure of biology, it's a militant pc brigade pushing it. I am trans and happy to just be accepted as such. As for the election I think labour will win. People are fed up of this tory government. It won't make much difference because they are all the same anyway. It's a pretend democracy with no real choice, that is why people voted for brexit as one chance to fuck the establishment. Figures like Blair, grieve, Cameron, one chance to stick the finger up at these tossers who always think they know best.

Brighton

"We know what a woman is, a adult human female. It's biological reality. Not all trans people agree with this absurd erasure of biology, it's a militant pc brigade pushing it. I am trans and happy to just be accepted as such. As for the election I think labour will win. People are fed up of this tory government. It won't make much difference because they are all the same anyway. It's a pretend democracy with no real choice, that is why people voted for brexit as one chance to fuck the establishment. Figures like Blair, grieve, Cameron, one chance to stick the finger up at these tossers who always think they know best. "

Agreed but we wanted Horsy to answer

golden fields

"We know what a woman is, a adult human female. It's biological reality. Not all trans people agree with this absurd erasure of biology, it's a militant pc brigade pushing it. I am trans and happy to just be accepted as such. As for the election I think labour will win. People are fed up of this tory government. It won't make much difference because they are all the same anyway. It's a pretend democracy with no real choice, that is why people voted for brexit as one chance to fuck the establishment. Figures like Blair, grieve, Cameron, one chance to stick the finger up at these tossers who always think they know best. "

Good post, although voting for Brexit was a vote to transfer more wealth and power from ordinary people to the establishment. The EU is no longer there to protect us from Tory greed.

golden fields

I'm still predicting a Tory win.

I can't see anything that would change anyone's mind since the last few elections. And there are enough people confused about things like "woke" to make a real difference in the voting booth.

Plus the Conservatives well funded slick PR machine hasn't kicked in yet.

in Lancashire

Totally agree, the average mail reader won't have a clue about woke but will be happily deflected from the mess that is the NHS and cuts to local services because that labour bloke said something.. . The average Daily Mail reader will be from a wide cross section of society and includes all nationalities and occupations. It is hardly going to be a winnerin the circulation war unless it is doing most things correctly.

Today the Daily Mail addresses Woke Issues . See pages 1 , 6 and 7. What has any other national newspaper done to address the issue ? "

The answer to the issues affecting the NHS, the highest waiting lists, lack of midwives, nurses and doctors lies not with making the system more beholden to securing a profit for investors..

Therein lies a path backwards to when health care was only for those with wealth..

Woke is a false narrative, an invented phrase to deflect and cause division so it's hardly a suprise that the mail loves it..

The FT has a very good article more pertinent about voters being potentially excluded when the GE comes ..

By *idnight RamblerMan 15 weeks ago

Pershore

No landslide, but nonetheless a comfortable Labour majority.

By *abioMan 15 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

The Conservatives are not going to be the ones who gain if the SNP vote collapsed.. it would be labour or the Lib Dem’s

I think we are still looking at a labour minority run government as no one is going work with the tories.. so if that means a “memorandum of understanding “ rather than a formal coalition ( the Lib Dem’s and the SNP are not going to want to be the junior partners) then so be it

By *abioMan 15 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

questions…….

define a “woke” organisation for me please… any organisation that helps with minority groups should be lauded

Bournemouth

questions…….

define a “woke” organisation for me please… any organisation that helps with minority groups should be lauded

"

Helps with - yes

Prioritises - no

There's quite the difference here.

By *abioMan 15 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I wonder where most people stand on Private Schools and adding VAT to fees?"

And that a lot of private schools use a loophole in tax laws to claim “charitable” status…

Ealing

Today the Daily Mail addresses Woke Issues . See pages 1 , 6 and 7. What has any other national newspaper done to address the issue ?

The answer to the issues affecting the NHS, the highest waiting lists, lack of midwives, nurses and doctors lies not with making the system more beholden to securing a profit for investors..

Therein lies a path backwards to when health care was only for those with wealth..

Woke is a false narrative, an invented phrase to deflect and cause division so it's hardly a suprise that the mail loves it..

The FT has a very good article more pertinent about voters being potentially excluded when the GE comes .."

. It seems a bit odd that if part privatisation does not want other countries run it very successfully. Very few countries have a servive entirely funded by the state.

Turnaround times are much quicker in Frane and I do not see many people there complaining about the service.

Maybe the issue that needs addressing is the NHS run for the benefit of the employees or the patient.

Brighton

And that a lot of private schools use a loophole in tax laws to claim “charitable” status…"

Some may see it that way but I will argue the opposite. Many private schools behave charitably through the provision of scholarships, bursaries, and making equipment and facilities available to local state schools and the local community, for free. Remove charitable status and a few things happen:

1. They stop acting charitably removing the stuff listed above.

2. Removal of bursaries impacts talented low income kids pushing them back into state.

3. A 20% increase in fees (and loss of scholarships) are enough to push middle income kids in many families back into state.

4. A smaller private school sector will thus generate a smaller tax/VAT take then estimated.

5. So more kids in state but insufficient funding to cover them and certainly not the mooted additional funding for all pupils.

6. Private schools become increasingly elite and out of reach of any talented kid from a low-middle income.

It is headline grabbing, ill-conceived, politics of envy. The only people who will really suffer are talented kids who lose their opportunity.

borehamwood

I wonder where most people stand on Private Schools and adding VAT to fees?"

up the fees and then only the very rich can afford to send there kids, middle class kids at private school will be back at state run schools, and my view on private schools if you can afford it why wouldnt you send your kids to one, i know i would have if id had the money to

By *wisted999Man 15 weeks ago

North Bucks

And that a lot of private schools use a loophole in tax laws to claim “charitable” status…

Some may see it that way but I will argue the opposite. Many private schools behave charitably through the provision of scholarships, bursaries, and making equipment and facilities available to local state schools and the local community, for free. Remove charitable status and a few things happen:

2. Removal of bursaries impacts talented low income kids pushing them back into state.

3. A 20% increase in fees (and loss of scholarships) are enough to push middle income kids in many families back into state.

4. A smaller private school sector will thus generate a smaller tax/VAT take then estimated.

5. So more kids in state but insufficient funding to cover them and certainly not the mooted additional funding for all pupils.

6. Private schools become increasingly elite and out of reach of any talented kid from a low-middle income.

It is headline grabbing, ill-conceived, politics of envy. The only people who will really suffer are talented kids who lose their opportunity."

By *otMe66Man 15 weeks ago

Terra Firma

It is headline grabbing, ill-conceived, politics of envy. The only people who will really suffer are talented kids who lose their opportunity."

The talented kids wont suffer, they are brought down to the same level of the average kid and will have the same opportunities!

This is the only fair way to be, and why nurture talent that promotes success, it's a wealth divide by stealth and not something I can sign up to comrade

I felt like filling some gaps in

Brighton

It is headline grabbing, ill-conceived, politics of envy. The only people who will really suffer are talented kids who lose their opportunity.

The talented kids wont suffer, they are brought down to the same level of the average kid and will have the same opportunities!

This is the only fair way to be, and why nurture talent that promotes success, it's a wealth divide by stealth and not something I can sign up to comrade

I felt like filling some gaps in "

It is pulling down to lowest common denominator. It is a bit chicken and egg as you need to improve state education first rather than take a punitive approach.

What Labour SHOULD have said is “ok private schools, you claim to be charities and gave evidence of charitable behaviour, but we want to see more. We want more bursaries and more scholarships. We want to see increased numbers of pupils from lower income families at your schools. If you do then you can continue to be VAT exempt charities. If not then we consider you a VATable business. It is up to you!” And set some thresholds.

I strongly believe their sums are wrong on this and there will be an increase of kids needing state school places and funding without a corresponding/comparable uplift in tax collected from the private schools. This will end up costing tax payers more with little to show for it!

Terra Firma

It is pulling down to lowest common denominator. It is a bit chicken and egg as you need to improve state education first rather than take a punitive approach.

What Labour SHOULD have said is “ok private schools, you claim to be charities and gave evidence of charitable behaviour, but we want to see more. We want more bursaries and more scholarships. We want to see increased numbers of pupils from lower income families at your schools. If you do then you can continue to be VAT exempt charities. If not then we consider you a VATable business. It is up to you!” And set some thresholds.

I strongly believe their sums are wrong on this and there will be an increase of kids needing state school places and funding without a corresponding/comparable uplift in tax collected from the private schools. This will end up costing tax payers more with little to show for it!"

It smacks of labour trying to resinate with what it thinks the working classes want to see.

An easy group to sacrifice at the alter...

Brighton

I strongly believe their sums are wrong on this and there will be an increase of kids needing state school places and funding without a corresponding/comparable uplift in tax collected from the private schools. This will end up costing tax payers more with little to show for it!

It smacks of labour trying to resinate with what it thinks the working classes want to see.

An easy group to sacrifice at the alter..."

Of course. Few people will shed a tear over rich people having to pay 20% more but it completely ignores the impact on those who attend but do not pay full or partial fees at present. It also ignores the impact on state of an influx by handwaving it away with a spurious bit of research.

By *anJenny 181Couple 15 weeks ago

Preston

Anyone who votes for the Conservatives after what they have done have either zero brain cells or they have a few Billion in an offshore account.

By *abioMan 15 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

That is fine if you are talking about a small independent school….

But for example there are plenty of highly priced private schools that claim “charitable” status… eton, harrow, Winchester ect…..

So when does “charitable” status really become “taking the piss…..

golden fields

"Anyone who votes for the Conservatives after what they have done have either zero brain cells or they have a few Billion in an offshore account.

"

Or simply not paying attention and believe the headlines in the Mail, Express, Torygraph etc

Brighton

That is fine if you are talking about a small independent school….

But for example there are plenty of highly priced private schools that claim “charitable” status… eton, harrow, Winchester ect…..

So when does “charitable” status really become “taking the piss….."

Actually Fabio you need to reverse the point. There are plenty of small independent private schools and a handful of super elite institutions like Eton, Harrow, Winchester. Tarring the majority for the behaviour of the minority is everything that is wrong with this policy.

Ealing

"Anyone who votes for the Conservatives after what they have done have either zero brain cells or they have a few Billion in an offshore account.

"

Maybe people are a bit more rational than you like to think. What is wrong with prior to voting making an objective assessment of the pros and cons of both parties.? All parties have their strengths and weaknesses.

One party I would never consider voting for is the Liberal Democrats . Whilst in a coalition government they blocked raising the inheritance tax threshold to one million pounds . What an insult to hard working people who are working class. No one should be penalised for taking responsibility for the future generation and wanting to provide their family with an inheritance.

It is hardly difficult to take a piece of paper and write down the policies of each party and then make an objective assessment of them . It is simply treating everyone party and equally. A man who is incapable of defining what a women is will be is unlikely to attract my vote . He is simply flip flop Kier .

During the referendum I wrote down on a piece of paper the arguments in favour of both sides .

After listening to many people the conclusion was to vote remain.

Luckily prior to casting my vote I concluded that I was being totally selfish for basing my vote on economic predictions and accordingly voted to leave. Democracy in action .

My vote is available to any party thar can come up with a convincing argument to support them . The same applies to most voters .

"

After listening to many people the conclusion was to vote remain.

Luckily prior to casting my vote I concluded that I was being totally selfish for basing my vote on economic predictions and accordingly voted to leave. Democracy in action .

"

I’m imagining Alan Partridge saying this into a studio mic.

By *oo hotCouple 15 weeks ago

North West

Top trolling by the man whose syntax is identifiable across all of his many profiles.

Shame it’s pony and trap.

milton keynes

Just read a BBC article about calls to replace Sunak. At the end they mention a recent you gov poll (stress this is just one poll) that shows a Labour majority of 120 seats if people vote as they say they would.

"Just read a BBC article about calls to replace Sunak. At the end they mention a recent you gov poll (stress this is just one poll) that shows a Labour majority of 120 seats if people vote as they say they would. "

Partly due to the redefined boundaries, which will help the Tories. Under current boundaries the predicted Labour majority would have been nearer to 180 seats.

Brighton

"Just read a BBC article about calls to replace Sunak. At the end they mention a recent you gov poll (stress this is just one poll) that shows a Labour majority of 120 seats if people vote as they say they would.

Partly due to the redefined boundaries, which will help the Tories. Under current boundaries the predicted Labour majority would have been nearer to 180 seats."

Good point needs to be added to the extremists thread as an example of a, seemingly innocuous, policy that is only there to benefit the incumbent govt to help secure their hold on power.

in Lancashire

"Just read a BBC article about calls to replace Sunak. At the end they mention a recent you gov poll (stress this is just one poll) that shows a Labour majority of 120 seats if people vote as they say they would. "

They do like changing the leader don't they..

South West London

It be suicide for the Tories if they changed their leader in an election year but who cares if nobodys going to vote for them because I definately wont alongside with Labour too

golden fields

"It be suicide for the Tories if they changed their leader in an election year but who cares if nobodys going to vote for them because I definately wont alongside with Labour too"

Some of them seem to want Sunak gone.

Pat who posts up here often is a diehard Tory and doesn't seem to be on board with Sunak.

It might happen.

By *abioMan 15 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

If anyone thinks for example braverman would get you anymore seats in a general election than Sunak.. then I think are barmy…

Unless the plan is to bring back truss…then you are bonkers!

Or boris Johnson.. and I think I would need to have you committed!!

A Braverman type headbanger might stem the flow of votes from Tory to reform, but they’re on target to win a grand total of 0 seats as things stand, so it’s not going to achieve very much.

It’s time for Sunak to admit the game is up and call an Easter election (he won’t).

milton keynes

"Just read a BBC article about calls to replace Sunak. At the end they mention a recent you gov poll (stress this is just one poll) that shows a Labour majority of 120 seats if people vote as they say they would.

Partly due to the redefined boundaries, which will help the Tories. Under current boundaries the predicted Labour majority would have been nearer to 180 seats."

With either figure I was way out with my 40 seat majority prediction.

milton keynes

Partly due to the redefined boundaries, which will help the Tories. Under current boundaries the predicted Labour majority would have been nearer to 180 seats.

Good point needs to be added to the extremists thread as an example of a, seemingly innocuous, policy that is only there to benefit the incumbent govt to help secure their hold on power. "

It is also an example for that thread that any party has such opportunities not just extreme ones.

By *mateur100Man 15 weeks ago

nr faversham

Labour will win by 65-70 seats

Ealing

"A Braverman type headbanger might stem the flow of votes from Tory to reform, but they’re on target to win a grand total of 0 seats as things stand, so it’s not going to achieve very much.

It’s time for Sunak to admit the game is up and call an Easter election (he won’t)."

. However the game is never up unto election day . The only result that counts is that achieved on the day of the election .

There is at least eleven months ahead in order to organise an effective campaign.

The Conservatives just need to cut a deal with reform. It is a bit foolish to split the right win vote

By *anJenny 181Couple 15 weeks ago

Preston

Turkeys voting for Christmas comes to mind

"

The Conservatives just need to cut a deal with reform. It is a bit foolish to split the right win vote "

The Tories are polling around 25-28 points below Labour. Reform are polling around 9-10%

The shy Tory vote isn’t worth the difference. They’re toast.

in Lancashire

"A Braverman type headbanger might stem the flow of votes from Tory to reform, but they’re on target to win a grand total of 0 seats as things stand, so it’s not going to achieve very much.

It’s time for Sunak to admit the game is up and call an Easter election (he won’t).. However the game is never up unto election day . The only result that counts is that achieved on the day of the election .

There is at least eleven months ahead in order to organise an effective campaign.

The Conservatives just need to cut a deal with reform. It is a bit foolish to split the right win vote "

Cutting a deal with reform who don't have any sitting MPs will only serve to further split the Tory party as those current MPs in the centre and on the left will be less than happy and won't tolerate it..

And looking at the numbers there's a lot more in that camp than those who are close to reform..

Sunak would possibly be a casualty if that was proposed..

Reform will split the right wing vote themselves, that will benefit other parties in constituencies where it happens..

golden fields

"Turkeys voting for Christmas comes to mind "

History indicates the turkeys pretty often vote for Christmas.

I predict they will again this time. Despite what the polls say.

It’s time for Sunak to admit the game is up and call an Easter election (he won’t).. However the game is never up unto election day . The only result that counts is that achieved on the day of the election .

The Conservatives just need to cut a deal with reform. It is a bit foolish to split the right win vote

Cutting a deal with reform who don't have any sitting MPs will only serve to further split the Tory party as those current MPs in the centre and on the left will be less than happy and won't tolerate it..

And looking at the numbers there's a lot more in that camp than those who are close to reform..

Sunak would possibly be a casualty if that was proposed..

Reform will split the right wing vote themselves, that will benefit other parties in constituencies where it happens.."

Reform won’t do any deals with the Tories this time.

Reform helped the Tories in 2019 and sure it ended the Brexit stalemate, but aside from that all we’ve had since 2019 is Labour with a blue rosette.

We need to get rid of the Tories and install a useless Labour government as soon as possible. Then the real rebuilding can begin after that.

Wouldn’t say the SNP support has collapsed up here however I can’t see the conservatives gaining less than 10 seats up here.I believe overall we shall see a conservative majority of 50 this election.

Agree that it is a terrible shame about Truss that mistake must be dealt with when victory comes.Baroness Mone will make an excellent leader for our future

By *uietbloke67Man 15 weeks ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

I would argue they are not strictly speaking schools but a business that looks make profit through teaching. By that value they should be treated equally like any other business.

Seems fair enough to me.

By *ANDA!Man 15 weeks ago

DUMFRIES

Does it really matter who wins the next GE? Doesn't matter the colour of the banner, they're all the same self serving cunts who would fuck over the ordinary people just for the sake of saving a quid.

By *iberatedduoCouple 15 weeks ago

Ashbourne

That’s not woke. It’s showing respect and understanding for other people in society.

milton keynes

"Does it really matter who wins the next GE? Doesn't matter the colour of the banner, they're all the same self serving cunts who would fuck over the ordinary people just for the sake of saving a quid."

That pretty much sums it up nicely

Brighton

I would argue they are not strictly speaking schools but a business that looks make profit through teaching. By that value they should be treated equally like any other business.

Seems fair enough to me."

Except they do not extract that profit to pay shareholder dividends like a business. They reinvest all the money made through fees back into the objects of the charity. That is why the Charity Commission grants charity status. There are no shareholders. They do not operate as businesses. Please scroll up and read my post on private schools.

By *oo hotCouple 15 weeks ago

North West

"Does it really matter who wins the next GE? Doesn't matter the colour of the banner, they're all the same self serving cunts who would fuck over the ordinary people just for the sake of saving a quid."

You must be very young if you can’t remember how much life was materially better in the Blair/Brown era.

I’d give Starmer the nod simply based on the life that we all had in those years.

Terra Firma

"Does it really matter who wins the next GE? Doesn't matter the colour of the banner, they're all the same self serving cunts who would fuck over the ordinary people just for the sake of saving a quid.

You must be very young if you can’t remember how much life was materially better in the Blair/Brown era.

I’d give Starmer the nod simply based on the life that we all had in those years. "

This comment is an example of why people only vote for one party regardless by holding onto a time that was good and associating it to the party in power.

Our lives are impacted by global events and if we have a period of global stability we will see benefits regardless of the party in charge.

We will probably feel better when labour take power, due to the media turning their attention away from conservative infighting, causing a sense of calm.

Both the labour party or the conservative party would face the same problems, dealing with them wont be that much different, if you prefer a red tie you will think labour are managing well, if you prefer blue, they will be doing a terrible job.

Brighton

"Does it really matter who wins the next GE? Doesn't matter the colour of the banner, they're all the same self serving cunts who would fuck over the ordinary people just for the sake of saving a quid.

I’d give Starmer the nod simply based on the life that we all had in those years. "

The late 90s early 00s were a good time but we have to be honest that this was not solely down to Blair/Brown. They were also lucky to ride a wave of economic boom time in Western economies (some of which in turned out to be built on sand leading to the worldwide financial crisis in 2008). Conversely you also cannot blame Labour for the worldwide economic problems of the 70s (people try).

borehamwood

the life you had you meen, i remember the blair years and my life wasnt any better under that shower of shite than it is under this shower of shite,and there are plenty out there who think the same, if you were middle class you had it good, if you was poor it was same shit different monkey in charge

By *melie LALWoman 15 weeks ago

Peterborough

Pat how do you define what a woman is?. The answer is obvious . Just buy a biology book or a copy of the bible . The answer that Boris Johnson gave is good enough for me and most rational people agreed with him. My answer is not any different to 99.9 % of the population . I don't think you are allowed to upload pictures onto this forum otherwise I would upload drawings to prove the point. Hope that clarifies.

You can put said images onto your profiles.. "

Or put XX in your blog

Peterborough

The FT has a very good article more pertinent about voters being potentially excluded when the GE comes ... It seems a bit odd that if part privatisation does not want other countries run it very successfully. Very few countries have a servive entirely funded by the state.

Turnaround times are much quicker in Frane and I do not see many people there complaining about the service.

Maybe the issue that needs addressing is the NHS run for the benefit of the employees or the patient. "

Neither

Peterborough

I strongly believe their sums are wrong on this and there will be an increase of kids needing state school places and funding without a corresponding/comparable uplift in tax collected from the private schools. This will end up costing tax payers more with little to show for it!"

I would have loved to have gone to a private school by scholarship/bursary.

South West London

Fuck it Im voting Reform, had enough of Tories and Labour running the show all the time

golden fields

"Fuck it Im voting Reform, had enough of Tories and Labour running the show all the time"

You've mentioned several times that you're against anyone who is aware of social injustice, especially racism. So reform are probably a good fit for you.

How do you feel. about their anti-science stance?

Terra Firma

"Fuck it Im voting Reform, had enough of Tories and Labour running the show all the time

You've mentioned several times that you're against anyone who is aware of social injustice, especially racism. So reform are probably a good fit for you.

How do you feel. about their anti-science stance?"

What policy do Reform have that is racist?

Specific, not an off the cuff reply please, because this is a big accusation

By *appylarry20Man 15 weeks ago

NW

Latest polling is for a labour led coalition. Lab/Lib(/SNP?)

golden fields

"Fuck it Im voting Reform, had enough of Tories and Labour running the show all the time

How do you feel. about their anti-science stance?

What policy do Reform have that is racist?

"

Don't know.

"

Specific, not an off the cuff reply please, because this is a big accusation "

Who made this accusation?

milton keynes

"Fuck it Im voting Reform, had enough of Tories and Labour running the show all the time"

I was quite surprised to see that reform want to nationalise 50% of key utility companies. I assumed they would have been the opposite for some reason. Along with simplifying the tax system, that us 2 things often mentioned on this forum.

South West London

How do you feel. about their anti-science stance?"

I'm not bothered about them being anti - science and besides they're not as anti science as you make them out to be despite some of the things they come out with regarding the climate. They actually do believe that there is something wrong with the climate but they dont believe it to a doomsday level that some of you do

golden fields

How do you feel. about their anti-science stance? I'm not bothered about them being anti - science and besides they're not as anti science as you make them out to be despite some of the things they come out with regarding the climate. They actually do believe that there is something wrong with the climate but they dont believe it to a doomsday level that some of you do"

Voting for a party that doesn't understand how science works, would be a red flag for me. Believing some nonsense over verified peer reviewed research is a dangerous path.

By *ottom charlieMan 15 weeks ago

washington

one bunch of tossers and money grabbers out and another bunch of spend spend tossers who will rack up billions of national debt will win

By *0shadesOfFilthMan 15 weeks ago

nearby

"Just predict who will win. As the SNP support has collapsed my prediction is that the Conservatives will win with a majority of 20. Hardly the stunning success of the 2019 election. Jeremy Hunt needs to have a voter friendly budget. Will check this again in a years time . Just a shame that Lizz Truss resigned before her policies were put into action . Np prize for the winner but let's see who is closest. one bunch of tossers and money grabbers out and another bunch of spend spend tossers who will rack up billions of national debt will win "

Tory increase in national debt from

£878,000,000,000 to

£2,591,000,000,000

Surpasses labour. Factor in austerity cuts, its well over £3trn

South West London

How do you feel. about their anti-science stance? I'm not bothered about them being anti - science and besides they're not as anti science as you make them out to be despite some of the things they come out with regarding the climate. They actually do believe that there is something wrong with the climate but they dont believe it to a doomsday level that some of you do

Voting for a party that doesn't understand how science works, would be a red flag for me. Believing some nonsense over verified peer reviewed research is a dangerous path.

"

You vote for whoever serves your best interest but Im saying Im voting for Reform

golden fields

How do you feel. about their anti-science stance? I'm not bothered about them being anti - science and besides they're not as anti science as you make them out to be despite some of the things they come out with regarding the climate. They actually do believe that there is something wrong with the climate but they dont believe it to a doomsday level that some of you do

You vote for whoever serves your best interest but Im saying Im voting for Reform "

Fair enough, I'll vote for a party that knows science is real, and doesn't want teachers to be more racist.

By *hitsbayMan 15 weeks ago

Whitstable

I think the only realistic prediction is a large labour majority and the Tories justly being humiliated.

Even Question time has turned on them the writing is on the wall,Reform will steal a lot of the #never labour vote to..

By *idnight RamblerMan 14 weeks ago

Pershore

It seems a true blessing to have a choice between Starmer and Sunak as opposed to Trump vs Biden.

By *abtasticsbackMan 14 weeks ago

manchester

You vote for whoever serves your best interest but Im saying Im voting for Reform "

I think reform will de ‘relatively ‘ well (they obviously won’t win any seats) and will help labour win the next election

By *riskyChic85Woman 14 weeks ago

Kings Cross

Labour haven't been in power for almost 14 years

By (user no longer on site) 14 weeks ago

Labour haven't been in power for almost 14 years"

People need to realise that

Yes Labour wasn’t the best but by now we could have reversed every single one of those mistakes but most of the conservatives would rather play politics than get serious

By *oo hotCouple 14 weeks ago

North West

"I think the only realistic prediction is a large labour majority and the Tories justly being humiliated.

Even Question time has turned on them the writing is on the wall,Reform will steal a lot of the #never labour vote to.. "

Any person who can reasonably think that a bunch of extraordinarily wealthy chancers has the best interests of ordinary folk at heart needs to give their head a wobble. Reform are basically the ERG and extremist wing of the Conservative Party.

Unlike others on this thread, I do think that Reform may well get some MP’s at least before the election because I think that some Conservative extremists will jump ship to Reform because of their misguided belief that Britain wants more extreme right wing ideology.

Britain doesn’t want this.

What we want is quiet Government just getting on with what they need to do without stoking agitation, anger and division at every opportunity. We are tired of that shit.

North West

I’d give Starmer the nod simply based on the life that we all had in those years.

This comment is an example of why people only vote for one party regardless by holding onto a time that was good and associating it to the party in power.

Our lives are impacted by global events and if we have a period of global stability we will see benefits regardless of the party in charge.

We will probably feel better when labour take power, due to the media turning their attention away from conservative infighting, causing a sense of calm.

Both the labour party or the conservative party would face the same problems, dealing with them wont be that much different, if you prefer a red tie you will think labour are managing well, if you prefer blue, they will be doing a terrible job."

Except that I have voted Conservative for most of my adult life until Tony Blair arrived on the scene. I voted twice for Blair and then for Brown (because I thought he did well dealing with the financial crash). In the last two elections I voted Labour again because I like our local MP.

Ultimately GDP per capita was higher in the Blair years than it has ever been since. In essence this meant that as a nation we were all richer. Government deficit also didn’t exist for some of the Blair years and the economy ran a surplus. Oh, and in the Blair years we kind of all felt like one nation instead of kicking each other and bitching like we have in the last decade or so.

Both the labour party or the conservative party would face the same problems, dealing with them wont be that much different, if you prefer a red tie you will think labour are managing well, if you prefer blue, they will be doing a terrible job.

Except that I have voted Conservative for most of my adult life until Tony Blair arrived on the scene. I voted twice for Blair and then for Brown (because I thought he did well dealing with the financial crash). In the last two elections I voted Labour again because I like our local MP.

Ultimately GDP per capita was higher in the Blair years than it has ever been since. In essence this meant that as a nation we were all richer. Government deficit also didn’t exist for some of the Blair years and the economy ran a surplus. Oh, and in the Blair years we kind of all felt like one nation instead of kicking each other and bitching like we have in the last decade or so."

The only thing we have Blair to thank for is Brexit. Blair is probably the most hated politician alive in this country.

The idea that we all sit around wishing that we were being governed by Blair and his bunch of liars and war criminals is delusional.

By *ostindreamsMan 14 weeks ago

London

At this point, it will take a phenomenal mistake from Labour party for the Tories to win. Starmer already reduced the chances for any fuck-ups by shutting down the likes of Diane Abbott. It's their election to lose now.

The Tories need this time in the opposition to go back to the drawing board and figure out what they actually represent and find a leader who could unite them.

By *orses and Ponies OP   Man 14 weeks ago

Ealing

It looks like Rishi Sunak has failed the party and allowing him to be a pm was a horrendous mistake.

Still there is plenty of talent still left where Boris Johnson and Lizz Truss left off .

The best time to be low in the polls is now . It just takes a highly organised campaign to pull in the votes on the day of the election . Hopefully the fourth election win in a row.

Jeremy Hunt should aim make significant tax cuts in the budget

By *irldnCouple 14 weeks ago

Brighton

"It looks like Rishi Sunak has failed the party and allowing him to be a pm was a horrendous mistake.

Still there is plenty of talent still left where Boris Johnson and Lizz Truss left off .

The best time to be low in the polls is now . It just takes a highly organised campaign to pull in the votes on the day of the election . Hopefully the fourth election win in a row.

Jeremy Hunt should aim make significant tax cuts in the budget "

Pat why do you insist on calling Liz Truss by the name Lizz Truss? This isn’t the first time?

Personally I prefer Thick Lizzy

By *adgerMan 14 weeks ago

york

"I think the only realistic prediction is a large labour majority and the Tories justly being humiliated.

Even Question time has turned on them the writing is on the wall,Reform will steal a lot of the #never labour vote to..

Any person who can reasonably think that a bunch of extraordinarily wealthy chancers has the best interests of ordinary folk at heart needs to give their head a wobble. Reform are basically the ERG and extremist wing of the Conservative Party.

Unlike others on this thread, I do think that Reform may well get some MP’s at least before the election because I think that some Conservative extremists will jump ship to Reform because of their misguided belief that Britain wants more extreme right wing ideology.

Britain doesn’t want this.

What we want is quiet Government just getting on with what they need to do without stoking agitation, anger and division at every opportunity. We are tired of that shit."

Amen to that!

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 14 weeks ago

golden fields

"It looks like Rishi Sunak has failed the party and allowing him to be a pm was a horrendous mistake.

I agree. The electorate are malleable. And the Tory PR machine hasn't kicked in yet.

Looks like we're the only two predicting five more years of the same bullshit.

By *aribbean King 1985Man 14 weeks ago

South West London

While you get chaos and sleaze with the Tories, you will get a jokesy wokesy type of government from Labour. Both unappealing to me

manchester

"While you get chaos and sleaze with the Tories, you will get a jokesy wokesy type of government from Labour. Both unappealing to me"

A vote reform will help labour win, btw, what is a jokesy wokesy government?

manchester

Boris isn’t an MP and thick Lizzie was outlasted as PM by a lettuce

Ealing

Pat why do you insist on calling Liz Truss by the name Lizz Truss? This isn’t the first time?

Personally I prefer Thick Lizzy "

. Just common decency . I recognise her talent and she worked for a very prestigious oil company. In addition she was minister for International Trade and subsequently became PM. What a great achievement. How many people can say MPs elected them to be PM. ? Very few .

manchester

Personally I prefer Thick Lizzy . Just common decency . I recognise her talent and she worked for a very prestigious oil company. In addition she was minister for International Trade and subsequently became PM. What a great achievement. How many people can say MPs elected them to be PM. ? Very few . "

She was outlasted by a lettuce,

How does the SNP collapse translate to anything other than an increase in labour seats?

By *erlins5Man 14 weeks ago

South Fife

[Removed by poster at 29/01/24 18:20:05]

South Fife

[Removed by poster at 29/01/24 18:24:51]

South Fife

Most people who would normally vote SNP are unlikely to vote Tory. I think Labour will benefit most and will win the General Election and Scotland turning away from Labour in recent years has ironically helped the Tories to gain power in the UK in my opinion. You may be surprised how many Scots will still vote SNP. Also rather scarily I still think a lot of voters in England will still vote tory so I woodgrain write them off.. The mainstream press are very powerful and a lot of people actually believe what they read there.

Just my thoughts, I am no expert.

By *aribbean King 1985Man 14 weeks ago

South West London

Obviously I was too young to vote at the time but if people remember the 1992 Election when Labour were 10 points on average in the polls only to actually lose the election on the day. So when these polls are showing Labour are 20 points ahead on average at the moment I take them with a pinch of salt

"Obviously I was too young to vote at the time but if people remember the 1992 Election when Labour were 10 points on average in the polls only to actually lose the election on the day. So when these polls are showing Labour are 20 points ahead on average at the moment I take them with a pinch of salt"

Yes I think the country leans conservative naturally(Well since Blair a lot more than it used to).

golden fields

[Removed by poster at 29/01/24 21:14:06]

golden fields

"While you get chaos and sleaze with the Tories, you will get a jokesy wokesy type of government from Labour. Both unappealing to me"

Why is being aware of social injustice, especially racism, so unappealing to you?

Most of us think it's a good thing.

North West

Personally I prefer Thick Lizzy . Just common decency . I recognise her talent and she worked for a very prestigious oil company. In addition she was minister for International Trade and subsequently became PM. What a great achievement. How many people can say MPs elected them to be PM. ? Very few . "

She had (and has) no political talent at all. If she had she would not have been outlived by a lettuce.

The current crop of Tory MP’s are the most incompetent MP’s that any Government has had in living memory. The reason that they have so disastrously managed the country over the last 3 years or so is because they solely had to pledge an allegiance to Brexit to have permission to stand.

Traditional One Nation Conservatives and politicians from the old Conservative Party who had political experience, gravitas and great intelligence were replaced by bonehead Brexit loyalists.

For generations we have laughed at African cronyism and then in the 21st Century it happened right here in Westminster.

By *otMe66Man 14 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"While you get chaos and sleaze with the Tories, you will get a jokesy wokesy type of government from Labour. Both unappealing to me

Why is being aware of social injustice, especially racism, so unappealing to you?

Most of us think it's a good thing. "

Still playing the “I have no idea that there are other meanings to the phrase woke” card?

Come on you’re better than that.

golden fields

"While you get chaos and sleaze with the Tories, you will get a jokesy wokesy type of government from Labour. Both unappealing to me

Most of us think it's a good thing.

Still playing the “I have no idea that there are other meanings to the phrase woke” card?

Come on you’re better than that. "

Are you suggesting he's using some kind of personal slang meaning, rather than the dictionary definition?

If so, maybe he should say that? Otherwise it doesn't look great.

Brighton

But your common decency doesn’t stretch to spelling her name right? Ever!

Truss was/is a Tufton St Shill. Nothing more. Not an original thought in her marionette head.

By *estivalMan 14 weeks ago

borehamwood

Personally I prefer Thick Lizzy . Just common decency . I recognise her talent and she worked for a very prestigious oil company. In addition she was minister for International Trade and subsequently became PM. What a great achievement. How many people can say MPs elected them to be PM. ? Very few .

Truss was/is a Tufton St Shill. Nothing more. Not an original thought in her marionette head."

so like most other people in westminster then, at least shes amongst all the other rats

By *rightsidesCouple 14 weeks ago

rugby

Unlike me

This could swing either way

Brighton

Personally I prefer Thick Lizzy . Just common decency . I recognise her talent and she worked for a very prestigious oil company. In addition she was minister for International Trade and subsequently became PM. What a great achievement. How many people can say MPs elected them to be PM. ? Very few .

Truss was/is a Tufton St Shill. Nothing more. Not an original thought in her marionette head.so like most other people in westminster then, at least shes amongst all the other rats"

Maybe but some are more shit than others!

Ealing

Truss was/is a Tufton St Shill. Nothing more. Not an original thought in her marionette head."

. Sometimes in life you have to be in touch with reality .

Anyone can log on to their phone or laptop and post criticisms of her .

Criticising someone is very different to having a lifetime of achievements . You do not become pm of a country by chance. BP as a company have a rigorous recruiter process.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple 14 weeks ago

in Lancashire

When all around are saying do not put any money on that horse..

manchester

Truss was/is a Tufton St Shill. Nothing more. Not an original thought in her marionette head.. Sometimes in life you have to be in touch with reality .

Criticising someone is very different to having a lifetime of achievements . You do not become pm of a country by chance. BP as a company have a rigorous recruiter process. "

She was a pathetic PM, why did she only last 119 days, the shortest serving PM in British history , outlasted by a lettuce

"

Criticising someone is very different to having a lifetime of achievements . You do not become pm of a country by chance. "

And you’d have said the same if 2017 went differently and Corbyn became PM?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple 14 weeks ago

in Lancashire

Truss was/is a Tufton St Shill. Nothing more. Not an original thought in her marionette head.. Sometimes in life you have to be in touch with reality .

Criticising someone is very different to having a lifetime of achievements . You do not become pm of a country by chance. BP as a company have a rigorous recruiter process.

She was a pathetic PM, why did she only last 119 days, the shortest serving PM in British history , outlasted by a lettuce "

She was very good for the currency speculation lot, almost like they were sponsoring her..

By *quirtyndirty!Couple 14 weeks ago

Nottingham

I think Labour will win the next election by a landslide , not because there is a huge support for them , but because of a range of factors, mainly disgust by traditional Conservative voters and the Red Wall on how the country is being run.

The main issue at the election will be immigration and Starmer's administration is no more likely to lower numbers than the Tories, and Labour are likely to implement a de facto amnesty that will see bogus asylum seekers gaining priority access to housing, which won't go down well with working class voters at all - and could even incentivise more of the same. He can attempt to pass further legislation, but we've already had two borders acts from the Tories that haven't made the slightest dent.

Ultimately dinghy migrants are banking on the fact that their risk of removal is minimal, and unless there is a deterrent, where the risk of removal is considerable, they will keep coming. Meanwhile, Starmer is even less likely to get a grip on out-of-control legal immigration. (Though he would struggle to do worse than the Tories).

By that point, we will see law and order spiralling ourt of control, because that's happening anyway, and "far right" sentiment will gradually become actual far right sentiment. This will be exacerbated by a statistically likely Lee Rigby type incident involving an asylum seeker.

In the meantime, the Tories will be fighting like rats in a sack, as they attempt to discern what it is they stand for. This will determine whether or not Starmer gets a second term. Eventually though, the penny will drop with the Tories that they're not getting back into power with a party like Reform (and voter apathy) eroding their base - unless, of course, they make a firm manifesto commitment to ditch the ECHR.

The only thing that will delay our departure is if moronic "one nation" Tories decide the reason they lost was because they were too far right, and set about the ritual of "detoxifying the brand" by plastering themselves with rainbow flags and doubling down on green jobs shtick. It won't take very long for voters to want rid of Starmer's clan of mouthbreathers but they won't go out to vote Tory if they're the party of centrist dads led by a one-nation wetwipe.

I don't see Reform replacing the Tory party and I don't see them performing as well as some anticipate but it will be the electoral irritant that keeps the Tories out of office unless the Tories have something to offer that might motivate the voters they have utterly betrayed this time around.

The problem with Labour and one nation Tories, is that they're desperately trying to shore up global technocracy and the neoliberal "rules based order" when it's collapsing around them, when nobody actually wants them to uphold it.

Nobody wants their "green revolution", and nobody wants to "set an example on the world stage". What people actually want is an affordable home, a bit of financial security, stable energy bills, controlled immigration and a halfway functioning health service. They want competent politicians who speak up for the concerns of British people. For as long as that's not on offer, I won't be alone in tossing my polling card in the bin.

The reason the ECHR will be the wedge issue is because it lets us know who wants to move forward and modernise Britain, in line with the new reality, and who wants to keep us entangled in a morass of international treaties that prevent us from determining our own borders.

Since the sentiment behind Brexit was roundly ignored by the political class, and they've tried to brush it under the carpet ever since, they've set the ball rolling on a Brexit 2.0 that will sweep them all aside. It's hard to predict what form it will take, but liberalism as we know it is dead, and nature abhors a political vacuum. The clock is ticking on this dying regime.

Regular folk supporting the end of the ECHR. Jesus Christ.

A little bit of advice: they don’t want out of it in order to benefit you.

manchester

"Regular folk supporting the end of the ECHR. Jesus Christ.

A little bit of advice: they don’t want out of it in order to benefit you."

Exactly, they haven’t got a clue what the ECHR is or does

Nottingham

Just wait and see...

By *ellhungvweMan 14 weeks ago

Cheltenham

I think the whole political set up will look very different in 10 years time. The current party dynamic is looking like it has run its course because there is very little pro support for Labour and they will likely only win due to the fact that they are not the Tories.

For me the real battle points should be the warning that the fall of the Red wall pointed out in the last election. The first party that can offer a properly realistic approach to governing for the country outside London will rule for a generation.

This doesn’t have to be populist (and would probably do better if it wasn’t) but it does need to invest substantial resources into the wider country instead of pumping increasing sums into London which just exacerbates the difference.

Investing properly in the northern cities would be a great idea. Understanding the issues of rural life would capture lots of that vote.

manchester

"Just wait and see... "

Won’t happen

manchester

"I think the whole political set up will look very different in 10 years time. The current party dynamic is looking like it has run its course because there is very little pro support for Labour and they will likely only win due to the fact that they are not the Tories.

For me the real battle points should be the warning that the fall of the Red wall pointed out in the last election. The first party that can offer a properly realistic approach to governing for the country outside London will rule for a generation.

This doesn’t have to be populist (and would probably do better if it wasn’t) but it does need to invest substantial resources into the wider country instead of pumping increasing sums into London which just exacerbates the difference.

Investing properly in the northern cities would be a great idea. Understanding the issues of rural life would capture lots of that vote."

Well said, you could be right

Nottingham

A little bit of advice: they don’t want out of it in order to benefit you."

They will want out of it when then see it will clearly benefit them

manchester

They will want out of it when then see it will clearly benefit them "

How? Which political party is going to put leaving the ECHR in their manifesto?

Nottingham

Where will the money come from to invest in Northern cities? Ballooning welfare payments, shrinking tax receipts despite the tax burden being the highest since the war and trillions wasted on net zero will make sure that any meaningful investment is a pipedream.

Nottingham

How? Which political party is going to put leaving the ECHR in their manifesto? "

If you read my admittedly long post you would see that the only Hooe the Tories have in regaining power is to leave the ECHR.

Reform have that in their plans but they have the wrong leader and

I don't believe they know what they want to be electable.

They will want out of it when then see it will clearly benefit them "

How will leaving the ECHR benefit Joe average? Serious now.

manchester

"Where will the money come from to invest in Northern cities? Ballooning welfare payments, shrinking tax receipts despite the tax burden being the highest since the war and trillions wasted on net zero will make sure that any meaningful investment is a pipedream. "

You do realise green energy will create jobs, why buy our oil and gas from abroad when we can create our own energy

manchester

How? Which political party is going to put leaving the ECHR in their manifesto?

If you read my admittedly long post you would see that the only Hooe the Tories have in regaining power is to leave the ECHR.

Reform have that in their plans but they have the wrong leader and

I don't believe they know what they want to be electable."

Won’t happen

Nottingham

Why not?

By *ellhungvweMan 14 weeks ago

Cheltenham

"Where will the money come from to invest in Northern cities? Ballooning welfare payments, shrinking tax receipts despite the tax burden being the highest since the war and trillions wasted on net zero will make sure that any meaningful investment is a pipedream. "

Money _is_ going to be invested - I haven’t seen any one seriously suggest that the taps are going to be completely shut down. It is a question of where it goes. It won’t happen in this election cycle but I am simply pointing out the feeling that I see happening in the wider country.

manchester

"Why not? "

Stupid idea with very little support

Nottingham

"Where will the money come from to invest in Northern cities? Ballooning welfare payments, shrinking tax receipts despite the tax burden being the highest since the war and trillions wasted on net zero will make sure that any meaningful investment is a pipedream.

You do realise green energy will create jobs, why buy our oil and gas from abroad when we can create our own energy "

Green energy will create jobs. Virtually all in China. Politicians love to bang on about this , where are all these so called green jobs?

manchester

"Where will the money come from to invest in Northern cities? Ballooning welfare payments, shrinking tax receipts despite the tax burden being the highest since the war and trillions wasted on net zero will make sure that any meaningful investment is a pipedream.

You do realise green energy will create jobs, why buy our oil and gas from abroad when we can create our own energy

Green energy will create jobs. Virtually all in China. Politicians love to bang on about this , where are all these so called green jobs? "

Where are all the fossil fuel jobs in the UK? Would you prefer to be energy self sufficient or to be reliant on other countries? Have you seen the cost of energy right now?

Nottingham

Yeah it's a stupid idea to be able control immigration and not let a city the size of Birmingham move here every year, most of whom have minimal qualifications and will exist on benefits and/ or the black economy.

manchester

"Yeah it's a stupid idea to be able control immigration and not let a city the size of Birmingham move here every year, most of whom have minimal qualifications and will exist on benefits and/ or the black economy. "

When did this happen ? , we left the EU , we now control our borders

Nottingham

We are sitting on 100 years worth of natural gas that is waiting to be fracked. We have developed small nuclear reactors. Politicians seem to want us to be at the mercy of the wind and sun though and that is why our energy is so expensive as its intermittent and needs to be backed up by more reliable sources

manchester

"We are sitting on 100 years worth of natural gas that is waiting to be fracked. We have developed small nuclear reactors. Politicians seem to want us to be at the mercy of the wind and sun though and that is why our energy is so expensive as its intermittent and needs to be backed up by more reliable sources "

Fake news, fracking doesn’t work in the UK, we are too small

Nottingham

We clearly don't control our borders as I have illustrated

manchester

"We clearly don't control our borders as I have illustrated "

Why not? We left the EU to control our borders

Nottingham

Too small? Various studies have shown that we can produce as much natural shale gas as we need. One report of a teacup rattling in Blackpool and the green blob putting scare stories out and a ignorant government in hoc with said green blob have cost us billions.