FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Lower UK government borrowing raises prospects of tax cuts

Lower UK government borrowing raises prospects of tax cuts

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *0shadesOfFilth OP   Man 15 weeks ago

nearby

BBC reporting the difference between government spending and tax income - fell to £7.8bn in December (ONS).

Leaving room for the chancellor to tempt voters with £20bn tax cuts.

Total debt - which is the overall amount of money owed by the government that has built up over years - was £2.67 trillion at the end of December.

That is the equivalent of 97.7% of the size of the UK's economy as measured by gross domestic product (GDP), remaining at levels last seen in the early 1960s, the ONS said.

Perpetual debt for the grandchildren but we can feel good now with some small tax cuts.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *irldnCouple 15 weeks ago

Brighton

Guarantee there will be headline grabbing tax cuts (but keep an eye on the stealth taxes) as it really is the only weapon the current Govt have to not lose the election!

By *0shadesOfFilth OP   Man 15 weeks ago

nearby

"Guarantee there will be headline grabbing tax cuts (but keep an eye on the stealth taxes) as it really is the only weapon the current Govt have to not lose the election!"

‘Inheritance Tax receipts for April 2023 to December 2023 are £5.7 billion, which is £0.4 billion higher than the same period last year’ (ONS)

Will this be abolished as rumoured

Brighton

"Guarantee there will be headline grabbing tax cuts (but keep an eye on the stealth taxes) as it really is the only weapon the current Govt have to not lose the election!

‘Inheritance Tax receipts for April 2023 to December 2023 are £5.7 billion, which is £0.4 billion higher than the same period last year’ (ONS)

Will this be abolished as rumoured "

Yes. It is highly emotive even though it affects far fewer people than generally believed.

By *orses and PoniesMan 15 weeks ago

Ealing

"Guarantee there will be headline grabbing tax cuts (but keep an eye on the stealth taxes) as it really is the only weapon the current Govt have to not lose the election!

Will this be abolished as rumoured "

. Hopefully yes . A very unfair tax that penalises the prudent I had one employee of HMRC that attempted to value an asset at 150 % of its true value . Her style of dress was hardly impressive . She even wore an anorak.

Brighton

Will this be abolished as rumoured . Hopefully yes . A very unfair tax that penalises the prudent I had one employee of HMRC that attempted to value an asset at 150 % of its true value . Her style of dress was hardly impressive . She even wore an anorak. "

I love your anecdotes. You have so many too!

By *eroy1000Man 15 weeks ago

milton keynes

"BBC reporting the difference between government spending and tax income - fell to £7.8bn in December (ONS).

Leaving room for the chancellor to tempt voters with £20bn tax cuts.

Total debt - which is the overall amount of money owed by the government that has built up over years - was £2.67 trillion at the end of December.

That is the equivalent of 97.7% of the size of the UK's economy as measured by gross domestic product (GDP), remaining at levels last seen in the early 1960s, the ONS said.

Perpetual debt for the grandchildren but we can feel good now with some small tax cuts. "

As nice as tax cuts are and yes I know many countries run a much higher debt to economy size but wouldn't it be better to use that money to reduce debt. After all its a reduction in borrowing not a surplus as far as I see

By *aribbean King 1985Man 15 weeks ago

South West London

I welcome tax cuts when it's necessary and possible but whether it will sway my vote doubt it

By (user no longer on site) 15 weeks ago

We need to cut spending and increase the tax cuts

Too much tax is collected by the government

The debt ratio is ridiculous and we must make sure we are always collecting more than we are spending in non emergencies(like now)

By *oah VailMan 15 weeks ago

Dover

Tax cuts mean service cuts.

I’m happy to pay my share.

» Add a new message to this topic