FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > “Ideology never put food on my table,”

“Ideology never put food on my table,”

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *andu66 OP   Couple 7 weeks ago

South Devon

blunt, bolshie and terrifies the Tories

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2024/mar/23/angela-rayner-roots-rough-edges-ready-for-power

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple 7 weeks ago

Newcastle under Lyme

Bad decisions in her personal life and leaning far too heavily on the 'poverty' she grew up in like she's the only one who did. Not the sort of person to be in a powerful position anywhere, nevermind an opposition MP.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 7 weeks ago

golden fields

"Bad decisions in her personal life and leaning far too heavily on the 'poverty' she grew up in like she's the only one who did. Not the sort of person to be in a powerful position anywhere, nevermind an opposition MP."

In general, better to have leaders who have some notion of what it's like to be an ordinary person. Rather than the usual Eton boys club pricks.

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple 7 weeks ago

Newcastle under Lyme

"In general, better to have leaders who have some notion of what it's like to be an ordinary person. Rather than the usual Eton boys club pricks."

We absolutely do need folk from proper working class backgrounds, but they still need leadership qualities that this particular woman doesn't have.

South Devon

No we wouldn't want the people of her constituency to vote her in would we.....ffs

South Devon

"Bad decisions in her personal life and leaning far too heavily on the 'poverty' she grew up in like she's the only one who did. Not the sort of person to be in a powerful position anywhere, nevermind an opposition MP."

She'd piss herself at your reply...Yep she terrifies Tories...that's good enough me

By *melie LALWoman 7 weeks ago

Peterborough

I guess we didn't read the same article!

By *idnight RamblerMan 7 weeks ago

Pershore

"Bad decisions in her personal life and leaning far too heavily on the 'poverty' she grew up in like she's the only one who did. Not the sort of person to be in a powerful position anywhere, nevermind an opposition MP.

In general, better to have leaders who have some notion of what it's like to be an ordinary person. Rather than the usual Eton boys club pricks."

Better still to have leaders who are competent and know what they're doing. A meritocracy.

South Devon

"Bad decisions in her personal life and leaning far too heavily on the 'poverty' she grew up in like she's the only one who did. Not the sort of person to be in a powerful position anywhere, nevermind an opposition MP.

In general, better to have leaders who have some notion of what it's like to be an ordinary person. Rather than the usual Eton boys club pricks.

Better still to have leaders who are competent and know what they're doing. A meritocracy. "

We wouldn't want any of that ideology stuff would we

golden fields

"In general, better to have leaders who have some notion of what it's like to be an ordinary person. Rather than the usual Eton boys club pricks.

We absolutely do need folk from proper working class backgrounds, but they still need leadership qualities that this particular woman doesn't have."

golden fields

Better still to have leaders who are competent and know what they're doing. A meritocracy. "

The last 13 years the government has been competent and knows exactly what its doing. Just so happens they aren't doing anything for anyone except themselves and those who donate large sums to their party.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan 6 weeks ago

nearby

In general, better to have leaders who have some notion of what it's like to be an ordinary person. Rather than the usual Eton boys club pricks."

Spot on two notes

By *AFKA HovisMan 6 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

What bad decisions ? And what sort of person is one we don't want in power?

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple 6 weeks ago

Newcastle under Lyme

She'd piss herself at your reply...Yep she terrifies Tories...that's good enough me "

That's because she's a low IQ moron that appeals to the lowest common denominator.

Newcastle under Lyme

[Removed by poster at 24/03/24 13:57:12]

By *yth11Couple 6 weeks ago

newark

She will have very little power as deputy pm is a figure head position and is a move by labour to give a voice but not a real say to working class voters in similar manner to what Prescott did under Blair.

By *andu66 OP   Couple 6 weeks ago

South Devon

She'd piss herself at your reply...Yep she terrifies Tories...that's good enough me

That's because she's a low IQ moron that appeals to the lowest common denominator."

Yep their terrified

By *altenkommandoMan 6 weeks ago

milton keynes

What bad decisions ? And what sort of person is one we don't want in power? "

You could start with the one where she put her integrity to one side to lie about her domestic circumstances to avoid paying the Capital Gains Tax owed on her second proprty, thereby also lying on the Electoral Register.

As with most on the Left, they demand everyone else pays for their moral compass. When it comes to them paying their fair share it’s obviously all someone else’s problem.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

What bad decisions ? And what sort of person is one we don't want in power?

You could start with the one where she put her integrity to one side to lie about her domestic circumstances to avoid paying the Capital Gains Tax owed on her second proprty, thereby also lying on the Electoral Register.

As with most on the Left, they demand everyone else pays for their moral compass. When it comes to them paying their fair share it’s obviously all someone else’s problem. "

did she do anything that was unlawful or against tax rules ?

Or is this just about moral compass ?

And therefore it's fine to have someone in power who is okay with using tax allowances to the max (and beyond in many cases).

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

[Removed by poster at 25/03/24 09:51:03]

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 6 weeks ago

Gilfach

"You could start with the one where she put her integrity to one side to lie about her domestic circumstances to avoid paying the Capital Gains Tax owed on her second proprty"

I'm not a supporter of Angela Rayner in any way, but it's clear that she just didn't know that getting married changed the rules of residence. No one, other than you, is suggesting that she did it on purpose to avoid paying CGT.

Foolish and ignorant, yes - deliberately breaking the law to save £1,500, no.

"thereby also lying on the Electoral Register."

What lie do you think she had added to the Electoral Register?

Gilfach

"did she do anything that was unlawful or against tax rules ?"

Yes she did.

That said, it's an easy mistake to make, and plenty of people do it because they aren't tax experts. Getting married has lots of tax implications and, as someone in the public eye, she should have got better advice.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"did she do anything that was unlawful or against tax rules ?

Yes she did.

That said, it's an easy mistake to make, and plenty of people do it because they aren't tax experts. Getting married has lots of tax implications and, as someone in the public eye, she should have got better advice."

thx.

Just looked at the tax policy page.

So question 2 is did she do it through intent or an error. Was it her fault or her accountants?

Gilfach

"did she do anything that was unlawful or against tax rules ?"

"Yes she did.

That said, it's an easy mistake to make, and plenty of people do it because they aren't tax experts. Getting married has lots of tax implications and, as someone in the public eye, she should have got better advice."

"So question 2 is did she do it through intent or an error. Was it her fault or her accountants?"

It seems clear to me that it was a misunderstanding of the system.

She didn't have an accountant, instead taking advice from her estate agent and the conveyancer.

Newcastle under Lyme

You don't need an accountant to know that you aren eligible for private residence relief on a second home when you're married. The questionnaire asks very clear yes or no questions.

Gilfach

"You don't need an accountant to know that you aren eligible for private residence relief on a second home when you're married. The questionnaire asks very clear yes or no questions."

But she didn't think it was a second home. She thought it was her primary dwelling, which she was selling to go and live with her new husband.

Hands up all those that knew (before this story got reported) that married couples aren't allowed to live in separate houses.

Which questionnaire are you referring to?

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"You don't need an accountant to know that you aren eligible for private residence relief on a second home when you're married. The questionnaire asks very clear yes or no questions.

But she didn't think it was a second home. She thought it was her primary dwelling, which she was selling to go and live with her new husband.

Hands up all those that knew (before this story got reported) that married couples aren't allowed to live in separate houses.

Which questionnaire are you referring to?"

I assume self assessment form.

It says you dont have to fill.put the chat page if your disposal is your main home, if you qualify for Private Residence Relief on the full amount of the gain

As it's the house she bought by herself she may see it as her main home. It's the only house she owns.

She may not realise that even if she doesnt have any interest in her hubby's home, it still counts as her main home unless they both make a nomination.

(A perverse rule that penalises marriage!)

This is all assuming she gets as far as a SA. She may have been on PAYE and told not to worry by her estate agent as she doesn't have any cgt as this is her only home.

By *altenkommandoMan 6 weeks ago

milton keynes

"You could start with the one where she put her integrity to one side to lie about her domestic circumstances to avoid paying the Capital Gains Tax owed on her second proprty

I'm not a supporter of Angela Rayner in any way, but it's clear that she just didn't know that getting married changed the rules of residence. No one, other than you, is suggesting that she did it on purpose to avoid paying CGT.

thereby also lying on the Electoral Register.

What lie do you think she had added to the Electoral Register?"

So either she is too thick to hold power if she didn’t understand something as basic as this, or she’s intelligent enough to be Dep LOTO and a tax-avoiding hypocryte. Either way. It’s not a good look. Personally I’ll go with she should have known enough to realise that she was being dishonest even if she didn’t know the detail, or she should have got some good, free, advice and followed the rules and paid the CGT. She didn’t because she wanted to trouser the money and she thought she could get away with it.

Like I said, typical leftie, wants everyone else to pay up while feathering their own nest. If that had been a Conservative MP you’d never hear the end of it.

By *enSiskoMan 6 weeks ago

Cestus 3

"You could start with the one where she put her integrity to one side to lie about her domestic circumstances to avoid paying the Capital Gains Tax owed on her second proprty

thereby also lying on the Electoral Register.

What lie do you think she had added to the Electoral Register?"

It was 48 thousand, fire up your BBc iplayer and watch the news night interview, also at this time the police are deciding if they should send her file to the CPS.

I am in two minds about Labour, I know the tories are sh1t, but I am feeling that Labour will be no better, austerity will continue under them, wages will not rise under them, in fact under them nothing will change, they are already saying this.

Newcastle under Lyme

"You don't need an accountant to know that you aren eligible for private residence relief on a second home when you're married. The questionnaire asks very clear yes or no questions.

Which questionnaire are you referring to?"

The self declaration form you file when you sell a second home. Her conveyancing solicitor would have also specifically asked her

Newcastle under Lyme

"I am in two minds about Labour, I know the tories are sh1t, but I am feeling that Labour will be no better, austerity will continue under them, wages will not rise under them, in fact under them nothing will change, they are already saying this."

The only way to break the two party system is to not vote for either party ever again. Don't ha e to go for any party, go for independents. Hell anything but blue or red Labor.

By *mateur100Man 6 weeks ago

nr faversham

"I am in two minds about Labour, I know the tories are sh1t, but I am feeling that Labour will be no better, austerity will continue under them, wages will not rise under them, in fact under them nothing will change, they are already saying this.

The only way to break the two party system is to not vote for either party ever again. Don't ha e to go for any party, go for independents. Hell anything but blue or red Labor.

"

I'm no fan of either labour or Tory but how exactly do you envisage parliament working with say 650 independents?

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"I am in two minds about Labour, I know the tories are sh1t, but I am feeling that Labour will be no better, austerity will continue under them, wages will not rise under them, in fact under them nothing will change, they are already saying this.

"

this only really works of we ditch FPTP imo. Even ukip couldn't deny the status quo.

Cestus 3

"

I have said that is what I will do in other threads, but it is coming to light that Labour are doing undemocratic things with the section process for candidates blocking independents from running at the next election.

Cestus 3

I'm no fan of either labour or Tory but how exactly do you envisage parliament working with say 650 independents?"

Ok I hear you and I do not expect an all independent house, I and others want to show who holds power in this country, so a bloody nose will do a warning that things can change for them in a blink of an eye if we are not there purpose.

Cestus 3

this only really works of we ditch FPTP imo. Even ukip couldn't deny the status quo. "

Again I agree, so look at how FPTP is treated and rejected by those who think they are in power.

By *mateur100Man 6 weeks ago

nr faversham

I'm no fan of either labour or Tory but how exactly do you envisage parliament working with say 650 independents?

Ok I hear you and I do not expect an all independent house, I and others want to show who holds power in this country, so a bloody nose will do a warning that things can change for them in a blink of an eye if we are not there purpose."

It's a nice idea and would doubtless receive lip service but I don't see it going any further

Cestus 3

Ok I hear you and I do not expect an all independent house, I and others want to show who holds power in this country, so a bloody nose will do a warning that things can change for them in a blink of an eye if we are not there purpose.

It's a nice idea and would doubtless receive lip service but I don't see it going any further "

And that's why we will go through another x amount of years of struggle for some, high mortgage payments which will lead to more homeless adults and families.

More stress on public services, with little funding, higher taxes, more sh1t in our rivers.

Because we are putting up with it, now and in the past as there was no point voting for Lib Dem or greens so it was one or the other.

Now we have more choice than previous years due to the countries situation, and it seems Labour will take over again after last times show even though we have more choice now.

Well I am glad I am solvent paid my mortgage, and can afford my bills, I should vote conservative as I would be even better off, but when labour get in I will feel no different, I just consider others who are struggling and want to do something about it.

Compassion and hope are long gone and Labour will not bring those emotions back for many people.

» Add a new message to this topic