FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Thames Water

Thames Water

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *mateur100 OP   Man 6 weeks ago

nr faversham

Apparently they need to increase customer charges by 40% to pay for investment in the infrastructure... that's disgraceful and should be the responsibility of the shareholders

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *an DeLyonMan 6 weeks ago

County Durham

"Apparently they need to increase customer charges by 40% to pay for investment in the infrastructure... that's disgraceful and should be the responsibility of the shareholders "

That's the way this country is going.. greedy shareholders rake the cash in while billpayers shoulder the burdon.. even when sewege is released into the rivers

By *mateur100 OP   Man 6 weeks ago

nr faversham

"Apparently they need to increase customer charges by 40% to pay for investment in the infrastructure... that's disgraceful and should be the responsibility of the shareholders

That's the way this country is going.. greedy shareholders rake the cash in while billpayers shoulder the burdon.. even when sewege is released into the rivers"

When investment is required, some or all of the annual operating profits are used at the expense of a shareholder dividend. They cannot be allowed to raise charges whilst continuing with dividends for a utility

By *eandmrsjones69Couple 6 weeks ago

Middle England

Privatisation has failed in so far as the utilities are concerned. It's a licence for the shareholders to print money; with no accountability and no performance indicators by which they can be measured.

The politicians, the regulator and the companies are a disgrace.

Even if this was a 30, 40, 50 year problem to fix due to the infrastructure, if they had stared when the industry went private then they would be well on their way. Instead the go on as if they've only just discovered the sewers are Victorian age.

Our seas and rivers are shocking; going to the beach is like swimming in poo. Nasty.

By *ostindreamsMan 6 weeks ago

London

"Apparently they need to increase customer charges by 40% to pay for investment in the infrastructure... that's disgraceful and should be the responsibility of the shareholders

That's the way this country is going.. greedy shareholders rake the cash in while billpayers shoulder the burdon.. even when sewege is released into the rivers

When investment is required, some or all of the annual operating profits are used at the expense of a shareholder dividend. They cannot be allowed to raise charges whilst continuing with dividends for a utility "

Did Thames Water specifically pay that much dividends though? They are in massive debt. They say they haven't paid dividends in the last five years.

By *irldnCouple 6 weeks ago

Brighton

When investment is required, some or all of the annual operating profits are used at the expense of a shareholder dividend. They cannot be allowed to raise charges whilst continuing with dividends for a utility

Did Thames Water specifically pay that much dividends though? They are in massive debt. They say they haven't paid dividends in the last five years."

But they did pay divis for many years from their “profits” while taking out loans to fund infrastructure. Now they can’t afford the loans. Perhaps the loans should have been smaller and more of their profits used for investment thus paying smaller dividends.

When the Govt privatised water they wrote off all their debts. So they were starting from a debt free basis. Exec pay also needs to be looked at. Some people made bank with what was really an unprofitable business (inc shareholders).

By *otMe66Man 6 weeks ago

Terra Firma

I imagine there is significant confusion in budgetary responsibility and understanding in utilities such as water.

The Totex from water companies has doubled since privatisation, with the nature of this industry making Capex account for the majority of the Totex.

Also, the amount of investment needed is so high it needs shareholders to invest, and they wont do that if dividends are not going to be paid, no shareholders no way of raising funds for investment.

Nationalising the water industry would add more taxes, we become the shareholders but getting a dividend is not on the cards and neither is a guaranteed better service.

By *ools and the brainCouple 6 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

Remember the credit crunch and everyone up in arms about bankers and their bonuses?

Thames water bosses just as guilty.

Dump millions of gallons of waste into the rivers and sea government don't care,

Same minister's who are probably share holders worrying about their dividends.

Yeah let the government bail them out.

Wankers.

And like the bank's once good old tax payers have gotten them out of the shit, straight back private raking in huge bonuses.

Brighton

"I imagine there is significant confusion in budgetary responsibility and understanding in utilities such as water.

The Totex from water companies has doubled since privatisation, with the nature of this industry making Capex account for the majority of the Totex.

Also, the amount of investment needed is so high it needs shareholders to invest, and they wont do that if dividends are not going to be paid, no shareholders no way of raising funds for investment.

Nationalising the water industry would add more taxes, we become the shareholders but getting a dividend is not on the cards and neither is a guaranteed better service. "

If Totex has doubled since privatisation then one has to wonder why anyone thought they would be viable commercial entity in the first place. Those shareholders needed to do more due diligence as they got sold a turkey!

Terra Firma

"I imagine there is significant confusion in budgetary responsibility and understanding in utilities such as water.

Nationalising the water industry would add more taxes, we become the shareholders but getting a dividend is not on the cards and neither is a guaranteed better service.

If Totex has doubled since privatisation then one has to wonder why anyone thought they would be viable commercial entity in the first place. Those shareholders needed to do more due diligence as they got sold a turkey!"

Not really, Thames water invested a vast amount, but as I said the bulk of the investment came through Capex and that is why they are in trouble now but that also provided an environment to pay dividends.

By *idnight RamblerMan 6 weeks ago

Pershore

If Totex has doubled since privatisation then one has to wonder why anyone thought they would be viable commercial entity in the first place. Those shareholders needed to do more due diligence as they got sold a turkey!

Not really, Thames water invested a vast amount, but as I said the bulk of the investment came through Capex and that is why they are in trouble now but that also provided an environment to pay dividends.

"

When the water utilities were privatised, the priority was potable water quality which was deteriorating fast. Huge investment elevated the Uk to top 10 drinking water quality worldwide. Sewage is complicated. Firstly, the legacy pipework is Victorian and unique in that in combines sewage and storm water. Secondly, climate change has changed water hydraulics. at times of flooding (now commonplace) sewage flows are reversed and spills occur. It's hugely complicated and costly to fix.

By *igNick1381Man 6 weeks ago

BRIDGEND

"Apparently they need to increase customer charges by 40% to pay for investment in the infrastructure... that's disgraceful and should be the responsibility of the shareholders "

If it makes you feel better I'm sure they'll announce record profits next year though

Honestly, if we could just grab a few of the top MPs and CEOs and string them up as a message to the rest I think that could work

Like, not even a lot. Just enough to send a message

Terra Firma

When the water utilities were privatised, the priority was potable water quality which was deteriorating fast. Huge investment elevated the Uk to top 10 drinking water quality worldwide. Sewage is complicated. Firstly, the legacy pipework is Victorian and unique in that in combines sewage and storm water. Secondly, climate change has changed water hydraulics. at times of flooding (now commonplace) sewage flows are reversed and spills occur. It's hugely complicated and costly to fix."

I have no doubt the management of water is complex, and expensive.

How Thames water funded the investments is somewhat questionable

By *oubleswing2019Man 6 weeks ago

Colchester

A friend of mine is quite a large shareholder (ok, not in the millions, but a few tens of thousands) in TW and he's frothing at the mouth about the whole affair. He invested personal funds in to TW and now it looks like his returns are going to get hammered. Either that or bills rise (which he is in favour of, naturally).

But he's worried this will impact customers too much and TW will lose business, and thus hit his returns.

He did say, he might just sell all his shares and move his funds elsewhere and TW can go fcuk themselves. I'm concerned that if that's the mood with a small investor, what's it like with the larger ones ? If they all did that, wouldn't that be a huge cash injection for TW ?

Pershore

When the water utilities were privatised, the priority was potable water quality which was deteriorating fast. Huge investment elevated the Uk to top 10 drinking water quality worldwide. Sewage is complicated. Firstly, the legacy pipework is Victorian and unique in that in combines sewage and storm water. Secondly, climate change has changed water hydraulics. at times of flooding (now commonplace) sewage flows are reversed and spills occur. It's hugely complicated and costly to fix.

How Thames water funded the investments is somewhat questionable "

Indeed. It now seems TW borrowed money at rock bottom interest rates and are now struggling to service their debt. Climate change and flooding is exacerbating their plight.

Terra Firma

Indeed. It now seems TW borrowed money at rock bottom interest rates and are now struggling to service their debt. Climate change and flooding is exacerbating their plight. "

Kemble water and the consortium are going to need to take the hit or lose their holdings, I’m not sure how that would be agreed though, as the consortium is likely to have very differing views, especially Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System.

Right now it looks like the least favoured option to nationalise or take into temporary administration, I think personally that is due to the complexity of the ownership, but my preference would be to temporarily take ownership.

Ultimately the government needs to address the ownership and models being used by consortiums to take over utilities like this, and ensure future financial strategies are regulated in the UK.

Pershore

Indeed. It now seems TW borrowed money at rock bottom interest rates and are now struggling to service their debt. Climate change and flooding is exacerbating their plight.

Kemble water and the consortium are going to need to take the hit or lose their holdings, I’m not sure how that would be agreed though, as the consortium is likely to have very differing views, especially Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System.

Right now it looks like the least favoured option to nationalise or take into temporary administration, I think personally that is due to the complexity of the ownership, but my preference would be to temporarily take ownership.

Ultimately the government needs to address the ownership and models being used by consortiums to take over utilities like this, and ensure future financial strategies are regulated in the UK."

Yes all of the above, plus an integrated plan of national water management that retains upland water with designated flood areas. As for sewage, the issue of spilt solids is the least of our worries. All the harmful stuff in effluent is soluble and cannot be removed by filtration. So salts, nitrates, sugars, cleaning chemicals, drugs (prescription and illegal) all wash into our rivers.

Brighton

Indeed. It now seems TW borrowed money at rock bottom interest rates and are now struggling to service their debt. Climate change and flooding is exacerbating their plight. "

Well we are always being criticised for not living within our means. Should have paid lower exec salaries, lower dividends, used more of their pre-tax profits for investment (lowering post tax profit ergo divis) and borrowed less. But of course private sector companies are all so much better run and more efficient!

Maybe, just maybe, certain things should not be considered commercial commodities?

By *ornucopiaMan 6 weeks ago

Bexley

Whatever happened to the caveat that 'the value of investments can go down as well as up'?

Why should investors in privatised former public utilities be guaranteed a gravy train seat for life?

Brighton

"Whatever happened to the caveat that 'the value of investments can go down as well as up'?

Why should investors in privatised former public utilities be guaranteed a gravy train seat for life?"

Absolutely this

Plus “your capital is at risk”

It’s almost like investors in privatised state organisations believe the state should still be there to provide a safety blanket. That socialism is ok when it bails out capitalism!

Pershore

"Whatever happened to the caveat that 'the value of investments can go down as well as up'?

Why should investors in privatised former public utilities be guaranteed a gravy train seat for life?"

They shouldn't. But investors take a risk with their capital in return for dividend payments in good years. Without some return, they will withdraw their investment and the company will founder. That's what's happening with TW.

Brighton

Why should investors in privatised former public utilities be guaranteed a gravy train seat for life?

They shouldn't. But investors take a risk with their capital in return for dividend payments in good years. Without some return, they will withdraw their investment and the company will founder. That's what's happening with TW."

Maybr shouldn’t have been privatised? Just saying

By *astandFeistyCouple 6 weeks ago

Bournemouth

They shouldn't. But investors take a risk with their capital in return for dividend payments in good years. Without some return, they will withdraw their investment and the company will founder. That's what's happening with TW.

Maybr shouldn’t have been privatised? Just saying "

This all ties in nicely with 'half of our problems have come about over decades'. Let's all blame Sunak though, it must be his fault somehow

Terra Firma

How would we have met the requirements for investment in our water to bring it up to European standards, it was not the best under national ownership.

There is an issue with regulation, it needs fixing

Brighton

This all ties in nicely with 'half of our problems have come about over decades'. Let's all blame Sunak though, it must be his fault somehow "

Who has said that? Johnson/Truss/Sunak have certainly exacerbated problems. To be fair they did have the pandemic and war in Ukraine to deal with (but some fail to give Labour a pass for the financial crash so maybe that cancels out all passes).

You could keep going back forever to identify cause and effect on national economies so everything is arguably the fault of everyone who came before!

Pershore

You can take that view. It depends on your ideology I guess, and who you trust to run things efficiently. Government handling of e.g. defence procurement is beyond incompetent. The win-win is a model between central government and private enterprise that works.

Brighton

You can take that view. It depends on your ideology I guess, and who you trust to run things efficiently. Government handling of e.g. defence procurement is beyond incompetent. The win-win is a model between central government and private enterprise that works."

My ideology is pretty much down the centre for most things. Hybrid and compromise to get the best results. I think some things should be national infrastructure and national assets paid for out of our taxes and run for our benefit. In areas where true competition is possible and therefore consumer choice, then Govt should be nowhere near it.

Bournemouth

This all ties in nicely with 'half of our problems have come about over decades'. Let's all blame Sunak though, it must be his fault somehow

Who has said that? Johnson/Truss/Sunak have certainly exacerbated problems. To be fair they did have the pandemic and war in Ukraine to deal with (but some fail to give Labour a pass for the financial crash so maybe that cancels out all passes).

You could keep going back forever to identify cause and effect on national economies so everything is arguably the fault of everyone who came before!"

Not Cameron or May?

14 years of Tory rule, remember?

Bournemouth

You can take that view. It depends on your ideology I guess, and who you trust to run things efficiently. Government handling of e.g. defence procurement is beyond incompetent. The win-win is a model between central government and private enterprise that works.

My ideology is pretty much down the centre for most things. Hybrid and compromise to get the best results. I think some things should be national infrastructure and national assets paid for out of our taxes and run for our benefit. In areas where true competition is possible and therefore consumer choice, then Govt should be nowhere near it."

It looks like you're both in agreement, I also agree. The only way to go about this is to have a mixture of Govt and Private Corp.

Personally I'm for centrally funded amenities (not necessarily run). Amenities should not be run for profit. I include travel in this too so trains and buses.

Brighton

You could keep going back forever to identify cause and effect on national economies so everything is arguably the fault of everyone who came before!

Not Cameron or May?

14 years of Tory rule, remember? "

I think problems accelerated under Johnson. Not looked at the figures but sure someone on here has.

I couldn’t stand Cameron but he looked positively brilliant in light of Johnson and Truss. May was meh! Caretaker with little conviction or power!

Bournemouth

Not Cameron or May?

14 years of Tory rule, remember?

I think problems accelerated under Johnson. Not looked at the figures but sure someone on here has.

I couldn’t stand Cameron but he looked positively brilliant in light of Johnson and Truss. May was meh! Caretaker with little conviction or power!"

You're right, May had no hope. Cameron was very underwhelming, not actually a bad thing in politics I don't think.

By *ornucopiaMan 6 weeks ago

Bexley

"

I blame Thatcher and, equally, all the greedy selfish voters who lapped up her ideology.

Terra Firma

[Removed by poster at 29/03/24 12:03:02]

Terra Firma

"

I blame Thatcher and, equally, all the greedy selfish voters who lapped up her ideology."

Why do you blame Thatcher for privatising water?

By *ostindreamsMan 6 weeks ago

London

"

I blame Thatcher and, equally, all the greedy selfish voters who lapped up her ideology."

Don't think Thatcher privatized it. But if you read about the state of the country before her, one could understand why people voted for her.

By *an DeLyonMan 5 weeks ago

County Durham

"

I blame Thatcher and, equally, all the greedy selfish voters who lapped up her ideology.

Why do you blame Thatcher for privatising water? "

She was pm when it got sold off

By *uddy laneMan 5 weeks ago

dudley

"

She was pm when it got sold off"

If enough people stop paying the water bills for swimming in their own crap a change might happen.

County Durham

"

If enough people stop paying the water bills for swimming in their own crap a change might happen."

They should have cancelled the Oxford/Cambridge boat race.. or held it somewhere else

By *enSiskoMan 5 weeks ago

Cestus 3

Putting sh1t in to the water course, I say again putting sh1t into the water course.

That is what they are doing all of them and it is no longer illegal, it used to be but now it isn't.

Now they want to hike up the cost of water to pay for upgrades that should of been the norm.

Well as I need water to survive and I buy my water as I haven't used tap water for drinking without boiling it first since the 80's, I pay 20 monthly and refuse to pay more.

By *ornucopiaMan 5 weeks ago

Bexley

"

She was pm when it got sold off"

I reckon snatching the milk was her her smartest move.

There can't have been that many schoolchildren who liked milk and must have thanked her during their subsequent time as voters!

By *otMe66Man 5 weeks ago

Terra Firma

[Removed by poster at 01/04/24 20:31:36]

Terra Firma

"

There can't have been that many schoolchildren who liked milk and must have thanked her during their subsequent time as voters!"

You haven’t answered the question… why do you blame her for the mess of Thames water nearly 40 years later? Why did the government need to privatise in the first place?

By *idnight RamblerMan 5 weeks ago

Pershore

"

There can't have been that many schoolchildren who liked milk and must have thanked her during their subsequent time as voters!

You haven’t answered the question… why do you blame her for the mess of Thames water nearly 40 years later? Why did the government need to privatise in the first place? "

It was because the government couldn't afford the massive investment in treatment works to improve the quality of potable water which was deteriorating because of acidic rain. That and Thatcher's ideological mantra of 'small government'.

Terra Firma

"

You haven’t answered the question… why do you blame her for the mess of Thames water nearly 40 years later? Why did the government need to privatise in the first place?

It was because the government couldn't afford the massive investment in treatment works to improve the quality of potable water which was deteriorating because of acidic rain. That and Thatcher's ideological mantra of 'small government'."

Both examples fit the bill but your first part is the most important in my opinion, the water we had was shocking and fell well below where it needed to be under state control.

Often overlooked….

Pershore

"

It was because the government couldn't afford the massive investment in treatment works to improve the quality of potable water which was deteriorating because of acidic rain. That and Thatcher's ideological mantra of 'small government'.

Both examples fit the bill but your first part is the most important in my opinion, the water we had was shocking and fell well below where it needed to be under state control.

Often overlooked….

"

Yes it is, as is the fact that we are now in the top 10 countries worldwide for drinking water quality. We always focus on negatives.

By *astandFeistyCouple 5 weeks ago

Bournemouth

"

Often overlooked….

Yes it is, as is the fact that we are now in the top 10 countries worldwide for drinking water quality. We always focus on negatives."

'We' don't. Some do. The media does, and yet the people who focus on negatives tend to tell the rest of us we're brainwashed by the media

County Durham

"

Often overlooked….

Yes it is, as is the fact that we are now in the top 10 countries worldwide for drinking water quality. We always focus on negatives."

How are we doing on the sewege situation though?

Pershore

"

Often overlooked….

Yes it is, as is the fact that we are now in the top 10 countries worldwide for drinking water quality. We always focus on negatives.

"

Not doing good. But then we've had 2.5 x normal rain this past Winter, so a holistic approach is needed.

County Durham

"

Often overlooked….

Not doing good. But then we've had 2.5 x normal rain this past Winter, so a holistic approach is needed. "

The guy in charge of themes water super sewer suggested keeping flood water and sewege separated.

Sounds great but also would mean doubling up on drains.

County Durham

"

You haven’t answered the question… why do you blame her for the mess of Thames water nearly 40 years later? Why did the government need to privatise in the first place? "

I would say that it's because privstisation.. especially without competition to keep insentive is a disaster.

A fortune in executive pay for poor performance plus foreign shareholders who don't get the negative impact of wading through sewege are raking in huge profits while infrastructure falls apart.

Pershore

"

Often overlooked….

Not doing good. But then we've had 2.5 x normal rain this past Winter, so a holistic approach is needed.

The guy in charge of themes water super sewer suggested keeping flood water and sewege separated.

Sounds great but also would mean doubling up on drains."

Yes it would - as they do most other countries. We could build more treatment plants on higher ground too. But do we want a sewage plant on our local hill? The solution is to manage increased rainfall and flooding somehow.

By *oo hotCouple 5 weeks ago

North West

My ideology is pretty much down the centre for most things. Hybrid and compromise to get the best results. I think some things should be national infrastructure and national assets paid for out of our taxes and run for our benefit. In areas where true competition is possible and therefore consumer choice, then Govt should be nowhere near it.

It looks like you're both in agreement, I also agree. The only way to go about this is to have a mixture of Govt and Private Corp.

Personally I'm for centrally funded amenities (not necessarily run). Amenities should not be run for profit. I include travel in this too so trains and buses. "

No entity, company or organisation should be privatised if its subsequent failure would require state intervention.

The privatisation fetish has failed ordinary people and the utility companies, transport and energy companies should be allowed to go bust and taken back into public ownership.

There are plenty of other FTSE companies out there for pension funds to invest in.

County Durham

Personally I'm for centrally funded amenities (not necessarily run). Amenities should not be run for profit. I include travel in this too so trains and buses.

No entity, company or organisation should be privatised if its subsequent failure would require state intervention.

The privatisation fetish has failed ordinary people and the utility companies, transport and energy companies should be allowed to go bust and taken back into public ownership.

There are plenty of other FTSE companies out there for pension funds to invest in."

Will the Tories ever realise this or just blunder on, driven by greed

» Add a new message to this topic