FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > So. Trump ghas single handedly saved NATO

So. Trump ghas single handedly saved NATO

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *atEvolution OP   Couple 10 weeks ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

Can't really argue with that analysis - but he's going to be insufferable to his opponents because of it.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple 10 weeks ago

Newcastle under Lyme

Some of these toffs at the top of society only respond to things when they get scolded lile their nannies probably used to tell them off.

"Some of these toffs at the top of society only respond to things when they get scolded lile their nannies probably used to tell them off."

I liked my nannie, lol - she had and umbrella and could fly.

By *irldnCouple 10 weeks ago

Brighton

Cat that was a classic clickbait thread title! Well done

By *abioMan 10 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

How? Who? What!!!

Did I miss something….. lol

Is it the “we got everyone to spend 2% of GDP on defence” thing?

It was a BBC radio debate - from a report in the Telegraph - that without Trump moaning about GDP to Defence spending of Euro nations and his threat to leave - NATO wouldn't be running around trying to spend more. So in that sense he's saved NATO from themselves and is galvanizing their efforts to 'do/pay their share'

I think it's a fair point to some degree. But it's being reported as 'Trump Saves NATO'.

You can imagine how he's going to shout that around the hustings.

By *unmatt888Man 10 weeks ago

Duns

"It was a BBC radio debate - from a report in the Telegraph - that without Trump moaning about GDP to Defence spending of Euro nations and his threat to leave - NATO wouldn't be running around trying to spend more. So in that sense he's saved NATO from themselves and is galvanizing their efforts to 'do/pay their share'

I think it's a fair point to some degree."

Increased NATO spending is a response to Putin, not Trump.

A bigger issue at the moment is that NATO are trying to Trump Proof Spending for Ukraine.

[Removed by poster at 04/04/24 15:57:12]

[Removed by poster at 04/04/24 16:01:16]

"

Increased NATO spending is a response to Putin, not Trump. "

The Debate was about Putin insisting that euro nations increase spending to 2% - he said that in 2018.

Putin invaded Ukraine in Feb 2022.

"

The Debate was about Putin insisting that euro nations increase spending to 2% - he said that in 2018.

Putin invaded Ukraine in Feb 2022."

I'll get this right yet, lol!!!

Putin = Trump. FFS

By *I TwoCouple 10 weeks ago

all around

"

Putin = Trump. "

I've been saying that for years

"

Putin = Trump.

I've been saying that for years"

Lol

By *eroy1000Man 10 weeks ago

milton keynes

"Can't really argue with that analysis - but he's going to be insufferable to his opponents because of it.

"

Not by design but I can see him taking credit for it. Russia invading Ukraine is more likely the cause with several nations suddenly realising that they may be in need of NATO protection and decide they should finally pay their way ( something they should have done from day 1). I read that the current head of NATO used to be the Dutch PM and in the 13 years of him being in office the Dutch did not meet the spending requirements once.

By *abioMan 10 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

Putin = Trump. FFS"

The answer to that is as with most things… no and yes…

Context time…..

At the time that he made the comment about thirds of the members of NATO were at the 2% of GDP level… so it was not as bad as trump made out (as an aside when trump made the statement that he wouldn’t defend them members against Russians aggression if they didn’t pay up… all of the countries bordering Russia were already at the 2% threshold)

Also… the UK actually fiddle their figures a bit because the government also includes money spent on army pensions in the defence figures!

Anyway the biggest issue is the 2% figure was a potshot at certain major countries who didn’t hit the target… his G8 buddies Germany, France and Italy! (Remember when trump stormed out of the G8 meetings in Canada early in a huff, and they laughed at him behind his back … it led to that)

Anyway now all countries hit the target… probably because they think they can’t rely on a trump led presidency to help

By *mateur100Man 10 weeks ago

nr faversham

"

Putin = Trump. FFS

Context time…..

At the time that he made the comment about thirds of the members of NATO were at the 2% of GDP level… so it was not as bad as trump made out (as an aside when trump made the statement that he wouldn’t defend them members against Russians aggression if they didn’t pay up… all of the countries bordering Russia were already at the 2% threshold)

Also… the UK actually fiddle their figures a bit because the government also includes money spent on army pensions in the defence figures!

Anyway the biggest issue is the 2% figure was a potshot at certain major countries who didn’t hit the target… his G8 buddies Germany, France and Italy! (Remember when trump stormed out of the G8 meetings in Canada early in a huff, and they laughed at him behind his back … it led to that)

Anyway now all countries hit the target… probably because they think they can’t rely on a trump led presidency to help "

So mission accomplished

By *abioMan 10 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

Putin = Trump. FFS

Context time…..

Anyway now all countries hit the target… probably because they think they can’t rely on a trump led presidency to help

So mission accomplished "

I have just rewritten what I wrote… I meant to say two thirds originally rather than third (gave trump a bit too much credit) so it’s gone up from 66% to 90%…. But I’d argue the increase in defence spending has more to do with Putin and trump cosying up to Putin

By *iman2100Man 10 weeks ago

Glasgow

Trump did save NATO, in a way.

His soft and obsequious attitude towards his hero Vlad Putin encouraged Russia to invade Ukraine.

In addition, his destructive followers in the House of Reps are doing all they can to hobble Ukraine's effort to defend themselves.

This, coupled with his attempts to distance the USA from NATO, have led to NATO members investing more heavily in defence because they expect a Trump led administration to renege on any agreement.

Brighton

"Trump did save NATO, in a way.

His soft and obsequious attitude towards his hero Vlad Putin encouraged Russia to invade Ukraine.

In addition, his destructive followers in the House of Reps are doing all they can to hobble Ukraine's effort to defend themselves.

This, coupled with his attempts to distance the USA from NATO, have led to NATO members investing more heavily in defence because they expect a Trump led administration to renege on any agreement.

"

And no doubt Trump will try and claim a victory and say that was his plan all along because he is a lying disingenuous compromised cunt.

By *otMe66Man 10 weeks ago

Terra Firma

And no doubt Trump will try and claim a victory and say that was his plan all along because he is a lying disingenuous compromised cunt."

His words sparked action and debate into a situation that needed focus.

Personal attacks on him every time his name is mentioned, is the fuel that inspires his supporters.

Brighton

And no doubt Trump will try and claim a victory and say that was his plan all along because he is a lying disingenuous compromised cunt.

Personal attacks on him every time his name is mentioned, is the fuel that inspires his supporters."

Oh I know that but the MAGA cult will be triggered by most things anyway so I won’t bite my tongue. Such a sorry state of affairs that the two people in the running for the most powerful job in the world are septuagenarians who appear borderline senile.

By *iman2100Man 10 weeks ago

Glasgow

Personal attacks on him every time his name is mentioned, is the fuel that inspires his supporters."

You are right. Trump's supporters suspended reality long ago and view any criticism of their idol as a cause to fight back. Their blind adherance to his every word presents a greater threat to world peace than Putin, Xi and Kim put together.

Trump's position on NATO is not, however, predicated on a desire to see it better, but to weaken it.

He knows his base. Any suggestion that the USA should withdraw from NATO would not go down well. So he set out to discredit it by saying individual countries do not pay enough. He also said that, on his watch, the USA would not only not protect "delinquent" countries but encourage Russia to invade them knowing that the rest of Europe would have to join in under Article 5.

The final reason for Trump wanting to leave NATO is far more sinister. Trump wants to be a dictator and NATO will only allow democratic countries to be members.

» Add a new message to this topic