FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Conscription

Conscription

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ackformore100 OP   Man 4 weeks ago

Tin town

With Israel once again ignoring the un resolutions and breaking international law and the increasing Russian attacks on Ukraine,.

The threat is growing everywhere.

What are people's thoughts on conscription. Could it work? Should it? Would you if called upon.?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rHotNottsMan 4 weeks ago

Cebu City

I think it’s a really good idea for lots of reasons. I think you should have the right not to fire weapons but defence of your country should be a responsibility for all citizens

By *hrimper36Couple 4 weeks ago

Central France dept 36

Like the idea of national service like they have in many countries but I think today’s population is very very different from those of 1939 but in my opinion it may be needed if war breaks out in Europe.

I’m old and slow but I’d fight to protect my village as an underground Rambo type.

T

By *ts the taking part thatMan 4 weeks ago

southampton

Conscription for none fighting roles in the military would be good, I think to fight & have the morals along with mindset you need to of signed up for that.

By *icecouple561Couple 4 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I'm too old and I couldn't ask younger people to do something like that on my behalf unless they actively volunteered.

But, if enemy soldiers were at the end of my road or threatening my loved ones I'd do whatever I had to with whatever means I had available. Currently that's an assortment of crochet hooks but...

By *wistntwirlCouple 4 weeks ago

Middle Land

Crazy this topic comes up every few days.

The keyboard warriors will march off to battle and we'll all be fine...

It would help if people stopped voting for incompetent wankers to deal with this stuff. Not that there seems to be much of a choice.

By *oistvonlipwigMan 4 weeks ago

Lancaster

They're more u.n suggestions really.

By *KentMan 4 weeks ago

Canterbury

I don’t agree with conscription personally, and thankfully can’t see it happening anytime soon.

A person should be able to make their own decision wether they want to be part of the military or not.

Tin town

"They're more u.n suggestions really. "

I like that idea... The UN have passed a new suggestion.. So watch out.

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple 4 weeks ago

Newcastle under Lyme

Provided they force conscription based on the people with the most wealth first we'd be all for it.

Middle Land

"Provided they force conscription based on the people with the most wealth first we'd be all for it."

Bit of an odd criteria.

I can see a good argument for having those who benefit from arms sales etc. go first though.

By *ugh JerectionMan 4 weeks ago

Bolton

I'm ex forces, but may be a bit over the hill to fight. But if called upon I would in a heartbeat.

We are in unchartered waters with ww3 looming large. We seriously need to look at upping our armaments, ships, planes and manpower.

Mad men and mad ideals are a real threat.

By *irtydevil666Man 4 weeks ago

bristol

I would probably end up in the home guard.....

Tin town

"I would probably end up in the home guard....."

Don't tell Im your name pike

By *sacambsMan 4 weeks ago

Huntingdon

"With Israel once again ignoring the un resolutions and breaking international law and the increasing Russian attacks on Ukraine,.

What are people's thoughts on conscription. Could it work? Should it? Would you if called upon.? "

Unfortunately, society has changed and people's attitudes have changed, to a point where it will no longer work. We should never have stopped national service in the first place, we may have a much smaller armed forces than required, but it is well trained and they want to be in it.

By *bi HaiveMan 4 weeks ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"I think it’s a really good idea for lots of reasons. I think you should have the right not to fire weapons but defence of your country should be a responsibility for all citizens "

Defence, yes.

Offence no.

I'd take responsibility when they're coming over the mendips and down the gorge.

Until then? Nope.

By *ot to giggleWoman 4 weeks ago

Coventry

half the young people today complain if they get asked to get out of bed ! could you imagine the chaos if they are told they have to get up and make it by 6am !!

be very interesting idea to actually see how many would actually go and how many would say they are too busy on their play stations

By *ophieslutTV/TS 4 weeks ago

Central

Isn't this about the 6th time asked over the past month? Probably some of those are still open.

By *ithintemptationsCouple 4 weeks ago

plymouth

Not really,The russian's would see the trout pouts and pink dresses on the guys running in the opposite direction from the isle of wight from moscow

By *ose and her beastCouple 4 weeks ago

Watford

" half the young people today complain if they get asked to get out of bed ! could you imagine the chaos if they are told they have to get up and make it by 6am !!

be very interesting idea to actually see how many would actually go and how many would say they are too busy on their play stations "

Would you?

By *ad NannaWoman 4 weeks ago

East London

" half the young people today complain if they get asked to get out of bed ! could you imagine the chaos if they are told they have to get up and make it by 6am !!

be very interesting idea to actually see how many would actually go and how many would say they are too busy on their play stations "

Go to the Ukraine to fight Russians?

Are they thinking Russia will march across Europe and invade the rest of us?

East London

Which natural resources are we fighting over?

By *oyoteUglyWoman 4 weeks ago

somewhere

I'd rather fight zombies but I guess I'd give it a go.

Tin town

A sloppy trope but I'm not sure the youngsters are the ones who are the most half arsed.

Tin town

"Isn't this about the 6th time asked over the past month? Probably some of those are still open. "

Problem.?

Middle Land

Be equally interesting to see how many of the older population were too full of cake and burgers to manage to run a mile.

By *oeBeansMan 4 weeks ago

Derby

Absolutely not. Why on earth should I contribute to a war and the killing of innocent people just to stroke a politician's ego?

Middle Land

"Absolutely not. Why on earth should I contribute to a war and the killing of innocent people just to stroke a politician's ego?"

Because the old people who never fought for anything say you should.

The jingoism over the past decade or so is pathetic.

By *rMonkeyMan 4 weeks ago

In the middle

Should not happen, I've already served so they can fuck off if they think I'm doing it again

By *oeBeansMan 4 weeks ago

Derby

"Absolutely not. Why on earth should I contribute to a war and the killing of innocent people just to stroke a politician's ego?

Because the old people who never fought for anything say you should.

The jingoism over the past decade or so is pathetic."

I remember doing history GCSCE and learning about how propaganda was a big component in getting people to enlist and thought there was no way that would happen now as people would be too informed to fall for it and I don't think that opinion aged well at all...

By *ark73XXXMan 4 weeks ago

North Staffs/South Cheshire

Yes, but make it from 18-70 and see how many of the older generation support it then

By *tylebender03Man 4 weeks ago

Manchester

Nope I’m not interested in fighting another mans war, I’ve got better things to do. Unless there’s an invasion with enemy soldiers in the street I’m not getting involved.

East London

"Yes, but make it from 18-70 and see how many of the older generation support it then "

If I were fighting to keep my family safe I'd say plot me up somewhere and give me something to shoot with.

I can't run so I'd need a little hide somewhere I can detonate if the enemy comes close.

I don't condone war or killing but if it's them or us I'd be with us.

By *ark73XXXMan 4 weeks ago

North Staffs/South Cheshire

"Yes, but make it from 18-70 and see how many of the older generation support it then

If I were fighting to keep my family safe I'd say plot me up somewhere and give me something to shoot with.

I can't run so I'd need a little hide somewhere I can detonate if the enemy comes close.

I don't condone war or killing but if it's them or us I'd be with us."

My word - I’m reminded of the words of President Kennedy - we all live on this small planet, we all breath the same air and we are all mortal

By *zzxMan 4 weeks ago

Kingston upon Thames

If Ukraine were actually given what they needed to do combined operations we would likely be much closer to a peace deal than we are now. The long game suits Russia and has given them the chance to move to a War time economy and fortify the defensive line. They’re now on the front foot again as Ukraine is stretched with resources.

Israel heavily relies on the US for arms and support. The US should have been perfectly clear that Israel is not allowed to collectively punish an entire population as that constitutes a war crime. They could give Israel the ultimatum. Stop now and we’ll have your back or continue and you lose your last ally and you’re on your own.

If conscription happens it’s because of a total lack in political and moral leadership from our self serving class of politicians. Younger generations especially Gen Z have every right to tell them to fuck off.

By *alandNitaCouple 4 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

"Yes, but make it from 18-70 and see how many of the older generation support it then

I don't condone war or killing but if it's them or us I'd be with us."

This.

But I don't think conscription is workable. The armed forces we have are under funded... how would they deal with a load of people who don't even want to be there?

Nita

By *oubleswing2019Man 4 weeks ago

Colchester

There won't be much point of conscription once the first nukes fly. What barracks or indeed societal cohesion and infrastructure will be left ? Nothing. Nothing but glowing, radioactive ashes.

At least here in Colchester, we'll be gone so quickly, you'd barely notice the flash before being vapourised.

Although I did kind of figure, being in a house that hurtled at a few hundred mph away from the blast might be a bit ouchy. For a moment at least.

By *ynseylee12Couple 4 weeks ago

boston

"I'm too old and I couldn't ask younger people to do something like that on my behalf unless they actively volunteered.

But, if enemy soldiers were at the end of my road or threatening my loved ones I'd do whatever I had to with whatever means I had available. Currently that's an assortment of crochet hooks but..."

Love to crochet myself when I get time

And yes I think I could also use them as a weapon haha x

By *ynseylee12Couple 4 weeks ago

boston

I wouldn’t want my children putting their lives out for rich man wars!.

Twunts need to pack the f*ck up! Greed and power.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I'm too old and I couldn't ask younger people to do something like that on my behalf unless they actively volunteered.

But, if enemy soldiers were at the end of my road or threatening my loved ones I'd do whatever I had to with whatever means I had available. Currently that's an assortment of crochet hooks but...

Love to crochet myself when I get time

And yes I think I could also use them as a weapon haha x"

I could have someone's eye out with one but they're no match for an automatic weapon

Colchester

"I wouldn’t want my children putting their lives out for rich man wars!.

Twunts need to pack the f*ck up! Greed and power.

"

Indeed. And that's how I think a war could be brought to a rapid end. Instead of some battalion on one side, meeting another in the field somewhere, drop our battalion on some oligarch's house and flatten it. Then do it again on another of their properties. Keep on doing it. Degrade their property, again and again. All their properties.

Take away "their toys", and they will want to stop playing the game.

An oligarch cannot fund a war if they have no home (having lost all of them). they might have money in a bank(s) somewhere, though banks don't operate very well when they cease to exist or they have been embargoed to prevent trade and services.

Go for the weak points. Things that cannot run and hide. Like property and assets of those who fund the war.

By *addy2783Man 4 weeks ago

Northamptonshire

"Absolutely not. Why on earth should I contribute to a war and the killing of innocent people just to stroke a politician's ego?"

By (user no longer on site) 4 weeks ago

With how shit Capita is, the conscripts wouldn't even make the front lines before the war ended as they'd be rejected from service due to their great-great grandparents having a sore knee once.

I'll keep saying this, fuck Capita and fuck the people who allowed them control over our nations recruitment, they are the biggest traitors in this nation maybe apart from landlords and politicians.

By *andyfloss2000Woman 4 weeks ago

ashford

Absolutely not! X

By *ames250122Man 4 weeks ago

Worcester

I’m all for swingers conscription, where citizens have to spend a few years representing our country as swingers, traveling all over the world on the governments expense and getting involved in wild butt naked Swinging fun to end the hostilities that all brits are stuffy and don’t know how to have fun

By (user no longer on site) 4 weeks ago

If someone could give me a reason that we are fighting other than power and greed then I'd consider it. I'm not proud of this country, I'm not supportive of our government and I'm not willing to lose my life for small men syndrome.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man 4 weeks ago

BRIDPORT

Eat more fibre and keep active and if that doesn’t do the trick try a bit of milk of magnesia.

By *onameyet2Man 4 weeks ago

chorley

"Crazy this topic comes up every few days.

It would help if people stopped voting for incompetent wankers to deal with this stuff. Not that there seems to be much of a choice. "

Yeah get Blair back plenty more WOMD out there to find

chorley

I’ve been listening to this from old people all my life

chorley

Just popped outside, not an invasion in sight, back to coffee then

By *idnight RamblerMan 4 weeks ago

Pershore

I resided in Singapore for some time where they have National Service. It seemed to be accepted by most, who benefited from military routine and discipline. The commissioned officers especially were valued in business and commerce.

By *ynecplCouple 4 weeks ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

Think it would be a good idea but as with all things it would need to be backed by serious money and proper planning and development, all of which I have no confidence would be done any UK government.

It is no good sticking a load of young people in a uniform and having them march up and down for two or three years and then expecting them to put up serious resistance if there was a conflict.

Just look at Russia for an example of what happens when you send poorly trained conscripts to the front line, they are literally cannon fodder yet a fairly well trained and well equipped Ukrainian army has held them up for two years now something that should not have happen to an army the size of the Russian one.

By *host63Man 4 weeks ago

Bedfont Feltham

I am too old and have a disability anyway.

I don't want to see it happen butnif war broke out I suppose some form of conscription would happen.

However today's youngsters would resist the call up so I doubt it would work anyway.

The forces the UK are too small to defend the country.

Newcastle upon Tyne

"I am too old and have a disability anyway.

I don't want to see it happen butnif war broke out I suppose some form of conscription would happen.

However today's youngsters would resist the call up so I doubt it would work anyway.

The forces the UK are too small to defend the country. "

Actually I would argue with modern technology, the right training and being well motivated a small army could very easily defend this country.

Newcastle upon Tyne

"I am too old and have a disability anyway.

The forces the UK are too small to defend the country. "

Actually I would argue with modern technology, the right training and being well motivated a small army could very easily defend this country.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Those who are saying that young people would either be incapable or resist being called up, what makes you believe that?

By *iDilf4funMan 4 weeks ago

Town

We are in the same situation we were in 1939 when we only had a small army, went to Dunkirk and got our arses kicked and then relied on conscription for the long war ahead. Arguably today’s society is not as robust or motivated as what I call the greatest generation and an army reflects its society. Who knows what would happen.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I think that if the threat was real, the nation felt it was in danger and crucially the propaganda was effective people would be queueing to join up. Then we'd all be on our doorstep at 8pm on a Thursday banging saucepans for our 'brave boys and girls' and posting white feathers through letterboxes of anyone dodging conscription.

By *mg 321Man 4 weeks ago

Blackpool

"Provided they force conscription based on the people with the most wealth first we'd be all for it."

Why, are wealthy people less human than others?

By *howtime100Man 4 weeks ago

Central belt

[Removed by poster at 12/04/24 09:30:33]

By *howtime100Man 4 weeks ago

Central belt

Really? Young people wouldn't be keen on compulsory military service? I find that hard to believe...

Newcastle upon Tyne

"I think that if the threat was real, the nation felt it was in danger and crucially the propaganda was effective people would be queueing to join up. Then we'd all be on our doorstep at 8pm on a Thursday banging saucepans for our 'brave boys and girls' and posting white feathers through letterboxes of anyone dodging conscription. "

Agree 100% if there was a genuine threat then I think the young would rise to the challenge. You will always get a small minority who would resist but on the whole most would heed the call.

Why do soldiers still go forward when there are rounds flying around them and artillery shells exploding in in their area. It boils down to good training, belief in what they are doing but most importantly pier pressure and comradeship, you don't want to let your friends and colleagues down.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I think that if the threat was real, the nation felt it was in danger and crucially the propaganda was effective people would be queueing to join up. Then we'd all be on our doorstep at 8pm on a Thursday banging saucepans for our 'brave boys and girls' and posting white feathers through letterboxes of anyone dodging conscription.

Agree 100% if there was a genuine threat then I think the young would rise to the challenge. You will always get a small minority who would resist but on the whole most would heed the call.

Why do soldiers still go forward when there are rounds flying around them and artillery shells exploding in in their area. It boils down to good training, belief in what they are doing but most importantly pier pressure and comradeship, you don't want to let your friends and colleagues down."

What would happen if everyone just said "nah, I'm not fighting" and went home?

chorley

That’s no good, you would have peace breaking out all over the place

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"That’s no good, you would have peace breaking out all over the place "

And we couldn't have that now could we

Newcastle upon Tyne

"I think that if the threat was real, the nation felt it was in danger and crucially the propaganda was effective people would be queueing to join up. Then we'd all be on our doorstep at 8pm on a Thursday banging saucepans for our 'brave boys and girls' and posting white feathers through letterboxes of anyone dodging conscription.

Why do soldiers still go forward when there are rounds flying around them and artillery shells exploding in in their area. It boils down to good training, belief in what they are doing but most importantly pier pressure and comradeship, you don't want to let your friends and colleagues down.

What would happen if everyone just said "nah, I'm not fighting" and went home?"

Then sadly people like Putin and Trump who are prepared to go against social norms would rule the world.

Like it or not people will abuse and take advantage of others. The world is not and never will be a utopian society and those who believe differently are delusional.

By *exbecs12Woman 4 weeks ago

Land of roman gods

"Crazy this topic comes up every few days.

It would help if people stopped voting for incompetent wankers to deal with this stuff. Not that there seems to be much of a choice. "

Agree with first part about this subject

By *exbecs12Woman 4 weeks ago

Land of roman gods

Hey admin this should be in politics cheers.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

What would happen if everyone just said "nah, I'm not fighting" and went home?

Then sadly people like Putin and Trump who are prepared to go against social norms would rule the world.

Like it or not people will abuse and take advantage of others. The world is not and never will be a utopian society and those who believe differently are delusional."

True and humans are warlike anyway. There will always be people ready to fight other people .

By *hristopherd999Man 4 weeks ago

Brentwood

If 1200 innocent men women and children hadn't been killed on Oct 7, this wouldn't be happening

Tin town

"If 1200 innocent men women and children hadn't been killed on Oct 7, this wouldn't be happening"

And if... How far do you want to go back.? It's not reasonable to just point to one event, there are many connected events before and after the balfour treaty. There's no excuse for what happened in the event you point out. It was horrific. And there's certainly no excuse for some of what a so called civilised nation has done since. It's shameful that it's being tolerated. This doesn't end well.

Tin town

"Those who are saying that young people would either be incapable or resist being called up, what makes you believe that?"

I think it's easy to point the finger... You only have to look at the treatment of our younger generation during the c word. There's a lot of them doing really good things. Don't forget it's the older generation that are leaving their legacy to the younger generation. Not too many of our youngsters had a say in the events of today.

Tin town

"I think that if the threat was real, the nation felt it was in danger and crucially the propaganda was effective people would be queueing to join up. Then we'd all be on our doorstep at 8pm on a Thursday banging saucepans for our 'brave boys and girls' and posting white feathers through letterboxes of anyone dodging conscription. "

Amazon are doing next day white feather delivery to any address so we don't even have lift a finger.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Those who are saying that young people would either be incapable or resist being called up, what makes you believe that?

I think it's easy to point the finger... You only have to look at the treatment of our younger generation during the c word. There's a lot of them doing really good things. Don't forget it's the older generation that are leaving their legacy to the younger generation. Not too many of our youngsters had a say in the events of today. "

I haven't forgotten that I'm only too acutely aware (partly because young people keep reminding me lol).

I think young people now are no different to how they ever were. I find it odd that a lot of people only ever notice the bad stuff while the majority of the younger population are in education or slogging away at some job or the other in desperate hopes of being able to eventually pay an exorbitant rent.

Frankly if push came to shove I'd sooner have an under 35 defending me than an army of rude, entitled, lazy, whining old people who had to take an ibuprofen and a radox bath before they could lift a rifle or whatever we're firing at our hapless counterparts nowadays.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Amazon are doing next day white feather delivery to any address so we don't even have lift a finger. "

Already got 5% for a subscription...

By *tuhelCouple 4 weeks ago

Livingstone

My parents generation fought and died so Britain and Europe could be free from the tyrany of the NAZIs. As a result, Britain has now been through the longest period of general peace in the History of our country as a result.

We do however face a real threat from the largest country on earth run by a dictator who does not care at all how many die in pursuit of his goals of global conquest.

So, there may come a time when we must prepare to turn back the Russian aggressors and this will require young men and women to be trained by the military.

I am far to old but will do my part. I am saddened though to hear those who think they have a God given choice to decide not to defend their own country because we have had crap government for the last two decades.

Middle Land

"My parents generation fought and died so Britain and Europe could be free from the tyrany of the NAZIs. As a result, Britain has now been through the longest period of general peace in the History of our country as a result.

We do however face a real threat from the largest country on earth run by a dictator who does not care at all how many die in pursuit of his goals of global conquest.

So, there may come a time when we must prepare to turn back the Russian aggressors and this will require young men and women to be trained by the military.

I am far to old but will do my part. I am saddened though to hear those who think they have a God given choice to decide not to defend their own country because we have had crap government for the last two decades.

"

Did Russia fight in that war too?

I don't think I have a 'god given' choice to decide whether to fight for politicians. I have an educated choice... for now at least.

By *iDilf4funMan 4 weeks ago

Town

"My parents generation fought and died so Britain and Europe could be free from the tyrany of the NAZIs. As a result, Britain has now been through the longest period of general peace in the History of our country as a result.

I don't think I have a 'god given' choice to decide whether to fight for politicians. I have an educated choice... for now at least."

Absolutely Russia fought and have fought in many conflicts. Hitler took on too much by taking on the West and Russia. After the war Russia then became our Cold War enemies and have been ever since. They have a huge army and load of kits but not as good as the west. Their tactics are also lacking as is their quality of soldiers as evidenced in Ukraine. However they have Nukes and a madman with his finger on their trigger and that’s a whole different game changer.

Middle Land

"However they have Nukes and a madman with his finger on their trigger and that’s a whole different game changer. "

Indeed. Not something that will be solved by signing up lots of new soldiers though.

Tin town

I don't think I have a 'god given' choice to decide whether to fight for politicians. I have an educated choice... for now at least.

Absolutely Russia fought and have fought in many conflicts. Hitler took on too much by taking on the West and Russia. After the war Russia then became our Cold War enemies and have been ever since. They have a huge army and load of kits but not as good as the west. Their tactics are also lacking as is their quality of soldiers as evidenced in Ukraine. However they have Nukes and a madman with his finger on their trigger and that’s a whole different game changer. "

And as we have seen.. They really don't give a shit about casualties and losses.

Newcastle upon Tyne

"However they have Nukes and a madman with his finger on their trigger and that’s a whole different game changer.

Indeed. Not something that will be solved by signing up lots of new soldiers though."

Very true but sadly if you don't have a military force to counter such a threat what do you think said madman or men would do. It is all very well saying I would not/will not fight but somebody has to be prepared to otherwise your freedom and lifestyle will very quickly disappear. I don't think conscription is the solution but we need the armed forces and we need to spend a lot more money on bringing them back up to standard with the right kit and training otherwise we will quickly find that the hard fought freedoms of previous generations will have been for nothing.

We can't rely on others such as the US because tlit only takes a Trump or some other American Politician to decide to withdraw from NATO and we are left wide open with no true defence.

By *tuhelCouple 4 weeks ago

Livingstone

I don't think I have a 'god given' choice to decide whether to fight for politicians. I have an educated choice... for now at least."

Yes Russia fought to defend itself and millions died.

So, when others have fought and died and won your freedom (not politicians) at great cost. You will no doubt believe, like Donald J Trump, that they were "losers" and "suckers" because they did not excercise their "educated" choice not to fight for their country.

Middle Land

"You will no doubt believe, like Donald J Trump, that they were "losers" and "suckers" because they did not excercise their "educated" choice not to fight for their country. "

I think there were 20 million losers... all with families.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 4 weeks ago

golden fields

"With Israel once again ignoring the un resolutions and breaking international law and the increasing Russian attacks on Ukraine,.

What are people's thoughts on conscription. Could it work? Should it? Would you if called upon.? "

Terrible idea. First off they'd have us on the side of Israel, helping them massacre even more civilians.

Secondly it's simply not necessarily. We don't need to defend the country with large numbers of cannon fodder anymore.

By *zzxMan 4 weeks ago

Kingston upon Thames

In the event of the UK fighting for its existence on our shores there won’t be an age bracket for conscription. If you think you’re too old or disabled you can think again. A lot of Drone operators just require you to be able to hold a controller and use your thumbs whilst wearing a headset.

You’ll be heading to the lines too.

By *atEvolutionCouple 4 weeks ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

If anyone thinks that they are too old, they can always grow potatoes. A war can't run without potatoes.

Tin town

"If anyone thinks that they are too old, they can always grow potatoes. A war can't run without potatoes.

"

Very topical

"If anyone thinks that they are too old, they can always grow potatoes. A war can't run without potatoes.

Very topical"

You have to have a sense of humour too.

Colchester

In a conventional, "boots on the ground", mechanised kind of war, there might be a need for additional cannon fodder.

But this is not 1945.

And we face no threat of invasion from anyone, let's be honest.

Training and equipment for an uplift an an army's boots on the ground is hideously expensive and long winded.

It's cheaper to buy nukes, which are also more effective. More Bang for your Buck, as they say.

The highest echelons with their bunkers and contingencies really have nothing to lose lobbing them. They will be fine.

Newcastle upon Tyne

"In a conventional, "boots on the ground", mechanised kind of war, there might be a need for additional cannon fodder.

But this is not 1945.

And we face no threat of invasion from anyone, let's be honest.

Training and equipment for an uplift an an army's boots on the ground is hideously expensive and long winded.

It's cheaper to buy nukes, which are also more effective. More Bang for your Buck, as they say.

The highest echelons with their bunkers and contingencies really have nothing to lose lobbing them. They will be fine.

"

Wrong on so many levels. If the leaders had no regard then Putin would already have launched tactical nukes in Ukraine. We now all see the need to have nukes sadly as it is only the threat of mutual destruction that has prevented him from launching them so far. That means if no body is prepared to use nukes that we do actually need those boots on the ground. One thing that has become apparent from Ukraine is that we do need more troops, not as many as in 1939 to 1945 but more than we currently have. They also need to be skilled with the latest technology such as drones whilst also having good tanks and artillery. Tanks and Artillery are something the UK government has been cutting back on and will now need to have a rethink about.

Colchester

"

Wrong on so many levels. If the leaders had no regard then Putin would already have launched tactical nukes in Ukraine. We now all see the need to have nukes sadly as it is only the threat of mutual destruction that has prevented him from launching them so far. That means if no body is prepared to use nukes that we do actually need those boots on the ground. One thing that has become apparent from Ukraine is that we do need more troops, not as many as in 1939 to 1945 but more than we currently have. They also need to be skilled with the latest technology such as drones whilst also having good tanks and artillery. Tanks and Artillery are something the UK government has been cutting back on and will now need to have a rethink about."

France is preparing for war, and a large portion of their budget is not boots on the ground spending.

A sizeable amount is going towards developing a new capability for their air to ground missiles to carry a 300 kiloton thermonuclear warheads that can strike beyond 500 km, and acquiring 32 new fighter jets by 2032 which can launch from their 27 different air bases strategically.

Greater minds that either of us have seen the shape of things to come, and it's clear that they project a need for nuclear-strike capable aircraft.

(A fair chunk of spending is also going on Space and Cyber Defence (and when I say "Defence", we all know that includes the opposite too).

I'm not sure where the idea assorted countries have many years at their leisure to build up their forces comes from. Look how quickly Ukraine escalated. The same mistakes won't be made again.

The rules around M.A.D are over. The gloves are almost off. They've "protected" nations for decades, but that only lasts until it doesn't.

There comes a point when you think to yourself, "I'm in my bunker. I'm ok. I have enough infrastructure and support personnel here with me with to ride it out. I've got nothing to lose. True, millions of my citizens will die, but so will theirs too. Risk it for a biscuit."

Appalling I know, but you, me and 99.9% of the others on the planet are expendable in the eyes of some very dangerous folks.

"

Appalling I know, but you, me and 99.9% of the others on the planet are expendable in the eyes of some very dangerous folks.

"

Only to Rule over a Nuclear Winter that may last for decades. That would be an achievement for Putin, huh? Locked in his bunker with pictures of bears rippling his muscles in a mirror and feeling smug thinking he told the World so. When the Schools biggest bully has noone left to bully the fight suddenly fades away.

And at least 2 of four Vanguard Class Nuclear Submarines in the Barents Sea around the clock. And he knows we are there, alongside the French and the Americans.

The World is currently talking up a fight of defence not a preparation for the inevitable.

Colchester

"

Only to Rule over a Nuclear Winter that may last for decades. That would be an achievement for Putin, huh? Locked in his bunker with pictures of bears rippling his muscles in a mirror and feeling smug thinking he told the World so. When the Schools biggest bully has noone left to bully the fight suddenly fades away.

"

Would it thought ? I mean, if I was Putin, I'd have a few "bunkers" all around the world, some tucked in far away places, remote islands and the like. All ready to go, with hydroponic farms and the like. Constant state of readiness. Not so bad now, is it ?

By *idnight RamblerMan 4 weeks ago

Pershore

A brigade of Fabbers would have the Spetznaz running for the hills

By *amish SMan 4 weeks ago

Eastleigh

Strange some think it would not work, modern times, offence and defence etc.

Whether you are a conscript, national service, subject to call up etc, when someone is on your doorstep and going to do those awful things to your women and children like they have in Ukraine, you will suddenly become combatant. Offence or defence? best place to defend your country / home is not on your own boundry or border. If the UK ever has to defend its border then we'll be already right up the creek without a paddle.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan 3 weeks ago

Hastings

"I think it’s a really good idea for lots of reasons. I think you should have the right not to fire weapons but defence of your country should be a responsibility for all citizens

Defence, yes.

Offence no.

I'd take responsibility when they're coming over the mendips and down the gorge.

Until then? Nope. "

Sometimes OFFENSIVE is the best defence I would if able to but at 56 I guess they would be desperate.

By *ames250122Man 3 weeks ago

Worcester

I think my granddad said it best. He joined up the day the war broke out in WW2 and was a solider in the British army until 1947- 1949. He detested conscription and supports of it with a passion and wanted the sacrifice he and others made, the horrors they endured to mean something that was lasting, so the generations that followed never had to go through what they did. He’d say whenever a politician would pop up on tv, pushing the idea of conscription. “If they’re so desperate to send someone off to fight, to war and shed blood then send themselves and let them go off and fight and die and rid the rest of us of their stupidity.” Which is a fair point, unless it’s in the streets and then things like age etc isn’t going to excuse anyone. If you can still aim and shoot they’ll stick a gun in your hand and tell you to fight, same as they did in the real battle Zulu based on. At that point though conscription pointless and there far bigger things to worry about. I do think for me personally I would never want anyone to fight or die for something on my behalf and though under normal circumstances I’d be to old to join the army, if actually in such a desperate time then I fight myself first before every dreaming of supporting something that would force someone else to do it in my stead. Right or wrong I personally don’t think anyone that conscription wouldn’t encompass or also involve them being called up to serve should have a say in the matter. They’re not the ones that will have to face the horrors of war, be mutilated or die before they’ve had any life. Eager to rob kids of evening having a chance of knowing what it like to fall in love, get married or have kids because it doesn’t effect them as they sit safely at home or pubs talking rubbish. Like my grandad I guess, I think If it so important a reason to someone that why a person think it something people should fight and die for, then they should be in it, up at the front and leading by example with no excuse to exclude themselves. It simple really, if you think you be no good in a battle, or fodder for what ever reason then you should do everything to ensure it doesn’t come to war for anyone. Happily promoting it for other while hiding behind excuses why you can’t fight seems cowardly to me. It’s either get stuck in if so important or accept surrender and live with how life is after, not put it on or blame others, not run down a generation like they’re something to look down on while expecting them to all fight and die for you while hiding behind your excuses as why you couldn’t possibly do what your demeaningly demanding they do. Truly mind boggling the content shown to the younger generations when they have far more about them and ability to over come then a lot of the generations that followed after the WW2 gen, who constantly expect others to do things for them with no appreciation or humility, while with complete contempt happily sell out the future generations so they can still have it good. Don’t get me wrong, no gen perfect but it pot kettle to run down todays youth when it’s on the gens before for the state of how things are today in the world, not the next gen

By *wistntwirlCouple 3 weeks ago

Middle Land

^

Bizarre to see so many who would readily send their children and grand children to die.

By *idnight RamblerMan 3 weeks ago

Pershore

"^

Bizarre to see so many who would readily send their children and grand children to die."

In a modern war, far more civilians get killed in a war than combatants. The ratio depends on the circumstances, but it can be 5:1.

By *loscouplegl3Couple 3 weeks ago

Gloucester

Not this nonsense again.

A) Conscription doesn’t work. The army of the 50s/60s suffered massively in quality terms. The ‘Duration’ conscription terms of WW2 had ended and the 24 monthers didn’t want to be there.

B) we have a tiny industrial base now and barely the means to arm, supply, equip or clothe our existing under sized force. Adding conscripts would be un-supportable.

C) In Defence of our country - from who? Russia is the most likely opponent and it doesn't have the means to invade. It could try a parachute invasion but most of the VDV have been killed in Ukrainian, few long range transports and no means of re-supplying them.

D) badly trained and equipped Russian conscripts in Ukraine are dying in their thousands. Lesson learned!

By *1bttmMan 3 weeks ago

Shoreditch east London

We're a fragmented and diverse nation. Many people don't have the values today associated back in the times of WWI & WWII. Patriotism nowadays doesn't really exist.

Times have changed and with equal rights would that mean both men and women would have to be conscripted?

How about all those people who have come here from war torn countries? Or those living here from the nation we're fighting against? Would conscription include them? It's been said a lot of the people escaping these countries are young single men, if they're not willing to stay and fight in their own country what chance is there that they would do for us? I don't see it fair that the nationals of the host country should be the only ones it would apply too.

By *loscouplegl3Couple 3 weeks ago

Gloucester

"We're a fragmented and diverse nation. Many people don't have the values today associated back in the times of WWI & WWII. Patriotism nowadays doesn't really exist.

Times have changed and with equal rights would that mean both men and women would have to be conscripted?

How about all those people who have come here from war torn countries? Or those living here from the nation we're fighting against? Would conscription include them? It's been said a lot of the people escaping these countries are young single men, if they're not willing to stay and fight in their own country what chance is there that they would do for us? I don't see it fair that the nationals of the host country should be the only ones it would apply too.

"

Very good questions

By *alandNitaCouple 3 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

"

"

If we're just talking about Asylum Seekers (6% of total immigration), official figures show that 41% are Adult Males (over 14), the remaining 59% are women & children (under 14).

I'm fairly certain that you couldn't conscript anybody who wasn't a British citizen. Many immigrants don't seek citizenship, whilst for those that do the it usually takes around 10 years from entry into the country.

Cal

By *1bttmMan 3 weeks ago

Shoreditch east London

"

If we're just talking about Asylum Seekers (6% of total immigration), official figures show that 41% are Adult Males (over 14), the remaining 59% are women & children (under 14).

I'm fairly certain that you couldn't conscript anybody who wasn't a British citizen. Many immigrants don't seek citizenship, whilst for those that do the it usually takes around 10 years from entry into the country.

Cal"

Thanks for the figures but I was trying to point out our society has changed significantly since the earlier use and reasons for conscription. Conscription back then was totally different in how it was applied and even considered a duty that was expected. Hence my use of the term patriotism.

We have such a diverse and rich culture now. General Sir Patrick Sanders recently said we need to prepare for a pre war world and threats are out there. Whether u feel this is scaremongering or not, with such a varied population my point is why would u only expect those with British citizenship to fight for the freedom and rights of everyone living here. Don't u think it should include everyone that's here to protect what we have?

Conscription in its previous form wouldn't work for the reasons I stated earlier.

» Add a new message to this topic